Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to the Property Playbook.
Speaker 4: Oh no, we're She's on the Money that just launched this week wrong, the podcast Millennials who Want Financial Freedom.
Speaker 2: Today, my friends, is.
Speaker 4: Friday, which means it is time to get the team together and celebrate you and the launch of the Property Playbook, because we are just so excited in this office about how excited you guys are about this. So today we're going to be sharing our favorite money tips and tricks.
Speaker 2: We're going to be helping to.
Speaker 4: Answer a juicy money dilemma which this week is all about credit card, travel, insurance, and we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about which this week is all about financial priorities in relationships, which I think will be a good one.
Speaker 2: Guys, Beck, how's your week been?
Speaker 5: Week has been absolutely superb.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a very passionate answer. I just you know.
Speaker 5: I had a great weekend which led into a fantastic week. Just chilling, just grilling, just seeing mates and feeling.
Speaker 2: Good, chilling like a villain.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm going back to the y, which I'm very happy about. I hate the gym, Honestly, I don't hate it anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh, I changed my mind. So I'd love to be fitter. Yeah, those endorphins. You got to focus on the endorphins. I do chocolate and watching movies and talking to my That's a really good way to do it.
Speaker 5: But if you stop focusing on cardio, I mean, I'm not this is not a financial podcast, I'm sorry. A fitness podcast is a financialcast. If you stop focusing on cardio because cardio is objectively awful, and just do muscle training, oh my god, my world has opened up.
Speaker 4: You can just lift heavy stuff. Yeah, that's that's empowering too.
Speaker 6: I like to think of the gym as my personal runway. That's how I make it fun every day.
Speaker 2: Cute.
Speaker 4: I love that I won't be doing that though neither of you have succeeded in convincing me that I want to go back to the gym.
Speaker 2: Miss Jessic Greech. How's your week being?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, I've had the best week ever. The Property Playbook, if you didn't know, already launched, which was exciting and overwhelming because I got to be the host this season.
Speaker 5: Yay.
Speaker 4: It kind of makes sense because like you're a budding first home buyer. They feel like you have a million questions, and also you're kind of the voice of the community in a way because exactly.
Speaker 6: I'm right there in the trenches with you, guys, and everyone has been so lovely. I was really really nervous because I've never.
Speaker 2: You did so well.
Speaker 6: I've never been the main host, do you mean, like normally I'm just here.
Speaker 2: You're the main character now, guys.
Speaker 6: Main character energy. But I was really excited but also very stressed. And everyone has been so kind and so lovely. But I'm worried because in the episodes. We obviously always go, oh, please leave us a review. But the problem I didn't think about is there's a delay on the reviews.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, I know that they're.
Speaker 6: Coming seen them, yeah, because we asked for them. So I hope that people like them and they left nice reviews. But there's a part of my anxious self that's like, they hate you, They're awful. They're going to be like, kick her.
Speaker 2: Off the show.
Speaker 5: One person is going to say that, because honestly, you shouldn't be reading the reviews to begin with, Miss Jessica Ricci.
Speaker 2: How many times have we talked about this?
Speaker 5: How many times have I been like, don't read the reviews because some people are really nice, which is so beautiful to see.
Speaker 2: But then there's that one percent some people are mean? Yeah, Like why are people on the internet so mean? Like why it makes no sense?
Speaker 4: Like who goes and reviews someone's podcast and says and they do this right, So like maybe I'm just taking the Mickey Victoria's voice is so annoying, don't.
Speaker 2: Listen to my podcasts? Then yeah, don't listen.
Speaker 4: It's a choice to be here, and like, maybe give us some you know, constructive feedback, be like, oh, hey, this happens on the podcast, and our listening experience would be better if you x ys great, that's stunning. We love that I can't change my voice. Babe, can show me things I can change. Yeah, constructive feedback is welcome. Kind feedback even more welcome. So hopefully this time next week will have some nice reviews. But until it's nice, I'll be a little stressy.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 4: It's somebody who actually wants to get on and say mean things about other people and be like, oh, they're stinky.
Speaker 5: Like someone did say Beck is boring, has no vibe and I cried for five days.
Speaker 2: Wait did you read the reviews?
Speaker 5: Shouldn't have But so, basically, but it's your fault you have no personality.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's not my fault. I have no personality. Do not have noticed?
Speaker 6: People are much more inclined to leave and it's not just podcasting, it's website reviews, it's anything. People are much more inclined to leave feedback when it's negative and much less inclined to leave feedback when it's positive. True, which I think is really interesting.
Speaker 4: It's more emotion attached to negative energy than there is positive energy, which kind of sucks, but it's also the way that it's interpreted. Right, Like you said the negative things about you, Beck, you also said the same things. Do you know how many beautiful reviews we've had about you? Like people love you. We've had beautiful podcast reviews. I've had people messaging me on Instagram. I've had emails being like, Beck was great, thank.
Speaker 2: You so much.
Speaker 5: I love you, know that because I've shown you that. But all you're caring about is the negative reviews. True, No, I do love us sometimes I see little comments, but anyway, it's not about me. It's about Discovia Chi and the Property playbook, and there will be no negative feedback if there is, and don't worry about those people.
Speaker 2: I can't even delete it, so you guys don't see it.
Speaker 5: Like I want to be like in protective mode and be like, Noah, don't just remove that before she sees it.
Speaker 2: But you can't remove them, so then you bloody idiot go and read it, and then you're like, feel really.
Speaker 4: Damn because some idiot on the internet told me I was stinky, Like.
Speaker 6: Well, we're manifesting positive vibes, and we are. If you haven't listened to the Property Playbook. We are so excited that we are back with the new season, and this season we have Property Diaries as a five new episodes. We're talking to people about how they got into their property. I'm asking the juicy questions, how much did they earn? Did they get any help from their parents? Like we are getting the facts and only the facts perfect so that you don't feel bad and.
Speaker 2: You can learn.
Speaker 6: Everyone has a different journey.
Speaker 4: And we've basically with a Property Playbook, wiped this like clean, because twenty twenty three buying a property is very different to twenty twenty one buying a property. So we just wanted to make sure that you had every single piece of education at your disposal, but like really relevant education because since we recorded the twenty twenty one edition of the Property Playbook, like the first Time Super Savior scheme, it's gone from thirty thousand dollars up to fifty thousand dollars. And if you go listen to those old episodes, they're outdated. You might learn something and it's not inaccurate for the time it was published. But like, I don't want you guys to be in a position where you have outdated information, So basically just been like, all right, if you were starting today, fantastic. So if you've already listened to that season, that's fantastic. All of this content is new and fresh. But if you've never joined us on the Property Playbook, it's basically like starting from the start anyway. All right, we need to get into the actual podcast because all we're doing is talking about a different podcast and that actually makes no sense. But miss Jessic Gotchi, it is time for our community money wins and confessions.
Speaker 2: What have you got for us this week?
Speaker 6: Well, I'll start off with one that's on theme, a property money win.
Speaker 2: From Sary self indulgent, isn't it? She said? Money Win.
Speaker 6: I talked to our broker and figured out that I don't need to be in full time employment to purchase a house in September, Which how good is that? Still stay home with my child a few days a week.
Speaker 2: Oh how good?
Speaker 6: Power of talking to a broker, It really can change.
Speaker 4: We talk about it all the time. If you guys want to talk to a broker who basically is us, just go and talk to the Zella Money team, because I feel like so many people are apprehensive They're.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm not ready. Go talk to them.
Speaker 6: If you're not ready, Yeah, they'll tell you when to come back. Now, help you figure out your timeline. It's chef's kiss would.
Speaker 2: Recommend turn out of ten? What's the next one? Next?
Speaker 6: Money win comes from Marley who said money win. I used my Macca's rewards points to treat myself to a free mcflurry.
Speaker 2: Turn out of ten.
Speaker 5: In this economy, that is goodwin. Mcflurriy's are getting expensive tool. I know, a pity saved as a penny. They say, McDonald's.
Speaker 4: We need to talk as well, because they don't even mix the mcflurries anymore.
Speaker 2: Where's the flurry? Just a just a Sunday on top?
Speaker 5: Hungry Jacks?
Speaker 2: I think boycott boycott.
Speaker 6: Moving right along before we start a ride in the office. Were Charlottes don't even need it? Charlotte said money win. We got our electricity bill last week and it was only eighty two dollars for the quarter. As we got our solar panels installed and turned on. And that's the three adults in a house.
Speaker 2: How good is that?
Speaker 4: Also, hot solar panel tip that I got from Glenn James from my millennial money because I watched his stories over the weekend. Last weekend, It's coming into winter, so obviously there's less sun in winter.
Speaker 2: Clean your solar panels so.
Speaker 4: They absorb more energy, because if there's like dirt and stuff on top of them, they don't like absorb as much energy as they could. So get up there with some dishwashing liquid, give it a scrub, and your energy bill is going to thank you. Brilliant's great welcome. I'm not going to get on the roof. If I had solar panels, I wouldn't do that. But it's a good tip, a very good tip. My next one comes from Lucy who said I got an Apple tag for free thanks to my Medibank rewards points. I've now got one very happy tracked cat.
Speaker 2: Oh how good.
Speaker 4: I've got trackers on my cats too, turn out of ten. I just snoop on them during the day.
Speaker 6: I would never have thought that you would get something like that on your medibank points, so they go. If you've got a point system, it pays to check if they've added fun you think.
Speaker 4: Like the AI a vitality program like you get so many good discounts and benefits from that. If you like track in the app and it's actually really worth it.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 6: Last money when I have this week is from Jess, who says, money win. I adopted a fabulous furry friend for zero dollars in adoption fee. It frees up the budget allocated for a new puppy and Mark's guilt free wardrobe shopping for this cool dude. His name is ry Kent. For any ted LASSU fans, sadler, is there a picture, There is a picture. He's very cute. Look at him, baby, Look greyhound. I'm not gonna be I think he might. Can I say for anybody who is looking for a money win in Melbourne?
Speaker 2: My gosh, he is a greyhound. She went, that's it. That's the greyhound adoption Day.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, if you follow us on Instagram, you'd be up with the adoption thing because our beautiful team member Gabby fostered a greyhound named Laichi.
Speaker 2: And he was actually the best dog.
Speaker 6: He was a really sweet little honey pie and he was obviously up for adoption. He'd been up for adoption for a really long time, needed a bit of fostering, and he got adopted this week, which was awesome. But the event that he was adopted from was run by Gap Greyhound Adoption Program and they were doing the same thing. So they were giving away dogs so they could have beautiful new homes and they have lots left so if anybody.
Speaker 2: Nears and not of them got adopted.
Speaker 4: Gabby has a greyhound she wanted to so she wanted to keep Laichi, but we were talking about this in this economy, she can't adopt Laichi. But also she's in a rental. She was like, it's already hard enough with one dog, Like two dogs is just going to be too much. So she fosters. But oh my gosh, they're the best dogs. Honestly. I asked Steve if we could add one to the family and he was like, Victoria, you already have two cats and one dog. Stop asking for more pures. So I'm working on it, but please do it on my behalf.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Absolutely, And it's a great tip from Jesse. Your local shelters are a fantastic place to find yourself a little fairy companion for an incredibly low price or often even free, and you're doing some good by giving a little unwilling you home.
Speaker 2: I love that that's so wholesome. That's very wholesome.
Speaker 4: That's a good place to leave it, dreess, Let's go to a really quick break. I'm going to go go pictures of dogs, and then on the flip side, we're going to be discussing credit card, travel insurance, and how to manage financial priorities in relationships. So don't go anywhere, guys.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everybody.
Speaker 6: Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money.
Speaker 2: Career and life questions.
Speaker 4: To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, She's on the Money. Love your podcast. I'm just getting in touch because I'm about to take nine months career break and travel have a fabulous time, and I have been weighing up the benefits of instead of getting travel insurance policy, getting a credit card with included travel insurance that has a high points bonus, so that I can leverage the points for some of the travel, and the cost of the credit card would kind of be balanced out against the cost of an insurance policy that I'm not getting. I'd love to hear thoughts on pros cons considerations, whether you think I'm being a massive idiot.
Speaker 2: Thank you, this is your favorite subject.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I don't think anyone's ever a massive idiot. Arguably, you want of the most intelligent people in the community because you know to ask the pros which is just in beck.
Speaker 2: So let's take it away. Yes, you go back. I think that you are doing a good job. She's on the right track.
Speaker 6: I feel like she has consciously thought about the cost benefit analysis. Yeah, she's gone, Okay, my credit card has a fee on it. I can potentially offset that fee by saving own insurance policy that I have to get.
Speaker 2: Savvy Queens. Savvy queen.
Speaker 6: The only thing that I'm not super across as someone who hasn't had a credit card for a very long time, is how comprehensive do you think travel insurance that's included in a credit card is? And VD I feel like you're going to be the person who knows the most here.
Speaker 4: Mmmm yeah, a bit negative on this topic asking thanks for USKI. I think it's really smart, right, Like I would prefer you to have free travel insurance through your credit card then no travel insurance at all. Right, So, like anything is better than nothing, and credit card travel insurance is basically an insurance policy that you get which is included with the premiums of your credit card. It's a very big misconception that every single credit card will come with a travel insurance policy. So make sure you're not just assuming you're actually looking into it. And also I think we need to really tap into the fact that if that's why you're getting a credit card, I mean the points thing aside, you do you work out what works for you, because that can be quite lucrative for some people, but a credit card in the wrong hands can actually be really detrimental. And while this travel insurance might be marketed as free or like complementary, these policies are typically paid through you around your fees anyway. So if you're only signing up for the travel insurance and there's a credit card with no fees on it that gives you access to points, maybe that might be better, and having a standalone policy that you've gone and got for that particular trip. So there's a few things that I would look at when looking at complementary travel insurance. The first thing is a lot of them will exclude a lot of things because it's complementary, right. You just think of it as like the base level one size fits all. Yeah, exactly, it's one size fits all. So like if you're going to New Zealand, for example, might not include snow sports or something that you want to be covered for, so we need to look into that. It might not include you driving a vehicle, so it might mean that just yep, you're fine to go. But also if you drive it's nil and voyage it might not cover up to the amount of cover that you want to have. Your luggage is worth ten thousand dollars and maybe they only cover up to two thousand dollars for luggage if in that circumstance that your luggage gets lost, that's actually a very big difference, right, And these things add up, right, Like if I said, oh, Beck, your your bag could be worth ten grand, You'll be like, no v, it's not.
Speaker 2: I promise you. All of those things add up, from the expensive jumpers you might own, to your iPhone.
Speaker 4: To chargers, like all these things really add up. And if you're anything like Mistress Gricci, you don't go anywhere without your dice and air wrap.
Speaker 2: Now that's easy eight hundred bucks these days.
Speaker 6: And you don't travel light either, So no, even if you're clothed, you know, average you have forty to fifty dollars. If you've got ten of those, that's already.
Speaker 2: Five hundred bucks. It's not even how much they cost you to buy.
Speaker 4: Because you might go and get a good T shirt, really great quality, you've saved up for it, but then you found it on sale. If you have to replace that here now because you have no clothes anymore, like, that's going to usually be a higher premium.
Speaker 2: Don't get me started on.
Speaker 4: The people like me who are very invested in their skincare and makeup routines. I don't want to think about how much my makeup bag costs me Like that makes me a little bit sick.
Speaker 2: But there's a few things that.
Speaker 4: We need to take into consideration, right, So if you went and got a standalone policy, more often than not, they might be underwritten by an underwriter, and most credit card policies, like they're underwritten by the same companies that you would go and get a policy from, but they're more of a group policy and they have less bells and whistles. You could say, you might not, as we said before, be covered for any of the activities you want to do. So as I said, skiing or driving or you know, going on a scooter in Bali, Like there are so many things it might actually cost you more than a standalone policy. So like your annual credit card fees, let's say it's four hundred bucks and you're going on a trip to Bali for ten days, your insurance at a good quality insurance is very likely to be less than four hundred dollars. And if you're only going on one holiday a year, but you're paying for the credit card to get the travel insurance, that's actually a money loss because the intention actually cost you more money than actually you know, working it all out. But then there are also exclusions of different countries, so you might look at your policy and go, I really want to go to the US not included. So it just pays to do your research. Am I saying it's the worst, absolutely not. It might work really well for you, but from my perspective, I'm the type of person who likes super comprehensive travel insurance. We did that episode recently on the Cost of Care with my friend Rhann and Tracy, who became a quadriplegic after diving into a pool in Bali, Stone Cold. Sobash was just having a nice holiday with her mum and it ended up costing hundreds of thousands of dollars just to get her home. Obviously, there's a whole heap of lifetime costs that I'm not going to go into, but if she had the wrong insurance policy, that could have cost her family hundreds of thousands of dollars. As I've said before, I do not believe in going on a holiday without travel insurance. And if you say you can't afford it, from my perspective, you cannot afford to go on holiday, end of story. Like I just think, if you're not going to get it back, then you shouldn't be going on that holiday. It's me as somebody in the position where I have seen this happen far too many times because I used to live in the insurance world. It breaks my heart and it's just for me a non negotiable. So I just think we need to make sure that you have a look at the cost benefits and work out what that means. And the best way you can do that is go, Okay, cool, I'm going to go work out what a standalone policy would actually include and make sure that I'm ticking all the boxes that are important to me with my credit card insurance. But from my perspective as someone who has historically had a credit card, I've actually gone and gotten standalone travel insurance in addition because it just wasn't enough.
Speaker 6: And if you want more information about the things you should think about, we did a whole episode last year called Talking Travel Insurance where we got really in depth about the things you want to think about, the little bits and pieces that I feel like the everyday person like us wouldn't consider if we hadn't spoken to someone about it.
Speaker 4: Alex, I want to make sure you're in the best possible position. It's not a silly question at all. You just don't know until you get told. So I think, from my perspective, go and have a look, because, to be honest, to some credit cards you come with a very very good travel insurance. But you'd have to review the policy and make sure that that works for you, because every single person is different.
Speaker 2: Very well said, thank you.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm on a rant today, Like you know those rant vibes that I end up getting Jess.
Speaker 2: Like, I just go, oh my god. All right, so you want to talk about credit card travel insurance?
Speaker 5: Sit down?
Speaker 6: Well, I feel like this week's community question is really just going to light a fire under that.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm so sorry, Please still love me. It's not my fault that I just go rogue. I get excited because I just want you guys to be in the best possible position, and I really really do promise.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, tell us what did this week's community member have to say?
Speaker 4: Hey, girls, love the pod and would appreciate a hand. I've been with my boyfriend for three years now. We don't live together, but it's in discussions. I have one major thing that's stopping me. His lack of financial literacy and desire to get a full time job scares me. I'm really set and have big goals and plans that I would love to involve him in. However, here he works around three shifts a week at a gym. He doesn't seem to care about finding full time work, and whenever I try and tell him, wouldn't the extra cash be good, he just doesn't seem to care. There's three question marks after that. I also feel like he doesn't have any motivation to earn or save money to be able to go on holidays together, which upsets me sometimes as it's something I would love to do. He got a bit of inheritance that I feel like he really relies on, but I'm worried he will blink and it'll all be gone. I'm struggling to see a future with us. So when we have such different money, golts and values, do you have any advice?
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm going to be a black sheep here because I can see everyone's face and I know that I'm going to have a different opinion.
Speaker 6: I think you're going to be on your team, to be honest, do you think so?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm just going to say that for a large portion of my life, probably even still to this day, my focus is living and I was trying to get to a point in my life where I would be making enough to just exist, and then I would be doing everything that I love outside of work, seeing friends laying in the grass, lang in the sun.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 5: You know what if you guys follow back on Insta, you know she actually genuinely does that a lot friends to lay in the grass. That's all I do, and that's like, that's my priority. And some people's priority is like, you know, working, getting a full time job and saving money and reaching all these financial goals. I totally get that, and I actually really respect that.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: I think you maybe either have that passion that drive or or you don't, but you can you can gain that, of course, But I think that some people have different priorities in life, and you can be so excited to just live outside of work.
Speaker 4: I agree, you know, I agree. I think you're going to be really surprised. I think Jess and I are on the same page about this as well. Jess, do you want to give your opinion and then I'll give mine?
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I think I can say I produce analysa IVI other side of the table being like, no red flag. I agree with you, but it's different priorities. I think the thing here is that you have to go okay, like is the difference in priority is an issue for me because I think as someone who definitely falls into the more driven category. You know, if you feel like somebody is compromising those goals, is that going to put a strain on your relationship? And I guess you have to weigh up how much you love this person, how much they fill your cup in other ways, because obviously there is much more that someone can contribute to a relationship than just finances. So I think what you have to do is kind of go, Okay, I'm allowed to be upset or I'm allowed to be uncomfortable with the fact that we have such different viewpoints on something as significant as money, and you have to decide is that going to be a deal breakup? Because the way that I kind of look at relationships is, in an ideal world, if you're in a monogamous relationship, you guys are going to be together and you're going to be each other's rock for the next sixty to ninety years of your life. Like we're shooting for one hundred years. Yeah, Like you're going to be able to see for a long long time. And I think if there are things that feel big now, they're probably going to continue to feel big for the duration of your relationship, and do you want to be sitting on something like that for another sixty years? How is that going to make you feel? Because it has the potential to undermine that relationship. Yes, your partner could change, Yes you could change. You know, nobody's entirely inflexible. But if, as you said, it does come down to I like X and you like why and neither of us want to change, then is that going to be a problem long term?
Speaker 4: I genuinely couldn't agree more. I think our producer has thrown this one in here because she thought it did start a fight between us, and maybe we'll get to a fight in our dms, like when we get people's responses. But from my perspective, money doesn't have to be the biggest thing in a relationship. To me, it's important to have a level of financial literacy. If your partner is, you know, wasting money and getting you in debt, like, that's a different story than him not having money as a main priority, right. And I think if we changed this narrative, like, pretend it's my husband writing this letter and it's him being so upset that I don't engage with him on his favorite hobby, golf.
Speaker 2: Like Victoria.
Speaker 4: I've been with her for eight years and ome gosh, we live together and she just still.
Speaker 5: Doesn't come to golf with me. She won't engage with golf with me. She doesn't care when I go to golf. She stays at home, sleeps in Like I think that's lazy, you know what I mean? If we reframe that, he's just got different values than me, and that's okay. I am wildly passionate about financial literacy, and I'm assuming that because you listen to our content, you are too.
Speaker 2: That's so beautiful.
Speaker 4: Have an open, honest conversation with your partner because it could go back to what you're talking about. Beck just doesn't want to work his life away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a lot of people.
Speaker 4: In that circumstance where they don't want to do the nine to five Monday to Friday grind.
Speaker 2: And do you know what that should actually be?
Speaker 4: Okay, it's not an expectation, like where did that even come from?
Speaker 2: Why is that how we are expected to live our lives.
Speaker 4: I think obviously having a level of financial litch receives something that everybody deserves.
Speaker 2: Whether you want to know, do.
Speaker 4: Heaps of saving goals and pop up your saving chart on the fridge, and you know, work towards holidays, Like have you actually talked to your partner about what holidays mean? Because Beck, let's just like, look at you and Jess, Jess obsessed with travel, Like I think she would use her last dollar to go on a holiday, Like genuinely, travel is, from my perspective, something that she really really values.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think you care that much.
Speaker 4: I think you just want freedom to go and get a bagel in the morning. And if I said is it in Italy, you'd be like, oh, I mean, that'd be all right.
Speaker 5: But have you seen the place down the street, place on Sydney Road in BRUNSWI got that's where I want to be.
Speaker 2: But do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: We've all got different values and he might just not have the same values as you. And you're right, Jess, maybe we need to have a conversation about what that looks like. And if you are really passionate and wild about travel, is that partner the right partner for you?
Speaker 2: I guess is the question.
Speaker 4: I don't think someone should have to change significantly to be in a relationship Obviously being on the same page when it comes to money is really important. But I also don't think that your partner should compromise his lifestyle to commit to a lifestyle that you want, because that's then compromising his wants and his needs and his values. And you don't think that we should do that too much in a relationship. Like, at the end of the day, relationships are all about compromise. We need to come to some agreement, and not everybody is always going to get one hundred percent what they want because that's not how life works. But if his value set is so different to yours, maybe we talk about whether that relationship is sustainable in the long term, or we talk about other ways in which you could feel fulfilled. Can you go on holidays with your girlfriends? Is that something where maybe instead of going with your partner, you go, well, I really do want to go to Italy, Honey, how about I go ask Jess if she wants.
Speaker 2: To come with me?
Speaker 4: And Jess and I are going to go July next year. He might go, yeah, right, have fun, do you know what I mean? Like, we all have different value sets, and I think that that's actually okay. Absolutely I do agree that's why you thought the conversation we'll go, But I did not.
Speaker 5: I really thought you guys would be on the opposite end of that. So I'm I'm kind of stoked you're kind of stoked. Yeah, I'm kind of stoked with this.
Speaker 4: I'm a bit disappointed that you thought that we would be like ye. But we did ask the community a few things. So we said, have you experienced something like this with your significant other? Thirty eight percent of you said yes, sixty two percent said no. We then said, if yes, do you find it puts a strain on your relationship? So this is just the people saying like, yeah, we have you know, experienced something like this with my partner. Ninety three percent of people said yeah, it does put a strain on a relationship. Only seven percent of you said no. I'd love to talk to the seven percent where they're like, I've experienced that in my relationship, but also doesn't put strain on my relationship. M how please share with us. I feel like we've got a lot to learn from you. We then said, have you ever been in a relationship that ended due to difference in financial goals or values? Forty five percent of you said yes, that's a lot right to me. That's a really big segment of the community that has been in a relationship that's ended because you couldn't get on the same page when it comes to money. And that's important though, that's really important.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's it's hard because you go, well, where do you weigh it up? And everyone's going to land differently. Some people might be like, you know what, I can let it go, and I can I'm happy to compromise, and for other people they're like, no, like my way or the highway, and both of those are totally fine. But it's just fitting that into the relationship that you have and figuring out what that I suppose means for you and your partner.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We also then ask the community, well, give us your two cents and here are some of those comments. So someone said, have a good chat mental health problems, maybe any willing lists to change.
Speaker 2: If not wild to think or that is fit me.
Speaker 4: Yep. Someone else said this onn will get chat. Do not move in with this man. He is a child who will drain your time, energy and resources.
Speaker 2: Oh my days. If you're going to talk to.
Speaker 4: Me about a man child, hear me out I feel like, to me, the definition of a man child is someone who doesn't clean up after themselves and expects you to act like their mother and do their laundry and do all of that stuff. What if he just doesn't want to go to work and do a nine to five monthed Friday job because he happens to have hobbies that he's passionate about and would like to engage in those instead, and has found a way in his part time work to make enough money that he can make that choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that not sick? That is pretty sick.
Speaker 4: That's not a man child to me, No, like a man child will be my partner doesn't do anything he calls me mum, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think as well. We don't have enough information yet, So I feel like the other thing is does he you know, can he within his budget as you you know, you've just said, maybe he has enough to like afford what he wants to do. Can he afford to for you guys to go out to dinner together and to split the bill? Can he afford to go one date night? If you're there are things I guess in a relationship that all of time do sometimes cost money. And if he's covering his living expenses, that's awesome. But if he can't cover I guess those additional things again, is that going to be an issue?
Speaker 4: Someone else said, sometimes people are really good for you, but for a season they aren't on the same journey as you. Long term, that's much nicer, that's much nice. Such so to put it, someone said, different financial goals and values reflect a difference in overall values, especially if there's not going to be any compromise.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's good.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, leave him. Your values do not align. People seem like they're very firmly aggressive. Yeah, one way or the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 5: I think that the values thing, the last one you read out is very black and white. Yeah, you're values in align. You guys can break up if you want to. But leaving this guy because he's maybe you know, not got the same financial goals, I don't know that seem to be mean.
Speaker 4: I also just I feel like there's this unnecessary pressure or expectation that everybody should be career motivated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody should want to be the best of the best and earn the most.
Speaker 4: And I just I don't agree like, I think there's something really sexy, genuinely about someone who's just like, nah, live in my life. Like I envy the way that you go love my life, love this, got enough money to do that, Gonna go lay in the grass and have a sick time like that.
Speaker 2: Is that is to me? Goals like that is so cool.
Speaker 4: And I don't think we give enough respect to people who just know themselves so well.
Speaker 2: They're like, I don't want to do that. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: I think if you're not leaching off of someone else, if you're just like living your own life, you're never borrowing money, you're never needing from anyone else, You're just living your own life. Do that however you want to do that. You know, whether that's working one day or five days or seven.
Speaker 4: Days, you can still have the life that you want with a partner that might not be on the same journey if that's the compromise that you want to make. And as I said before, you could travel without them. You could you know, save up for things without them, Like you don't need a man like you. A man is not a financial plan. We've talked about this before, Like you can do whatever you want. I'm not going to read out a lot of the other comments because, to be honest, I felt like they were quite judgmental this week. And I'm all about sharing honest, open opinions, but I just feel like calling someone a man child consistently and saying leave him and being like, no, he's a dead beat man, rah rah. Like I just I think that's a level of judgment that we need to really reflect on, because at no point in that listener question did they say that they weren't contributing to the household and you know, paying their way. At no point did they say that they're putting additional financial pressure on the partner that had different financial goals. Like, from my perspective, it's kind of cool to be in a different situation than somebody else, and like, I happen to be in a relationship where my partner and I are both really career focused, Like we are both exactly on the same page. One of my best friends, her entire life goal was to get to the point where she was married and could have a baby and become a state home mum. That was her job, that was exactly, that was her goals, that was her career.
Speaker 2: She's done it. I'm so stoked for her.
Speaker 4: I have another friend who works part time and basically she's like Beck, like just once to vibe.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: She's one of my favorite humans in the entire world because she just knows herself so well. Those are the people I want to surround myself with. Like a career call, your job doesn't define you. We've talked about that before, and when it does, you're really boring, Like genuinely, like if I went to parties and talked to people, well, I work, you suck.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, that's a very good point. Also, she didn't mention if he treats so well, the kind.
Speaker 2: Of funniest human in the entire.
Speaker 5: World, what he's like wants to be a stay at home partner.
Speaker 2: What if he's just.
Speaker 5: The nicest human and the most respectful person you've ever met.
Speaker 2: He just vibes. Yeahstly that helps. Are we done here?
Speaker 6: I think we are.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've ranted enough. I told you I was in aroundy mood. I told you I loved every second. Thank you for letting me rant. Beck. We need to take a leaf out of your book. Let's go lay in the grass.
Speaker 4: Let's see you on Monday, My loves have the best weekend ever.
Speaker 2: Bye, ye bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 4: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine