Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcasts for millennials who want financial freedom. My name is beck Side and Jess Ricky joins me today because it is Friday, and today we celebrate you the incredible She's on the Money community. Today we'll be sharing our favorite money wins. We'll be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about keeping your clothes budget for a big schedule of events by purchasing fast fashion and we unpack something that you slim into our DMS about this week. You asked how to get on the same page with budget and throw away items when organizing a hen's weekend with your besties. That sounds juicy? It does, isn't that?
Speaker 4: Jess?
Speaker 2: How you going? I'm good?
Speaker 5: But today our team has doubled today and we have not one, but two guests who are fellow podcasters, journalists and of course twin Flames Sally McMullen and Alex Horrigan aka the Two break Chicks. Welcome down, Welcome, I'm so excited. We are so pomed to have you. I feel like the vibes are good. The vibes are immaculate, as always, overcomes some technical difficulties, and I think today's podcast is going to be such a good one.
Speaker 2: I think. So how's your week beans? Girls?
Speaker 4: Been good? We were talking about it earlier and we were saying, it was Sal's birthday yesterday and we went and visited an animal shelter that I used to volunteer at to try and help some of the animals.
Speaker 2: Get It was a very advice. Yeah, celebrations. We were just cuddling like kittens and bunnies. And however, I was like this every day. I was literally like, can we come do this once a month? Honestly? And I was like sweet.
Speaker 5: They would have been amazed too, to like get I feel like you guys have such a big platform even if a few people adopted pets off the back of that, Like, what a big impact that you're having.
Speaker 2: What a special way to spend your birthday.
Speaker 5: And it was so cute. They put a video up on Instagram and TikTok. You should go watch. It's freaking adorable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, seriously, that's really cute. Did you guys get up to anything else? What do we do? We had coffee with whipped cream on it. That was yeah, and we had bagels. Lovely, lovely. A good week overall, Jess, how about you? Has a week been? It's been good?
Speaker 5: Nothing exciting to report really, where just plodding along.
Speaker 2: It's getting cold. Not loving that. I love that it's getting cold. I'm so excited. Like the air is like a bit crisper, and I'm like, oh, there's nothing better than a crispy cold morning.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm so in the minority here, Like cold morning, I don't want to get out of bed.
Speaker 2: I just want to stay there.
Speaker 4: Though I agree, like next week when it's cold in the morning, I'll be like, behave this. This is terrible, change my mind every two seconds. Yeah, exactly. We're a big ball of contradictions.
Speaker 2: How about you back, how's your week been. My week's been really, really nice, just been chillin's, been cruised and just been living life. I honestly haven't done too much. I just got back from Sydney. My girlfriend met my parents for the first time. So let's get real serious. You gotta get real serious. But yeah, other than that, nothing really, But I am keen to jump straight into your muney wins slash losses.
Speaker 5: All right, let me get into it, because I do, have, of course, some goodies for you guys this week. Firstly, I've got a money win from sus who said money win. Found out that Shannon's cur insurance also do roadside assistance and one payment can cover multiple cars on one.
Speaker 2: Policy or price.
Speaker 5: This is my pro tip because my car broke down recently and I don't have roadside assistance, but my boyfriend does and you can.
Speaker 2: Use it for multiple cars. So if you live.
Speaker 5: With somebody or if you have a partner, see if their policy covers more than one because then you don't have to pay for two, which is a dream.
Speaker 2: That is amazing. Where was that again?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 5: Take a little note next, I've got a money in from Melissa who said we got married recently and I bought way too much alcohol for the reception. The bottle shop which we purchased them from. Let us return what we didn't open. Eighteen hundred bucks back in her pocket.
Speaker 2: Or eighteen hundred bucks is a lot of alcohols are not drink.
Speaker 6: That's so good that we were there, obviously.
Speaker 5: I've got a money lost from Amber, who said I went to cancel my Netflix subscription thinking I had a few more days until the next billing cycle, only to find out that the billing cycle had started that day and I had to pay for another month.
Speaker 2: Hate that sucks. Note them down, you're.
Speaker 4: Not canceled and then it just doesn't renew the next month? Or does it cancel when you cancel?
Speaker 5: I think it may be already debited or pro Sometimes they have like a you got.
Speaker 2: To give us twenty four hours notice or whatever. Yeah, I know that suck.
Speaker 4: The thing that I like about like iTunes, for example, is if you subscribe to something through iTunes, you can go into that app and then like unsubscribed, but it'll take you to the expiry date, so you don't have to remember when it's gonna, you know, rebill you. Just like this will expire on the twenty seventh of April, mix dounning.
Speaker 2: It's all in one place. It's easy. Some places like will cancel the same day and refund you, which is ideal. I don't think Netflix is going to do that though.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine Netflix taking it because I've got a money in from Ayisha who said money win. I've been listing our unused items on Facebook Marketplace and in the last week I've made twelve hundred fifty dollars on stuff that wasn't being used.
Speaker 2: That's so good. There's what's that statistic?
Speaker 5: Everybody has like six hundred dollars worth of stuff in their house and that they're not using that could be sold, which I think is super interesting.
Speaker 2: I believe I reckon.
Speaker 4: My parents are probably like a gold mine. Remember that thing when like all the Disney VCRs went by al and I was that mom, Yeah, give me the videos.
Speaker 2: It's giving Antiques Roadshow. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: I loved Antiques Roadshow when I was home sick as a kid, buy a little antiques roadshows.
Speaker 2: That's sent in the afternoon. Incredible.
Speaker 5: And lastly, this week, I've got a money win from Claire who said, my boyfriend and I have been craving a Southeast Asia getaway and I just found out I'm going to be sent to Thailand for work in a few weeks. So we really only need to sort some extra accommodation his flights and some sightseeing costs.
Speaker 2: That's so good, love it. That c very exciting.
Speaker 5: Now we have been saying to anybody coming on the show, we'd love for you to join in. So I was wondering, do you gals happen to have a money win or a money lost to share with?
Speaker 2: Everybody?
Speaker 4: Got boths?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got bothes. Should I start with the win? Let's start with a loss so we can end on a whim. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, So this was very fresh, this was very recent.
Speaker 2: There were tears. Oh no, I'm gonna say. I was like, I didn't know you were going to share this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm so excited, which is like, and our show is all about life lessons, so there is a life lesson at the end of this.
Speaker 4: But sal and I booked Hawaii flights during one of their like really good sales earlier this year. And then when we went to book our accommodation, it was also during a week that was like it was boxing days, so we were a bit tired from doing like sail recaps.
Speaker 2: We'd also just launched planners.
Speaker 4: It was just a big week, right, So I was a bit sleepy, bit tired, and I was also excited to be booking a commodation.
Speaker 2: I was like, let's go babbablah.
Speaker 4: And the way that my brain works when i'm excited, I'm just like a bit of a million miles an hour. And I was kind of rushing, but not because I wanted to get it done, but I was like, yeah, let's book accommodation.
Speaker 2: And so we're going in May. And then on the.
Speaker 4: Weekend, I got a notification on an email that I was like, what why is this email getting emails because it's not one that I use anymore, And it was like rate you'll stay at the hotel wed booked, and I was like what do you rate? My say, what are you talking about? I was like, you silly goose. I open it and it's the exact dates that were going in May, but in.
Speaker 2: March, oh much.
Speaker 4: Not May, because I am an idiot, and I was like, the way my tummy dropped, I was like, oh my gosh. And like Hawaii accommodation is definitely towards like the higher higher of the spectrum, Like the flights were very affordable, but the accommodation was definitely where we were. It was oh, and I just felt sick and I just called down and I was crying my eyes out and I was like.
Speaker 2: I'm just wasting all this money.
Speaker 4: And then so I was like it's okay, I'm not mad at you don't worry and that's a good friend.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I know.
Speaker 4: I was like, thank you so much, like you definitely could have annoyed if you wanted to be. And then anyway, I called the hotel and they were like, it's okay.
Speaker 2: You got charged a no show fee, which.
Speaker 4: Is only the one night rather than six nights, which was a lot better, but it was still a couple one hundred dollars, which I was like, I have learned a veriable lesson that I will be double checking not only dates, but the email, like the contact email, because I would have picked up on it so much more. But for some reason, you know how you know Chrome and Google can like automatically load an email.
Speaker 2: It had automatically loaded some rogue email from years ago that I was.
Speaker 4: Like, Oh, it was like an old world like Club sixty seven, like the most.
Speaker 2: Random one that you would never pick. Yeah, that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah really, And you're embarrassed when you're on the phone to the person and like what email is the booking under and you're like, oh, it's horse Girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was just as well.
Speaker 4: I think she was so nice, which was great because I think she could tell that.
Speaker 8: I was like, and I booked it on and I was like, I know that there's probably so many people that have done that, but there's probably so many people who have booked holidays that I just want everyone to go and recheck the dates and details and don't do what I did.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 5: Whenever I book anything with anyone to travel, I always make sure that I forward the email to everyone going, because I go it's a group responsibility because you've all also seen the email. So if I have stuffed something up when I booked it, you have a chance.
Speaker 2: To catch it. You didn't see it either, Yeah, plod and ability our fault group. Yeah, exactly, it's the group's exactly exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: Lesson learned. It sounds like, what's the wind to bring it back up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. We'll finish on a high.
Speaker 4: So Al and I both huge fans of cash back because we're both big shoppers, but we also love to like either save money or get money back whenever we can. Really, this goes for any cash back service that you like to use. And I've been using it for maybe the last year or so and I haven't ever withdrawn any of the money. And I had a goal that I wouldn't touch it until I'd gotten five hundred dollars cash back saved. And I'm almost there. I'm at like four hundred and seventy something, and it's largely because my local cafe does cash back. I buy coffee every single day, which is my toxic trait, which I know, but I've like factored that into my budget. But now I'm like, I'm going to get five hundred dollars back just from your coffee, just from my coffee, which was an expense I was already going to do exactly, No, I'm going to buy something stupid. Yes, good good, like i'maly gonna withdraw and like yeah by like a treat.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, awesome. That's incredible. And it just adds up so quick, really, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: We stand up? Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I want to know what stand means well, because we don't have time. We don't have time maybe off air, but maybe one day I'll feel that out. Okay, So next up, we're going to go through some broke tips, and I know that you girls came with one each, which I'm very excited about. So I'm just going to share one from the community and then we'll get to yours. So my first and only broke tip for this week comes from Alyssa, who says that she posted to a local buy nothing page to borrow a steamer, and one lovely lady obliged, and today she steamed her whole house a return to Wednesday morning. So basically her tip is to just go into your local community pages on Facebook or marketplace or wherever, and literally you don't have to go to like Bunnings, like borrow like a carpet cleaner. You know, when you're going to move out of a house, you need to full lease clean. Just asking the question and seeing what's out there in your community pages, seeing if you can just borrow something, even if it's something as small as like a mop for a broom or a dustpan, just borrow, see what you can borrow, and just kind of like create a little kind of similar to what you were saying, just like ages ago, just creating this like kind of like swap and sell sort of community vibe. That way, you almost never have to spend money on just those little things, you know, like cleaning products and stuff like that. So I just think that's a really great idea. Jump onto community pages and just put the word out there before you spend money, because they can be very very pricey. Okay, sal and l can we grab yours? Of course? Do you want to kick off sound? Yeah? Sure, so over at two Broke Chicks.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I reckon, we're gonna have the same one, do you think I I don't think so, okay, but maybe.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: My brain just tingled a bit. We like joined telepathically.
Speaker 2: It's the twin flame thing. Yeah. Sometimes we won't play and stuff and then.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh wait, And a lot of the time we do because otherwise we'll come prepared with the exact same respect I know.
Speaker 2: I find now I feel fine, say okay, we're good.
Speaker 4: But you know, at two Broke Chicks, we love to provide tips for all different types of savers and budgeters and shoppers because we know that like, nobody has the same money mindset. But I think for us, when we're talking about savings goals, a lot of people are like, I can't save five thousand dollars in a year. That's, you know, too much, especially with the cost of living, crisis and everything, which I definitely think is a valid concern and is something that throughout pretty much all of my twenties was something that I thought, and it's because I was never breaking it down day by day. I was always looking at it maybe monthly, and I was like, I can't afford to squirrel away hundreds of dollars a month, Like it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 2: I never have that money at the end of the month.
Speaker 4: But so my tip, my Broke Chick tip for today, is that you can start small and it only takes thirteen dollars and set any cents per day to add up to five thousand dollars per year. Yeah, and like think about how many times you walk out your front door and you literally bend down to tie your shoe and you all have a sudden spend literally yeah, seriously speaking of buying the coffees every morning. So I think either you can set up the automatic transfer or you can build that habit and do it every single morning when you're having a coffee or when you're having a brecky. And by the end of the five thousand dollars, that is a lot of money.
Speaker 5: That's heaps of cash that you could put something good. You could put it Christmas, you could spend it on the holiday treat yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Obviously that also comes down to expendable income, like you have to have like that thirteen.
Speaker 2: Seventy a day. But that's the thing.
Speaker 4: You can kind of cater it towards whatever the goal is, even if it's a dollar a day and then you end up with, you know, over three hundred and sixty dollars, It all adds up business presence down for yourself. My money tip at the moment is I'm really trying to embrace saving on money that I'm already spending, Like on money that's already kind of happening to be spent leaving my account as part of process of life. And I love saving, but I also want to live my life like I'm in my twenties. I want to have fun, Like I want to be able to go out and experiencings as much as I want to do that.
Speaker 2: So if I want to go out to dinners and I want to do that, I want to get some cockie teas. That's cocktails for anyone that speaks normal. I'm playing at home. I was thinking something very different. Yeah, look, that's great too.
Speaker 4: But and so what I've been doing is using a lot of apps, whether that's beauty.
Speaker 2: Fashion or groceries.
Speaker 4: Another one which has been sent into us by one of our audience members was first Table, where you save a certain discount or percentage on your meat by booking an earlier time slot.
Speaker 2: Another Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 4: So if you eat maybe that like five, five thirty or six, you save a certain percentage off your meal.
Speaker 2: And I love an early dinner, so like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if I'm gonna have a cocktail too, two cocktails, I'm asleep by eight thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah da, I'm like, I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'm having a little nat and I'm hungry by then, Yeah, same eat club. Eat club will show you like discounts for like takeaway and dining meals. And then another one was just switching to a high interest savings account and just making the money that's in my savings work harder for me. And I don't hundred do anything like I think there's so many little things that we can just set up and just like set and forget that, or just incorporate into the habit in our spending that we're going to save a little bit more. And it's basically just me embracing like seventeen year old Alex who would search for an hour for like a fifteen percent off promo cope that was like I will get one. I will say five dollars if my life depended on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's just like incorporated into my big girl, grown up spending.
Speaker 4: I love that because it's not about like restricting your spending. It's about complimenting the spanker that you're already doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good job, thanks awesome, those are so good. First table? Was it is that?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 2: It's first table? Es table? Okay, I'm going to look into that. Thank you much, all right, guys, let's go to a quick break and on the other side, we're going to be unpacking a money dilemma, which this week is all about keeping your clothes budget for a big schedule of events by purchasing fast fashion. And then we unpack something that you slid into our dms about this week, you asked how to get on the same page with budget and throw away items when organizing a hen's weekend with your besties. Don't go anywhere. Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take.
Speaker 2: A listen to this week's money dilemma. Hey, babes, love the pod.
Speaker 9: I'm a single gal in my thirties on sixty K before super All my friends are getting married this year and having milestone birthdays. Everyone's already getting new, expensive outfits for these events and I'm freaking out. I can afford to get what I need through fast fashion brands, but I know they're not good.
Speaker 2: What would you do interesting?
Speaker 5: There's such a big debate around fast fashion, and the one thing that I really want to articulate is, as much as I think it is really important to consume consciously the responsibility of ecological and impact, it should be sitting with large corporations, not on an individual on the level that people are current, like, yes, we all have an individual responsibility to do the best that we can. But also I think that there's been a bit of a trend of demonizing people who shop fast fashioned brands. And I think sometimes all you can afford is the shirt from Kmart, and if you wear that shirt from Kmart every day for you know, however many years, you're still spending your money. Well, I think the issue is the pressure that this girl is feeling maybe to wear something different to one of these events every time re wear your clothes. I think that that is so fine. But I just really wanted to table at the start of this because I feel very strongly about it. It really frustrates me that we really are canceling people and coming after people for doing things that might be within their means, Like not everybody can afford to buy the super ethical, you know, well produced garments, and I understand that that's the gold standard and that's what we all really want to do, but it's just not attainable for everybody. And I don't think that it's fair to be putting pressure on individuals when really the problem is the conglomerates that are producing these things unethically.
Speaker 2: One not.
Speaker 4: Have said it better, honestly, because I think there's two reasons surrounding this. And the first one that I wrote down was the most common reason is that.
Speaker 2: People can't afford to spend more.
Speaker 4: We're in a cost of living crisis, and we're vilifying people for shopping within their means and we're in their budget. And I do think there is the social stigma, society stigma that has been pushed especially onto women, that we have to always look different and be wearing something different, especially for big events. And then the second one is that fast fashion does tend to have more inclusive and extensive size ranges. You know, that is often also another reason why people are shopping fast fashion. There was a really interesting article written in Fashion Journal by an Australian model called it Jennifer at emmerely, I'm.
Speaker 2: Assuming I'm so sorry if I butchered that last name.
Speaker 4: Unsustainable fashion's aversion to size inclusivity, and in her articles she wrote sustainable fashion generally excludes women over a size twelve, especially in Australia. She continued to say, for anyone above a size sixteen, it's impossible to cut out fast fashion completely because what else do you wear? And given that the average size of an Australian woman is a fourteen to sixteen, this kind of highlights the issue that even if people want to, you know, shop more sustainably and with a slower fashion brand, there's not as many options.
Speaker 2: I do think this is slowly.
Speaker 4: Improving and we're seeing, you know, more brands come out with more exclusive size ranges. But this is also a thing to take into consideration, that people actually can't find the things to wear.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point. I had not even thought about that, even like, you know, I was going to suggest like op shopping and things like that, but even even then it can be really yeah hard to You might see one thing you like and it's like way too big or way too small for you. So it's like even then it's not really always the best option or always the you know option that's going to Yeah, I guess take you of the line, but yeah, I think it really is. I think just kind of take away that pressure of having to wear something new for like big events, yet absolutely re wear your clothes.
Speaker 4: I really think as well, Like, think about how many times you have looked at someone at a wedding and thought, oh, I've seen them wear that before. I've ever noticed when someone's worn something more than once. So I do think it is completely in our own head, but also it's what has been pushed on to us, so you know, we always have to be fashionable and I'm the newest trend and all that kind of stuff. But as well, I saw a creator on TikTok called brook Upden speaking about shopping your own wardrobe and she said this quote in it, and I thought that was so powerful, and she was like, are you bored of your wardrobe or are you bored of how you style it? Yeah? Yeah, I love that, Like if you can just tweak some things on how you're styling things in your wardrobe or pair it differently. You're going to feel really really differently about one piece of clothing and it'll completely change your perspective on it. That's what I was going to say, Like the power of accessories really can change up an outfit or even the way that you do your makeup or the way that you do your hair. If it's for you know, a wedding or a big birthday or something like, there are options for you to I suppose customize the one outfit, Like we've all seen that episode of The Simpsons and March has that like one pink Chanel suit she like.
Speaker 2: Tailor is it to be a billion different outfits? We don't have to go that extreme. But she's so sad too, But I love March. We have the same birthday, by the way, do you that is amazing? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Flex, But yeah, I do really think that you can accessorize within your own wardrobe or if you do, you know, want to perhaps just splurge on maybe a different pair of shoes or jewelry. You don't have to have a completely new outfit for every single event, because even if you're shopping fast fashion, but you're buying a new outfit for every single event that you have coming up in the air that's going to add up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 5: There's other ways that you're in, like you have an environmental impact in other ways as well. I think the other thing i'd say is look into maybe swapping clothes with your friends if you can. If everyone's buying stuff for these events, it sounds like everyone's gonna have fancy stuff. Maybe you can all do a trade and you can wear each other's stuff, or you can rent things like, there are other options as well. But I think, yeah, I completely agree, it's it's about the pressure that we feel to wear those things. I feel like that's the bigger issue. Even though that wasn't really what the question was asking.
Speaker 4: It would be hard though, because you're probably in like a group chat and you're seeing everyone sending you know, oh, I'm thinking about this dress where I'm thinking about that, and you would start having that oh I wasn't even thinking you're buying anything new like that. You know, the thought process that goes into your head. And that is so fair enough. But I really love that point. Sal and I swap clothes all the time, like and we're lucky because.
Speaker 2: We, you know, have very similar structure.
Speaker 4: Obviously, if your friend's five nine and you're five to one, it's gonna be a bit tricky. Sure, But if you do have a friend that you can swell close with, it's literally like having double the wardrobe.
Speaker 5: It's great, it's the best one hundred percent. Yeah, all right, should we get into the DM for this week?
Speaker 2: Yes? I am so excited. Okay, you guys are ready for a juicy juicy DM. Absolutely. Okay. So a listener read in and wrote, help. My girls and I are organizing a Hen's weekend for our best year, and there is a couple of things I'm having problems with. Firstly, on the cost per person of this hens. It's totaling three hundred and ninety dollars each for bus hire, a stripper in brackets. I personally am not a fan of alcohol, food, venue, hire, activities, etc. It's way out of my budget. But they have ignored this and made comments like, don't be a buzzkill, it's for our friend, it's just what it costs. And secondly, for costumes, games, et cetera. For the day, my friends want to buy a whole bunch of cheap, single use, throwaway stuff and it hurts my soul. To be honest, I would rather we spend time making stuff, more money on reusable stuff. I don't get it. They are happy to spend loads of money on a strip up but want to be cheap as with this, it totally doesn't sit right with my values. I don't want to be a down up, but I feel I need to put my foot down. What would you do? We were talking about this the other day.
Speaker 4: This is so tough, and I feel like, as you're going into your late twenties or thirties, this is absolutely a conundrum that a lot of.
Speaker 2: People are facing.
Speaker 4: I think as well, because we unfortunately had, you know, those years in lockdown and COVID. People are so excited now for weddings, for baby showers and those monumental experiences in their life that are such a big experience that they want it to be really big.
Speaker 2: They want it to be really amazing and memorable.
Speaker 4: However, Sal and I always say that, like, your wedding is so special and amazing and beautiful and stunning and sparkly and gorgeous for you, Like I think sometimes we don't understand that not everyone cares about your wedding. Is much as you do, yes, which sounds really harsh, but I think it's a really empathetic thing we need to remember when doing this.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like it's the friends as well.
Speaker 4: It sounds like the friends that are putting the pressure on into friends. Yeah, and that is a lot of money to be, you know, putting towards a singular event of a hen's night, especially like if it was aligned with your values, you'd probably be like, okay, sure, yeah, but it's not.
Speaker 2: So it's very tricky.
Speaker 4: And it's also just not not like, don't be calling a friend a buzzkill now it kiss me off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, excuse me exactly any context.
Speaker 4: Talking about money with friends is already really difficult, even if it is for you know, something that perhaps isn't as much of a milestone as like a bridal shower or whatever. The event is a hen's weekend, even if it's just going out for dinner. So I totally understand where she's coming from. But I do think that she should put her for down because even though yes, it's a group effort, if she doesn't want to put her money towards those things, I just don't think that she should have to but you can always explain yourself and provide an alternative. So we always say that if this happens, you know you can say I'm so sorry, I'm saving up for XYZ, or this doesn't fit into my budget so I can't afford this. However, how about we do x yzed here and come like prepared with perhaps more affordable options so that you're not just being like, no, yeah, I'm not going to do it, because especially it seems like the friends are already going to be like, oh, well, you're being a buzzkiller.
Speaker 2: Why are you being a team player?
Speaker 4: Or this is for your friend and making something that's going to be a really special weekend for your friend. I think if you come prepared with some more affordable options or alternatives, then it isn't like you just be like, well, I don't want to be involved in putting your hands up.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit.
Speaker 4: More proactive and shows that you still care about your friend having a good time, and also isn't like putting all of the responsibility on the other friends to come up with a different option. I want to know the boundary line lies, because like if you're a bridesmaid, is that like expected of you because I've never been a bridesmaid before either, so but then it because Hans as well. It's like multiple people are invited. It's like hand just like yeah, it's like sometimes it's more than just the bridal party, right that, Like are you able to just be like.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I can't afford this at the.
Speaker 4: Moment or my you know, monetary values lie elsewhere at the moment, see you at the wedding.
Speaker 2: Or is that a bit rogue?
Speaker 5: I think you can dip out for sure. But I think the hard thing here is there's also the ethical element that they've put in their their message to us, which is they don't want to necessarily contribute to the stripart because it's not something that's morally aligned to them, which is fine, but then they would be happy to more money on reusable cutlery and decorations and things like that rather than disposable So I think that also might be a bit of a confusing message to try to convey to somebody, because if you, I think it's one thing to say, hey, guys, not in the budget right now, like I'll just meet you guys at the club, and you know, I'll buy my drinks and i'll still be there, but that's you know, an affordable way for me to do it versus I guess the moral dilemma here is, well, I don't want to pay for things that don't align to my values, but I do want to pay for things that do. And I feel like that's really hard to manage in a group setting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, Yeah, I completely agree. I'm also thinking, like, my god, she's spending like three hundred and nine dollars on the Hens, and then you've also got to like pay for a wedding gift. I assume if you're like I'm assuming, if you're being in varge to the Hens, you're close enough to the person to have to spend like a hextic amount of money and then, like exactly as our message from before, our money dilemma, probably a new outfit of some kind. Like I just feel like this is really adding up costume she said, costumes exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: Where even is it an uber charged? Do you have to drive somewhere? I get accommodation? Do you have to get flights?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of this adds up exactly, And I know this is like extremely unhelpful for the person riding in, but I think that the problem.
Speaker 7: She's like, thanks, guys, She's like, so I feel great.
Speaker 2: So good. None of that was useful, and I'm really sorry for to our listener, but I think that they've been issue really is just like that people expect so much, like if I'm not choosing to get married, if I'm not getting married, if I'm nowhere near getting married, and one of my good friends is I kind of get anxious. I don't want to feel anxious. I want to feel excited, but I'm like, good, how much is this going to cost to me? And that's a really bad way to be. But unfortunately we've kind of found ourselves in this place where like, yeah, you can have to spend at least, like, you know, eighty bucks ahead for a banquet or something at a Hens, and then you've got your engagement party, and then you've got your wedding, and maybe you've got a kid's first birthday at some point in the future. But yeah, it just really really adds up. So I guess, yeah, that's extremely unhelpful. What I'm saying to the listener is change societal views. But I think putting your foot down exactly as everyone else is saying but just yeah, do it in a way where you're explaining me you're coming from. And if your friends it doesn't sound like what the like kind of the listener who's written in sounds like their friends aren't very supportive of their views and their values with each other don't even align, and it's like, I don't know, I would maybe just be not like obviously ending friendships, but just like considering who you're close to and who's like in your close circle. Because I know that my friends and hopefully the same with everyone else in this room, if I was to say, oh, my values don't align with this, they would absolutely respect that without even a second thought, you know what I mean. So yeah, maybe just like reevaluating those relationships but still keeping you know, put your foot down, absolutely hold true to that.
Speaker 4: Has some boundaries, I think, yeah, and good friendships will always respect boundaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly. So let's see what the community had to say. So first we asked have you been to a Hen's party before? Eighty four percent of you said yes, and sixteen percent of you said no. And then we asked, if yes, how should it cost to attend the event? Thirty six percent of you said between fifty to one hundred and fifty. Another thirty six percent said one hundred and fifty to two hundred and fifty, fifteen percent of you said two hundred and fifty to three hundred and fifty, and thirteen percent of you said three hundred and fifty to five hundred fifty. I'm talking dollars. By the way, how a mention that that's a hectic amount of money.
Speaker 5: We also had a bunch of people DM and say they spent over one thousand dollars, which is god insane to me.
Speaker 4: I can say that if it's a weekend away, oh yeah, that easily can add up to over one thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: On a HENS, which, like I get is fun and especially important, but like, to me, that's so not worth it.
Speaker 2: You're doing that.
Speaker 4: If you're wanting your hends to be a destination thing, you need to allow your friends to say no, yeah, to be like this is so optional, this is just what I want to do.
Speaker 2: You do not have to do this and like really.
Speaker 4: And not be like, because we will get messages like this being like and she didn't come to my hens in Barcelona. Two thousand dollars flights and We're like, come.
Speaker 5: On, come on, there's like a point where if you want to be that bougie, I think there's a responsibility on you to like to cover some of the cost, Like Jery, Like, I've been to one Hens. It was Victoria's, and I don't think I paid for anything the whole time.
Speaker 2: I mean, way to do it.
Speaker 5: It was just sorted, which I know that not everyone's in the position to do that, but I think, like, if you're expecting people to do something really expensive, is there a responsibility on you to make that easier for them?
Speaker 2: I think so, yeah. And then we asked what would be more important to you in this situation. Fifty five percent of you said spending less and getting single use stuff, and forty five percent of you said spending more in getting reusable stuff. Interesting. Interesting. Then we asked, have you ever had a friend not respect your budget and values around spending? Seven percent of you said yes and thirty three percent of you said no. And then we said, tell us your two cents. So I'll just go through a few of these. First, we had someone right, Hen's parties are so overrated, just spend the money on the wedding, which I kind of like I don't know, I kind of agree with this in this like really I don't know old school way of thinking, Like did it come from the idea that like you're only you're free for it's like your last night of freedom?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'll take any excuse to drink with the girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But like it doesn't need to be a big thing, but I will. I would have a HEN to night.
Speaker 7: I'm not engaged, but my boyfriend's like slow down, Like i'd be like yee, like I want to do that, but I so I don't think it needs to be this thing of like we don't need a HEN totally.
Speaker 4: It's up to what you want to do, because that's a thing like whereas I don't particularly want to get married, and if I decided to change my mind, I wouldn't have a HENS. Yeah, and Alex and I are best friend and basically the same person. So even like two people who are so close have very different views on what they would want to do, Like, yeah, I think it shows like that division.
Speaker 2: You know, you either way and it just depends on what you like.
Speaker 5: But you're right, it doesn't have to be a big thing, Like you could just get the girls together at someone's house, have some drinks, make some cheese platters, dance around track drunks. I have it, you know what I mean. Like, it doesn't need to be crazy. I think it's like the social media world that we live in has really put the pressure on for people to have this crazy instagram worthy event.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I agree. No, it doesn't have to It can just be like a little celebration. Just go to the to the bar, whatever you want to do. Someone said, get new friends, which.
Speaker 6: I think in a we said that in a nice what you said.
Speaker 2: It's a real boiled down version of what I say. I like it. It's honest. I like it. You take it. Someone else said, life is expensive these days. I expect to pay five hundred dollars plus for Hen's weekends. That's standard. Oh my goodness, I can't. I couldn't know if I agree with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: None, it's a lot of money. It is a lot of money. Here's what are you getting out of it. You've got your leaving the wedding, not married or anyway. Absolutely, that's not always the best thing. But anyway, it's a good time. It's an experience. Paying for an experience. Someone else said, and this is probably more practical buy off marketplace or sell the decorations after even single use. That's very good advice, thank you. That's what my.
Speaker 4: Question is going to be is with the reusable stuff. What hens stuff would be reusable? That's actually a great ques, Like I'm.
Speaker 2: Not using dick straws every day of the week.
Speaker 4: You know you maybe things like if you were like decorating the table, like table settings and decorating that stuff, you could hire I would say, or yeah, buy your Facebook marketplace, or you could handmake a lot of those things, like there are so many really cool tiktoks and things on Pinterest that you can use for inspiration that are going to be so much more aesthetic and also meaningful and more affordable than going to a party shop and buying a bunch of single use plastic.
Speaker 2: If you want the dick straws, sure but surely we.
Speaker 4: Can meet in the middle here and have like a mix of handmade or borrowed or rented things and then a couple of single use you know, cups and plates and straws.
Speaker 5: Yea, anything that you buy that's not single use you can then sell on afterwards theoretically as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly. Okay, I'll finish off with this one. So someone else wrote, sometimes we have to accept others won't aligned to our values and we have to find middle ground. Perfect. Yeah, I totally agree with that. I'm sure there's even though it sounds like maybe the friends aren't super willing to budge, there could be a middle ground there, you just have to find it. Yeah. Absolutely awesome. Perfect. Well, thank you guys, so so so much for joining us today. You've been so great, so funny. I love the dynamic beween us all. Please come back where. I would love to see you next week to us. Yes, and if anyone wants to find you guys, where should they look? Oh my god, where shouldn't they look? So where everywhere? Hearts. So we have our.
Speaker 4: Own podcast, two broad Chicks available where all good podcasts are strained true and then you can also follow us on Instagram at two Broke Chicks, on TikTok at two Broke Chicks Underscore. We also have a closed Facebook group, Broke Chicks Club. And we've also just announced that we're releasing a book, Finding Your People, which is available for.
Speaker 2: Pre order now. We really are everywhere you're doing it all. We're doing it most. That's amazing. All right, guys, thank you so so much again. V D will see you guys bright and early Monday morning, but for now, have a lovely weekend. By guys, bye bye. Did buy on?
Speaker 3: She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine