Speaker 1: Hey guys, Before we get into this episode, we just wanted to let you know that we do talk about suicide on this app and so if that brings up anything for you and you want to speak to someone, there is always help available. You can call Lifeline on one three double one one four.
Speaker 2: Life Uncut Podcast acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island peoples today. This episode is recorded on Gaddigal Land of the Aurora Nation. Hi guys, Anna, welcome back to another episode of Life Uncut. I'm Laura and I'm Brittany, and it is absolute in a life podcast office in Commas.
Speaker 1: It's not. Do you know what the problem is? Delilah keeps licking my fucking feet. She won't stop licking my feet, she won't stop licking my legs, she won't get out from under the table, and everybody else thinks it's funny. And I don't like it because I think I.
Speaker 2: Think it's funny because of your reaction, like you hate us so much, and I said, put some socks on. Maybe maybe this is her way. Animals are pretty instinctive. Maybe she's trying to say she'd wash your feet.
Speaker 1: I had a showered this morning before I came here, so I mean, although maybe maybe it's the delicious body moisturize that I put on this morning.
Speaker 2: Oh it could be the cocoa butter.
Speaker 1: That is what I think it is. Anyway, Britt, I hear that you have a little story that happened to you on the weekend that you wanted to share. And when I say Britt has a little story, it's now what it's we're recording this. It's one pm in the afternoon, and she's held on to this to tell me it on the podcast.
Speaker 2: It was just something funny. It's not just the groundbreaking. But if you guys follow myself or produce a Keisha on Instagram. A few nights ago, we were coming back from the dog park. We took Delila down for a quick little run. Were coming back and I almost I was driving. I almost had a heart attack. I saw, you know, when you see a dog run across a road that is obviously lost and scared, It ran straight in front of this car. I was like, you know, you can't talk, and this car narrowly missed it and then kept driving. Then another on the other side of the road narrowly missed it. And this dog was like, it wasn't just directly crossing the road, it was scared.
Speaker 1: Like running down the middle of a main street like that sort of yeah.
Speaker 2: So of course we pull over, and I was like, we have to save this dog because everyone's just driving off like dusky. So it was getting dark. That was definitely gonna get hit by a car. So I pull over. Keisha runs down the street. The dog has run down this side street off a main road and it's in a cul de sac. Keisha's trying to coax it towards it, and I come down in the car with the lead. Anyway, we we lesue the dog and it's got no tag on it, so we just thought we would capture it, call the number. It would all be overso hag on it. So I'm like, well, we've got to take it home. So I took it back to my place with Delilah while we put some instagrams out, which I go on to the dog face the Facebook groups trying to post these photos. Keisha's on dog facebook groups trying to post these photos.
Speaker 1: I did see that you had a dog in your kitchen, Yes, because I didn't want to take.
Speaker 2: It to the pound. Just thought I would hope someone would stop if Delilah was on the street. That's my hope. So we're going all out. We didn't get any responses of who it was, so I thought I'll take it to a late night vet and get them to micro chip scan it. So we took it to the vet. There was no address, the microchip didn't go anywhere, so we're saying it the vet for ages. I'm still checking all the instagrams and eventually, somehow the para social media. Someone in a Visla Facebook group from Newcastle contacted somebody else who recognized it from someone else who contacted Keisha's DM and my DM and we found the owner. Now this was this really big saga. I was like, I'm gonna have to keep this dog forever. We finally had life half romatic.
Speaker 1: You got so quickly, well, I guess you're moving in now. She's already renamed it, brought it a name tag.
Speaker 2: I said, don't send this dog to the pound, like if no one finds it, like, let me know again and we can come back and we'll sort it out. Anyway, the owner ends up calling Keisha, and it was a man, and he was like beside himself. He's like, thank you so much, like can we send you a vouch or whatever. We're like, obviously, no, don't, don't be ridiculous. But he's like, she's my pride and joy. I can't believe it. The Woolworth's delivery man came to the house and left the gate open, and that's how she got out. Now, this went on for a little while and then Kesha's like, well, where do you Where do you live? What area? Because I'll tell you where we found it. Anyway, it turns out we took the dog from the lawn.
Speaker 1: Dog was on a from law and we thought we were.
Speaker 2: Saving it, which we were saving it, but it ran home to the lawn and that's where we captured it.
Speaker 1: Wait, did you tell the guy that you actually ended up kidnapping his dog?
Speaker 2: So he told us where he lived, and Keisha and I looked at each other. We were like, oh my god, that's where we.
Speaker 1: Took the dog.
Speaker 2: We literally we literally took the dog. We saved the dog from his own home.
Speaker 1: I also, I also loved that the guy was trying to buy you a give foucher and you're like, I'm sorry that I actually kidnapped. It's petty theft. You don't need to buy no, but actually visits are expensive. That is grand theft. Anything over a thousand dollars is grand theft of a dog grand theft.
Speaker 2: It was so funny, But I don't feel bad because we didn't. At the end of the day, we saw what had just happened. That he did nearly get hit by a cart. She sorry, she nearly got hit by two cars. It was getting dark. We weren't to know she was trying to make her way home when we took her.
Speaker 1: So it's also like, Okay, I can see the funny and the irony in this, but like hilarious. But also it's not like you snuck into someone's backyard. I was like, well, this dog was clearly missing and unloved, and I am a superdo.
Speaker 2: Did you know when you have that realization? When he told us the address and in our head we both looked at each other and we were doing the maths, and I was like pulled up Google Maps and I was like, precise, see where we took.
Speaker 1: You over from Brittany Hockley and Keisha You are the You are the visual anties that nobody needs.
Speaker 2: That way, not all heroes wear capes. That's all I'm going to say. Anyway, that was my little story. I thought it was absolutely hilarious. But I think you had a bit of an eventful weekend on social media too.
Speaker 1: Well well, I mean, I think we were kind of going from the highs of social media and the good things that can come out of social media. I wanted to talk about something that happened on the weekend that if you guys follow me on Instagram, you may have already seen in my stories. But it is to do with this season of Maths, and it is to do with this season's villain of Maths, and that was Olivia Fraser. Now, if you're not familiar with the story that happened over the weekend, her boyfriend Jackson cheated on her.
Speaker 2: And this is her boyfriend from the show.
Speaker 1: This is her boyfriend from the show. Now, Olivia, and this is just to give you guys context. If you're not Maths fans, Olivia was the villain of this season, and rightfully so. Her behavior on the show was pretty deplorable. She shared around a nude foe of Dominica that she'd taken from OnlyFans, and she shared it around without Dominica's consent to the other contestants.
Speaker 2: That would completely not cool.
Speaker 1: Disgusting, and she's been held to account. Like there have been numerous news articles written about her. There has been so much commentary that has played out across social media, with everybody the public of Australia weighing in their opinions around just how vile they think Olivia is for this. But over the weekend something happened. Now The Wash, which some of you might be familiar with, is a it's an Instagram site that kind of reports on popular reality TV news, and they posted a video of Jackson out at the nightclub kissing another woman so effectively it was a very very graphic video. You could not like, you can't argue what he's doing. It's not like taken from behind the scenes. Somebody standing right next to him has taken a video of him kissing another woman and cheating on Olivia.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's without doubt he's one hundred percent there in the very passionate embrace he's making out with her. There is no way you can say I was just taking her chewing gum and somebody and somebody got this awkward photo, like you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: But what makes it even worse is that, like, and all reports that have come out of this is that Olivia was actually at the club just earlier, so her and Jackson had gone out together with a group of friends, she had gone home early to the hotel, and then after she'd gone home early to the hotel to go to sleep, he Bertie has fucking cheated on her. Now, the thing I wanted to talk about here is the fact that, yes, Olivia is the villain of that season of mass but the amount of hate, the amount of vitriol, the amount of just like pure like and I can't even like, I mean pure hatred that she is receiving across social media in a time where she's suffering, really hurt. Like I saw this happen over the weekend, and I was like, how are we all so okay with being so fucking mean to someone who is so clearly suffering, even if we think they deserve it? Like, even if you don't like her, even if the things that she's done, you think, you know what, like, yeah, like you're a bad person and I'm you should be held to account. Does that mean that you're the person or the people who were making these comments are the people to hold her to account? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: By all accounts? She I think she seems like she's suffered tremendously since the show, in terms of the hate she's received, the bullying, the work that she has lost since going on the show, her personal life has suffered. She's definitely I feel like paid the price for what went down.
Speaker 1: There has been another part of this story which I think has added to the negativity that has been playing out across social media, and that is that so many people are saying that this is a publicity stunt, that actually Jackson and Olivia and their publicity agent, Max Markson are all in on this, that this is something that has been orchestrated, and that it was a planned publicity stunt. Now for someone I mean, I know there's gonna be a lot of you who don't agree with me, and that's okay, But for someone who's been in the reality TV world for a long time. I just do not buy this. I don't think anyone's going to set up a publicity stunt that undermines their relation, because the most valuable thing that Olivia and Jackson have coming out of mass is that they are in love. When you're a reality TV contestant and you come out of a show and you're actually in a happy couple, like, it's almost like you two verse the world, you two against everything, and the two of them are so much more valuable together than what they are. If everybody in Australia thinks that he's a cheater and that she's a piece of shit, Look.
Speaker 2: My personal opinion is I cannot see why anyone would want to blow themselves up anymore when you're in the situation that Olivia is in. I don't think there's anything to be gained by doing a publicity stunt that your partner just cheated on you when you're already in the depths of despair. Nothing good can come from that. And like you said, Laura, people want the happy ever after people you were stronger together. She wouldn't want to throw any more wood on the fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's totally humiliating. At what point does the punishment outweigh the crime, the crime of behaving badly on reality TV? When does the bullying become too much? And when does the the public outrage the public hate? At what point do we stop and go Okay, I think this person suffered enough for the way that they behaved. When will we be happy? Is it when they think that their life isn't worth living? Is it when they get to a point where they have nothing and they feel like such a piece of shit that they take their own life. The reason why I got so upset when I saw this playing out on social media over the weekend was because a couple of weeks ago, Olivia came out and she said, now this is in articles. She has reported this to journalists. She said, I am suicidal. The only reason why I haven't taken my life is because of my boyfriend Jackson. Because one she's so grateful for what she has with him. Two she feels like she didn't want to put him in a situation where he would come home and find her. That was the one thing that gave her hope when the rest of Australia fucking hates her And now she's lost that, and not only has she lost that, but half of Australia are reveling in her suffering. And I just think it felt sick to me to see all these comments play out. And I really want to make sure that this message is driven home to anyone listening, because I know that there's going to be so many people who watch maths who are like, no, she behaved terribly, she deserves this. We all know how hurtful it is to be cheated on, Like being cheated on fucking sucks. Could you imagine being cheated on and then every single person who's commenting on these pictures saying not only that you deserve it, but they're happy that it happened to you, and that finally that person's seen the light and that it's not home wrecking, it's a home improvement. You just would feel so worthless as a human being.
Speaker 2: Well for me, Laur, I'm not going to speak on the half of you, but I do know that you feel this way too. There are not many things that I hate more in the whole world than bullying. And I don't understand why people cannot dislike someone or something or have opinions without physically going to tell a stranger that they should kill themselves, or that they're scum, or that they should get cancer. And these are the things that are literally written every single day. And I know our listeners, our listeners are so beautiful, and you guys are not the Yeah, we are not talking to you about you. Guys, Think back to when you were at school and maybe somebody said something nasty to you one person. Maybe it was someone you liked to crush or a boyfriend or a friend, or someone said something mean at any age, teenager, child, maybe it's an adult, maybe it's a coworker. Think of how horrible that made you feel, and think of how long you've held onto that comment for now, Imagine if that was happening times one thousand, times, ten thousand, times, hundreds of times, hundreds of thousands, and with no reprieve, incessantly all day, publicly on all platforms, on all mediaut then privately in your DM's messages. Imagine how that would make you feel. Because that's what's happening right now. And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who's on the other side. That person's a human being, doesn't matter what they've done. And I say that within context. We're not talking about murderers here. This is like we're talking about someone that did something really, really shit and we don't agree with it, but they are a human at the end of the day, and they have publicly come out and said I'm suicidal. How can we listen to somebody say that and then continue to attack them knowing that we are pushing them over the edge. That's where it's too much for me.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess it's that question of like who is deserving of the empathy, who is deserving of the kindness, And like, we had this an interesting conversation and Keisha said this, It's like, it's not that she's deserving necessarily of your compassion, but don't give anything, Like you.
Speaker 2: Have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. It's the age old saying yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's that hypocritical conversation of like, matching somebody else's nastiness with your own nastiness doesn't negate their nastiness, Like it just makes everybody a fucking asshole. Like nobody wins in that situation. And I guess one of the really important parts of this is that there have been numerous people who have committed suicide off the back of reality TV. This hasn't happened in Australia yet, but I guarantee it is a matter of time until we take it too far, until the public bullies them into a point where they feel as though they don't have an out and that nobody wants them to exist, and that they are nothing, that they are scum.
Speaker 2: There are reports that so far, and this is worldwide, thirty eight people have committed suicide off the back of reality TV, and almost all of those have come from the fact that they have publicly been brought down incessant bullying. Unfortunately. The most recent death was Love Island UK host Carolyn Flack. Now, I think a lot of people will remember that she had a really, really hard time. Before that, we had a few big Love Island UK contestants. One of them was Sophie Gradden and pretty soon after she was found, her boyfriend also committed suicide and it was really tragic. In one of her final interviews, her last interview that she did, she said, there would be so many negative comments. They are commenting on the way you look, the way you talk. They would come up with an opinion of you on a TV show where they've watched you for forty five minutes. You've probably only I've seen ten minutes of it cut down from twenty four hours. It was very hard to deal with because you take it like you're being judged. It can really get into your mind and really affect you. The harsh reality is it can end up with that person taking their own life. That was her very final interview and she three months later committed suicide. Knowing that this is happening and knowing that is off the back of people strangers commenting horrific things on their Instagram. Now we see our own local Australian reality TV contestant, whether you like her or not, she has come out and publicly said the same thing, and yet we continue to go for her and tear her down like she's not a human being with human feelings.
Speaker 1: And because people don't believe it. That's the thing, right, Like there's this caveat people are like, well, no, you're a bad person, so I don't believe that you have feelings because the thing about reality TV is that it makes people one dimensional. Even if they are a villain, they are a one dimensional villain. They are horrible virle like they're just someone who's not deserving of any kindness whatsoever because they don't have kindness in their body. But then then the the other flip side of that is nobody talks about the fact that throughout all of Olivia's twenties that she took care of her dad who was dying. You know, there is compassion and kindness in her. We just haven't seen it because it didn't play out across TV. I know that there are going to be people listening to this who were like, fuck you, Lauren Brittany, you shouldn't be standing up for a villain. And it's not easy to go against the mob, right, it would be much easier for us to sit here and not say anything at all.
Speaker 2: And we have no connection to any of these people from that show, by the way, And this isn't us necessarily standing up for a villain either. It is us talking about a situation as a whole that has gone too far totally.
Speaker 1: And that's what I mean, Like, it would be so much easier to say nothing, because then we wouldn't cop any of the criticism. I copped a lot of criticism over the weekend from people who told me to shut my fucking mouth, and that I didn't know what I was talking about, and that she deserves it. And my point isn't whether she does or doesn't deserve it. My point is just leave the girl alone, because at the end of the day, you don't want to be responsible for someone's complete erosion of their mental health. And all of us, every single one of us, want to be a better person. That we're not reveling in somebody else's suffering, that we're not happy about somebody else feeling like a piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Also, I think people don't realize this is actually a fact too, Like it takes more muscles and strength to frown than be happy. Yeah, it does to be angry than it does to be happy. So people can serve your energy, redirect your energy, put it somewhere else. I don't think we need to use the last ounces of energy at the end of the day to go and bring somebody else down. This is just my opinion. Definitely have your opinion. If you want to talk about your opinion with your friends and have those conversations, that's okay. Please do not go and write on someone's profile with the masses with the pileon. Maybe just because you've heard someone else say it, or we've seen some other media outlets say And there are media outlets there that are purely driven to be pushing people against other people.
Speaker 1: We know that being super conscious about what you're consuming, what media are you consuming, what accounts do you follow, what podcasts do you listen to, there are definitely media out there. They hang on the edge of drama and gossip, and they ignite and incite this sort of hate, like this sort of vile hate. They thrive off it. That's how they get their clicks, that's how they get their downloads. It is a currency for them that you get so angry that you want to say these horrible things forgetting that there's a person at the bottom of that pile. And that's the whole essence of pile on culture, of cancel culture. I think if you follow these accounts like take this moment, if you listen to this, and you're like, yeah, actually, do you know what it is exhausting seeing so much hate on my social media. It is exhausting, just like getting down in the trenches of bringing somebody else down, even if you don't like them. Use this opportunity to go and unfollow, and be a really conscious consumer of the content that you're taking in every day, because you might see those comments and you might scroll past. Whereas you could stop giving that person your likes, you can stop giving that account your engagement, because engagement equals dollars. And also, I really like encourage. If you do see someone bullying somebody else, even if you think that they may be deserving of it, even if you think that their values don't align with you, it's okay to call it out and say, hey, guys, I don't like this person, but this is getting really fucking me. Yeah, this is not cool, this is going too far, because it's okay to be the better person in this situation. Well, you know, I always grew up my mum always told me it's cool to be kind that lens, and it is true.
Speaker 2: It is definitely. You are way cooler and you're a way better person if you are a good person in social media. And like you said, Laura, you choose what you listen to, you choose what you watch, you choose what you can chume, you choose who you follow. So all we can ask is that you take some consideration and remember how powerful your words are. Because they really, truly could be the difference in someone having a great day and a really, really fucking bad day.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like we've covered enough of that, and look at it is a heavier topic, and I know that there will be people out there who don't agree, and that is absolutely okay. We don't expect you guys to come here and listen to us because it's an echo chamber. It is all right for everybody to have different opinions. However, ultimately, I hope that we can all agree on the fact that being nice and being a good human certainly isn't going to go out of fashion anytime soon. But it is time for our favorite segment, and that is one that's a little bit more uplifting than that and it is accidentally unfiltered. All right, I am going to kick it off. I was out for dinner and an incredibly fancy restaurant over the weekend with my partner, his business partner, and his wife. Anyway, we're sitting down and we're having a beautiful time, and outcome the entrees or these little or dervs before the entrees actually got there, So I pick up one and I put it into my mouth, and as I do, the thing starts to expand. It looked a little bit like a marshmallow. When everybody at the table starts pissing themselves at me, and I realize it wasn't a marshmallow at all. I had just put the little expanding hand towel into my mouth and it was rapidly growing that you wash your hands and face with, you know, the thing that you put in the little thing of water, and then.
Speaker 2: It's sometimes.
Speaker 1: She hated what did she want eat it? She just started chewing on it and then realized it was a handtowel. But as she was chewing on it, it was expanding, and everyone was laughing at her.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: And then to make it worse, as everybody at the table is sitting there laughing at her, the waitress comes over and says, Oh, don't worry, it happens all the time.
Speaker 2: It does not happen.
Speaker 1: But also if it did happen all the time, as a waitress, you would just say to people, Okay, put these in the water. They expand there for your hands.
Speaker 2: That is so funny. It definitely does not have all the time. That's a great story.
Speaker 1: I just want you guys, though, if you've been to a restaurant, you've seen one of these things, but they don't look like food.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to picture it, but I don't think I can because I'm picturing just like a blatant towel.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, that these little tiny hard they were almost like little cylinders. They look like a tablet. They're a little tiny hard tablet of tower, like a really compressed airtime.
Speaker 2: Don't go to fancy enough around.
Speaker 1: When you put them in water, they expand into a hand towel.
Speaker 2: My restaurants don't give me fancy tablo tells.
Speaker 1: What is your stories? Oh well, I was just gonna tell a story.
Speaker 2: That I only just heard this morning. So this is real time story I went down. Look, guys, I don't have much of life. Everything happens at the dog park.
Speaker 1: I went at the dog pass one time at dog park. That is my life.
Speaker 2: I spend so much time at the dog park. But I have made so many friends from the dog park. Might had this guy. He's got a beautiful dog, like a little bitsa called Ellie. He saved her from a dumpster. That is not the funny part. That he's very tragic so he was telling me this story. He and a group of friends always, like once a week, for as long as they can remember, they go to one of their friend's houses out the back in this little could sag and they do a workout outside, just like a garage workout.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, yeah.
Speaker 2: But at the back he takes his dog, Ellie. But there's like a couple of meters wall at the back and like a retaining wall quite high, and then there's an the house on top, so the street above is quite high. Now they have done this for a very long time. They're loud, it's very obviously they're there anyway. They're working out. He's top less, he's mid thirties, topless, sweating. Ellie the dog always goes So Ellie always runs up this retaining wall to that, but she always just sits up the top and looks over. She doesn't go anywhere. She disappeared, and he was like Ellie, Ellie, Ellie calling out incessantly. She wasn't coming, And he was like, well, there's a house up there. I better go on and find her. And I had been calling Ellie for like ten minutes and she hadn't come. So he goes up climbs up this retaining wall to this head to this house and he's in the backyard backing onto the house with no shirt on, no shirt on, very sweaty mid to late thirties. This is important, Ellie. He's like, Ellie trying to call out to this house. Ellie, Ellie, Ellie. You couldn't see her, Ellie, Ellie getting a bit louder. Then he sees his dog Ellie down the side of the house and he starts whistling. He's like, Ellie like that. Then this big beefed up man comes outside the house. He goes, what the fuck are you doing here in my house? He's like, I'm just I'm just getting trying to get Ellie. I've just come for Ellie. And the guy's like.
Speaker 1: Get what do you mean You've come for Ellie? And he's like, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: He's like he's like, I'm always here, we come here, I come here once a week. He's like, I'm just I'll get Ellie and I'll be gone. And this guy went bonkers and he's like, she's seventeen.
Speaker 1: Are you doing shape?
Speaker 2: He's like, what the fuck are you doing this?
Speaker 1: And he's like, whoa whoa what. He's like, no, I swear.
Speaker 2: My dog's name's Ellie. My dog's in your house.
Speaker 1: He's like, get the fuck off my probably anyway, he.
Speaker 2: Has a seventeen year old daughter caught Ellie and these guys like, please don't beat me, like my promise, my dog he's in your house.
Speaker 1: That was so funny.
Speaker 2: He's like, I was scared for my life.
Speaker 1: This guy's thinking that he's out there a seventeen year old and that his own.
Speaker 2: Daughter, and he's topless and sweaty, and he says like me all the time, every week on a Wednesday. Anyway, that's my real Axedly, I'm filtered in What are the odds my dad would have been him to death? My dad would have just got pockets. Well, anyway, let's get into the chat with Juria.
Speaker 1: While competing in a one hundred kilometer ultra marathon in the Kimberlys in Western Australia in twenty eleven, Touria pit encountered an out of control grass fire. Now she was trapped by the flames and she suffered burns to sixty five percent of her body. Despite this huge Traumateria went against the odds surviving the fire and facing the next challenges head on. She has gone on to write three best selling books. She's a coach for forty thousand people. She is a motivational speaker, and she competes in iron Man World Championships. She walked the Kakota Trek. She's built a business, and she is a mother to two beautiful children. She's literally a superwoman, just not wearing a cage.
Speaker 2: She's absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: And we feel so privileged to have Touria on the podcast today. Turia, we start every single episode the same way, and that is we do an accidentally unfiltered, the most embarrassing story with all our guests. It's a very humanizing way of getting to know you. I mean, you don't have to share the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you, but you should if you want to.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to talk about farting during sex because that's embarrassing. That's embarrassing. But like, Okay, so I was at Uni and I went to the shops and I bought heaps of cans of tuna and like a big bottle of balsamic vinagrette, and I put it in my backpack because if him back. Then it was like, you know, plastic bag's bad. And then I was running to catch my bus. So I could see the bus coming around the corner. I was like, I've just got to pedal to the matter, right, I've got to get gun. And so I'm running, running on I can fill my bag with all these cans of tuna and the big bottle of balsamic vinagrette. And in my head, I'm just like, it's just like a weight, fass, just like a weight fast, like keep going, keep going, don't miss this bus. And my bag split and so all of these cans of tuna come rolling out, and the big bottle of balsamic vinaigrette smashes on the pavement, and so I take a step into the balsamic vinagrette and I lose my balance and so I slide. So I'm sliding down the hill carving bosomic vinagrette with true the cans rolling around me, and everyone at the bus stops just staring at me.
Speaker 1: And did you get the bus?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I got. I picked myself up, like picked up what cans I could carry in my hands, hopped on the bus, sat down. I just reaped like Bosomic Vinagrette the whole.
Speaker 2: I just love how classic it is a hit every single UNI student when you're like, I'm at Uni. So I just went to shops and got twenty five cans of tuna because that's all any UNI student can afford, or you can afford, and salad dressing, and you just spent the rest of the day breaking of it. To re up you one of the reasons, I mean, there's many reasons why we wanted to give you on the podcast, but something that you are currently doing is that you were on the Apprentice. Yes, what was it that made you want to sign up to do a reality TV show?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think I just had to do it because of the charity reason, right, that you can raise so much money for your charity. So in episode one, even though I lost that task, I still managed to raise children's thirty five grand foot enterplass. And it wasn't just me, right it all. It was a whole team. So that's amazing, that's really cool. That was a reason I decided to do it. There was a lot of good things about doing the show. So I met some really cool people. I made some really close friends. It was something I'd never done before. But there was also some aspects of it that I didn't love as much, such as working with people that you might not work with in the real world, the editing process of how they put the story together, things like that. But I knew that at the start. I knew that that was a possibility.
Speaker 2: Isn't it funny the world of reality TV if you haven't been in it yet, and then once you get thrown into it, you just realize how much and not necessarily fabricated, but how much things are like pushed along by the producers.
Speaker 3: They're definitely yeah, definitely massaged and fabricated. And I understand because it needs to be compelling TV. But at the same time, when you're in that situation, you're like, I don't give a fuck if this isn't compelling. Fuck I'm I'm not you know, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: But I guess the other question as well as is like you are so well loved, like Australia loves you, so many people know your story and you have written incredible books. You are honestly Australia's sweetheart? Was there everyone worry about going on and doing reality TV and then having your personality or the perception of yourself edited or changed by production, and were you ever worried about how that was going to be perceived by people?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was definitely, definitely was, but I still wanted to do it, and I also felt like the public, the Australian public, everyone knows that reality TV is edited. Everyone knows it's not reflective of real life. So I thought that people would be smart and savvy enough to sort figure it out.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the other thing, right, people, I get so invested in the in reality to be in these characters and they really feel like they know you. But for you, I think it was never gonna be a worry for your narrative to be flipped because you have presented yourself to Australia so much previously with your books and you're speaking, So even if they tried to flip you and make you look like something you're not, You're like, look, I've been in a spotlight for ten years, like people know my story, so I feel like you were safe. But let's go back to when Australia did meet you back in twenty eleven. Can you and I'm sure, I'm sure you've told this story a million times, but for those that haven't heard your story, can you talk us through what happened that day?
Speaker 3: Yeah. So September twenty and eleven, I was working as a mining engineer in the Kimberley's at the Agar Diamond Wine. I loved running because it was like a bit of stressful linef after a hard day at work. So I entered an ultra marathon. So an ultra marathon is typically like anything over fifty k's, but this ultra marathon was one hundred k's. I antwered anultra marathon. A quarter of the way through the race, we were confronted with a five racing through a gorge, and there was six other runners that I was with at the time, so it wasn't just me. And the fire overtook us and I received burns to sixty five percent of my body. But immediately after getting burnt, because the fire obviously kept burning past us, I got this really weird sense of elation or joy because I thought when I was burning, I thought I was going to die. I thought this is it. I'm never I'm never going to see my beautiful partner again. And so when I was still standing, I don't know how long it was maybe like five ten seconds. I really don't know. I was elated because I was still alive and I was still standing, and I think, as well, that was my body's coping mechanism, right, you go into a bit of shock and maybe a little bit of denial about what had happened. So we waited for four hours on that desolate hillside. We got medivact out of there in the helicopter, got transferred to Kanana Hospital and I woke up a months later in a hospital in Sydney. And that was really where I think the real work began for me, because when I get asked, like, you know, was it painful being burnt alive? So that sounds quite graphic, but there's no really other way to say it, Like it was hard, but at the same time, it was like so quick and like it just happened to me, like you know what I mean. But then in hospital I had agency, I suppose, and I had to figure out my way through it. I had to figure out how I would be able to walk again, how I would be able to talk again, how'd be able to run again, how'd be able to go back to work, you know, having a family with Michael All of those things were kind of little goals or little steps that I had to take.
Speaker 2: In that moment. Was there warning that the fire was coming? Was there any way that anyone contacted you to say this is happening? Or did you literally just turn around and see it coming? And then the little group of you had to decide what to do. Which way do we run? Do we go up, do we go down? How do we like? What was what were these moments?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess because it was in a gorge, right, And so a little bit of engineering for you. So when hot air is condensed and compressed into a gorge, so into a narrow space, it creates a suction effect, which is called the ventury effect. Right, So those fire was at the start of the gorge, but because we were also in the gorge at the same time, and the ventury effect or the suction effect was pulling the fire through really really fast. It was almost like, shit, there's a fire. What do we do. Do we go up the side of the gorge there's less vegetation, but fire travels faster going up and incline, or do we go back the way we've came in? But there's a lot of vegetation, a lot of fuel for the fire. There was about spin effects grasp out up to my shoulder high. So both Troy says, we're pretty shit, and so a couple of us decided to go up the side of the gorge and the fire just completely overwhelmed us to.
Speaker 1: Real what happened to the other people that you were running with that day?
Speaker 3: So two of the guys got burnt about twenty five percent of their body. There was another woman, Kate Sanderson, who's a total legend just you know I speak with today. She got burnt around sixty five percent as well, so very similar to me. One of her feet got amputated though as a result of her burns. And then two of the guys somehow didn't get burnt at all. Well, so it was just there was no rhyme or reason.
Speaker 1: Can I ask? I know that obviously the physical recovery would have been such an intense process for you, and that would have taken and I know it did take many years and many operations, But in terms of what that mental recovery looks like, how do you start to process what's happened and kind of when do you feel like you got to a point where maybe you haven't. I don't know exactly, but where do you feel like you were like, Okay, I've got my life in order now, like I can control this and I know that I can overcome this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I've ever reached that point. It's a little bit like you know, with your job, right, how some days you love it and then other days you're like what am I doing? So I think some days I felt really in control and like I was crushing my recovery, and other days I'd be completely overwhelmed by what had happened to me. I think when you're navigating something as complex as trauma, I don't think you can do it alone to start with. So I had a really amazing psychologist who I saw regularly, who I really think was instrumental for me and my recovery. I think accepting and acknowledging what's happened. I think there's a culture of toxic positivity where we always have to put a positive spin on things. I think that is sometimes harmful. Like if something shit, it's okay to just say it's shit and just step into that and allow yourself to wallow in it for a little bit. That's been my experience as well, just accepting and acknowledging it. I also think though, that for me, I was such a young woman. I was twenty four at the time, and so I still had all of these really big milestones that I wanted to achiever, I wanted to do, such as having kids in my partner Michael, and I think for me that was a form of hope, right that things will get better and there's a lot to look forward to. And I think just the nature of burns as well is that you start off at your worst. You start off really really bad, unable to roll over, unable to wipe your own ass, unable to do the most basic, simple, everyday thing that you might have taken for granted before. But I found out that the more I worked, or the more I did my FUSO session, or the more I showed up to doing exercise, I found that I got stronger and I got better. I also think having a goal or something outside of yourself, because a lot of times we can get so stuck up in our head, and for me, I don't find being in my head a very good place to be, and so I had this goal of one day doing an iron Man, which is like a it's like the epitome of an endurance event. And so rather than thinking about this catastrophe which had happened to me, I was thinking about during my training sessions, what nutrition I was eating, how many running sessions I was doing a week, that type of thing. So I don't know if that really answers the question. I actually forgot what the original question was.
Speaker 2: Do you know what you could say anything? True? We are literally like hooked onto everyone.
Speaker 1: No, it was around how did you start that mental recovery and what was the process like? And I actually think it's so important because I guess with a lot of these things people expect, and not just specifically your story. I think with any trauma there is a hope that there's an end goal. But I think that there's always this continual working on ourselves and this continual working through the things that we go through in life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for all of us, for all of us, right, Like that's for me with this trauma that I've experienced. And if I get upset, I remind myself that it's so fine to get upset because it was a super traumatic event that no one should have to live through. But there's so many people out there in the world who have super hard, super horrible, super harring things that they have to live with, And so I don't want to paint this picture that you get to this endpoint and then you're sweet, you're happy, life's good, because I don't think that's realistic. I don't really think that's helpful for other people who are dealing with something really hard. But if anyone listening is going through something really tough right now, I would encourage you to seek some supports or a psychologist, and there's some amazing support services out there, and just also that it's okay some days to not be okay. It's just a feeling. It's not particularly comfortable. No one likes feeling sad or down or disheartened, but it is just a feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know if you know Em Carey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we spoke to em a little while ago. For everyone listening, she's the girl that fell from the sky. She plummeted to the ground basically when she was parachuting, and her story is absolutely an incredible story also of survival and recovery and finding herself again. But she was really honest at the start too, and she said when she woke up she wanted to die. She's like, I didn't want to live anymore. She had to go on suicide watch when she was in her hospital. Hard question, Triier, But was there ever a point that you felt that because I think it's so inspirational to see where you are now, but I think it's important to really talk about those down days too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, of course I did. Like some days I'd wake up in my hospital bed and just think, fuck, I don't want to do this. I can't do this. I'm not strong enough to do this. I don't want to be here, this is too hard. I just want to give up. I think what helped me was I had really great supports and not only from my family but also from my beautiful partner Michael, so that was definitely helpful. And I also I didn't expect too much from myself. So when I made it through another day in that I was still here, I would try and celebrate that, as trivial as it sounds, I would say, you haven't really done anything of note today, but you're still here, like you're still surviving, and that means there's still hope, and you've still got hope with your future. So I think it's almost lowering the tractations for what you're able to achieve, which sounds again counterintuitive, right because we say to ourselves, gotta set big gals, gotta reach for the stars, gotta strive, and that's all very well. But I think when you've gone through something really tough, it is okay just to focus on surviving and surviving when you're going through something really hard, is it really fucking tough?
Speaker 1: Turia, you've said a couple of times, and you're amazing, I mean your beautiful relationship with Michael, and I think that this is a love story. I followed you guys on social media, has seen you have your little children, like your two kids. When you say you're twenty four years old and you went through this experience. Was there ever a point early on where you were like, fuck, is he gonna sign up and do this hard work with me?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Is he going to stick it out? And when was it that Michael kind of turned around? He was like we're in this, We're doing this together.
Speaker 3: All the way, I think part of me felt really guilty, to be honest, this catastrophe had impacted my life, and then I felt bad because it had derailed Michael's life as well, so I felt really guilty. So that was really hard. So I did try and push him away. But Michael is the most placid, easy goalie, humble bloke that is out there, and so he would just be there every day. So he'd shop in the morning at seven point thirty, and sometimes I'd be like, what are you doing here? Like go away? I don't want you here, like go away, because I just felt so guilty, and I felt like it would be easier for me if I didn't have anyone. He loved me. I know I should now that I've said other I'm like, gee, I shouldn't know. I shouldn't have riched at Michael for his dishes in this thing this morning, like that, after all he's done for me, Like, does it really matter that it opens a second time of it?
Speaker 2: I mean the answer is probably know. But you're you're entitled to that.
Speaker 3: You're singing that, Yeah, here's amazing.
Speaker 1: There's a really good conversation that comes from this as well, And like I hate that saying that you have to love yourself before someone else is going to love you, because I think that it really diminishes those periods of life where you aren't able to love yourself, and like it kind of reinforces that you're not lovable, you know. And when you tell this beautiful story that you're going through a period where you didn't feel worthy of love and you didn't necessarily love yourself at that moment because of everything else that was going on, Yeah, you're still so worthy of that. And I mean it's a beautiful story for people to hear, but also I think it's very humbling to hear you say it the way that you did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, thank you.
Speaker 1: Turia. Is something I wanted to ask you, and I read your book last year on happiness, and yeah, I mean, firstly, why is the aspiration of happiness so ridiculous? I think is probably the best place to start. Why do you think that we kind of or why we shouldn't prize happiness as the end goal?
Speaker 3: I think because it's so fleeting, it's ephemeral, right, Like I think some days we are really happy and stoked and frothy and enthusiastic and excited, and when we feel those feelings, we should lean into them and we should go with them, and we should we should be grateful that we feel that way. But we shouldn't beat ourselves up when we feel tired or stressed or anxious, horizonful, or guilty or diminished, because all of those are feelings and they're very valid and they're very normal, and we all feel like that. And so I like to describe happiness as it's the journey. It's not about the destination. There's no day in the future where we have the best job in the world and the best partner in the world and perfect children that will be happy, because we might be for a couple of days, but then something will inevitably happen.
Speaker 1: Some days Michael is going to open up two types of yogurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's going to really piss me up. It's going to piss me off, and you'll be like, why would you do that? What saying person opens up a second type of yogurt when there's wine, what.
Speaker 2: Are we going to do with the first hub?
Speaker 1: He's a mediac.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's crazy, he's out there.
Speaker 1: What do you think from all the people that you interviewed in creating this book to walk away with one lesson? And I know this is a very hard question. But what was like the most profound thing that you walked away from when writing that book? And we're like that that stuck with me.
Speaker 3: I think I interviewed Eddie Jaku, who is a Holocaust survivor, and he had a really simple but really profound outlook on happiness, and it was basically, just tell people that you love them, make time for relationships. If you don't feel happier, then that's fine, which I just found it was just it was like so simple of it, so so profound, and also to be to try and be grateful for this thing that we call life and just acknowledge that it's not always great. It's not always sunshine and roses, but that doesn't mean it's not still a really magical journey that we get to do.
Speaker 2: You just mentioned speaking about happiness, and I think this is something that a lot of humans do and we really need to check ourselves, is that we do always chase something. So it's like, oh, if I can just get that promotion, I'll be happy. If I can just get a partner, or be happy if I can just get that overseas trip, if I can just get a house, I can just get a dog, and it's this perpetual like chasing the happiness, and all of a sudden years have gone past, you're still not happy because you're still wanting more. So I think there's this real lesson in trying to sit in the day and in the moment and try and look around you and be grateful for what you are. And I think that's obviously what you were talking about in your book, is to not chase these things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it sounds counterintuitive, right that it's about learning to be happy with your life as it is. So it sounds very counter to type A personalities which I you know, which which I am one of. And I think it's It is definitely great to make progress and to work on things that you love and to work towards goals, but I think it's really important as well to be happy or to be satisfied with the life that you have. Look for the little pockets of joy, whether that's catching up with a girlfriend for a coffee, or picking up your kids a little bit earlier from school, or going down to the beach one other with your family, just that kind of simple stuff. Leaning into it and savoring it. I've found with me over the past ten years has helped.
Speaker 1: You are truly the definition of ambition and resilience. To go from having the experience the traumatic experience that you had to being able to then get back into marathon running, to having two children, to writing books, being an incredible public speaker, to having a podcast. There's so many. I mean, you've just gone tick tick tick tick team, I know, right, But what do you think that your experience and like how you show up in life has kind of taught you about what is achievable and what you can do as a person.
Speaker 3: To start with, I feel really lucky because I genuinely love the work that I do. Like, I love writing, I love reading, I love chatting to people. I love helping other people to run. So I genuinely love what I do, right, So I think that makes it a lot easier. If you love what you do, it doesn't really feel like work obviously, Like with everything, there's some aspects of it that I'm like, fuck, I hate this this shit is seeing it.
Speaker 1: Ever, hopefully that's not right now, especially especially when you're like juggling to little kids and you're sleep deprived and you've got everything else going only I got a book in and I remember seeing that you had gone and had another surgery at one point in time, where you were like, I've just had a surgery. I'm trying to deal with the kids. There's so many things and factors that I'm still dealing with in life, and things just pile up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do. So I think again, this sounds really counterintuitive to achievement culture or whatever you want to call it. But I just have a practice of just showing up, whatever it is, showing up, showing out to the gym, just doing my training session. Even if I do a pathetic job, I'm still there. I'm still doing another session. I'm still making progress with writing. It's not about trying to sit down and write a masterpiece. It's just fucking just write every day twenty minutes, even if what you write is completely inane and dribble. But it's like, you just show up. You focus on being consistent, you focus and taking those small steps. I'd love to sit down and go away for a couple of weeks, go on a writing retreat, write every day, drink greensmth is, That's not going to happen. So I've got to be satisfied with putting the kids to bed, getting out of bed, writing down. If I write for ten minutes or for twenty minutes or whatever, it's still a wind because at least I've done that bit of work. And I think it's again so often. You know, we might go to the gym three times in a week. I'm using examples of physical stuff because I find it's easier to conceptualize. But you know, there's no point betting yourself up because you slept in that day. Just get over it, get up the next day, go to the gym. But this running program right from arms, and I feel like the stuff we talk about is just showing up getting it done. If you're not happy with your run, that's fine. You're gonna have some shit runs. Just keep showing up and try and be consistent with it, and then it's not really rocket science. You just get whatever you're doing right. You get better at it if you do it regularly enough. Like with your podcast. I'm sure at the start maybe you girls weren't as awesome as you are now.
Speaker 4: It's hard to listen to, to be honest, Yeah, exactly, And you've just gotten better because you've done it so much and you're learning from your mistakes and you're getting feedback and how you can do things differently or how you could improve it, and you just get better.
Speaker 1: So how long was it after you had your first sort of operations and through your recovery that you got back into your running.
Speaker 3: It probably was. I remember in the first sixty minutes thing I did that was probably maybe like a year, and I ran, like you know how they make you run with the cameras and I was like, okay, yep, So I ran it was like maybe five or ten meters, and I just would focus on those small wins that I did or those small achievements, and I'd focus on being consistent with the work that I was doing and trying to show up. And the same could be said for relationships too, right, like showing up for your family, showing up for your partner, showing up for your friends, being consistent.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that when you say these things, they can seem like such simple steps. And I think, for example, anyone who's had a baby knows how hard it can be getting back into exercise. It can feel overwhelming, it can feel daunting, all those sorts of things totally. But when you put that on a spectrum of comparison, which I mean not that it's a healthy thing to do, but like comparing how it must have felt to get back out there and go for that very first run. To now look at where you are now and what an accomplished runner you are, that you're helping other people getting back into their whatever obstacle that they've had in terms of their fitness. It's a truly incredible thing to see. And I just I mean, you're an amazing woman and we're so grateful to have you on the podcast today to be able to share not just parts of your story, but to be able to share the wisdom that you have come to sort of no one understand over these years.
Speaker 2: Juie, how far are you running now? What do you what's your what's your sched what's your schedule?
Speaker 3: Like much my schedule. I'm not running that far, eh, because we've just moved up to Port Douglas because Michael's a helicopter pilot.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to ask you about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we don't have any family up here, which is quite hard with the kids. So I would probably run not that far, like maybe five ten K's.
Speaker 2: Speaking about Michael, and you've been a helicopter pilot. Just tell us about that, because I read something about him wanting to pursue this, and this is his dream off the back of what happened to you, the fact that a helicopter, you know, helped get you out of your accident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. The reason that I'm here, the reason that I'm speaking to two, is that there was a helicopter pilot who wasn't part of a coordinated search and rescue team, who was basically just a helicopter flying tourists around. He heard about our accident and he flew out. He balanced on one skid of the helicopter. He took Kate Sanderson first because she seemed to be worse at the time, and then he came back and got me. And that's a very dangerous thing to do. You're not supposed to balance on one skid, particularly if you don't have the training of the colonifications like he wasn't, like I said, a search and rescue man or anything. So I think I'll be forever grateful to that man.
Speaker 1: PAULA.
Speaker 3: Creeps is his name, and I think that was part of their inspiration for what I'm Michael. I wanted to be a helicopter pilot.
Speaker 2: Wow, so that man literally saved your life.
Speaker 3: Literally, Like if we had been there without medical assistance, Like, I don't think we wouldn't have survived the night.
Speaker 2: It's hard to believe. It's still hard to believe it even happened. I mean, like it's easy for me to say that, but listening to you tell your story is it's very incredible and it's super inspirational. And we can't thank you enough for coming on and talking to us today. And I don't want to ever end this interview. I could talk to you first. I know, we know that you have to go for days on end, but we know that you have to go. If you could leave one piece of advice for the listeners now that you have learnt in you know, you've you've lived many years in your life, what would it be.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I'm not that old, but like I'm still young man, I've still got I'm only thirty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're my age, trust me, but I feel it. I feel the back aches.
Speaker 3: I feel back aches too. I've lined the kids, I've mined the kids. I think, honestly, just accept that happiness is fleeting and it's ephemeral. You might not be happy all the time, and there's there's nothing wrong with that. And secondly, with whatever it is that you're trying to do in life, whether you've got your own podcast or you want a job promotion or whatever it is, just try showing up. Just be consistent with what you're doing, and it's not magic. You'll just get better at it and you'll make progress and your goals.
Speaker 2: One foot in front of the other.
Speaker 3: That's it, mate, Kate Walking.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much Toia Eat Walking, Thanks so much for coming on, and we will continue to watch you on Celebrity Apprentice. All Right, guys, you know that we never finished an episode without our suck and our sweet, our highlight and our low light of each and every week, preening, hocky, what was yours sucky? Fuck?
Speaker 2: It's pretty funny. This is actually tie. I can't work out if it's my suck all my sweet because it sucks, because it's embarrassing. But that's why it's also my sweet because it was so funny. You guys might have seeing that Stranger Things has come out on Netflix like this the new series, because it's it's everywhere.
Speaker 1: Also, this is not sponsored. Just no, it's not. We're not telling you to go watch it.
Speaker 2: It's just I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 1: It's literally been on every single platform ever. And also in real life.
Speaker 2: Like Stranger Things are absolutely pushing out the sponsorship to get on everywhere that you look.
Speaker 1: Why don't those sponsor of this podcast.
Speaker 2: I don't know for free. They pushed it out everywhere except for Life on Cut. But part of this big rollout right is and some of you might have seen it go around on social media, some of you might not. But on Bond Eyed Beach they took over and they had this big, like fake.
Speaker 1: It's an art installation basically, yes.
Speaker 2: But it's it is huge, Like how big do you think this is? Laura? Like fifty meters?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's not fifty Have you been down there now? I haven't.
Speaker 2: I just threw a phono of it.
Speaker 1: No, it's like ten meters, maybe twelve meters.
Speaker 2: That makes me feel better.
Speaker 1: I saw it in real life on Thursday night.
Speaker 2: But it's like, you can just google the picture now if you haven't seen it. It's this big looks it's supposed to look like this big sea creature has come out the beach right, and then the bond I Rescue were involved and they did all these fake skits about like, oh my god, what's washed up here? And there were people in contamination suits.
Speaker 1: It looked pretty legit. Yeah, they had like a scientist down there and has matt suits, like pretending like they were testing it. It was a very full on and extensive activation for marketing.
Speaker 2: But that way, well, they've got free advertised on Life one card, so it did well.
Speaker 1: I'm going to speak to our sales manager like, why the fuck did they not sponsor this podcast episode?
Speaker 2: Well that's me, sorry, my mad I really let the ball sleep on that one.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But what happened was Keisha and I were together doing some work and Keisha's friend sent us the photos from Western Australia and they were like, oh my god, have you seen what's on Bondie Beach? Is this real? And Keisha opened it and showed me and we were both like, oh my god, this is insane. This is the biggest octopus has ever washed up on Bondi Beach.
Speaker 1: You thought it was real? You thought it was real?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we thought it was real just from the picture. But we were like, should we go down? Oh, this is crazy, like this has come from the depths of the sea. But I mean, in our defense, it's not the lock Nest monster, Brittany, that's what it looks like. Oh my, but if you, Laura, I have watched some deep sea David Attenborough, those creatures do exist.
Speaker 1: So I never thought that they've watched. Okay, if that was real, they would have had it more than just like one little tiny warning security tape around it.
Speaker 2: Well, the photo that we saw was just this octopus right, people watching, like mingling around watching, and then heaps of haz matt suits. I actually said to Keisha, must be real, they've got hazmat suits. Anyway, I can't work out that's my socker, my sweet.
Speaker 1: What was your sweet bed? My sweet?
Speaker 2: Was I went and got a coffee this morning and walked with Delilah and running too. Hamish Blake as in Hamish and Andy.
Speaker 1: People know how Hamish Lakers.
Speaker 2: He's not very popular. You might not know who is.
Speaker 1: Do you want to describe what's it from? What does he do with himself these days? Or he's got a number one podcast?
Speaker 2: Does Hamish?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 2: I said hello, obviously, I was like, oh hey, Harry. She was hey, I was like, I'm Brittany from Life on CUD podcast ready to show. Anyway, we had a great old chat for about half an hour and he is even funnier in real life than he is from his show.
Speaker 1: And he literally walked away from that conversation and was like, I'm no fucking I do that? Girls Like, who the hell? No?
Speaker 2: He was so great. He was like, love the pod. You guys should be beating us every week. He did not say that. It was a really nice moment because I guess, along with the rest of Australia, I think both Hamish and Andy are so brilliant. I think Hamish's so funny, and I guess I was a little fangirl.
Speaker 1: I played it cool.
Speaker 2: I was like, hey, I'm Brett, and then we sat down had a coffee half now, but like inside, I was like, we're screaming and in real time, if you guys listen to ham sheh Andy you'll know what I'm talking about. But someone was jogging past and then stopped and he was like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, can I have a dollor?
Speaker 2: And Hami's got off and we didn't have him door. So it was a real moment that we had but that was it. That was my sweet. I just was look at my fan girl moment this morning.
Speaker 1: That's very, very cute.
Speaker 2: Do you think he is going to his podcast now and saying that his sweet this week was meeting me or.
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna say probably not.
Speaker 2: Not even know.
Speaker 1: He was just waiting for the cook Brian. He's like, we sad we had gover half now. He was just like waiting for his coffee to be served up. Then left straight away and she was like, we had coffee together. He was like backing away slowly. I'm following him and I was like it was totally a moment, like you're walking together down the street and he was just drying.
Speaker 2: He's like at his house trying to get inside.
Speaker 1: Alright, okay, what's your side. My suck for the week is that we have rising, damp and mold in our house. It is so bad. We moved, Like if you guys have followed the pod for a little while, you would know we moved to a new house in Bronti a couple of months ago. Beautiful, how the house is beautiful. We're paying through our teeth for it. And since all this rain, bloody is it? El Nina Lolnino. Whatever it is the rain that never ends off ow. Yeah, it's like swimming in water. A house is so damp. I feel like I'm in I don't know, where's a really humid place. I feel like I'm in Bali with the doors closed and a hot shower on. That is how humid our house is. And we've got to do humidi fire. But the mold, the black mold, is just growing up the walls in all the rooms. Doesn't matter what we do. Three days later, it's back, and I'm so worry that this is going to be the beginning of the end for us and our little house in Bronte.
Speaker 2: Well, you have to, yeah, you have to continuously be cleaning that because you can't have mold in your house.
Speaker 1: And you know how much I hate cleaning slash.
Speaker 2: You have to get a clean a lot. No, you have to. But I think that this is happening. All my friends have said the same thing, everyone around you. It's just we've had non stop bad weather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and my swee for the week is that I did my very first workout in a year. And I know that sounds lame, but I haven't actually done any exercise I mean I've gone for a walk and stuff like that, but in terms of actually doing like a gym workout, I do my very first workout in the entire like since Lola has been born. I do my first workout.
Speaker 2: You went to the actual gym? No, no, No, I did it at home. Oh, but that's what you need to do homeworkout.
Speaker 1: But I like signed up for a home workout thing, and I got this home workout gym, and like it's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: And I didn't think you were looking very toned today.
Speaker 1: And my butt hurts so much that I have to lower myself onto the toilet with both my hands like an old person.
Speaker 2: Are you shredding for the wedding? Is this like a wedding? Get fits both?
Speaker 1: Na, I can't be bothered and you're already No, I'm I'm just in from stress. But that's stupid. Anyway, guys, that is it. We hope that you love the interview today. We hope you loved hearing from Teria. Pitch is just such an incredibly resilient woman. If you love the episode, please jump onto Apple Podcast, leave a review, and we will be back on Thursday without ask uncut episode. If you have any questions for Ask Guncut, you can slide on into the DMS at Life Uncut podcast and you know the drill.
Speaker 2: Don't begin to tell you, Mum, to you, Dad, tell you, dog, tell your friends, and shared a love because we love love