Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we take your stories about being country tough. There's country tough, and then there's only in Australia. Only in Australia can there be a new story like this? This route out in a very nonchalent cashal way at five thirty am, which is what I came into the office to see Karl Stefanovitch barely getting his pulse straight up for this story like it was an and finally, only in Australia.
Speaker 1: A gold coast man is counting his lucky stars this morning after prying himself out of crocodile's jaws in Far North Queensland.
Speaker 3: I mean, that is such a scene and it's not that big a deal. Actually, we haven't got any footage. You know.
Speaker 2: He's probably exaggerating it, to be honest, as anyone got my coffee.
Speaker 4: Marcus says he was out in the clear blue waters, but all of a sudden he felt like he was being attacked by a shark. That's what he thought, but then it instead turned out to be a.
Speaker 3: Croc bloody idiot. Come on mate, now a common mistake. Push up there, that old classic what a fool.
Speaker 4: He says, I was attacked from behind by a saltwater crocodile which got its jaws around my head, It continues, he was able to leave it its jaws open just far enough to get his head out.
Speaker 2: It's amazing that one guy could just have to guts or just to wear with all to do that without thinking.
Speaker 3: This is it.
Speaker 2: This is how it ends inside of crocodile's jaws.
Speaker 4: He then says. The croc tried to have another goal with him, Carl, but he managed to push it away, although it did bite his hands as it swam away.
Speaker 2: I think she sort of said Carl's name again just to try and wake him up, because at the beginning of this.
Speaker 3: He's got old slow crocodile eyes himself.
Speaker 1: A gold coast man is conning as Lucky Stars this morning after prying himself out of crocodile's jaws in far North Queensland.
Speaker 3: Come on, sleep God, that is when you're just reading the telepop.
Speaker 2: All right, So we're looking for your stories when you had to save yourself nine four one one four three Amanda, Good morning, Good morning, Amanda. Okay, so what's your story for us when you had to save yourself.
Speaker 5: Well, a wasn't myself. Was my brother in law back in the eightiens. He was out in the pines cut and wooden and stuff and with the chainsawn and he's, you know, go good gun. And in ale of all of this, the chainsaw decides to kick back. Someone comes off, flicks up, hits him in the jaw, so on the front of the chin, down underneath the jaw, and down into the chest above the callboat. And he's realized, oh, that's done a bits, and he stopped and he's free his hand up and he goes, oh, what's a bit wet. And then he's realized, oh, chang's come off. What's a bit more than wet? And take his jump off that to theron his throat goes back over the years, look in the mirror. He goes, oh, that's a bit of he's.
Speaker 2: Not he's not the same guy who then, you know, years later from the eighties, he certainly got his head in the crocodile's mouth.
Speaker 3: Relaxed with someone who's severed his neck and collar bone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he's pretty coolers with one of these young or you know, I've got something stuck in sol he's also had a nail through the side of his mouth into his into his tongue. And I've left that two days to go to the doctor.
Speaker 2: For two days before around the office looking like that.
Speaker 3: You're scaring the clients.
Speaker 5: Who change. He's looking to be he's got the jumper stuck against his troping.
Speaker 3: And what I do and it makes a quick torner, came around his own neck.
Speaker 5: Jumped in het miles miles back in the town, get yourself looked at sign up and he's like, oh yeah, I've got a woozy driving and they's nobody wonder you know. I get you fixed up this I go hiding as well. Can't do that where you go? Now go and big out for the point. I'm going to go get the chainsaw and load the wood becking.
Speaker 3: With a stitched up neck like st Yes.
Speaker 5: Yep, he went back out. God he Chames loaded body cut up in the back of you didn't went home and had a.
Speaker 1: Wrist Only in Australia, a gold coast man is county his lucky Stars this morning after prying himself out of crocodile's jaws in far North Queensland.
Speaker 3: All right, Amanda, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: She called The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: When did you have to rescue yourself? This is quite some story from Jason. Good morning, Jason morning boys.
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 2: We're good Jason, So tell us your story when you had to save yourself.
Speaker 6: Oh, I got pants stuck in a hydraulic wood split eye. So what happened was the timber was quite naughty, was redwood or red dumb, and it exploded. And then as I tried to keep the timber in the wood splitter, the bit of timber moved to about a forty five degree angle, and at that stage my hand then got pinned between the backing plate and the and the bit of wood. So it was early in the morning and I was down the paddic by myself. So I had to wait for the boss to come back and take my smoke o order to avert him to the fact that I was stuck in the.
Speaker 3: Machine to what happened next.
Speaker 6: So well, for I'm there, I'd sort of had enough time to calm down because I was in the machine for about half an hour forty minutes. What and what and yeah, I tried. I tried to jump out, like I was using all my might to try and spring like spring forward and push all the way back as hard as I could, and yeah, it wouldn't release.
Speaker 2: So essentially your your fingers are trapped in this wood spacer, aren't they correct?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got a glove on, and at that stage there, I looked down into the glove and I could see something wasn't quite right with my little finger, and I'd convinced myself that it had dislocated. But also I knew that it may have separated from the hand, and that I only had a certain period of time to get it sort of reattached to tell.
Speaker 2: Me what you had incredible mastery over your emotions and fear to actually not just pass out.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I mean there was a bit of fear initially, but the direction that Yeah, the biggest issue I had was that when miss Boss did come down to the padding to take my smoke o order, he had a look and nearly fainted, So I had to keep him on queue, and then he panicked and didn't know how to get me out. And it was like, it's okay, if we undo these hoses here and here, we should be able to push the backing plate back and release my hand. But then I had to send him away because we're down the paddic, and I descend him away to my car and give him my car keys, and I said to him, drive the car down the paddic, and in the boot of the car is all the tools that we will need. I was an apprentice at the time, so I had all my tools on in the car, and yeah, I needed then him to walk away, not faint going up the paddic or panic get him a car. And then he turned around and come back down the paddic and went, but we're not going to get your car out. I was like, that's that's not an issue.
Speaker 4: If I had to choose between my hand and the car, I'll choose the hand.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a Sophie's choice, there isn't it. That's Good's amazing composure.
Speaker 6: Well, I suppose I was young and just didn't really sort of.
Speaker 3: No, No, that's that's real. That's poised under pressure. That's not that that's beyond your years. It's incredible.
Speaker 2: So you're obviously counseling the sort of you know, when they have these people, then the air traffic control and they've got to talk somebody down. An aeroplane is have a floataball. That's you with your arm trapped, calm in, your boss down to go and get the car. You've got the tool, so you tell the faint headed boss what to do. So does he get the right tools and what happens?
Speaker 6: Then, well, yeah, eventually I'm not sure what time it took, but it did take some time.
Speaker 3: One can almost say a little bit too much time.
Speaker 2: I've been now yelling at the boss to get his finger out of his backside and wave your fingers.
Speaker 3: It was smo Christian.
Speaker 6: He didn't even take me order that.
Speaker 3: Shocking, shocking versus scoundrel.
Speaker 6: But yeah, so now eventually, you know, I had to tell him what tools to use, and then you know, lefty Lucy, Rody Sarty and that sort of stuff, to hit the get the hydraulic fittings off, and then to grab a sledgehammer. And then he had a very small area of a backing plate to hit, and then to hit that backing plate. So at that stage he got a little concern and that he was going to hit the hand. But I was like, well, I need to get my hand out, so let's let's hit right how I was pointing where he needed to hit let's hit.
Speaker 3: Here, and did he hit the sweet spot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it took probably half a dozen hits to back it off enough to release the hand. And then I remember that at that point he wanted to take the glove off and have a look to see how bad it was, and I was sort of more like, no, we probably have to go to hospital now. And then he started to panic because he was like he didn't know where the nearest hospital was.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a five year old.
Speaker 6: Baby boss just pannied like everything. And then I remember on the way way through there, the traffic lights at Hallum had just been installed near the club, and it turned red and he stopped, and I remember looking at him and going, what are we doing? Let's like.
Speaker 3: The points.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and if the police pulled me over, or pull us over, that's a blessing. So I think they must have rung the ambulance, but the ambulance was going to be it takes too long to get to the area of the bush we were in, so we elected them to drive. And yeah, and the last thing I remember is being in hospital and taking the glove off and then having I'm not sure how many doctors and nurses there were, but there was quite a few.
Speaker 3: Attending your mate, you know.
Speaker 6: Giving him a copy. After all, he did me smoker. But yeah, and at that point there I snatched my hand back from everybody else that was looking at it, and that was the last thing I remember is seeing my fingers that were pretty much completely flat, and just the shape of the fingernail was like the Sydney Harbor Bridge on flat water. It just sort of popped up and I fainted at that point and woke up in in the hospital bed. And yeah, it started off with they wanted to take three fingers, but fortunately I only lost the tip of the little fingers.
Speaker 2: Tell you what is down to your thinking, isn't it? I reckon you save more fingers. Honestly, it's incredible what you did. So you just lost at the end of that, you just lost the tip of one finger.
Speaker 6: Yeah, tip of the little finger is missing.
Speaker 2: Wow that, Jason, You're going to be this week's cooler of the week. It's quite an incredible story of poise under pressure. I mean all of you actually just hearing it all unfold, and you told it so well as well. But you are one thousand dollars cold of the week. So we're going to give you one thousand dollars for an amazing story. Jason, thanks guys, No, no, no, we love it. Literally just everyone in the studio is just leaning forward hearing your incredible story. So Jason enjoys spending your money, maybe some of it on a smokeo for you. I think you don't work for that guy anymore.
Speaker 6: Dear, no, no, no no, I didn't work for him after that.
Speaker 2: Jason, thank you so much for colling us this morning and sharing that amazing story.
Speaker 3: Good on you, mate, and enjoy spending you one thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: No worry, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Cood of the Week all thanks to Mercedes Benz Barrick in the Financial Year events starts Thursday this Thursday, June. The first get in early to secure the best What a Story.
Speaker 5: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast