Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast Last Petline. Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in Australian television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services today. On the podcast, I have a TV presenter, actor, entrepreneur and jack of all trades. It is the host of The Real Love Boat, Darren McMullen. The original TV series The Love Boat was a huge hit around the world with fictitious characters falling in love. But now it is a reality show like we've never seen before. The contestants are raw, a little unpolished, and ready to find love on a cruise ship sailing around the Meridian. I think the show might be a slow burn to begin with, but as the ship sets sail, I guarantee the viewers will be shocked as the show ventures into territories we have yet to see on a dating show before. I will ask Darren why he said yes to the show, what he thinks of the contestants, how this show is different, and what we can expect from this format as it gets deep within the minds of young singles desperate to find love. However, let's get started with today's guest. I'd like to welcome Darren McMullen to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: We created something that was quite different. Welcome to the Real Love Boat. We don't just need a standard host, we need a host that can be cheeky. Thirteen singles are vot to and bark on the Ultimate Search for Love. Channel ten and Paramount are really really getting behind this show. They want this to be a big success.
Speaker 1: Will they find a match and have their happily Ever?
Speaker 2: After all the guys on the show are beautiful, lovely, vulnerable man. No one ever said true love would be easy. Look, it is a pretty open shows to say we're breaking that fourth wall. It's something like we're all pretty keen to do.
Speaker 1: Hi, Darren, great to have you on the podcast.
Speaker 2: What a voice? I mean, you've really missed your calling, haven't you. You should have been like a sexphone operator or something. Hi, Darren, how are you? I mean, it's first thing in the morning, and I don't usually get horny in the morning, but that made me a little bit horny. That was nice, right, Yeah, I do. I'm a complete narcissist. I have to open up some windows in here. It's getting steamy.
Speaker 1: Are you excited to finally show us your latest holiday in Europe?
Speaker 2: I'm glad you clarified that. Are you excited to finally show us, with a very weird pause, your latest holiday in Europe? Yes, I am excited to show you my latest holiday in Europe, although we don't call it that. We don't call it a holiday. Because the Channel ten knew it was a holiday, then they probably would get me to do it for free. It was very hard work. It's very very hard, strenuous work, seeing the Mediterranean, you know, and all these awful locations like you know, Tuscany and Rome and the Greek Islands and Barcelona, and it was horrendous. But it's that's why they pay me the medium bucks, because I do the hard work. So I am looking forward to everybody seeing it. I think we created something that was quite different and special and something I've certainly never seen on TV before. We kind of make fun of ourselves. We lean into the nostalgic cheese of the original series, and we break the fourth wall a lot and kind of invite the audience in to laugh with us a lot. I go eight shit at the contestants constantly. I hope they lieve all that in because I've never seen a host of that before. And yeah, amongst it all, there is the drama and the love triangles and the backstabbing and the partners swapping an ant. We even have love blossoming. So I think ultimately it's got all the pieces there to be a phenomenal show, and I hope that comes together well in the edit.
Speaker 1: Well, the concept to me is really hilarious because I don't want to say show my age, but you know, as a huge Aaron Spelling fan back in the day, how much do you guys really lean into the whole love boat theme?
Speaker 2: Well, funny, you should mention the love boat theme because I actually sing the love boat theme song in this and that is available to donal kids on Spotify are all great retailers now, so make sure you do that. I wanted to run a Christmas number one, but yeah, we do. We have the captain character who's called Paolo Captain Poolo, who's an absolute dream boat. He was going to be cast, but we met the actual captain of the ship and he was so dreaming and sexy and camer ready that I think all the producers thought, no, no, this is the guy. He's the actual captain of the ship and he's fantastic. How could you cast better than that? And he actually has a great connection with the Love By himself. His grandfather was the chef on the original Love Boa TV series way back when, so so that that was great. And then we've got Hannah Ferrier from Below Deck, which is my guilty pleasure. I love that show. We have Daniel Judy as a head of entertainment. So we have this cast of characters that are kind of meddling in the relationships and helping them kind of find love and putting people in the right situations and all that kind of stuff. And we have the captain and we have these singles looking for Love, and I think the producers did a very good job of kind of weeding out the insta famous wannabes, you know, and actually got some people that truly were looking to find a long term partner and maybe had some issues in the past with different relationships, and they were beyond that part of the life. And I think when you see the cast of characters, they're not your quintessential reality TV show folks. They're not all Jim junkies with the six packs and the you know, the bowtux and all the rest of that. They've done that not to say our cast is ugly. Sorry cast if you're listening, But I'm just saying they're average Australians. You know, their every day is average. Even sounds like I'm saying they're they're every day Australian, which I think is good because you know, when you see these people on these other shows and all tat it up with a you know, like eight pack and the whole bit, you know, all these people are the same. This isn't real. But you know, I think we've done a good job of finding some real strat real Aussi's mate for the real Love Boat.
Speaker 1: It is the point of difference to the show if you ask me. And we'll get into that in a minute, but I just want to say with Hannah and Duty, they're kind of like peeping toms on the boat, you know, like they're always sort of standing in the background, just watching over what's happening. Do you think that they'd be offended for me to be referring to them as peeping toms?
Speaker 2: Oh, they're not just like that. On the boat, I was constantly looking over, and you know, even off the show and finding duty creeping around the corner and watching me. So, I mean it was he was well cast for it. I think, you know, a bit of life. They've imitating art or art imitating life. There's a couple of weird scenes, isn't there. I know what you're talking about because I have seen the first couple of episodes in there, like coming up from behind plant bushes and stuff, staring at these people. But yeah, I don't think they'd be offended by that. I think it'll I think that's one of the parts that kind of leans into the kind of cheesiness and makes fun of itself a bit, you know, like it's kind of tongue in cheek when they're doing that. I mean, they're there for a very real reason. I probably will put them in a video village somewhere and had them watching actual cameras as opposed to like creeping around the boat and hiding behind bushes. But I think, you know, that's a little bit of a tongue in cheek nod to the original TV series where that was going on all the time.
Speaker 1: You know, well, in the original TV series, you know of the love, but the captain the event plans, they sometimes got involved in the drama. Can we can we expect you guys to getting involved in the drama that happens throughout the series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we have a great section of the show called Captain's Table, So basically the singles taken in turns both male and female of coming in there and sitting around the table and pitching to go on one of the destination days for any port we go to. There's only three destination dates to be one, so they can go beautiful car ride through Tuscany or make wine or you know, they're off to the Greek Islands or whatever it is. So they have to come in and, you know, pitch for why their connection with their partner is the best and why they deserve to go. So I'd just come straight off Celebrity Apprentice, and I think I was probably channeling a lot of that Lord's sugar energy. And I was just going through these people like I don't believe a word you say. I don't even think you believe your own bullshit, man, And it really shook them up a bit, you know, But we got some great, great things because sometimes what happens, especially people are new to TV or whatever else, they kind of get in this autopilot just kept saying the same soundbites over and over again, and maybe like playing into stuff they think you want to hear. And I think sometimes if you can just kind of shake that out of them with some direct chat, you get some really good stuff. So I'm hoping they leave a lot of that in And yeah, and Hannah gets pretty fiery in there as well, and then Perdudi's in there basically to pick up the pieces. It was like good cop, bad cop. He's just so lovely and they need him in there to kind of balance my assholeery a bit. He's you know, like he's topping them off the ledge once I've g them all up. So it's a great little dynamic. We need a little dooty in there. There's the comfort blanket and to yeah, get them all feeling nice. And happy after Hannah and I oprated them for a couple of hours. Can you hear that drilling?
Speaker 1: Way? Thank God, I'm actually running. I went unplugged this so that I could run you through a different system to drown out any background noise that but we both have, so you sound amazing, like the best sound.
Speaker 2: God, I've got drilling, and I've got a leaf blower, and then you know some guy with a whipper snapper. Fuck's sake, you know.
Speaker 1: I lived in Melbourne in a suburb called Turek, which sounds really fancy when it's not. The worst thing about living in a fancy suburb is that everyone has their own gardener and they all have a leaf blower. And I'm a podcaster, so there's just me out the window of my apartment, you know, every day week swearing at these people. Shut the fuck up podcasting, you know, which makes me sound like the biggest loser in the world.
Speaker 2: These neighbors of mine, they have gardeners in four times a week. What they do I don't know, Like I think what happens is they blow the leaves into the next door neighbors garden and then their guy comes in and they blow them back in So it's this little scam that got going on just to kind of keep business. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember once I said, I'm actually doing a live cross to a TV network and the gardener said to me, which TV network? And I said which TV network? And he said, oh, their garbage, don't worry about.
Speaker 2: It, and which network? Which network? Was it?
Speaker 1: Well, it's just rude for me to put that into the podcast, but I think it's still the joke still lands down, The joke still lands. Everyone can use their imagination. Anyway. We're getting back into the love boat, the real love boat.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: What I thought was really interesting is this kind of is a little bit like Love Island, Old Maths, The Bachelor, and now there's Heartbreak Island. There's so many dating shows, but I wanted to ask you, what do you think is the major difference of this show to them? And what do you make of the comparisons.
Speaker 2: Well, that was how it was bitch to me. So when I initially was approached to do it, I went, it's weird and I don't know because I wasn't. I wasn't. I wasn't aware there was a show called the love But back in the day, but that was about it. We didn't watch that in Scotland. I think it was very big in Australia. It was very big in the US. Well, it was so big in Australia. Actually they shot a whole episode here. They came over here for a week and shot a bunch of episodes and actually put Cruising on the map here. I think because of that show, a lot of people in Australia caught the bug for Cruising. But I just like the sense a bit weird. I don't know if I want to do this. And I looked it up online and I saw Eureka Productions were doing it, and I know those guys really well. So I called Chris Coldner and I knew he was the kind of the brains behind it, and he's a genius. He's praised so many phenomenal shows, you know, like Holy Moly and Frogger and The Chef's Line. I mean, they do they just they just do everything that's you If you guys are killing it, the luck's listing, So I know they know how to make a great show. And I said, mate, run me through this, because you know I'm going to pass on this. But I saw your name attached, and you don't really make ship television, So give me the elevator pitch, and he did. He gave me a phenomenal pitches. It's going to be brilliant, it's gonna be phenomenal. We're like leaning into the old seventies show. We need a host that is not We don't just need a standard house. We need a host that can be cheeky, funny, a reverend, take the piss out of himself and the contestants, and but get the business done as well. And you're the guy, like, we'd love to have you on it, and he essentially said the same thing. It was kind of like it was, Oh, Hannah, Fario is calling me. Stop annoying me, Hannah, I'm on I'm on a podcast. He said. It's like it's like Love Island meets Below Deck and Below Decks probably the only reality show I watch, you know, like it's my guilty pleasure. And during COVID especially, it was fantastic to watch that, not just for the drama and all the salacious stuff that happens on that show, but because they're going to these beautiful destinations all round the world, and it was kind of like living the cares through them and just throffing on the opportunity to travel again one day. And I hope people get that from this as well, because we're going to all these beautiful destinations around the world and you get to see that aspect of it as well as the love and the drama. And then it ensues. But yeah, so he really sold it to me, and he said, you know it's going to be it's going to be incredible show. CBS are picked up Channel ten and Paramount are really really getting behind this show. They want this to be a big success. And I think it's going to be. You're going to be the right guy for the job. And he says, your bloody's sailing the Mediterranean for a month anyway, so stop being an idiot. Do the show. And I was like, yeah, you're right, but I don't think. I mean, I think we know the show on paper. It was like, all right, yeah, cool, it's a Dani's show and it's on a ship s leaning into the love boat. Yet cool whatever, And then they had the beats of you know, like normal dating shows where people go on dates, they get on, they don't get on, and people are eliminated. But what actually happened in the reality of being there. The show took on a life of its own, which is a great thing when you're doing a first season or something. You know, so many times nowadays, people especially in Australia, they're just not taking those risks on new formats. It's like, well, unless this show was a success and you know three other regions, we're not going to take a punt on that. So then you end up doing the same shows over and over and over and over again, and rehashing old shows that you know went away ten years ago and going, oh, well that's that's we'll just bring that back even though it work ten years ago, rather than you know, picking up some of these phenomenal new ideas that young creators have. And maybe if they picked up more ideas that the young creators have, they would appeal more to the young people, and young people would actually start watching television again instead of like getting television hits elsewhere streaming services and whatnot. But they rehashed the old shows. But this is I mean, this is one of the first shows I can remember in a long time that was straight off the paper in Australia's that you know, the first one is doing this, having a crack at this show and trying to make it a hit. So yeah, back to what I was saying is, you know, it became, it took on a life of its own and organically changed into a whole other show that none of us expected. You know, it does have elements of maps, and it does have elements of Love Island in it, and Below Deck and travel shows as well. You're getting all that, but you know all the other drama that unpacked between the contestants and then that Captain's table when we get a chance to really grill them and put them through their paces and make them sing for their supper. It was just like it was really good stuff, really good stuff. And I hope that comes together in an edit. Obviously you should so much content on these shows, and then you've got it all down to like an hour worth of television. So I hope it comes across. I've seen the first couple of episodes, and I think we do stay true to that. We do. We do keep in the irreverence, We keep in things that would normally get shaped out of reality shows, like the warts and all. We leave that in. We leave in mistakes, We leave in silly things and break that fourth wall and kind of, you know, give that little nod and a wink to the audience at home, like we're letting them on the joke as well. And I think that's all important. I think while a lot of younger people are turning away from television and getting their media elsewhere, is because of the authenticity of it. I think people crave off authenticity, man. And you know, when people are just doing raw TikTok or Instagram videos, there's no glitz and glam to that, and people really identify with that. And although this is a sexy show, we've taken out some of that polish that you would normally get on these kind of shows and left it a bit gritty. And I think that's going to appeal to the younger demographic because it's real and it's honest and it's raw and it's keeping its integrity.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope that people stick around because you know, I'm going to be really honest about it. And you know, I'm so nervous watching this series, and the first episode is quite long, and I kind of wish that you got to the boat faster. I was like, why are we going to the villa. We need to get to the boat, like that's the whole thing is about the boat. And then for me, the show lifts at episode two because that's rightly when it says to you who this show is going to be. And I think that's where we are really seeing some things that are really different. I mean, I rewound a part of it back because I think you managed to tackle I think you managed to give us the first real example of bisexual people on a dating show, you know, which is hard to do because bisexual men probably have the hardest job in getting mainstream media to understand them. The way in which that it was handled was it just subtenly was slipped in there, and it gives us something new to digest. You know, how are they going to do this? This is a really hard topic, but for some reason the producers are going to try and tackle it. And that's where for me, your point of difference comes out, where it's like, oh, this is going to be really uncomfortable as well as being familiar. And I think that's the magic of this show and I hope that's when people will give it a chance.
Speaker 2: Well that's I mean, and that's the genius of Emma Lamb as well. So Emma Lamb, who executive produced a lot of Masks and the rest of it. She and she and I are very much on the same page of that, as like, some of the best television you get and can get off people is when you're just really comfortable in uncomfortable situations. And I've worked very hard over my career to be at that point where I can I can just let I can just sit quietly and let it unplay, and I'm very comfortable in uncomfortable silences, and that's when you get some really really great stuff. So, yeah, the show is uncomfortable, but it's real, you know, like all that stuff played out like it played out. It's so fun, Like don't you talk to me? I mean, it's even so many radio interviews that I'm like, yes, But it's all scripted. There's a reality TV script, Like reality TV is very rarely scripted, like actuals, like like we're handing out scripts to these people and saying this is your line, and then you say this, and then he's going to say that. That never happens, like unless you're talking about the hills or something like that. Yeah, there's like there's definitely manipulation of real people in some shows to bring out the worst of them. But I think the people you see on these shows that become the villains become the villains because they're actually assholes in the real life, and they do a great job of kind of keeping the asshole hidden for the for the a few weeks. A bit like when you're in a new relationship, right, you don't really find out who you're dating until after that three month mark and you're like, oh shit, what happening here? You're so nice? Now you let that wall down. But the reason these producers try and manipulate the situations is because you've got these people for just a matter of weeks instead of a matter of months, so they've got to get to the grip a lot sooner. So yeah, I mean there was very little. In fact, there was none, and this show will say like, this was a show where these people were just left to be themselves, putting these situations on a boat and left, you know, to go on the dates. And we just sat back and were flying the wall, and we were very comfortable just sitting in uncomfortable scenes and letting them play out rather than getting in and meddling with them. Just let it play out. I mean, that's life, and that's that's hopefully why the authenticity will come across. I agree with you. I hope people stick around. I will even say, like, because I mean narrating all these episodes, so I would say six, seven, and eight are actually I think, phenomenal bits of television. And that's when the show really pops from me. It's actually later episodes. I think by that time, you know the cast of characters, you're invested in them two. But the drama that kicks off in six and it plays out all the way through like three episodes and just creates this domino effect on this ship where every trapped is brilliant television. And it's one of those shows. Unfortunately, you know, if you shot I don't know, if you shot like say a big music quiz like I did, and all the rest of it, you shoot a whole bunch of episodes, and then you have the opportunity to kind of cut in and decide what your strongest episode is and you can put that first, and your second best episode will go second, third, all the way down to the end, and then your last couple episodes probably what you consider the weekends. Unfortunately, because of the story line of this show, you have to play it out how it played out. Yeah, I would say, you know, first couple of episodes, everyone's getting to know each other, learning about you know, who they are, and they've got those walls up still you haven't really they forgot about the cameras. And then as you get into it just keeps getting better and better and better. And it's and six as I say, six, seven and eight are just phenomenal bits of television. So I hope it's something people stick with or you know, even binge later and go through the whole thing and it gets good.
Speaker 1: They're willing to take it to a different level. I mean, do you think this is the most open minded group of contestants we've seen on an Australian dating.
Speaker 2: Show and say one hundred percent. And again that comes down to all the producers and then really sifting through all the riff raff and the people that generally auditioned to be on these shows to get some really great and different cast of characters. There, I'd say, another big thing that changes the whole Like so usually in a dating show you have very little interaction with the hosts or people on the show, right, like they rock up to give you a challenge, rock up to kick you out. So the hosts aren't really involved either. But I'm on a ship like there's nothing else to do, right, So I'm sitting I'm watching every day on play and really like over what's going on on that ship. So I know when I'm going in, I'm interacting with them at all these elimination ceremonies and all the rest of it, which we call the test of ceremony. I know what's happened on every date, so I can can dig into it and if they pick up, if they say something and I don't quite believe, I can jump into that. And the Captain's table was great for that because you've got me hand and Diddy like really grilling these people of why they deserve to be on these date. What is it that you've found with this person, and why do you think this connection is real? And I was quite vulnerable in those in that room too, because I made a decision Earlier's like, listen, if I go in there as a host and not as one of them, then they'll close up and they'll get into TV email. But if I go in there and I'm open and I'm vulnerable, and I talk about my mistakes and relationships I've made and all the things that I've learned about and great relationships I've had, bad relationships I've had, and I put all my dirty laundry out there. Then they feel comfortable in doing the same. There's something quite beautiful, especially when we had the guys in there, you know, because Australian men a bit like British men, we have this ridiculous stigma like that we try and live up to, like you have to be match showing eyes, don't cry, and guys don't have emotions, and guys shouldn't have the therapists. You just have a being make get on with it. You know, she'll be right. All that can attitude. Yet we're living in a country with the highest rate of males SUSAE almost in the world, this beautiful country. So we're not doing something right to a young boy. And I think when the more we can show like big burly man on television, crying, breaking down, being emotional, being real, I think the better it is for a society and maybe hopefully people out there watching that going oh wow, that's really that's really beautiful, you know, not like I'm not gonna pussy. Why crying that bullshit has to stop. All the guys on the show are beautiful, lovely, vulnerable men, and they really are open up over those captain's tables. There's a couple of assholes in there too, not saying that there's definitely assholes in there as well.
Speaker 1: The first hair toss of the series goes to one of the blokes. I don't know if you picked that up, but I think it was Patty and you know, walk off hair toss was him because he had, you know, this beautiful hair that I guess looked like Leonardo DiCaprio and Titanic, which we had inte of seen that hair in a while. But I love that it was the men that sort of walked off like that. You know, it allow us to go, Okay, this is going to be a different show, and you know what's interesting. And I know a lot of people a going to talk about how attractive these men are because when you first see them, you're like, they look like the last six blokes at three am at a nightclub when they first turn up. And I could be rude by saying that However, as you watch the show, they become more I don't know, maybe that's what it's like being at a pub at three am, but they be more attractive as the show goes on. Like to start off with was like that one not attractive, but then now I'm watching it and I'm like, he's hot. It's it's very strange, it's a very surreal experience.
Speaker 2: Is that it could be like that what I call SBS, you know, like showbag syndrome. You could be suffering from that, you know, and you know when you're when you're trapped at an Easter show and you go into one of those those rooms at the Easter show and you literally have a whole warehouse of showbacks. There's this bag after bag after bag of shit. So all of a sudden, when you get this bag for twenty five dollars and you think you've got the deal of the century on this bag, and then you get it home away from that environment and you empty it on the floor and you realize, holy shit, I just paid twenty five dollars for an old TV week magazine, a red skin and a couple of like plastic toys. I've been absolutely had here, But in the environment when you're stuck in there, it seemed like a great deal, seems sexy.
Speaker 1: Also think it's amazing because we've been sold the ridiculously handsome before and it's never pays out, you know, where this is something where you are getting to know people and you are actually starting to have a real connection with them. When you're watching people who just look pretty, you don't have any substance behind you. For me, it's not the trade off, it's the reason why people are turning away. These genuinely look like people who are your mates. They genuinely look like people you do know in the real world, and I think that's the selling point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is, actually is There are a lot of deep characters there, and they're they're not afraid to kind of put the heart on the line and and talk about their past experiences with relationships and why it didn't work and maybe own the mistakes they've made as well. There is a couple of the other types as well, and they stand out pretty quickly, and maybe that's why actually, to your point, maybe that's why they are so confronting those other types, because it just seems so out of place on this show when you've got other people like going really deep and trying to to form real connections with people. The muscle Mareyas of the world. They don't really they seem very out of place.
Speaker 1: We all get drawn to that, don't get me wrong, Like you'd be the same. You know, a good looking person is a good looking person. You're going to immediately be drawn to it. You're gonna want to throw yourself at it. But we all know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, I mean, it's just I don't want to sound like an asshager, but I don't really think like I think they're all lovely people, but there was like there was no one on that show. I don't think that. I'll mean, oh my god, I mean they're like fucking they're in a dahnas. Look at that guy, Like, holy shit, didn't I didn't feel that at fall on that. I thought we did a great job of actually getting a really great cross section of Australians like youah, like real people.
Speaker 1: No, No, absolutely not, Like that's the best thing about the show is what I'm saying to you, Like, and I'm not saying they're ugly either, and I'm not saying they're the best looking people I'm just saying, they genuinely are the people that we have in our real world. Like, and I find, you know, them saying things on the show and I'm like, don't say that. Don't say that, you know, oh god, that's something I would say. And that's the magic of television is when we can relate to you know. That's where television needs to lift at the moment, is that we need to be seen and we aren't being seen if we're just watching Muscle Mary's Date girls that all look the same because they've been to the same plastic surgeon. Like, it's just not relatable anymore. I mean, it's I think they thought it was aspirational for us all to be going, oh, I want to be on Instagram. I want to be insta famous. But it's not the magic of television and it never has.
Speaker 2: Been if you ask me, no, it's a It's funny, isn't it. Like everybody on TikTok and Instagram wants to be doing movies and television and everybody on television because we don't get paid that kind of money. And he was like, fuck, don't want to be on TikTok and Instagram. These kids are making a fortune. But you're right, like to pick up your point too, you do. Actually, they do become more attractive as they go on, for sure, because there's either like there definitely is people that you're like, oh yeah, whatever, and then as you get to know the personality and see everything on Oh my god, I got a man crush on this guy. This guy is amazing. He sings too, he's a hit and he sings and he looks like that, and he's a swaggy dresser and he's really deep and he's emotionally intelligent. Fucking hell, sign me up.
Speaker 1: And then there was this woman. At the start of the first episode, I'm like, oh god, she's not going to get picked or she reminds me of my best friend Kathy. Oh she's not going to get picked. And then two or three episodes in, I'm like, I only like the Kathy woman, like she is. She's the only what I'm rooting for, you know what I mean. So it's amazing that if you if you're willing to be taken on a journey with a real love boat, I hope people do it. We are kind of running out, a little running out of time here, a little bit just to go back to your point on being on Celebrity Apprentice, Has that changed the way in which you see reality television now that you've been a contestant.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I was always aware of what happened on the other side of things. You know, I did the voice for so many years. What I felt was quite interesting with Celebrity Apprentice is you've got people who've worked in the industry for years. There. You know, you've been to colossal or like award winning actress. You've got ari award winning singers and motivacial speakers and you know rugby league legends. I was an actor in a TV host, you know, like, you know, people who are very familiar with this industry. Yet like a couple of the producers on that, I think we're very green and probably had come off shows where they'd been working with people that never been on television before and probably just wanted to be famous. Whereas we were on there, we've all got industries in our own, our own right. When they speak to you like a certain way, it was like, mate, don't speak to me like that. Who the fuck do you think you are? Like, you're barely out of high school and I've been doing this for eighteen years. I know how television works, and I know what you're trying to do, and I know what you're trying to manipulate out of me, and I'm not going to fucking say that for your sound grab. So I did get really frustrated with some of the younger producers on that, and that did give me a bit of an insight into perhaps how they acted on other shows as well, and how other people might have fallen for that had they not been television wide exactly.
Speaker 1: Know, you know, everyone who joins the podcast, ask them a question, what's something from behind the scenes that we won't say because it will never be shown on television, like a behind the scenes sacred from your time on the Real Love Boat.
Speaker 2: You know what. Like I've actually pushed for a lot of the behind the scenes stuff to get put back in, and they're doing that. I mean, everyone's on the same page for that. So there is a lot of stuff that goes back in, like needing an attacked by a monkey in the middle of a link and all that kind of stuff in Tibolta, just like you know, Katie saying the wrong name and all that kind of really rid stuff. We did Leaven and all the other stuff that isn't left in. I've actually asked Digital to send it to me and I'll will put it on Digital or we'll put it on my Instagram. So look, it is a pretty open show. As I say, we're breaking that fourth wall. It's something that we were all pretty keen to do and welcoming that audience in. And Stephen Taate Channel ten is all over the show's phenomenal as well. He's all about that too, and he's very excited about this show and how different it is from other things have done.
Speaker 1: That is the best behind the same secret. Let me tell you, I think that's a brilliant answer, because that is very much how it feels. You know. It feels like a lot of other networks would have cud all that stuff out, but they come across as being my favorite things on the show. I love that you were attacked by that monkey. It was fucking hilarious. That's what people are here for, Darren. I have to say, I am such a big fan of yours and I have been a fan of yours because so I think that you are a breath of fresh air in the Australian television industry, very much like this podcast You'll lose. You are real interesting and you have got some fantastic things to say. Good luck with a real love boat. I hope they make ten more seasons and you can buy a big million dollar mansion, but mostly we can.
Speaker 2: Get a lift blower. Amazing man. Thanks, you appreciate all the tame words, and yeah, I just hope people stick to the show as a cracker and it just gets better and better and better as it goes on, and you fall in love with these people. So fingers crossed and we'll see how it plays out.
Speaker 1: Mate, Thanks so much for the chat.