Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome to the Rise and Conquer Podcast. I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson. I am a lawyer, tend health coach, social media influencer, wife and dogmam. On the Rise and Conquer Podcast, we dive deep into all things mindset, habits, career, health, relationships and more. This is a podcast for women who want to rise up to be the best version of themselves, who have big dreams in who are willing to put in the work to get there. I want to bring you the tools and actionable steps to feel confident in yourself, inspired to take bold action, and motivated to conquer your goals. Are you with me, girl friends, Let's rise and conquer.
Speaker 2: Hi, guys, and welcome to the first episode of the Rising Punker Podcast. I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson, and we're going to get straight into it. First up, I just wanted to explain a little bit why I created this podcast, what to expect, and then we're going to get into the good stuff. And I am telling you all about how to stick to your new year's goals. It is the start of the year, and I know we can all feel excited and have these big goals, but often it literally comes the first of February and they.
Speaker 3: All go down the drain.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to go through my biggest tips and what I implement to actually accomplish my goals. So I have been listening to podcasts for over a year now, and I am very obsessed. I first started listening when I was commuting from home to work when I worked at a law firm during my degree, and it was a way sort of to bypass the time. I get bus sick so I couldn't read anything on my phone and a friend had told me about it, and I fell in love straight away. Because I'm a scholar, I love learning about new things and I also love multitasking, so I would be on the bus I listened for a podcast. It was always about saying I was really interested in and then I feel like I wasn't wasting that time. I'm a tie paid person, so I like to be going. I like to be doing like two things at once, like getting stuff done. Also, not to be a bit extreme, but podcasts definitely changed my life.
Speaker 3: Tiny bit of a background.
Speaker 2: I think I'll do a whole podcast with more of a background, but basically, like finished my law degree, I studied law for five years. I worked in a law firm, and just as I got admitted as a lawyer, I actually quit that and I then ventured and pursued my passion of health and fitness. I am currently a health coach and so that was a massive change in my life. And I honestly owe podcasts because it was them that sort of gave me the motivation and made me believe in myself enough to actually pursue my passions rather than stick to my safety blanket, which was the law job. So I really wanted to create the same inspiration for you girls out there and just have like a bit of I almost want to call it like a pep talk podcast, and I want to inspire and motivate you guys to believe in yourselves and to find your power to pursue your goals and dreams, because I honestly have never been happier doing.
Speaker 3: What I do now.
Speaker 2: So what to expect from this podcast. I'm hoping to do a weekly podcast and I am hoping to get some inspirational guests on here too. So enough with the admin, let's get straight into it.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure you all have.
Speaker 2: Some big goals, some big dreams. I feel there's like change in twenty nineteen, and I feel like so many women just have these absolute, massive, inspiring goals and it's honestly getting me so excited. But I do know this does happen at the start of the year, Evan. Everyone feels really inspired and motivated, and sometimes it is hard to stick to your goals and it is hard to sort of get to that end point. And so I just want to go through some tips that I have implemented over the years, and specifically in this last year, because I had some big goals and I accomplished some big things and it wasn't without struggle. And I feel like if you don't have struggle, the goal is probably not big enough. So if you do have big goals, you're probably going to go through struggle.
Speaker 3: But it's all good. I've got some tips for you, and we're.
Speaker 2: Just going to chat about basically how to get over those hurdles. My first tip is to have a plan. Now, you may have already done this, if you are really into planning goals, you probably have, but I just want to speak about this for people who maybe haven't, and so I want you guys to have a plan and break your goals down, break your big goals down into smaller line items. So literally want you to list how you are going to accomplish those goals into smaller little steps. Also, throughout this podcast, I'm going to give you an example of one of my twenty nineteen goals just because I love examples and it's probably going to make a lot more sense. So one of my twenty nineteen goals was to start a podcast currently listening before the end of January, and basically to have it all up live and running. So I hope when you're listening to this podcast, if you're one of the first ones, that it's like around this time and I've actually accomplished this goal. Anyway, moving on, so I want you to break down the goal further. So a little example what I did when I was writing this goal down in December. I literally listed everything. So I listed stuff like create a podcast Instagram, talk to my cousin about podcast graphics. My cousin is a graphic designer and she helps me with that sort of side of things. She did my YouTube. She's amazing. I also had stuff like book in a monthly meeting with mel to go over content. We love to book in meetings. If you didn't know, Mel works for me, so she helps out with heaps of stuff. So book in a meeting to go through it. I wrote stuff down like by headset, by equipment, teach myself how to use equipment, plan episodes one to four before we go live, decide how I'm going to publish, Plan it all out in the calendar, book in a weekly spot to record, start brainstorming who I want to come on the podcast. So that was like a list of things that I wrote, and I really broke down my goal. This allows you so you can see actionable steps and it won't be as overwhelming. If you just have this big goal and no little steps of how to get there, you are going to feel overwhelmed and you don't want to be like, Okay, it's too hard, I'm just not going to bother. Also, with these smaller sort of goals and steps, make sure you also give yourself a reasonable date and put that in like a calendar or a diary, and that is going to keep yourself accountable. My second tip is to think of all the hurdles that you may encounter when you want to complete this goal and how you're going to jump over them. Think about what are some things that might stop you from achieving this goal, How are you going to deal with them? How are you going to overcome them? So I just think this is a really good idea because usually at the start of your goal you have so much more motivation. So I think it's good to think of it now rather than when it comes up, because it may be down the track you may be not feeling as much motivation and you may want to give up easier.
Speaker 3: So let's just think of all.
Speaker 2: The negatives, everything that could go wrong right now, and let's have solutions for them. So when they happen, you're going to be like, easy, I know what to do. I'll give you some little example. So obviously with creating a podcast, guys, I am horrible at technology, literally shocking. I'm currently using this program to record this podcast, and it honestly took me like six days to work it out. And then I actually paid a tech guide come and showed me and it was that easy. I was very embarrassed. So I'm horrible with tech. I've had issues with my computer and YouTube and all that sort of stuff, and so I use this company where they'll literally send a guy to your house and use pay him per hour. So I actually called them up and I said, Hey, I'm going to start a podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm probably going to have some issues. I'm using.
Speaker 2: You know, this headset and this sound block whatever you call it.
Speaker 3: Would you have.
Speaker 2: Someone that could help me if things go wrong? And they were like, yep, no problem. I put this in the system. It's all good. So if technology issues happen, I.
Speaker 3: Am all good.
Speaker 2: Also another big hurdle for me that I thought with creating a podcast and getting out before January is I have a really hectic schedule in January, Like I am going to Sydney for an event with Jym Shark and I'm there for eight nights, so I kind of need to get very sorted. So I mapped everything out in January and I planned all my podcasting days, when I was recording, when I was editing, and all that sort of stuff. So I planned it out so I was organized, and it didn't get to like the second last day of January and I was like, oh my god, I've got to do everything.
Speaker 3: So that was really important for me.
Speaker 2: Another hurdle that I saw was not being able to keep up with the content.
Speaker 3: If you guys didn't know I have where you probably do.
Speaker 2: But I have an Instagram and a YouTube that I also put out content on. With Instagram, I literally post most days, and with YouTube, I currently post twice a week, and I do this full time, guys, So I know you're probably thinking I don't understand, but the amount of time and effort I put into my content is actually crazy, and I'm already very busy, and so I'm adding in a podcast, and I when I was creating this goal, I honestly didn't know how long it was going to take me to record, to edit or anything like that. So I said to myself, I really need to get organized. So I've now mapped things out in my calendar where I do certain things on certain days, and it's really up to me just to be very organized with that so I'm not falling behind. Also, I've said to myself, worst case scenario, I dropped that a YouTube on a video on YouTube, sorry, and a video on YouTube honestly takes me maybe like twelve to sixteen hours. So I thought, that's definitely going to give me enough time to have a podcast out there, because it is really important to me at the moment to put some time and effort into this podcast because it is an absolute dream and goal. So I've already mentally prepared this all in my head, which I think is really important. So if it does get to the time and everything is too much, I've really thought about it, and I'm not going to have a mental breakdown because I tend to do that sometimes.
Speaker 3: So basically, I.
Speaker 2: Want you to think about what could be hurdles to actually reaching your goal and be prepared, like, think of the worst, how are you going to get there. Also, the reason why I want you to think about this is like, be okay with it. If this is a big goal, Let's be honest. You're probably going to struggle. There's going to be hurdles, and be okay with that because it's like that saying like nothing good comes easy, or I think that's the same, or something like that. So that's what I want you to do. I think that's a really important step. Next up, I want you to share your goals with your friends and family. I know this can be super daunting. I'm personally a very private person, even though I put a lot of my life on the internet, but Honestly, sometimes I feel more confident saying stuff on my story in YouTube than I do to my friends and family. I don't know why I'm dealing with it anyway.
Speaker 4: Moving on, So the reason why I want you to do this is because I read statistic ones and it said something like, if you write your goals down, you're a forty seven percent more likely to reach them.
Speaker 3: And if you tell someone you were.
Speaker 2: Seventy two percent more likely to reach your goal, that's a crazy percentage.
Speaker 3: And so it's so true.
Speaker 2: I actually made a YouTube video before Christmas and I told everyone on YouTube that I wanted to create a podcast and I wanted to have it out before January because I wanted you guys to know, and I wanted that to be something to keep me accountable because honestly, like when you tell people you're so much more driven to achieve.
Speaker 3: The goal, well personally I am. I'm way more driven.
Speaker 2: So I knew that would make me really just sort of get into it.
Speaker 3: So that's what I did.
Speaker 2: I honestly felt sick as I was saying it, like it's not the easiest thing, but share your goals with friends and family, let them know what you're going to accomplish, how you're going to do it, and why you're so passionate about it. And also this can be really good to keep you accountable because you know the next time you see them, they're going to ask you, and you can tell them how you're going and yeah, all that good stuff. For example, I have like accountability partners with my brother and Mel, and we sort of have like weekly check ins when I've got to like tell them how I was going and what projects I'm doing. And I find that so helped full. Before Mel worked for me, I just did not get as half as much stuff done because you know, if no one knows, you're like, I'll do it tomorrow or I'll do it the next day, and.
Speaker 3: It doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: But when you have someone you're telling, I personally just get stuff done. So that's a really big thing for me. Something I will say, though, I would be a little bit picky about who you share your goals, so especially if they are like big ass goals, because you don't want someone to sort of put you down or be negative or make you second guess your goals. So I want you to be a bit picky, but who you tell and make sure you know they are a positive person. I'd also make sure they are a close person because obviously they're going to care about you and your feelings, which is exactly what you want. So personally, there's definitely people in my life who I just wouldn't tell certain goals because it's probably just like too big for them. Mentally, I just wouldn't bother because they probably wouldn't say anything positive.
Speaker 3: And I just don't need that. So yeah, be a bit.
Speaker 2: Picky, but make sure you share your goals with friends and family. Also, I feel like when you share them, it makes it more real. Okay, So the next thing I want you to do is give yourself the right tools to achieve the goal. So think about what is going to help you achieve the goal. For me, it was about buying equipment, this headset, this like board thing. It was actually way more expensive than I thought that I was like, nope, I'm doing it. I also purchased an online course that was like how to make a podcast because I really wanted to do it right the first time, and I was willing to put skin in the game because I do want this to be a really big and exciting project.
Speaker 3: So I was so happy to do that. I was willing to put in the money and the work.
Speaker 2: And I think it's important because if you truly believe in this goal and you believe in yourself, you should be investing. You should be putting time and effort into it. And honestly, I'm such a big belief when you put skin in the.
Speaker 3: Game, and by skin I mean money.
Speaker 2: I actually heard that saying on a podcast for the first time, and I actually hadn't heard before, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, what are they talking about?
Speaker 2: The skin means money anyway, So when you put skin in the game aka money, you are way more likely to like go and achieve. Personally, I hate wasting money and all that sort of stuff, So that definitely is a big driver for me. If it's not money, like, find out what is your driver that is going to help you achieve the goal. And in saying that, if you do have a big goal, you don't have to put skin in the game. You don't necessarily have to buy something.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: There's so many free resources out there, even like Instagram, there's so many free workouts, there's so many free meals and information. Make sure you are utilizing that too. Another thing is you want to create the environment to accomplish the goal. So basically, you just want to make it as easy as possible to achieve the goal, because, let's be honest, like I said, it is going to be hard.
Speaker 3: It is going to be a struggle.
Speaker 2: So if there's any tool that you can buy or research or download or use, make sure you are using it to make it as easy as possible. Okay, So the next tip is I want you to think about what in your daily habits or your daily routine is going to change, what needs to change to make this goal happen. Personally, when I look back on all my big goals, it's not like I did one big thing and it happened. It happened over years, and it was like a small daily thing, a small daily effort that I put in, and over years I've accomplished this big goal.
Speaker 3: So goals don't happen overnight.
Speaker 2: It's small, continuous steps that we make every single day that actually make the biggest effect. So I want you to think of what in your daily routine are you going to change to achieve this goal. So for me with my podcast goal, there wasn't really something I could think of in my daily routine. But something I did realize is last year I was quite flexible with my calendar. So at the start of the week, I definitely had stuff I needed to get done, but I wasn't as rigid as giving myself dates and time unless I really had to. I kind of feel how I felt, and I do different things on different days in how I felt, not necessarily how I planned. And so this year, because I'm trying to fit more in, I did realize I needed to be a bit more.
Speaker 3: Organized with my calendar.
Speaker 2: And so, like I said, I've actually blacked out a day every single week where I'll record, edit and get a podcast up. And I've done the same with YouTube and my other content. I also have a blog which I have content too, which I do that too.
Speaker 3: So that's also in my calendar. So it was really important for me.
Speaker 2: I guess my daily sort of habit is to sticking to what is my calendar, because if I miss one day and I'm not on point that day, that is going to mess up my whole week. So for me, it's really about sort of pulling my finger out and just like being very organized. So that's definitely a sort of daily habit that I'm going to really get onto. So basically, if you can change a daily habit, you can honestly change your life. So think about what you can change daily.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to be something big.
Speaker 2: It can be something really small, and I promise you after a while, it will make a difference. The last tip, and I think this is honestly the most important, is I don't want you to let your limiting beliefs crush your goal. So I really heard about this term.
Speaker 3: Was when I started listening to podcasts.
Speaker 2: And basically limiting stories and beliefs that we have about ourselves that limit us to what we can actually and do. So I'm gonna give you a bit of example. I've wanted to create a podcast literally since I first started listening to them a year probably more a year ago. But I always told myself I don't speak well enough you guys. I'll just tell you now, like you guys will realize that sometimes I don't pronounce words very well and I get my words.
Speaker 3: Almost mixed up.
Speaker 2: It's almost like I have a bit of a speech impediment and I am dyslexic. So if I'm reading my words just somehow get very like, yeah, it just doesn't sound right. So you'll notice that on the podcast, and you'll also notice that on my YouTube. And I always told myself basically, I don't speak well enough to start a podcast because I do have that speech impediment. I also told myself that no one cares what I have to say, like this stuff about goals. I'm like, who cares? Like everyone knows this or it's not life changing, so who cares. I also told myself that I'm too young to start a podcast. All the podcasts I listen to they are a lot older. They seem like they've got their lives together a lot more. And I was like, who am I start a podcast. I'm only twenty four, I haven't got my life together, I haven't had enough experiences blah blah blah blah. So as you can see, these are all limiting beliefs that I put on myself that hold me back from actually achieving and crushing my goal. And so I guarantee with your goal, you also have a limiting belief. If not one, you have many like I do that Basically, stories we tell ourselves why we can't achieve that goal. For example, it could be you're not fit enough, you aren't smart enough, you're not pretty enough, you're too old, you're too young, all that sort of stuff. So how I got over this sort of limiting belief business, To be honest, guys, I didn't think you ever like yet over it, And all of a sudden you're a confident and you're like, yeah, I'm going to crush this goal. I have no limiting belief. Basically, what I do is I bring them up and I sit with them. I love to journal or even have a conversation with myself. I know this sounds crazy a bit, Honestly, bear with me, and I think it's important to either write them down or say them out loud, because often when you do that, you realize how silly they sound.
Speaker 3: So for me to say I.
Speaker 2: Don't speak well enough, I wrote that down and then I was instantly like, I clearly have a YouTube. I have eighty thousand so subscribers. Like, clearly there's something that is okay with the way I speak. So that's just a limiting belief. I can't let that not let me achieve this goal. So start journaling, Start have a conversation, say these things out loud and realize how silly they may seem.
Speaker 3: And the thing is it may be really scary.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing is, I realize there are legit limiting things that don't let us do stuff. But you need to evaluate if that is a legit thing or if this is a story that you were telling yourself that is limiting you to achieve your goal, because there is a really big difference. And I know it seems scary and it can be daunting, but once you get through and you realize these see.
Speaker 3: It's almost more.
Speaker 2: You don't necessarily have to get over it. But just realizing this is a story you were telling yourself can be so much better. It's almost like giving yourself a little pep talk.
Speaker 3: So a lot of the.
Speaker 2: Time there's stuff that we tell ourselves that aren't exactly true, Like we're literally just making up excuses not to achieve our goals. So make sure you were realizing if you currently have a limiting belief and sitting with it, journaling, talking about it, and getting through it, because you trust me, guys, you don't want something like that to stop you from achieving your goal. I also have the same about me not being able to speak properly with my YouTube, and I almost wasn't going to start my YouTube, and starting my YouTube was one of the best things I could have done. Like, I feel so much closer with my audience. I could express myself so much more so many great opportunities came from it. So honestly, don't let limiting beliefs crush your goals.
Speaker 3: So those are my.
Speaker 2: Tips to sticking to your goals. I think it's really really important. I know it's awesome to have these big, sparkly goals, but you need to really do these sorts of things. Put in the work. You're going to struggle, Let's be honest. But it's okay. It's totally okay. So I hope these tips were helpful. They've definitely been helpful to me. And I just want to say, if you guys do have some awesome, big goals for twenty nineteen, put it in the work, be ready to struggle.
Speaker 3: And you've got this.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening to the first episode of the Rise and Plunker podcast.
Speaker 3: Bye for now.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening in. If you like this episode, make sure you subscribe to the Rise and Conquer podcast so you don't miss the next one. Also, If you found this podcast valuable, it would mean the absolute world to me if you wrote the podcast a review. Plus, if you know someone who would benefit from listening to this episode, make sure you share it with them. If you want to go beyond this episode, check out our official instagram at Risinconquer dot podcast or my personal Instagram at Georgie Stevenson. I hope you have an amazing day or night whenever you are listening in Bye for now, and I'll talk to you soon