Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. Happy Friday guys. Today we're talking about crop tops and Love is Blind.
Speaker 2: Crop Tops number one because why won't they leave? But Love is Blind because of the weak cups they have. And it's interesting because you know, when you look at TV and media, you're like, not everything has to mean something. Everything means something. Everything is so meticulously placed there and put there for a reason, subliminal or otherwise. And we are revealing all have a lovely weekend. Here is the podcast.
Speaker 1: You're listening to, Flex and Frooms on Kita Mikiyani Mickyani out beautiful loving producer has brought a story to my attention, and that is the fact that every girl has the middle name Louise. If you're listening to this and your middle name is Louise, please dam us at Flex and Frims on Instagram. I can't at present off your prize, but I can if you come tell us and provide some government identification, we might be able to pull some strings, maybe send you a lanyard or some such Anyway, Mickey found this article from Amber Mia, which is looking at why so many women's middle name is Louise. If you're a gen Z you might not relate to this. But carry on, do we.
Speaker 2: Have a headcount? Like how many? How many do you know? Personally? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Louise? I reckon? I know one? Which is big?
Speaker 2: How do we go from? Why every girl has the middle name Louise and you're gonna say you know one each?
Speaker 1: No, there's a list.
Speaker 3: There's a list of a few names that are around.
Speaker 1: Oh lot, Okay, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 3: You know I can, but any child born in twenty twenty three isn't going to have Louise. I could have the list.
Speaker 1: The list was like.
Speaker 3: Carper an Ava, you know, all those sorts of vibes.
Speaker 1: Remember there was a real Cooper phase in like two thousand and seven. Ooh Cooper. Maybe that's all nine. So this article says everyone from the nineteen nineties has the same middle name. Back in the nineteen eighties, Louise was the third most popular middle name for girls born in Australia, behind Anne and Jane. That's a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, classic.
Speaker 1: My mum's her name is Gene. I feel like that. So is that a classic middle name? Gene By the nineteen nineties it had crept up to second spot. It's not like Luise was ever really a popular first name in Australia, So what's going on, Well, it's all about the rhythm. Most popular eighties and nineties girls names had two to three syllables with the accent on the first syllable Jessica, Sarah, Amy, Emma, Catherine, Rachel, Hannah, Georgia, Caitlin to make a pretty sound. In combination, most parents would subconsciously choose a middle name with one syllable and Jane Lee Kate or two syllables with the accent in the second syllable Louise, Marie renee Nicole. That makes total sense.
Speaker 2: But the fact that it was intrinsic it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: I feel like naming a baby might be a little bit like a wedding in that you think yours will be different, but then you ends up being part of the trend. Wow, similar thing. Yeah, where does it come from to have your mum's last name is your middle name, which is what I have? Is it like a Celtic thing? Celtic other people I meet people who have the same thing. I'm like, who started this trend? Because it's kind of random. I guess it's kind of like the hyphenated name, but like they haven't gone the full hog.
Speaker 3: That's what I always assumed.
Speaker 1: That's what you think.
Speaker 3: That's what I assumed.
Speaker 1: Double barrel name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, instead of we get double barrel, we want on a legacy, so we'll check it in the middle.
Speaker 1: We'll just give them a little pass.
Speaker 2: I think we might have come across our longest standing fashion trend. The people might be confused into thinking that it's a classic item and it is not. The item in question is a crop top. I don't get it, and I'm not anti croptop. I got a stomach tattoo, so when I showed my mid ri, if it had a bit more flavor and accessory, babe, I'm more pro crop top. But I don't understand. I would say most demographics in the women's clothing section don't want a croup tom and I could understand. For a couple of seasons there it was like popstar Q, your favorite pop stars wearing a cruptop. You'll want a croptop. L la la la la la. But it became so saturated that to find a full length top was so considered matronly or corporate esthetic or quite luxury or whatever it was, you couldn't just find a full length top that was also trendy. And I'm getting confused because when we look at essays now or opinion pieces, they always say the same thing, that trend cycles are moving so quickly that it's hard to keep up, and that it's resulting in overconsumption, or it's resulting in excess waste because we are not buying intentionally, and then we're getting rid of things even less intentionally beforehand.
Speaker 1: So why do.
Speaker 2: Crrup tops make the cuts every single trend cycle if it's so supposedly racing and moving so quickly. I don't get it. I thought about it a lot too. I don't see why there would be a need to have just a crop top. It would make sense have full length tops for everything. Tuck it in, get it it in.
Speaker 1: Was a real thing. For a while. I used to cut my tops crop tops. Mmm, that was a thing.
Speaker 2: Do you think that the reason why bodysuits had become a thing is because of crop tops? The idea that okay, let's say we like a crop top, huh, we like that it sticks to the body, it's felt, it's whatever. Oh don't want to tuck a shirt in that doesn't feel right, So let's get a bodysuit. We created a whole different category of items that connected a top with the undies. You still wear undies underneath.
Speaker 1: I've such just like it for a bodysuit.
Speaker 2: Your bodysuit.
Speaker 1: Girl, Bodysuits really started to popping off. I reckon twenty ten, like the one Teaspoon bodysuit situation. They were hot, they were hot property. Some glad skins is really popping. I was wearing one today.
Speaker 2: You were, and you took it off because it did what to you redacted? Yeah, it made her Tommy funny.
Speaker 1: Made my toe every time. We're that bloody skims bodysuit so sick in bed that night.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're so tight and I got I got one that was big for my size and still it's too tight. It's flex and froomes on catera. But it is just me and Mickey Arnie because it is that time of day again, all that time of year. We are here thanks to mcafe. We're having a little catch up and we wanted to spell a little bit of coffee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, iced coffee, because catching up is always done well, I would say over a coffee. Most cash ups involve coffees in my life.
Speaker 1: Babes, and don't make me tell everyone twice macus has McCafe rather has almond milk from Milk Club.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And as a soy drinker, I do enjoy the soy options.
Speaker 1: True. What I wanted to talk about today is talk about what we wanted to be when we were kids, because I think this has a lot about someone. They say that your personality was built by the time you were seven. I cannot confirm nor deny this, as I have not researched it. I just like the way that it sounds. Micky, you want me to tell you what I was, Yeah, I want to know drop it. I'll tell you mine first because I don't think it will surprise you. Yeah. So when I was a kid, I initially wanted to be a waitress. I remember being at a Chinese restaurant in Barnsdale with my cousins. They lived in the country and we go there like once every two months and hang out. It was the best sum of my life. That was the time when the merciless cow animal the cow like chase me through a paddic and I thought I was going to die. And then I run all the way home through Boundsdale down the dirt track and lose yourself by Eminem. My cousin had just like bought the CD, so that was playing in my head, and that was when I knew life was never the same again anyway. So I wanted to be a waitress. And then I shifted priorities and I decided I wanted to be a red carpet reporter, and so I have this. We had this assignment in school where you had to get a picture of a magazine and draw the other side, like cut it in half and draw the other side, and I obviously did one of a woman on the red carpet. I also wanted a radio show, and wow, I also had a newsletter, so you could say that dreams have been kicked off. That's crazy. What did you want to be, doll?
Speaker 3: Well, obviously, like the early days, want to be a trible threat dance, I singer, actors like you know. But then I think I started to realize I was better at dancing than I was acting, and I was better at dancing than I was singing, and then I just realized people were better at dancing than I was. And then I think in year six and look, I think this is like a theme for the my life as an adult. I don't like committing things or putting things out there in fear of not getting them. So in year six we had to write a business card and with what we wanted to be on it, and I'm I don't know. I think the old person in me just said, I just want.
Speaker 1: To be happy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My teacher got so mad at me. He was like, you have to pick a career. Oh, And I was like, no, I just want to be happy, sir, Like that's all I want, Like whatever I choose to do, I just want to be happy. And he was not happy with that.
Speaker 1: Thinking you need he needs to read some philosophy me as a ten year old reading soccer team Blue Turn. Anyways, thank youm cafe, expertly crafted Bruce Maid, your choice of cool ice coffee just the way you like it. However you take yours to drive through for your favorite at McCafe. You know you're listening to Flex and Rooms on Kita.
Speaker 2: We have to discuss the cups on Love is Blind, I don't really watch a lot of reality TV. I only make exceptions for Love Island. I think it's the most interesting one, only because it closely reflects real dating. The other terms and conditions around I don't know, maths, The Bachelor, whatever, just seems so contrived that I don't know how love is meant to blossom when you're one girl dating twenty four guys, or one guy dating twenty four girls or whatever it might be, or like in a pod and you can't see the other person. As soon as you exit, you have to marry them. Is it necessary? I don't know, But if you watch Love is Blind, then you're definitely aware of the drinking vessels that they use. They drink out of these gold, opaque chalices. It's strange. It's not even aesthetically aligned with the show in any capacity. I understand, you know, using opaque cups for a bit of color, a bit of flavor, like a branding moment. Maybe you don't want to show that you're drinking champagne or beer because there are miners watching the show. I don't know.
Speaker 1: But turns out as.
Speaker 2: Soon as you google something, the FBI agent in your phone will make sure that a TikTok pops up and explains to you exactly why it's happening. So it's not about whether or not the contestants are drinking alcohol. It's not about making sure that it's not about making sure that there are no logos on the drinking vessels. It's not even about aesthetics. It's so when editors are splicing up a bunch of content from the same occasion, you can't tell whether it's two drinks in, ten drinks in, when someone who's really drunk, or if they're sober, if the interaction happened at one pm or six pm at the same event. Truly is so the editors can frankenstein us a great show that maybe might not be entirely true, and I stand by it. Reality TV show editing is an art form and they should be validated as such.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite time of the week. It's Mickey's Music Quiz, where Mickey brings a selection of songs for Flexing Night to battle out until the death. One day, I'm sure that we will be tipped over there je at each other to try and guess what the song is. What's the price this week? Mickey?
Speaker 3: No price, but the topic is two thousand club songs. Yeah, so I'm thinking the quiz was getting like a bit easy. So I've pitch shifted all the songs to chipmunks and I'm playing it for longer hour.
Speaker 1: So this is why you didn't want to for overtime. Damn overtime.
Speaker 3: I was like, they're getting too good at this. Like I was like, let's let's trip them up.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Number one.
Speaker 4: Me me Rihanna, No really, Rowland Glen Love takes over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, point to Flex. That's way.
Speaker 2: That's my favorite songs.
Speaker 1: Rihanna, Miss Serious, miss Girl. Okay. Number two maybe sexy Back justin Timber like play the rest of the song, please look you Okay?
Speaker 3: Number three me.
Speaker 1: Lady Gaga, justin.
Speaker 2: Lady Gaga, poker face?
Speaker 1: Am I getting like points redacted by?
Speaker 3: We can start that if you want.
Speaker 2: Number four, Kylie Minogue, can't get you out of my head. Oh, at least think a little bit.
Speaker 3: What do you think Flex has beaten you for the third week in a row.
Speaker 1: Hey, there's still more to go.
Speaker 3: Okay, well it's out of five.
Speaker 1: She's only got three, so well, she obviously has an advantage. She's a DJ. I'm just your typical Spotify ninety nine twelve.
Speaker 3: Week you Not Not You with your playlist with thousands of likes.
Speaker 1: Okay, the last song man, gentlemen, Missy Elliott past the Dutch.
Speaker 3: Noyeah on a man and what's the name of the song? Nic?
Speaker 2: No, it does matter. I've already won.
Speaker 1: One two step Okay, thank you for thank you. I swear it sounds like it sounded like a Missy Elliott song She's Oh Okay.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, tune Inticater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.