Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: So gimme the Kingy.
Speaker 3: We were back in an hour's time your chance to win a better bed thanks to sleep Maker.
Speaker 2: This week we were giving away too. I think it was Sir Susan.
Speaker 3: She was saying how she had a hand me down mattress from her brother. Now we've all heard of various hand me downs over the years of clothing and bikes and roller boots and stuff that, but never an actual mattress handed down through a family. So today I want to know about your hand me downs on nine four one four one oh four three, still having given away our one thousand dollars a call of the week so I could go to you dur in the next twenty minutes, Patsy, if you had any hand.
Speaker 4: Me downs, always clothes. It was very rare for me to have new clothes in the seventies as a kid. It was always op shop clothes or hand me downs. Because I've got like forty first cousins on my mom's side, massive messive family. Mum's one of eight and they've all had at last like three or four kids, the girls.
Speaker 5: So and you're the youngest of four.
Speaker 4: I'm the youngest of four.
Speaker 3: You had a lot of me down lots down cousins.
Speaker 2: The trouble is going to be your husband cousins.
Speaker 4: No, we're not like that. The trouble is I've got all brothers, so ham and hand me downs meant that I had to wear boys clothes so like brown cord jeans, the look brown jumpers, even their swimming trunks.
Speaker 2: My mother was ruthless.
Speaker 4: Swimming trunks boys swimming trunks. Yes, okay, so you know it was. It was not uncommon for me to wear hand me downs.
Speaker 2: Tough.
Speaker 4: It's really tough, which may explain why now with Audrey, like when she was born, I love to shop for clothes for her, by.
Speaker 5: Her all the things that you can.
Speaker 2: Quicksilver.
Speaker 4: You just never got new stuff though. In the seventies, big family, Are you the oldest.
Speaker 2: In your family?
Speaker 5: I'm the oldest.
Speaker 2: I had me too.
Speaker 5: It was cousins that I got handy from as well. I really wanted lego as a kid, and it was too expensive for us. So Mom and Dad brought home one day this big sack of hand me down lego from my cousins. But it was called Kobe bricks.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah, we had something called Dupo. You know it ain't Lego.
Speaker 3: No one's coming round after school to play with these stickle bricks.
Speaker 2: You know, just cras, not Lego.
Speaker 3: There's no stickle brick man doing a TV show and a power Universe with Hamish Blake.
Speaker 5: I just looked it up to make sure I had the name right. I was Kobe Bricks, essentially a Polish Lego.
Speaker 4: Another bigger too, was the bigger than normal Lego.
Speaker 5: I didn't click in the normal Lego.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're listening to the question O Kyl's show podcast.
Speaker 3: Talking about hand me downs. Christianed my hand me down as a signed photo of John Wood. Not sure what to do with it. It meant so much to my mum.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a gift. Live.
Speaker 3: I drive a car that's been in my extended family for twenty plus years. It belonged to my grandma, then my mum and now I'm driving it.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Cameron.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Cameron, Good morning, Christian, long time listening, first time caller.
Speaker 2: That's that is cameon.
Speaker 3: Well, welcome to the show that's recording in so Cam, what got on? Handed down to you?
Speaker 6: Okay, Christian in nine and forty. My grandparents got a crystal sugar bowl during the line seventies early eighties. My parents inherited the crystal sugar bowl by the two thousands. I'm my dad at home. I inherited the crystal sugar bowl. I find it from Mum that it was glass.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, it's just a bowl. It's just it's just it's just a glass bowl.
Speaker 3: We go Kmart, Target, big w It's not a family heirl. You can't take that on antiques roadshow.
Speaker 6: No, it's probably worth about five PM forty.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, Cam, thank you very much to kill mate. Have having a nice week?
Speaker 2: Can thank you you too?
Speaker 3: Yah?
Speaker 1: How are you guys?
Speaker 2: So what'sh your hand me down? Carry out?
Speaker 1: My hand me down was actually a horse at a parent teacher interview. So what happened is Mom and I were sitting at the parent teacher interview and Mom got talking to the lady next to her, who was looking through the form guide because Mom was also a punter, And then she turned around and said how her daughter loved horses, and the lady said her daughter also loved horses and had two and Mom said, oh, my daughter would kill for one. She goes to lessons every weekend. And the lady turned around and said, oh, my daughter's got two and has lost interest with your daughter like one.
Speaker 2: So the parents, none of this is about your education or future. Your mum leaves with a horse for you.
Speaker 1: So yes, I ended up with my first horse at sixteen from a parent teacher interview and he was he cost nothing to buy.
Speaker 2: Incredible shit.
Speaker 5: It's a real richie rich Sorry for that first kid. I've lost interest in my second horse.
Speaker 3: Give it to one of your students. Give it to one of the students that the parent teacher thing is the prize. Yes, all right, carry and thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: One of the Caddles.
Speaker 3: We've just spoken to Cameron talking about how he thought this precious kind of crystal bowl was worth a bit of money. It turned out to be just a glass bowl, you know, worth more than five bucks.
Speaker 5: Every episode of Antiques Roto has a cam on there taking in something they think is highly valuable, and it's.
Speaker 3: Great when it's normally an elderly person who thinks they're going to get some big cash payout worth millions, right, they've probably hear marked a couple of properties that they're going to be buying up new cast of this, and then the value essentially goes afraid to say that actually this is very cheap and worthless, and they go, I want the camera to zoom in because actually, okay.
Speaker 2: Well I actually thought yeah, yeah, yeah. It was savage family.
Speaker 3: Really you could see their whole future they had planned out just collapse in front their eyes.
Speaker 5: When I was in highest school, one of my best buddies his grandpa's how they passed away, and in his stuff they found this artwork and relatives were saying, hey, you should get that valued because this sky Turner his name was, is a highly prized artist and that could be worth the money. Anyway, they're talking to different experts and there's a lot of chatter about they could become overnight million.
Speaker 3: They thought it was a Turner they had he was one of the most famous English.
Speaker 5: H Yes JMW two. They thought they were overnight millionaires. And my friend was coming to school saying, you know, after my auntie and uncle and my mum get their cart, I'll be getting about maybe twenty or thirty percent, And of course I'll look after you guys in the playground, the crew. I actually remember having discussions with him about how we were going to spend the money and how much individually would inspect to inherit from his grandpa. Of course, when they finally got it valued, it wasn't a real turner and they had no money. But I remember fore, you know, a good two or three days they're thinking, I'm.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm coming into some money here.
Speaker 2: My friend has a turner.
Speaker 3: That's there used to be a TV show and I'm sure so as this now where it was people rummaging around to see if they might have some you know, multimillion dollar airloom around the house.
Speaker 2: It was called cash in the Attic.
Speaker 3: We should do a phone in call basically Donuts in the attic where you thought you had something that was worth a lot of money and you waited, you went to take it valued, and it's just like your friend, it's probably just a cheap reproduction introduction. Yeah, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast