Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily podcast, brought to you by.
Speaker 2: Hallo, Yeas and Yet Pets, Flex and Yeat. I love that yeatets Yeat Bix my new favorite breakfast.
Speaker 1: There's something there. Oh God, I love to say it. I haven't had a Wheat Bix since I was a child, and I've been really craving milky things, like I want to get back into crunchy not and wheat bigs, but I just don't think it will agree with me. I can't have chok tops anymore. Why Because I mentioned to you earlier that I'm trying to improve my mind body mind muscle connection, which means listening to my body's feeling after everything. So, as you know, sally best friend, Sally lactose intolerant in denial, as we all kind of are with that kind of thing. But she started taking lack teas. I was like, I don't need that. Mild with it. Went to the cinema, had a chok top, guts bustard spawn. I could not believe it. I didn't even enjoy it that way. Did you go to the toilet? Yeah? It was. It was like dead foot and I was squirming in the sea. And from there I was like, Nah, it's not for me.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say this, but as you're speaking, my gut is making the most crazy noise curdling.
Speaker 1: I gotta go. Let's get to it. Not me just playing on my I'm really going to go flex and I don't have a food that I'm excited to eat at the moment. It's every day I'm getting really bored of the food options. And it's sad because when I'm not in Sydney, I'm so excited. There's so many options. Had this amazing taco when Hobart's still thinking about it, had this amazing Brocolini and Hobart still thinking about it the Brocolni episode. But you know, I will manifest like you said on you, I'm excited for you. Thank you. You read a lot of books, don't you? So many? Well? I read that.
Speaker 2: It is possible to properly lose yourself in a book.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about that? I am that what I think this is. I am so attached to some book characters I'm not even playing really.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: That's why I have to stop talking about Twilight in a serious way, because I was getting upset, upset about what people were just roasting Edward and I was like, okay, well, if you read the books, you would understand where he was coming from and you saw you actually affected you. Yeah, or I would. So I read a lot of books now, but I try not to share what I think about them while i'm reading them, because if somebody has already finished it and it is really critical, it puts me off. Or if I really like a character and I don't know that they turn out to be a dickhead later on, and I was like, if I don't want to hear it, I just want to enjoy. I like that.
Speaker 2: Well, that is actually extremely related to what I'm about to say, and that is that what you're experiencing is called experience taking.
Speaker 1: So when you're reading a book and.
Speaker 2: They're in a scenario, you can often put yourself into their shoes and you feel like you are them, and it's really interesting. There's been studies done about it. For example, I think it was maybe I want to say the seventies, but it could have been twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things.
Speaker 2: It happened, and they wanted to test out gay characters. They recruited all these straight college students and one group had a character who was openly gay from the start, another one was a control group, and then the last one turned out to.
Speaker 1: Be gay at the very end of the night. That was the big twist.
Speaker 2: That was the twist, and they wanted to see how much experience taking each group had, and it turned out that the ones who the character was gay at the very end, they only just found out they related to the most because they were like, Oh, he's more like me, and it's funny. They actually attributed more feminine traits to the men that they knew was gay from the start and all these pre preconceived ideas about him, whereas if the character turned out to be gay later on, they thought it was more masculine because they related to him.
Speaker 1: I feel that also side note, you know, my theory is about fiction. I think that because you know, when people want to be better people, they go to nonfiction self development or whatever. I think the easiest way to be a more well rounded person is to read fiction, because you have to step outside your reality so much even comprehend what's happening, let alone step further out to resonate with the characters, resonate with the storyline. Do you want to be a nicer person, read a book about witches or something I extremely agree, flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: Here on flecks and frooms, we ask the hard questions that no one else is ready to ask.
Speaker 1: Every single day, relentless, thankless, it never stops.
Speaker 2: And today's question is, of course, which are you? There's two types of people.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 2: What are some types like tomato tomato, sure, tomato sauce and the fridge, tomato sauce in the cupboards, tomato sauce and burgers, or no tomatoo.
Speaker 1: Or controversially, water at room temple, ice cold. We know what's better for digestion, but socially there's a preferred one. True.
Speaker 2: Well, today's is a simple one. It's one that all humans and aliens around the globe can relate to, and that is whether you are a fart or a burper. I'm gonna kick it off with what I am. Great, thank you for disclosing. I'm not even gonna make you guess. Okay, great, I'm not here to play games. I'm here to go all in for farting. I cannot believe when I say are you a burper or a farter that anyone would ever choose burping belching?
Speaker 1: Is this what would one prefer or what one does more often? Both?
Speaker 2: So I'm a natural born fart and I want to keep it that way. So I am both fart by nature and fart by nurture.
Speaker 1: Oh amazing. However, burping, I don't know you're a burper. What do you think you're a burper? Really? Yeah, up the gullet, up the gullet. Well, I'm happy to disclose that I'm in fact a farer. Now you have seen me on occasion try to get out of burp. But I don't have the reflexes. My guzzler isn't built for that. I really have to push stuff out if I was a burp, but I wouldn't be as flemy. True, this stuff is stays clogged. Nothing's coming in, nothing's going out.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gona know because we have spent some time together. Now we have gone to the toilet at the same time.
Speaker 1: Was that you and the cubicle before? Yeah? You giggled, and I thought because you knew I was in there, so I giggled with I didn't know why were you giggling if you didn't know who was in there?
Speaker 2: I was giggling because I went in and there was no toilet paper, and you didn't say anything.
Speaker 1: So I did a little way, then got up and waddled to the next toilet. There was no toilet paper. What was I to do? And then came back to the original toilet. Nah? Nah? So when when did the flush occur? Oh?
Speaker 2: No flush it was it was a millimeter of we Anyway, I digress, as you would say, I'm all for farting.
Speaker 1: I want to circle back. How do you soil a public toilet and then not rush? As I say? This was like you wake up at three am? Or let me just quickly let one loose. Don't want to wake up the roomies, go back to bed, let me not. People say I'm mean. I just say I'm observant. Do you know how I felt waddling with my skirt. I don't mean to beerate you in your time of need. However, you walked into a bathroom with one cubicle in use, presumably that cubicle had toilet paper. You went into yours the far right, it's there's three. Did a little little tinkle apparently it's not twinkled tinkle. Did a little tinkle maybe while we're talking twenty mills, thirty mini. It was a drop thirty mills. Then used your pelvic floor to hold in the rest, zip it up, went to another cubicle. And at no point did you think just to ask the person in the cubicle for toilet paper.
Speaker 2: Look earlier in the week, you shamed me, You pissed shamed me. I did because I wee like a horse and I'd do it again, And so I didn't want to be outing myself as a person who's next to you in a cubicle saying can I have.
Speaker 1: Some toilet paper? It's a bit of urination shame. It was urination day. This is flex and frooms on Cada.
Speaker 2: What I did on Saturday last week was go out for a midday drink, which is such a pleasure. I thought I was just gonna go out for lunch with a friend, end up having an espresso martini.
Speaker 1: How is that? It was delicious? Until it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're sitting at like quite a fancy restaurant.
Speaker 1: Not name dropping. It rhymes with sart booner.
Speaker 2: Doesn't ring a bell, but continue anyway, We're sitting like on this bench seat that overlooks patrons sitting in front of us El Fresco.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, we're sitting. I'm with my friend.
Speaker 2: Pauline, an extremely expressive human being. She was feeling flustered that day, so she's using her hands. I'm halfway through my espresso martini.
Speaker 1: She goes, what app and it falls? She wax it out of your hand accidentally as she's gesticulating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it falls. There's two people sitting in front of us, two tables. Both people.
Speaker 1: No, that's really bad.
Speaker 2: So I freak out immediately, like, oh my god, what have we done? I look down. They are barely hit. The man can't even see a stain, maybe like a few stains on the pant, but colored pants, Chinos, So we deserved it.
Speaker 1: I like a China I'm sorry, I have to jump in. I love that navy Chino boat shoe.
Speaker 2: Look so sorry if that is the last thing I would have expected.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: The woman in front of us, I'm going to say she was sixty five seventy. She's wearing a like crisp white linen shirt. I actually clocked her when she walked in, so I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: That's a fancy lady.
Speaker 2: She turns around, It goes, I'm from out of town. This is the only shirt that i have, like, not even talking to us, but she's a person in front of her, and it just made me think, Hun, it's bad for me. I've lost my drink is barely hits you, and you're complaining to me as if we did it on purpose. For the rest of the afternoon, I just wanted to hit something else across the table.
Speaker 1: Do you know what's the worst thing about that? The fact that you did it by accident pose? Because when you are a victim of something that someone's done by accident, who are we to blame? I hate not having someone to blame. This is what that was. And so all that animosity, intension just doesn't you don't get to like process, It just get stuck with you.
Speaker 2: And I could feel that from her, I could feel her looking at us.
Speaker 1: It's an ugly feeling, isn't it. It's gross And I get it. We all make mistakes.
Speaker 2: Would you rather be the person that's spilt it or the person that was spilt upon spilt?
Speaker 1: Of course? Take no, I'd do it on purpose. I remember one time though. No incriminate myself, no, come on, go on, I was thinking about a situation like this, in particular, when you're at a gig and you choose to be in standing five rows from the front, it's gonna be touchy feely, You're gonna be rubbing up against people. It's gonna be a lot, and there are a few things you need to do to ensure that etiquette wise, you're taking to consideration those around you. There was a girl in front of me shut her hair out. It was like forty five inches of like luscious curly hair, but it was big, and she was very, you know, expressive, and she was moving around, but she was expressive in the way that she was pretending she was the only person in that space hitting people with her arms, with her hair whatever. So I was behind her and she was like jumping and dancing back and forth, and like I got it, but I was like, with the hair, I couldn't do it anyway. So I was complaining about her to my friend next to me, and as I was complaining, my chewing gum dropped out of my mouth into her hair. I said, wow, wow, wow, wow wow wow. Some state did it on purpose? Did I? I don't know. It's so long ago when I retell the story. My friend's like you did it on purpose. I could have, but I feel like it was an accident. Either way, I'm glad it was me that did it to her instead of her doing it to me. I want to find her and apologize on you. This is flex and frooms. Am I the asshole? Short answer? Absolutely? Yeah, often more often than not. But lucky for me, it's not about me or you. It's about this person who's texted us with this very complicated situation. If I had to summarize it, I won't, but I will read out the text we got from them, and then we'll go into who is the asshole and who should be groveling with apologies? Listen to this. Am I the asshole for making a joke about my brother's affair at his wedding?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Dear off the top? Probably not? Not an asshole? Yeah? Probably not. I know you've been contrary this. Yeah, okay. When I was in elementary school, I was a type of kid who got disrupts class often on their report card, so I never focused much on school. You two, Yeah, yeah, sir. My district had this system where they would pair high schoolers with younger kids to help them with their schoolwork. My mom made me do that after I kept getting in trouble. So my tutor was a freshman Abby. She would come to our house after school to help me with my homework or something I barely remember. My brother John was the same age as Abbie, so they would talk to each other and ended up dating. She stopped tutoring me officially after like a month, but since she was at our house lot, I also talked to Abby a lot. We were close as well. Makes sense. Fast forward ten years. Abby and John got married and had a kid together. Five years later, John tells me that he's getting a divorce because he's met someone new. It sucked because I liked John and abbe together a lot, but whatever. Then he tells me he had an affair with his new girlfriend. Also sucks, and I told him he shouldn't have hurt Abby like that, but also whatever, aloof. I also asked Abby how she was doing, and she told me she wasn't doing well, but she didn't want her to be the reason I have a bad relationship with my brother, a philanthropist. However, two months before the wedding, Abby calls me and tells me that my brother's girlfriend has been harassing her non stop. She showed me the text, and his girlfriend was saying some pretty disturbing things, but how she's so much better than Abby, taunting Abby for having to share custody of her kid now, etc. Just making fun of her and bullying her. This is graphic. I told my brother about this and he said he would ask his girlfriend about it. A month later, I asked him if he ever brought it up, and he said he did but saw nothing wrong with the text, which pissed me off because I confirmed that he saw the same text I saw, and they were red hot. Abby apologized for involving me in the whole thing in the first place and encouraged me to still go to the wedding, where my brother asked me to make a speech. The speech went well until I made a joke. The gist of the joke was me turning to his new wife and telling her that if she's learned anything from this, she should know that my brother will never let his wife stop him from finding the love of his life. Ha ha ha. This got my brother and his wife really mad, and they kicked me out shortly after, and my brother has been calling texting me none stop yelling at me too long, didn't read I made a joke about my brother's affair. Am I the asshole?
Speaker 2: I think the man that made the joke is not an asshole whatsoever. I think he is a comic genius, a clown who graduated clown school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a cloud for sure.
Speaker 2: He's got a red nose on. I think it's brilliant. It sounds like he's got wonderful comic timing. It sounds like they deserved it, And I think everyone of the wedding would have known that the bride and the groom were doing something untoward, and so I believe that everybody would get in another joke. It kind of like breaks the ice, and.
Speaker 1: If you did it, you should be able to joke about it. Also, is that other kind of jokes that siblings make it weddings, so they don't they have to kind of be a bit red hot in a way.
Speaker 2: I think red hot about like say, oh, the groom like Poody's pants in Guatemala, not like, oh, you fudged someone else.
Speaker 1: That's all set. It's a very funny way to address a situation that probably is the elephant in the room. I think there is something to say about decorum. You know, there's a time and a place for a joke like that, perhaps not on the mic, perhaps, But if that's the case, we would take our own advice. Yeah, we don't. I think that the brother is not the asshole. I think that the John and Abby definitely aren't the assholes. But his timing and he needs to understand why his brother is upset. It makes everybody look really messy and there's no recovering. Oh, I reckon couple shots, there's some fun dance. No, I think it gets worse from there, because what if there are some people at the wedding who don't understand the context are kind of like, oh I thought there was a gap, and true, I thought it was you. It was fine, all that stuff, No, never asking questions. Now there are murmurs.
Speaker 2: So no one is an asshole in this one. No, just unfortunate circumstances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. I think bad house training. I think poor manners. Is it asshole behavior? If they weren't siblings, I'd say yes. If it was like a best friend situation, I'd be like, mmmmm, you should be on better behavior. Siblings, especially a younger sibling to an older sibling. I get it. Jokesters, jokeses, clowns. It's all fun and games. And I have a theory that the guy who's posting has a crush on his brother's ex wife. It's per he was like, she tutored me so and then they became friends, and then they got married, and then we can't be friends because they got divorced. Disitter. That's how I felt. You're listening to flex and Frooms on Kada. I like fairy tales quite a bit, but not in the Hansen and Gretel. Is that the brand or the thing? I don't know, not in like a Pinocchio kind of way, in like an old wives tale superstition. I like hearing things from different cultures me like, oh woll, like I would have never thought of that, for example, not stepping on a crack, breaking mum's back, et cetera, et cetera. So I was on the clock app a couple of weeks ago, and initially when I saw this video, I thought it was a bit like a Reddit hoax, thing like is this real? Is this not? But essentially, what do you call those people who work at wildlife rainforests, caretakers. What do you call those people? Rangers? Rangers? What are they called park rangers? More words? Search and rescue? Oh okay, very different anyway, So I came across this video. Initially I thought it was like a Reddit hoax. Apparently it's very real. There is a old wives tale that if you walk into a forest or a heavily treed area and you see a set of stairs that lead to presumably nowhere, you should run in the other direction. I was, okay, this feels very niche. I feel like it's what people tell young kids that don't go running very far. But there is such a high density of random stairs that lead to nowhere in so many wildlife parks bushlands across the world. So much so that search and rescue teams are often told that when they are looking for someone who's gone missing, whether it be a kid or someone who's like straight off the beaten track, that if you get to a destination and it requires you to take a set of stairs, leave them. It's done. One guy recalled a story where he was in fire fighting training and his supervisor had said, if you ever go up a set of stairs again, you will be fired. Do not do it. It's in their handbooks. It's whatever. And so yes, I'm seeing your face bewildered. What is the issue with the stairs. Well, number one, people think that it's like stairway to a scary place. It doesn't exist. It's an optical illusion, it's another dimension whatever. Two. People do not know how those stairs got there. Are they like concrete stairs, concrete stairs, wire steps just in the middle of nowhere, And it's just like a like that, like a y. They just like some are like sixty meters high, like ten meters. They don't go anywhere, they're not functional. They're just in the woods. So it's like the pyramids. Yes, and there's a high density of people who have said that they would see stairs in a location and the next day they'd be gone. So I don't know what this means, but I do think we have to go to the national park, find a set of stairs, sit in front of them and see if anything spooky happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when you said the training for the fire yes, the search and rescue the firefighters are they do they mean any stairs?
Speaker 1: They upstairs seem to lead to nowhere. Stairs that don't have any purpose or function. It's spooky. But this is not like spooky. Binches were like, oh my god, this is like a weird thing. Regular people who shouldn't be superstitious making rules and guidelines for people to not go up random stairs in a forest. What does it mean? We will never know? I'm sorry to bring the vibe down. I know they get really scary Fleck and Fos. I have a theory that the reason why I and most people struggle to remember other people's names is because they don't match their names. I think very few people match their names. Can I interrupt? Of course, you're not a Lilian. I'm not a Lilian. Maybe when I'm sixty. I've grayed a little bit. I've got four chihuahuas. I wear caftans and turbans and big sunglasses, a lot of like clanky clanky jewelry, dinosaur design, dinosaur designs. I'm walking to the local cafe. I know everyone by name. I'm cutting the line, I'm laughing, I'm making jokes. She's Lilian, loopy Lilian right right now, I'm lil just just it's not really hitting, it's not really That's why we have flex it suits me similarly, Lucinda for you would never have picked it. Really, who's Lucinda? I look like a Lacinda. You absolutely do not giving English Rose, you look like a Frayer. Oh a Greta, Greta, I'll take it like a what's the one that starts with H like a Heather? No, something Swedish German of that thing'll Helga? You look like a Helga. You don't like that? Very offensive? I love that. Can I guess what you look like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Philippa or TAYLOROK, Taylor like an androgynous name.
Speaker 1: A little about Harry what I'm just spitballing. My first thought was, don't name kids until they've got a defined face and personality. That could be five, five, six up until then, and like a number, a letter x R, just all the number of the day they were born. I'd be five, you'd be three three. Great. That works well. Or you could do what Ghana does, which is the country I'm from, which is naming everyone by the day of the week they were born. All the Mondays get the same name or a variation of the same name. All the Tuesdays they had a variation of the same name. And there's like a masculine and feminine version. For example, Monday could be Martin Martina, Marty Maria, Tuesday could be Terry Teresa Ted. So every day is like Wednesdays. Like Wednesday, borns have a name, Thursday, borns have a name, Friday born to have a name. I was actually born on Tuesday. But my dad didn't like that for me. He said, you don't have the personality of a Tuesday. I want you to be special. I want you to be a Saturday born. So we named me after Saturday, which is Ama, and it suits me. So I definitely don't have Tuesday energy. Alma ama uma ama, alma alma. I see you as an armor.
Speaker 2: It suits like rebrands, no, because it's too difficult.
Speaker 1: I like feeling unique, and think about how many armors there are in the world. I guess there would be a lot, too many, too many. There's only one Lilyan a Hankin in the whole world, in the whole world, because a Hankn is a very rare surname, even in Ghana. Lilyan, Where'd that one come from? Mum claims she named me after the nurse that delivered me. Oh that's sweet, Hue. I like that.
Speaker 2: She was sixty the woman. You know what, I'd be really interested anybody who's listening. Can you please dm us if you think you have a name that nobody else in the world has and we can investigate you.
Speaker 1: Want them to want of me? Yep I hands down. If you type in Lilli N. Hankan, there's no more of me. Listen to Price. I feel like I could find six oh No, listen to Frooms Price. No, you've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 2: For more, tune Indicata on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.