Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the Sitdown. I'm Mattrolope from Ozopen dot com and I'm.
Speaker 2: Viv Christy from Australian Tennis magazine and Matt. This week we are talking to Pallo Lorenzi, who has a big job right now as tournament director of the Italian Open in Rome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does. And this is a player who only recently retired himself. He was a former world number thirty three who played his last match in twenty twenty one, and he stayed very connected with Italian tennis. This is a man who told us that he warmed up Mateo Berettini before the Wimbledon final in twenty twenty one. And he's also i think played doubles and trained with Yanix Sinner. And he told our colleague Gerson Caderus, who he chatted to on the ground in Rome, just exactly the impact that Yanick Sinner is having on tennis in Italy. His rise to the top of men's tennis. He's Australian Open victory has had a massive flow on effect for tennis in the country and has led to like a surge in interest. So it was really cool to kind of get his insights about how that's how that's impacting the tournament in Rome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Italian tennis, I mean, what a great place it's in. Not only have you got Sinner doing so well, but there's nine Italian men and five Italian women inside the world's top one hundred, so exciting times ahead.
Speaker 1: They're the Davis Cup champions, that the Billy jing Kin Cup finalists. And one thing that I thought was interesting he said too, was of those Italian men in the top one hundred, the majority of them are twenty three or under. So you know it means the features bright for Italian tennis.
Speaker 2: It certainly is. Let's hear what he has to say.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to start from the beginning.
Speaker 4: When I was seven eight years old, every year I'm from Senna in Toscany, I took the bus with all the tennis school and I came in.
Speaker 3: Here to watch all the players.
Speaker 4: And this is for I think almost every tennis player in Italy, every kids that's playing tennis, is usually when it's wrong time, you're gonna take the bus and it's gonna come to watch tennis. And I think this is the first step that brings you you to dream to become a tennis player. And that's why I think it's for the federation, but for everyone this tournament is so important.
Speaker 5: And what were your dreams back then?
Speaker 4: Of course, on the day I was my dream was to become number one in the world. Then you start playing your tournaments when you are under twelve and fourteen and your dream has become, of course, to be number one. But then you know, okay, maybe one day I want to play the future. Then I want to play a challenge, and then I want to play a TP and then you try your best.
Speaker 3: But I think this is the first step, is this tournament to room. And I think that what is shame.
Speaker 4: What is the big difference of Rome and of this tournament and about the other one thousand is the kids. I don't know if you walk a way around, but at the end of this tournament, we're going to have fifty five thousand kids only for these twelve days. And the Federation always start bringing a lot of kids. And this is the first step. And then this is the first step. The last step is the nex sinner.
Speaker 5: The last step is onix ciner.
Speaker 6: So is this part of the success because you bring in so many kids that maybe wouldn't normally be exposed to tennis.
Speaker 3: I think that this is the part.
Speaker 4: The other one is that in the last twenty twenty five years, because I remember was the beginning of Andress Spy career, we started to have a lot of challenger and future Italy. In one moment, if you were watching calendar, we had twenty five challenger and more than three future. So what this one doesn't mean that every week you're going to have wild car for Italian players that they can play this tournament also if they don't have the ranking. But it's not only them, they're going to bring the coach, and the coach they can watch and talk with other coaches from other countries.
Speaker 3: So they're going to improve.
Speaker 4: And after twenty years, that's why now the Italian Federation have so many good coaches and so many good players.
Speaker 5: Wow, and where do you want to go from here?
Speaker 3: Why? If you ask me, I think.
Speaker 4: This is the beginning because we have of course one player on the top ten, but three four years ago we had also very tiny If you watch right now we have Musetti, we have Analdi, we have Cobli, we have Nardi. All these players one hundred twenty three years old, so we don't know where they're going to go. I think that we're going to have another ten twelve years and then the goal is to bring more of them and maybe in ten years, fifteen years, we're going to have I don't know, ten players to fifty why not.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's a big goal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, But.
Speaker 4: I think that you have to dream big because if you dream big, then at the end you're going to have something. And I think that this work, like I said, started from the federation twenty years ago. I'm not saying that it's just started. I'm saying that this process is a long process. Day basis are big, so that's why I think we can we can have a lot of results.
Speaker 5: What role does the singer play in this whole development?
Speaker 4: Now, in this moment is the most important roles because it's the example for the new generation, for the players that they are good and they want to become even better. And everyone in Italy is watching Ciner So to be an example and to be young is not easy, but I think the Yannick Kiss is the right person to do that.
Speaker 5: And how do you see that in excitement? In numbers? For example, how do you see it.
Speaker 3: In numbers right now, if.
Speaker 4: You see in the audience, a Yani Ciner match is like a football match in Italy, and this honey is almost never happened in the last three years, and and Sena is playing, you have the live score. Whatever in ever is the new side in Italy Online everyone is talking about if you I don't know, if you walk in the street, they're talking why Sina is not down number one? How many points he needs? Now everyone is talking about tennis. So I think that can bring a lot more in the in the tennis in Italy.
Speaker 5: So is it almost competing with football?
Speaker 4: I think that Siner right now maybe can be better than football because I think right now is the most famous spotsman in Italy. It's like Tomba a few years ago or Valentino Rossi.
Speaker 6: As a tennis administrator and as tournament director. Do you think players or former players make the best administrators in tennis.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, because if you think that only the format tennis player can do some things, I don't think is right.
Speaker 3: Season. I think that they know tennis, they know.
Speaker 4: A little bit better how to run a tournament because they can speak with the players, they know what they need, so they have an advantage. I'm not saying that they're the only one that they can do that, but I'm sure they have advantage.
Speaker 6: Now look at the money side of things. This whole excitement, this golden era of Italian tennis, has it also brought in more money?
Speaker 4: Yes, now there are full show most sponsor. Everyone was want to be involved in tennis because of course everyone is talking about tennis. We just want the Davis Cup we made finally in belishing cups, so this must bring a sponsor and a lot of people. I think that everyone is becoming concentrated on the goal, and the goal is to have always top players, because the top players bring you more kids and then you have a big base, then you're going to have more plays for the future.
Speaker 6: So do you get more requests for tournament sponsors right now?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: We have ry that this most important tennis channel in Italy, they are coming back.
Speaker 3: To put them m on TV again.
Speaker 4: Sponsors want to be part of the wrong tournament, but they want to be part of the Devis Cup team and all these kind of things. So this of course is going to help us, but we need to remain focused on the goal.
Speaker 5: Does that also mean the tournament will grow.
Speaker 4: Of course, our goal is to grow. The numbers are crazy. People want wants to come here, and we are selling more tickets and so of course the tournament has grown.
Speaker 3: I don't know what we can.
Speaker 4: Do better than you every year, but our goal is to be a better tourn How about a roof, and the roof is I think our most important goal for the next years. This is in historical place, so it's not easy to change things. They already give us the permission to do the roof, but of course you saw the petrent records. Everything is sold and historical, so we need to have a little bit more permission.
Speaker 3: But I think in the next few years the roof.
Speaker 5: Is going to be ready.
Speaker 6: What about the federation setting up its own tennis channel on TV. When did this start and how is this part of the success?
Speaker 7: Maybe as well, but this is a big part of the success is we have tennis sun is more than fifteen years and was the first time that we in the last twenty years, we brought tennis on TV on NORMATIV, so we brought tennis to all the families in Italy.
Speaker 4: So you are home and you can watch tennis I think that that's a big change because you can follow your top players. You can follow tennis men's and women, and I think that is changing slowly, but it changed the things. So if you ask me, the first three things are a lot of kids, the tennis channel and a lot of tournaments. That was the key for the grown of the tennis in Italy.
Speaker 5: And Super Tennis is free TV.
Speaker 4: This is free TV, and this is one of the most important thing because think everyone can watch tennis on Super Tennis all day, twenty four hours a.
Speaker 5: Day, and it is a purely federation investment. Is it owned by the federation?
Speaker 3: Is owned by the federation.
Speaker 4: Right now you have free all the Challenger, you had big tournaments, you have the US Open.
Speaker 3: So I think that all these matches you can watch for fair.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's fantastic. Just got a couple more. Is there an Italian way of playing tennis?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: And I think that at the beginning, like when I was starting to play pro, that was a key moment because we were watching Spain or other country like the United States, that all the players that were to say similar because in the States you serve used four and in Spain that was trying to use a lot of spin. The Italian Federation. No, we don't have like we have a school, but not that we have to follow some rules. And then I think it's why we have seen it that is playing like this. Then we have Lorenzo Musset with one end back, and then we have I don't know Cobli that is a fighter, and then every player is different.
Speaker 3: And I think also this when it's helping us a lot.
Speaker 6: And you practiced with Singer and Pertini quite a few times, right.
Speaker 4: Right, We were jogging right now because I warm up better till before the finally Winbledon. So it enjoyed the lost because it was my fault, I hope, not because I always told him that he won the first set and it was because he practiced with me.
Speaker 5: What's Sinner blaming you for anything? Siner? Is he blaming you for anything as well?
Speaker 4: Okay, the first time that it made semi in ATP to fifteen, Anthweb, we played doubles together and we made semis.
Speaker 3: So I think also you have to thanks me a lot for this.
Speaker 5: So who was better in practice?
Speaker 4: I have to say that they are completely different players because very tiny you, serf. Sometimes I'm telling you you know where you're gonna serve, but you can return. And then you have seen the intensity when it was already sixteen seventeen years old. The intensity that he put on courts was unbelilable. It was so focused.
Speaker 3: And so this is why, now who would be the next number one of the world.
Speaker 2: So Yannick Sinner as the world number one player, Well that could prediction could come true as soon as Roland Garros with Novak Djokovic defending lots of points as defending champion and yes, Sinna with a great opportunity.
Speaker 1: There absolutely and I mean we're talking about Novak Djokovic, the most dominant number one in tennis history and took a back of Carlos Elcarez last year and has held on to it ever since. He's been number one for well over four hundred weeks. So to have a torch passing moment potentially as soon as Roland Garros with Yanick Sinner taking it over, that's a pretty interesting plot line.
Speaker 2: So we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down. When we talked to Francesca Schiavoni, a former Roland Garros champion and a legend another legend of Italian tennis.
Speaker 1: You can listen to John and the team in the meantime this Thursday on the AO Show. Weekly and details for how to contact Vive and I are in the show notes below. As always, play, subscribe, rate and review. We'll see you next week, Viv.
Speaker 2: Look forward to it. Matt Hey