Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: This week on the show, we're trying to build the ultimate family tree, taking a family member and then looking for your calls, your stories of your weakest claim to fame involved with them. Yesterday it was all about the uncles.
Speaker 3: In the eighties, he was on five footage for Helter.
Speaker 4: My uncle fell out of the car and they named the road after him.
Speaker 3: He was a member of the Grenadier Guard, so the Queen's Gard my fiance's uncle.
Speaker 4: He is an audio engineer by trade and he was set up with a task of designing Shane WARN's chant that was played at the memorial service at the mcg. His fans door was used in the movie The Full Monty while he was upstairs.
Speaker 2: All right this morning? Then on nine four one four one o four three, it's all about your aunties. What is your weakest claim to fame? Involving your aunties? Christ and my Auntie used to live next door to Elton John. He once brought her bins in for her. Oh that's from Edie, who's ten? I love that. What a lovely thing to do, Lizzie, I did say week is claim to fame? My aunt knew Glenn Robbins mum and he gave her a lift in his car once loved that. This is on Lizzie. My week is claim an auntie is that my great auntie was a cleaner at university sometimes in the sometime in the eighties nineties, and she happened to work with Bond Scott's mum. At the moment, there's a lot of mums, so we're looking for your weekes claim to fame involving your auntie or an auntie.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: This is a great one. My auntie used to live next door to the family who came up with the Power for Active Life dog food slogan. That's a lot going on there, Christian. My uncle was nominated for Australia of the Year, didn't get it, but was nominated. We are super proud. That's from Christa Bell. You should be as well. Nine four one four one oh four three. So your auntie weakest claim to fame. Let's go to seven.
Speaker 1: Sarah, Hi, Christia, my auntie.
Speaker 4: I'll go kiss Dave Dublin's brother.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: This is she tells everyone of every family. Then it always comes out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sarah, thank you very much. She coiled me. Have a good day you too, by Marina. Good morning, Good morning Marina. Tell us about your auntie.
Speaker 3: Yes, so my great aunt was the first Australian radio presented to interview the Beatles.
Speaker 2: This is amazing. Well, that's nothing weak about that. What happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she was quite pushy apparently, and decided she wanted to interview them a couple of months before they came and did their Australian tool for the first time, and they flew her to London and she got to interview them there and then they caught up again when they came to Australia.
Speaker 2: This is incredible with a big deal to be flowing over to the UK then as well. So what is your great auntie's name?
Speaker 3: Her name is Benny Lum And who was.
Speaker 2: She interviewing them for?
Speaker 3: I think it was too u W yeah, back in.
Speaker 2: Then. That is unbelievable. Has she got any photos of that interviewing the Beatles?
Speaker 3: Neil, Yeah, yeah, lots of photos. She's interviewed Fred Astare Barbastrasend And.
Speaker 2: Is there any people Are there any tapes of the Beatles interview?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all online.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought, we're going to have to get this out. This is amazing. How old was she when she first interviewed the Beatles year as well?
Speaker 3: It was nineteen sixty four. I'm not sure how old she was.
Speaker 2: I mean that is she she's a part in history. The first Australian to interview the Beatles is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and female and Radio two back then.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, Trailblazer. We're going to have to try and dig out some of that audio as soon as we can. Actually, i'd love to hear that. Marina, thank you very much. She's showing us this one. I love that. Let's go to Jeanette here. Good morning, Jeanette, Good morning.
Speaker 4: How is everybody?
Speaker 2: Jeanette? And I hope you're well as well, Chinette, And that's.
Speaker 3: Just thank you.
Speaker 4: So my Auntie May had afternoon Bill and a Spencer as she was.
Speaker 2: Then afternoon tea with Dinah Spencer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how come my great aunt used to work for a company called Gees and Hawks, which is a famous Savao Taylor. Yes, yes, and she used to make all these knots and the rings on the naval uniforms by hand with like a milliminiter around a half piece of gold and she used to throw them around old coins and stuff, so they were all the same same shape. And so she did that and the sword knots for the royal wedding. So Diana went to Gibes and Hawks to approve everything and had afternoon tea with my great auntie may.
Speaker 2: A royal knot.
Speaker 4: Well it's it's a name. We all sawed not.
Speaker 2: Oh gotcha now right, Yeah, that is quite incredible. Not so.
Speaker 4: The page boys went slid down the banisters when they finished and after the afternoon tea and did boys things and all that sort of stuff. And yeah, I've still got the drawings.
Speaker 2: That is amazing. That's incredible. Two amazing stories, Janette, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: She called the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Chat about your weakest claim to fame with your auntie. We had an amazing story from Marina not a week claim to fame at all about her great auntie Benny Lum, who interviewed the Beatles. Wait for this, not just interview the Beatles, first ever person to interview the Beatles in nineteen sixty four, I mean first Australian. Yeah, she was flowing from Australia to London haven't listened to this. We found some of the audio. That's amazing is that coming back in history. Didn't know John wrote a book. I didn't. It's funny that she went over for an interview with the Beatles and they she would have come back and go. Did you talk to him about the music? Asked John Lennon about the book. He wrote, I didn't know enough to dig that out.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast