Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, it's no surprise it is Friday, which means it is time to get our little team together and celebrate you, our incredible She's on the Money community today, mister, she is going to be sharing her favorite money wins. Beck is going to be sharing her best broke tips, and we'll be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about reframing your skills and getting yourself out there. We also get the opportunity to unpack something that you slid into our DMS, about which this week we're talking splitting cleaning costs after a party, which I think got a little bit spicy in our DMS.
Speaker 4: Jess, Oh it sure did.
Speaker 2: All right, let's check in with the team before we go any further. Beck, you're coming to us from the Sydney Popcast studio.
Speaker 4: You're with a girl.
Speaker 5: This is so weird.
Speaker 2: Hey, it is very strange. What are you doing in Sydney. You've got a big dog career moment.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Actually, I don't know if you know it, but I'm like rich and faith famous, so pretty much is traveling for work. No, I'm actually traveling to see my family and friends. No friends, actually just my family, and I'm kind of coming to this in the office just to meet my team some for the very first time ever. So I thought, you know, may as well just give it a go midyear, right after payday was kind of the perfect timing. But yeah, this is very strange. I kind of like it though. I kind of like it.
Speaker 2: It's actually triggering me a little bit, Jess, from when we would have to record Yeah, every single episode remotely, like I just I loved it because it was what I guess kept me going throughout COVID, being to record and hang out with you guys online. But oh my gosh, having you on riverside, which is like our online platform, you could say, for recording podcasts remotely, I'm just like, what.
Speaker 5: Got fomo?
Speaker 6: I can't even see Jess anyway. We'll bring her over. I'll bring her over.
Speaker 2: She can sit next to me and you can see her, Jess as your week being just as colorful. What have you been up to?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's been a good week. I went on a little weekend get away on the weekend. I saw that very fun, arguably.
Speaker 2: The most aesthetic weekend get away I've seen in my life. Where did you go? What did you do us?
Speaker 4: We went to Castle, Maine, which I'd never been to before. I'm working with Visit Victoria to showcase some regional little spots, which was really fun. And I got to go with my bestie and have a little girl's weekend and it was just super wholesome, Like we went antiquing and had a picnic and I fed a duck from my hand, a wild duck, a wild duck. Yes, And before anyone comes to me. I didn't feed it bread. I feeded a grape cut in half sweet would be easily digestible.
Speaker 2: I love that you know that we're at that stage where people are going to come for you for feeding the duck. Who bread? Yes, I didn't even know that was the thing, but the way you prefaced it tells me it's absolutely an issue.
Speaker 4: There is lots of discourse online, so do Okay, I did my research.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for feeding the duck grapes. Grapes are expensive at the moment, so that was a very big sacrifice made by you.
Speaker 4: Locally sourced organic grapes that we bought at the market as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, little wholesome aesthetic life over there, who is Louise, Let's get into it. Though. I really like ducks. I want a pet duck. I feel like that would be but those like what are they called, like runner ducks, like the big white ones with the orange beaks that look like Jemima puddle duckling. Yes, I need one of those ones.
Speaker 4: The market where I got the grapes, they sold chickens, and I very nearly like baby chicks because it's like a regional area and people have farms. I thought you were.
Speaker 2: About to tell me they sold picking duck. Different.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: I nearly brought home a little pet chicken, but I thought better of it, and it's restrained myself.
Speaker 2: That's very good restraint.
Speaker 4: Why didn't you buy one? Because I have two cats and I just feel like that might not work.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see you can make anything work. You can it work. I would make it work, all right, Jess. I want to know that would have been a money loss. But I want to know what our community have as your favorite money wins of the week. What have you wrapped up for us?
Speaker 4: So my first money when this week comes from a chantal who said I had my annual pay review, received a ten k per year pay rise, plus an extra week of annual leave per year. Also, I'm moving in with my partner in two weeks, so my costs will be cut in half. We've had a lot of discourse lately around the pay rise, where Victoria put a video or two on the internet and we're still getting comments.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Beck and I were recording a deep dive earlier today and we were talking about that. I was like, it's a hallmark, right, like going viral. It's not just about views, it's about how many abusive comments you can collect in your comments section and your dms, of which I had a plethora.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you for that. Lovely random people on the internet.
Speaker 2: It was literally my favorite. Like I just laugh at them like it doesn't do anything and just tells me that you're insecure, like it's true, pop off this. Thanks for the engagement.
Speaker 5: We're going to come for you for that one, here cha.
Speaker 4: My next moment comes from Grace, who said I was looking online for a new book to read, potentially spending thirty plus dollars. Then I stopped and remembered my financial goals, so I drove to the library and got three books out instead. All I paid was it dollar thirty in park money you want.
Speaker 2: That's so wholesome and also reminds me that libraries do indeed exist and I should utilize them and I don't.
Speaker 4: Someone told me, I remember how a week or two ago we were talking about how I want to learn how to sew. Someone told me libraries have maker studios where you can go in and access sewing machines, embroidery machines, things like that for free. I think it's only in larger CBD libraries primarily, but I got on Google and there's a couple in Melbourne, and I would imagine there would be a few in other states. So if you want to sew but you don't want to spend on a sewing machine.
Speaker 2: Shape, you can borrow my sewing machine.
Speaker 4: I appreciate.
Speaker 2: I was going to have Jess over Beck and I was going to teach her all of the basic skills because I actually did get this you twelve textiles, wow, because I just really wanted to bring my score down because obviously the gets get marched down. Yeah, it turns out I can actually sew wholesome sewing day at good. I think it's good, but like you're going to get what you get and you don't get upset.
Speaker 5: Or how that is very cute, very wholesome, better than where I am.
Speaker 2: I can do a kits stitch.
Speaker 4: I don't even know where that is, so you already thanks a kitoy. My next money when it comes from Lauren who said I complained about a faulty product and I got myself a refund. When ended up with one hundred dollars. It took me ages to get around to doing it, But in the end it was reasonably easy and the customer service person was really helpful.
Speaker 2: Love what else have you got?
Speaker 4: Jess from Angela, I have a money in that says I had a punctuary my tire and I went to the place around the corner from my house thinking it would be fifty bucks. Roughly they ended up fixing it for money win.
Speaker 2: I thought they were going to go the other way.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought. We always comment on how mechanics sometimes do a bit of a dodge when you're a woman in these cars.
Speaker 2: See you're broken tire. We definitely can't fix you have to buy four brand new ones. It's what I expected.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in fact, your whole engine has falled out.
Speaker 2: That's so weird.
Speaker 4: Love that. And lastly, I have a money win from Sasha who says I got this stunning vintage wooden rocking horse for free on Facebook marketplace. Me and my three year old daughter are very happy and she put in a photo and I just love it when people put photos their money. It's really cute.
Speaker 2: Please litter our money wins thread each and every single week with your photos. And if you don't have a photo, just like post a selfie or something. I'm so here for.
Speaker 4: Picture of your cat. I'd love a picture of your mouth.
Speaker 2: Yes, cat tax. I believe that's called cat tax.
Speaker 4: We love a cat. There's a group chat with me, Gabby and Victoria called pet appreciation for him, and I'm not allowed to send a text until I send a photo of my pet first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like through chat. You need something for work, great, send a picture of your cat and then we'll address your concern.
Speaker 6: Sorry, just we're not listening. Yeah, can't he We're not listening until I see photo.
Speaker 4: I'll come hold a photo in front of the camera for you back one second.
Speaker 2: That is actually it, Like, that's actually what happens. And I'm not sorry about it. It's just how our business works.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have it any other way personally me neither.
Speaker 2: Is that all you've got this week, Jessica, that's everything? Oh my gosh, Well you know what that means. We get to very subtly segue straight into Beck's broke tips. Oh my gosh, what have you got this week? I've got a couple this week.
Speaker 6: I feel as though something's biting you on the leg. So if I seem distracted, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: And Alisa get out from under the tailor.
Speaker 6: Ali through again, she's actually in my studio, not yours. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. Well that's what I was so shocked about, because she's not even here and.
Speaker 2: She's still biting on a leg. I don't understand all the time.
Speaker 6: Okay, So my first broke tip of this week comes from Laura, who says that they take a small bottle of water. It seems like quite a simple one, but basically you fill up your water bottle at work, which is a money win. Because I'm sorry, a broke tip. Sorry, Jess, I'm trying to ste your job again.
Speaker 5: It is a broke tip.
Speaker 6: Because it doesn't seem first of all, it's great for the environment, and it doesn't seem like it costs a lot of money. But a dollar two dollars, three dollars for a bottle of water. Every time you're, like, you know, out and about, or you're on the road, or you're going to work, it adds up. It's bad for the environment. Just take yourself a reusable bottle of water and you'll save so much money in the long run and the environment. Single use plastic is so twenty twenty three January.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 6: The next broke tip for this week is from Amy, who says that in the winter, whenever she cooks something, she leaves the oven door slightly open or cracked all the way open after she's finished cooking, because then it warms up the whole kitchen. Maybe even if you have an open plan living area, you'll.
Speaker 2: Heat up the whole loud room, the whole kitchen cold.
Speaker 5: Dim very great idea. Don't even chuck the heater on. You just open up your oven when you're done, so you cook your dinner. You got a dinner there, and you open up the oven, you heat the whole place.
Speaker 6: That's a great idea, that's very intelligent. I genuinely never would have thought about that. And I literally in the winter sometimes stand in front of my oven with my hands over the top of it because I'm cold. So clearly I have been using it as a source of heat for not just food, but I never would have dragged it out into actually being I guess responsible.
Speaker 4: Very smart, just been mindful of small children and pet please.
Speaker 5: Ah, that's very true.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's a really good caveat use safety first goal. I do not even think about that unofficial you know.
Speaker 2: What, I reckon jair Spec When she was at primary school, she was that kid who dabbed on all the other kids for not wearing their hats at recess.
Speaker 4: I was not, but I definitely was a bit of a teachers pet.
Speaker 5: I'm not shocked by that. I've got to be honest.
Speaker 6: I don't think anybody I'm not shocked, but yeah, no, it feels like a big waist of hot air if you're just closing the Ovens Street after you don't. But anyway, so my personal brute tip for this week. Honestly, it's not gonna be changing the world. It's not groundbreaking, but I basically just wanted to talk about how sometimes when I literally have like eleven dollars left to last me the week and I've got to pay for food, food is my main priority. If anyone wants me to pay them back for dinner, or if EastLink come at me with a toll invoice, I'm sorry, I just I'm not.
Speaker 5: I'm not doing that right now. But what I will tell you is that.
Speaker 6: A cheap way to kind of make your money last, or you know, get as much food as you can for a very little amount of money. I would say, obviously home brand white bread that is about a dollar.
Speaker 2: Beck, you have used this on the podcast. I was going to say, you cannot tell me that you're going to make sandwiches because you got sorry white bread?
Speaker 4: All right? Gotchak?
Speaker 5: Did I say something about sandwich?
Speaker 2: I thought she was like full broke tipping her broke tips by reusing a broke tip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. I feel like was that maybe the first one. We've definitely had.
Speaker 2: The sandwiches and you can make toast. Where are you going with this?
Speaker 4: Beck?
Speaker 5: No, this one wasn't about sandwiches. This is like more of a list.
Speaker 2: A grocery right a, right, Sorry, Sorry, I didn't mean you are sorry.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 2: I might actually be reusing it now. I want to hear it. I'll savage it when you're done, let me know it.
Speaker 6: If this sounds too familiar. And then I was going to say everything's homebrand. Let's always as humor and say I'm using home brand. Yeah, bag of white rice one kilogram. If you do have capacity, get one of those ten kilogram ones will lasts you a long time. I'm also saying bassa fill it. It's a very cheap, very delicious, very nutritional piece of white fish. It's like often six dollars a kilo if you get one two three fillts that if you cut the fillin in half, I'm saying, you're gonna be hungry all week. But that very cheap fish that is also filling, also tasty, also good for you, will last you the week, and it will not cost you that much money.
Speaker 2: That's really smart. And bassa when it's frozen is even cheaper, and ye's still good when you defrust it.
Speaker 6: Yes, don't ask me why it's cheap. I don't want to know why it's cheap. But it is so cheap all the time. I don't think it's even gone up in price since I was a baby.
Speaker 2: Let's not even question that. No people in our DMS, they can worry about that.
Speaker 4: I don't want to hear why the fish is cheap.
Speaker 2: I don't want to don't yuck. Sometimes we're asking for feedback, sometimes we're not. This time, we're not guarantee people still like. I know you said you didn't want to know, but I just know.
Speaker 4: It's going to be that gives me the heavy genies and keeps me up at night.
Speaker 5: So you will ruin fish. You will, and you'll also ruin my budget for the week. So and but.
Speaker 6: Then the next thing was going to be literally just like the biggest bag of frozen veggies you can get. This is I'm only talking about if you're like a single person.
Speaker 2: What because single people they're the only ones that eat frozen vegetables. Back oh that too.
Speaker 6: But also if your child's like, you know, the only thing they eat is nuggets, Like, I'm not condoning that at all, but you can honestly buy big, giant home brand bags of frozen nuggets.
Speaker 5: Just everything frozen. Frozen is cheap. I don't you know. There's obviously reasons why it's cheap. It's probably not the best for you, but frozen is cheap.
Speaker 6: Bassa phil, it's cheap white rice, get all the home brand cheap you know, things that you know, anything that's feeling you just want to survive is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: You just which is a really good tip when you say your child will only eat frozen nuggets. So you're talking about our co host jessicot Rici, Yes, yeah, that's what I thought. Can I bandwagon onto this broke tip section? Because I actually have a really cheap recipe. But do you know what I will put in the newsletter for today. It will be my unsolicited recommendation because you didn't ask for Victoria's broke tip, but you're getting it, And that is a recipe for dull. Dull is one of my favorite foods because it is just so tasty. It's basically like an Indian style curry that is made with lentils, and if you buy dried lentils, they are honestly cheap as chips, and it can be so well seasoned and you can have that with bread, You could have it with some rice, you could have it with some frozen mashed potato into the Irish squacamole like.
Speaker 4: Irish Irish coca mole.
Speaker 2: What what is it not Irish squacamole.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's the funniest thing I've ever heard. I've never heard.
Speaker 2: Do you know what that tells me? Beck I didn't read it, doesn't read my newsletters.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard you say it before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if Irish gotam olt mashed potato. Anyway, moving on, a dahl is such an easy recipe to make, and you can scale it up and down for very cheap. I'm pretty sure a recipe of dahl each serve is less than fifty cents. As you guys know if you read my newsletter each and every single time I put a recipe in, I like, literally do all of the breakdown of the ingredients, how much it'll cost. Last week, when I recommended muffins that they're collect, I broke down what it would cost you at Cole's and it will lose because like I was like, well, what if you shop at a different place, You're can need these like you're going to need this information. And then I didn't want people to cut me off and be like, you didn't account for the cinnamon, And so guess.
Speaker 4: What I didn't Just you didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I calculated how much cinnamon I used that It was zero point four cents oh word for cinnamon in my muffins last week. But you best believe I accounted for that, because I swear every time I cook something on the internet and I'm like, oh, yep, it's just a quick three ingredients this they're like, you didn't account from the spices, and the spices they're for the privileged. I'm like that bowl, that bowl you had to buy the bowl. Oh you used muffin liners with your muffins. That wasn't accounted to sit down.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, we try theero point four cents of cinnamon into our.
Speaker 2: Budget for that and we are all having at some point in the next week. Victoria's recipe for Dahl McCarney because it's basically like a buttered chicken style dull. So it tastes like buttered chicken, but there's no chicken because that's not what I would put in my recipe. And it's cheap as chips, and it tastes really good and you can have it with rice, and it's honestly a ten out of ten meal. I say it's Victoria's dahlma carney recipe because I know that good Dahl McCarney recipes exist. This isn't it cany it. It's my budget hacked up even cheaper version.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 5: I love that. I love that Tudka.
Speaker 6: Anyway, you're the only person on the team that's allowed to make that joke.
Speaker 5: I am. I am no joke. I'll make you a dumb tudga one.
Speaker 2: Day, thank you. I'm in for it all right with that, let's go to a really quick break. On the flip side, we're going to be talking about reframing your skills to get yourself out there, and a spicy topic that has been blowing up our dms this week about splitting cleaning costs after you host a party so guys don't go anywhere.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, everybody. Let's listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, love Lies, I'm hoping you can help me. I have five K in credit card debt that I want cleared, but I'm struggling to make any progress on my eighty three K salary due to all the cost of living increases and constantly increasing mortgage repayments. I know I need a second income stream, but am at a loss what to do? Do you have any suggestions on side hustles for a personal assistant slash admin professional. I have twenty years experience and am very good at my job, but for some reason, I lose all confidence in myself when I think about what skills I have to offer and whether anyone out there would hire me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I want to hugue you.
Speaker 4: That makes my heart sad that you're doubting yourself and your skills, and you've obviously got so many years of experience behind you. And to be quite frank, lots of people with zero experience are making what's money on the internet. So if they can do it, so can you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like, that's basically the entire segment. Thank you for coming. Like there is a quote, and it's not a nice quote, but we're going to put it on the podcast anyway. There are dumber people doing smarter things than you are. Yeah, there go literally and it always motivates me. I'm like, yeah, you're right, there's no reason why I couldn't do anything that I'm putting my mind to because I feel like so many of the skills the employers look for are not something that is I guess as measurable as I guess a technical skill. So like, I want you to be on time, I want you to be polite, I want you to be kind, I want you to have a really high attention to detail. None of those things come from your level of intelligence, but more from your ability to apply yourself. And I feel like this is the theme of the week, so I'm going to repeat it again because I basically want to drill it into everybody's brains. But Beck and I were recording earlier this week a deep dive, and I said it on there, so we're going to say it again. That will come out in a couple of weeks and it will make sense to you. But having a low opinion of yourself is not humble. It is actually self destruction. And I think that by reframing our thoughts, you could change yourself into anyone you want to be. You stay at home, mum, Jess, great, you're out of the workforce for twenty years. You're probably looking at that going far out. I have no tangible skills. Your project management skills illite. Your time management, oh my gosh, amazing. You can manage multiple priorities. That's fantastic. There are so many things that you do that you need to be able to see to get other people to see. And if you can't see your own value, it clouds the value that other people able to see in you. So it is really at your own detriment if you're not seeing yourself as valuable, because I promise you are. Like, reframing things is so important, But sitting down and going well, what do I do and your job description might be a little bit helpful, but I guarantee it's not about what's on the list. It's about the things that go beyond that that are the selling points, right Like Jess, for example, if I take your job descriptions for Partnerships manager at She's on the money. There are all these tick boxes. But if you then flipped it and said, Victoria, what do you like about what I do it, she's on the money you already know.
Speaker 4: But tell me anyway, absolutely, but.
Speaker 2: It's not that you fulfill your job description. It's that you're a client human and that our clients really like interacting with you. And you've got the ability to manage multiple priorities and still maintain a hit about you. There are so many different things that to me are really important and the reason you have the job, yeah, you do the job like that's you know, let's say a hygiene factor. But I think to be able to see these things about yourself, that's when you are able to reframe your skills and put yourself out there a bit more. And I guess you know there are those silly quotes where you know, sillier people are doing smarter things like yes, because do you know what silly people have audacity?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: In a while, I'm gonna throw my own dad under the bus literally right now, guys, Dad, I love you. But this is just a really good example. Guys.
Speaker 6: Look at this screenshot of a text message that my dad sent inspirational messages from eric device today.
Speaker 2: It's a picture of an old guy. It's a painting, and it says on it, when you're dead, you know that you're dead. The pain it's felt by others. The same thing happens when you're stupid.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, Dad, that's a very dad esque But it's I'm not calling anybody stupid.
Speaker 2: I just think it's all about reframing like, you're a smart human being and we need to see ourselves as such. Like you have so much value I promise you do at the end of the day. Like you genuinely are smarter than most people that do your job because you've been doing it for so long and there's so much value in that as well. You've seen the peaks and the truughs of your industry. You have experienced lots of different challenging circumstances. You've probably had to manage multiple priorities. You've probably had to go through a lot to get where you are today, and I think it's just so important to be able to point that out. I think from my perspective, that feels like a lot to swallow. So if I were you, and that's what my ultimate goal was to, I guess, put myself out there and get more work and you know, change things, I would actually start with so fluffy, but a little bit of self work, Like how don't you sit down and talk to yourself about this, Like write a list of the things that you think you're good at. Like you can burn the list later because you might be embarrassed of all things that you're writing down because you're like, oh my gosh, I feel like I've got so many tickets for myself by writing this. But write a list of the things that you're good at. Are you good at communicating? Are you really good at project management and time management? Are you really good at, you know, maybe whipping together in Excel spreadsheet. It depends on who you are and what you do. But write down all of those things so that you can see them. Because the more you believe in yourself, the easier it is for other people to buy into that belief.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: What are the tips and tricks have you guys got?
Speaker 4: I would say, just to her question about what side hustle she could do that were kind of admin based or focused, I would suggest getting on platforms like fiver or air tasker, because you can pick up really simple once off tasks. I think, especially if you're just starting to side hustle and you're fitting it in around a full time job, it can be tricky to juggle priorities, especially when you've got other just life general things that you have to attend to. So taking on once off jobs here and there when you've got the time and the capacity is a really straightforward way to kind of make it work for you. And those platforms are really great. Like I remember once someone had paid me five bucks to save something to a PDF, like there is some no they didn't like, you know, And if you have any skills like video editing, I've done a lot of just like thank you ble no, but it's you know, people who need just a video cut together, and it's a really straightforward thing if you've got the skill set or lots of times there'll be people who just need a little bit of assistance with maybe some admin management, some email management, templating for resumes and copywriting very frequently asked for, so you can pick up once off jobs and then maybe once you build a bit of momentum up you can offer it as a niche skill. Maybe you set up a website, but obviously that's a bit more investment and time. So getting on platforms that already exist makes it easy. You can pick and choose what you do. You can build up a bit of an existing client base and some recommendations, and then down the track if you want to do more, you can kind of leverage off of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can kind of price yourself cheaper at the start to get some reviews, and as you get better and better reviews, you can increase your process because you become a trusted member of that platform. Like so many times I'll be like, oh, they're charging X for that and they have no reviews. No, But if you get a few reviews behind you, you're more likely to get that momentum in I guess picking up clients, and it's a very smart way of I guess side hustling and bringing in a little bit of extra income and also It can build your confidence as well, because if you price yourself at a point where you go, yeah, I know that job is providing value to somebody else. I'm getting a little bit of income from it. It's going to give me a really good review. They give you a review. You're increasing your confidence and wow, like I can do that.
Speaker 6: I'm going to charge five dollars more, and over time that compounds and then you're charging exactly what every other freelancer would and you're feeling confident about it.
Speaker 2: So I think that that's really smart.
Speaker 4: Beck.
Speaker 2: Where would you start? What would you do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a really tough one and such a struggle that I feel like everyone you know a lot, well not everyone, but I feel like a lot of people can relate to right now. And it's very sad that that's the situation, having to, you know, take more time out of your regular life that you want to live because you can't afford to pay for mortgage or rental or whatever the case may be. But honestly, I would just say hang in there. It's really really poor advice, Like I don't have advice on how to start a side hustle and kind of like get back into an industry or into an industry, but I just as.
Speaker 5: A little confidence boost. You can do this, and you.
Speaker 6: Got this, and it's really, really, really sucks, and I'm proud of you for being like, you know, I will just get a side hustle and you know that it's going to take a lot a chunk out of your free spare time. But proud of you if you're doing that. And I think that hopefully eventually everything will be okay.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, that's very useless.
Speaker 2: Good pep talk back. I think that that hits the nail on the head. I think just getting started, just try it out, just try it out. I mean, at the end of the day, I feel like you're right back. Lots of people in our community are struggling with paying their mortgage, the spiraling cost of living, and I think, just put yourself out there, like you're clearly a well articulated, smart person and I can tell that just from a voicemail you left us, so I have no doubt that your clients would be really happy to hear from you. It's honestly, it's about confidence.
Speaker 6: Hopefully someone reaches out after listening to this and be like, hey, I've got this little thing that you can do or you know, I agree.
Speaker 2: All right, speaking of a little thing you can do. We had a community dilemma this week that was a little bit spicy and very one sided when it came to the responses from our community, which I thought was really funny because twenty percent of you said yes to this and eighty percent said absolutely not. So here is our community dilemma. This week. We got a message and it sounded a little like this, Hey, girls, I really need your opinion. My friend had a big group of girls over to her house for drinks on the weekend. There were about fifteen to twenty of us, which was super fun. However, she's now messaged everyone asking us to transfer her money in brackets immediately to help hire a professional to clean her house. She said that there were drinks built on the carpet and in the kitchen, and that the living area and the bathroom are now really dirty and she felt like we didn't respect her space. I don't think I should have to pay, as it was her choice to host us all knowing the consequences of the house getting dirty, and I low key feel like she's using this to get a free house clean it's not really in my budget for this week to pay her, but a lot of my friends have said they're happy to transfer. And now I feel like I'm being the bad guy. What do I do? How do I say I would rather not without making this friendship awkward? Vacon Jess, what are your thoughts? What happens if I hosted a little house party and then sent you a message after and said, hey, Jess, ho bet, can you please transfer me thirty bucks because you used my house and now it's messy, and yeah, I would like to hire a professional cleaner instead of cleaning it myself.
Speaker 6: This is really a tough one because if there is genuine like red wine stains on a white rug or something in like someone just like really came in and didn't respect your house and like broke some glasses and did all this stuff, like really destroyed it, or several people, I guess it's hard to kind of narrow down who the person was or the people were that kind of did this, But.
Speaker 5: It still feels a bit like not Okay, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I guess if they just came in and made a mess, a regular, normal mess, one that you might find after any gathero or house party or whatever, then definitely don't pay for that, just clean it. I don't know, it does get a little bit complicated if there's like real stains on, like really expensive furniture and things.
Speaker 4: I just feel like if I went to a party and I was respectful of the space and I did all the right things, and then someone expected me to cover someone else's damage, I'd be pissed off. Like if you're like, if if one person in the group got real messy, really drunk.
Speaker 2: You need to take it up with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you know what I mean? And as Beck said, I know that it's hard to narrow it down, but I would kind of being well, if I did all of the right things, why on earth should I be held responsible for the actions of somebody else? And I feel like from what she said, you know, mess in the bathroom, mess in the kitchen, that is a very standard thing if you're hosting, you know, an evening where people are perhaps partaking in a beverage, a bee or yeah, you know, stuff spilled on the carpet is another thing. But I also think that there are ways to clean that as well, Like have you said, hey, like have you just tried cleaning it? Have you, Stane rub Have you maybe messaged the group and said, hey, guys, like someone spilled something on the floor, did anyone have any ideas on how I could clean it? Maybe someone you would hope if they're good people, would they someone would say, oh, it was me, I'm so sorry, let me help you. I can pay for it. Like, I just don't think it's reasonable to put that expectation on everybody unless everyone was going crazy and as Beck said, like absolutely trashing the place. But in that case, why would you kind of host to begin with? I don't know. I don't want a victim blame here, but I just think that there's probably better ways to go around it than just immediately saying, hey, everybody, you have to put in for this expect that you didn't expect, when on some level, cleanup is an expected part of hosting.
Speaker 2: I feel icky about this one because obviously it's an unexpected cost that if I hosted a house party and then you messed up my house, I think it's on me, not on you. But also, what friends are you having over? Did you know that they would act like this?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a fair few different friends from lots of different walks of life, and there are a few friends that I would be like, absolutely not are they coming to my house to have a house party, because they will trash this place if they, you know, have a few too many bevrashiash And by me offering to host them, I'm opening myself up to that risk. And if you don't want to host, and you don't want to have your house essentially trashed, one, why you're hosting a party where that could get so out of hand, Like maybe don't offer.
Speaker 4: Your space to do that, or maybe call out the behavior, like if someone's being out that was really really truc and they're there and you're like, oh my gosh, I can see things happening. I can see that you're going crazy. Maybe just nicely says them, Hey, can I get you a cab to get you home? Like I'm just a bit worried about you, or I just think maybe you need to sleep it off. Can I organize a lift for you or help you get home in some way?
Speaker 2: I totally agree with you. I also feel like the way this read to me was like fifteen to twenty people, that's a pretty well sized house party, Like you were planning on having a house party where everyone was drinking. I'm assuming it wasn't like a quaint dinner party where we're all sitting around the table having out bevraginos with a like cheese platter right like by the way she was like, oh, there was like drinks on the carpet in the kitchen, in the living area and the bathroom, Like yeah, I don't know what type of like dinner party or a house party you're having where the bathroom gets absolutely filthy, Like I've never had that. And as you know, Beck and Jess note, I love entertaining, like I love having people over, and I feel like everyone's always respected my space, like I've never been like yeah, in the bathroom's disgusting, Like what are you doing in the bathroom of somebody else house to make it disgusting? So I feel like you kind of do open yourself up to that. Again, if it was completely out of hand, I think approaching it in the same way that you did Jess, where you're like, maybe you should take the conversation to the group, not make the decision, and then go by the way you owe me money Because if you're young, it's very unlikely that having the amount of money in your bank account to share in a professional cleaner is a fair assumption. Like, you're probably having house parties because if you're anything like young Victoria, you had a house parties because you couldn't afford to go out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Like, if you're over at my house, it's usually a budget decision, Jess, Yeah, for sure, Like it's not Yeah, Like I mean, I also love having people over for dinner parties, but it's if we're having house party.
Speaker 2: It's because it's way too expensive to like go to a venue per se. Anyway, do we have any thoughts before we go to what the community said?
Speaker 4: No, I want to hear what everybody else had to say, because we've all been very one sided.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So that eighty twenty split that I dropped before that was to the question do you think it's reasonable for the host to ask people to transfer her Twenty percent said yes, eighty percent of you said no.
Speaker 4: Yeap.
Speaker 2: We asked, whose responsibility is it to pay for the cleaning? A ninety one percent of you said the person who hosted the drinks agreed. Then we asked, if you were in this situation, would you be happy to pay, twenty four percent of you said yeah, and seventy six percent of you said no, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: Twenty four percent of you are better people than I am. Just to be like get in the bin, I'd be like, I'll come and scrub on my hands and knees and help you.
Speaker 2: But if I would actually offered them, if I like, help you clean up, I don't want to pay. Yeah, Like if that happened in a group chat and they were like, hey, the house is literally a bomb site. It's so much worse than i'd ever anticipated. Is anyone free to help me? I'll be there. That was jop me to bring my dyson. I've got a dyson. Yeah, really like showing it off, like I'll be there. I have done that for friends in the past where they're like moving into a house and it wasn't as clean as they thought it was going to be, And I was like, oh, I got your girl. I'm really good with a toothbrush.
Speaker 4: You took the toilet seed off. I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm very good at that. Anyway, moving forward to what the community said, someone said, ask for picks of the mess and offer to help her clean, which rank is good? Someone said I've hosted parties and had plenty of mess to clean up. That's the risk you're taking when you decide to host. Someone said, if it's a really reasonable amount, I don't see the issue in paying. Demanding it, though, is not an okay thing to do. Someone said, I've had parties and accepted cleanup is just a part of it. My friends helped tardy on the night of though, after a finished partying, which was more than enough help.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my friends do that too.
Speaker 6: I feel like I would never leave somebody's home without being like, oh, let me help stuck the dishwasher, let me like wipe down the venture. Like, I don't know, maybe we're just different people cut from it.
Speaker 4: I mean again, maybe if you're trashed, like I'm thinking back to like nineteen twenty, when you're like stumbling out of a house party and you don't know, yeah, you know you're an Arthur or a Martha. But like, it's one of those things where I think that if that's the case, again, there's just a nicer way to go about it like this, it feels very aggressive.
Speaker 2: It does feel aggressive. Yeah, Someone said, if you're hosting and then expecting any type of compensation, you need to be clear to everybody before you invite them and they turn up to your house.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 2: A few other people said, no way host pays. Someone else said it sounds like the guests were completely disrespectful to warrant a cleaning, which is totally fair. Girl, that friend needs to pull their head in, is what someone else is to. Honestly, if you're disrespecting someone's space when you go into it, what are you doing? Like I get getting really drunk, but like drunk me, Yeah, she's not messing up your house.
Speaker 6: I've never been so drunk that I've forgotten all my morals and no, yeah, like I would definitely still be cleaning up after myself. Well, if it's a house party, I certainly bounce, but yeah, I would never be, you know, trying to disrespect someone's space.
Speaker 2: I get that. And someone else said, if I was the one who spelled alcohol in a carp I would one hundred percent offer to pay for cleaning the carpet. And I guess that goes the flip way where it's like, if you know that that person is the one that's spilled the red wine, I feel like that's who you should be having a chat to not necessarily Jess and Beck, who were very respectful of your space and didn't do anything and were therefore like going to be a bit like, oh, I don't want to come to your next house party. That was a really awkward, weird situation, Like, yeah, I'd prefer to not be involved next time, like which I think would be a fair outcome, Like if I bill you after coming to my house party, you're gonna be like come back and not coming back. Let's probably end it there, because I feel like this is a done and dusted topic.
Speaker 4: Everyone seems to be an agreement.
Speaker 2: In agreement, but also a bit like we needed more context. In more context, I don't know. Between fifteen to twenty people, is it five bucks per head or is it fifty dollars per yere?
Speaker 4: I don't know. She's a person. A professional clean would run you between one hundred and fifty and three hundred dollars, I would say for an average like carpet clean, depending on the space.
Speaker 2: It would be such a good star hustle.
Speaker 4: It would be a really good side hustle. There, you got one away for later the person who read it earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Junior, so cleanup after your party for three hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: Absolutely money win.
Speaker 2: All right, that is me. I am done. I'm going to spend the weekend planning my new side hustles. Guys, we hope you have the best weekend ever and we'll see you for a money diary on Monday.
Speaker 5: Bye guys.
Speaker 2: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 9: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 9: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Shoper Pty Ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine