Speaker 1: Gooday.
Speaker 2: Before we get into today's episode, a very exciting and historic announcement. We are doing the very first You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet live record at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival on Sunday, the tenth of April at three pm at the Melbourne Town Hall.
Speaker 1: One show only.
Speaker 2: It is myself and on stage my great mate and finally, those who have been listening to this podcast have been waiting for this episode. Judith Lucy will be joining me on stage because she has never seen the Julie Andrews Christopher Plummer classic The Sound of Music. I know she's the only person in the world who has still not seen that movie. That classic will be on stage at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival Sunday, the tenth of April, three pm.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Come along, bring your friends, bring your family, bring you all your everyone you've ever known, who's ever seen the Sound of Music, and we'll find out exactly what Judith Lucy can't face.
Speaker 1: For tickets go.
Speaker 2: To Comedy dot com dot au or the Melbourne International Comedy Festival website.
Speaker 1: Good a, Peter Helly here, welcome to You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet?
Speaker 2: In the Movie Podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now, and today's guest comedian mate Adam Rosenbark's.
Speaker 3: The first rule of play club is you do not talk about fake club.
Speaker 2: Now as your friend up, you broke my heart.
Speaker 3: I admire your luck.
Speaker 1: Mister Bond, James Bob have an right now.
Speaker 4: You don't see nothing here.
Speaker 2: Adam Rosenbarks has been a great mate and collaborator of mine for nearly two decades. He has written on many of the shows I've worked on, from Rogue, Live, Before.
Speaker 1: The Game and Ski House.
Speaker 2: Rosie is one of the top go to comedy writers in the country, currently working on The Front Bar and The Weekly. He also co wrote Brian Straan Pure Bs with myself and Paul Colegia. He's also an author under his own scheme with Paris and Other Disappointments, a travelogue that chronicled a trip through Europe with his dad, The Lovable Homebody Tom, becoming.
Speaker 1: A best seller. It is a really fun read.
Speaker 2: He has appeared on almost every top rating radio show in the country, but it's possibly on stage where he star shines.
Speaker 1: Brightest or possibly darkest.
Speaker 2: The Age once wrote of Rosie thinks Seinfeld but with a black heart. It's not a bad observation. Rosie's comedy he ers on the acerbic. It's biting, it's dry, and it's sharp. Some of his hot takes have landed him in hot water. In the Twitter verse. You can see Rosie right now the Melbourne International Comedy Festival in his new show called No You Calm Down. Personally, Rosie is a great company. He's observant, he's generous, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 5: I'm oudam Rosenbucks and my three favorite films are Good Fellas.
Speaker 3: I'm here to fucking amuse you. What do you mean funny? Funny?
Speaker 1: How?
Speaker 4: How am I funny?
Speaker 5: Reservoir dogs?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: You guys like to tell jogs and giggle and kidderanah, ggling like.
Speaker 4: A bunch of young broys in the schoolyard.
Speaker 8: And I had a toss up between two comedy films.
Speaker 5: It was going to be old school, but I went with There's Something about Mary because.
Speaker 8: I saw that first.
Speaker 4: Is that a hair gel?
Speaker 5: Up until last night, I'd never seen Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost arc.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, surely there are some films that need no introduction. It's Raiders of the Last Dark for Fox's sake. Seriously, Harris and Ford plays Indiana Jones at Humphrey Beaugard esque archaeologists searching for some made up thing that the Nazis want. It's nineteen eighty one and mate Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have teamed up. I mean, that's pretty amazing in itself, isn't it? To make a throwback Mattney adventure movie? That may just be one of the most perfect action adventure movies ever made. Nominated for Best Picture Oscar in nineteen eighty one, Raiders of the Last Dark takes itself exactly the right amount of serious, as perfect the screenplay as there has been from Lawrence Kasden with George Lucas helping with story. Once you start watching Raiders of the Low, it's bloody hard to stop. There are fistfights, duplicity, trees and bogey traps, danger a Fedora, and bloody hell, don't we get the season Nazis melt? He may also be the only movie in history where a monkey gives a Hail Hitler, Salute. Fuck that little guy, Adam Rosenbucks. I'm going to ask you a question. Be very careful on how you answer. How did you feel seeing so much Nazi? How did you feel seeing so much Nazi face?
Speaker 1: Melt?
Speaker 5: Look, it was tough. I kind of knew they were in for a bad time from the start. You know, Nazis always portrayed quite badly in these kind of films they do.
Speaker 2: And because a lot of the actors playing Nazis were actually English, the accents aren't great. So I feel like the Nazis are oden apology. I think based on some of these accents.
Speaker 5: Well, the Nazis did a lot for the film industry, didn't they Like, if you need a bad guy for what eighty years, you've gone, well, let's go like now to be Russians because of the invasion of Ukraine, and and you know, like you look at it during film, how things change over time, and who are the bad guys? It's Middle East and it's Russian, but the Nazis. If you need to go to you go the Nazis, and no one's ever gone. They've gone them again. You're safe, You're in safe territory.
Speaker 2: No, I think we can al say fuck the Nazis and we will get to that. It's a very good point you actually make, and we will get to it. I'm so glad somebody finally nominated Raiders at the Lost Dark. It's one of my favorite films. I grew up like I grew up. I used to like keep a list of my favorite films. Okay, and Temple of Doom was always ahead of Raiders of the Lost Dark. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that Raiders is a better film. In fact, I think it's a pretty perfect film. But why hadn't you gotten around to watch it?
Speaker 5: I was asking myself the same question when you said to me, what's a film you hadn't seen? And I thought, of Raiders are the Lost Dark? And I just don't understand why we hadn't. Whether dad was you know, anti Nazi, you know, sledging back then because he was born in Germany, but because that was right in my wheelhouse at that time. You know, I loved Star Wars. I was a big you know what was the third one of the Jedi? Return of the Jedi.
Speaker 8: I love that one.
Speaker 5: For whatever reason, never saw Empire Strikes back as a child skip that one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we saw Star Wars at the drive in.
Speaker 2: You got to tell you that there were no Nazis as a strike. I mean Vader probably is.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 8: I wasn't happy with that. So it was right at that time because you said it came out of eighty one.
Speaker 5: I've got a brother who's five years older, so I imagine he would have seen that.
Speaker 8: But maybe I honestly have no reason.
Speaker 5: I will be asked my parents why we never saw that and it just didn't exist throughout my teen years and I never saw it.
Speaker 2: But I guess back then when you're watching, so Empire comes out in eighty for seventy, I think eighteen in Australia, this comes out in nine eighty one, so and then Jedi comes out eighty three. I'm going to say eighty f I think you're right. So you know it was it was harder like to you know, you couldn't have stream Empire Strikes by not even been available on video by the time the Turn of the Jedi comes out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And the thing was, if your parents didn't take you to see it, it wasn't in your world. There wasn't a way that you could go as an eight year old to go. I think I'm going to just go pop out and see it. It just didn't exist. There was no streaming available, so you just if it wasn't at home, then you didn't see it.
Speaker 2: We had a local guy, like a friend of the family, Joe Bazinski, and I'll never forget. And I went to school with his daughter primary school, Blinda, who was lovely and we were mates. And I got invited over to the house and I'll never forget and we had just gotten a video and I'll never forget. Joe Bizinski just, yeah, he knew I loved movies, and he opened this cave.
Speaker 1: He has come with me.
Speaker 2: He overs his cupboard and it was just full of VHS tapes with labels on them, and it was literally like films that had not been released on yet old train of the Jedi.
Speaker 8: He was the original Thailand.
Speaker 1: He was market was Thailand. Absolutely. I'm not sure where he was getting it from. You know, if the FEDS are listening to this after he's a good guy. He was a good man.
Speaker 2: And he borrowed, Yeah, he borrowed us some some videotapes and I remember the Return of the Jedi was one of them. I'd already seen it at the cinema, but it was very exciting for me.
Speaker 5: Because remember when there was that time when people would film things in cinemas and people actually bought that, Like you'd go and you'd go because it was no other access to it, and you'd you'd pay what twenty dollars or ten dollars for a Baralinese knockoff of it, and it would just be someone for me. You'd see people walking around, you'd hear coughing, and you're like, who the fuck can you imagine doing that?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 8: What a fucking nightmare of a way to watch a film.
Speaker 2: This is househeel beg one bit to watch it. But funnily I only noticed yesday I whant to saw The Batman. Actually for the second time I went and saw it. I took my youngest son to see it, and for some reason I noticed this on the way, and it's a please, you know, please, no film of the movie. You know, so I can understand it's obviously still happening to an extent. I mean, you'd be able to get a better quality because of you know what our phones can do now. But at the same time, who really is watching that? I guess people leak things, use it to leak things on the internet with their doing their own reviews or spoilers or something, and I can understand it before the film is released, but why, but why are people filming movies that are out already?
Speaker 5: I would actively encourage that because anyone who's you know, confident enough to sit there for two hours with the phone in their hand or on a little tripod and not knock it and stuff, you just go. If you're committed to watching it on that format, then go for it. If you've got friends who really need it that desperately, then I'm all for it.
Speaker 2: Listening to Next Year Eat their Chips switched to me because I apparently quite loudly anyway.
Speaker 5: Sultan Vinegar, that's a big call because you're going to be going through a lot of water during the movie.
Speaker 1: Somebody is the king and I won't hear anything else.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I was.
Speaker 5: I was always told to stay away from it because I'm masthematic. So Dad reckon that vinegar gave me asthma.
Speaker 1: I never had it, is Andy Vinegar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, So when we got fish and chips, it would always be like my brother and sister would want vinegar and be like no old weeklungs over there can't handle.
Speaker 8: So I'm envious of you just chowering down on it with confidence.
Speaker 2: I mean there are other lovely chips as well. Yeah, I'm it is a weakness of mine. If like we, my kids now love so vinegar. So if when we go to do our grocery shopping, we need to buy like three packs of Soody chips, because as soon as one of thes opened.
Speaker 1: In fact, the second or third date I.
Speaker 2: Went out with Bridge, we went to the movies and she got some popcorn and I got some someony good chips.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I pay for it.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 8: You're doing well.
Speaker 2: But she went over doing ak and she went over to grabbing somebody good chips and they will almost finished off the movie and barely and stuff.
Speaker 5: She went to give you a kiss after the change, just got these white lips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks stun for like literally week.
Speaker 5: Going back to just quickly. You know the knockoff movies that you buy, That's how I saw Blair Witch. And in a lot of those films that you bought, the knockoffs, they would cut off the ending. I've never seen the ending of blair Witch because it was this version and I just never got around to see it because i'd seen most of us.
Speaker 8: Like, I can't be fucked.
Speaker 1: It's something about somebody's standing in the corner or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, looking forward to discussing so much to discuss about Raiders. Yes there is dark, but let's talk about your three favorite films. Cracking films, each one of them. Good Fellas has been nominated before somebody's favorite film. I'm sure a few people, actually it is. It is so good.
Speaker 5: I just from start to finish, there's just not a dull moment in it. And I reckon I've seen it like twenty plus times because when it's on, I'll just happen to watch it. I'll always hit record if I see it on foxtail, and it's just a really easy watch late at night, you've had a few beers, you can't be bother concentrating on something, so I just whack it on in the background, and my god, it's just the pace of it is incredible, and it's just amazing, Like it's just amazing filmmaking.
Speaker 8: And it doesn't feel like it's two and a half hours long.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and the pacing is is so quick throughout the film. But then you have that final act when he's making the past source and then he's getting I forgot what he's delivering, or he's picking up a package and the helicopters. He's got a nine the helicopter and he's doing coke at the same time. It's just it is frenetic, and it's just it's like greatly is.
Speaker 8: He's magnificent, isn't it.
Speaker 5: And every time I'm having one of those days where there's like twenty eight different things going on, always think in my head, yeah, it's like that final scene of driving around you're dropping guns off of your wife's parents' house and all this sort of stuff. It's just it's so good and just even and it doesn't even end there where he's busted. You know, they've got the bit where you know he's wrapping out all his mates, and then it keeps going and then he gets to live the rest of his life like a schnook.
Speaker 8: And it's just like what a fucking ending. It's just such a good movie.
Speaker 2: And Jopesky is amazing as Tommy. I mean, they talk about fearing, like a different way of instilling fear into someone. He's got the Napoleon's in drome of being the other short guy. And the scene with Spider makes the joke and we've seen it before, we've seen him kind of like you know people, you know, him holding court and making every laugh and then Henry hill ralely On's character making a joke and everyone's worried, you know, like.
Speaker 1: What are you saying? What are you saying? A funny guy?
Speaker 2: Funny funny how And it's just so it's so good, and it's so good because it sets up that other moment later on when Spider makes the joke but spideresn't allowed to make Tommy.
Speaker 5: No, and just the idea that you can you know he is a psychopath. But the way that they build that tension is you don't know which way it's going to go, and in that you just you're on the edge of your seat, even you know knowing what's coming. You're just like a spider.
Speaker 4: Funny, really funny.
Speaker 1: You know that story. It's funny.
Speaker 4: You're a funny guy.
Speaker 3: You mean the way I talk, but it's just you know, you're just funny.
Speaker 7: It's you know, the way you tell the story and everything funny?
Speaker 3: How I mean what's funny about?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: You got a wrong Anthony.
Speaker 3: He's a big boy. He knows what he said.
Speaker 4: What'd you say?
Speaker 3: Funny?
Speaker 7: How?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Just you're you're funny?
Speaker 3: You mean, let me understand because I you know, maybe it's SMA a little fucked up. Maybe, well I'm funny? How I mean funny? Like I'm a clown. I amuse you. I make you laugh. I'm here to fucking amuse you. What do you mean funny? Funny? How? How am I funny?
Speaker 8: Oh man, you shouldn't have said that.
Speaker 5: You know, everyone's laughing at him, not with him, and it's just going against Joe Pesci and oh Man, Tommy, you know, and even like when they're in the bar and Billy Bats is out out of prison and he says, you know, get your fucking shine box, and it's just.
Speaker 8: On and you're like, what a scene.
Speaker 5: You know, it's just so many great scenes, and yeah, what a great film.
Speaker 1: And de Niro is so good.
Speaker 2: When you think of de Niro, you think of him being the more menacing kind of style character. He's almost quite even tempered in this one. Compared to the lunatics around him.
Speaker 8: He's still a callous killer, but he's not he's not yet.
Speaker 5: He's not as wild as like Tommy is, and yeah, not not as as kind of loose as he is in other films. Yeah, yeah, but oh yeah.
Speaker 8: He's fuck, he's good.
Speaker 5: There's so many good characters in that show. And when they go on that murdering spree, that is one of the most fantastic scenes. They start finding all the bodies, you know, yeah, people in the back of the the meat truck, you know, frozen and stuff like that.
Speaker 8: So so many good killings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you love murder, yeah, this is the one for you. And it's it's just everyone's so good. I mean, Lorraine Brucco, who Lady to be Tony Sopranos, you know, Shrink is fantastic in it.
Speaker 1: It's an absolute crack.
Speaker 2: And this stylistically, I mean all there's you know Scorsese with the move, you know, the pan through you know, and you sing all these characters. I mean, that's been that's been copied so many times.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Poor Thomas Anderson uses a lot of booging arts and a lot of his films and it's just yeah, And.
Speaker 5: They tried to do that scene where they walk through so he basically walks from the street through the kitchen into the nightclub to get a seat at the at the at the venue that they're at, And they tried to do that for Bonfire the Vanities.
Speaker 8: There's a there's an amazing scene at the start of.
Speaker 5: That and they talk about you know, how that goes, and how that was they tried to do it all in one shot, and just how fucking difficult it is because everyone's got to be on you know, yeah, over a minute and a half. Everyone's got to hit their spots at the right time and just go, Man, it looks fantastic. But when you think when you break it down and go, how do they do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's I mean, they're always got to do Now, it's a little bit easier with steady cams where you move the cameras are more mobile, you can walk with it.
Speaker 1: But ninety one is incredible.
Speaker 2: It is you because the pressure I've been in, you know, scenes where they're longer scenes, you know, and I'm talking nothing like obviously nothing even as long as this, but you know, you know that things and you know you know your line might be coming up.
Speaker 8: Really you feel the pressure, you really feel.
Speaker 2: When we do promos for the project. I'm usually the one who does the last one.
Speaker 5: And even when I was second, even when I was a Cold superhero, I felt the pressure.
Speaker 1: We go. We wanted to get into that.
Speaker 8: All the all the extras doing the shopping behind me.
Speaker 5: You know, when you start out in comedy, you're like, I'd love to be in film or whatever, and you get you get like a gig is an extra whatever it is, and fuck it's boring. Yeah, oh, and you're stuck there. Man in the back is in the back of a shot. Like you know, even when you're in skitHOUSE, you might have been in the back of a scene and you're not really doing much, but you've got to not do much. When the people fuck up, you've got to do it again. Yeah, it's and I felt for everyone. So I was the Cold superhero for Cold Supermarkets for a little while.
Speaker 1: Out of the m c U or is it DC DC.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, we breakaway. I was m CU and I broke away. We start a rebel league and just.
Speaker 5: Felt like they were like, you're shoving too vigorously or you know, stop moving so quickly, and it was just like, Wow, they really coping it and all they're doing is you know, reaching up and grabbing a product off the back of the you know, the shell.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 2: I would often to apologize to the extras, you know, if they were like if they had to hit various marks of stuffing that we were doing. How to say, married the first people I apologize, I wouldn't wouldn't apologize the leasa, my my co star, or the director. Sorry, extra, you gotta you gotta walk again. Excellent reservoir dogs. I mean, in the same kind of universe it feels, isn't it's it's such a cracking film, the debut feature film from Quentin Tarantino.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just brilliant.
Speaker 8: I loved it, like the first time I saw that.
Speaker 5: So I saw it at the Keno Cinemas in Melbourne, and I hadn't heard much about it. I just knew that was kind of a high sort of film and it went long. And saw it and it's quite short. I reckon for you know that that kind of genre really pacey and you know, one of the first films whereas fantastic integration of music and I reckon that sort of started happening around that time. Obviously Good Fellows is the same, you know, really good soundtrack, and Reservoir Dogs is one of those ones that it was built around that radio station hosted by Stephen Wright, you know KBB, and it's amazing, it's just fantastic. It's such a great film and you don't know what's going to happen, and then the reveal of Tim Roth is the cop and it's just really pacy, really good dialogue and just snappy and.
Speaker 2: Well it's such a simple idea, really yeah, you know, and this is because it was his first film. It's that whole idea of like where what can you write that basically takes place in one place? Now there are other places because we go through the robbery through flashbacks and you know, there are other on the streets of the venues, on the streets and in the car, but the majority of it takes place in the warehouse. So the saw guys who just basically did it in you know, one basically one room. And if you're making an independent film and you haven't got a big budget, it's it's a smart thing to do. James Joarn and Leewanell of course the Saw guys for those wondering and playing along at home, and this the dialogue was so.
Speaker 5: I was about to say it was one of the first times that you saw that a movie.
Speaker 8: Could be darkly funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, really kind of there's lines that Christopher Penn has where he's like, oh, you know, I'll go and get someone. He's like, who goes fucking snake charm? Who do you think you know? After someone's been shot? And just all these lines that they come up with, and you just go, it was really darkly funny, and that kind of you know, that translated into The Sopranos, which is another really darkly funny show, yew Fargo, all those kind of things where you go, it can be dark, but there's also you know, there's black comedy and all that, and that's what I love about those.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not really sure, like nobody's really likable, you know, like they're likable because they're funny, but they're not You're not kind of going, I hope, you know, I hope mister White wins necessarily. I mean some people might, I guess, but you're not really sure who you're supposed to be and because you notice so much treeson going on, you know, yes, really, which is a great part of it. You don't know who's the good guy. You're trying to work it out Mashemi. And also like it was the first time he's seen like Mashemi and Tim Roth. Yes, and as those guys who become you know, particularly Steve Mashemi just one of the the all time great character actors and Indie Darling for a long time.
Speaker 1: But yes, so so bloody good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that scene with mister Pink, So it's all these hard guys and then you know he's having this argument which is what normal guys would do, argue about I don't want to be called mister Pink, you know, because it sounds you know, back then they was under sounds homosexual, and he was just getting stuck into it and it was just kind of it was ridiculously funny in the middle of this highst movie and everyone's just like and then there was a break to stop down for them.
Speaker 8: To all argue about their colors.
Speaker 5: It was just like child like teenagers arguing in the middle of a highst.
Speaker 2: As it was behind the scenes of a heist. Yeah, which was I think was really lovely. I mean, you know, in this scene, I remember my dad being really really hating it because my dad worked for the National Crime Authority of the NCAA. So the one of the controversial scenes was Michael Masden, who was the blonde cutting the ear off the police officer.
Speaker 1: Because your dad's pro is, isn't he he loves his ears.
Speaker 2: If he touches ears, he's like, funnily enough, Mary's brother.
Speaker 1: And there's something that Mary, my dad goes nuts.
Speaker 8: Yeah, your dad does not go to van Go.
Speaker 1: Exhibitions.
Speaker 2: So he was always very aded this this film because it comes out in ninety one, yeah, ye, ninety two. Yeah, so you know, I'm sixteen seventeen, so yeah, I'm watching the films that I want to watch, but he's It was very controversial when it came out, and particularly that scene got a lot of, you know a lot of comment socially. But again, what like the juxtaposition of you know, somebody razoring off somebody's ear to the you know, to the tune of Stuck in the Middle as he dances to it, and doing it with such abandoned and joy was really it was kind of it was maybe a fascinating watch.
Speaker 5: And then every dance floor after that, so whenever stuck in the middle with you would come on to the dance so everyone would do that Michael Madison kind of walk backwards in the dance of him just about to cut a guy's ears. It was just it was an incredible way that it became part of our lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I imagine Bucks, Buddies and Hen's Knights a bit and now we cut your ear off, but it's a pre tend knife.
Speaker 1: We're going to go through the There's.
Speaker 2: Something that Mary is a fantastic comedy by the Fairly Brothers. It is laugh out loud funny, like it's sometimes comedies don't people can forget how funny a comedy is. I'm not even sure if there's something that Mary fits into this. I think people kind of do really fondly remember it, but it is really just so so, so so so funny.
Speaker 8: I couldn't agree more. And I went in.
Speaker 5: I didn't know much about the Faily Brothers, so they came out in like I'm going to say ninety seventy ish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they maybe like king Pin, I think, you know, yeah.
Speaker 8: For the dumb and Dummer was that before then.
Speaker 7: Ye.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was never a big fan of Jim Carrey or.
Speaker 5: I don't think I saw a Kingpin, So I was kind of like I knew of them and but was never a huge fan. And so when that came out, I went along knowing nothing about it. And that first scene where Ben Stiller is in stuck in the bathroom and he zipped himself up, mate, I fucking lost it so hard. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: We have a bleeder.
Speaker 2: I mean, what a lie when you we have on one or two lines in a movie yelling out, we have a bleeder.
Speaker 1: He's the line you watch.
Speaker 5: And then when they which wasn't scripted, but when they're going to put him in the back of the ambulance and they drop him, which was an accident, and they kept it in the film, and it actually hits his elbow on the.
Speaker 8: Side, and it's like, that's perfect. That's so perfect.
Speaker 5: And the setting up of you know, his character as being a little bit of a loser, and you know, the dad being over the top of him, and the brother and Mary and all that sort of stuff was just almost everything was perfectly set up there, and how much he loves her and what he'd do for her, and it just and there's just so many funny bits through the movie.
Speaker 8: It just holds all the way through. It doesn't drop off.
Speaker 5: It's not one of those comedy films that comes out of the blocks real hard and drops off.
Speaker 8: It just I Reckon holds all the way through it.
Speaker 2: And it's got twists and we'll speak, we'll speak, you know during you know, when we chat soon about Raiders. The idea of needing to torture your characters as far as when you're when you're writing something and.
Speaker 1: The family brothers do it so well.
Speaker 2: I mean that you know, obviously has scrowed him in the zippery is is one. I mean obviously has gone what's the worst thing that could happen? Yes, you know, and that's what you should be asking yourself when you're writing, like, what is the worst thing that could happen?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 1: Can we torture our protagonists?
Speaker 2: And they do, even when before then he rocks up to the house and the doors answer by Mary's father. He's African Americans, so and it starts saying what.
Speaker 1: Are you talking? Who are you? Like?
Speaker 2: Like he just he's not allowed to get comfortable, and at any moment where he starts feeling comfortable, they fucking knock him right back. Yeah, they hummel him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love the I remember that family brothers saying. Somebody asks him, when did you know you had a hit on your hand? Like as far as when you're making it as a scene that you kind of thought was it, And a lot of people think of the you know, one of the big set plays like that scroed him in the zipper and he said, no, it's it was the scene when Matt Dillon's character Heally says, sue him. He goes back and reports on him, and he says, oh, man, she's you know, she's ob since she's in a wheelchair and she's got eight kids, and paints in his mind the worst possible picture he could paint for Mary. And then Ben Steel's character Ted Still says, oh, no, I want to I.
Speaker 8: Want to pursue it.
Speaker 1: Want to pursue her. He goes, that was when we knew we had we had something great.
Speaker 2: It's a really good point because that gives it it's actually got a much bigger heart than people.
Speaker 1: Actually, absolutely it does.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and then he calls her roller Pig.
Speaker 1: I mean, Matt his character so fucking funny.
Speaker 5: When he gets his teeth done, when he just rocks up and he's at the at the strip bar and he goes at the coffer that'll be five bucks choppers.
Speaker 1: When and when he's talking about all the charity stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he's talking about working with the handicapped kids and stuff, and the language is so offensive, but it's just it sums up his character and it's so it's so wrong and funny, and they nailed him perfectly. And he's such a like good looking bloke that it's just so you know, disarming that he's saying this kind of thing, or not disarming, like I'm just dumb.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of the stuff that shouldn't be like, you know, canceled as such, because you need to be able to reflect assholes in cinema. Absolutelyople who get it wrong and people who are just fucking nasty, and.
Speaker 8: Because they exist, people are out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if we pretend they don't exist, and I think that leads us down a tricky slope as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because I mean some of the things that you were saying before we started this, well, you know.
Speaker 1: The MIC's are on now, ye bring that back up.
Speaker 2: Okay, we should point out before we get into it that Rosie's dad is certainly not a Nazi.
Speaker 1: We have made some cracks.
Speaker 2: I thought I wanted to say that before we before we do move on, But he was he was born in Germany. I mean, we'll do some research, will do some research. I just cover my basis. That's all I'm doing. If you get a visit from the Feds.
Speaker 5: No, no, No, Dad and I we went back, as you know, we went back to Germany together. I wrote a book about it called Paris and Other Disappointments, and we look through the history and there was no no Nazism as far as we could find. So we are safe on safe ground.
Speaker 1: What is that show? God, who do you think you are? Yeah, which I've been asked to do.
Speaker 2: I was just asked to do a pre pandemic and then it got kind of shut down, and you know, I hope I get to do it one day. But like you do have people who have gone on that show and found some really terrible Boddy's secrets. Yeah, not always Nazi based, but like you know, pedophilia and even you know, in the slave trade, and like really, like when you go rock up thinking I'm just gonna get a free hole. They here and find out what Arnie Josie was up there, and so oh Annie Josie wasn't nice?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, why are they taking this through Syria?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 8: The head of ices, he keept back quiet.
Speaker 1: That's we Uncle Gavin. When I thought he was just you said he was going to BALI.
Speaker 8: Said he was playing for the Ballei Bombers.
Speaker 5: I thought they were a footing team.
Speaker 2: Let's get going, go, we have a cracking movie to chat about, right, is a Lost Art nineteen eighty one. Steven Spielberg directed it. George Dougas helped devise the story. In fact, I think the idea a lot of it came from him, and it was written by Lawrence Kasden.
Speaker 8: Now is this the first time those two had collaborated?
Speaker 1: I believe.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, I believe what a super team like We got Jaws and Star Wars, two of the biggest names in the world coming together.
Speaker 8: That's that's fucking huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean they were mates and like this new these new Hollywood directors, you know, it was these to it was Francis Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Bogdanovitch and they all like they all really helped each other out. But this was I think the biggest example of them really kind of helping each other out. I mean, I think Spielberg had a lot gave a lot of important feedback to Lucas when he was making Star Wars. And it's almost when Joor showed those guys one of the early catch of Star Wars, a lot of them didn't quite get what he was going for. And apparently Spielberg was the one who kind of thought this is going to be huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I.
Speaker 2: Think that maybe the space crawl, you know, the start of the famous sat Star Wars, was Spielberg's idea. I think, yeah, Wow, And Spielberg in this in this there's a great I haven't read it, but I believe there's a great transcript that was basically somebody was basically taking minutes when Lucas, Kasden and Spielberg were discussing this movie. And there's a moment where Spilber goes, I've got an idea.
Speaker 1: How about like.
Speaker 2: When he goes into this tomb, there's this this giant board that chases him out like and sets his bogie trap and it's just like, well, that's just just right there. You're actually reading about the evolution of one of cinema's greatest moments.
Speaker 1: I should actually from the get go, did you enjoy it? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I did?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 5: I can I first ask who was a pitched at? Could do you know the rating of it? Because I was kind of like, there's moments where you go, this is really childish this film.
Speaker 8: It's aimed at kids.
Speaker 5: But then some of the stuff that happens that you're like, fuck me like that is that's nightmare inducing shit.
Speaker 8: It happens during the film.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's funny because you know there is yeah, there is really kind of full on stuff and this is nine eighty one, so what's full on in twenty twenty two is different.
Speaker 1: But you know, it was pretty gory stuff going on, and they were Nazi like, you know, yeah, you don't do that lightly.
Speaker 2: And although I think there's a reason why, you know, there's a good reason why I think Nazis and a helpful reason why Nazis are in there. But it was inspired by it, like the matinee kind of movies that George lucastems we grew up on. So Yeah, they were reasonably wholesome, you know kind of movies. I think they saw Indiana James being possibly a James Bond style character. George Lucas apparently thought it was really important and he like he wanted him to be like a womanizer, and Spielberg thought it was less important, you know. And there's a scene when after this's.
Speaker 1: The FBI or.
Speaker 2: C I a visit him and they that's where all the expedition goes on, which we'll talk about in a second.
Speaker 1: And then there's the next scene with Danna Allett's character Brody.
Speaker 2: Goes to Indy and he's like a robe and apparently the longer cut is there's a woman in the room and he's so and they just said that they don't need it. He doesn't need to be like James Bond. I think it's a really smart move because it was unnecessary. It was unnecessary.
Speaker 5: He's a good looking bloke and you drew if you found him sexy, that was or you needed to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he saw of the students loved him. Yeah, have you ever written a message on your eyelids?
Speaker 8: That was really interesting.
Speaker 5: It was just sort of there was some really random stuff during the film where you're like that, Okay, that's just a weird thing to do. But yeah, one girl closes their eyes and chairs I love you on written in our eyelids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think the film the answer your question is, you know, I mean I saw it, you know, when I was I mean, I think I probably saw it on VHS, because I don't think I would have seen it when I was six. I think maybe, and maybe I saw Temple of Doom first and then saw Ratus. Hence Temple Doom was my my favorite for a while. But it's I think it's it's the with the humor, and you know.
Speaker 5: There is a lot to offset it, yes, but the bit where like they're in South America and he's running out of it where you know, whether the boulder happens, and the guy who's kind of betrayed him he runs out and he's got the spikes all through him and that ship and it's just like if this is a kids movie and the rest of it, you know, most of it is pretty safe for kids, but that's just there's a couple of bits where you're like, fuck that would stay in your mind if you were seven or eight.
Speaker 8: Years of Babe.
Speaker 2: Well, even the very opening scene, even the score. I mean, when you've got John Williams doing your score, you got it. There's a secret weapon you have there absolutely to begin with. I mean that school. I mean the famous score that we played at the intro is what we all remember. But even that score, when they're going through the jungle, you don't see Indy's faith for a little while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And you have Alfa Molina in his very debut film, become one of the great actors.
Speaker 1: And he.
Speaker 2: And this was his first day, his first day, he had all the tarantulas on his back. That was welcome to well to filmmaking, Alfred. And what I really like is that the way Harrison Ford plays it like there is a cautiousness, like he's cautious, like he's he's brave. And the closer he gets there, you know, others are kind of like losing their shit a little bit. But so he managed to keep his shit together. But he is he kind of respects that this is this isn't a walk in the park. This is going to be this is going to take some navigation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people haven't been able to get here for hundreds of years and there's a reason for that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I'm playing it smart.
Speaker 2: So the eeriness, you know, and not seeing his face until he you know, he gets betrayed, which kind of sets up the idea that you know, betrayal is I think part of this story. And then he steps into the light with the great movie star shot. The film looks spectacular. It's really well lit.
Speaker 1: Oh it is. It is beautiful. And this I mean, you know, it's like pissing in their pocket.
Speaker 2: But it's like, there's a reason this is one of the other time great action adventure movies has been copied by so many films.
Speaker 5: And also choosing Harrison Ford I think was just a huge tick for them because you know, he's already in Star Wars. You know, he's very handsome and he suits what they needed from it. Were talking about it could have been Tom Selleck was who they originally wanted, and you think that would have been one would have been a slightly different film. I think he's just a bit to me, would be a bit more serious than say Harrison Ford was, who was probably a bit younger at the time. But fuck, imagine the change in Tom Selleck's fortunes. If he'd done that instead, he wouldn't be doing Three Men in a Baby with Steve Guttenberg.
Speaker 2: I mean, spawned a few sequels, but you would have done Quincy down Under possibly not.
Speaker 1: Imagine if Harrison Ford became Quichy down Under it.
Speaker 5: But getting Harrison Ford, you're already straight away tapping into the Star Wars geeks.
Speaker 8: So they're like, funk, We're on board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Harrison Ford is obviously just an absolute movie star. Is perfect at that, you know, playing that wounded protagonists. You know, Mel Gibson did it really well. Yes, at least weapon movies and this. You know, you want to see your protagonists in these kind of adventure movies get wounded and get hurt.
Speaker 1: Yep, And I think he does that, and he's just he does.
Speaker 2: He does comedy kind of effortlessly, as he does is with Han Solo. And you know, you think about the comedy in Star Wars, most of it comes from harm.
Speaker 1: Yes, Luke's not a funny guy.
Speaker 8: Darth has some wires cracks, but not that I.
Speaker 2: Think they cut a lot of them out. I'm as sure you've seen it. He was an empire. They cut all of this it's very dark empire. But yeah, I love that he's not I feel like there is a smugness between the other James, but it comes usually after the mission is it's kind of accomplished.
Speaker 8: See, I didn't find it unlikable.
Speaker 5: I never found him and this is you know, I was new to him and stuff, and so I hadn't seen any of the others, and I never thought I fucking don't like you at this point. He was always kind of there was something charming about it, and so whatever predicament he was in, You're like, he'll get out of this, you know, when he leaves Marion with the Nazis and goes, I can't if we try and leave now, we'll get killed.
Speaker 8: I'll come back for it. And you're like, trust him, Yeah, be right, right, be okay.
Speaker 1: I completely agree.
Speaker 2: Let's have a listen to actually them setting up the mission and this is it's quite incredible. And as a kid, this is not necessarily the scene that you would kind of relate to, but it's got all it's the setting up of the mission. So the opening scene, which by the way, it's just one of the great opening sequences of all time. The mysteriousness are going through the jungle and then going through and him you know, arriving at the.
Speaker 1: Terms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and what I love to At the start it said the title car come up, said South America nineteen thirty six.
Speaker 8: Just the vagueness of South America. We won't give you, we won't give you a country. Yeah, we won't put it anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, South, it's.
Speaker 2: Probably and probably now probably the right thing to do. Yeah. And he gets the sand in the famous sand thing, which has been this moment again or has been done and parodied so many times. And he's going through and he lets some sand out because he's way it up. So it's a pretty big gamble he's taking because he's got a nose that if he gets this wrong, something's going to happen.
Speaker 1: He's smart enough to know.
Speaker 8: That there's a booby trap waiting for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People don't just lead these golden idols, you know, lying lying in a tomb somewhere, so you know, and that famous you know, he's scratching of his chin and way and there. It just looks amazing and then it turns the shit really quickly. Alfa Molina double crosses him. It's everything's the arrows and it's the ball. And then he gets out and you think, okay, he's out. And then there's these guys with spears, and then the lot comes out and he takes what was his, and obviously he sets up his rival, and then he goes on a plane.
Speaker 1: You think, okay, he's out, and then there's a snake on the plane.
Speaker 8: And which spawned a spin off.
Speaker 2: Well exactly, this is the original snake on the plane. Yeah, And what's what's so beautiful about this? The sequence is just so much fun to watch, and it's you know, it's action packed, and in nineteen eighty one it was like, oh my god, this is incredible. But the beauty of a snake being on that plane, you might think, well, well, if he's afraid of snakes, why didn't they have the snakes in the Yeah, so it come First of all, it comes off as a joke, but this idea when the pilot says, you have a little bit of have a bit of backbone, will you? Yeah? And so you have a laugh. Harrison fort plays it really well. And but then the genius of it is that.
Speaker 1: They're going to use that later.
Speaker 2: We're telling yeah, yeah, they're going to use that when he's actually put into a pit full of snakes, and we know now that as scary as that tone was at the beginning of the movie, this is his worst nightmare. And I think whenever you can land a joke that the audience just thinks as a joke but they actually have it mean something is worth its wait in gold.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's smart screenwriting, isn't it.
Speaker 5: And the thing is, when you watch a lot more movies, you'll start and I still don't see it until it afterwards happens and you're like, of course they.
Speaker 1: Did that beforehand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And there's it's just that slight of magic sort of thing going Ah, you're looking at this and then boom.
Speaker 8: Something else happened. You're like, I knew it. Yeah, I should have been onto that, but you never are because it's really cleverly disguised.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this scene where we have as not all of it, because it goes for seven minutes. And this is like at the university after the class, the CIA cam and they they've got a proposition and a bit of a crisis, I guess, and they need Indiana Jones's help. And this wouldn't this guy's like I say, I think seven minutes. Yeah, this scene does not get made in twenty twenty two. They kind of chop it up over three or four different scenes, and they shorten it, and they they do all kinds of things not they have. It's a very talky scene and there's a lot of information there. Yeah, they do it really well to have They're very aware of who's driving a scene when there's what does you know, Indy know and what doesn't he know?
Speaker 1: Who's filling in the spaces.
Speaker 5: And as a first time viewer, I didn't find it particularly long. I actually thought it was handy what they was saying, and it did explain a lot, but not in a like and this is happening and then we need you for this. It was just kind of it actually seemed very natural. So I didn't feel like it was like, oh god, here we go. Yeah, when are they going to get to the action. It was kind of like, oh, yeah, we've had action at the start. We need a little bit of setup and I'm sure we're going to see something in a minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I found it kind of nice, and you know, he was drawing it all on the blackboard and saying what he needed to do, and it just did a lot of work for the directors that they didn't have to show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's have a listen.
Speaker 4: What exactly is a headpiece to the staff of rah.
Speaker 3: Well, the staff is just a stick.
Speaker 1: I don't know about this big.
Speaker 8: Nobody really knows for sure how high.
Speaker 9: It's an elaborate headpiece in shape of the sun with a crystal in the center. And what you did was you take the staff to a special room.
Speaker 10: In tab It's a map room with the miniature of the city all laid out on the floor.
Speaker 5: And if you put the staff in a certain place at a certain time of day, the sun shone through.
Speaker 8: Here and made a bean that came down on the floor here.
Speaker 1: And give you the exact location of the well of the Sauce where the ark of the Covenant, which.
Speaker 4: Kept right, which is exactly what the Nazis are looking for.
Speaker 8: Now, what does this arc look like?
Speaker 1: There was a picture of it right here.
Speaker 4: That's it, good God, Yes, that's just what the Hebrews thought. Now, what's not supposed to be coming out of there?
Speaker 8: Lightning, fire, power of God or something?
Speaker 7: To understand Hitler's interesting, Oh, yes, the Bible speaks of the art leveling mountains and laying waste to entire regions, an army which carries the arc before it is invincible.
Speaker 1: It's it's really grabbing.
Speaker 2: John Williams again, the music that comes in when you see the ark is is a is just brilliant.
Speaker 1: It kind of gives you, you know, chills.
Speaker 2: But what's amazing about this, and you mentioned earlier about with Hitler, what an amazing shortcut it is really to make Hitler the enemy.
Speaker 1: They basically say, if he gets it, yeah, and you know, for me.
Speaker 2: As an eight year old watching it, not understanding a lot of these who are these groups?
Speaker 1: Who these religious what's going on Hitler?
Speaker 2: You never exactly the Hitler is basically the worst guy in the world, the most evil guy in the world the history has ever known. And if he gets this, you know, we're fucked. That's like, that's the that's what this scene is saying.
Speaker 8: You're rocking up to grade three. Fucking hate this Hitler. Guyrats have lost art.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so's it's such a great great shortcut to use because they could have used they could have made somebody up.
Speaker 8: They could have said, you know, yeah, that's a really good point.
Speaker 2: Bergenstock, Burgerstock, yougers, what's he going to do? You gotta explain who Burgerstock is. He's going to make us always sandals, monster Monster, it is, it is. It is so good and then so uh and then we we kind of meet raven Wood. I think that is happening in this seat. Is Ravenwood is mentioned now? It's it's it's Abner. I think a Ravenwood.
Speaker 1: Who's this old professor. It's quite interesting.
Speaker 2: We don't really obviously in this film many times, and maybe I keep forgetting to look out for it. I don't think we really know what happened to him.
Speaker 8: No, he is mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so in the believe in the books he gets killed in Avalanche or the novelization. I've wrote his lost art, but it's not really mentioned here. I actually always thought that Indye, like the CIA, didn't know that they were actually talking about Mary and Marion Ravenwood played by Karen Allen. We'll get to her very soon. And Indy was just kind of keeping that information that letting them believe it was a man, but it's actually a woman.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And then when he said there was an incident, which I think he's I think he's still referring to the idea that they had a relationship, which we'll get to in a second.
Speaker 1: Because wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I believe that apparently according to the Cannon and the novelization, that Marion's father died in an avalanche.
Speaker 1: So there's that. So then we cut to this Nepal where we meet Marion Ravenwood in a in a shot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's my kind of heroine. Yeah, drinking shots and beating someone.
Speaker 2: Who, funnily enough, I always thought was a man until I watched it. I think the last time I watched a couple of years ago with one of my kids, and I thought, it's a woman she's beating.
Speaker 1: There was that, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Thought it was a guy too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so I'm not judging you beat whoever you want to drink it.
Speaker 1: Whoever's in front of your exactly. Yeah, whoever's in front of you. That's all you can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one shot at a time, exactly. And it's a great way to meet Marion Ravenwood.
Speaker 8: It's it's it sets up her character, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: She's living in it like a foreign land, she's by herself, she runs the bar, she's in control and she can out drink someone.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and everyone loves her for it, and she.
Speaker 2: Can handle her liquor, which actually does come again come back to play later on.
Speaker 8: I love a sexy alcoholic.
Speaker 2: If there are any sexy alcoholics out there, get in touch, Roses on all your apps.
Speaker 1: Then then Harrison India arrives. She conveniently.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've never seen a bar get closed down and swept out so quickly. Yes, everyone just really leaves.
Speaker 8: Yeah, not even a bouncer coming and going finish up your drinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the one guy go one more, a regular one more.
Speaker 2: Marion, Indie arrives and let's have a listen to marry in India Hendria Anatole.
Speaker 1: I always knew someday you'd come walking back through my door.
Speaker 3: I never doubted that something made it inevitable.
Speaker 2: So what are you doing here in Nepal?
Speaker 1: I need one of the pieces your father collected.
Speaker 3: I learned to hte you in the last ten years.
Speaker 1: I never meant to hurt you.
Speaker 8: I was a child, I was in love. It was wrong and you knew it. You knew what you were doing.
Speaker 1: No, I do this is my place, Get out, moved on animal. I did what I did. You don't have to be happy about it, but maybe we can help each other out now.
Speaker 2: So it's something I'd never really picked up on watching it all those years as a kid. I'm not surprised I didn't pick it up because the ages of these characters, like I'm going to going well, and even when I watched it maybe six years ago or maybe even a bit longer with my kids, I didn't really pay attention to it. But in the current climate, you do watch it, and I'm not here to cancel raids a lost arc, so I'm just going to I think it's just worth noting and moving on.
Speaker 8: But holy fuck, like, like, maybe she means I was a kid, I was very young.
Speaker 2: Well apparently apparently according to really yeah, it's like fifteen, you know, yeah, okay, And there's a nine year difference with the actors. That doesn't necessarily mean it's you know, the characters that separated. There was a press conference apparently where George Lucas and Steven Spielberg and George Lucas said something like that Indy may have slept with her when she was eleven, and Steven Spielberg went no, no, no, no no, no, no, no, no, no no no, fifteen sixteen.
Speaker 1: So my question is, why do we need this? Why do we all the backstory.
Speaker 2: You can give someone She can say you hurt me, yeah, yeah, leave it there. Yeah, even if she had a crush that it was it was unrequited. Yes, or this is maybe the issue when you cast men of a certain age and actresses of a much younger age, if you want to have a backstory, because I think there is a good reason why they do know each other, But.
Speaker 1: Is that you create these issues.
Speaker 2: For yourself if you're goin to if you follow through the logic, it's like, well, this is a bit creepy, indies.
Speaker 1: Mate, what's going on here? Yeah?
Speaker 8: What have you done?
Speaker 1: What have you done? What have you done?
Speaker 8: How can you get into all these countries past?
Speaker 1: What should be bad? Now?
Speaker 2: The reason I think it's important that they know each other and they do have a history, which I think could have been done in a different way, is that Marian, after the tote comes in, let's have a quick listen to Tot's entry because a very you know, he almost he's not wearing a Nazi flag, but he may as well be.
Speaker 1: He screams Nazi. Basically good evening for a line.
Speaker 3: The bars closed, We are not thirsty. What do you want the same thing your friend doctor Jones wanted.
Speaker 4: Surely he told you there would be other interested parties.
Speaker 3: Must have sleppt his mind.
Speaker 5: The man is the fairies. I hope for your sake he has not yet a quite it.
Speaker 2: Why are you willing to offer more?
Speaker 4: Almost certainly.
Speaker 1: Do you still have it? That's a very German entry.
Speaker 8: Well, he's set up as evil instantly.
Speaker 5: You know, he's kind of got the monocle on the black leather and you just go, oh, don't trust this guy. Know something about him and the music. They The one thing about the music is that it doesn't leave you. There's no ambiguity. You know, you're like, oh, this guy's evil or you know when the comes in. The one thing that annoys me about that, as much as it's good music, is you go, Indy's going to win this scene. So when he's trying to get out with all the snakes and stuff and he's falling through the wall with that thing, as soon as the music comes in, you're like, oh he's making it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, So it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Leave you with any other alternative and that's not a bad thing because it's a kid's movie.
Speaker 8: You're okay with it. But yeah, it just when you hear it, you're like, we're a bad guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I mean I think everything you know, like you said, I mean it's cartoonish.
Speaker 1: It's cartoonish. Yeah, he's got the old style Bond villain to be honest.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, if you had a cat and would have killed the cat.
Speaker 1: He would have killed the cat. But it's still be stroking it. Yeah, that's how evil this guy is.
Speaker 2: But the reason I think it's important to marry and India have a history is that she keeps them from stealing the pendant. He burns his hand on it, which is again sets up a lovely little image later on, but then she says, Okay, we're partners now, and there's just like it's a shortcut for them to, you know, make it a reasonable thing that Marian decides to put all her chips in with in the middle of the table and going with Indie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it gives him someone to save yeah as well, like you know, maybe he wouldn't have gone back as many times as he did to try and save her or try and look out for it more.
Speaker 8: Just the Covenant. I've covered that. It's safe.
Speaker 5: I don't have to worry about it anymore. But she's in danger, so I have to go and yeah, rescue her.
Speaker 1: He's got skin in the game now, yes, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was going to talk about that fight in the Nepalese bar, and again you sort of say it's a kid's movie, but sort of adulty as well. And you know that the shootings in that you only see the shadows kind of drop, you don't see the people coming, and you know they set fire to it stuff. I reckon that would be a great scene if it was directed by Tarantina because it's very similar to in Inglorious Bastards when they're down under in the bar and the guy has you know, holds up the three fingers and it gets it wrong and you just go in the hands of Tarantina.
Speaker 8: That would be a fantastic scene.
Speaker 5: And they should remake Indiana Jones with different directors directing different scenes.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is a lovely idea. I mean it is I mean, I mean, I think Spielberg does what he was going for that scene in Glorious Spars's with Michael Fassbender is one of my favorite.
Speaker 5: It's incredible, isn't it The tension that builds in that.
Speaker 2: Talking about going from you know, like when you think things are light and the tension of almost well chain with good failures and reservoir dogs. You know that that is right there again, there's that tension in that scene. I'm just going get out, get out, And that movie is very good with that. With Hahns' character is just like there's this tension when he goes and has the cake, the Moraine cake or whatever cake it is. It's incredible, It's incredible. That's a great tension filled movie.
Speaker 1: That one.
Speaker 5: And the other thing I did to think about when I was watching the movie is for a UNI professor, he really can fucking punch on Indiana like that, and he's very fit and he can climb out of stuff. And if I went to a UNI now and plucked out an archaeology professor anthropology professor, I'm doubting whether they could do a lot of what he does.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and also he takes he said to take off within a moment's notice, like, yeah, if you get enrolled in these class I'm watching how much of you. That's in the cheerleading series Cheer on Netflix, and we're watching the second series at the moment where Monica the head coach who everyone respects, and they go to this school university to be taught under her. She's got the guru one fourteen championships, it's a lot of champions's. You know, she's definitely you know, the king. And then the second series she goes off and does dancing with the Stars and everyone's like, well, where's Monica.
Speaker 1: I came from Monica. You know. It's the same thing, Vidanna.
Speaker 8: That's what people are thinking.
Speaker 2: So when you're watching Cheer the second season, you probably think of it's a lot of parallels.
Speaker 8: That's why I don't watch Cheer just because I feel like I've got the story.
Speaker 1: You've got the story already. It's a fun show. The great scene they're in the market and you like that.
Speaker 8: The gun, the gun fantastic fucking and you know, I know the backstory of.
Speaker 2: It, and the idea is he had it was supposed to be a sword a sword fight, maybe even use his whip, and he had a food poisoning going through the crew and Harrison Ford had it and he just could not get through today, be able to get through the scene, I guess with that squirt.
Speaker 5: In his pants, which would be you know, it would be natural to the time, realistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would like to see at least try one takee where he does shit his pants in that scene.
Speaker 8: But so go where he's Indian.
Speaker 5: He's just in the crap and a squat toilet, just not now due they could fucking have the ark if I'll find God, you know, I get out of here.
Speaker 1: So he ends up just shooting the guys.
Speaker 5: It's so it's so good, it's really fucking funny, and it just it's one of those things where you go, had they made the original, done the original scene, you it would have still been good. It would have been a great fight. But just to pull that out and he never unholdted the gun before that, and he just goes, oh, fuck this and shoots him and he just goes great, it's just fucking hilarious, just like disarms that guy and you just go saying done, let's move on, and.
Speaker 2: We're really because and when it came out, I mean that it's such a famous moment. Now you would know that moment, like you said, but at the time. Yeah, when somebody came out with the sword and stead of brandishing, we have a sort fun It's probably going to be another eight of them who were going to jump in a Yeah he's in a lot of trouble here.
Speaker 1: No he's not. He's just going to shoot him.
Speaker 8: Yeah you say that, you know you've seen it parody.
Speaker 5: That was one thing I was going to say earlier about this film was I hadn't seen it, but had seen so many parodies of it. So the Simpsons really went hard, and so there were as scenes popped up, You're like, oh, that's familiar to me.
Speaker 1: I know that.
Speaker 5: You know, Homer getting chased by Bar chasing Bart and the Bowlder comes down the stairs and you know, sliding out and all that sort of stuff, and the melting faces. Just there were things that I was like, I know where that's from. I haven't seen Raiders, but I'm pretty sure it's from that. It's just a very familiar film even though I hadn't seen it.
Speaker 1: Well, this is this podcast does this a lot.
Speaker 2: I've mentioned this quite a bit that I know that the shining Yes, it was was like, ah, yes, Tommy Desolo did that, and it's like, oh, yeah, all these things makes sense now, Mark only Donna with the Citizen Kane.
Speaker 1: He's like, Okay, now I understand references they do. By the way.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: Steven Spielberg, somebody I was watching an interview with him and somebody asked him, Yeah, out of all the things props from your movies, is there one that is you treasured the most? And he said, well, it's not my movie, but Steven Spielberg owns one of the rosebud sleds Citizen Kane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was. They brought three, or they had three ready to go.
Speaker 8: You need you need backups.
Speaker 2: You're going to burn them, you need backups. And Austin Wells was happy with the second one. They burned, had a third and Spielberg bought it, just had the office. I think now it's in the museum.
Speaker 5: Have you seen You've obviously watched Citizen Kane. We watched it in Filmilm Studies and I fell asleep in it. So basically I just woke up and he you know, they were burning this going on, but we're talking about Harrison Ford getting sick on the set and just looking at the hole where it was filmed, and it was shot in Chunizia, and obviously the first part.
Speaker 8: Was in Hawaii, but you just go.
Speaker 5: Steven Spielberg clearly liked shooting in really shitty places with dirt and dust and making it really hard on himself because Star Wars the first one, and you know, shooting in the desert must be a fucking nightmare.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And it was a really tough shoot. Like they said, it was hot. Everyone was so hot, so sick.
Speaker 8: Apparently the whole crew except for Spielberg got sick in coincidence.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Sure, take care of yourself, mate.
Speaker 5: But it was just like, as much as it's hard enough to shoot a film as it is to add that into the mix, you just go, fuck, such a big effort, like you know, from what we see on screen to what effort went into it is just incredible.
Speaker 2: And like I said, you KNOWLM cruise and equipment is way more portable these days. Yeah, back then you are, you know, shooting on film and it's it's tough. I mean the amount of times I imagine a bit of sand got in the gate and they had to reshoot a scene. Yeah, I imagine it happened like quite a bit. What do you think the monkey do you love the monkey?
Speaker 8: Look, I hated the monkey. He betrayed he betrayed them. But to get a monkey to do it a Nazi salute is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in cinema. And apparently this is how they did it.
Speaker 5: They held a grape above the monkey and he put his hand up to reach for it, and it took like fifty goes to get it.
Speaker 1: Imagine a monkey watching a back. Oh, hang on, I did not know. I did not know I was giving a Nazi salute.
Speaker 8: This was not in the contrary they said the grape was going to be shot.
Speaker 1: This is bullshit.
Speaker 8: Now I'm never going to get a job again.
Speaker 1: And he didn't. Yeah, I did not see that monkey work.
Speaker 5: I didn't was not upset when he died. I'm usually four animals, but I was an anti monkey.
Speaker 2: Good line to a bad day. I agree, happy to see the monkey go. And what do you think of block the enemy the nemesis of Indiana Jones. I really enjoyed him because he and more so watching it recently, I've enjoyed more and based on really this speech where maybe as a kid, you know I'll be lying if I said as a kid and you're watching radies a lost art.
Speaker 1: You're kind of watching for the action sequence.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely so when you gets to be talkie, you know you're not paying attention. Maybe you're not picking things up as well as you can, but more as an adult, when I've watched it, I've really kind of leant into this scene. This is broke and talking to India about how similar they actually are.
Speaker 6: I see your taste in friends romains consistent. How odd that you should then.
Speaker 8: This way for ourselves.
Speaker 6: So many stimulating encumbents almost regret it when shall I find a new adversary's so close to my own level?
Speaker 4: Trying as a local sewer.
Speaker 6: You and I are very much alike. Archaeology is our religion. Yeah, we have both fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am a shadowy reflection of you. Don't taking a nudge to make you like me, to push you out of the lake.
Speaker 4: You know you're getting nasked.
Speaker 1: You know it's true a nice So.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like the good and evil of the same person, Like Obi Wan and Darth Vader. Yeah, like he turned you know, they both are both the same person, and then one went to the dark side, the Nazis, and you know, Indiana Jones on the side of good, and so you kind of root for him. He wasn't even though he was evil, he still had that Nazi with him to out evil him.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but you could make the argument because Blocke had the plan to come, I guess, then betray these planers, then betrayed the Nazis, so he was in it for himself.
Speaker 1: As Indiana Jones is.
Speaker 2: Yes, like Indiana Jones, you can make the argue what like he's just after the thrill of the race. Really, like, even at the start, I'm not completely sure he's doing it to save the world. I think he's doing it because he loves the adrenaline of this. And if you actually really look at it, what Indiana Jones does is take takes cultural artifacts out of the places where they were put by the people who.
Speaker 1: Decide to put them there. Ye, that's true, that's pretty take them away and put in the museums. Not really a cool thing to do.
Speaker 8: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm happy to ignore that because I love Indiana Jones movies. Yeah, I think as an adult, I've kind of seen. Oh, but lo's not necessarily Yeah, and he does make that point in the movie. It makes him that scene. Yeah, they're actually like Block wants to be his mate.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, and even later on he kind of calls him out for it when he calls his bluff when he says, oh, you want to blow the Covenant up, go for me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's everyone step away, and they kind of do it.
Speaker 5: And then INDI's court out because he's like, fucking knows that I wanted as much as he does, and I can't blow it up because if you really wanted to protect the world, he would blow it up.
Speaker 1: Let's have a good point. Have a listen to that, say Jones, I'm.
Speaker 9: Gonna blow up the Acronye, your persistent surprises even me.
Speaker 8: You're gonna give mercenaries a bad name.
Speaker 3: Doctor Jones.
Speaker 8: Surely you don't think you can escape from this island.
Speaker 9: It depends on how reasonable we're all willing to be.
Speaker 5: All I want is the girl.
Speaker 1: If we refuse, then your fere has no prize.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, Jones.
Speaker 1: You will blow it up.
Speaker 6: So what set up?
Speaker 7: Set up?
Speaker 5: It's blowed up? Right back to God?
Speaker 6: Are you your life has been spent in pursuit of archaeological relics inside the treasures beyond your wildest aspirations.
Speaker 5: You want to see it open as well as I.
Speaker 6: Indiana, we are simply passing through history.
Speaker 1: This this is history. The more I watch it, the more I kind of I kind of I lean into block a little bit more.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think he's as evil as he's portrayed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I certainly think he's more interesting than I thought he was growing up. You know, like he's got more shades, and he is very similar and almost you know, almost identical to to Indiana Jones. They're different people. He's not going to go into the tombs. He's going to send other people into the dirty work. And that's why we love Indie because he's prepared to get his hands dirty. But I think it's incredible and it's funny. When I was watching it, you kind of go, of course, he's not going to send them zu could down there, because if he not only destroys the artifacts, it probably they all die. Yeah, without not being too light about it, but like it did remind me what's going on in the world at the moment. You got putinent with these holding the world at ransom in a way with nuclear weapons. Everyone's going, oh, we can't do anything because of yeah, we can't join the military, can't join the fight because he's got nuclear weapons. But it's like, I don't know, it's a gamble, but you kind of go, but surely it's not going to use nukelear weapons because he dies as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, you're going very well, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You don't think and I know it's it's an extraordinary moment of having to call somebody's bluff. Yes, yeah, but it did cut across my mind when I was watching that moment.
Speaker 8: So the other thing about.
Speaker 5: Ballock is also when Marion is in the camp and indies away and he just has a drinking game with her as well, and she takes the knife and he's not evil to her, like she's trapped. He's well essentially their prisoner, but he doesn't do anything bad with her, so you kind of go, he's bad, but he's just working for the Nazis. Yeah, that's just he's just a casual employer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well absolutely, And I think he likes Cindy and he genuinely likes Mariyan. Like countless times he tries to save us sometimes he sells her out, but everyone's doing that, like, and he sells Marian out when he comes and says, you need to stay here, I'll be back, I'll be back, and you kind of do believe that he will be back, which I think makes it god okay, But also it gives what I like about it as well. It gives Mary an agency to become her own, like she comes up with her own plan as opposed to just being waiting to be rescued. She formulates her own plan. I love that scene, the drinking scene. I think they're both Karen Allen and Paul Freeman have a really good in that scene. And by the way, I think one of the great visual gags in movie history when Tope comes in and we think he's got a nun shuck and it turns into a code hanger.
Speaker 8: It was like, it was fuck Like when I saw that, I was just like, what is this film?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it.
Speaker 2: Does film, but this is the most kind of almost two dark kind of gag, you know, like.
Speaker 5: A flying high gag in the middle of this sort of you know, adventure film. It was just I couldn't believe it happened.
Speaker 2: I would love to know the history of just that moment, like who came up with it? Did they discuss there's a fit in this you know?
Speaker 5: Apparently Spielberg had tried to use it in nineteen forty one. It didn't work, and so they redid it for Raiders of the Lost Ark. But still it just comes out of nowhere. The rest of the film is not like that. You just go, let's just do a side gag, and it fucking it was so bizarre and funny. It's just like, oh that is okay. This movie is just bonkers.
Speaker 2: And I think and it's if you look at it holistically, I do think they get the balance that balanced really well of going we're not tanging ourselves too seriously. Yeah, absolutely, you know, like there's a joke always, I think at the right moment, bit of a fast Yeah, even when in the Snake Pitt and Marion's jumping away over him.
Speaker 1: It's kind of climical how he's doing.
Speaker 5: That very light, Yes, a bit that made me laugh a light and it was kind of ridiculous. After they've got off the boat or they're on the boat and then the Germans have the arc and they're it's in the submarine and then you just say, go, we can't find any Indiana Jones.
Speaker 8: And then he just swims across to the U boat. It's like no one saw him.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not sure if he's every the English channel swim, but oh my god, that was an impressive yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then they showed the length of how far the U boat went to get to that island, and for whatever reason, it just chose not to submerge because he was just sitting on the top of it.
Speaker 8: No one noticed it.
Speaker 2: There are some perspective, but when he at the start, he's been chased by that tribe. They're right on his heels. Yeah, and then you cut to the fishing on the plane. Really he's really dug in. But that seeming Marian block is so good and we mentioned it before, but just to hammer at home, like the idea that we know early that she can handle her alcohol. So when she sets up this idea of like let's let's have a drink, we know that there's a plan there, and you know it's not a bad plan based on her set of skills.
Speaker 1: The plane, so.
Speaker 2: There's a lot happy We won't go through everything, but one of my other favorite scenes is the fight.
Speaker 1: In the airplane.
Speaker 8: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I mean it's talking about tension again.
Speaker 2: It's like fights can be tense just just having a fight, watching a fight on screen, but to put it there when again hummeling your protagonists, torturing them. But he's already had one fight and then he thinks he's done. And I love the body language that Harrison Ford gives when the big the big blonde, you know, like bodybuilding nazi comes over and he's like.
Speaker 8: This one's going to kick my ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And for a woman, yeah, and it's it's so good.
Speaker 5: And again with a child move you don't see it, but the guy gets you know, mowed down with the propeller and you're like, okay, that was that's pretty fucking full on.
Speaker 8: There's elements of Mad Max in this film.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Yeah. And I mean I.
Speaker 2: I don't see it as a child's film the same way that I think Star Wars more so is a child's film.
Speaker 10: I feel like this is just mid teens, yeah, well just young adults, young adult, but even I think almost for everyone this is it's kind of that kind of classic It's I think was taken out swearing and like, you know, nudity, and you know, they don't go too far into you know, maybe thankfully so the Marian and yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's what makes that backstory even weirder, like, don't think how light sometimes that the lovely light touches they make in this movie and then they have that is just you know, I think, counterintuitive a decision and the choice made that is from a bikeone error, I think.
Speaker 5: And then the scene where Indiana Jones is driving the big army truck and then they're all on the back and stuff. It reminded me so much of Rambo, right because in Rambo he's doing that when he finally escapes from the cave and he's going into the city to blow it up, and it's just so fucking similar. And you go one sort of comedy, one's really dark. Yeah, And just the difference in it was it was just really really similar in the way they were kind of shot.
Speaker 2: And then when they're having that fight in the truck, was was he fighting hoges? You remember that when they looked like but I thought, I think he's fighting hogs.
Speaker 1: Are a lot like us, Nagan a lot like us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would have thought the Nazis were going for the you know, the rookies, like a seventy five year old guy just popped into the front of the cab.
Speaker 2: Was maybe a lot of younger hoages. And then there's a point as well. I've never noticed it, and I did some reasons. Apparently has become a thing and people have noticed it before me.
Speaker 1: But I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: But it looks like Ballock eats a fly at one point. I think it might be the Bazooker scene actually, and he's talking yeah, and there's a fly that appears on his love on his lip, and it goes and then it just disappears. Apparently they have addressed this and said no, it is actually like there's there's a very fine edit in it.
Speaker 8: Okay, So I'm not.
Speaker 1: Sure if I believe them.
Speaker 5: I love I love it being natural. You're out in the desert, there's going to be fucking fly a fly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eat a fly. The catering wasn't that good. I ate a fly, sue me. So we get into the Well of Souls, and this is where we get into some some face melting. I have heard. There's a great podcast by the way called script.
Speaker 2: Notes, which is done by Craig Mason who wrote Snoble recently in massive career pivot because he had previously done the Hangover films and the scary movie films and.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, quite a pivot.
Speaker 2: And John August who writes a lot of films for Watch a lot of films with Tim Burton and wrote Go was his big first film, which is good indie film from nineties early two thousands. And they do it episode with Laura's Lawrence Kasin going through Raiders Lost, like I really recommend listening to it. But they brought up the point which I'd never thought of with this film, in that it's weird when you have a protagonist in the climax of a film not have as much agency as Indiana Jones does in this, like all they really do is tied up, and all he really does is close his eyes to survive. Usually you would look at how do we get them out of that so they can then save the world. All he really does is close his eyes. It's never bothered me at all, And I still don't know if it bothers me now that they kind of at the point of that. To me, Craig Mazin cannot acts that point by saying there's been so much action leading up to.
Speaker 1: This what do you what do you need?
Speaker 8: And also there is action in it. You know, the natters go down, they copy it.
Speaker 1: They cop it right in the face, they cop it everywhere they melt.
Speaker 5: The one thing I did think watching that last was it's a massive call to finish a nineteen eighty one film with that much CGI. Yeah, a completely new sort of medium, and they've just gone, we're fucking doing it. We don't know what this technology is going to look like, but we're going all in. So they did a really good job.
Speaker 1: I think they did a good job.
Speaker 2: I think they they I think the movie has dated really well like this, and its influence is everywhere to be seen. I mean I saw Uncharted recently with Tom Holland and Matt Wahlberg and it was really I quite enjoyed it. I'd never played the video game before, but it's you know, it's obviously inspired by Indiana Jones and their chemistry is great. It's a fun film. It's certainly no rate has lost up, but it's a fun enough film. But you're going to see you know, yeah, the Treasure, you know, the nick age movies whatever they are, you know, like they's so the influence of these movies is there, and I like that there's not a lot of CGI and special effects, but when they do, I think they do a pretty good job. Like Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford looks like he's on a plane with the propeller on it, you know, yes, and fighting very close to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, I thought they did a really good job.
Speaker 5: And considering it's forty one years old, it's incredible with me pretty much held up like you go, yeah, okay, it's not great, but it looks.
Speaker 8: It did the job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And there was a scene infac're talking about rating, there was a scene where Block's head explodes and they were told, if you're going to go with that and they just had his head explode and there's nothing in front of it, you will get a darker rating.
Speaker 1: You might be rated R or something.
Speaker 2: So to change they put fire like flames in front in front of it, so you still see his head exploding, there's flames in front of it. So it's kind of whether they added more you know, torture to the scene to get it across the line, but it does become less blatant in a way, and.
Speaker 5: The melting Nazi again, another iconic thing that they saw. And I read about that and they said that they had a gelatinous head that they melted in like slowly and then just sped that up.
Speaker 8: And it looks great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like as a kid like as Yeah, I'm saying, if I was a kid and I was watching that, I would have loved it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could make.
Speaker 2: Somebody melt using today's technology and you'd still see through it, you know, Yes, part of your brain knows that they haven't melted an actor. Yeah, so you'd be aware on some level that this trickery going on. Yeah, So I think, like I said, forty you know, forty one years later stands up really well.
Speaker 5: The one thing that I did think about the film, though, is had Indy not pursued it like he had and allowed the arc to get to Berlin, that would have killed Hitler earlier. So it is Indiana Jones's fault that World War two carried on as long.
Speaker 1: As it did. So I hate that guy. Yeah, I hate that guy. Now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm going to bring it down.
Speaker 2: I think I think the monkey got to him, Yeah, turned him, That's what happened. But I got some fun facts before we finish up. I love a fun fact. Spielberg loves putting little nods, even though Star Wars wasn't his, but he loves putting little nods to Star Wars. So in the hieroglyphics in one of the caves that you can see a hieroglyphic version.
Speaker 1: Of R two, D two and C three p O.
Speaker 9: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did a similar thing VT. There were like vurines, you know, placed in various spots. And I think there's a Yoda in the Halloween parade.
Speaker 8: See I saw ET and didn't see Raiders of lost Ark. I'm going to have a chat to my parents.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I meant well, funnily enough, Melissa Matheson, who I think was dating Harrison Ford during this time, maybe even married to Harrison Ford, visiting him on set, and while she was visiting, she would also meet up with Spielberg and they would just talk about ET. Spielberg is such a genius, Like it's almost like it's just so easy to kind of this go, Well's Spielberg and he's Spielberg, But sometimes you have to of appreciate the genius of the man, like he is making rais a Lost Ark and just planning this playing this other movie called et you know, in your downtime, and.
Speaker 5: The Nazis has given him an idea for saving private ryot all monkeys.
Speaker 8: No, hang on, we won't go with the monkeys realized.
Speaker 2: So Mussam Madison writes at and it becomes why that film becomes the Kangaroo Hide bull Whip sold in nineteen ninety nine for forty three thousand dollars. That's probably even pound maybe at Christie's at.
Speaker 8: Auction, So that seems low to me.
Speaker 1: Well, if it's pound, it's probably you know, take to one hundred k.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, it gets a good run though he does use it quite a bit. Yeah, it's very handy with it.
Speaker 1: Well, they probably want to back now because they're making they're making a fifth one, are they? Yeah? With Harrison Ford, with Harrison Ford, I'm not, I'm not.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's got to be a time.
Speaker 2: Well, because the fourth one they did was was you know, I remember thinking, geez, Harrison here, you know, Yeah, and he came back from the you know, the Wars films.
Speaker 1: But I think they use him pretty smartly.
Speaker 8: What about this fifth one? Is someone coming to collect him?
Speaker 2: It's all about age care and it's a real it's be sad they've had a tough time. The heavy lid of the arc because Ben Bert R T d To himself did the sound design and the sound of the lid of the arc is actually he recorded him lifting the lid of his toilet system.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, so yeah, I love hearing how they do it, how they sound safe stuff is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's incredible. And Ben Bert is like such a genius the sounds.
Speaker 2: The way he choreographed Star Wars and then the soundscape of Star Wars is incredible.
Speaker 5: Like you know when they have when you hear it see a horse on screen, you know that they've got a horse into the studio.
Speaker 8: It's just brilliant the way.
Speaker 1: They doevision movie magic.
Speaker 2: You've obviously been a movie world on the Gold Coast, Adam rosenbarks, but this podcast comes with homework.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you watched it.
Speaker 8: It was a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Did you enjoy it enough to come back again? Maybe next season for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, would happily watch that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 8: It was an enjoyable watch.
Speaker 5: It was one of those ones that I'm like disappointed that I didn't see it as a kid, because you know, rather than a comedian, I could be an archaeologist.
Speaker 1: Who know.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I would definitely watch Temple of Doom.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 8: It was an easy fun watch.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: And I think you're right as far as watching it, you know, as in your forties, as opposed to watching it when you're young.
Speaker 1: I mean, I see it now and it takes me back to almost when I watch it.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: What I like about is I do pick up new things, like I have a different perspective on Balloch and and some creepy details of Indian Americans past.
Speaker 1: But I still to see it.
Speaker 2: It's such a perfect and like as far as the screenplay goes, I think if you're trying to write a film, and that even if it's not an action film, but just seeing how all the choices, yes they make yep along the way for this film is incredible. The way they pummel that character, they torture Indiana Jones. And you see a film that doesn't quite work often this because they haven't tortured the character enough, and they do it so well in this one. Mate, Thanks so much, pleasure. Let's go get a drink next week on the show. I'm really looking forward to Alexi Toleopoulos say. He is a comedian podcaster. He does not like a film critic, so he is completely well versed. He's probably overqualified in fact, to be appearing on my podcast. He's got a podcast called Fighting Drago and Finding Desperado with he does with Cameron James, also one called Total Reboots. He's a massive film buff and we will be discussing a show that I have not seen myself, which is always exciting. We will be watching from nineteen seventy five one of the greatest cult classic hits ever, The Rocky Horror Picture Show. That's right, the Rocky Horror Picture Show, starring Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and others Meat Loaf. We'll be discussing it with Alexi Teleopolis. Looking forward to that till then, stay safe bye, and so we leave old Pete save fan sul and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.