Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 2: I am so so glad me to extended episode because I've aways got more to say, so much pity, appy yappity, a.
Speaker 1: Breadth of conversation that is mostly untapped in everyday life. I'd say, flex, so, what a pleasure it is to share the microphones with you? Two share our seed, a collective seed. Stop it. Stop looking at me.
Speaker 2: I was frowning that time. You like, not that good?
Speaker 1: Do it frown again?
Speaker 2: I bo. People always think they have botox, and I'm like, because when I frown, it's just very like it's all in the front of my eyebrows. But didn't have frontlines to save me. I try going up, not.
Speaker 1: There one hundred percent you've had botox?
Speaker 2: Why would I have? People thought I had my brows laminader so I got them laminated and I was like, okay, see what you mean, Well you really got them, but no frown lines. People still can guess my age correctly. What is that about? So general?
Speaker 1: Laura?
Speaker 2: It is what it is?
Speaker 1: What are we talking about today?
Speaker 2: Death? Would you rather know when or how you die? We did do a bit of a how do you say pole around the studio and the majority said when so we didn't have an overwhelming yes or no. We're split right down the middle.
Speaker 1: It's an awful question. Flex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you apply any kind of like morality to it, if you make it real, yeah, if you make it real, if you make it just a vibe a thought, it's actually quite fun. I think it says a lot about a person and not much at all, which the best conversation topics do that. Yeah, anyway, we're gonna have the best time as always. Let's go flex and firs now flex.
Speaker 1: See. I have been reading a book called Something Blue. It's by Alex Sarkis.
Speaker 2: Oh you mentioned that the other day.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, she is a baddie from the area, I would say, and I've somehow found a way to make that sounds so.
Speaker 2: Yeahs are you reading from a script? She told you to say that trying to be cool?
Speaker 1: And in it she talks about how I don't know if she was saying this or if her character was like joking, but she's like, yeah, how Americans think that in Australia we all ride kangaroos. Yes, and we see this all the time, people being like, yeah, ask Americans if they think we ride around on kangaroos or that's what that's what Americans think. It's been Simpsons episodes, et cetera. But I want to ask an American, have you ever in your life thought that we ride kangaroos? Of course you haven't. It's so ridiculous, Like, don't you find it funny that we perpetuate this stereotype that doesn't actually serve anyone, like it doesn't. It's not helpful for us to think that we ride around on karugar.
Speaker 2: Do you think Australian started that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we started, but we definitely perpetuated despite all being city folk. It's always the city folk that have come here saying, yeah, Americans think we write on kangaroos. Americans don't think that you're projecting. You're projecting what you think.
Speaker 2: Oh that's what you think is happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I find really interesting and it makes me think, I'm sure there's other things that we do perpetuating things about ourselves that don't actually ring true, and it's just like a lazy thing to do. Give an example perpetuating I'm a perfectionist.
Speaker 2: You think you perpetuate that.
Speaker 1: No, that's a bad example.
Speaker 2: I just checking I wasn't shutting it down.
Speaker 1: I was just checking sing no, maybe, okay, good one to be the Karen, always perpetuating the fact I'm a Karen? Am I actually know? I just like the sound of it, similar to the kangaroos.
Speaker 2: And processing in quite quietly, silently. But I got that, you know what I mean? Yeah, I'm trying to think of some examples. What is the benefit of you saying you're a Karen if you don't think you actually are? Well?
Speaker 1: I think people just do it for something to talk about it. It's like when you say, how are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good. I feel like certain things we perpetuate about ourselves because it's actually easier to just not actually explain the other way around.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, do you know what I mean? Do you have any other examples for you, you.
Speaker 1: Know, oh, being like people think, oh, you're quirky. So I could turn around and say, I'm not quirky. Actually hate that term, but I just go here and just perpetuate it by doing other things that could be considered quirky.
Speaker 2: But you are quirky. You just don't like the term, I don't think, so let's quickly google that. Okay, I'm just gonna google the definition of quirky, just so we are speaking about the same thing. Define quirky straight into Google. We've got having or characterized by peculiar or unexpected traits or aspects. No, that's you.
Speaker 1: Let me think of something that you do that's perpetuating something that's not actually true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because similar words to quirky are eccentric, idiosyncratic, unconventional. You are quirky.
Speaker 1: I didn't want this to be about neflex. I wanted to illuminate something.
Speaker 2: You don't think you're quirky or you just don't like the connotation of the word quirky is annoying by your perceptual definition both both. Because this is me tapping the screen hopefull, you see it clearer because in this instance, the way you look match with the way you dress, matched with your humor, matched with your aspirations, matched with your karenness, the combination that is quirky.
Speaker 1: The Karen's throwing a bit of a nut in the mix, a bit of a nut in the nut frame mix.
Speaker 2: All that's confusing.
Speaker 1: I have don I think if you're listening to this, what about myself?
Speaker 2: But what does it matter? Well, what's the point we're getting to.
Speaker 1: I just think it's interesting to know, like what think about things that you just perpetuate that don't actually serve you anymore, because I'm sure like five years ago, I would have been like, yes, Jim is an enormous part of my personality, but is it really But yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a gym rat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, that's just a small example.
Speaker 2: That's a nice little something to share.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that, my pleasure, doll flex and fruits.
Speaker 2: Earlier this week we talked about how in New Zealand you can't name your child Lucifer, sex fruit or anal. The week beforehand, we spoke about how you can't name your child Linda or Sandra in Saudi Arabia. Today I'm letting you know that you can't name your child Natella. In France, someone tried to name their child this and it was denied and instead the government suggested they call their child Ella. Which is nice to come back with suggestions, because we all know the worst thing that happens to be during a brainstorm is when someone hates your ideas and suggests no other ideas. So this was you know, ten points to the French government just for this only everything else with beefin.
Speaker 1: Nut ella is like if Cinderella busted a nut nutella, it's been on a childhood classic. Say Nottella, Someone's got to pay that. That's what I'd go back with the French government and say, no, no, non, this was intentional.
Speaker 2: No Tella, you multilingual babe.
Speaker 1: Why should it that a brand can therefore like trump a child's name.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is flex and frooms on CADA. I told you that I have been spending my morning commute or my morning getting ready listening to nothing, no podcast, no music, no stimulus, because I'm trying to at least train my brain to get used to not having I don't know, just noise, Like what am I thinking when there's nothing else? Adding to the fodder turns out just dilemmas, just question.
Speaker 1: A lot of content for CADA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it works out well. Actually, I'll just look into just a vacant space the room and think, I feel like that's what philosophers do or did, And somebody did say that podcasters are twenty twenty philosophers.
Speaker 1: I don't know who you said that.
Speaker 2: But you asked a couple of weeks ago, would we rather be happy or special? I said happy? You said special. You disagreed with my answer. Yep, you would preferred that, I too said special, but I didn't. Today I'm going to ask you, would you rather know when you die? Or how you die? And why do I have to know either? That's not the question. Okay, these contrarians get them out of the studio. So would you rather define? Would you rather? That's you?
Speaker 1: Most of the time?
Speaker 2: No, I do like definition, So probably if.
Speaker 1: I have to pick one, Yeah, what depends how I die, I'd I think I'd want to know when, because how how I'm going to die terrifies me. I don't actually terrify I die or not. I just I'm scared of how it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: WHOA.
Speaker 1: But it's like anything that you try for the first time, it's terrifying. It's like jumping over the precipice and falling into a crack. I don't want to know how I'm going to die, because if I die in a car crash, I'm going to think every time I leave and get in a car, I'm going to die. Whereas if I know when it is, then I can probably make the most it probably would improve my quality of life because I'd be more intentional to confirm. You would rather know when you die, not how you die. Yes, because you're under the impression knowing when you die means what I will be able to take my life not more seriously, but just appreciate it more because I know how many days I have. It's like knowing how many days you have in your school holidays. If you just fancy free running around not actually knowing, then you're going to like get to last day and be like, damn all that time, But I actually don't have much time. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: That reminds me of when I worked in PR and I was trying to go from full time to part time to toy with the idea of quitting to become a DJ. And so I convinced myself that with the one extra day I had, I would do so many things. Oh, it's gonna be fantastic. I'll work on my hobbies, I'll go to the post office, whatever, whatever, whatever. I did nothing with that extra day, not anything greater than I would have done if I was working full time, but for the longest time, even while being part time and not doing the thing that was my internal narrative. I'm using my time so much better. This is exactly what I had planned. Every day is so purposeful.
Speaker 1: Liar, Well, that's kind of nice. I'd prefer that lie than thinking that, oh I should be not using it, like getting yourself all frothed up? What would you prefer?
Speaker 2: I think I'd rather know how I die, because I don't want to die, and to the when, I think would make the idea of death a bit more realistic to me, a bit more like finite finite, a bit more certain. And I'd rather just have this illusion that I'm not going anywhere at all, just like reincarnate. Sometimes I'll be your pet, you know, I'll be a bird, I'll be a building. I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: You're grain of sand if I've got anything to do with it.
Speaker 2: But with the hell, I'd be like, ugh, you dummy, you die from high cholesterol, your bloody idiot.
Speaker 1: Would you make any changes?
Speaker 2: No? No, you don't play god when you have this information, you just vibe because realistically, if today you told me that I die drowning, I don't really like swimming that much anyway, So at the very least I'm like don't need to change my lifestyle that much to avoid potentially drowning from swimming. Next thing, you know, someone water boards me. Didn't see that on coming. But that's okay. But what was I going to do differently? And if you said, oh, you're not dying from cancer, well okay, it's a possibility now anyway. But the when they say yes is sixty second birthday. I want know that information.
Speaker 1: I do, but I can really make the most.
Speaker 2: But what do you mean make the most? Create as much.
Speaker 1: As possible, then live on through the seed?
Speaker 2: When have you made the most recently? What does that look like for you?
Speaker 1: Doing what I want? When I want?
Speaker 2: When have you done that last weekend?
Speaker 1: Would you do hung out with my mom? Yep? Nah, I don't actually know. I never know what I want. That's life. That's the end of that.
Speaker 2: No, I want to what do you mean make the most? I'm so fascinated.
Speaker 1: Okay, if I if I knew that I was going to die when I'm sixty two, ye, I think I'd feel good because I know that there's a certain amount of time. Like I don't want to be I don't necessarily I don't want to jinx myself live on until I'm incapacitated and my mind is like tearing up into pieces.
Speaker 2: Would you rather have a deteriorating body or mind?
Speaker 1: Body for sure, Well, deteriorating mind. You are nothing but your mind.
Speaker 2: Oh you believe that? Yeah? Hectic?
Speaker 1: But as you were, as I was, I just I just would hate the idea of living life knowing that I'm going to die a certain way. I think it would make me what's it called when you can't leave your house aaphobic? Agoraphobic? It would be giving a four agoraphobic? Giving you for are I just be watching euphoria.
Speaker 2: The reason why I'm asking this hypothetical question is because I think despite the when or where, people's sense of like default or normal always corrects itself. So what feels like this really wild thing I find out I die when I'm sixty two is super spooky until three weeks later you're so comfortable with the idea that it's normal. For example, like at one point you would have been fifteen being like, oh my goodness, one day I'm gonna be twenty seven, gonna be so old, it's gonna be so embarrassing. Now you're twenty seven, you're like it's fine. Yeah, I just age some days. Yeah, it's fun. Yeah, But realistically, for how foreign it was of a concept when you were younger, you just have time to sit with it. You're like, oh, you know that happened when your parents like, you know, you're not gonna be friends with your school friends whoever. You're like, no way, mom, We're gonna be best friends forever. And now you're like, I don't know those people. Yeah. So I think the same concept with the idea. I think the idea of death is spookier than actually dying. You don't think like, I'm in my had like all the possibilities and then what's gonna shut down first? And am I gonna feel it? And am I gonna be regretful? Well, I'll be sad, will be content, and then you'll just die.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, so it doesn't really matter if your hat sad, happy, content.
Speaker 2: Well it matters.
Speaker 1: Well not, it doesn't because you're gonna die.
Speaker 2: I think it matters, but it's not important.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't get that.
Speaker 2: That's okay. Not everything's to be understood. What is to be understood cannot be explained. As I said, life is a circle, and I do like that one, because I really believe that is it the ora boris what the snake that eats its own tail? Oh okay, you're a whole loss for you don't even know it though.
Speaker 1: Or a boris I'm a bit or a boris right now, or a bored of this speaking on behalf of myself and my people. All right, that's your thought, doll, get back to you next time. Yeah, I appreciate you taking yourself on this journey with me. Is very hot and sexy.
Speaker 2: This is flex and frooms on.
Speaker 1: A friend of a friend of mine is going through something very specific.
Speaker 2: And when you say friend of a friend, are we talking in a circle? Out of circle?
Speaker 1: Out of circle?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's like a friend of someone who I would call a friend. So not exactly an acquaintance, definitely not a close friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ok, I like that.
Speaker 1: But they've put this on Reddit, and then my friend has sent me the link saying, hey, this is this is I won't say your name.
Speaker 2: And how does your friend know?
Speaker 1: They're just internet sloths?
Speaker 2: Wow, nothing is sacred. Everything is up for discussion. Okay, So and you'll let you know what I'll do on a national show. I got to put it out of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is what he wrote. Did my best friend plan this pregnancy? She told me she was on birth control and now she's pregnant after we slept together for a few days. She and I have been best friends for two years now, so two years is nothing.
Speaker 2: I mean fast friendships, strong connections.
Speaker 1: I get red flags from that. We're close and we tell each other everything. Basically, she had never asked me out on a date or anything until we found out that she was pregnant. She and I have had this tension between us before, and we both like each other, but never really didn't thing about it or mentioned it. Long story short, she and I ended up traveling together and we ended up sharing a hotel to save costs. You looked straight into this dog the.
Speaker 2: Old share a hotel room to save costs. Full pregnant pipeline.
Speaker 1: She came on to me and we had sex all during the trip. I had suggested we use condoms for the first time. Sure he did, but she told me she was on birth control and that we would be pulling out.
Speaker 2: So it's fine. Can I quickly pause for a caveat the way we americanize our speech? What is a birth control. It's the pill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he's on Radity's trying to, like, I understand getting with the common people. I don't want to get too descriptive, but I tried pulling away from her, at least not definition side her, but she would leg lock me enough. A few weeks later, she told me that she was pregnant. The baby is one hundred percent mine, since I'm the only one she's been with it all. After I found out about the pregnancy, she asked if we could raise the baby together as a and see if things would work out. I agreed because I have feelings for her and care about her, and now I have a baby on the way. I was just thinking about it and thought that maybe this was planned or do guys think that it is just an accident and that she's a one of the very few to get pregnant despite being on birth control. Thanks it's giving a three syllable word entrapment. However, it kind of feels like so he didn't use a condom, so I think he's semi asking for it. He's like an asking for its situation. But if you are having sex without a condom, you're ready resk you take it.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, yeah, I'm sorry. Yeah, it's a bit rich on his end, being like, well, she said that she was on birth control and I trusted her. Do you really know her? Then? Is that your bestie? Now you got a co parent? Look at this, The whole thing is just messed up. I feel like people, the things that we are fearful of in life don't match up to the things that we should actually be afraid of. Because how are we not scared that every time we we're gonna have babies? I know, I am, you're scared of that. Yeah, I don't want to raise a kid ill at least surely you know what I mean. Like you have a nice little night out and then suddenly you've got the clap and you're like, oh, okay, that's not what I planned for. But here we are. And even in this instance, right like I would say, for the both of them, let's not use the phrase you're asking for it. But I feel as though when you do things and you don't take all the necessary precautions that we've been taught since we were literal children, why do you think you're the exception to the rule. Like, even if the person you're sleeping with us on birth control. You're only doing half the recipe. It's like, Oh, I tried to make a cake, and you know, she bought the eggs and I know I was meant to bring the vanilla essence, but I didn't, and now the cake doesn't taste good. Okay, what do you want us to do? You knew what you were meant to do, you didn't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess so. Oh yeah, you use the packet mix and you mixed in water and then you expecting it to not make a cake, but it made a cake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, whoa I would feel Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I gotta be on her side with this one. I know it seems crazy, and I reckon she did leg lock him in for a purpose. She's a little bit older than he is, and I think she's a bit classic.
Speaker 2: Oh didn't you didn't mention this? You gay inside scoop?
Speaker 1: Would I want to do it that way? No? Am I desperate for a child right now? No side though, because he should know better, he should he should wear a condom. We're told all the time to be cleverer, to take certain precautions, and it doesn't prevent us from being in harm's way. So I'm glad he got a bit of medicine.
Speaker 2: I think they both. I feel like, so, what's he going to do now? He's gonna be like he's going to be a parent? Yes, involved depends. I mean that's like a good outcome. I guess if they keep it, don't don't dunt.
Speaker 1: Well, they're in America. Maybe so done in America.
Speaker 2: These details after the fact, we've decided what we think they're talking about, age gaps. She's older, they're in America.
Speaker 1: Geez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if we can end this with a with a PSA, please do your due diligence and don't expect that the exception of the rule won't be your experience. Please do not feign a lack of understanding when you do a thing that you've been taught how to do correctly incorrectly. Yeah, and please always be prepared for outcomes that don't suit your best interest. No fearmongering, xturing, just astute observations.
Speaker 1: That will haunt you forevermore.
Speaker 2: That's hectic. I would hate to like be be the topic of someone else's gossip like this. This sucks. Sorry, hadn't do it well.
Speaker 1: And there'll be a time. There'll be a time we're on the receiving end, not me, but hopefully you.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, Tune in Deca on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.