Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Susie Burrow and I'm Leanne Wood and welcome to the Nutrition Couch, a weekly podcast from two of Australia's leading dieticians, bringing you everything that is new in the world of diets, nutrition and good food from the Nutrition Couch. Today, Cell your light, many women have it, but can your diet really impact this very common skin and body issue. Our client case study is about low iron levels and the profound way iron deficiency can impact how we feel on a day to day basis. A weekly product Chat is a very popular lower calorie ice cream alternative and our listener question we discuss walking. How much should we be walking each day to keep the kilos at bay?
Speaker 2: But before we get started this week, Leanne.
Speaker 1: In the week we had a bit of a discussion about breakfast cereal because I sent you a random text asking you about a product because I don't usually actually eat very much in the morning and I've tried this cereal. But then it got me thinking what do you eat for breakfast?
Speaker 3: And I was funny that the product we were talking about was jacked full of natural or fiber and probiotics. But I think that sometimes food companies go even a little bit overboard, and they put too much fiber in some of the products, or just too much of I don't know, more than the humans can kind of handle in one meal. You know, some of these products have ten fifteen grams of added fiber into them, and yeah, so we're getting a little bit of digestive discomforts in some of these, some of these cereal recommendations. So I'm not a big cereal person, I must admit, I just don't find it gives me. It just doesn't fill me up. So probably one of my favorite breakings just eggs on sourder with some whatever leftover veggies I have in the fridge. This morning I had avocado and toast with some seasing and some garlic and some smoke withprika. So it's just a standard ava on some high fiber toast, and I had a couple of spoons of Greek yogurt with it to get my protein in. So they're probably the two things I rotate between. And then oats, any any kind of oats, baked oats, overnight oats, like soaking them or just doing like some porridge sort of oats with a bit of protein powder, some cheer or flax seeds and some fruit in the winter months, particularly or it's a bit colder, is something I really really love. So oats and eggs on sourder or probably my two most rotated breakfast options.
Speaker 1: And the thing I like about more savory options is that when I'm really trying to increase clients vegetable consumption, it's much easier to get something like spinach or tomatoes or mushrooms in with eggs or even like a breakfast wrap. I find it a bit more challenging when it comes to bulking up a cereal type breakfast. I guess if you have a smoothie, you can also put perhaps some greens in it. So when I'm trying to increase clients intake of veggies across all meals, that's where the savory breakfast can work quite well. So that's a good take home message, I guess for everyone listening. The more veggies you can slip into your breakfast, even if it's grading some extra zucheti into oats, or if you're having a smoothie blending some spinach leaves or some kale, that all really adds up and adds to that bulk factor of breakfast, and that's probably one of the most common areas I find clients miss in the morning. It's the most common feedback I give on breakfast choices.
Speaker 2: So if you're.
Speaker 1: Listening, give that as a little challenge moving forward this week, Hey, you can get some extra veggies into your breakfast each week. But moving on from that, we're going to talk about something that's close to many of our heart, particularly coming into summer when we're going to be bearing all very soon.
Speaker 2: Cellu light. Now, we know it's an issue that many women.
Speaker 1: Have, and we also know that it's a particular area of interest when it comes to what we can do to reduce cellulite. There's a huge number of supplement products and programs and laser interventions and even potentially dietary interventions talked about when it comes to how do we reduce cellulite. Now, my understanding is that a lot of it is genetic in the sense of the way skin holds onto fat has a large genetic component, and so you can get people who are really quite slim and small, and they can have quite bad solulight, and then you can get larger people who don't have as much. So that's my understanding of it is that a fair caller, absolutely so. Genet explays a huge role in cellular and as you said, most women have it and men as well, or probably not, as I guess prevalent in men more so and women all get into that in a second. But soulate is one of those conditions that are sort of multifactorial. There's no one reason.
Speaker 3: For it, and if you look a lot at the research, there's no conclusion as to why some people have silt and other people don't. So it's one of the most common what we will call imperfection issues that women face, and it's something that I think the beauty industry has made a billion dollar industry out of. But I think it is really important to note that cellulard is very different from generalized obesity. Soul It is not because of obesity. As you mentioned, you can be very slim, very fit, very healthy and still have seilight because there is a large genetic component to it. And with solulight, it's the atapo sites, which are sort of our fat cells which undergo hypertrophy and hyperplasia, which is the cellulite is essentially characterized by these large metabolically stable fat cells that are limits it to our lower body areas, so you don't really see, you know, cellulite on our face or on our shoulders or anything like that. It's generally down on our thighs and our butt, on our abdomen, that sort of thing. So the dimples that we get with cellulite, and I say we because I have it too, silly, they're due to this herniation of the subcutaneous fat lobduals through the dermal layer. So essentially it's the fibrous collagen that leads to this shortening and ultimately this retraction through the skin, which then causes this depression into the skin. So in simple terms, fat pushes upwards through these fibrous tissue bands that are connecting the skin to the muscle. This fibrous tissue pulls the skin in and that's what causes that lumpy appearance or to say, like type appearance. So, as you said, a lot of factors are involved in whether or not you get slight. Genetics is a big one. Your sex is a big one. Obviously a lot of females suffer a lot more than males, and lifestyle as well. But if you looked at the exact physiology of why we develop ceilt. It's just not really understood and we just don't have an answer for it, unfortunately. But what we do know is that it is more common in females than males, and that's because of how as females we have this different distribute of fat, muscle and connective tissue. So men tend to have this it's almost like a crisscross structure Susie in their tissues, and that explains why with so luded men, it's less likely that the fat cells poke through this criss cross structure in terms of women don't have that criss cross structure in terms of their tissue, and so it's easier for the fat cells to sort of poke through and create that dimpling more like appearance. So I think that's why you or women suffer a lot more than what men do from zeulate.
Speaker 1: It is really interesting because, as I said, you can get people who are really quite slim, and I do. I will say as it offside, I notice if you're a bit tanned, it tends to look better. So of course we're not advocating spending many hours in the sun, but definitely I've noticed that when you're feeling a bit brown.
Speaker 2: It's definitely better.
Speaker 1: There are a couple of research studies that have specifically looked at the effect of dietary intervention on cellulite and basically looking at calorie control, calorie reduced diets, regular exercise, and when they assess, there's a couple available of women of sort of between thirty and fifty and when they assess the changes literally everything changes.
Speaker 2: Except the appearance of the cellulite.
Speaker 1: So you lose weight, you've got more muscle mass, you've got less fat mass, and it doesn't necessarily reduce the cellulite. So that's actually some intervention studies looking at that. Now, the things that come to mind for me in terms of diet is that whenever people are going on sort of fad diets where perhaps they're losing large amounts of weight quite quickly, and that can result, for want of a better word, that kind of skin sagging. I would say anecdotally, it tends to be exacerbated and the look of that, and that gives I guess good justification to lose weight relatively slowly and in a sustainable way, and ideally in a way that is encouraging more resistance training. And preserving muscle mass, because that means you're less likely to get that very pronounced look of the skin when you've lost weight quickly, So that I guess is justification for doing it more slowly. There's a little bit of reading around anti inflammatory diets and reducing the appearance of cellulite, so for example, focusing on less that traded fats, less processed fats, more natural fats from nut seeds, oils, oily fish. But I really want to be very clear the chance that's going to reduce the appearance of cellulite, the research just is not there. So yes, it's probably better for your health. Yes, it's going to be better for your overall health of your cells and the body and a number of other variables, but specifically when it comes to cellulite, not so likely. And just as an offside, I know we're here to talk about diet and exercise, and I know you've got some specific research looking at trading in a minute, but where I work in Bondai and Sydney, normally I work quite close to one of those laser kind of clinics where you can pay like quite significant sums of money, and one of the areas that they claim to have benefits of is reducing the appearance of cellulite.
Speaker 2: And I look at the.
Speaker 1: Before and afters, and you know, we're talking about thousands of dollars of intervention here to have this result, and I can barely see the difference, you know what I mean. So I think, you know, we're yet to find a QR for this very common issue that we talk about. And definitely, in the case of diet, if someone came to me and said that I want to reduce the cellulight, I'd have to send them on their merry way because I couldn't really probably do anything much about it myself.
Speaker 2: But there is a little bit.
Speaker 1: To do with training that suggests that might be one of the best intervention points is in there.
Speaker 3: And as you mentioned in terms of you know, there's light therapies, there's creams, there's even injectible things that you know, you can inject into yourself to try and reduce that appearance. But there was a large evidence based review I found in the American Journal of Clinical Dermatology which, in a nutshell, showed that there was no clear evidence of good efficacy which could be identified in any of the evaluated selul like treatments. They went through the injectibles, I went through the creams, I went through the laser light therapies. So unfortunately, you could probably spend thousands and thousands of dollars and really not come out much better on the other side. But as you mentioned, there is a small amount of research that a good diet and lifestyle is important. Drinking enough fluid is actually really important as well, and a good amount of exercise, but specific weight training, because from the readings that I was doing Susie, it was sort of hinting that, you know, skin looks smoother and firmer over muscle than it does over fat, So we want to do exercises that help to replace the fat cells with muscle cells essentially, so to make that, say, like a little bit less noticeable. So eating in a calorie deficit in order to lose a little bit of fat, plus proper strength or weight training was really important in terms of leaning sort of a leaner lifestyle, which if you're going to be a little bit leaner, obviously that appearance of so light is going to be a little bit less. Not having say that it'll ever go away completely, we can never completely get rid of sai light. We just hope to, I guess, reduce down the appearance of it. And as you mentioned, some days a good fake tan is really really beneficial for us ladies.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting you say that because I was just writing an article on why it's so easy to gain weight as we get older, and it's probably safe to say that a lot of women still don't do a lot of resistance training and in particular working those larger muscle groups like doing squats and the large muscle group training, even if they do a little bit of lightweights on their arms. So I guess that's good motivation to get a very specific weights program, resistance training program that really works in the back of the legs and the glutes and those areas where a lot of us do find that when we put our causes on the dimpools are out for everyone to see.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I'll just say from my own personal things that I've done in my past, I have seen a very big improvement with my amount of soult. I have a lot on sort of my upper thighs that's sort of where I tend to hold it a little bit. And with living al in a lifestyle and specific weight training that sort of reduced the appearance of my soul like quite dramatically. And now that I am what are we this week's uzzy, probably twenty eight weeks or something pregnant, I've stopped a lot of I'm still weight training, but it's a lot less in terms of the frequency. I maybe only doing two three sessions a week instead of four or five. The weights and the intensity and the reps have decreased quite a lot, so I'm sort of nearly down to almost body weight stuff with just some light stuff at the moment. And obviously I've gained quite a lot of fat stores as well to support a healthy pregnancy, which is absolutely fine. We're not complaining about that. But I have noticed that a lot of my cellulite has returned as well. So I do really think that there's a lot to be said for, you know, living a little bit of a leaner lifestyle, proper weight training and that regular weight training, and as you mentioned, not yo yo dyeting is such as well, because the more that those fat cells expand, think of it almost like a balloon like, it has a hard time sort of contracting continuously over time as well. So I do think that sort of diet and lifestyle plays a little bit age in genetics and hormone factors as well. Is probably the last one that we didn't mention, because as women approach metopause, they are levels of estrogen decrease, and so does the blood flow to that connective tissue under the skin. And also as we get older, the collagen production decreases and our fat cells become slightly more in large, so all of those things aren't exactly going to be supportive towards cellu light, so I think, and hormone factors definitely can work against us. And genetics like if you have those genetics, if your mum and your grandma had saylight, chances are you're going to have a tou no matter how lean or fit or healthy you might be. So it's one of those things where it might just be that we embrace, you know, the best parts of our body and learn to love all of the parts of our body rather than wasting thousands of dollars on light therapies and injectables and creams and that sort of thing as well, and just knowing that, you know, censoring our social media feed zusie, so that we're seeing more real life bodies, because solight is one hundred percent something that I would probably say. I think the research says eighty to ninety percent of women struggle with So if you've just got constantly airbrush photoshop models on your Instagram page, you're not really doing yourself or your mental health any favors because you're just not you know, you're trying to compare yourself to something that isn't really real or isn't really a great representation of the rest of the population.
Speaker 1: And I don't think those latest swimming costumes everyone's wearing, does anyone any favors?
Speaker 2: Like they're barely there, are they? Some of them?
Speaker 3: I'm like, is that a newd to speech?
Speaker 1: If you've got no bottom on your bikini bottoms, what do you expect? Like, I can't believe it everone's wearing those causes you won't see me in one of those anytime soon. But just leading back to the hormone issue, something I will mention is if you notice a profound difference in your body composition. So if you're someone who didn't have a lot of cellu light, you retained a lot of muscle mass, and then as you get older, or perhaps you're feeling overly fatigued. Something's changed and you notice your body composition isn't as strong as it once was, You're having a lot more difficulty holding onto muscle mass. I do think that's worthy of investigation because at times it may be indicative of something going on with your estrogen levels, your dhea, which I've spoken about before, which is the precursor to testosterone, and I have noticed with some clients that sometimes when those hormones are low, they have a lot of trouble putting on lean tissue in the gym, and so the underlying hormone condition needs to be addressed. So if you've noticed a distinct change in your body composition and you're not being able to train or retain muscle tissue like you once did, I do think that is worth looking at too, because that can be indicative of some changes of those underlying hormones, which in turn may impact your ability to get that good muscle and reduce the appearance of any cellu light to So be mindful.
Speaker 3: Of that great point, and that sort of leads us into I guess our next section, Susie, where you mentioned quickly fatigue and just being a bit tired. I'm sure we can all sort of appreciate that life seems to be even despite lockdown and this crazy, you know, worldwide pandemic, we seem to be busier than ever some of us. So nutrient deficiencies are incredibly common. Being tired is incredibly common. But what's also quite common is iron deficiency. So this is one of these medical conditions that is so common in women. Up to eighteen percent of healthy women have low iron, but it's often not really talked about. It's often something that's kind of just brushed over, like, oh, you're low and iron, that's normal. No, ladies and men, it's not normal. And research by the University of Western Australia actually showed it was one of these conditions that doctors were actually overlooking because it was sort of something that was just popping up here, there and everywhere, and they weren't really paying too much attention to it. So I think it is a really important discussion that we have today around iron deficiency. So what is it? And you know what causes it and what we can do about it. So do you want to kick yourself, Susie and tell us a little bit more about why iron is so important in our bodies and why we seem to have such high rates of deficiency.
Speaker 1: I think that that estimate of eighteen percent is quite low. My understanding is that if you take into consideration people who have low iron stores, which is kind of the stage before iron deficiency. It's when your body is depleting your stored iron to try and keep your hemoglobin up or the key molecule that transports oxygen around the body at normal level.
Speaker 2: And I remember it being.
Speaker 1: As high as twenty five percent of Australian women and just anecdotally speaking to women I knowing myself you're pregnant, you know the huge number of women who are constantly exhausted. It is often an iron issue.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The reason it affects all of our systems because it's transporting oxygen around the body. So it means that if you've got relatively high energy demands, as most women do, perhaps you're losing a lot of blood in the menstrual cycle. You might have been demitriosis or one of the other endocrine conditions, which means that you're menstruating more frequently or losing a lot of blood. All of those issues means that we're prone to that feeling of chnic fatigue, dizziness, breathlessness, and just even quite poor mood. And what I found interesting reading one of these studies is that a study found that more than thirty percent of those women affected by low iron levels will also being treated for anxiety and low mood. So there seems to be sometimes we're misdiagnosing potentially a basic nutrient deficiency that's incredibly common and linking at two mental health disturbance because people are feeling so poor and unable to get through their activities without feeling really constantly tired. And when I'm asking my clients, I'll say to them, if you wake up in the morning and you've slept a decent amount and you still feel tired, I would straightway be getting my iron levels checked.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The most common time I see it leanne. It's really interesting. I don't see it in my vegetarian or veagan clients. I see it in what I call my sporadic meat eaters, because people who or wole who eat read meat are often not having small amounts of lean red meat three or four times a week. And I'm only talking seventy to one hundred grams not very much, but they need access to it three or four times a week to have enough well absorbed iron to maintain iron levels when energy demands are high. But what I see very frequently, and I'm probably guilty of at myself. I'm just about to get an iron check, so I'll share those results because I'm not feeling overly positive about it. What I find is they're having it about once a week. They might indulge in a steak or some lean mince in a spaghetti bolonnaise or burritos once a week, So they're sporadic meat eaters, and so they're trying to eat a lot more fish and a lot more chicken. Maybe they don't love red meat, but they're not anti at either, so they include it occasionally, but it's not their first go to. And then what happens over time is the body is so trying so hard to absorb that very limited amount of iron or hem iron as it's known, which is the well absorbed form of iron that's found in animal food, that it's just not enough to keep them going in line with all their energy demands, the menstrual cycle, or their activity levels. So the different for people who are vegetarian or vegan, the body has had to adjust to absorb what we call non hemion from plant sources like grains and legumes, so it's used to doing that. Whereas when you're a sporadic meat eater and you only give the red meat the good stuff that's absorbed, well, occasionally it's just not enough. So the take home message is, if you don't feel great, and if you had a history of iron deficiency, you might have had a pregnancy, several pregnancies, you're just not feeling yourself. You're moody, you're tired, you're breathless, you're even a bit dizzy, it is time to get a full iron check.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: The other quick mental check is if you do include red meat in your diet, but you only include it once maybe twice a week, you'll be much better to include small amounts more frequently. So if you're cooking something like a burrito, mince or a spaghetti bowl, have it for lunch as well. Make sure you're having a small steak once or twice a week, or including it at lunch time, as well as iron rich foods from other sources like your eggs, your legumes. Every single day, and that will make a massive difference to how you feel, because basically we're constantly running on empty. I see it all the time. I've experienced it. It's a terrible feeling, and it's another one of those quite chronic in our society, but we just overlook it because all of us are feeling tired all the time, and we don't consider actually, hang on, when was the last time I really did sit down and have a steak.
Speaker 3: And the reason that we feel so tired is because iron is one of our dietary minerals that actually carries oxygen around the body. So the reason we feel so tired is because our blood isn't being oxygenated as well as it should be. And you mentioned a couple of people who were more prone. You mentioned it's your sporadic sort of clients who eat red meat. For myself, obviously being a gasteomentrology dietition by sort of trade or background, I used to see a lot of iron deficiency, and a lot of that was in undiagnosed CELIAX, so people who had Celiac disease. Often iron deficiency was one of the big symptoms, sometimes the only symptom that we would see that iron was just bottoming out. They didn't really have any other symptoms until we got them onto an appropriate gluten free dant was when we actually saw the iron come back up. I also see it in over exercises, particularly runners who do a lot of long distance running, really really low levels of iron, pregnant women, and coffee lovers, because the tannins in tea and coffee. If you constantly drink tea and coffee throughout the day, even if it's decap or herbal tea, that sort of thing, it's the tannins, not the caffeine that actually inhibits the iron absorption. So I think that it's important to reference that there are two types of iron. You do not have to eat red meat to get iron. Obviously, your hem iron is from your animal based food sources that see what you would call the best or the most easily absorbed type of iron. But your non hem iron is your iron from plant based sources. Yes, the body has to work a little bit harder to absorb it, but it's still a great sauce. So particularly if you're eating non hem iron based sauces, so from plant foods, think chickpeas, think dried apricots, think even iron fortified tofu really really great vegan sources of iron. But you want to ensure that you're eating that with the vitamin C rich food, because vitamin C helps to increase the absorption of iron. So say you have chickpeas and a meal, you're having a beautiful chickp salad for lunch, add some oranges into that, or out a squeeze of lemon juice with some extra version olive oil as you're dressing, or say for dinner you're having you know, dark green leafy veggies or another really great source of iron. In terms of your broccoli and your spinach, put some capsicum or put some tomatoes with that because they're high in vitamin C. They're going to help you to absorb the amount of plant based iron in that meal as well. And then also think of your iron block it. So I mentioned that the tannins and tea and coffee can help to block the absorption of iron. Things like unprocessed brand some of your soy proteins, and also some medications as well, you can actually block the body's absorption of that iron. So really, if you're somebody who has had low iron in the past, or your sort of borderline, or you're just feeling fatigued and exhausted, you don't like needles, you don't want to go get a blood test. Make sure you're keeping your tea and coffee I would say ideally at least an hour apart from your main meal, so having like your tea and coffee in between your main meals, particularly at lunch and dinner, because I find that most people will get the bulk of their iron intake from lunch and dinner, So sitting down and having a coffee with lunch and then a cup of tea with dinner isn't the best habit you can get into if you do have low iron, so really really important to remember out of vitamin cea rich sauce, don't include it with any iron blockers like tea coffee on process brand, and make sure that ASUSI said you're getting in regular amounts of iron throughout the day. Main meals are important, but snacking on things like roasted chickpeas and dried apricots a really really great ways to get in some additional iron from your plant based sources as well.
Speaker 1: And we're much in Australia One of the biggest issues with red meat consumption is that when we do have it, we tend to over consume portion wise, so we have a massive steak or a big burger. Whereas the thing with iron, it's not the volume that you need of red meat, it's just the regularity. So we needed quite a small portion seventy to one hundred grams, which is a small palm size, but we do need it three or four times each week, so you're much better to spread it out or as you mentioned, include it with a lunchtime salad a couple of days as well, just to make sure you're giving the body that regular access to it. And if you're leaning towards a plant based lifestyle, really ticking the box each and every day on an iron rich food at least a couple of meals, and then looking for those ways to enhance it. And absolutely right for big coffee and tea drink, because that's another big standout that it is a significant blocker. And that's actually also of interest because if you think about a lot of our breads and cereals can be fortified with iron, particularly in the mornings, whole grain cereals, but of course we consume it with milk, which is another blocker from the calcium. So even though I might say it may consume it, it's always going to be better from more of a natural food that it's present in, rather than adding it into a fortified version. And then in the natural way, we're often not consuming it with the right kind of absorbing food. I'm thinking toast that's fortified with iron, and then you're having it with a coffee of milk, or same with a cereal and milk. So you're right, we're always much better to go back to those naturally rich sauces. And if your preference is for a plant based diet, and that's absolutely no judgment if you choose not to eat red meat or prefer plant based, it's completely personal decision. But there are certain tricks to it when it comes to making sure you're getting plenty of iron. I usually suggest clients are having iron rich foods at at least two of their three meals a day, whether it's the legums, the eggs, just to be ticking the box and keeping on top. Anecdotally, Yeah, I don't have trouble with iron with my non made eaters. It's always my made eaters, you just don't get enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think a lot of our more plant focused or plant forward approach kind of clients are eating such a wide diversity of plants, nutsieds, legumes, whole grains, that sort of thing that have such great amounts of non heme based iron in them, and they're getting that frequency and that I guess intensity because they're having it in regular meals and snacks throughout the day, but just quickly with iron as well. If you are somebody who has an I in efficiency anemia, you may be on tablets. Bear in mind that it can take months for those levels to come up through blood tests, So if you are quite animic, you might actually want to have a discussion with your doctor about having a an infusion. Just if you're feeling crap and you don't have months to wait for that energy to come back, you might actually want to consider something like an iron infusion. I've had one in the past when my iron was just completely horrendous after I had a really bad bat of Bali belly Susie when I was like twenty twenty one. Couldn't keep anything down or in either either way either end.
Speaker 1: It was terrible for months.
Speaker 3: On end, and I just had to have an iron infusion. My levels were just so incredibly low and there was no way that I was able to get in enough nutrition and have the time to wait months for that to come back up. And I do know that a lot of clients who take iron tablets regularly also suffer from constipation. So a quick tip here is to to more of a liquid based iron rather than iron tablets that can assist with constipation a little bit. But I think the bottom line here, Susie, is that an iron deficiency is not normal. It's sort of glossed over and it's really like, oh, you cut a low iron Haha, me too. That's not normal, guys. So really something that you need to investigate. And I actually spoke extensively about this on one of my own podcast episodes with a leading hematologist, doctor Sanjay Juneja. He is absolutely excellent, and he talks you through what are all the differing reasons for an iron deficiency, why it's not normal, and why we need a reason for being iron defficient, and a lot of the times it's not due to nutrition, it's due to some other sort of medical or disease condition within our bodies. So that's episode eighty four on the Lean Word Nutrition podcast, Give my own Little potty a plug, Susie. If you guys wanted to learn more about iron deficiency, if you had any friends or family that struggled with it and kind of wanted to get to the bottom of their condition a little bit more, you're.
Speaker 1: Right, just a little offside. Personally, My mum's only symptom of bow cancer was severe iron deficiency.
Speaker 2: So absolutely, if you are.
Speaker 1: A red meat eater and you'll still have quite low levels like you mentioned, Siliacs, it can be an underlying decatur of quite significant medical issues, So don't let it go unexplored. And I'll also say don't wait till it gets to full blown iron deficiency. If your stores are running low, that is enough to make you feel really tired. And whether you're coming off the back of a pregnancy or breastfeeding, these are major risky times that women get depleted, So really urge your obstetrician or whoever's looking after you from a general health perspective to take care of that iron before before they leave you go out of their care, because you don't want to have a new baby and coming out of a pregnancy and going into breastfeeding with low levels of iron. All right, so something a little bit more upbeat as we're talking about fatigue. Now, we don't feel great, so we thought for our product review. We've had several questions about this product in supermarkets because who doesn't love desserts and ice cream. So the topic we're going to talk about today is Halo Top and we've had several of our listeners requests and information on this product. Tonight picked birthday cake because if I was going to be choosing a Halo Top flavor, that would be my go to choice, and we thought we'd have a little chat about it in terms of is it really a healthier option? Are these sort of ice cream ice desserts too good to be true? So this was a product that started to come into Australia, I want to say, about three years ago now, and it was a well known brand in the US and it started to be imported here as a significantly lower fat, lower calorie alternative to full ice cream. And the first thing to kick off this discussion about Halo Top is that a Halo Top dessert is quite different from four ice cream, which has a certain proportion of milk fat. I don't know if the top I think it's eighteen percent milk fat off the top of my head to be actually called ice cream, because there has to be a certain proportion of cream in it. So these tend to be more what we would describe as dessert products in the supermarket. Now you'll be very reasonably familiar with them.
Speaker 2: They're there, little tubs.
Speaker 1: They're quite small preserved. They're about I think three hundred meal between two fifty three hundred mill and a serving size in one of those little tubs is sixty four grams or a quarter of that tub, and that will give you just over eighty calories, five grams of protein, two grams of fat, and just one of saturated which is significantly lower than regular ice cream, six grams of carbohydrate and sugars. Now, the first ingredients are milk and cream sixty seven percent, but eggs is right up there, as is milk, protein concentrate, a fair wack of sweetness from erythrotol as well as some sugar. And they're quite heavily processed to get the taste and consistency of an ice cream, but obviously much much lower in fat.
Speaker 2: And in sugars, so.
Speaker 1: What would be perceived sometimes is a much healthier product. So where do we sit on halo top? For me, Leanne, the biggest issue is I don't believe anyone has four portions in that tub. I think that most of us are kitting ourselves if we think we buy that tiny tub and they're not inexpensive.
Speaker 2: I think they're eight or ten dollars per serve.
Speaker 1: I think they're more likely to eat at least half, if not the whole thing, and then it's not looking so appealing nutritionally. And indeed they do market with their entire calorie load of the tub on the front, ranging from about three to four hundred calories if you eat the whole tub, which is then comparable to a regular serve of ice cream, although admittedly lower in fat. So it's one of those products when I'm giving recommendations to clients on there as you would describe soul foods. If this is a soul food for them, absolutely, but it probably wouldn't be my sole food of choice because I tend to go for a less processed product and get the mouth feel and taste of the actual ice cream or chocolate or whatever. They're looking for rather than consume this and think that it's so much better. But I tread carefully because I know these products are quite polarizing, and I know we've got quite a few Halo Top fans listening. So yes, it's definitely not my first go to when it comes to recommending a healthier dessert. But portions is my biggest concern and the level of processing that comes in them, so definitely not something I would describe as overly healthy. Definitely more of that occasional treat if you can control yourself around that tub.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I hope you don't really have anything to add, Susie. I think you've summed up my thoughts exactly.
Speaker 2: She's not saying anything. She's giving me nothing. When I'm looking at it. There's no emotion.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think the biggest thing, as you mentioned, like the marketing of the brand is really around like you can eat the whole pint of ice cream for three hundred and sixty calories. It's like I'd actually rather go and eat some real life scream for three hundred and sixty calories thanks, because it is overly overly process I mean, just looking at the ingredient label. There's got to be twenty plus ingredients on there. It's just packful of ruth through a toll on palm oil. Like, I wouldn't actually say it's a healthy product. If you needed a high calorie, hy energy diet, it could probably be quite good because there's you know, a fair whack of protein in there, and if you're going to eat that whole whole tub, the whole little pint of it or whatever you want to call it, it's sort of twenty four grams of sugar and that whole thing. So I wouldn't actually say it's that healthy if you were to go and eat the whole thing. And I think that that's what the majority of people actually do, suit you know, as you mentioned, And it's not a cheap it's not a cheap option. I think it's I mean, I think it's eight dollars on sale. I think it's normally around twelve dollars. If you're buying it from one of those smaller conveniences or health food stores, I think you're looking at sort of twelve, fourteen, fifteen dollars for the little thing of it. So call me a sucker, but I'd rather my Ben and Jerry's or my gelato Missine, I thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I think what they do have as well when I quite like the transparency around the calorie load, Like you know, when you buy it, you're very clear what's in it calorie wise.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's a bad thing. I would also say.
Speaker 1: There are quite a lot of vegan options in the range, so for people who are seeking out a plant based diet, it does give quite a lot of variety in that space.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know, it's one of those foods.
Speaker 1: If you like it, I would include it in small amounts, be very mindful of the portions. I myself am too tight to be paying that much for dessert, so that's the barrier for me. I wouldn't spend that much on a product. I guess if someone's really specific in calorie counting and likes to measure it out, and also really likes those rich flavors that you get more in the States, you know, the birthday cake and the cookies and cream and those rich flavors. It's certainly lower in faten calories than the equivalent of regular ice cream. So you know, if it's your thing that you really enjoy and you can control yourself and you like it, and maybe it reminds you of being in the States, you know, sure, but as a SAI it's not my first go to. I do think it's pretty processed and very easy to overeat, and that somewhat defeats the purpose given I'm usually working off one or two hundred extra calories per day for clients at the end of the day, as opposed to three four hundred.
Speaker 2: Which would be the equivalent if you ate the whole tub.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think it's interesting and I think when it first came out it was kind of one of the first formulated foods that was using things like eggs and milk mixes in a way to create food products with significantly lower calories. Now, these kind of products are a dime a dozen in America and we haven't had a huge amount of them here in Australia, so I think it was also that novel factor. I think since then we've now had a whole lot of these kind of dessert products coming out. If you go into the freezer section, there's yoga varieties of this, and a number of plant based alternatives to ice cream. So I think in line with food processing, they will continue to expand and grow. But I'm a little bit like you. I'm not a natural ice cream eater. In general. It's not my go to, and if I'm with the kids having a more indulgent cone, I'd much rather that indulgent cookies and cream occasionally. But I do see a group of my clients who are very calorie conscious and like to have something like this that's particularly sweet at night. And indeed it is much lower in calories than the average treat, so if they can use it, it can fit in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely think it has a time and a place, and I do like that they have a sense of range of flavors as you mentioned. And I'm not a birthday cake girl. I'm absolutely a chop chip cookie dough kind of girl. But as I said, you know, I think I'd rather the extra couple of hundred calories and eat the normal ice cream. Just for me, the mouse feel and the after taste of the artificial sweetness in there, I just I can't get past that. But that's just me, you know. As you said, of it's something that people genuinely really enjoy and the happy to pay the cost of it, then yeah, it can be I guess, a slightly healthy alternative from a calorie perspective than some of the other ice creams on market as well, but good to have a discussion about it.
Speaker 1: And I don't love any of my clients having any of those tubes of ice cream at home, because let's be honest, if you buy Ben and Jerry's, which is not dissimilar price all size, it is like twenty to thirty percent fat, it is really high in sugar, and who's not eating that entire little tub? So I think it's much better a product in general to keep dessert tubs out of the household, and then when you are going to really indulge, do it that way rather than have them as part of the routine shop each week. Because if it's in the house, of course you can eat it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, take the kids out for gelato at the beach in the middle of summer, you know once a month is probably a better habit than you're consistently buying tubs of ice cream every single week. If the goal is sort of bat lost, if the goal is weight to gain in your Malinois, then go for gold. I think it's an easy way to get calories in through ice cream. I'd definitely be supportive of that for a lot of my clients suffering with malnutrition.
Speaker 2: Well, gelato is good because of the portions. This is why I like it because when you go to the.
Speaker 1: Gelato shop, you have the little cup, which is what it's supposed to be, as opposed to the enormous clones that have got you know this waif that chucked in them and dipped in this and added that. So I think from a food enjoyment perspective and portion controlled gelato is a smart choice for kids and adults because it's then or served in the portions as it should be.
Speaker 3: Definitely. And then finally, Susie, our listener question of the week was around walking in steps. So we get asked this question quite a lot, and I think the gold standard has now become you know, we should be aiming for ten thousand steps a day. People get a little bit confused around that because often you know, as dietesians, we shorten that and say aim for ten k steps a day, and people say ten kilometers. So let me clarify, it's ten thousand steps a day is the average of what we I guess as health professionals would recommend. But you know, how many steps should we be taking each day for fat loss and for weight control? And I think the bottom line here is Susie, that it really depends on your baseline, and it really depends on how active you are day to day. If you are someone that is a PE teacher or like a you know, a physical education sport teacher and you spend all day in your feet, or you're a PT who's constantly tracing after clients in the gym all day and during your lunch break you get a bit bored, so then you go for a little walk on the treadmill. Your job is very different to somebody who sits down at a desk job for eight or nine hours a day. So I think for a lot of my clients, you know, they are those sort of corporate workers of those desktoms. Worker is you know, they do a forty five minute hit session three four times a week. Sadly it's not enough. You know. They always come to me and they say, you know, and I'm signing up to you because my exercise is great. I do enough, I do, you know, three or four forty five sessions a week, it's it's my nutrition that scrap, and that may be true. But also I think there's a lot of room in terms of exercise for a lot of people when it comes to steps, because steps is something that's significantly underrated from a fat loss perspective. But I really do think it depends on your baseline. If you're someone who averages I don't know, two three k steps, which is quite normal for a death worker, then just increasing that to five thousand, you know a day on average, is going to do you significant benefit versus trying to aim for ten thousand, which just isn't realistic and you're never going to achieve it, so you don't do it anyway, So it's like you just stay at two thousand. So I think just raising your baseline or you know, my modo has always been just that ten percent better. Just doing a little bit more or a little bit more each day or each week or each month is really going to serve you much better than aiming for this gold standard number, which feels really overwhelming for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: I think that it's good to know that the rationale for ten thousand steps per day was not based on an exercise prescription as opposed to reminding people that in our incredibly inactive lifestyles, and even more so now that we're spending a lot of us a lot more time at home, that's just a basic amount of movement a human body should be doing on a day to day basis. So I don't count that as exercise. And often if I'm starting with a client and I have a look at their pedometer, which may just be on their phone, and they're doing two or three thousand steps per day, I'll describe to them that that is one of the biggest issues is that their body is moving so little through the day. It's not getting through their food, let alone getting into fat stores. So as a reference point, between eight thousand to ten thousand steps a day is the bare minimum human body should ideally move to keep them relatively weight stable. If the goal is weight loss, you then have to do a whole lot more, and that can come as a big shock. And indeed, like you, I would grade clients up very very slowly, as opposed to go from two thousand a day to sixteen thousand a day. But over time, the goal is to just reintroduce activity into a very sedentary lifestyle, and so as a starting point, I'll encourage clients to not go for any longer than two hours a day sitting before they make an active attempt to do some movement, particularly after eating. It aids digestion and insulin regulation to be moving after you eat rather than sitting down in front.
Speaker 2: Of the couch.
Speaker 1: And the other thing that is a powerful predictor of increasing movement is just monitoring your steps. The research shows you do at least two thousand more each day when you're mindful of it, So keeping an eye on how much you're moving. So the other way I describe it for clients is if you want to lose weight, we need to do at least ten thousand steps per day, plus either some cardio training or if you're not that way inclined, you're going to have to get the steps right up to about sixteen thousand. Now that's just anecdotal reports in my own experience, but it's because in Australia we're particularly inactive. If you live in cities London, New York, people are doing twenty thirty thousand steps per day because that is part of the commute and that is part of their lifestyle. Don't forget how inactive we are here. We drive everywhere, we tend to park right outside the shops. We live in big suburbs, so we're not doing strip shopping anymore. All those factors really impact and the same at the moment with many of us not doing a commute as part of our day. So often people will be getting to five six thousand just by getting to work and getting on the train and getting off the bus. And if you're not doing that any day, we really at the moment we really have to look for ways to reintroduce it. So the first thing I would say is start to monitor. You don't have to go and by an expensive monitoring watch, although you can, because that's great.
Speaker 2: It's always on you.
Speaker 1: But as a starting point, just carrying your phone a little bit or having it in your handbag. We'll give you a very rough idea of how much you're doing, and then just try and gradually increase it. And do some amount of walking in the morning, even ten to fifteen minutes, maybe some after lunch, and then maybe some late afternoon or after dinner, and just gradually over time, try and increase it. And that is just basic health requirements for your body. Then on top of that, it's separate if the goal is actually weight loss, so it's a progression. But I think we can be quite honest in a conversation about steps to say that a lot of us are severely inactive, and that is a big reason why a lot of us struggle with our weight.
Speaker 2: And once we look at.
Speaker 1: Activity as a minimum what we need to do to keep our body healthy and look at exercise separately, that's often when we strike the right balance between movement, higher intensity activity to get our heart rates up and our muscles more sensitive and calorie control. And that's often the missing link for a lot of us is that we're just a lot more inactive than we need to be.
Speaker 3: And it's a really important point you mentioned. It's just a general health guideline is ten thousand steps a day because thinking about my grandma, like I remember what she told me. She used to walk, I think it was six kilometers to school every day and then six kilometers back, and then she'd come home and she'd help, you know, my great grandma or whatever it was, her mum around the house. And you know, on the weekends they'd be all out and being active, and like it was crazy. They didn't have cars. They walked absolutely everywhere a lot of times out you know, great grandparents grew up on farms and like, they were just so incredibly active. So you're right, but I think that hearing something like you know, you need to do sixteen thousand steps of fat loss is very, very overwhelming. So I actually find that my clients get the most benefit just from ten thousand steps with three to four exercise sessions on top of that a week, so three to four times of hit training or strength training or some sort of you know, gym workouts, plus getting those daily steps in every day. And it doesn't have to be ten thousand every day because to achieve ten thousand steps, if you have a desk job like myself, Susie, that's about an hour and a half of walking. So I will generally hit my standards about two thousand a day. Like with my desk job, with working from my computer, being on my phone most of the day, I'll start most of my days with a walk. It'll take me about an hour twenty minutes. I'll clock around eight thousand steps. I'll get the other sort of two two and a half thousand throughout my day, and then I'll go to the gym during pregnancy two three times a week. Usually sort of aim about four sessions on a good week, five sessions a week, and that for myself works really well and for the majority of my clients works really well. But I think it's important to note that we can average that ten thousand steps out across the week. So if during Monday to Friday you're getting five seven thousand, then Saturday Sunday you're getting like fifteen thousand up to twenty thousand, that's wonderful and that average really does count as well. It doesn't have to be ten thousand every single day. I think, just like our calorie intake, it's sort of based on an average of what we're doing across the week, So I think that that helps to be a little bit less overwhelming. But I really like how you mentioned like try to get fifteen minutes of walking in around breakfast, fifteen minutes around lunch, and fifteen minutes around dinner. And if you are a desk you know worker, utilize some strategies like get one of those headsets. If you spend a lot of time on the phone on conference calls or waiting for clients or waiting for people to call you back. Get one of those headsets and pace up and down the corridors at work, or do some laps of your house, or go outside and the fresh air and your lunch break and just the act of going outside, or get you you know, a couple hundred steps anyway, So find ways to get that movement in in terms of we call that incidental exercise, don't we, Susie, So park in the furthest car park away when you go to the supermarket, take the stairs wherever you can. You know, things like airports. I always laugh when I see people get on those travelators at airports. Honestly, not that anyone's been there at airport in the last two years, but you know they always catch the travelator. I love going to the airport because I had two thousand steps in. Whenever I go to the airport, I don't sit there at the gate and wait for my flight. I'm like lapping around doing some window shopping. I avoid the travel laders like the plague. I always take the stairs, even with my suitcase. Probably wouldn't do it while I was pregnant, to be fair, but you know, usually like I see airports, there's a great way to hit my ten twenty thousand steps a day. Traveling holidays, that sort of thing. Love being active, hiking, exploring new places. So I think, just find that opportunity within your day to day life. Even when I'm doing my shopping, suitsie or the aisles have different things. If I'm you know, in Aisle seven, and I'm like, oh crap, I forgot the tin tomatoes two aisles back, I'll go when i'll finish my shopping, you know, across the ten or twelve aisles. Then I'll go all the way back through the different aisles, just to get more steps in. On a Sunday, when I do my meal prep and my shopping, my grocery shopping, go to the farmer's markets, go to the supermarket. I reckon I can easily get ten thousand steps without any walking in because that's just me being super active that day, walking throughout the shopping center, the shops, the farmers' markets, and then across my kitchen for two plus hours while I'm doing my meal prep. So I think, as much as possible, try to include those steps as part of your incidental activity and you won't notice. I guess how much time it takes up as such.
Speaker 1: And we definitely know that on Sunday mornings, we've got a lot of nutrition couch listeners who wait to do their walk till our episode drop.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I shout out to all of you who are walking out.
Speaker 1: But I guess just to wrap that up, because we could again talk about steps for a long time.
Speaker 2: Is the other thing is.
Speaker 1: If you don't move a lot, I would not start and try and hit really high targets because you don't want to get an injury. So grade up slowly so there's nothing worse than hurting your knee or your ankle because you're not used to walking and suddenly you want to go and try and do twelve thousand steps per day. So grade up gradually so you get a training response, because we're definitely not encouraging you to go and flog yourself and get a terrible injury. So grade up slowly and look after your body and listen to it. If you're feeling a bit sore on the hips or the knees, just take it easy until your body gets used to that increase in movement. But over time, just by having this conversation you'll see you significant increase your movement and that's only a good thing when it comes to metabolism and weight controllers.
Speaker 2: We all get a little bit older.
Speaker 3: So quickly, just before we wrap up, Susie, let me introduct quickly and say slip slops up. In Australia, we're heading into the warmer month. We got up at six o'clock this morning to did our walk and by the time we probably didn't make it out till six thirty and a bit slow to get started in the mornings these days. But by the time we got back at eight it was hot, hot, hot, and David was like put some sunscreen on and he like slathered me up and I'm so grateful that he did because it was so hot. So just reminded that everyone gets your suns screen in if you're doing more than sort of fifteen twenty minutes out in the sunshine, get a hat on, put some sunny's on. It is sort of getting into that magpie season, so particularly in Australia, protect yourself, protect your eyes, get your sunny's on, get your hat on, get your sun's green on and pop a good poddy in and give it a listen. And go for a long walk on the weekend, particularly outside of that peak UV sort of rays within the midday sun. Try to do very early morning or a lot later at night, and you'll be protected a little bit better from the sun.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying to that is there's nothing worse than Queensland as this there showing off about their sun. Anyway, that does bring us to the end of the Nutrition Gouts another week. If you haven't done so already, don't forget to subscribe to have us delivered to your inbox every Sunday morning. And we are really trying hard to get our reviews up there because that really helps our rating in the Apple podcast charts. So if you have a second on your iPhone to just pop in a little review of the Nutrition Couch, we would be so grateful. We have our Instagram and Facebook sites running for any feedback or your questions, and it is at the Nutrition Couch podcast and we're going to see you same time, same place next Sunday.
Speaker 2: Have a great week.
Speaker 1: Touch you guys next week.