Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by quantas the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantus is prouds Toby be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hey everyone, welcome to the Unplayable Podcast. Day one of the SCG Test matches ended in a rather wet note. Unfortunately, England finished at three for two hundred and eleven after only forty five overs were possible on day one. A bit of rain in Sydney. Who would have guessed it, but he had to break down those forty five overs and a little bit of the stuff around the outside is myself, josh I onn Ifinger and Louis Cameron. Why don't we start with the rain lou because that was obviously a disappointing end of the day. There were parts and times where it looked like we could be playing, we didn't end up playing, and all in all was a bit of confusion and disappointment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Sydney is the reason why this is the only ground that has the sponsors, sorry, the covers sponsored.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the big.
Speaker 2: Nrom main insurance logo all over those white sheets. I'm pretty sure nowhere else. I mean, to be fair, we actually just haven't seen that much rain. Yeah, but money well spent, you'd have to say absolutely that is that is genius. Yeah, but like they might sponsor it to other grounds. I just haven't seen it because it hasn't really rained too much.
Speaker 3: This year, so that's a tick so far. Yeah, it was. It was a bit.
Speaker 2: We kind of have this conversation every year in Sydney and every time it kind of rains, like what more could we kind of be doing to either get the game going or maybe entertain the forty nine more than forty nine thousand people who came.
Speaker 3: To a massive crowded Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize Sydney held that many people. But I think when the members come in and they get the standing room only area kind of activated that they can really flood through and.
Speaker 3: Kind of come down to watch.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like cricket doesn't do a great job of like all right, there's no cricket on, Like what's how are we entertaining those people? And I'm not saying like we need to go full big bash or whatever, but like, could we have like a I don't know, a traveling circus troop like on hand to you know, just something like I'm joking, but like just something to entertain people.
Speaker 1: Slip and slide on the outfield or something.
Speaker 2: Well that's right, yeah, yeah, something fun like that. Like all the TV stations, right, they have all this kind of filler content ready, and I think Channel seven were doing their best or who they think will be playing the twenty twenty seven matches, Like this is all kind of stuff we talk about when we don't have any cricket to play, right, So could we be doing that from a ground perspective, I'm sure those conversations are happening.
Speaker 1: It was disappointing, but as you said, lots of members came in today. We heard on the coverage that members were lining out from six pm last night to make sure that they got in today. There was lots of pink around, even though it's not quite Janie mcgra day yet. But if you do want to donate, of course to that very worthy cause of the McGrath Foundation, had to pink test dot com dot au. We began today with a really touching tribute to the first responders and those lost in the Bondai tragedy a few weeks ago. Some great shots of Ahmed al Lahmed his arm in a sling but saluting to the crowd and getting to shake the hands of all the players. That was so, that was a really nice way to start the day. England won the toss and chose to bat, even though Australia went heavy with the quicks again, Lou.
Speaker 2: That's right, the first time in one hundred and thirty seven years Australia haven't played a spinner at the SCG. That's kind of beggar's belief really, that it's been that long. You would have thought that, you know, it might have rained a bit in the lead into a test in the forties, fifties or sixties and they went all seen or you know, there's just a transition period when there was no good spinner to kind of pick.
Speaker 3: And we were trawling through.
Speaker 2: The archives, you know, old scorecards trying to figure out is if JJ Ferris was was a.
Speaker 3: Seema or TV exactly? Yeah, what what did George McShane bowl.
Speaker 2: You can't even compare the game to what it is, like, what the game we're playing now compared to what they were playing back then I'm sure it was. I'm sure it was great, but it's not the same sport as what we're doing now. You look at the scorecards, so like I think Australia in that first innings in the ninety sorry, in the eighteen eighty seven eighty eight Sydney Test, England made one hundred and thirty off one hundred overs Charles the terra turner just about like fifty overs straight and you know it took five wickets, but he was like that only used three bowlers.
Speaker 3: I think the third bowler of bowl four point four or something like. It's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a long time ago, different game. And yeah, you wonder whether they would have made the same decision if Nathan Lyne was available for this game. That's a hypothetical we'll kind of never know the answer to. But you know, Dan Vittori was sitting up here in the press conference room where we are now and just kind of said, well, the pace has been the winning formula here, and yeah, it seemed like the selection was more based around pace taking wickets as opposed to them being worried about a really green wicket and picking the extra batter because you know, obviously it's bow Webster in the team at not you know, Jy Richardson in that equivalent spot. So, but you know, it did look like yeah, so I don't know if they've misread the pitch completely, but it does look like a like a good batting wicket. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know how when something happens, you know, fifteen years ago for the first time, you see those graphics on social media, like, oh, Barack Obama was president, those of things. You can't really go all the way back to eight I.
Speaker 3: Mean New South Wales.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was a state, like we weren't a federated country at that point. It's incredible still twelve years before federation. So yeah, the iPhone certainly had been invented in eighteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: But it looked like the right call early from Australia, even though maybe the first few overs were a little bit flat from the Aussies, they got things ticking and they took three for twenty two. All the frontline fast bowlers got a wicket. Nissa stuck and Boland and it was another promising start from Ben Duckett, but he again sneiacked off caught behind. Jacob Bethel played some good shots as well before Boland got him with a beauty and that top order. Again, it's promised a lot, just hasn't managed to deliver. But the Aussie bowls again, when they get it right, they're so hard to play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at another promising start from Duckett.
Speaker 2: But I think you know the emphasis he's on what you said there, Like when Australia have been wayward. He's kind of gotten off to a quick start. I think that the same thing happened in that fourth innings in Melbourne. He score quite quickly, and here he was off to twenty seven off twenty four balls mostly Stark, you know, a couple of wide ones, a couple on his pads and that got him going. But when Stark gets it right to him, he gets out. Like its just as simple as that Alex Carey took a good catch. The numbers make an interesting reading. It's been five for seventy nine off seventy seven balls in this series, so that's head to head, that's head to head. Yeah, duck at the Stark sorry, so you know, like we know that McCallum is into that kind of stuff. It's like we'll go on, get get a quick thirty and get the momentum going in our favor and that can be good enough. Sometimes that's you know, Crawley's made a career out of it. You know, the ironic kind of thing. I think by the end of this series, Duckett, you know, sorry, at the start of this year is Duckett was a guy. I think we all thought this guy's got some real potential. He's averaging over forty. Is a Test batsman. I know he plays on flat wickets, but that's still really good going against new ball. And then Crawley is a guy at average thirty. He's statistically the worst opener of all time. I think if you put the minimum filter it, you know, two or three thousand Test runs. Crawley is the one now who like, I know, he only got sixteen today, but he just looks like he's got a real solid method for batting in Australia. He's much more watchful against a new ball than what he was at the start of the series, and he got a really good ball today. So it's just an interesting contrast between the two openers.
Speaker 1: And it's hard to judge Crawley on the Perth Test because he didn't make it pass the first over twice city. So how can you how much can you really judge from that Test match him?
Speaker 2: Well, I reckon a bit actually, because that he tried to bat in that first Test in Perth like he does in England, like anything. You know, that knee height kind of length. Think about the first ball that comes ball to him, the twenty three ashes. You know, it was a bit of a loosener from Commons, but it also wasn't the worst ball in the world and he's just pumped it through cover for four. He has made a living off doing that in England. Well, you just can't do that in Australia, especially on these wickets. There's always been the extra bounce, but there's also that extra scene movement in Australia now. So he looks like he's actually took some really good lessons from that per thousand going okay, well, I can't drive on the app, i can't play the way I normally do. I've got to use matallent slightly differently. And he's waited to get in before he's kind of done. That didn't work out for him today, But yeah, just an interesting interesting point with those two and it'd be interesting to see what they do with those two going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Crawley he's the one that his average always gets brought into the conversation. He has been England's leading run score in this series and he still is averaging only in the mid thirty so it's hard to sort of wrap your head around. But he's an enigma, that's for sure. I've just got a message through as well, Loue. Today's crowd of fifty three thousand and one that's been upgraded too, is now the largest SCG crowd since nineteen seventy five when Australia played the West Indies.
Speaker 2: It's four thousand more people come in the nine minutes we started to recording.
Speaker 3: Podcasts that happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's the official word from Cricket Australia. Maybe if you came in late after lunch today, Ben Dukett, I want to just read through his scores this series. It's been a pretty torrid series for him so far, is averaging seventeen point eight. In Perth he got twenty one, twenty eight, Brisbane zero fifteen, Adelaide twenty nine to four, Melbourne two thirty four and today twenty seven. So he hasn't actually passed thirty five for the entire series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like a different one compared to say Harry Brook, who we're going to talk about it in a minute. He was up here at the doing the press conference talking about it. What a frustrating series it's been for him, because he has done much better than that in terms of I think he's been out five times between thirty two and fifty one kind of in that range, and he would have been out again in that range when he kind of skyhooked that won the land between three fielders. But yeah, like that were probably the two big variables I thought coming into the series, like, you know, we knew Route, and we new routes an excellent player.
Speaker 3: We knew Stoke is Stokes is an excellent player. I kind of thought that.
Speaker 2: The series would hinge potentially on Crawley and sorry on duck and Brook and how well they would go out here will neither of them have had great series?
Speaker 1: No, Joe Rout and Harry Brook came together at the end or in the middle of that first session and then didn't really look troubled too much. As you sort of touched on the short ball tactic. Maybe ruffled a few feathers with Brooke and trying to prevent himself from taking it on all the time. And he did speak about that and having to stain his bubble a bit. But other than Joe Root's first ball where he played a pretty outlandish cover drive and cleanly missed it, he didn't look troubled at all. Their partnership of one hundred and fifty four is the largest for England this series, and they're both in the seventies, not out overnight. Both will have their eye one hundred. It would be Brooks first in Australia and it would be Roots second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you touched on the first ball that he faced.
Speaker 2: I mean not only did he miss it trying to drive again, I mean it was pretty full and it just shifted away late. But I thought I was telling what he tried to do, So what he did after he missed the ball, he practiced an even more violent swing, as if like the problem was he didn't swing hard enough. It's like for a player who's that good like you, you don't see the Australian's cover driving in that manner in their first fifteen to twenty thirty balls, the way that some of the East England guys do. Yes, if they get a half holly, they'll push it away, but they don't swing their absolute you know, swing their bum off to trying to hit that ball. So I just thought that was interesting. But it's hard to criticize him because you're right, like, beyond that point he was fantastic and kept a really calm head through some mad cap, kind of.
Speaker 3: Hardy Rooks stuff. The late cut. I think the route played that really really well. He did end up cover driving really well. There are a couple of balls.
Speaker 2: There's one ball from Green that must couldn't have been wider than a fourth start maybe a third and three and a half line ball, and he just added it down to third man four and that when he doing that, he's so hard to bolt to.
Speaker 1: And with that little shot down to third man that you talk about, I often get frustrated when there's not a fielder on the rope protecting that boundary. But when Steve Smith eventually did put a fielder down there to stop him getting boundaries, he was still finding the rope. He was hitting on either side of Jake Weatherold who was down there. So he's just that adept at it and if the pitch and the conditions are right where he can judge the bounce while it's such a profitable area for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's probably been the frustrating part for England fans this series, is they're watching one of the all time greats guys who averages fifty more than ten thousand Test runs, and just his judgment around that has been poor this series.
Speaker 3: Like he's got the conditions in his favor. First day batting wicket, pretty true bounce.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you can go and you can play that shot once you're kind of in. But there's been some other times on some spicier wickets where it looks like that, like he still wants to score that way. Well, he's good enough to find other ways to score and he has succeeded in conditions. You know, he's gone to India and improved his player against spin, and you know he's put shots away for different parts of his career, and yeah, I think it'd be frustrating to to kind of get to the end of the series and look, he might well end up with two hundreds, but you know one, yeah, one was you know, a really good knock, but you know, I think there were five or six others that weren't you know, didn't give his team much and he'll finish with two hundreds in Nashi series. I'm not sure how many English players have kind of done that over the last last little bit in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, curiously, he hasn't actually passed fifty in any of the other innings other than that one hundred and today. So a bit of a mixed results for Roots in this series. That shortball tactic that they bumped Brook with, especially at first, and they did get it to Root, but it didn't prove as effective. He almost hold out early on. So Australia have put pretty much every fielder on the rope except for maybe a gully and sort of a fly slip, hoping that he takes it on and skyes it. And they were getting cam Green to do a lot of that donkey work, and then even Start was buying some short stuff. But then when he came from the other end, he got onto a massive pull shot that went into the big scoreboard sort of down near the bill o'releigh stand I believe, And so when it comes off, I mean he's got all the white ball shots so you can see why he wants to take it on. But it does come with risk, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again a failure to read the conditions. Like in England you miss hits, can go for six and you've got short square boundaries. Well we actually have really big square boundaries in this country. And the seg is no exception the one. Yeah, I remember the field when he was on forty five. I think it was off green. There was a square leg kind of on the ring, a very square mid on mid wicket on the ring.
Speaker 3: Then you had a deep forward square, a deep backward square and a deep fine leg. Great idea, let's play a pull shot to it to a ball about.
Speaker 2: High level high. He was really lucky to get away with it. And then they had the exact same field when he tried it from the other.
Speaker 3: End, as you said.
Speaker 2: And yeah, there was I think the over or a couple of balls before he hit that six, kind of scooping over his left shoulder. There was one that fell short of joss ingliss at fine legs. So some real helter skelter kind of stuff. I mean, even when they pitched up to him at the.
Speaker 3: Start of his innings.
Speaker 2: I think It was twice in his first eight balls that he French cup balls passed the stumps off off Scott bowl and so he could have been out three or four times, you know, four balls short balls in a kind of around that there was some There was some good stuff, I.
Speaker 1: Suppose, yeah, there were And when when he middles at it, I mean, it just looks incredible racist to the boundary. It was a super quick outfield here today as well. I know there's been a lot of speculation on the length of the grass on the pitch, but the length of the grass on the outfield might have been a bit shorter than we used to sing as well, because the MCG was slow here. It's a lightning fast.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, just over all good batting conditions.
Speaker 2: And yeah, a spinner would have been handy at times, I think, But yeah, we'll have to wait and see how it cracks up on one of the other things. I think with the selection of the non selection of Murphy, and you know, Webster is a tall guy. Green as a tall guy, some cracks do start to open up. As Steve Smith hinted at the toss, he kind of expects them to. They certainly did in the Sheffield Shield game that he played in here in November. Having tall, fast bowlers who can hit those cracks will really help.
Speaker 1: I found it interesting today when Stark took the wicked of Ducket after being put away for a few boundaries, no celebration whatsoever, just made it look very cool and calm and as if he sort of didn't really rate the wicket potentially. But he's now got twenty seven to for the series. He's on track for one of the best in recent times, certainly in terms of recent memory. But I found it interesting when he went down to fine Leg. He got a big cheer from his home crowd after that wicket. When Scott Boland a few hours later got the wicket of Jacob Bethel, an even bigger raw for a Victorian here in New South Wales. So I did find that a bit curiously.
Speaker 3: Why would that be?
Speaker 2: Do you think maybe they know that Stark doesn't really love bowling at this ground.
Speaker 3: That might be the key thing there.
Speaker 2: I think it's twenty nine wickets by Pat Cummins in the twenty nineteen Nashes. That's the best haul by an Australian bowler in an ASHES series since since Johnson's thirty seven in thirteen to fourteen, So.
Speaker 3: He's what is he only two two.
Speaker 2: Away from equaling three away from going past it? You adding what he's done with the ball, Yeah, we've spoken heaps. Sorry you adding what he's done with the bat. He's had a remarkable series. I think if he gets some runs in this Test, it'll basically be the best all time. So the best all round Ashes series since Warns forty wickets and around two hundred runs in the two thousand and five Ashes series. So yeah, spectacular stuff from Mitchell Stark. I kind of think the lack of emotion around his wicket had to do how he bowled in and around that. Like, I think he gets really grumpy when he's not bowling as well as he knows he can, and looks like he's struggling with the footmarks a little bit and slipping and sliding. He had the big stomper out I think, you know, after eight or nine overs, so he just wasn'te hundred percent happy with, you know, with everything, and then he bowls a peach to get him out and he's kind of like, oh, well, I should have been on that five hours ago.
Speaker 1: Imagine having such high standards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So that's day one done. We're going to start half an hour earlier tomorrow and day two at ten am local time or plenty of others to catch up on. So hopefully clear skies and plenty of play tomorrow. Lou Let's finish with the BBL grid game and competitions just rolling along at the minute. Melbourne Derby on tonight as well at the MCG, so big crowd expected there. My score today I was very happy, with lots of purples and lots of blues. A rarity score of fifteen point nine gets me on that leaderboard, but not quite at the top. My best score was a Perth scorcher and a Melbourne star, somebody who's played for both teams.
Speaker 3: Who would you go for a few?
Speaker 2: Well, I did, We were doing these. I was doing this in the rain, delayed next to you. I haven't finished mine, so I don't want you to give any spoilers on the ones I haven't done. But I've completed one, two, three, four, five squares. Did you say scorches and stars? Yeah, yeah, so I did do that one. I was really disappointed. I went hamish McKenzie. I thought that was pretty rare, the left arm, left arm wrist spinner.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: You know, what are you thinking like, maybe you know point, you know, like two percent, three percent?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe believe four percent Hamish McKenzie fans, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: My best one was I'm sterling to hear your answer that one. My best one was Ben Edmondson zero point nine percent. I thought that was you know, that's a very good score. And I turned around and I asked you if you'd done that square. You said you had. You said you'd also done Ben Edmondson.
Speaker 3: So crazy.
Speaker 1: So yes, you can pick your Hamish McKenzie's if you want. But if you want to play the BBR good game, people should go to the Big Bash at Yes, they should catch everyone tomorrow, like the Unflavored Podcast
Speaker 2: Five