Speaker 1: Thank you day, Peter Helly here, welcome to you ain't seen nothing yet in the Movie Podcast, where our chat to a movie lover about a classic or loved the movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. In today's guest comedian Frankie McNair, all below, I want to stay here with you.
Speaker 2: The jobble my hat snake sucked.
Speaker 1: Why hail, it wouldn't happening right, You ain't seen nothing yet. Very excited they have the wonderful Frankie there joining me in the studio.
Speaker 2: But you ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 1: Frankie is an absolute delight on stage and off stage.
Speaker 2: I perform with Frankie.
Speaker 1: Various different gigs and the Grapes of Mirth the Comedy Republic, and it's on the share of stage with Frankie. And if you've seen Frankie do the thing, it's always a little I'm trying to avoid the term.
Speaker 2: Weird, but it's out there. It can be out there.
Speaker 1: Frankie place is a great character called Tabitha Booth and like an old Hollywood actress that things haven't necessarily.
Speaker 2: Gone their way.
Speaker 1: And Tabitha is hilarious and if you get a chance to see Tabitha on stage.
Speaker 2: I urge you to do so.
Speaker 1: If you follow Frankie's Instagram page, you'll see Tabitha pop up there as well. Frankie one Best Newcomer at the twenty twenty two Melbourne International Comedy Festival. You would have also seen Frankie on the ABC's Question Everything Just for laughs. You also may have seen Frankie on Only Donna's Coffee Cafe. And she also, which I wasn't less be aware of it, is a real student of film and has one had a short film that one called Laundry was runner up in the Sony Catch Night Film Festival. So I'm really fascinated to delve into today's film. Frankie is smart, funny, bloody, delightful and I'm stoked to be hanging with them today.
Speaker 3: Hi, my name is Frankie McNair and my favorite films ah Casino.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious. I sure you're shuffling your checks with your right hand? Can you do that with both hands?
Speaker 3: Eighth grade?
Speaker 2: One more week of eighth grade? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy and nine days.
Speaker 2: Spending this day and note with me, and you shall possess the origin of all poems.
Speaker 3: But up until recently, I had not seen this sting.
Speaker 1: Yes, Robert Redford, possibly one of the most American looking men in history, plays a grifter with possibly the most American grifter name, Johnny Hooker, who unwittingly steals from Irish mob boss Doyle Lonigan Robert Shaw in fine form. When Lonigan seeks revenge by killing his partner in crime, Luther, played by Darth Vader's dad, Robert Earl Jones, it lights a fire under Hooker, vowing to hit Lonigan where it hurts most. He's ample Wallet. Wanting to avenge his friend's murder, Johnny Hooker reaches out to a contact of Luther's Henry Gondorf, the impossibly blue eyed Paul new the master of the long con. Together they dream up a masterful con. They will test their nowse, their skill, their nerve, and their courage. The Ultimate Sting winner of the nineteen seventy four Best Picture OSCAR, including six more including Best Director for George roy Hill and Best Screenplay by David s Ward. The Sting is pure Hollywood entertainment, with two of the biggest stars of their day having a great time. Frankie McNair, have you ever fallen for an elaborate sting.
Speaker 3: Not that I know of, which means that they would have done a good jog. That's the greatest.
Speaker 1: I love it. Thank you so much for joining us on. You ain't sing nothing yet. I'm excited for this because I feel like you play a character I mentioned in the intro at Tabitha Booth, who could almost fit in this movie somewhere or this world? So when when? It only occurred to me when I was watching it, Because sometimes as I'm watching I'm thinking, well, they have a connection a way into this film, and I feel like, and without knowing too much about whether you like the film or not, I feel like Tabitha may have been like she does exist in this world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she exists as someone who is about to ruin the plan. She exists is someone who is about to walk in and goes, what don't we do in here, fellers?
Speaker 2: What's going on here?
Speaker 3: Are we doing a sting?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: She is someone who is about to send everyone to prison by just getting too excited to be a part of it. That's her vibe.
Speaker 2: How do we come?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: I generally I will send the list to my guests with a whole bunch of films on them.
Speaker 3: There's so many. I was so excited, Oh that's excellent, so many films on that.
Speaker 2: And you came back with great, you have.
Speaker 1: There's one film that I was wrestling with, which is Magnolia, which I love. Of listeners of this podcast know how much I love Paul Thomas Anderson. We kind of I covered it, not necessarily for this podcast directly, but with doing film podcasts with Beck and Jade, and it felt like we'd covered it almost as a sister show, sister brother show. We'd covered it, so I was very closer still doing it because I love it so much and you should really watch Magnolia. Yeah, but this was this was one. Did you did you kind of check out the time period? Did you check out the running time? How did you like? So you know about this film? What did you know about it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't know about it. I googled it and saw that it had Robert Redford and Paul Newman in it, and I went, yes, yes, this one. Please.
Speaker 2: Have you've seen Pocashid in the Sundant Skin of All? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is like almost it's a brother film to that companion piece. It's not a sequel, but it's certainly the filmmakers wanting to pair these two together again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it felt like there was that period of time where Owen Wilson and Ben Stella were doing every movie together, and it feels like they were trying to like do the same thing of being like, these two have such good chemistry and every movie they should be in together. And I think they made the right call.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about how impossibly good looking these men are.
Speaker 3: Dear God. So I watched Butchcasidy in The Sundance Kid because my partner is like loves movies, like studied them, like has real uni brain about movies. And I was really like, I'm like, I don't know if I want to watch like an old movie. And then we watched Butch Castidy and The Sundance Kid and I was weeping by the end, and I was just like, I'm weeping. But they're so beautiful. And he told me an anecdote that I haven't fact checked this, but apparently Robert Redford, who is the most beautiful man in the entire world, he was doing a scene and it was about like rejection and he wasn't quite getting it, and they were like the director came up and was like, all right, Rob, it's about like you know, like you're you're feeling rejected, but you understand. And he's like, yeah, I kind of don't get it. And the director said okay, So like Robert, like you like, have you ever been turned down by a woman? And Robert Redford said what do you mean? He just couldn't comprehend it, and I'm like yeah, because he's so beautiful. Most of me watching this movie was just me going, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Well, he wanted to play Benjamin Braddock in The Graduate and he went to Mike Nichols and said, yeah, I want I want to I want to do this role. And Mike Nichols was like, you can't. This is a guy who is he can't, like he's nervous around women and he can't.
Speaker 2: You know, we don't even know he's possibly a virgin.
Speaker 1: Like you can't do that. Look in the mirror, Robert, and he's like, okay, yeah, I kind of get it.
Speaker 3: There was just this scene where he was just sitting in a chair and I paused it and I took a photo and I sent it to my partner. It's just him sitting in a chair. That he's just like kind of slouched with like his arms back, and I was like, anyone else tried to sit in a chair like that? Then called cart what are you doing? Sit up normal?
Speaker 1: I'm going to try to sit in the chair. We'll do a comparison. I'll put it on on my socials. We'll see maybe I can put a laugh. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You were absolutely right.
Speaker 1: After I watched Posa Cassidy, which I watched for the first time for his podcast that with Bob Murphy x AFL footballer and dilettante. He the next morning, I was saying to my wife, you don't understand how good looking these men are. And I'm googling imaging. Look look look at their eyes. Even last night I was watching this thing and with my wife for a bit and I was like, look at blue Newman's eyes are. They're impossibly blue. And she's like, they're not that blue, Like human's got blue eyes. I said, but not early, but later, and I was getting frustrated. It was like, I'm not sure it's deliberate. The filmmaker's almost like got his eyes darkened and you can't quite see his eyes. And then eventually you have these shots. I think when they're like they've got that makeup casino that they made up. Yeah, that's when you really see how blue those eyes aren't.
Speaker 3: Where when he pops, when he has his like his glam up. I think that Paul Newman has blue eyes like a husky. Like you know how huskies have those like kind of hauntingly blue eyes where you're like, those are the eyes of a person, husky, What have you done? You're a man trapped in that body of a husky. That's Paul Newman's eyes.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, they extraordinary. Will talk more about Paul Newman and Robert Redford without a single doubt. Let's talk about your three favorite films. I film that has come up a couple of times now, and I'm embarrassed and I have not seen it, particularly after I saw Bo Burnham's special that he.
Speaker 2: Did during Lockdown.
Speaker 1: But eighth grade, I have not seen it, but it's come up enough times on this podcast in people's favorites. Tell us about eighth grade.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, there was a brief period of time I did in my entire life, I've done a semester of university and I basically the only real UNI assignment that I did was like an oral presentation, and so I deep dived into this movie and I love it so much. It felt exactly like like you're watching it and it feels like a visceral experience of I was like, oh, damn, this is exactly what it feels like to be in high school when you're not a teenager yet but you're not a kid and you're in that weird in between stage and like just all those changes are happening and you just feel so social, like you're just so self conscious all the time, and he does it so perfectly. It is upsetting. Like when I was talking about it at UNI, like a lot of especially dudes, were like, ah, because there's like one particular scene where she's in a car and like feeling a bit pressured to like have sex, but like it ends up working out. But they were like, ah, that felt a bit like they didn't need to have that in there. It's a bit far fetched. And I was like, are you kidding that it hits the nail on the head of that thing of like it's like nothing happened, but you still feel horrible, And it was just Bob Burnham started developing this film because he was having panic attacks on stage. She had really bad anxiety. And then he had a lot of teenagers coming to his shows and he was talking to them afterwards and he was like, why are teenagers identifying with me talking about having really bad anxiety? And then he was looking at social media and he was just like, oh, you're you always are in front of an audience. You always have to be on And then it just kind of delved into him talking about like finding out I have anxiety because I'm in front of thousands of people. These kids have the same feeling of constantly feeling watched and like they have to perform because they are in front of thousands of people. Potentially, it's such a good movie. It's so fun. The way that they film it too, I don't know, it's really heightened in some points and then in some points it's like really natural.
Speaker 2: Ah, it's yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm embarrassed now because I so many people say to me, you need to watch this film, and I, like, I said, I really liked bo Burnham's comedy special he put out was that called Inside Maybe Oh yeah yeah, and it was just endlessly creative and funny. But yeah, I'm gonna watch. It's definitely on the list. Let's talk about Casino. Yeah, a Scorsese film that kind of sometimes gets lost not with everyone, it's still like much loved and Sharon Stone. Kind of my memories of it when it came out was Sharon Stone kind of kind of reminding people of what she can do, like in the aftermath of Basic Instant, where she's probably pigeonholed and doing all those kind of thrillers. Just like, ah, it was. It wasn't quite like Tarantino putting Travoltar in pulp fiction, because Sharon Stone was still part of the you know, the the industry very much so. But it was like, ah, she can also do this, and she's extraordinary.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 3: I love It's gonna say, Uzie, I love it. I watched this movie whenever I'm sick. I don't know why. It's the most gruesome, like emotionally just like violent movie, and I'm like, I have a cold time to watch my make better movie. It's Casino. I love it. It's so intense. That acting is foot like, you know, you got DeNiro, you can't go wrong. You've got Deniara and Joe Joe Pesci.
Speaker 1: Joe Pesci is one of the finest, just one of those finest actors of all time.
Speaker 2: He's so good.
Speaker 3: But my introduction to him was Home Alone is a small child.
Speaker 2: He's one of the wet bandits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was like, what's the web it doing here? And I was like, oh, he's scarier, scarier than in Hope, But I still love that he still took a lot of that like mom energy into Home Alone. Yeah, you can just see him trying not to swear the entire Home Alone movie, but like, it's just it's such a good movie, and yeah, Sharon Stone absolutely kills it. It's heartbreaking, it's complex, and I think it's just one of those movies where like I don't know if you get this or got this, but like wanting to act more and just watching a movie and enjoying it, but at the same time being so mad that you're not in that movie. Have you ever experienced that, but you're just watching, like if it's like a theater piece or comedy or like a movie and you're like, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm so I've had reactions where I'm like, oh, this inspires me and.
Speaker 2: I wish I was. I wish I was, but I'm not.
Speaker 1: I've gotten mad that I wasn't cassed in The Godfather Part two for instance.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have that reaction.
Speaker 3: But the way you have that much healthy reaction. I feel inspired by this. I'm going to take this creative energy and make something. I'm sitting there seating, I'm watching it, going I call this show? Am I not Joe PEESHI.
Speaker 1: There are times when I've seen an idea badly executed and I kind of gone, I think could have done a better job. Yeah, if I had a similar idea or in the same ballpark, and I'm like, ah, that might ruin my chances of doing this because it's like, you know, and that might be more locally where it's maybe realistic, or on a much bigger scale where it's like, well, I'm not competing, you know, like I'm not having meetings at Universal or Warner Brothers in the States.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's also like this was a movie that was made like I think I might have been too, and I'm still sitting here as like a thirty year old watching it, going they should have cast me, and I'm not. I'm not then Neero good like who am I to think like I would get there. I mean I can do. They're like, but that's it, that's it. But it's so funny. Yeah, I just I just I don't know. I just love it. It just makes me be like, aren't movies right?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's one of those like transport movies where you're like, I'm fully immersed. Like if anyone tried to talk to me while I was watching Casino, I would get mad, right, I'd be like, how dare you take me out of my little world of blood and violence?
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it for a lot. I mean I saw it in the cinema and I've seen it since then. But because I usually go back to good Fellas, good Fellas would be where I go back to until about Joe Pesci being absolutely petrifying and hilarious side by side. It's so uncomfortable to watch become glorious at the same time. But yeah, I should go back and watch Casino again. It again has come up a few times on this podcast.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm good Fellas. They're seen in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: That's mon.
Speaker 3: Scorcedes says his mum. Yes, yeah, and they just told her improvise. Yeah, they didn't give her lines. They just said they're gonna come over and they're gonna wake you up in the middle of the night. Okay film and straightaway she's just like me feed you, let me make the sit down dinner. Come here.
Speaker 2: It's so good. It's such a I love that film so much. Was it Nine Days?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Should I've seen this one? Tell us about this one.
Speaker 3: So this is one of those movies that I think it's a really good movie. But I think also just because of when I watched it, it was like a bit of a switch in my brain moment. I was like, I think it was we'd just come out of like lockdowns and stuff, and I was a little depressobean and I just went to the movies by myself and I just saw this movie because it kept coming up, and I was just like, Yeah, that grain looks really good. I like the way that movie looks. I want to go see that movie. It's got a nice score. I'm going to take myself there. I'm really sad. And then I watched it and it's basically just like a movie that makes you realize all the little moments in life are just so special and so important. All those little mundane things are really beautiful if we take a moment to appreciate them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was clear what I need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, I want to go and eat an April cut fresh, like I felt like a manic Pixie dream girl. After that, I walked out of seeing that movie and I was like, it's gonna be okay. Yeah, and it was like it was there was like a sun shower as I was like walking out and it was like and I was like, oh my goodness, life is beautiful.
Speaker 1: But it is beautiful when you find a movie that hits you at the right time and everything, it just reminds you that life is beautiful and there is beauty around it and it doesn't have to be you said, you know, you weren't feeling great and that just was a perfect and sometimes just something a film can transport you. The one that for me recently was Past Lives. I'm not sure you're past Live?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it just like it did.
Speaker 1: I wasn't needing that film necessarily as far as anything I was dealing with, but it was just like a reminder of the journey of life and the friends sometimes we leave behind and the you know, the futures and sometimes when our history is in our presence kind of collide and it's the beauty of like relationships don't have to be discarded, Like you learn something from every relationship you have. Yeah, and it's not necessarily something I at all wrestle with. I've been married for now, happily married for twenty years, but I'm always fascinated with, like, what what's the point of relationships once they end? And even when I think about more through the eyes of my kids now, who you know, have got relationships going on and they're going to be dealing with this and you know there's a decent chance at some point those relationship will end and how do they deal with it? And what can I tell them about relationships? And I think past lives did that for me a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just whenever they kind of like going through it, just sit them down and put the movie on. You're like, I don't watch.
Speaker 2: This, that's parently when I want is a movie? A movie? It's Korean. It's very hip right now, Yeah, check it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that when you kind of like walk away. But it's so strange as well, because you can have a completely different experience and someone else in who's watching that movie. And I'm so scared of showing people nine days because I'm like, I don't know, it might they might be like that was a good movie, but I'm like, it's actually, it's actually really important. It's actually a really important film. It's actually you should probably reevaluate everything and the way that you perceive the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I had the We did an episode of this podcast with Puns Drunk Love, which is one of my favorite again Paul Thomas Anderson love him, Adam Sandler in amazing form, like we never seen it Adam sand Lace before and the amazing Emily Watson and I love the film so much.
Speaker 2: And we did it with my good friend Hamis McDonald.
Speaker 1: And he just did not get it, and I was, I was like, but you know, and and it was a really it's a fascinating episode. But what I love aout Is podcast. What I've learned is it doesn't matter if you love the film or if you don't like the film. There's gonna be a conversation that happens. And you know, I never asked before the movie, before we start recording, I never asked you what your three pair films are and I never asked if you enjoyed the film, and not even actively trying to avoid knowing, but.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh, I really wanted you.
Speaker 1: And I was chatting to Georgia Tiney about it afterwards and she said she made a really good point. It's like that just makes it more that feel more special for you because you see the beauty in that film. So it's like, oh, you win, like you because you know you kind of you can see what he was trying to do. And that's nothing against Hamish or whoever doesn't like the film that you love.
Speaker 2: It just means that you saw the beauty in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does mean that you're better than the other person. Absolutely, that's exactly what it means. But I feel like, but sometimes, like when you show something.
Speaker 2: By the way, hamysh if you're listening, write it.
Speaker 3: Down, I feel like sometimes when you show someone in a movie, it feels really vulnerable. Like I feel like when you're like a little kid and you hold up your little macaroni picture and you're like, I made this for you. Do you like this beautiful thing that I have made? And they're like okay, Like oh I was sharing a part of my soul.
Speaker 2: He's a mixtape or slash playlist for younger. It's not in. It's not you know, you want you want.
Speaker 1: When I I was you know, I would make mixtapes and I would expect them to be blown away like a parties going. I'm gonna put them wait for the right time and put my mixtape on and let's see if we can get this party started.
Speaker 2: No, the parties. Somebody's halfway through the first long somebody's changed it already.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're like, all right, I'm gonna I'm gonna go. Wait the car. I'm not wanted here. Let's see if anyone notices I'm gone. Let's play that game.
Speaker 2: You're gonna sit on the front steps for a while.
Speaker 3: Hey man, how are you going? I'm okay, all right.
Speaker 1: No, let's get into the movie. We are here to talk about.
Speaker 2: We got it, give it, give it to my peace.
Speaker 4: Get you with a knife, you said, total man, you need a doctor, I'll call it cop.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no cops.
Speaker 4: You want a boy the law or something.
Speaker 2: No, it's okay. Are you nuts?
Speaker 4: Carrying a water around like that?
Speaker 2: And name? But like this the money you got here, thanks I'm obliged to you. I gotta get a coin. You ain't gonna know.
Speaker 1: I got her, gotta run some slots down in West Bend for a mob here.
Speaker 2: I got a little behind in the paiholes. So that figure I've been holding out on him. They came Hi until four to come up with the cash. They don't get it.
Speaker 4: I'm dead and don't look good.
Speaker 2: Grabs. It's almost four now. I'll give you and your friend one hundred bucks to deliver it for me.
Speaker 4: I don't know that mugged the hitches.
Speaker 2: Mad enough of me already.
Speaker 4: Well, what if he's around a corner waiting with some friends.
Speaker 2: You don't know you're carrying it? Come on, you gotta help me out. Yeah, I'm sorry, bo.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna maybe help you get fixed up, get to a doctor.
Speaker 2: But I ain't about to walk in. No knife for you? How about you? All you got to do is to put them in the dose slot. I'll give you the whole hundred.
Speaker 4: Hey, what makes you think you can trust him?
Speaker 2: He didn't new shit?
Speaker 3: Hey, butt out, chicken liver.
Speaker 4: I get him back the wallet, didn't I How far is this play?
Speaker 2: Eighteen eleven Mason put in box three seats. You won't have no trouble. There's five thousand dollars there and here's one hundred bucks for you.
Speaker 4: Okay, well man, I'll make your drop for you, and don't worry.
Speaker 2: You can trust me. Not sure if you can.
Speaker 1: Frankie McNair from nineteen seventy three, directed by, of course, George roy Hill, becomes the first man first director to have two films passed one million dollar box office mark with this, after Butch Cassid in the Sun, Dance Kid, Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Eileen Brennan, Charles Durning, Robert Shaw, Great Cast, Robert L.
Speaker 2: Jones. I said, that's the father of Darth Vader James L. Jones. Did you enjoy nineteen seventy three's The Sting?
Speaker 3: I loved it. I loved it.
Speaker 2: It was so good, excellent.
Speaker 3: It was I think when it it started with the like opening titles and they're kind of all painted and it does feel like that kind of like nineties, like teen twenties, almost like like like a magazine or something. Yeah, I was a bit like, like, is this about to be like Roger Rabbit Hours where it's like everyone's from the twenties and they're worrying a Fanora. But it was so good. It felt like watching like Casino like in terms of like it was stressful, Yeah, it was stressful, but it was so funny as well.
Speaker 1: When did you feel like you're in safe fans? Like you said, you had that moment where it's like, oh during the opening titles and oh, okay, this is But when did you feel like, oh, no, I feel like I always talk about feeling like you're in safe fans, which puts cashing in to something that scared. It happened straight away that the CPR kind of opening titles. I'm like, I think I'm gonna love this film.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you have a moment where you kind of felt that.
Speaker 3: Robert Redford as soon as that man opened his mouth, I'm like, you know what we're gonna be okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that first that first con that we we just listened to with Luther and Johnny Hooker, we do you know what was going on to you? Because because I must say, it kind of beat me. I was like, yeah, okay, this is this is, this is happening. Even though the movie is called a sting, and I know that Robert Redford's you know, the main one of the main characters. So of course they're pulling off some kind of job. But I was like, oh, this poor guy.
Speaker 3: I it took me so long, like that scene had well and truly finished before I realized what they did, which is they had five They had like five thousand dollars, and then they get they give it to the guy and then they open his wallet and they say, no, you're gonna put all your all your money on top in case they search you, and so they by the end of it they also take his money. But in my head, I was like, did they just give that guy five thousand dollars but then take it back off him. I guess maybe they're doing it for the thrill, like and I was like, no, they got like eleven thousand dollars. Yeah, but it took me so long I honestly thought. I was just like, it's not really a con, you're just kind of pranking someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're playing a switcher rude. So they puts it Danny's pants to show him this is where you put it, and then he takes out another something wrapped in it was some kind of sheet or something, you know, small.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a hanky, like a hanky yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and so he's got that placed and he gets out of there and gives it to him, but it's all fake.
Speaker 2: It's all paper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just paper. And the guy thinks he's just gotten away by stealing like five thousand dollars, but he's just given them his money. But I just I missed. I missed the bit where he put his money in there as well, and I was just like, what happened?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: The thing about this film sometimes I will say which and I really enjoyed it as well the first time up for me seeing it, there are times when you're like, do they show you enough?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: You know sometimes so Ocean's eleven is a good example, yeah, where sometimes they explain how they're going to do it and then things while then go wrong. And this thing doesn't follow that format. But I think it's good to kind of see the switches made. Yeah, and I don't think I think the sting cheats a little bit, and I might be wrong. Feel free to let us know. But by not showing you those slot of hands like the card.
Speaker 3: Games, yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when does Paul Newman's character Henry, When does he make that switch to turn the threes into jacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I wanted to see too, because at no point, because I was watching that card game and I'm like, I want to see it's like watching a magician, Like you're like, I want to see if I can see when they do it. But at no point did he do anything with his hands that would even indicate that he had cards like hidden at like he was lighting a cigarette and I was like, did you do it? Then there's no possible way. Yeah, all of a sudden, it's like the threes at jacks and you're like, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: So often films will do almost as a flashback to kind of let the audience know that the audience, and I thought that was one of the things that I felt was missing in this. But there's still so much to like about it. We're speaking a lot about you and refer but let's keep talking about them because they're obviously mates. There's a concern from the movie company the studio that because for this the work, you kind of feel like you do need to have a feeling that Johnny may betray Henry and vice versa, and I'm not sure if you felt that, but the studio were worried that because they're famously friends, will the audience kind of think, well, they're not going to betray each other because it's it's their mates. Yeah, And I kind of, I must say, I didn't necessarily feel I knew that they were trying to get at that, and I have to agree to the studio, not that I must say. I still enjoyed the film, but I did kind of. I never felt that I was going to betray each other.
Speaker 3: I didn't think Henry would ever betray I thought that he was just doing it for the for the for the love of it. When Cooker kind of it's like set up to be like, you've got to turn him in, and then they start saying that they're going to put Luther's wife in prison. As soon as that happened, I was like, I reckon he would because he loved that family at the beginning when he walked in that family, he loved them so much and they loved him so much, and I was just like, oh, no, he needs to protect that family. He's got to do it. And it broke my heart. I believed it, but I didn't believe that these two people had just met, because I was like that chemistry is great, they are for friends, they are right or dies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny the things that we wouldn't maybe forgive if that movie came out today, There'd be so many things I think we wouldn't forgive about it. But because it's maybe nineteen seventy three and there's so much to like about the film, you allow these films to take shortcuts in a way that I don't think we allow in twenty twenty four, for better or worse. Sometimes sometimes I wish we could just like cut to the chase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be quicker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just got like this where house and they turned it into like a fake casino like Overnight, And I didn't question that. And then I was thinking, I'm like, I've done shows. You don't just have one guy that you go to and you say, here's two thousand dollars, give me a casino and then it happens. But I was just like, my suspension of disbelief, let's go, let's right this.
Speaker 1: And this movie does rely on that suspension of disbelief, and it's a famous trope. I'm not sure when that trope first came up where it's like everybody working together to build something Three Amigos. It is probably the first time I ever saw it where it's like the whole town gets together and so's you know, one hundred and fifty you know amigo kind of suits, you know, and with the sombreros and everything. And for me, the first time I've seen that trick played, I was like, oh my god, that is amazing. How do they think of that? You know, impossible? Sure, but I don't care. It's a movie. This was This was almost more possible and I think than what the Three Amigos tried to pull off. But it was, Yeah, it was I think, pretty joyous. Did you did you understand this thing from go?
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 1: I'm fascinated by murder mysteries and shows like this kind of God Like, how important is it to understand the sting?
Speaker 2: Do you think?
Speaker 3: So here's the thing about me. I have a lot to offer the world. I'm pretty dumb. I'm happy to say I got this smooth, this brainmooth. She's smooth that she's been buffed down, no lines, She's beautiful. But I think I was like, as it was kind of unfolding, I was like, all right, I understand, Like when they were getting this like Casino, I was like, but why would they do that? So I was very much just like along for the ride, and so was I.
Speaker 1: I reckon, I understood, and I watched it twice, so I kind of maybe picked up a few more things the second time because I was really looking out for it the second time. But I think the first time I understood thirty thirty percent of it, Like yeah, but I still enjoyed it, and I think it's a sign of good filmmaking or good chemistry that you can because there's also a lot of character and they like more so than the sting. I didn't quite necessarily understand the kind of character and lot was when did he kind of come in on?
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think that was when there was It was only one line that they said, we've got to find a way to get because Hook is kind of being because he gave someone counterfeit money. So there's like so many moving parts in this movie as well. He gave someone counterfeit money, so then he's got this cop on his tail. So they said, we've got to find a way to get him off your back. So there's this whole side plot going on that we don't know about, where they've set up a mini FBI headquarters, and I'm like, I'm just trying to think of organizing all these moving parts, and I'm like the group chats, the group chats, if you were doing that today, and you'd have someone messaging of like five minutes before being like, hey guys, I'm so sorry I can't do this thing today. I'm so sorry. I'm feeling anxious. Hey guys, I'm so sorry I can't do this thing today. I'm really burnt out. That's me, by the way, that's me messaging chat. I actually I would love to maybe another time, absolutely, But yeah, there were a lot of moving part And then I think as well, there was they had someone like reading the tape that was like, but I didn't understand how they were picking the winning horses.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so this is the bit that I kind of when the first time, I was like, what's a rough idea what might be going on? So basically and this is, you know, this is it works because of its time. It wouldn't work in twenty twenty four where people are watching horse racing live on their phones. But they were able to get the results from the Western somebody on the inside at Western Union, the phone company who gave them the results you know, a few I suspect minutes before it then went out, so they were able to do a fake radio call of the of the of the race. They had the results, you know, so they were able to know, put your bed on this, it's about to start.
Speaker 2: Bang, you win. So yeah, that's that's why they go in.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite scenes, I think is when they go into the Western Union off because he wants to that meetings so good.
Speaker 2: It's it's so much fun.
Speaker 1: They go in with the you know, anytime when people are just as painters and then they're just goin to take the painting suit off, It's like, yeah, it's so cool.
Speaker 3: I think that was the thing about because like, I love any I think that wasn't one of the reasons that I wanted to watch this movie. I love anything that has to do with like carn artists. Yeah, and I was thinking about it, I'm like, why do I love that? I'm like, oh, it's just people playing and pretend. Yeah, which is what we like to do. And so anytime that there's like elaborate costume changes, and someone having to like put on a funny voice or put on like a fake mustache. I'm like, this is the movie for me. I love to watch it.
Speaker 1: And there's also the lingo and I thought of you, you know, because of you know, Tabitha and the lingo, all those you know, if you if you, but if you're on the lamb, you know, like it's all that stuff that's like so rich, but if you're not, it can cause some confusion. If you are watching in twenty twenty four and I go, what does that? I knew what some of it meant, but there's other stuff that you're going to go. I don't quite know what they're talking about here. Let's ever listen to I think when they bring in Johnny Hooker in the.
Speaker 3: FBI, Oh, one of my favorite leads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's have it. I think this is the one special agent Polk FBI.
Speaker 4: Have a chair. Do you want to drink or something? No, we want to talk to you about Henry Gondoor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I know.
Speaker 4: I'll give yourself a couple of seconds.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't want to lie to me. Lieutenant Snyder here.
Speaker 4: Says you've done a lot of confidence work.
Speaker 2: In his town.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Lieutennis Snyder does no shit, you ain't got nothing on me. Yeah, how about counterfeiting, We've got to tip the Gundorf is going to run a can on the.
Speaker 2: South side here.
Speaker 1: All you've got to do is tell.
Speaker 3: Us when he's going to play is trump We commit at the sting, make the pension.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually there's some language that maybe wasn't in that clip, but that there is in that scene. This certainly they certainly go there's one passage where they really go hard on like there's like seven terms that are certainly out of straight out of the nineteen thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeh, which is just like you know, like and if you play it like that, every thing will be just Jack is Jack. Another character that's got one of my favorite lines where Robert Redford stands up and points at the FBI agent and says, you stink, mister, just real earnest, And I'm like, let's yes, you couldn't. You couldn't play that off today. I'm just being like, and he's going to stand up and in a very earnest moment, insult this man to his face. You stink, miss her.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised. So Robert Redford.
Speaker 1: I think it's only nomination for an Oscar for this, and the kind of surprised me that this is the one because and he was even during the production saying, all I'm doing is running around, and he was a little bit unhappy to the point where or nervous about it, to the point where the director ended up giving him like a Golden Road Runner statuette at the end of production saying, you know, this is for you, thanks for all the running you've done. But yeah, he was a bit nervous about taking this roll on. But it's the one that you get nominated for, which I'm a touch surprised, as good as he is in this, but this is like, so this gets nominated for wins the Best Actor. I think it's sandwich between Godfather Part one and Godfather Part two. And this is like when New Hollywood is beginning. So he got Scorsese and Spielberg. You know, George is not long after this, Robert Shaw goes on to starring Jaws, you know, France for a Coppola. This, you know, this cool kind of you know, movies are being made, and this kind of feels like almost just a bridge between old Hollywood. This is this is the ocean's eleven of its day. This is pure entertainment, and I think potentially I think it wins because it wasn't like it's a dark time like I think the Nixon Watergate, you know, trials that just happened, and you know he had been impeached. Vietnam was you know, still going and getting close to it its its end point, but still going. So I think there's always this thinking when times are dark, we look for like, you know, lighter yea time, and vice versa. When things are you know, going well, then we're happy to have more synces.
Speaker 3: We're like, okay, we're ready to process that, bring it in, bringing meet with.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I say, I'm surprised. In one hand, I'm surprised at won the Oscar. But at the same time, I think we often want popular movies to win Oscars and not always be about the worthy. The worthy films always winning them, but when one does, it invariably gets a bit of pushback and really was that the best film of that year?
Speaker 2: So The Exorcise was released the same week.
Speaker 1: That this film was so wild, Like you cannot get two films trying to do two different things.
Speaker 3: Because this maybe it's such a good job I think of being really grounded in that like nineteen twenties as well, Like there are a few times that I forgot that I'm like, no, this was made in seventy four, because it did feel like a much older movie, like even the way that, like you know, like they had like the whole like kind of everyone in the casino like moving at one time, and all the extras like bustling around and stuff. I don't know what it was about. I don't know if they're costuming or something, but it did feel like I'm watching a movie that was made in like the fifties or the forties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The Exorcist was made the same came out the same same week.
Speaker 2: Imagine making that choice, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously, when you're seeing them, you don't know that these movies going to become The Sting and The Exorcist.
Speaker 2: But bloody hell, that is quite a choice.
Speaker 1: I do love in that scene where we're talking about the Western Union when they're painting that they just walk out and leave it.
Speaker 3: Like that made me feel so anxious.
Speaker 1: I was a little bit like, you can at least finish the wall couldn't you finish.
Speaker 3: Painting the wall? This board man is just being cold, and I think that that was the thing. I'm like, I was rooting for them because I'm like, yeah, you're getting the bad guy, and then they did that and I, wait, you're also the bad guy. Wait, you're ruined this man's day and war.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't be completely clean. I don't think when you're trying to pull off a sting. I think I yeah, I got my head around it enough. Like I said, there were elements of this that I was trying. I was playing catch up. And it is that thing with movies, like you do always need to be ahead of your audience.
Speaker 2: You know, you do need to be. You can't you can't.
Speaker 1: Have them At the same point, you know that you need to be every scene the you should be asking subconsciously questions, I want, Okay, how's you gonna get out of this? You know what's gonna happen next? And I think this film that's does it really well. There's one element that I must say I did not. I thought they it was another cheat And I know I've come with a couple of critical points, but I did.
Speaker 2: Really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: But the assassin, the twist, the turn. I mean, what did you think about the assassin Loretta?
Speaker 2: I think her name was it.
Speaker 3: I didn't think that there was enough. Like again, it was like one line where I can't remember Loretta's like last name that they are like referring to her by. But there's like one line where they're like, we need to get our best guy on it. I can't remember that. Then they're like, oh fine, And that was kind of the only setup of that they have someone going after the person who has given them counterfeit money or has stolen that like five grand. From the beginning. Yeah, it was just that one line and then every so often you just see like a gloved hand and you're like, oh, yeah, I guess that's the assassin. No, it's not. We got a little fem fatale in the house.
Speaker 2: It has no lines, no line, and no agency. Like they said to her at one point, she's a real professional. She did sweet fuck all, like like she slept.
Speaker 1: With him, and they said, why didn't he why didn't they she take him out when too many people would have seen and like the old lady crossed the hall would have But she's easily if you're an assassin.
Speaker 2: She's easily you know, taken care of. Oh yeah, she's.
Speaker 3: Probably about to go herself, but it's not much work. Yeah that felt really it did give me watching it. I guess that extra sense off. I was like, oh no, Robert Redford, you can fall in love. Oh my goodness, Oh no, what if I was the lady working at well, what if I was lady working there? On deer? But also I was so frustrated when I saw that he was like flirting with her, firstly because it wasn't me, and then secondly because I was just like, you have a job to do, so don't you dare? Don't you dare for it? Because she has beautiful hair. Yeah, just wait, wait a day, wait a couple of days. But also I'm like, if she's an assassin, why wouldn't you just kill him like straight away there?
Speaker 1: And also he's always going to her, so like you gotta have agency. You need to show her doing her job, like have it that she buys him a drink, you know, one on the house before you leave, you know, and start the conversation. But it's always him going to her, which is just too convenient. Yeah, you know, let her seduce him and then whether it takes place in her apartment or not. But it's I thought it was very lazy.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It felt like a bit of like a oh, you know, we have put that lane in about an assassin going after him. We're going to do a couple of pickups. We're going to put it all right. She's working at the diner. Absolutely, Didn't it just make you want to eat it a diner?
Speaker 2: I always want to eat an American dinas.
Speaker 3: Yeah. All I was thinking was like, where are our twenty four hour diners?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Here, I want to get waffles at two am and fall in love with someone working at the diner who may or may not try to kill me. That's none of my business, but I want to do it.
Speaker 1: I feel like like a genuine diner as opposed to like a Johnny Rockets where people are on skates and they.
Speaker 2: Come over with happy birthday to somebody at a booth.
Speaker 1: It's like, I want to feel like the genuine diner or roadhouse that they have.
Speaker 2: We just don't really have that culture here.
Speaker 3: We don't, but I think we should. I think there are enough in so many acts like a twenty four hour diner, especially in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: I want if Americans watch astraying films ago, I'd love to go to a milk bar.
Speaker 3: But do we have that. We don't really have many.
Speaker 2: No milk bar. It's probably gone the way of the Dodo.
Speaker 3: I don't know what we have any I don't think we have an.
Speaker 1: Equivalent No, No, I think we have an equivalent of a We have a bigger pub culture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Americans are watching. They're like, oh, wish I could go get a parma. Wish I could go get a twenty three dollar parma.
Speaker 2: Cotten a parma barma.
Speaker 1: Just there's a schnitzen tits.
Speaker 2: When I go, When I go down under Unders.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm doing, And I'm gonna and I'm gonna watch a forty three year old man do carry OK, That's what I'm want to do when I'm there. That's what we've gone. Weir and we have culture, and that's what this is about. This movie. All that made me want to do is eat it a diner and gamble. Yeah, yeah, and maybe try to. Actually, when my housemate and I were watching it, we did start trying to see if we could pickpocket one another. We can't.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Whenever you see in these kind of movies anybody just bump into each other, you get it, Well, there's the walletstole.
Speaker 3: But it's so what because I was like, how did they? And we were we were practicing, we have had things in our pocket and we were like walking past one another and just like shoving each other and grabbing it. We're like, noth felt that, not felt that? Do it again? And I remembered when I was in I was in Rome and I was on a train and there were a bunch of pickpockets and we could see them because they were in a group. And someone said to us like, hey, just when you get on and off the train, that's when they do their thing. And I was like okay, great, and so we were I was like twenty and I was like oh no, no, no no, and we're getting off the train and a lady I saw, she turned and there was just a hand in her bag and she was also Australian, and she just grabbed her bag and just went no, thank you, no, thank you, don't pickpocket me. Please to think about that, think about what you've done. No, thank you, absolutely not. Not on my holiday.
Speaker 1: I love that Eileen Brennan. There's a great performance. Eileen Brennan is so good. People know her from the Last Picture Show. She was awesome in that. They also will know her from a Private Benjamin with Goldie Horn, And there are these little shortcuts when she when Hooker goes to see Henry for the first time, and she's sweeping at the stairs and this is like, is Henry Gondolf for there? She goes scram beat it and she's like, Luther, Sammy, are you you hook Yeah, come on in. It's just why not you know, if you're expecting somebody, you know, and they've asked for Amy, the Luther sends you.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, something like news travels fast, like Luther just got killed. I guess they had phones. Yeah, I guess they had phones. But that's kind of something that I was like, like, how does this man know where to go? I think I must have missed something because he immediately was like, I'm going to go visit this man I've never met, who's the best in the Bears? Yeah, and start this big con. Yeah, it's probably why I was trying to pickpocket my house. I was probably busy trying to get like wait, let me see if I can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never been pickpockeing, but I always kind of think surely I would feel it, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the good ones. Let's have a listen.
Speaker 1: We're going to go backwards a little bit to it's one of the most iconic scenes in the film, which is a card game.
Speaker 2: So Henry is playing drunk.
Speaker 1: He's drinking out of the way I took it was like basically gin with water in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or just a bottle of either diluted it or it's it's just water.
Speaker 1: And he enters a hyphen Luton High society game of cards with our good friend Robert Shaw Lonigan, and he he enters.
Speaker 4: Sing, lad guys, I was taking a crap named Shaw.
Speaker 2: Mister Shaw, meet mister Jamison from Chicago.
Speaker 4: Tire Lombard, Philadelphia, mister Lonigan from New York Crazy, meet you mister Clayton Pittsburgh. So any of you guys want to make a little book at Chicago. I'm a going to see. Game is straight poker, one hundred dollars minimum table steaks.
Speaker 2: Mister Shaw, this is a gentleman's game. We assume you're all good for your debts.
Speaker 4: How much would you like, mister Shaw, I'll start with five thousand, mister Shaw. We usually require a tie at this table, and if you don't have one, we can get your one.
Speaker 3: Hey, it'd be real, mister larwen lalagam u.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, that would have played very funny, I think in you know, in cinemas back then. I mean, I think it's funny. We even watching it now. A couple of things like him saying taking a crap. I do wonder what this is, is someone unexpected to hear the word crap in a film and like referring to it as actually taking a dump, Like I kind of think that must I wondered if that was pretty edgy in cinemas in the seventies, all this unexpected Maybe I kind of.
Speaker 3: Kept I think again, because they did such a good job of like rooting it in that kind of like nineteen twenties that whenever they did say like shit or that crap and stuff, I was a bit like like clutching my part. They didn't say this in the twenties, but like, yeah, it's so good. I think it would have. I don't know, I think it would have been. But also you think about the fact that it's, you know, The Exorcist that had come out the same week, but I think it just doesn't feel a part of the world. Yeah, so I think that's probably why. I guess, like, in the world, someone speaking like that is kind of shocking.
Speaker 1: And yeah, the character is trying to be uncouthant, you know, and to create this impression that he doesn't really belong and he's maybe not you know, he's drunk, so he's probably easy to take advantage of. When when Lonigan takes the bottle of gin off him, I thought, you know, they where it was heading, was he's about to be discovered, because you know, maybe he'll poor And I thought, you know, I mean, he wanted to ask her. It's much of a loved film. But I think they miss an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Frankie, I've got a couple of people.
Speaker 2: I get some notes.
Speaker 3: Yet I think you've forgotten. I think you've set something up. Yeah, perhaps nothing, Okay, did you run out of time? Okay? Yeah, because there was like a bit of a thing of him filling it up and he explains he's like, you've got to dilute it. So they think you're drunk and then the bottle gets taken off and you are kind of like, oh shit, and it's just like, oh no, that was nothing happens.
Speaker 2: Okay, nothing happened.
Speaker 1: So even they obviously don't want him to get called out because they want him to get through this. And then they'll send Robert Redford into the room and we'll listen to that bit in the second. But there an opportunity is to pour, you know, a shot and then kind of go to drink it, you know, and then decide not to.
Speaker 2: Let's have that tension engine would have been good. So I'm sorry, George or Hill.
Speaker 3: We'll send them through, take them or leave them if you want. I lone Agans.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Robert Shaw.
Speaker 3: It was awesome. Is he Irish?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes he is Irish. Yes, he's in Jaws. He plays like a.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the big and that's a big monologue about the World War two and the sharks in the water and all that face on the true story.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: His voice the first time you see him, it's just like his back and he starts speaking like that. I was like, oh, what a cartoon evil man, what a mustache twirling villain? And he had like a limp, and I was like, you are like a Dudley do Right kind of evil character. Yeah, awesome.
Speaker 1: And he has a limp because he actually heard himself playing racquetball in real life. Really yeah, and taur ligaments, so they just he was wearing a knee brace and luckily they had his wider set pants in the nineteen thirties and they were able to, you know, make that work. But it becomes part of the character.
Speaker 3: I love movie. I love movie.
Speaker 2: It's so good. It's so good.
Speaker 1: But he is really and this movie, like you say, this cartoon villain, and that's exactly what this movie wants, Like yeah, you know, and it's interesting because he's an Irish mob boss, which is probably they'll probably relieve they went that way because at the time you had The Godfather and that was played with protests from the Italian American community, you know, you know, not really wanting that part of their culture immortalized on screen. So I'm really I just love watching Robert Shaw. All the way through this, I thought he was just so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was really, really good. I really enjoyed watching him. He just he gave so little but like I don't know, he was just so contained. But also I did notice he had incredible blush on. There was like one scene where I was like, girl, you're highlighted, Like it was just like right, he had these little rosy cheeks and I was just like, absolutely lean into that character choice. This man is evil, but he takes his time to present himself.
Speaker 1: Well, he is a well dressed man. Certainly well, I certainly noticed that I didn't notice the blush. I'm going to watch it for a third time now, you'll notice.
Speaker 3: It looks like a little Cherub's beautiful.
Speaker 2: He's so much fun. And then the next bit happens where he sends so Henry's finished, He's part of this thing.
Speaker 1: He gets out. Like you said, there's elements I love to say. I really genuinely love the scene. I love the way Newman is acting. I love the way he's protecting his cards.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would have loved to have seen, at some point, whether it happens later on, how he was able to manipulate his cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love the idea though, that both are trying to cheat. And that's why Lonigan can't really call him out, because what am I going to say that he cheated better than I did? And that caint comes out when he sends Johnny Hooker into the room to confront him or the pick up the cash. But Johnny Hooker has got other ideas. And I must say I really enjoyed this because I was like, oh, okay, where is this going? Like this idea that okay, you know he's confession straight away. I was like, okay, let's yeah, let's see where this goes. But let's have a listen.
Speaker 3: Every bus is quite a card player, mister Kelly. How as he does.
Speaker 2: He cheats.
Speaker 3: On that case, I'll keep my money and we'll just have another game.
Speaker 4: You don't have any to keep. There's your wallet. You heard a dame to take it from you. Shaw has been planning to beat your game for months. He just been waiting for you to cheat him so he could clip you.
Speaker 2: Who do you think you're talking to her?
Speaker 3: And by nobody sets me up?
Speaker 2: Take them back to the baggage, will puts one easier?
Speaker 3: Please think there are four witnesses at that table and go back. Get another goddamn son of vexables. Dump them in the first tunnel. Hit doial. We're gonna be in the station in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 4: Thinking not too good. You're killing a guy your money too. There's better ways of taking him down.
Speaker 2: There's better ways to take me down.
Speaker 1: So that was that was really effective for me because I was like, Okay, I had no idea what's about to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they haven't explained what the play by play is, and so yeah, you are along for the ride. But I love as well that they absolutely like go into his ego because they dis like they say that he his way that he's been made up is that he gets close to like the head of some kind of like a criminal organization, learns how to do his racket, and then kills him off. And that's how he's gone up and up. And then that's exactly what Hooker is. He's like, it's like, oh, I've come from the same town as you. Oh I'm kind of doing the same thing. We're very similar. And then of course they're like this man kills for Pride and he's like, I see myself and you.
Speaker 1: Did you feel the like as it went along? Did you feel the danger? Like like I said earlier, I didn't necessarily feel like the newman and Red for we're going to betray each other, But I did. Yeah, En, I feel like the stakes were high enough, like that Robert Shaw gave enough menace to believe that these two were potentially in danger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he did. I think when I was watching it, because the like, the big con is that he, Robert Shaw puts down like half a million dollars to bet and we'll lose it. But his house and everything, it looks so rich. And then I remembered, oh, that's half a million dollars in the twenties. Yeah, And then as soon as I look that up, I'm like, oh, oh my goodness, oh.
Speaker 2: Dear, how much was it you? Like, do you have anything?
Speaker 1: I can't remember, but I must say I that thought occurred to me. It's like when he asked for you know, another half a million dollars whatever it was, was like shit, like.
Speaker 2: This is yeah, this is massive.
Speaker 3: This is because I think that I looked at eleven eleven thousand dollars was one hundred and seventy four k.
Speaker 1: Well, I know that Paul Newman and Robert Reffick both got paid five hundred thousand each for making this film, which was three million dollars you know, in today's money. So if you then go back to the twenties or thirties. Yet staggering it is. It is high stakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean even when he was at the day in it he got meat, love, a coffee, and an apple pie for I think it was she said eighty five and like, was it eighty five cents? With that eight dollars?
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I looked at the prices on the wall at one point, Oh went, wow, you can get you can get maybe not hot chocolate, but you know, for it's fifty thirty cents, it's amazing, and that a little Speaking of the diner, I mean, I've got to mention this earlier when we're speaking about it. The same diner that they meet Hi at one point is the diner that Doc meets Marty McFly in Back to the Future.
Speaker 3: Was it like an operational diner? Like was it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I think it's funny people say that and then you look at it you gonna go. But surely it's almost like completely reconstructed. And what part of it is still really the diner? Is it just the actual bench itself? But I would have I would have thought that from nineteen seventy three. I guess it's only from the sting to Back to the Future. It's probably what twelve years.
Speaker 3: They probably just put up a couple of posters and they were just like, all right now it's Back to the Future film.
Speaker 1: The we're heading towards the end. They do a really good job when we're in that world of the Cassine. It's not really casino, is it. But it's a.
Speaker 3: Fake, a fake underground Cassino.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's call it that.
Speaker 1: And I love the scene where he doesn't quite get the bet on in time because they kind of, you know, they can't afford to lose that money. But it's just smart because they want to not risk the money. They haven't got the money to pay that out, but they need to convince him that he would have been right. Yeah, And I think that's a really that was I think a really smart move. And this to see again to keep going back to it. But Newman and Redford in Taxedos, I mean, that's your box office right there.
Speaker 3: I forgot about the montage, the like twenties style montage where they glow up Robert Redford, yes, his part, but they only play the same Din Din dinner did. That's the only music that plays in the entire film. It's just that one like carousel song. And so during the montage, it's like a it's like a nineteen twenty but kind of that, like walking out in like a new tuxedo, turning around being like maybe this one, and then like a wipe to him getting a manicure, going what is this thing? Someone like tailoring his pants, like get off me. And then at the end, all they've done is like combed back his hair and they're like pretty good.
Speaker 1: Robin red It's like, wow, how did you make this guy look like that?
Speaker 3: Before he looked like he looked disgusting and now he's a glowing prince And just like either way he'd be fine. Just get him out there.
Speaker 2: It's Robert red Foot, Robin Redford. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: So when when everything goes down, the shooting happens, and is there any part of you that thought, oh, they've turned on each other and now they're one of the one's being killed or you were a long.
Speaker 3: No, one hundred percent. I was like as soon as they like that like fake FBI busted in at the end and they were like arresting him, I was like, oh god, and then and then he gets shot. I was like, yeah, shoot him, shoot the rat, get him, you dog. And then I can't remember. It was when they were just rushing out, is it er, mister evil rubbishaw?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. I think it was at that point where they're like everyone get out, everyone get out, and then they've just rushed him out and there's a scene of them. He's like, my man is in there, and then I realized no one else was leaving. I think that's when I was like, oh, thank god, Oh it's a part of it because I saw when he was getting ready he put something in his mouth and I was like okay, and then I was like it's a blood campsule.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, I I yeah, I had a moment where I did question I go, oh maybe, which is like it's it's good filmmaking because I kind of, you know, it's a sting in that, like like I wasn't convinced that these two were going to betray each other.
Speaker 2: He shot, you know, he gets shot, but.
Speaker 3: He's got shot in the leg, and then they rolled him over and he was dead and I was like, okay, keep shutting.
Speaker 2: The leg and he got blood in the man.
Speaker 1: You're right, actually, but for a second and then and then that was pretty quick going no, I think this is this is all part of it, and he gets ushed out, you're right. And final note was when Johnny Hooker decides not to take the money.
Speaker 3: I got a thought of yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Now you should be your thoughts. Okay.
Speaker 3: So at the end, two man guys who have done this whole thing for for Luther, their friend who was shut down, and then they both go, you're not going to stay for your cut, all right, let's get out of here. I'm like, give the money to the family, exactly, give the money to the I was laughing so hard as the credits when I was like, is anyone are they going to give the money?
Speaker 1: Because it's such a simple idea that would have like just like be more believable, Like really, Johnny Hooker like you're not. You're not thinking at all about what you could do with the money for you or somebody else, Like the perfect idea I had was. So he goes to leave, and maybe Paul Newman says to him, yeah, let's go, yeah, get a buzz on, le let's go get a drink, and he's like, I might drink with myself tonight or you know, like and he's got his money and he goes off and he's like, oh yeah he's a party boy or he's young, get laid or something. And then you see him drop the money off. Yeah, Luthor family.
Speaker 3: It could have been one line being like, you're not going to stay for your share? No, I think I'll give it to Luther's family. Let's get out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really had to be like I mean, I would loved doing like not not announce it like this kind of go like you.
Speaker 2: At the camera now you think.
Speaker 3: Fingers the moral of the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like you know, even a knock on the door and you know, you see him leave and maybe you don't even know it's him, and the door opens as Luther's wife and she is a package there and.
Speaker 3: In a little baby basket full of money, pulling back it's cradling it like it's a baby. You have a new family. Now.
Speaker 1: Honestly, they went to a lot of efforts, went to so much effort, and I don't think I've really seen the growth, you know, the journey of Johnny Hooker to kind of really think he'd gone from And I understand the idea that it was about avenging Luther's death, and I'm completely on board for that, but at least where does the money go? Like is it just get evenly spread amongst everybody else who like just do something better with it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they're just like it's all of them just like packing down the entire thing really quickly, Like as soon as everyone's gone, they're like, all right, pack it up. And I'm like, what's the admin process now? Like it's like if you're an extra, come forward, you get your amount, and.
Speaker 1: We're having a sale on these things really cheaply if you want to buy yourself.
Speaker 3: If anyone wants to take.
Speaker 2: Anything, there's bottles here, please.
Speaker 3: Guys, we can't take it.
Speaker 2: We're nice.
Speaker 3: Take it was the quickest bump out and then just they just had what's gonna happen in the money? Also? I mean is that I feel like that man is a very vengeful man. I think he's going to try to find his money.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the other thing. He's still alive.
Speaker 1: Like I would have had the knock on the door, loser's family opens it, the money is there, or somebody passes it to her. That's not Johnny Hook, but we know where it's come from. And then Johnny is seeing a final shot of Johnny Hooker is sitting on a train maybe with Henry.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, journeying.
Speaker 1: Off, you know, feeling good about the choice that he made.
Speaker 2: That's for me, he is a better ending. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry Julor roy Hill and David s Ward who wrote the script, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm with you. I was laughing pretty hard at the credits. I was like, you missed a bit. Excuse me, did you run out of time?
Speaker 1: Because even he says, well, I will just blow it anyway, the idea because you know, when he made some money earlier on in the film, we see you can go to the roulette table and it's all corrupted, but he lost the money straight away.
Speaker 2: Basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we understand that he likes to take chances and all that. So I guess there's a bit of growth in the character with that.
Speaker 3: But just you don't have to throw the baby out with the bathroom exactly.
Speaker 1: Remember why you're doing is for Luthor and Luther's family and that probably don't have the support that Luthor provided them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's out grifting again. Wife is out grifting again. Going if only there was a baby basket full of money that I could have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and Johnny Hook hasn't even dropped by recently, you know, his own projects. There were a couple of my issues with the thing, but I really enjoyed. It was good to see a film that was just just being entertaining.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really entertaining, I thought it. Yeah it was. I think it was so built in that nineteen twenties world that when you said that The Exorcist came out the same week, I was like, but that's not possible.
Speaker 2: It's nuts.
Speaker 3: This was made in the twenties when they didn't have audio for movies yet. Yeah, it's yeah, I really it was so fun.
Speaker 2: It was so fun.
Speaker 1: And even the bits where I didn't like, even with the assassin Laretta, like when she got shot in the head, I was like, oh, like wow, what the hell? And then I didn't think hang on, Like even when they turned their body out, there was no point where you could see that she was reaching for her gun. I think, right, maybe that like a frame of her right arm going to her handbag, like for a frame. Yeah, as she gets shot, basically as almost as you hear the gun shot, and then they turn her over and the gun is clearly in her hand.
Speaker 2: It's like, what we didn't see?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. I feel like they did the first cut and were like, we could add it on. We could add in another ten minutes. Let's add in another ten minutes. Let's that come on, let's go, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Because it's it's a it's a great idea to have the fem fertile the lady assassin, but just make her work for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did. I did shout and point when it was like that was the assassin. I was like, a twist, twist, a lady assassin. We can do anything.
Speaker 2: Low at us, go.
Speaker 3: Take that man? Where can I tell you?
Speaker 1: This is years before Andrew and the Jolley and her movie sald whatever what was called. Yeah, I did the original script a few movie facts before we wrapped things up. The original script was a lot darker. It was involving I think a fixed boxing match and the brother dying and kind of avenging his brother's death and the whole thing. We had a much dark undertone, and George roy Hill, who preferred to keep things a bit lighter, decided that he wanted to make this like a homage to nineteen twenties, nine and thirties Hollywood. And and I think he made a good choice by doing that. Oh, by the way, who who killed Selena?
Speaker 2: You know that when he goes down to the alleyway his guardian age and.
Speaker 1: He's trapped and then you go and then somebody it's for Selena or he was Seleno. I just had a note who killed Seleno? And it kind of the camera pans down to a manhole suggesting that's where Johnny Hooker is. Yeah, so it wasn't Johnny Hooker who killed him? Was that black glove?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Okay? So Selena was the Dinah lady. That was the name of the assassinka. And that was like the reveal. But the guy with the glove, we're meant to think that that is Seleno the assassin. It's actually not. That's someone that Henry has sent to look.
Speaker 2: Out look for Johnny, for Johnny Hooker.
Speaker 3: So then you see the glove and the gun and you're like, he's about to shoo Johnny Hooker and then he shoots Selena.
Speaker 1: So Selena was the guy in the alleyway chasing Johnny Hooker?
Speaker 2: Was that right?
Speaker 3: No, that was just our Guyleno killed.
Speaker 2: Yes, so who killed? Who killed? That guy in the alleyway?
Speaker 3: Selena the Dinah lady.
Speaker 1: But I thought there was a male voice. Was a male voice maybe coming from the guy in the alleyway?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he was like Selena, no.
Speaker 2: Y yes, okay okay.
Speaker 3: But again, it did feel like you're watching a separate movie for those bits. It did feel like they kind of took footage from another movie and just went and also there's this there's also this bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also there's this side bit, the side quest.
Speaker 1: It was Yeah, I like, like often if I come with this many criticisms, it's I didn't enjoy the film as much. But I really I really did, and it really seems up to a second watch, I think, you know, you can't see all the.
Speaker 2: The little bits.
Speaker 1: Julia Phillips was a producer and became the first female producer to win an Oscar. Yes, so salute to Julia Phillips accepted the Oscar off.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Taylor, Oh Love Liz.
Speaker 1: Liza handed that one to Julia and then sadly, though Julie may have broken the glass ceiling but didn't completely shatter it, because the next female producer to win.
Speaker 2: I think was driving Miss Daisy, which.
Speaker 3: Is like, oh my goodness, let's.
Speaker 2: Say late eighties, maybe even ninety.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely. You don't want to go too hot, too quick, Hollywood into everyone.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 3: Let's okay, let's just just calm down. You had to go, you had to go. Now, it's let's let the spell as.
Speaker 2: A guy, get the men back in the room.
Speaker 3: We don't want them to get upset. You did such a good job at sharing boys.
Speaker 2: Good job, I know. It's I was like, oh, that's cool, and then it's odd.
Speaker 3: The next one was okay, well, nearly.
Speaker 1: Paul Newman was advised not to do the film because he was suggested that you shouldn't do comedy because he doesn't have a light touch.
Speaker 2: I would completely disagree with that.
Speaker 3: They disagree.
Speaker 2: You feel like cool hand.
Speaker 1: Look, I feel like he brings a lightness to that character and you know, the hustler and there's Yeah, I feel like Paul Newman does have that in spades.
Speaker 3: He's so cheeky, he's such a he literally has a.
Speaker 2: Glint in his eye, yeah he does.
Speaker 1: And he's a bit of a practical joke like George Clooney plays, you know, he's famous playing these practical jokes, and I think he basically is carrying on a tradition of Robert Redford and Paul Newman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's literally he's I would probably describe it as a cheeky rag a muffin.
Speaker 2: Which I might take that as my next year's comedy festival title.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go for it, and then you can have the little the little blush on your cheeks too, like a little cherub Robert shawstyle. It's me.
Speaker 1: There's a horse god Wilder in the The Calling of the Horse. Most of them were A lot of them were actual horses around that time, but there was a few that weren't, and Wilder was one. Potentially, this hasn't been confirmed. It potentially it's because Billy Wilder, the famous writer director, hated horse racing, so it might have been a little bit joke at his expense that a horse called Wilder.
Speaker 3: Some of those horses had wild names. One of them was like Beefcake. They just had like absolutely obscene names. I was like, yeah, I don't want to be.
Speaker 1: One of the fun parts of riding the screw going, what are we going to call these horses? It doesn't really matter. We've got to make some pop more than others. Perhaps, Yeah, let's call it beefcake, why not.
Speaker 3: In the running beefcake, beefcake meat chack there is.
Speaker 1: It's one of the great voices that that that era of race calling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is such.
Speaker 1: A strong recognizable voice. Technically, the technical advisor actually did the car tricks and a lot of the shuffling when Paul Newman was doing it.
Speaker 3: And then there's like it was like it was it was his hands, his hands. Yeah, that's all I'm thinking of, is like all of the adventures, just the cut to just like completely different hands, just completely different.
Speaker 1: That is I'm gonna get it Russell Cooit in the second funnily enough, and yeah, so then his hands kind of leave the scene for a split second. There's an invisible cut, and then that pans up to see Paul Newman. It's really it's really nicely done. Robert Redford did not see this move until two thousand and four, and I can't find anywhere if he enjoyed the film or not, which is the next This is fact that Robert Reveie did not see his film to two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what did he think? We need to know?
Speaker 3: What did he think when he saw it? Did he think I'm the most beautiful man in the world.
Speaker 1: He may be actually scouring the you know, the podcast world or the internet to find reviews and you know, modern reviews. He could be listening to this right now.
Speaker 3: Robert, you did such a good job.
Speaker 1: I agree to Robert, and those criticism I have like the you know, take it or leave it to be honest, I'm probably wrong.
Speaker 3: You have a great run, Robert Redford, You have an incredible gait.
Speaker 2: He runs a lot, doesn't he?
Speaker 3: He runs so much?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Tom Cruise would be yea running going on here.
Speaker 3: There's so much running. And that's why there's been a couple of things I have auditioned for that have been like cops and I'm like, and I haven't gotten it, And I'm like, it's probably good because I have an obscene run. I have the run of someone who's running for public transport but doesn't want to commit to the run. But that's me really trying. It's not good. So if anyone listening needs that and anything coming up, please let me know.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think if I've ever had the run on the screen but it's one of those things you don't really think about until you have to do it, Like you don't think what look, the older you get, the less you run. Obviously, yeah, well actually run.
Speaker 2: To keep fit.
Speaker 1: So I've heard it's a thing I think the millennials are starting to do.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know unless you unless your doctor has said you've got to start running. There's no reason.
Speaker 1: I'm going to rephrase this that they will don't run. You really don't run in a panic, like you know. I never run. I've never run for public chain. There's a choice I made many years.
Speaker 3: Ago my dignity, and I've done a routine about it where there's always somebody on.
Speaker 1: The train going, look at that fat fuck running for a train, because I've been that person saying that same thing about somebody else.
Speaker 3: And everyone's like, why why are you saying?
Speaker 2: Why loud?
Speaker 1: But I when you have to do it and be film doing it, you kind of think how do I How do I run? I just run as I do? But is it a character choice? How would the character run or I'm just gonna run as I would run?
Speaker 3: I would absolutely overthink it. I think my body would collapse to the floor. Yeah, there'd be too many things going on in my brain because I would think about the hank. Do you do you do cruse hands where they're just like like tiny sharp dinner plates next to you, or do you do that because the sprint, yes, where he uses his arms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really goes for it.
Speaker 1: But I I think I'm sure I've run into scenes almost like into a room where it's like it's not really a full on sprint, it's just like the.
Speaker 3: Like the cramer. Yes, you've done a Cramer.
Speaker 2: I've done a Cramer. How to Stay Married?
Speaker 1: I always try to enter through a door at pace and pete this it seems a derivative.
Speaker 3: We're gonna cut around this. No, no, no, no, this is the one.
Speaker 1: This is definitely the one. These are all fun facts. By the way, I did look up like other highest films, one of the most famous highst films, and there was a list that I saw and this was at number fourteen, top highest film. Some of the films that came after it were The Italian Job, which is great. We've covered that on this podcast. The Ocean Films, Heat Inception.
Speaker 2: I Hate Reservoir.
Speaker 1: Dogs, Bonnie and Clyde the Usual Suspects amazing. We've covered that film as well. American Animals Is for those who haven't seen, is a great heighst film that was about ten years ago, like.
Speaker 2: Independent film about an artist. It was great.
Speaker 1: Some of the films in front of it, so below fourteen we're dog Day Afternoon. Great film, A fish called Wonder.
Speaker 3: I forgot about a fish Court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we covered that with Xenro on this and the movie that I actually watched a little bit of the.
Speaker 2: Other night and I love it. One of David A. Russell's early films, Three Kings.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen.
Speaker 2: It's a great film directed by David A. Russell.
Speaker 1: Spike Jones is in it, who then goes on and directs, you know, being John Malkovich and adaptation and George Clooney, Ice Cube and Matt Wooburg and it's about it. It's one of the first films that I saw, kind of set in the Iraq War, you know, and it's about three soldiers, four actor soldiers, who decide to steal Saddam Hussein's gold in the final days of the Iraq War. It's a great film. It's it's really cool.
Speaker 2: Other movies.
Speaker 1: Another great film that may have You may have missed Hell or High Water from about five years ago, a great film as well. The Number and and and other films I hadn't heard of, the Ashfelt Jungle, Friends.
Speaker 2: Of Eddie Coyle, The Lady Killers.
Speaker 1: Which there come Brothers three made a while ago, and the Lavender Hill Mob. There's some films I had, the older films that I haven't heard much about.
Speaker 2: The Number one was.
Speaker 1: A film we have it on this podcast with Josh Earl, The Taking of Palham one two three, which was remade with Denzel Washington in I reckon the Nineties.
Speaker 2: But that's a train heist film. That's a good one. That's good. It's Gene Hackman.
Speaker 3: Oh that's all. I love Gene the hack.
Speaker 2: Man, The hack Man, the hack Man.
Speaker 1: I love Geene Hackman so much that I deliberately avoid hearing about what he's like because I heard. I heard, I think through making some Wes Anderson films, The Royal Tann and Arms, and he wasn't necessarily great to work with. Yeah, so I'm just like, oh, well, I'm sure he was just you know, you know, having a moment, but you know it's.
Speaker 3: Not Yeah, you don't want to meet your heroes.
Speaker 1: You gotta be very careful speaking of meeting your heroes. I saw thank God you're here, the congratulations you stormed it again and the look on your face and how you handled it.
Speaker 2: It made me laugh out loud.
Speaker 1: Russell Coit appears you're in like a hospital and they pull back a curtain. There's another patient you need to see, and it's Glenn Robins, the Great Glenn Robins as Russell Koy And what was I mean? You don't expect celebrity cameos in thank You'd never know what's about to happen on that show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're pushing it more and more and more.
Speaker 1: I've been honored to I was I did it in its first incarnation, and I was a judge last year and I'm judging again this year in an episode it's such a thrill and in honor to be involved. And then Jes pushing it more and more and the Haveitlenn.
Speaker 3: Was so oh my god, I literally got dizzy, like I like I I didn't say this, but because the when I was Heidi, who's one of the incredible like actors as part of the Thank God the Troupe was lying in the bed and I turned around and I saw this little feet dangling behind the curtain, and just very quickly I went out, there's a guy there. But I didn't think anything of it because there's so much happening. And then they pull the curtain back and I see Russell Coy and I screamed, and I start dancing like a toddler because my body is too overwhelmed. But I looked at him and it was one of those outer body experiences where I just got dizzy. I didn't hear anything because I just went that's Glennom.
Speaker 2: Going wrong.
Speaker 3: I my mom and my brother and I used to watch all those The Adventures all the time, like Kath and Kim absolutely like stands loved it. And then I just watched it and I was just like ah. And then but this was the thing, because I was like, that was amazing. And then going backstage and he's just sitting there, hey going Frankie, and I was like, oh no, I wasn't ready for this speed. I thought, you just like dissolve no. And then I had to have a conversation where God, I hope I was normal. I hope I probably wasn't.
Speaker 1: I think Glenn's probably used to it a little bit like but I'm sure you were. I'm sure you were. And Glenny's so lovely and here's one of my absolutely heroes and I go back him further with him, I'm a comedy company and yeah and all that. So I it's always a joy to be in his presence for me, as all the working Dog people as well, you know, Rob and Santo and Tom and all of them, Jane and it's incredible. But he Yeah, he's this amazing career where he means something different to almost each ten years he's had something like comedy company, then Kathin Kim and then Russell Koit like, yeah, very few people have that, you know that many cracks like creating something that is long lasting and has legacy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think like the amount of people who are like friends of mine who messaged me and were just like what the hell, I'm like, yeah, he's got such a hold on just like the entire Australian comedy world of just everyone freaking out because he's just he's done so much and he's so funny. And then we were like chatting about just what like the Melbourne comedy scene was like in terms of it was it used to be. He said that he was doing it was very much cabaret and like you'd have a lot of characters you've had, like, yeah, like full variety rather than it just being stand up. Yeah, and I feel like that's happening a little bit more now, which is so cool. But yeah, it was just wild and just straight away just like had to call mom and be like, Mom, don't don't say anything. You can't do the thing where you say that and then you tell everyone, and yeah, she freaked out. She was like, oh my god, what do you mean, what's you like?
Speaker 1: Well, you tended to like maybe go over and watch it with her and let's see her reaction it happened, or you're probably too excited to you just needed to.
Speaker 3: She's in camera and I'm in Melbow, so we couldn't. But she messaged me straight away, but just one of those mom messages going I thought you were very good and look at Russell and I was like, oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: But you had it so because you were like you still had one hand and one foot in the scene and one foot in the this is I'm having a moment as a as a comedian, here as a moment, and it was. It was actually a joy to watch you straddle that moment and you can see the adrenaline that was going through on the surprise and the shock it was. If you haven't seen it beyond ten play, I'm sure check it out. But mate, this this comes with homework, this this podcast. You have done it to a very high degree. Thank you so much for spending time both watching the movie and with me. You are absolutely killing it. We've gigged together quite a few times and you're always a joy to watch. And hopefully there's many more gigs we get to do.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me the gift of being able to watch a movie I hadn't seen. That was just a highlight. I was so excited. This has been so nice. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Your frank.
Speaker 1: Yes so good. I just wanted to hear it again and again. So simple, but I enjoyed that very much, both a score and chatting to Frankie McNair. So glad Frankie enjoyed the movie. Like I said, because Frankie plays his Tabitha Booth character, I thought she may have a love or a penchant for old Hollywood, and I think I was right. I think I was right. Frankie is amazing. Whenever you see Frankie's name on a bill, get there, Get there. Very funny, very funny, very talented. It's a real joy to have her joining me today. If you're enjoying the show, see nothing yet it comes to you for free. You don't pay a single thing for it. So I do ask that you can go to our iTunes on our iTunes, nothing to do with it, to be honest, but the iTunes page and give us a rating and a review. I recommend five stars. But this is a democracy, so do what you like and you can leave a review, and it just helps the algorithm move in a certain direction. The right direction for us gets the word out there, which we love to do. The podcast is doing very well. We're years into this now. It's amazing. We're up over one hundred and fifty shows. Yeah, absolutely loving it. Somebody left their review just recently, Meghan. Thank you Meghan for leaving a five star review. She says, the podcast is wonderful. I love this podcast, thoughtful and funny reviews. Ellia is a genuine film lover and a generous interviewer.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Meghan for that.
Speaker 1: We also had Brad say great podcast with enjoyable chats, Pete picks excellent guests Yes I think I do, who are generally laid and interesting. Discussion around favorite films has sent me back to watch movies I haven't seen. Excellent podcast. Thank you very much. I do love doing this podcast. And one more from Debia Yasney rocks. I'm discovering how much i love the detail and nuance of movies. I've watched dozens of featured films after the episode to remind me of what I loved or missed out on the first time around. Enhances my film enjoyment no end.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Also this goes on to say, first of all, Yasney live at Grapes of Mirth and binged all I could. Straight after that, my perception of films and filmmaking forever reset. Thanks Pete and your marvelous lineup of talent. Thank you, and the guests are so good. And next week we have an absolute beauty. We have a comedian whose star has been rising for quite a few years now. You may have seen him on The hundred with Andy Lee. Mike Goldstein will be in the studio with me and he will be covering a film which I've been wanting to do for a long time. That's right, Mike Goldstein will be covering The Big Chill. People have recommended or suggested or asked, and we are delivering that for you next week with Mike Goldstein. Until then, buck an.
Speaker 2: Out, and so we leave old Pete save fan soul, and
Speaker 1: To our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.