Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Outspoken. It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Sophie Torber and coming up on today's show, Amy Girard calls out her own family on Mother's Day. Saffron Barker's dream trip to the US has turned into a nightmare. Why everyone is losing their minds over La Boo Boos and our Friday de Brief but First, Rachel Dillon has been forced to ask her followers to keep a special secret for her. The Finnis influencer is currently thirty weeks pregnant and accidentally let slip her son's name to her one point eight million followers on her Instagram story now Kate. She only realized the mistake when she received an influx of messages from her followers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She quickly deleted the story and wrote to her audience, I did just say his name on my story for all of those who saw and message, Oops, baby brain, But can it be our little secret? It's been a name I've wanted from my boy for years, and I speak about him using his name, so it's just natural now. Fortunately, from what I've seen, people have been pretty respectful to Rachel's wishes. We even had a thread in our Facebook group asking what's the name? And no one has given it, which I'm pleased to see. I'm actually shocked that no one has leaked this name. It's a very pleasant surprise. Do we think that maybe not that many people caught the name? Well, I think it's probably a case of the people who twigged and heard the name and messaged her are probably hardcore Rachel Dylan fans and they want to respect her privacy. And she put out that message saying, you know, please, can you help keep my secret? I bet the Daily Mails kicking themselves that they didn't catch this name. Yeah, I've seen a few influence of watchdog accounts asking did anyone catch it?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: While Rachel is pregnant with her first baby, she's also a step mom to her husband, Toby Pierce's daughter, Anna. Anna's mum is, of course, Kayla Assinas, Toby's ex fiance and business partner, and I have really enjoyed seeing Anna and Rachel's relationship blossom on her Instagram story and it's so sweet because Rachel shared a video of Anna surprising her with a Mother's Day card where she called her her second mummy. Let's take a listen, you guess, Kelly, I do. Yeah, my momius the baby.
Speaker 3: How that's very true.
Speaker 1: My mom should get an award for growing a baby. I think they should do.
Speaker 4: She's unique because she is my second mummy. On that's a nic baby.
Speaker 2: I love her focus.
Speaker 1: She was on the fact that Rachel gets around poo bearing it as I like to call it, with a belly out all the time.
Speaker 2: I just loved it.
Speaker 1: The things that kids seem to focus on, well, it is pretty funny because I think it's quite a novel thing for people to see, like it's in fashion at the moment. But you know, a kid kind of just calls it how they see it and says, oh, you wear your tummy out all the time. When I see these blossoming relationships between step parents, I sometimes wonder how the other parents feel. I put myself in that situation and think, how would I feel if my future child referred to someone else as their second mom. Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. When I was watching it, I was thinking, Oh, I wonder how I'd feel if this was Jack, And my heart actually sank a little bit. But then You've got to remember, it's so nice that Anna gets on with their step mom. I mean, the situation would be way worse. I mean in fairy tales you hear about all these evil step moms, and I think it's actually so nice that we're seeing this positive step mother and stepdaughter relationship playing.
Speaker 2: It's really beautiful.
Speaker 1: I think you'd be very relieved that your child had such a positive person in their life. But for me, for some reason, them calling them also their mom, I would just find really triggering. The thing is you probably wouldn't normally have to watch it, but because Rachel has shared it on social media, you are watching it in real time and that interaction. That being said, Anna also seems very close with Jay, which is Kayla's partner. I don't know if she refers to him as dad, but it's an interesting one. She wasn't referring to Rachel as mum, like she was calling her Rachel, but it just said she had to fill out a worksheet for school and said my second mummy, Like that's a fun fact about her. I'm looking forward to all of our kids going to school. I want to receive some of these gifts. They're quite funny. The only thing is the kids seem to drop you in it and point out all of your embarrassing little flaws, all the stupid things that you.
Speaker 2: Do around the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't sugarcoat anything.
Speaker 3: All right. Quick. PSA for all the husbands out there, your mom can get a text message, a phone call, but if you have a wife with kids, that's the woman that needs to be celebrated through that day.
Speaker 1: Amy Gerard has slammed her family for not celebrating her on Mother's Day. The radio host shared an emotional post saying she felt unappreciated and undervalued. Kate, before we get into it, for those not familiar with Amy, can you give us a bit of background. Tem Me actually started out on social media, documenting her journey with motherhood on Instagram. Is that a fancy way of saying that she's a mummy blogger? Because I know the term mummy blogger is very frowned upon it the moment we get nervous to use that. Yeah, it is a term that we're trying to retire at the moment. So her audience began to grow as she shared her honest and sometimes comedic take on parenting. She now has one hundred and fifty six thousand followers and released a memoir, host two podcasts, created a wine company, and, as you said in the intro, has become a weekend radio host on Kiss FM.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: On Mother's Day, Amy shared a photo of clouds over a river at dusk with the caption nothing quite like Mother's Day to really highlight how underappreciated and undervalued you are one day and not a single person in my family could make it special. I'm flying to Paris next year. Can you imagine being her husband and opening up Instagram and seeing this, You'd be like, I have fucked up. Oh, your stomach would absolutely drop because not only are your family and friends seeing this, but over a one hundred and fifty six thousand people on Instagram who were judging you for not doing anything. And you just know, in this day and age, there's going to be think pieces written about it, It's going to be spoken about a lot, and there's probably going to be a big argument at home. And also the fact that she now is a radio host. Yeah, this is going to be your topic on her radio show. It's also awkward because this year and we've spoken about it with our friends I've seen this real shift of the way that people are celebrating Mother's Day, particularly on social media. When I woke up, there were a lot of mothers who were almost celebrating themselves, which I thought was quite nice. Like they were marking it with a post of them and their children saying that, you know, thank you for making me a mom and sharing the highlights of their motherhood journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I haven't seen before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seemed like you had to wish everyone a happy Mother's Day, like your friends who are mums, and your mother in law and your mom, and like it's not just because I think the day is about your mom and your relationship with your mom. And then also if you're a mother, your kid showing you some appreciation. Yeah, I mean the shops must be loving it. Because I don't know where this concept of having to buy other mom's presence came from.
Speaker 2: I felt so terrible.
Speaker 1: My sister in law bought me this beautiful little jumpsuit for our baby and was saying, oh, you know, even though you haven't had the baby yet, happy first Mother's Day. And I just felt like an asshole because I didn't buy her anything. I was like, I didn't know this was a thing. Well, I mean, yeah, we were talking about I think it was on a subs episode. How it was contentious whether you get someone who's pregnant a Mother's Day gift or not. They have to wait till they have had the baby.
Speaker 2: You feel like Brownon was scared here.
Speaker 1: When I woke up, he prepared me my favorite breakfast, very basic, which was Antella mon toast.
Speaker 2: He brought me some air pods.
Speaker 1: I take it back by the gift, and he also had a card because he knows that I love cards. And he had a message from our unborn son Archie and also himself in there. And it did see because your husband and Amy's husband they both put up these beautiful posts for your first Mother's Day with the carousela photos and he's like, do you want me it a social media posts? I was like, no, that's fine. Well my husband also got the memo. I was very spoilt and very grateful for all the effort that he put in. I definitely didn't have the same situation as ab Grard. So the next day she went on to her Instagram story to provide a bit more context. So talking to the camera, she explained that she's low maintenance and doesn't ask for much or expect gifts. However, she said she was hoping for a cup of tea or breakfast in bed and got neither.
Speaker 2: Instead.
Speaker 1: She said that she did countless loads of washing, rake the lawn, and broke up arguments between her kids. She went on to say it was her fault for thinking things would be different on other's day. Here's more of what she said.
Speaker 3: And so I.
Speaker 2: Basically just.
Speaker 1: Got on with my day and I was just whatever. And then towards the afternoon, I don't know, Bobby and Kobe were off.
Speaker 3: So like demonic children, and they were just.
Speaker 1: Like taking in turns to go me. And then I think at like three point thirty, I was like.
Speaker 3: This and I just got my keys.
Speaker 1: I feel like having breakfast in bed supplied for you is the bare minimum when you've got kids who live at home. I remember being in my twenties and still making pancakes for Mum on the morning of Mother's Day. I don't think that there's any excuse here. I also think that it comes down to the father setting the agenda for the day and saying, hey, we're going to get up early. We're going to make mums and breakfast and let's plan a nice day for her.
Speaker 2: I do feel a bit.
Speaker 1: Uncomfortable how she said their kids were off their effing tits and they were demonic, like.
Speaker 2: They much lay bad.
Speaker 1: But I mean their primary school age children. I think her oldest one is ten and the others are a little bit younger. Maybe she thought this was relatable though, because we were seeing, as I said before, just all of the beautiful moments of motherhood being shared on Instagram on Sunday, whereas no one was really suing the reality. Well, I'm glad that we've got a bit of reality on Mother's Day. Yeah, I mean, as an influencer, it was nice to actually, you know, see that her day wasn't perfect. And I think obviously we're seeing a lot of highlight reels from the day. I think she must have gone online started comparing her day to everyone else's in it just the rage would have built up and built up. I mean. The response was mixed. Amy said that she was flooded with sympathetic messages from her followers. She said she received two thousand replies to her story from other mums, saying that they also felt like pieces of shit.
Speaker 2: On Mother's Day, which is so sad.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I hate about social media because in this day and age, you can compare and see what other people's partners and kids have done for them and instantly think, well, why haven't I had the same treatment. I just think it made me feel uncomfortable that she specifically named her children and called them out. I do think the message should have been directed.
Speaker 2: At her husband. I mean, the kids are young.
Speaker 1: Yes, they could have behaved, but it's up to the partner to facilitate breakfast in bed in a present. I mean, don't schools do cards and stuff like that we're talking about Rachel Dlon got a card.
Speaker 2: Well, talking about.
Speaker 1: Mother's Day cards, did you see the one that rocks in ankhost daughter Pixie curtis right for her. I'm still in shock over this one because she took a photo of the message in the card, and one line that stood out to me was I will miss you so so so much when I go to Switzerland. Who will tell you to go ten because the UV is high. Now Roxy and her family they're currently living in Singapore, and just like Australia, the UV is very high there.
Speaker 2: The really disturbing thing.
Speaker 1: About this that people may not realize is that Roxy and her daughter are both natural redheads. They have very pale skin, type one skin. So the fact that Roxy has been pushing this as a normal message to her daughter is quite concerning.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, redheads are significantly more prone to skin cancer, particularly melanoma. In fact, their risk of melanoma is ten to one hundred times higher than those without red hair.
Speaker 2: So fuck it gets me worried.
Speaker 4: We're going to the Yes, come on to road it with us.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I've already been freaking out because they've just given us our dream car to drive. UK influencers. Saffron Barker's dream trip to the US with her boyfriend Josh Milne has turned into a nightmare. The couple are now stranded in the States after their passports were stolen from the boot of their rental car. Sophie, it sounds like it's been the holiday from hell. Why did I get Matt Lucas's voice in my head? With Saffron also being hospitalized, Yeah, it really seems to be one thing after the other on this trip. It was the first time that Saffron was traveling to the US with her boyfriend and the third time this year, though well the third time for her first time with her and a new boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Saffron shared an Instagram story of her sitting in a very fancy dentist chair and her eyes looked incredibly puffy, like she'd been crying, and she was holding onto this stuffed toy rat Now. The caption read, in the last week, I have been in hospital, had emergency surgery, got my rental car completely smashed up, and every single thing I own stolen, including my passport, so I can't get home. When I saw this, I immediately sent it to you because I was like, fuck, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Well, she looked.
Speaker 1: Completely broken, and the post generated a lot of confusion because Saffron has been in the US for a few weeks now on a brand shoot, and she also attended Stage Coach with her sister in law, and one of the big reasons that she is also in the US is to get her teeth fixed. We spoke about this in depth on the Subs episode because for the past year she has been trolled and ridiculed about her veneers. So she opened up last week that she had been considering suing her London based dentist over them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she previously.
Speaker 1: Tried in Visilne, which I think a lot of influencers were doing at the time, but she hated wearing the plates because she's very self conscious about having a lisp on camera.
Speaker 2: So her dentist allegedly.
Speaker 1: Convinced her that he could make her teeth perfect by adding just two veneers at the front of her smile. So the two venirs quickly turned into four and it left her teeth looking really mismatched in colour because they were just so white, and they also were way too big for her mouth. She ended up actually having to go to a second local dentist who attempted to fix her teeth, and they ended up having to add even more veneers, which left her with this very unnatural looking smile. The worst bit is she didn't actually update her audience to say she was getting veneers, so she would attract so many comments to like, what is going on with your teeth because it made her look like a completely different person. Yeah, so she decided that while she was in the US, why don't I go and fix my teeth for a third time, So she booked herself into this celebrity dentist called doctor John Marashi, who is based in la He's actually the man behind Lindsay Lohan's new smile. Last year, there were so many before and after photos of Lindsay's circulating on TikTok, because she'd had a lot of really good work done, but also her teeth, because during those years where she was in the public eye, Lindsay had a drug problem which affected the way her teeth looked, and everyone was saying, oh my god, she looks so much better with these new veniers.
Speaker 2: They're very natural.
Speaker 1: It's because her teeth actually look like what they used to look like, and I think that was shaped to them. Yeah, And I think that's where a lot of influencers and celebrities have gone wrong. They've all jumped on this bandwagon and got these big white, fake veneers and I think we're going to see a lot of people reversing them to much more natural looking teeth now. Saffron's post led many people to speculate that maybe she'd been unlucky again and had medical complications due to her third set of veneers, because again, this photo was taken of her at the dentists all like she was speaking about having this terrible time at the dentist, you were following the speculation. The next day, Saffron shared a post gushing about her new teeth so. She wrote, after all the dramas I've had this trip, there's been a lot, I'm still smiling because of the incredible work doctor John has done to transform my smile back to being mine again. After having such bad experience with dental work in the past, I was honestly scarred and didn't think I'd ever be able to sit in a dentist's chair again. But then I met John, who completely changed that. There are some people in life you know, are just special people, and this man has proved that and given me faith back in humanity. Thank you, doctor John. Your understanding, care and attention in and out of office hours are beyond any expectation. I'll be eternally grateful for your kindness. It's definitely a bit of a back pet there. I feel like his team saw her Instagram story of her sitting inconsolable in his chair and were like, clear this up immediately because this is a very gushy post. The fact that she said he's restored her faith in humanity. I mean that's a massive call.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it also makes me feel like the dental work must have been gifted, because why else is she doing a post about it and showing off his work.
Speaker 2: And saying how fantastic he is.
Speaker 1: Or it could be a case that he was so pissed off that it looked like she was inferring things had gone wrong that she had to post this to kind of smooth things over with him, or anyone can see looking at the photos that her teeth look a million times better. They look so much more natural. They have this really nice shape to them, because before her teeth just sort of they just went in one line and they were all the same size.
Speaker 2: They just looked so unnatural.
Speaker 1: She looks so much younger as well. Yeah, she looks more like herself now. Saffron has still kept her followers in the dark about what this medical emergency actually was, and many people have accused her of clickbaiting the story to be anticipation for when she does a full storytime on a YouTube channel. She did open up, though, on TikTok about her rental car being robs so in a post on TikTok, she shared a video of her and her boyfriend Josh singing in the car on their way to Las Vegas and wrote, they don't know it yet, but in two hours time into their dream road trip, they'll end up getting their rental cars smashed up and everything they had with them stolen, including their passports. She then followed it up with a vlog of their road trip a day later. So, Josh had met up with Saffron in La just days before, and they'd planned to do a four hour road trip.
Speaker 2: To Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: And it was pretty awkward because in the opening scenes of this TikTok vlog, Saffron said she was so excited because the rental company had given them their dream car, and she felt as though they had a lot of luck on their side that morning, looking by the full shadowing Yeah. Josh then spoke about being nervous driving the car because he hadn't driven in the US before and that he had very precious cargo so he wanted to be very safe now. The car in question was a white Jeep, and I feel like they looked very much like Ken and Barbie in this car. I feel like it would have attracted a lot of attention. So they ended up stopping at a seven eleven for hot dogs and cokes, and then hours later stopped at a fifties diner called Peggy Sues, and so Fron spoke about how it was really nostalgic for her because that's where her and her family stopped for the first time they drove to Las Vegas. Now, the diner, as Saffron pointed out, was in the middle of nowhere, and the couple left their suitcases in the back and went inside for lunch. I want to point out that this was in the middle of the day, so broad daylight. Yeah. Now, when they returned to their car, they found the back window had been completely smashed in and their suitcases were gone, and Saffron was in tears, explaining that her medication had been stolen and everything else in the car was gone. What medication, Because there's been a lot of question marks of her, whether she's on her zen pick. Well, surely she wouldn't include that in the vlog if she was referring to its empic.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It just makes me think because people have said they've spot in her fridge.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Yeah, that thought did cross my mind. But then I also remember the fact that she had been rushed in for emergency surgery, so maybe the medication was related to that. Assumed the emergency surgery was after this incident, but who knows. We need more details, so we need the story time. The thing is, there was quite an outpouring of sympathy for Saffron. A lot of people felt bad for her and Josh, but there were also a number of people who blamed the couple for leaving their passports in the car. One user wrope, but who leaves their passports in a car whilst on holiday? And Saffron actually responded to that post saying anyone who was driving from one state to another now. Another user agreed, saying why leave important things in the car? Always keep it on you. She responded again, saying you expect us to take four suitcases and two duffels with us into a restaurant we was in. Sorry, that just sounds like a for thirty minutes. It's easier said than done. There's not a victim blaming going on. I mean, I am surprised that you wouldn't probably put your passport in your handbag and bring it in, But all the other things, like she's had everything stolen from them. Also, when I saw that this robbery had taken place in the middle of the day outside a diner where there are a lot of people walking in and out, I was quite surprised, Like you would you would think that your stuff was safe in the back of your car, But it sounds like they were being pretty flashy, like they've got this flash car. They're, you know, attractive couple. They were obviously catching a lot of attention, and some locals gone, oh, I'm going to robble their expensive belongings. Well, I hope they didn't take a camera because I really want to see this trip unfold. She probably was vlogging in the diner, so it's probably hopefully well. One TikTok user wrote in the comments that the exact same thing happened to them recently in San Francisco, and they warned that rental cars can become a target in the US because generally they have a different states license played on them, so it's very obvious that people are probably carrying luggage around on traveling. I feel like this would be quite triggering for Saffron because back in twenty nineteen, her family home was burgled while she and her family were asleep inside, so her brother Jed woke up to find one of the intruders.
Speaker 2: In his room.
Speaker 1: I'll be so terrifying, and he mistakenly thought it was a family member and went back to sleep. Gosh, that is terrifying. The intruders ended up stealing their cars as well as a number of possessions inside their home, so this incident would have really triggered and brought back those emotions for Saffron.
Speaker 4: Someone please explain this to me.
Speaker 1: Why I'm in my thirties and I'm contemplating buying a little gremlin toy?
Speaker 4: Is that what they even are?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Why do I want a Labooboo?
Speaker 1: Why do I need one? The new girl trinket toy has arrived on Ossie Shores. Forget jellycats and sunny angels, A fluffy monster bag charm called a Laboo Boo is being heralded as the epitome of chic. The craze has taken hold in Australia, with hundreds lining up overnight to get their hands on the in demand monster plushies. While many have bought into the craze, others say this is proof we're just sheep who copy influences every move, so why do I already know people like you are the target market. Look, I don't actually own a Laboo Boo yet, but I feel like by the end of this episode, I'm going to convince myself that I need one, because I have literally engaged with one laboobouo video on TikTok and now my whole feed is full of influencers doing unboxing videos of them. I've got to admit I had no idea what a laboo boo was for. You brought it up for those people in the same camp as me.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 1: Well, gen Zetters have actually been doing God's work across TikTok, and they've been kindly creating videos educating elder millennials about what they are and why we need one.
Speaker 2: And we're not elder millennials. I'm saying we are.
Speaker 1: I'm saying if there's any elder millennials who are listening, because again they might be in the same camp of UK and have never heard of them. I first want to describe what they looked like, because when I first saw them, I thought it was just a fluffy bunny on a key chain, but a Labooboo is actually a fictional character that was created in twenty fifteen by a Hong Kong artist called Casing Long, and they actually appeared in his book called The Mom Monsters.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: He based them off his love of Nordic folklore, and they're known for having their fairy bodies, pointed ears, sharp teeth, and also wide eyes. And some TikTokers are going as far as describing the La Boobuo as works of art, while others say that they bear a striking resemblance to the characters in the Where the Wild Things Are books. Oh, that book takes me back. Our grandparents used to have it at their house and I got it for Jack.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: People are saying on TikTok that millennials will probably get into this trend soon because of the connection that they have with the Where the Wild Things Are book. It kind of reminds me of back in the day when we used to have about ten different key rings and our keys. Okay, they're actually worn on bags, so they're known as a bag charm, which is a whole nother element to this story. Now, this character became so popular in the Chinese kids' books that the designer decided to take his work and create them into key chains, and in twenty nineteen, he struck up an exclusive license agreement with PopMart, which is a toy company in Beijing which is known for selling knick knacks and color so they are the only place still that you can officially buy them from. So if they're kids toys, then why is every influencer now sporting one on their bag. Well, it's really down to Rihanna and a couple of big celebrities because they really took off after Rihanna was spotted with a pink laboo boo on her handbag and you cannot find this pink labooboo anywhere now. Also K pop singer Lisa, who appeared on the recent series of White Lotus. She is also behind the rise in popularity because she started posting about her collection on TikTok and instantly the sales surged. Recently, we've even seen NBA players getting into the craze, so they're wearing them clipped onto their pants when they rock up for game days. It's it's fucking wild. I just don't get it. I think they're extremely ugly and I'd hate to have something hanging off my bag. I don't know if we fall into the age group that's all about them. I really think that they're for jen Zetas. The thing that is pretty wild is that you can't even get your hands on these things. You have to physically wait until a NU draw is it PopMart, and you have to physically line up in person to get them, because, as I said, PopMart is the only place the stocks these key chains.
Speaker 2: So where is the popmark?
Speaker 1: Do we have on an Adelaide? I've never heard of it before. I don't think we have one in Adelaide. There is one in Sydney and recently there were people queuing up overnight on Pitt Street, despite the fact that there were these strong weather warnings in place, just to get their hands on the next drop.
Speaker 2: It's pretty clever.
Speaker 1: Making them only available in person adds to that exclusivity.
Speaker 2: I want to cut in.
Speaker 1: I think you can also get them online though through resellers the whole other game. Yeah, But the genius behind it is this blind box element, similar to the sunny Angels you see popping up on TikTok. So it's basically like a modern day Lucky Dip. So the idea is you buy a Laboo Boo in this sealed box and you don't know which one you're going to get, so it's a collectible. And there's basically rare ones which are known as secret Laboo Boo so they've got special colorways and they're worth a lot of money and it also gives with status if you've got one of these special ones. It's pretty crazy because the Australian blind box market is estimated to be worth one hundred and seventy million dollars and I really think it's because it plays into us almost revisiting our childhood and getting that excitement. It's almost like gambling. So when you say the Australian blind box market, are there are other companies other than Sunny Angels on the Booboo doing blind boxes. Yeah, well there's a lot of collectibles that play on this idea of which one are you going to get? See. I remember absolutely begging Mum and dad to do a lucky dip and you will always disappointed.
Speaker 2: With what you got in there.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the whole blind box concept was literally designed for TikTok because you can share with your followers the theater of it all.
Speaker 2: Because with these La Boo boos.
Speaker 1: You pop open the box and there's the tearing of the packet and then you can share your excitement or disappointment, and then those videos have the potential to go viral, particularly if you get one of the secret La Boo boos. And on TikTok jen zetters have described as similar to gambling and getting this serotonin rush when they unbox the labooboo, So there's a lot of psychology behind it. Oh yeah, These labooboos are in such demand the popmar are now selling them in slabs, so you can get a slab of six or a slab of twelve, and in the slabs you're guaranteed to get one of each color and no double ups. It seems to be the cheaper way to buy them and the most efficient way to actually get one of the colors that you want. There's also a one in seventy two chance of getting a secret laboobo, which again are the rare Laboo boos, so you do increase your chances by buying them in the slab.
Speaker 2: There are varying.
Speaker 1: Reports of how much labooboos actually cost. Because I had a look on the PopMart website and one blind box, so that is just for one labooboo costs seventy two dollars Australian dollars, yes, and think, God, what the hell? And the slabs depend on what series you're buying. So on the website there were blind boxes which had six labooboos in them and they ranged from four hundred and fifty dollars to five hundred and five fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: You can also individually buy.
Speaker 1: Ones with special outfits, so these aren't the blind box ones. They're actually ones you specifically choose and they arrange from two hundred and ninety nine dollars to four hundred and ninety nine dollars. So these little, cheap, fluffy key chains are literally being seen as these signs of wealth, even though they look a bit.
Speaker 2: Tacky hanging from your back. God, who the hell is affording this?
Speaker 1: In this cost of sales crists are like, oh, yep, I'll just get a slab of six. That's probably what my rent is going to cost this week, but oh well, well. There are tons of resellers popping up on Facebook market Place, and I think it's purely for the fact that people are buying whole slabs of them purely to get the one color that they want, and then they're like, oh fuck, I've got no use for these other ones that I'm not interested in. There's also a jupe market that's popped up, so they're called lafufous. They're a lot cheaper. I'd afer the name lafufu because there are so.
Speaker 2: Many dupes popping up.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of tiktoks created about how you can decipher if you're La Booboo Israel or fake. And they actually have QR codes on their tags and also the boxes so you can go on the website type it.
Speaker 2: In to make sure that it's actually real, which is just wild.
Speaker 1: God to gens that does just want to be kids again? Do they have the Internet too quickly and now they're like, Oh, we just want to be kids. We've got our jelly cats, We've got our laboo boos.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that there is this whole element of wanting to revisit your childhood. I have seen so many ouzzy influencers getting in on this trend, and Sofa Dofa actually received a bit of backlash because she paid for a slab of laboo Boo. She actually managed to buy some online and the store threw in around five more boxes for free. Let's have a listen, La boobom boxing.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited.
Speaker 4: So I ordered labuboos from Waves and I, oh my god, God.
Speaker 1: So I got two from Waves and then I saw on my order confirmation.
Speaker 4: I think they recognized the name.
Speaker 3: Although added in so.
Speaker 2: Many people were livid in this comment section.
Speaker 1: One person wrote, I mean happy for you, but so frustrating influencers who can afford things get things for free, and that comment got over a thousand likes. Another wrote, purchasing two items and getting everything else for free. I can't even get my hands on one of these. It was kind of like a the Molly May doco where she went through the drive through and to get coffees, and someone's like, oh, if I'd known it was you, I would have given it to you for free. It's like, why she's someone that can definitely afford this now. TikToker Jackie Alexander also got in on the action and I have been loving her unboxing videos. With her fiance, they lined up for two hours in Amsterdam to get their hands on two slabs of the labooboos. They did pay for them, I have to say. And she said that she didn't realize it was such a professional sport to actually get a labooboo. And I loved how.
Speaker 2: Into it her fiance was. I think that that's true love there.
Speaker 1: I want to know what is wrong with me psychologically, because why, after all of this, do I kind of want one. I think I'm one of those people who buy into the hype. I think I'd like the drama of it all. I like not knowing which one i'd get. I'm putting it out there. I'd like a yellow one that is my favorite color. But then I don't want one off marketplace because then you don't have the fun of having the thrill of which one you're going to get.
Speaker 2: I think you get.
Speaker 1: Instant regrets as soon as you open the box. You know what it reminds me of, like the influencers or opening laboo boos and we're over here opening Remember when Coles used to do those mini versions of products? Yes, you, I'd love it. You love the surprise of it, and you'd rip open the packet. Have I got a mini veggiemid?
Speaker 2: Have I got a little butter? What was exciting about them was that they were free. They were thrown in with you.
Speaker 1: It's like, I've already purchased this, but I'm getting free things, you know what. I almost feel like we're in the age group where it looks a bit tragic.
Speaker 2: If I rocked up with a.
Speaker 1: Lit La Boo boo on my handbag, I feel like there'd be a lot of questions.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, a lot of my friends probably be like, what the fuck is that?
Speaker 1: I just find them ugly. I understand the jelly cat train. Jelly cats are absolutely gorgeous, so cute. It's once you buy them, though, you don't really know what to do with them. Though with these you can take them out with you. I've seen a lot of influencers using them decorations like home decour on their shelves. I find that a bit tacky.
Speaker 2: I won't do that.
Speaker 1: It's like all those influencers that have the sunny angels and that's really exciting, and then they're like, where do I put these? So this is why you have a kid, because then you can decorate your nursery with the jelly cats or the sunny Angels. There has been a lot of conversation online about how the la boo boo is just proof that we are all sheep when it comes to copying what influences and celebrities do, because a year ago, if Joe Blow rocked up to a dinner with a fluffy gremlin attached to their bag, people would think it was hideous. Let's listen to one TikTok user share his frustration about the trend.
Speaker 4: If I see one more fucking la boo boo on my FYP, I think I'm gonna fucking start blocking everybody. I'm so sick of these fucking la booboos and can everybody please get their own individual sense of style? Everybody just copies everybody else.
Speaker 2: I tend to agree with what this man is saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that there has been this real rise in a cool girl uniform and that everyone is following the same fashion rules due to TikTok. I mean, if I see one more person wearing an oversized blue shirt with jeans, I think that has become the office uniform at the moment. I think that people just want to blend in though, and they think that if they have these particular elements to build their outfit around that they'll be in fashion. It makes me sad that people are building an outfit around a fluffy key change bag. Let's get into our Friday debrief and I've got a recommendation. I wasn't really expecting much from this Netflix show, but it really impressed me. So it's called Chef's Table Legends, and it's a four part documentary about chefs that have changed how the world eats. And the first part was about Jamie Oliver and I forgot how much I love Jamie Oliver. I've been watching him since his Naked Chef days. I think we were seven or eight when we first watched his shows. Yeah, so I didn't realize but he was absolutely plucked from obscurity. So he was working at this restaurant, which was like the place to be, and he got a call saying, oh, can you in and feel this person shift? And he rocked up and there was a film crew there from the BBC just filming the show. And this camera crew kept following him saying, oh, can you explain what you're doing? So we've got this footage of this extremely young looking Jamie Oliver I think it was like twenty saying like, oh yeah, I'm doing this, I'm doing that, And the next day after the show aired, he was inundated with TV show offers. They're like, we want to give your own show because he was quite a charismatic, cool, young looking guy with his blonde, floppy hair. Well, they wanted him to make cooking cool for men because it was really a female dominated industry at the time. Jimmy always said pucker, which was his cat raise. Yeah, it was quite funny watching his show back because the first episode he filmed, he said it was really boring. They got him to have his girlfriend Jules come over and he was talking to the camera and it just didn't seem like him. So he decided to come up with this style to talk off camera to the person that was filming, and then he had all his friends come over and he's like, yeah, we used to just get pissed and eat food and it was really fun to me, just like come into So it was actually filmed in his house, it was at a studio. I'm actually not sure if it was his house. It looked like it could be. There's that famous scene where he goes down the staircase banister and it's that spiral staircase. This makes me want to watch it. There's been absolutely nothing to watch on TV at the moment. We've been watching reruns of shows that we previously watched us. It actually makes me want to go back and rewatch his show fifteen and also the School Dinners one. They were classic TV shows cause you do forget what a big impact he actually had on food and food education across the UK. I didn't realize how old fifteen was as well. I had to go and google it. It was made in two thousand and two, twenty three years ago. Now it makes you feel old. Okay, I want to talk to you about my nursery because I spoke about it a little bit on the subs, but I've got a few updates. So on Saturday we dedicated the day to removing everything from there and painting it and putting in some wall paneling because the nursery has just become this dumping room for everything. When we did our kids, everything from the kitchen went in there. There was just so many random things. Isn't that the wildest thing about becoming a parent realizing that you actually have to use the spare bedrooms and you can't have a room.
Speaker 2: To just dump crap in.
Speaker 1: Well, I think Brannon was really sad because that was originally our movie room, so we had a massive TV in there, which has subsequently been removed and put in another room. Yeah, that room has now become redundant because for the next couple of months you're not gonna have a lot of time to watch movies. Really, I feel like the newborn stages when you do have a bit of downtime to actually watch them shows whilst your kids feeding. But anyway, I thought i'd talk about the look of the room because you guys are giving me shit.
Speaker 2: You're calling me a beige mum.
Speaker 1: I'm actually proud of myself for not just making this room just basic white. I've decided to have a different element in there. The paint color is actually called beige. Well, what's a different element the beige. I was going to just have it all white, but I've decided to put beige on the.
Speaker 2: Walls as well.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that makes much of a difference. Are you're also getting a green chair? Apparently that's the new beige mum thing.
Speaker 2: A green chair.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not getting a green chair. I'm having a white chair. I have tried to avoid green because I have heard a lot of rhetoric that green is very aging. As soon as people come in your house, they're like, oh, you're an elder millennial. But anyway, everyone's been giving me a shit that there's not enough fun kids things in there.
Speaker 2: So I thought i'd ad a pop of color. I've bought this mobile for the nursery. It is so cute.
Speaker 1: It's from this little business called Rommy and Me. This is not sponsored at all. I just came across her Instagram and she makes custom mobiles basically where you can include your dog. I saw one I really wanted to do it, and then I saw the price tag and I was like, holy shit, they are expensive. But I found a lot of mobiles expensive by the line, but this one she actually makes everything from scratch. So I have sent in a photo of Archie and I then got to pick all of the different felt.
Speaker 2: Colors to make him up. He is going to be surrounded by hot.
Speaker 1: Air balloons and stars and moons and clouds, and I am saying that, apart from the beige, Archie is the inspiration for the room. So there's going to be a lot of golden a lot of I'm trying to find a Coca Spaniel soft toy to sit in the crib as well. Is it at this point I tell you that you don't really use a mobile that much. Yeah, well, I'm not under any illusion that you do. I've heard that you don't hang it over the cot, you hang it over the changing matt. Yeah, but I mean I just thought it brought something different to the room, another element to the room. They are absolutely stunning mobiles, and I can see why they are so expensive because I think a lot of time and effort goes into the Amy would know because she made her own and she's like, Jula should have just bought one. Well, she offered to make me one with art, and I thought I might just go to the experts for this one. Amy's got a bit on at the moment, Tea making me a moba. We're talking about Amy. We did drop a bonus episode on Wednesday where she goes into her birth story, so if you haven't listened to that, O go give it a listen. We also dropped a subs episode on Thursday where we discussed a post that went viral in our group K and it was off the back of some comments you made about bar tabs and whether you should have alcoholic kids birthday parties. We also spoke about Steph kles Smith's son Harvey's recent birthday and our thoughts around that. We also have an update on the Jojo Si Kath Ebbs drama. It's been a lot said online about a business class flight. Cartia Milan's also involved. Also some paparazzi shots of Cath appearing to kiss a male friend, so it is all going down. You can check that out on our subs channel. That is all we have time for today, though, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: For this episode. We all hope you have an incredible weekend.
Speaker 1: This episode was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide Plains. We pay respect to elders past and present.