Speaker 1: Are you Are you hearing like a high pitched squealed? That's not Tom's voice. There's a are you.
Speaker 2: Actually getting a high pitch?
Speaker 1: Well? There is? Do you are you not picking up on that?
Speaker 2: Shut up for one second?
Speaker 1: Are you hearing that bit of feed?
Speaker 2: But I'm not hearing that.
Speaker 1: Too too too? Yeah, that took care of it. How you up in mind? Though?
Speaker 2: Will you use any of that?
Speaker 1: Do you reckon?
Speaker 2: I actually think people like the Tech Problems at the top. Yeah, you know, Oh, it's actually so funny.
Speaker 1: The Tech Problem podcast, And it's just like, guys, got is that? Do you hear? Is there a ring? I'm not coming through?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's stopped recording. There's no waves.
Speaker 1: Hold on, there's construction outside plane plane. There's a plane overhead shot perfect, no way, welcome back that that you're on with for a geal the Child. The child returns sabbatical where he's been finding himself overse He's wearing a trench coat on the beaches of it was a fedora and nothing.
Speaker 2: Else, just a fedora and a chode the way it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: Open. You gotta think anyone who wears a fedora is rocketed.
Speaker 2: Chod oh yeah, yeah, yeah, there's a direct correlation between them.
Speaker 1: The Venn diagram between Fedora and Chod is a perfect sort. It's a perfect choad.
Speaker 2: Well, the Chad's here, Fedora. I left it at home though. That's a professional.
Speaker 1: Well you are back. We are back on Tennis f M with Fridgie and the our number one song in the charts this week following the DC Open the ballroom Blitz, take it away, Fridgie, that's me hold Or at the backs of everyone attack he's a runner up. The tailor Fritz.
Speaker 2: Morgan middle in the cornoset. I want to warn you about a guy named Taylor Fritz.
Speaker 1: Taylor Fritz, Fritz Fritz and we're back, We're back. Oh do you.
Speaker 2: Know what really helped? Then? Errol in the corner over there just.
Speaker 1: Was keeping in the corner. Boy, I want to warn about break of the song. Ballroomlts to take the Fritz he's wearing. And I really got to warn you. Thank you. The what a changing of the guard. This is because we had we had a man named the Fridge. We named him the fridg Fridge. Yeah, he was. He was here producing the last couple of weeks while Errol was away enjoying pinut coladas, and the.
Speaker 2: Ery does that quite a few times. He loves a cocktail. He's often like, we got to get a cocktail. Yeah, at all times.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Often you come in here early to record an early one at six seven a him. He's got an old fashion out. Oh yeah, he said, do you want to know grony He's like shaking.
Speaker 1: He's shaking it up. He's got the tumblr. He's an alcoholic, is what we're saying. It wasn't very early, Piper heide six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that piper hide tick you can drink anytime. I don't think it's like it's a breakfast it's a breakfast drink. And I think they market themselves though.
Speaker 1: It's so good to have you back, Samuel Taunt, and you are filling in for Lizzie, who while she has gone for six full weeks, six.
Speaker 2: Full weeks, she's going to pursue her dream of stand up comedy, which I don't love. I think she well, I mean, I'm happy to be here, but like, what are her priorities?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: A thank you for being here? You were away for a while as well, so it's me just settling into the new dynamic. The boys are back in town. Well, it's it back in town.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well it's a danger though, because you you you have the ability to kind of go full jock very quick.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: That's why I think Lizzie is a good pairing with you, because she can kind of take the edge off, whereas before I feel like like I feel like if I'm here in Errold's here very quickly. You know, you're we're talking about skateboarding. We're talking. You're like, oh, look at this clip I saw of like a guy cutting his leg off.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean? I feel like you would just go full Rogan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll go Rogan. Yeah, we'll be talking about UFOs.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get into the tennis. What is your best way of preparing elk meat?
Speaker 2: Just a bit of salt and pepper, Heat up the barbecue to about two forty, get it nice and hot. You've got to shoot the elk.
Speaker 1: It is great to have you back, Sam taunting. You're gonna be here through the US Open, and I am fascinated to get your hearts and minds picks for the US Men's and Women's.
Speaker 2: I think Sinner, you'd be just insane. To not pick him. I think it's a bit of a hard court king. Yes, my hard pick is obviously. I think I'll go Australians. Obviously Chris O'Connell. His game was suspended. He was losing, but they suspended his game last night.
Speaker 1: No, I'm going to say my burial O'Connell from Sliders. More of a chance I say that about Chris. That's crazy, that's not very nice to say. Yeah, yeah, he could do it. He absolutely could go on an all time run. Or I'm going to say the Demon. I think, I mean, he got bundled out again, but surely it's either.
Speaker 2: He has to do has to do something soon, or he's just going to drift off into you know nothing. I'm going to say, this is the time is now, and I feel like in Australian winning the US Open, I feel like that that sounds about right, So that's in my heart. I'm going to say Demon, all right, and women's I'm going to say we're back on her to win.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, Yeah, good, I like it. I think server, hardcore, yeah, hard court.
Speaker 2: And then my heart, I'm going to say the young Filipino queen.
Speaker 1: Oh, Alexandra Iala.
Speaker 2: I think she, you know, has kind of caught the attention of the world of tennis and if you don't like her, then what's going on in your own heart?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. And obviously a million Filipinos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want absolutely Well, I'm because Many Pakia when he was at the height of boxing, like he just had like he had a sitcom on TV in the Philippines. He was like he ran for president called the Many. I think it was maybe called the Man.
Speaker 1: That's how he became.
Speaker 2: I think the premise was he like lived with a family and they were like, are you Many Pakia? Yeah, but she could be like we don't know the heights of her actual fame in the Philippines, like how big she could be.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's already a superstar and then we'll get into the dc epen soon. But the support for her playing an American in an American five hundred tournament was so much louder. Why is that? Because the Filipinos they support, they turn out.
Speaker 2: But I also think like she's got something that even like the run of the mill American would get behind in a big way. Like what I mean, you know, some people just have it and it's a charismatic drawing force, and you just even just take a look at a picture of her and her smile and you go, oh, I'm going to support her.
Speaker 1: I think. Do you think if you like, say, move to America like Austria would turn up and droves to watch.
Speaker 2: I've thought about this, yeah, because I've done stand up overseas and I've thought Australians would come out, and they haven't. They don't. Once in I did a gig in Argentina, in Buenos Aidis and I'm just bombing so hard, and then there was an Australian guy in the front row. This is when I was on the project, and I was like said to the guar, I'm like, I'm famous in Australia. Tell everyone here. And he goes, I don't know who you are.
Speaker 1: Maybe he'd been living over there forever, maybe he.
Speaker 2: Was on holiday, he was visiting. He goes, I've never seen you before, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe he had seen like a previous you know, Peter Ellier or Tommy Little, you know, like you were you were the kind of the death rattle of the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Eryl, who also worked on the show, I think would agree. He would agree that I agree with that.
Speaker 2: Ey sang I came in and closed the doors.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, it was like the harbinger of doom when me and you were up for the same pick. So maybe this is just me being like, remember they brought me in as level.
Speaker 2: We both did a chemistry test together. Yeah, imagine if you got it. Oh, it would have ended way quicker totally, so much quicker carry.
Speaker 1: Three weeks on it.
Speaker 2: Let's how who your picks him for the US Open?
Speaker 1: Well I discussed this on last week's app with Lizzy who when I got her heart and minds? How did she go with You'll have to go back and listen. Yeah, what happened was but because we have e roll back in the studio, I would love to get your harolds and minds, Errol, I think.
Speaker 2: That was my heart is that your I was gonna say, that's your mind?
Speaker 1: Oh your mind pick is.
Speaker 2: Venus, Ah, Venus, that's a big you got to be cart and the Fellas.
Speaker 1: Center's mind. That's cool.
Speaker 2: I love that, I thought, maybe, like, I think there'll be a lot of hard for Carlitos. I think people want to see him come back and bounce back from this injury. Run that he's been on.
Speaker 1: We'll get into the Carldos news because many things to discuss on today's pod. I do have to say that we're We've had, you know, a lot of clips take off online. It's clear that we're a podcast. It's clear. I hope it's clear we're a podcast. Yeah, but this comment really stuck out to me. A man commented, it's actually Rod Labor, not pod Labor.
Speaker 2: Thank god, thank god, thank the point. I mean, no, I don't think he's missing the point. It wasn't that the first thing I said to you, you did. I said, there's been a mistake the spelling of your podcast.
Speaker 1: You guys have a crazy topo and all.
Speaker 2: And like there's a big media team here at the Australian Open and they all missed it. They all missed it. That it's yeah, it is crazy. It's an easy mistake to Thank god. This guy pointed out. Did it get any likes? It's a pretty funny comment.
Speaker 1: I think people liked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think people are like, yeah, it is Rod Labor.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, dude, we've been thinking about that all the time. Yeah, you know, for years at Rod Labor Arena. That guy pod lavor comes out, that old guy and he sits down.
Speaker 1: I've been calling him Pod. Is his name?
Speaker 2: His name's Rod as well well.
Speaker 1: He actually was known as pocket Pod before he was with Pocket Pod. Yeah, yeah, a right, let's get into the tennis news. The DC Open just wrapped up. A bit of a side note, it's the Mubi Dollar. DC opened the Mubi Dollar. I looked into. This is a investment company from the Middle East. Fantastic and the fantastic main sponsor after Mubadala is Emirates. How do you think Trump, who lives in DC, feels about Mubadala and Emirates being the main driv.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's my gut. I think he was into it. That's good in the nation's capital. That really doesn't make you think that America's for sale in any way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his foreign policy is clear. Click. What a tournament? Oh, what a tournament. So the DC Open just wrapped up this morning, this very morning because of the rain delays. Fritz took it out in straight sets against the aforementioned Raphile Ho r Hodar played great, obviously to get to the final. Took out some big names along the way and was cruising until he faced Fritz and his served two big servers.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's a more there's more joy for a player out there to win than Taylor Fritz. I feel like the general tennis public couldn't be happier for this guy.
Speaker 1: How do you mean like the tennis fan base would rather see Hodar.
Speaker 2: Than for I think they would rather see a dusty old can win a tournament.
Speaker 1: In Taylor Fritz.
Speaker 2: If you look on like Reddit comments or on Twitter, Yeah, I feel like he's just like he's a bit of a villain.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think he also.
Speaker 2: Kind of ignored me in the hallway at the Australian Open. He was walking past and I saw him and I said hey, and then he just kind of kept walking. Yes, he had just lost and he was going to do media, but you know, it cost nothing to be polite.
Speaker 1: You called him Tato.
Speaker 4: It was at this point in the pod that Errol gently reminded Sam that his Australian Open work contracts specifically prohibited him from speaking to players in the corridors, especially players who had just lost a match.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is true. There's no direct eye contact with players.
Speaker 2: I made eye contact with so many players after a loss as well. Well, I thought I had some opinion, I had some tips square Fedora.
Speaker 1: Next time. I think he's I know you like him, well, I mean I just like to see an American player, and he's the best of my player at the moment, Shelton, I would love to see when these tournaments doesn't have it. I disagree with you.
Speaker 2: There, Shelton, Tommy Paul, these guys, Yeah, they're in the demon category.
Speaker 1: Oh this is interesting. I think that.
Speaker 2: I think they're like, they're talented, but then there's just like an elite class, right, Fritz could be that Like Fritz have gone more game, I think maybe your mental game as well.
Speaker 1: He's been playing on an injured knee. Look, I think to win this tournament in straight sets over Hodar was huge. It took a bunch of match points and he got a footfall called on him in that last game to close out the match. I think he's our best hope for the US.
Speaker 2: Our best hope, our best hope.
Speaker 1: What do you you forget? Where my allegiances? Like? Get your passports now? Yeah plural? And you alway your first love is your first passport.
Speaker 2: That's not true. If you don't like it, leave.
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus Pauline Hanson on.
Speaker 2: Them, Like, I'm just saying, it's like, you know what what tennis to M, it's currently paying paying your wages.
Speaker 1: Well until Tommy Haska, of course, but I just want to see an American man win the US Open, and Fritz winning DC in the lead up M bodes very well. And I think him and Hodar have similar games that both bombing serves at each other. Both guys seem allergic to coming into the net awesome just baseline rallies as tennis guess and just whipping four hands cross court. And it was similar, like I said, styles and in straits not as compelling as you'd hope a final to be. But I like Fritz for the going deep in the US going.
Speaker 2: Is he your hont he's your heart Peak, Shelton's my heart Pert Yeah, okay, we love Shelton. Yeah, he seems like a great guy. But like also, second heart pick would be Taylor.
Speaker 1: Tommy Paul Well, now Taylor could he and then learn I could go through all the Americans before I get the Fritz. If I'm being on, Yeah, that's what I'm saying, But I think he did.
Speaker 2: You also look him in the eye.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no. I remember signing the contract saying we can't look them in the eye or disparage them in any way on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I don't think I did the training module now that I think, Well, look, I would be fascinated to see how big it would be for American tennis if an American man could somehow return to the summit, right, Like, how big would it be? Like I feel like there's been a you know, we talk about maybe there's a bit of a wilderness for the Australian men. I feel like America's in the same boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I really liked your observation of them being in the same kind of tier class as demon. I think that checks out. And the way for Fritz to win the US a lot of things have to happen. A super hot day for center. Yeah, he plays Zverev in the final. He has a winning record against. You need the weather to go lway. Carlos's wrist is in one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be hard for Carlos to win. Yeah, and it just lack of game time and Djokovic's is old, Djokovic old, Yeah, Yeah, Djokovic old and you can't. Yeah, he just went like it's been a long season already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's the path for Fritz. I don't think that all all those permutations really come together at the end, but yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Anyway, he's a single man now, so I feel like he's focused and maybe you're going to start seeing some better tennis.
Speaker 1: Some better results. Better results. We could have had two American winners on the men's and women's side had Pagoola not lost to alex Illa in the women's final in DC. Pagola was up a set and then it was two to one in the second set when the rains came through absolute monsoon and they had to cancel the rest of the day. H This worked out in Yola's favor. She then ran away with the match after returning to the court the next day. Swing.
Speaker 2: It is awesome how quickly it can happen. Yeah, it's crazy that a tournament of the side doesn't have an indoor court. But I guess like there aren't that many indoor courts. No indoor like that can hold the numbers you need for a final.
Speaker 1: Players complain about the conditions on indoor courts that the ball you know it bubbles or whatever. Yeah, and the lights, you know, they they find it annoying. I mean there's some guys that play great indoors. I mean Center obviously prefers it. But the third set was a bagel in Yola's favor. That was surprising to me. But bad night's bad, Night's sleep bad when it sounds, yeah, I guess so. But she also Pagola said in her interview after the match that the crowd support for Iola threw her off. Yeah, that's awesome. It's good to know it.
Speaker 2: Can't like it because you know, when you're at the tennis, so you're at any sport really and you're cheering away and you're like, am I just doing this for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Am I doing it? It's good to know it kind of. Yeah, it's quite a bit of an effect. Well, she's not inspiring the other person, but definitely throwing off someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, because I mean I watched this match and it was crazy when he Alla won a point, the roar from the crowd compared to Pagola winning a point. Who's in you know, her home country and not getting the support she's in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's in the you know, the hot the beating heart of the country. Yeah, sponsored by a Middle Eastern financial film. Yeah, this is what America is all about, of course. And then she's getting thousands of Filipinos. They're trying to bring her down. It's a lot going on for her to kind of grapple with.
Speaker 1: This is i Allah's first WTA title and what a one to win a five hundred event is a good first title. And en route to the title, she took out some big names, last year's winner Leila Fernandez, she beat her in straits, she beat svid Alina, who's informed this year and playing great, and to me, the biggest surprise beating Osaka pretty handily six four, six to two to proceed on to the final where she then took it out.
Speaker 2: So news like star is born moment. Do you think coming of age twenty one, she could go on a good run here, maybe be like a consistent top five player.
Speaker 1: Maybe. I mean, she looked amazing, like she's won me over. There was accusations of her being over hyped and that she's just being touted as the next big thing because she sells so many tickets and has so much support. But her tennis was blowing people off the court.
Speaker 2: If it would be it will be exciting for the Australian Open if she, you know, continues, maybe has a good showing at the US Open big back half of the year, like you know, the Asia Pacific area when she plays the Grand send down here to see the support or see what happens. You might get a lot of Filipinos coming over as well.
Speaker 1: Well. I don't know if you remember this year, but they put her on a court that was too small for her fan base at the AO.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just like spilling over and there's huge cues.
Speaker 2: Filipino tennis star Alexei Ala has sent Melbourne Park crowds into an absolute frenzy.
Speaker 4: She's the highest ranking Filipino in a history.
Speaker 1: I think she's playing on a pod labor.
Speaker 2: She's made it to pod labor.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would be surprised if they didn't put her on on pocket John Cain or yeah, pocket pods on arena. She has a name elsewhere. In the DC Open, alex Demonar had a kind of an interesting start because he played Cruz Hewitt. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a fun little nod to the future, and you know, it's just nice to have some Australian names that are headlines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and did you see Cruz Hewitt doing his dad's celebration.
Speaker 2: He's kept that going disgusting. Come on, be your own man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. They even asked him and he was like, I don't know. I just saw my dad do it growing.
Speaker 2: Up, And I mean, it would be weird if your dad was Leighton Hugh when Leyton first came on the scene. I feel like he was.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Cruz just seems like a much nicer young man than his dad Will.
Speaker 1: It's at the same age, right. Have you seen him in interviews or anything. He's Cruise. Yeah, he's clearly curios affected. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess Nick would be like the cool guy. Yeah, the cool older guy that you would see around the place.
Speaker 1: That would disobey his own father, you know.
Speaker 2: No, but I think his dad he's going to keep him on the straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, But like Kurios would you know, go against what Layton would tell him during Davis Cup or you know whatever. So he probably saw that as like, like that's a cool dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Curios didn't have to go to Christmas lunch at Layton Hewitt how him and Bet cart Right and like can I have the prawns? And he's like, well, you disobeyed me in the Davis Cup. So I think, Kruse, what Cruise's game style? Is it more similar to like did he have a stronger backcoll game?
Speaker 1: To be honest, I haven't seen enough of him to say, and that the Demon ar match was like at three am, and I just saw the result when I woke up and demonar rolled. And but at the net after he goes, We're going to be playing so much over the next That's what he said. Yeah, that's so cool. So Demon are beating Cruz Hewittt in the second round of DC but in the next round losing to Brandon Nakashima in straight sets. So Demon was the defending chance too. Yeah, and he was, you know, defending points because he had won the DC Open last year and then went out to Nakashima. Is this post wedding hangover? Was cruz Hewittt too easy of a match going into Nakashima? He wasn't ready for a season player. I don't know.
Speaker 2: He said he played well the Demon and which I never like to see when someone loses and they say they played well, yeah, I just think, like just cop it and just be like I suck, really get angry. You know, I can be better. I need to return it to the top. So I don't know, like maybe he's just I don't know. The craziest part about the Demon's year so far, it's like I feel like it's been another year of closeness, getting you know, into the positions and then kind of not following through.
Speaker 1: And he's what rank he's gone ou he's up to six now in the world.
Speaker 2: Yet to me, it feels like he maybe has taken a step backwards this year, right in terms of progression.
Speaker 1: Well, we saw that after his Wimbledon loss that he was disenfranchised and he was shook and he was like, eh, I don't know, I'm just not feeling it. So I mean, take a break, Damon enjoy married like.
Speaker 2: Said, wait quit is that what you're saying? Well, I just you just think he needs to have a little break.
Speaker 1: But if he's in the top ten, he's going to be playing in the ATP finals at the end of the year. The season the grind continues, you know what I mean. So like he's gotta you.
Speaker 2: Need maybe a little mental health kind of retreat or something. Head to Bali with some other Australians and.
Speaker 1: Either comeback with braids or a fedora.
Speaker 2: I mean braids that a fedora would be what.
Speaker 1: About braids under a fedora? And then when you.
Speaker 2: Daft the fantastic could you play in the fedora? And then you reveal in the postmatch interview.
Speaker 1: The corners although milady, Yeah, I mean cornrows from lady.
Speaker 2: I think it's it does only if he's playing he's playing mixed doubles and he does it to his phone every.
Speaker 1: Time sheets a good shot corn Rows Lady.
Speaker 3: It's really it's really blurring cultural Yeah, yeah, yeah, I would like it's kind of like a Bridgeton thing, you know what I mean, Like it's you could see it happening in an episode of that where you're like, what is the time?
Speaker 2: What is kind of all these points happening?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: A time traveler? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, showing up speaking of people out of time. Venus Williams, what a mean transition that?
Speaker 2: Well, look, I feel like it's getting to the point where we're going to be like, what is going on here?
Speaker 1: Thirteen losses in a row as of recording. She just went out in Toronto in the one thousand event in the first round. So last first round in DC, lost first round in Toronto.
Speaker 2: At this is there something like you're taking? Is she taking someone's place? That's a conversation.
Speaker 1: If she's getting a wild card into these then yeah, I mean there's a lot of people vying for a.
Speaker 2: While, That's what I mean. Like, you know, if she is not competing, and if you're losing thirty in a row, isn't there's an argument that she's not, then is she holding a spot up for someone else that could use it more?
Speaker 1: And she hasn't said this is a victory lap or this is a you know, final year for her. So at forty six years old, I guess still threatening to play all the events.
Speaker 2: Threatening to play That sounds very honesting threatening to play, like come on, venus.
Speaker 1: No, She's like, I'm going to do it. I'm going to do it if you don't, behaves.
Speaker 2: Look credit to her. She's forty six, she wants to do it. She could do it all. But losing that much just surely would not be fun either. That's the other thing. So, especially for a crazy competitor, so like, I don't know, it's all. It's a bit bizarre if you ask me.
Speaker 1: I don't think she's won a singles tour match since twenty twenty five, And it's yeah, does she call it a day or does she just love the competitive nature of the life and can't walk away?
Speaker 2: Well, it could be a bit like you know in Shure Shank Redemption when old man gets left let out of the prison but kind of freak doesn't know what to do, so he commits a crime so he can go back in Red Red.
Speaker 1: That's him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a similar thing with Venus. It's like she's at this point now where she's like, I don't know any other life, right, I feel the safetiness of the tour. Wow, the regularity of going week to week, tournament to a tournament. That's my routine. That's how I know who I am.
Speaker 1: Tennis is a prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we've got to break these guys out.
Speaker 1: Or the end of hurt Locker when he's you know yeah, yeah, yeah, he's left the war. He's back home and he's in the supermarket and he's like, I can't ye doing here, and then the final scene he sees back.
Speaker 2: She's got PTSD. She has to get back there post line.
Speaker 1: Tennis serena derangement.
Speaker 2: But she's not even like she's getting knocked out in the first round. So she's not even playing that much tennis.
Speaker 1: No, I mean she'd be training and practicing a ton, but then just getting bounced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if she likes training, you can still train for what is she trying to go now?
Speaker 1: To play these first round matches? Get an entrance fee travel the world.
Speaker 2: She doesn't need the money.
Speaker 1: No, but maybe she likes Toronto, and maybe she likes Cincinnati in a couple of weeks, and then she likes where she's gone, But she could just go to these places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of people that doesn't need that, they don't need the money.
Speaker 1: Bernard Tomic, Ah, Bernie, this is our ongoing segment. Gin and Tomic very high quality tennis for me Toomic played Karen cashing off in Mexico, Aaron one, he's made some money here. Actually, yeah, you got to couch it in Okay. He won a challenger event a couple of weeks ago and Lincoln, Nebraska, and then he went through I think the Karen Kashanov took him through to the quarter final him. Yeah, and then he gets absolutely trounced by Cameron Nori. But beating Karen Kashanov, a top ten player, amazing, huge result. I don't know was something going on with Karen Kashanov. I know that sounds like I'm doubting bird talking.
Speaker 2: About Bernie at his peak would take him down. Yeah, and Bernie's at his peak? Yeah, thirty three? How much is Bernie worth? Because there was that clip a few months.
Speaker 1: Ago only Evans Well, there was a clip of.
Speaker 2: Him like wanting to pull out of a game and he was saying to he goes, I'm going to get a private jet out of here, and I was like, how much money has he got in the bank?
Speaker 1: How much Derek and he had?
Speaker 2: So he's won six point seven million in prize money throughout his career. But apparently as it estimated net worth is it just according to AI a four million?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also private jet. Have you ever looked up what the Internet thinks your net worth is? Oh, I'd loved it. Mike goldtein Network, I'll do Samton and then you can guess it's like network.
Speaker 2: His net worth is not publicly documented financial figures are available for the American Experience stand up. There was in pament nothing.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's pretty accurate.
Speaker 2: It says you have nothing. Yeah, there's another guy called Mike Goldstein that has a lot fourteen point five million.
Speaker 1: He's a trader though. Yeah, that's some of me. Sam Tott height, weight, networth, age, birthday Wikipedia. What to say about weight? It says a little tubby post thirty years old. It is a bit chody, A bit chody for my liking. Well, they're really editorialized if I like it.
Speaker 2: My point is, what is Bernie doing out there as well?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Like, I get that he's out there playing, but but he's.
Speaker 1: Been grinding away in the lesser tournaments of the Challengers.
Speaker 2: I know he loves it, That's what I mean. He just loves being out there. Yeah, but for these guys that would need the top I don't know what did he get to, maybe ranked fifteenth in the world or something.
Speaker 1: But I don't think he's getting wild cards.
Speaker 2: Is he's just grinding for the love of the game at it. The money is like it's not much. He wouldn't be covering costs, I don't think.
Speaker 1: But he deserves to be if he's getting through qualifying rounds and then winning through it a quarterfinals.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, but why still is my point?
Speaker 1: Because these guys are competitive freaks and it's all they know. And if they're not out there playing, they're you know, making OnlyFans clips that are far too pricey for my like for you a linking anyway, And yeah, he got trounced by Cameron Norri in the next round in Mexico, Bernie, but I would like to see Bernie in the US Open, just to you know, continue our fan favorite segment gin and tomic.
Speaker 2: He's not going to play in the US Yeah, how do you know that? Well, well, he would have to. He's not going to qualify. What he ranked in the world one hundred and seventy first or something.
Speaker 1: How do you know he's not going to qualify?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, maybe he's gonna.
Speaker 1: Do you think Chris O'Connell is going to win it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: The herd and once with the Heart once don't yuck my yum again?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I hate that saying so much.
Speaker 2: No yuck my yum. How much talent did he.
Speaker 1: Have a lot? Do you remember those aos where he was touted as the next big thing and making the second week, and then he just flamed out. He like had that car issue. I don't know, Yeah, he had that car thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, he was also not very well liked the jungle, did.
Speaker 1: He I'm just not cooking. Well, huh, I'm a celebrity. Get me out of here. I need to get out of here. Carlos Acharass is training again. I'm excited, are you, Samuel Tamta.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, Like I think he's everyone's favorite tennis player. It's excited. Didn't have him back out there, and.
Speaker 1: How do you see him going?
Speaker 2: Oh, I think it's he's going to be a bit soft on return, and I think he needs Look the mental state I'm worried about as well.
Speaker 1: If you have a look at that hair, well you've got We have discussed corn rows a lot on this episode. And what do you think of Alcoraz's.
Speaker 2: I think he look he looked good, but yeah, look at that he does look good. But as every girlfriend I've ever dated has told me, if someone changes their hair dramatically, it means they're in crisis. Right, Yeah, So how else could you read into that?
Speaker 1: Before last year's US Open, he shaved his head completely, came out totally bald. Yeah, but that's then one in the US Open.
Speaker 2: That's not Cornrows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're rastic.
Speaker 2: Shaving your head is like a cry for help. It's like hot in New York in August. It's like, I don't want the extra hair, yeah, you know, I just because I'm going to sweat a lot. How do you explain this? This is a lot of This is a stylistic change up.
Speaker 1: I think he saw his friend Flavio Kabali do it a couple of weeks ago and he was like that, that's cool. Arthur fees look amazing with the corn Rows. So it's a lot of effort, It's all I'm saying. Yeah, but at least he doesn't have the little beads in the back yet yet. So this is, you think, more like an auntie getting back from Bali.
Speaker 2: It just looks like I'm you know, you know, nine club in Columbia and this guy is trying to sell me something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think can we sho?
Speaker 2: You didn't even think you go yep, You're like yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, can we The most amazing thing anyone's ever done in corn Rows is friend of the show, Aaron Cox. Yeah, this is I mean, this is a man in corn rows eating corn while listening to corn. Yeah, can that ever be topped?
Speaker 2: I guess if Carlos wins the US Open with corn rows, that tops this, Well, you'd have to eat then corn. You'd have to then replicate golf afterwards he's like, can you put corn on?
Speaker 1: And then he'll do it. This is not bad if he's still rocking the corn rows when he comes in for the AO next year and we correplicate that, and that's a great idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think athletes back to back to back to him. I think, look, I would love to see him come back, but I think he's just going to be a bit underdone and rest. Yeah, and I just think we will have to wait and see. Yeah, you'd love to see him make a run, but maybe he's a semi final situation.
Speaker 1: Just want to see a viable opponent for Yannick Center. And I think outside of the heat, it's Carlos so well.
Speaker 2: I feel almost like the tournament hinges on those two getting to the final to face each other. Now, I think that's what people want, which kind of is like not I mean, it's not great for the men's ru all, but like, let's hope he's recovered, or let's hope we get some good young names coming through that are going to elevate the sport.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is Cruz Hewitt, Christian O'Connell.
Speaker 2: Christian Chris O'Connell. Christian O'Connell hosts the radio shop on GOLM. If he went the US Open, I will be very surprised.
Speaker 1: As we speak, the Montreal one thousand for the men and the Toronto one thousand for the women is on.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is the National Bank Open presented by Rogers. I do know these corporate names for tournaments, not rules. Just call it the Toronto Open or the Canada Open. But people are.
Speaker 2: Paying for the money, and you know, tennis and golf it's pretty much all propped up by the financial services industries. I know this is where the clientele is.
Speaker 1: You think you are lose. This is a bit of its soul when.
Speaker 2: It's yes, what do you tell me when you go watch the football at Marvel Stadium, You're not like your God.
Speaker 1: But I'm excited because I expect Iron Man and the Hulk to be there. Yeah, no, that's true.
Speaker 2: Yea, well, there is I did stand up once in the Peter Parker room.
Speaker 1: There is that a thing.
Speaker 2: That's all the rooms are like named after kind of.
Speaker 1: Character, right, Yes, so you don't even get the Spider Man room. They gave you the boring Ah there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they got pre and that's kind of what my gig was. It felt like a man before he was a comedian because it wasn't very many low.
Speaker 1: So we'll just check in on the scores. This is day one of the Canadian Open. Let's see, there's a few matches going on as we speak. Diallo beat Jack Kay. This is the Vukic is playing Altmeyer at the moment. Marin Chilich won his first round match, as did James Duckworth over Chris O'Connell one.
Speaker 2: Because when I came into the podcast the game was suspended.
Speaker 1: Duckworth absolutely stomped your boy Chris O'Connell sixty three, six to one.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, was he was, he was up, he wasn't off a break. But I was always like this, rain's gonna help him ott.
Speaker 1: Nope, did not help him at all. Matteo Barattini is out in the first round, losing to Navone. Uh and then yeah this of course none of the big three Djokovic, Alcarez or Center is playing in the Canadian Open. They're resting up before Cincinnati. And the women's draw. Bianca Andrescu went out in the first round. Talia Gibson gets a walk over. That's actually huge because she was playing Coccaretto, who was in good form. Uh kayla day the American goes through in three sets, and please give a through in three Katie Bolter out to a Canadian k Cross And yeah, so we'll keep across that for the next couple of weeks, and well it'll be wrapped up. No, this one goes through twelve days, so this will be in the thick of the quarterfinals. One thing I want to talk about is the crazy US Open mixed doubles pairings. I've seen this wild yea, what is there a reason every tournament doesn't do these?
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I was thinking is like they should make it like compulsory to play mixed doubles. Yeah, like they pay you with someone and it's just like good for the Yeah, everyone, like it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Like some of these names, this is more interesting than the singles.
Speaker 2: Like Novak and sabas pery are but it's like I've never they ever been in the same room.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, and it's so it's gonna be so good to watch. Say, Novak and Sabilanka are up against you know, Fritz and Rebecca and yeah, yeah, there's the all Russian pairing Andreva and rube Lev, Nishikori and Osaka is just huge contain yeah, Iola and Canadian favorite Felix r j l seem And then today there is more announce because everyone's getting in on the action.
Speaker 2: But it's like fun. It seems like pure fun, and maybe it's a good distraction from like the psycho little world you're in when you play singles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it makes doubles interesting.
Speaker 2: And like you know when when the Grand Slams are on and they fly in all the legends and they playing these fun games and it's like so much fun to It's like we could just be doing that every time there's a tournament on. Yeah, it's like so fun.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be wild to watch. A couple of the new ones announced today. Bublick is playing with Venus williams oh Finevara and then you got the married couples Alex demon are playing with Katie Demon are now no longer Bolter.
Speaker 2: Makes business with pleasure if he's.
Speaker 1: Gael Monfis and Lina's for the Yeah, so that's exciting. You wouldn't play doubles with your life partner.
Speaker 2: She wouldn't want to play with me. We've tried to play, she yells at me. She has to go on the opposing team.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah yeah, And she's like, that's what she says to me. Are you okay?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just when we when we play, when we play, it's it's bad times. Yeah, yeah, because she won't ever go up to the net. She's scared of the net. Volley games not good. She's good from the back court.
Speaker 1: Play doubles. It's like half of the time.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: That's what I say to him.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm the problem, Maybe it's me I'm the problem. But look, I think this is exciting. And look it's also like not to be like a cynical person, but like you know, Novak and SAB's playing together. It's like this is this, this is you know, exposure, this is like promotion, this is everything. It's like there's no reason why these top players shouldn't be playing together. If you get a final with like some of the big names together, it's like, how good is that?
Speaker 1: I know it's and now it's the tickets are going to go through the roof to see some of these pairings, right, But I also think that none of these players are double specialists. I mean, on paper absolutely roll yeah, probably it's by two like no name, you know, mixed doubles, people who are just know how to play double. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I'll be I'd be. It would be awesome to see Nisha, Corey and Osaka in the final against you know, say, demon Ar and Demonar. But I just don't see it happening, and it just seems like a bit of a like a promo move.
Speaker 2: I think so, but I still don't care. I think it's still fun to watch. I think you're gonna see a lot of smiling and until one of them rolls an ankle and gets knocked out of the singles draw. Hopefully we see a bit of this, yeah, and then one person's gonna get injured and it will never happen again.
Speaker 1: But this is now a popularity contest where it's like Novac's like, I'll take Sabalanca and you know, and then he all is like, I'll take Felix. And then there's surely someone who's like, why isn't anyone asked me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's last picked, it's school sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there no Fritz? No, Fritz is playing with Rebeccaa. Yeah, Fritz and Rebeccaa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is like, that's sick. That's a great pair.
Speaker 1: Those two of the biggest servers. Also, like two couldn't be more different beyond two of the quietest people.
Speaker 2: They hate both hate eye contact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, for a different reason. They're both very hard to interview, if you compare with anyone in the world. To play mixed doubles with.
Speaker 2: My girlfriend, what a backtrack in case she's listening. We're also going away to a house in like a month for the weekend with a tennis court with other couples, and the point is to play. We'll be playing a lot of tennis, right, and I don't know, I feel like there'll be like teams getting rotated around, So I do have to pick her first, I guess, all right, even though she probably wouldn't pick me. Yeah, yeah, who would you take?
Speaker 1: I maybe Rebecca?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could, I can volly. Okay, my back cord, My sir really lets me down right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would also take your girlfriend. I'm a let's move on.
Speaker 2: Okay, my kid's time for everyone's favorite segment, approaching the net. You like my hat?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think you got it? Side on?
Speaker 2: Do I have it on? It's hard when you've got another hat and head. There go, Okay, let's kick it off.
Speaker 1: It just looks like a massive head. Now it does look like I have a massive head?
Speaker 2: Is that my one shot?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: This is good, isn't it? He's zooming in, No, don't zoom in the boob bub. He he's announced he's skipping the Cincinnati Masters for the fourth consecutive year. You're not going to believe the reason.
Speaker 1: What's the reason?
Speaker 2: It's his son's birthday that is beautiful, and so he's not going to play.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean I reckon. His son might love his dad to win a big tennis tournament for his birthday. That'd be a good present, wouldn't it. And the spring his son along. His son's also really young, for I'm not going to know, Like kids don't know where they are till they're like fifteen that's.
Speaker 1: The thing, like, if you've been invited to a kid's birthday party, what's going on the way, why are we doing this?
Speaker 2: You could do that in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: He's not making memories.
Speaker 2: You don't have strong friendships yet, no, So it's like who cares if the log Jordan didn't Caser just get anyone in the little no loser friends. I just think it's like yes, because the internet is pretty much conclusively this guy is beautiful.
Speaker 1: What a guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm a bit like get out there and play well. One said it was supposed to be fun.
Speaker 1: How many parents use their kids as the ultimate excuse to get out of things right, totally, So that's him just going, oh, yeah, I can't play because I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to play my kid. You know, if my kid needs me, he doesn't. You're rich, your kid's got everything. Just tell your kid it's his birthday on a different day, yeah.
Speaker 1: Or just like yeah, celebrate the birthday later in the year and then don't even have a party and just like photo shop him into like a cool party.
Speaker 2: Sang and he said, look at this, Look where you were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember when you were four and we went on Safari.
Speaker 2: And then when he's thirty eight going through the house and he finds some He's like, oh, that's a year dad, one of the Cincinnati Masters, and that was my birthday.
Speaker 1: Hang on, hang on, Oh yeah, could I've been in two places at once? The boob being a family man though it's nice, I think call it it's beautiful. When I saw a post today the Lizzy who's away at the Edinburgh friend and I saw another comedian post that the hardest part of doing the Edinburgh Friende is going to be being away from my family for five weeks, and I really wanted to comment, you don't have to do the Edinburgh Ye.
Speaker 2: No one is begging you to do the Edinburgh Fringe. Skipping the Cincinnati Masters is a way bigger deal. No one's making money at the Edinburgh Fringe.
Speaker 1: He just wants to go drink for five weeks without his family.
Speaker 2: Okay, moving on Taylor Fritz. We've spoken about him a lot. I feel like it's a Fritz heavy app He has come out and he's done something that I think it's quite I think it's quite bold and brave and he didn't like have to do this, and I think in the age of people taking stances on things. This is a pretty good one. He's come out and admitted that his celebrity crush is Sydney Sweeney.
Speaker 1: Was everybody's celebrity crush. We Sidney really really? I mean I like that, do you I think that's it's a brave I do.
Speaker 2: Just think no one else is talking about her in that way, So I think that's really nice.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I think people are like, you know, there's the normal people say when they're like, who is like an attractive person?
Speaker 1: And no one ever brings Sydney Sweeny. No, I've never heard her name, yes spoken in those words. People usually just talk about how talented she That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a great actor, and I really admire what she's doing is she's running businesses Meryl Street, running that longingerie brand.
Speaker 1: And weird she runs a line. It's very bizarre, very bizarre, but you know whatever, running.
Speaker 2: A brand, Yeah, just a male lingerie brand.
Speaker 1: Yes. Anyway, he's like the secrets ell.
Speaker 2: Iw Yeah, when Victoria's got secrets, Mike's got secrets. He needs to be put in prison. Someone needs to interrogate him. Anyway, he was on this.
Speaker 1: I don't now I don't like it.
Speaker 2: He was on this golf channel and someone said Sydney Sweeney and he said something like, oh now that's got me all teed up. We were talking about Sydney sm and I think he was trying to use the golf thing, but I mean, like, yuck.
Speaker 1: I didn't like that either. Well teed up the.
Speaker 2: Worst name for an direction I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have to hear about his drive and his sex drove. Come on golf Pune times. I loved it. No, I love, give us, give us what come off? You're all teed up?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, put it in my hole.
Speaker 1: All right, that's not going to get to speak. It was a bit rough. I got another wait, I didn't even notice. Yeah, sorry, that was really good. Okay.
Speaker 2: And finally, k I'm trying to think he's got a better life than me. No, you don't think so.
Speaker 1: With supermodels? Yeah, okay, good, because look at you. You did a gig and benderg that's what I did. Look at this.
Speaker 2: He's getting into his car and it does look a little bit better than my Volkswag and polo.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's a Ferrari.
Speaker 1: That's like a five hundred thousand dollar car.
Speaker 2: Look at him, just drive off.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's interesting that he's chosen black there because black cars and the heat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's going to roast away much like himself. Yeah, it must be hard for him having to worry about the temperature at all times. Yeah, but that would have good air con in there, wouldn't it.
Speaker 1: Sure so? Yeah, so it's just the Ane Center getting in a sports car. Yeah, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Sure, well you wanted more than that.
Speaker 2: It's nice to see how people live their life because everything, like, he's so humble, he's down to earth. He's in Monaco getting into a Ferrari that's worth more than But isn't it entire building?
Speaker 1: He was worthy if he got into like a Hyundai, you know, Kona two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 1: Maybe Look, it's not my finest segment. That was. We need to taunt specific segments, Grand Sam.
Speaker 2: Well that could be it, actually, Grand Sam, that's really good, well done, well done, very well done.
Speaker 1: Grand Sad. Stay tuned for next week's grandsond grandsandam Fedora.
Speaker 2: I'm clapping myself, No one else is flapping.
Speaker 1: What an app just quickly Quizzy who, we had a Rash back again. He won the merch pack because he did an impression of Bernie Tomic and he did technically get it right that the last challenger Bernie won was a link in event. There's a long email from a Rash, but we're not going to read it out because it is too long.
Speaker 2: So long, I'm just really it's a lot of quite dense, isn't it.
Speaker 1: That's quite tense. But an a Rash does say he's on two weeks vacation, so he'll be unable to answer the Quizzy who question. Oh, let's tell you it's yeah, work hours only. But if anyone else wants to answer a quiz question, what is the fastest serve ever recorded? What is the fastest men's ten? Great question? Who hit it? When? What was the speed? Give us all that right into pod Labor at Tennis dot com dot au. You know it's Rod.
Speaker 2: You know it's road labor. What it's road labor like, it's not pod labor, but he's pocket Pod. It's rocket road Like. I just think there's been a whole misunderstanding game Pocket Rod, Yeah, pocket Rod, Yeah, it's pocket Rod.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Sydney's Winnie, I've got a pocket rod and that is Mikey's Secret. Can we do it? That segment?
Speaker 2: Mikey's Secret everyone, and you have to say one.
Speaker 1: But it's not like rude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like you're scared of bees or something.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you want Mikey's secret. Yeah, Mikey's Secret. We had a giant uh meenam falcon, like the toy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: You take the panel off and as a child I would hide my dirty, skin marked underwear in the Millennium Falcon. This is like the movie with Zindea.
Speaker 2: Now I'm like, I can't look at you.
Speaker 1: You're a freak. It's disgusting. Did you really do that? That's bad? That is bad. That's so bad. And then I like ran out of underwear and there was just an overstuffed Millennium.
Speaker 2: Falcon, amazing spacecraft.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us with our erstwhile host Sam Totten being back. Good to have you back in the chair.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a good edit.
Speaker 1: Fair old. Oh my god, we're an hour and a half almost absolute. Next week we'll discuss the Canadian Open wherever it's at at that point, I believe the quarterfinals or.
Speaker 2: Deep into the tournament by then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these to day events. I think that's why a lot of players drop out. It's cause taxing. That's taxing, very taxing. But the tournament wants those ticket sales, and they.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's I mean, this is what it's all about. The financial services are pushing. They're trying to bring the money into the sport. They want a better return on their on their dollar. And you're seeing players are having burnout. You saw it with Naomi. You're seeing who knows what's going on with Carlos mentally and physically, And I just hope tennis corrective.
Speaker 1: Yep, Yeah, what a way to end there.
Speaker 2: He is, You're looking good, Carlos.
Speaker 1: Carlos, Yeah, kind of let himself go. We'll talk to you guys next week.
Speaker 2: Another hat, my lady, But I wish it was corners.