Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money the podcast Millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, it's no surprise it is Friday again, which means it is time to get my little team together and celebrate you our incredible She's on the Money community today. Miss just gotta each sheet. You've got a few money wins to share, which you're a bit excited about. Beck has some very good broke tips and I have an addition to the broke tips which Beck saw me in the hallway earlier because we started recording and she said, that's a broke tip for the show, and I said, let's do it, no worries. We're going to be helping answer a money dilemma, which this week is all about buying your first home and whether it should be a home for your future or one for your current situation, which I think is really good to discuss. That's a good question.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's a good question.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be good. And then we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about this week, we're talking about a partner who lies about his finances. I love when they're really juicy. Oh is that bad that I'm literally here for the drummer?
Speaker 4: No, I think we all are to some extent.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing about like, I don't love like gossip. I don't like celebrity gossip. I don't particularly care for it. You know what I love anonymous gossip. Did you hear that one person's boyfriend one time lied about ea swinances tell me, yeah, we just want the tea. Like, I'm here for the gossip. But like anonymous gossip is fine, Like I feel like that's that's kosher, you know.
Speaker 4: Totally weird it's not weird, but you know then that's good of you. I like every bit of gossip anywhere, anytime.
Speaker 2: I just don't want to know stuff about people. I know that's awkward.
Speaker 4: Oh that's better my books.
Speaker 2: But I just want it to be completely anonymous, Like slide into my dms, tell me about your cheating partner that happened five years ago. And I can't determine who it was or where it was, sure, but I want the juicy goss, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: It's like reading Reddit threads, like I don't know you, but I live vicariously through you. Yes, Like I don't want any drama in my life, but I want you to have drama so I can read it. That's terrible of me. Anyway, Let's move on. I want to know how have your weeks been, Miss jesse garci H. It's been good.
Speaker 5: It's been Christmas week in our house. I've been decorating, loving my lind Or. It's November and somebody who replied to what to buy tiktoks and said, bitch, it's November, and I was like, did I stutter? Halloween's done? That means it's officially Christmas exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: I stutter. I love this version of you.
Speaker 2: I like the SaaS. I appreciate it. I went Pottery Bun on the weekend because Jess, what's at pottery Bun gingerbread mugs and also gingerbread men and women shaped cushions, and so I bought obviously all of the above course, and I was talking to the girl at checkout and I was like, ha ha haa so early, like I'm buying this in November. I can't believe it. And she was like, oh, this is actually our second drop of Christmas stark, and we've nearly sold out, like I got I think there were four maybe cushions left, and I bought two of them, and she's like, we're not getting any more. So she's like, I think it's fair to say that Christmas is now officially starting in November, and I said she didn't know who this was. I was like, oh, Jess is gonna love this, and she was like, yeah, cool, stud total comes to you. That's really good. How's your week being back?
Speaker 4: Really really chill nice. The weather's been kind of lovely, not like every day of the week, but I would say if it's more than fifty percent lovely. It's a good week. Classic Melbourne. Hey, classic Melbourne. Yeah, I'm just just my buckets are full, you know. I've been seeing people and going out and sometimes going to the gym and just yeah, just overall, really really nice week.
Speaker 2: Just live in your best life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, live in my best What about you?
Speaker 2: I like it? Nothing too interesting, just being pregnant. Really, I feel like I've now gotten to that stage where I am, what twenty five ish weeks pregnant now, and I just feel like everything's a little bit harder, everything's a little bit more sluggish. I definitely have less lung capacity. I always used to be like, I'm gonna be one of those fit pregnant women you are. I haven't been to pilates once since since getting pregnant.
Speaker 5: Okay, I have seen you power walk through the airport, and as a non pregnant person, I struggled to keep up.
Speaker 2: Going For me, and you know what, like the only flex I have, and this will come up in our broke Tips is I'm still wearing the jeans that I was wearing pre pregnancy. But also like it just makes me feel a little bit better about myself. So this morning I popped on my jeans and I was like, life's not that bad. Like I might feel a bit roly poly, but if I can fit in these, I'm doing all right.
Speaker 4: It's not too bad, not too bad. And that is we'll get to why that's the funniest thing personally I've ever heard, because it was really funny. It takes for you to fit into those jeans now.
Speaker 2: And so I'm some ninja stuff, some ninja stuff, But let's jump into money wins and confessions.
Speaker 5: This week.
Speaker 2: There has been some really fun money wins in our community. I've again been in the messages before Jess could get to them to round up her favorites. But Jess, I want to know what have you singled out to share on the pod this week.
Speaker 5: My first money in this week comes from Holly, who said I finally faced my demons aka the incredibly lovely gym staff and went to cancel my membership.
Speaker 2: Oh that's scary.
Speaker 5: And then I bought a season ticket for the pool. It's so much cheaper than the gym, even when I look at the you know, with the weekly, monthly whatever breakdown, and I love swimming so much more so it's definitely going to be worth it for me. I've already been swimming two days in a row. Money win, mental health win, and happiness win.
Speaker 2: That's actually really cute, too, really sweet.
Speaker 5: It made me think of the time that you made me call your gym to cancel because you were too scared.
Speaker 2: I just don't tell the entire world that I did that.
Speaker 1: But I.
Speaker 6: Don't know why.
Speaker 5: Don't blame you.
Speaker 2: It is scared every time I letting them down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, hey, I'm never going to go to the gym ever again, so can I please cancel this. It's like a bit of a I.
Speaker 2: Couldn't do it, and then Jes did it. And then it was a bit awkward because then the girl was like, oh, you don't sound like Victoria's I was like, of course, you know she's on the money list. Now this is so awkward anyway, hilarious. It all came out in the wash that it was actually just canceling. She didn't know before she will know how absolutely, Jim, Bye, What else have you got for us?
Speaker 5: Jess? Next, I've got to win from Mahalia who said I needed to finish an entire house and my budget was tiny. I hundred our Marketplace. All weekend, I did some driving and I got two beds, two mattresses, a washing machine, and a fridge for three hundred bucks, all in great condition. Love Marketplace.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, that's genius.
Speaker 5: That is very impressive.
Speaker 2: That's very very cool.
Speaker 5: This next one I have comes from a Leasha, and I feel like it's very timely given I just paid two dollars twenty for petrol, she said. I used the seven eleven app to lock in the cheapest fuel price. For half a tank of fuel. It would have cost me a little over one hundred bucks, but it ended up being just over eighty instead.
Speaker 4: Oh cool.
Speaker 2: You know people have started sending me screenshots of their seven to eleven lock and Sam app and they're like, save seventeen dollars this week because of you saved twenty eight dollars. And I'm like, that's actually a lot of money.
Speaker 5: Well, imagine every time you fill up your car, if you say fifteen to twenty bucks, that's a lot over the course of like a couple of months.
Speaker 2: She's seven eleven. Well, I do have really good donuts, you do really good slurpees, and you also save us money on fuel. County.
Speaker 5: Love the Van. I have another car win from Carla, who says I'm about to pay off my car loan two years ahead of schedule.
Speaker 2: Two right now, right now, right now.
Speaker 5: Money loss, but a money win in terms of interest saved and being able to refinance next year. Unfortunately it's a necessity because I don't live anywhere with public transport or accessibility. I'm paying it off after just four months of aggressive saving and working hard.
Speaker 4: Ooh, this is incredible.
Speaker 2: That is incredible. Hi Carla, if you'd like to come on the shelves and money Darrist, we actually need to know how you did that. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Crazy but loved it. She took a loan and she was just like, I can do faster. I love that and she did cool.
Speaker 2: What a genius I know.
Speaker 5: And I have one more that I feel like a lot of people really enjoy it from our friend Shannon, who said, I discovered Spotify includes audio books, so I'm going to cancel my Audible subscription. I new Spotify instead.
Speaker 2: Hundreds of thousands of books that you can listen to for free. Like not for free, you have to have the subscription. But I feel like these days most people are paying for Spotify. Yeah, I agree through Spotify. They're just included.
Speaker 5: Ah and if you are happening to listen on your Spotify app to and you'll give a recommendation of a book, May I suggest three Beautiful pastor Colory Ones, Oh, She's on the Money, Property with She's on the Money, and investing with She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: I Love.
Speaker 5: They're all available through Spotify, All available through Spotify, all narrated by our very own VD.
Speaker 2: I did that, I did that?
Speaker 4: You sure did that is really cool?
Speaker 2: How long did that take you? Oh? Honestly weeks. It's actually crazy narrating a book because they make you read it out and it's nothing like podcasting. Yeh. So I went in blindly. I was like, I'm gonna be so good at this. I'm fine in front of a microphone these days. Obviously that took training. However, it is nothing like sitting in front of the podcasting mic because if you mess up while you're saying a sentence, they're like, oh, yep, could you just take that from the top. You have to take it from the top. And if you're reading your book and you like have an intonation that, they're like, oh, you were meant to say a instead of that like okay, no worries, like does it really matter? Yeah, it really matters. They make her go back and do it again. And then sometimes when you're reading your own book, you're like, why did I say that? Yeah? That was stupid. I've got a better example, like why didn't I put this? And it's kind of it's like when you finally read out your work aloud, like I cannot tell you how many times I have read my own books, just like fact checking and proofreading, and my publisher has gone through it, and unfortunately, poor Jessicricci has had to go through them so many times because I'm like, can you just check? Like I just I'm so anxious about these things, right, So the entire team has gone through it. It comes out the other side we're like amazing, manuscripts done, dusted, go into recording, and I'm like, this is the worst book I've ever read, so bad.
Speaker 5: But they got some money in for someone who's been wunning even the new books on there. Probably the sharesing the money.
Speaker 2: That's three books.
Speaker 4: Ye true?
Speaker 2: That technical, I mean technically incorrect, but like I have a Spotify membership, I could get my own book for free.
Speaker 4: May as well.
Speaker 2: I can learn so much. All right, let's move in because that's a pretty good broke tip. Actually, free books is a good broke tip. But what have you got to bring to the table this week?
Speaker 6: Beck?
Speaker 4: Okay? So as Per, I have two community tips and one of my own. Start off with one from Bronnie, who says, Hi, Beck, I've got a brog tip for the podcast. So cutting the top off of delivery boxes so you can use them as storage cubes. She's recently moved house and wanted to buy little storage cubes of my Kia, but have found that using boxes of their mail deliveries works just as well to store little nick knacks and bathroom items, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So smart, it makes you feel so much more organized.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I'm genuinely actually going to do this.
Speaker 2: It's a pippy bit on boxes annoy me. So if you're telling me, just cut them off, cut them off and now the box has another use.
Speaker 4: And then when it comes to moving, if you move again, I would go and like go to Buddings whatever, try and buy or office works. You can buy those boxes. You don't have to do that because you've got these boxes here. I know they don't have tops anymore. We can about it.
Speaker 2: We don't need it. We just need something to transport our stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just need vessels.
Speaker 2: That's very reduced reuse. Recycle.
Speaker 4: I love I love it, recycle.
Speaker 2: What else have you got?
Speaker 4: The next one comes from Debbie, who says that throughout the year, this is kind of similar to what our producer indeed in the family does as well. So she tries to stock up on like you know, like let's say you go to woll Ways and the Rafaelo's or the parro Shares like on special, just like buy like chocolate boxes, boxes of chocolates, like throughout the year when they're on special. So end of year when it comes to Christmas time and you're like, you've got to buy like little things for I don't know, colleagues and.
Speaker 2: The random present if forgot to pick up before going to someone's house.
Speaker 4: So exactly exactly, parents, et cetera. You have all a little gift cupboard with boxes of chocolates, maybe other little knickknacks if you have capacity, if you want to. And then that way, when it comes to Christmas time, you're not completely overloaded with the things that seem small, but like ten doll boxes of chocolates for everyone. You know, that's a lot of money. Yeah, it adds up a lot.
Speaker 2: But also I love that idea in theory. Fantastic money win. You put a box of Rafaelo's in my house and tell me they're there. You want them to stay there, don't tell me they're they're true, like you just would at work.
Speaker 6: That's true.
Speaker 5: You never buy those chocolates for yourself. Like Ferrero's are my favorite chocolate, but there's this mental block for me. You get them as a gift. Oh my, I can't go to CS and buy myself a box of Ferrero's like someone's gonna give them tree for like Valentine's Day or my birthday or whatever.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, you can't buy that chocolate for yourself.
Speaker 4: I had never thought about that before. Imagine you would never buy yourself like one of the movies is like you get like the Little even though you don't really want them to yet the m and ms. You'd rather have packet of Ferrero share box of that. But it costs the same, right, Yeah, like cost roughly the same.
Speaker 2: You know, that's so funny.
Speaker 4: I never thought about that before. It's so true.
Speaker 5: Though, and so I feel like people go, oh, I feel like it's impersonal. No, I want the box of chop yeah, give me the chocolate always on chocolates.
Speaker 2: I want to do a thread in our Facebook group of stuff you would never buy for yourself, so like we're not talking about like obviously, I would never buy myself an Ermez handbag because it's thirty thousand dollars. Like, no, that's unrelatable, but like I'm the same as you, ess I would never buy like fancy boxed chocolates for myself.
Speaker 4: It is a gift.
Speaker 2: Yes, what else exists?
Speaker 5: We need to know you hate spending money on that you would love, like an Uber gift card. No one likes paying for ubers. But if you have a gift card, he eats.
Speaker 2: Gift cards cards like I know that.
Speaker 5: I think there's a bit of a stigma or pressure sometimes to be super creative and like as a gift giver, like it's one of my love languages. Yes, I completely agree. It is really fun and exciting finding the perfect present, but sometimes you know what a basket with like some Laudry detergent and some dishwasher tablets.
Speaker 2: In this economy, in this economy thrilled. That's true.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: One of my go to housewarming gifts is like a nice basket that can be used as like a pot or something. And then I buy a fancy dried pasta because like, you're not gonna buy the fancy dry pasta yourself, are you?
Speaker 5: Yad?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Like I am getting Cole's or Wooly's brand pasta. End of story. That's how it's gonna work. So fancy dried pasta, and then like a pre made pasta sauce, the fancy one that you wouldn't buy, I buy the regular Etto brand two yours fifty a jar. Don't think it's ever increased before. It's always on the bottom shelf because no one buys it. It's obviously not like the important one, but it works for me. Ten out of ten will not buy anything else. Don't put that in my basket, though, I'm buying when you like the nine dollars jar of pasta sauce. And then like a brick of like parmesan or something nice. Great housewarming gift, but I just made you dinner, YEA true genius? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I love that. What's your tip?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: So my broke tip for this week. And this is something I completely forgot about until the other day because obviously it is end of pay cycle, so.
Speaker 2: You know you just got too much month left at the end of your money.
Speaker 4: Exactly, yeah, exactly. So the other day I made dinner and I made deb mashed potato.
Speaker 6: So what this is?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: You know that powdered mashed potato?
Speaker 5: Okay, no I did. I was like, what is it? Dev mashed potato?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's like awdao in the canned section.
Speaker 4: Anyway, So this is two dollars and ten cents. You can feed your whole family with this. You just literally need did make with it?
Speaker 2: Did you just make a bowl of mashed potato and go bond apple teeth because it's filling?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I did put some baby peas in there, which is like, let's not worry about that because you put in potato and called that a meal.
Speaker 3: Beck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes you.
Speaker 4: Gotta do what.
Speaker 5: You gotta double and squeak.
Speaker 2: It's bubble and squeak exactly.
Speaker 5: It's just a little bit want.
Speaker 4: But I have found that with any kind of like let's say rice, I used to like really get in there and wash it. And like make it all fluffy. But if I just like add heaps of water and it's like the volume of it is just so it's like sticky rice. It's like really sludgy whatever doesn't matter, but it's so much more filling. Same with like dead mashed potato. Selling me on the sludge anything that no, but it's actually is delicious. I am really good at one thing in this life, and it is cooking rice. Well in my family known for being able to pull off really good rice, which and ask me how I'll do it, because.
Speaker 2: Apparently on TikTok it's really political how you cook rice. But I've got it down. It's like it's fluffy. If you give me gluggy rice, I'm going home back. But and this is a thing that most of the past cycle, I'm having fluffy rice. At the end of the paste cycle, I'm just trying to fill myself up. Yeah, I'm making gluggy rice. I'm making dead mashed potato.
Speaker 4: Anyway, So my broke tip for this week is buy dead mashed potato instead of regular potato because it tastes just as good it is powdered potato. Two ten cents will feed nearly a whole family. I would say, all you need is hot water.
Speaker 5: That is literally all you need, and then if you want to be fancy, you can put like some butter or some garlic totally. You know, if you have like a rosemary, bushes grow like crazy, So if you know a neighbor or if there's none, you'll park. I feel like a bit of rosemary and the mashed potatoes would be deleted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've already told you guys that you absolutely should be like liberating is what we call it, Jess, like we do herbs that you see in people's like front gardens. Yeah, it's reachable from the street. It is free game.
Speaker 5: Agreed. They're probably happy for the free gardening service.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree. The other thing I would say to upgrade that beck is while you are, you know, at the start of the month where you have a little bit more cash, add one of those just Coal's brand tins of gravy to your like, to your mix. I think they're like two dollars and ten cents ish for the Coals brand one. I don't think there's a difference between brands, like they they're all the same, because then you could just have some gravy over the top of your mashed potato. And that's elite.
Speaker 4: That is a potato and gravy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's so cheap. It's like two dollars a tin. Yeah, but like the tin, you just need a tea spoon of it to make the amount of gravy that you'd need. So that's gonna last ages.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: That's such a good idea. Thank you for snack.
Speaker 2: Do you want to get mashed potato after this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It's day KFC. Oh, I've never had anyone who's that organically before. That was amazing. That was amazing. We have tip, good broad tip. So I guess the if you don't mind, Oh yeah, I think. I mean, I've never been pregnant, but I assume that maybe part of pregnancy is, you know, maybe having to buy like maternity clothes and.
Speaker 5: Things like that.
Speaker 2: You can't stop, won't stop not happening.
Speaker 4: You have found a workaround.
Speaker 2: I feel like if you've been pregnant before, you're gonna be like v This is not a tip.
Speaker 4: This is desperation hanging on by thread literally right.
Speaker 2: Literally, so my genes I can still get them on. As I said before, I don't think that's gonna last that much longer, if we're being honest. But I just I can't justify all this pregnancy stuff, Like I keep being like, what, like I have bought some singlets. So I've bought these maternity singlets. They have the like little breast feeding clips on them, not that they need them now, but I bought them because they're longer, and so I bought them, just like Cheapi's from H and M. Spending money on this. Like, I cannot tell you how annoying pregnancy stuff is to me, because I'm like, I'm gonna wear it for less than nine months, Like you're pregnant for what nearly ten months, and you're telling me that for maybe, like you know, at twelve weeks pregnant, you can probably fit in most of your clothes. Obviously first pregnancy, everyone's different all of that. But like I was fitting in my normal clothes at twelve weeks and maybe all the way up to like twenty weeks, eighteen twenty weeks, I could still like squeeze into a lot of things. I'm now like twenty five weeks. The jeans have almost been sacrificed. I can't do them up at all, but coming in clutch is a hair tie. I have tied it around the belt loop and then flipped it over the little metal bit. And we're calling that done up jeans with my H and M Singlet I just pull that down a little bit lower, chuck on a jumper i'd usually wear and call it a day. That is my maternity outfit.
Speaker 4: It looks very funny. It does look like it's almost about snap. Can we put a photo, Yeah, we'll check.
Speaker 2: A photo after it on Instagram. Look, it's not good. It's not something I'm do you know what. Actually it is something. I'm proud of.
Speaker 4: Your work.
Speaker 2: I'm not buying new Jeanes. No, I need to happening. It's just not happening one out of ten anyway.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Move on from broke tips. Okay, let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's go to a really quick break. And on the flip side, we're answering a money dilemma, which this week is all about buying your first home and whether it should be a home for your future or a home for your current situation. And then we get to unpack something you slid into our DMS about this week, we're talking about a partner who lies about their finances, So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a quick listen to this week's money dilemma, shall we hi?
Speaker 2: There? Have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our webs and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hey, girls, my partner and I are hopefully going to buy a property for the first time next year to live in. But my main dilemma is that he thinks that we should be buying a three bedroom place whatever. Basically that's going to set and forget we're going to live there forever. But the problem is we we know we can't afford that. We're not in the market to do that. We both earn over one hundred thousand dollars a year each, but for us to buy basically our dream home, we would have to live so far out of the city, but also any government incentives we're not eligible for. So I need some help. What should we be doing for the first home and would we be able to sell after a few years and buy something else.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is it's honestly a really good question, you said before when I told you at the start of the episode, Jess, I was like, Oh, this is what our money dilimma is going to be about. And you're like, Oh, that's a good question. Why to you is that a good question?
Speaker 5: I just I think a lot of the time you just go a home is a home, right, Like I think when you're thinking about buying a home, sometimes you just get caught up in the idea of it and you don't necessarily think as in depth about the logistics of what your future in the home looks like. Because, as our listener has outlined, you know, you could kind of just buy the cheapest home you can get. Maybe it's not in the best area, maybe it's a bit run down, maybe there's you know this, that or the other, because you can afford it and it's well within your means, and you know at some point you will move on from that, and it's just what you can do that's easily reachable, or you can go, oh, well, I want the biggest, the best, I want all of the nice finishes. I want the brand new house. I want to be in the best area with the best street, with the best neighborhood and the best school and all of those things that kind of bump your price up and up and up and up and up. Yeah, And I mean both of those are very viable options. Like I don't think them as any right option for anybody, but I just think it's a good question to be thinking about, what does my future, Like how long am I going to stay here? Because if you only plan on being there for a year or two, maybe you do just go the kind of more affordable option and you go, oh, I can live with whatever for a couple of years, save a bit more aggressively, and then move to something better later on.
Speaker 4: Obviously I'm probably not the best of person to speak on this, but I would think that maybe is there like if you buy now, even if it's like not your ideal suburb or location or even the house is an ideal, just buying that, surely the price will go up in a few years. Maybe you make some money there, Like I feel like it's maybe not like this isn't the right term, but like quick and easy way to kind of get like equities at what it's called, yeah, and then buying somewhere else more ideal in the future. But if you have that, if you start there, then like you're not I think right now, if you're like you're paying rent, you're paying someone else's mortgage. And then if you have the ability to pay your own mortgage in a place it's not ideal for you, you're still kind of it feels like you're still saving money. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it totally makes sense. And this is well timed because obviously I released property with She's on the Money this year, and in that book I talk a lot about how your dream home is the home you can afford, because I think that given the property market has changed so dramatically in the last fifty years. So for example, if I take you back to nineteen seventy five, the average Australian property cost five four or five times the annual salary. Today that costs between thirteen and fifteen times your annual salary, and you might go, oh, vib but what about inflation? Everything changes If your salary growth had kept up, or if salary growth in general had kept up, the average salary for every Australian today would be one hundred and sixty two thousand dollars. So wage growth has not kept up with property growth, because if wage growth was that, it'd be one hundred and sixty two thousand dollars, but it's not. The average salary here in Australia today is sixty five thousand dollars. So we are at a significant disadvantage when it comes to getting into the property market. Irrespective of interest rates, irrespective of what the bank is going to charge you, or how easy it is to access alone, it's just harder today. Often we try to blame you know, irresponsible millennials or going up for branch or you know, millennials these days prioritize their lifestyles more like to me, that's not the case, because life is genuinely harder. So when we look at property, we can't have this white picket fence dream that we historically had because you know, if my parents were able to walk into a property like that, that doesn't necessarily mean I can. But I think we always look to history and go, oh, they were able to do it, why can't I do it? Well, Actually, the world has changed. So to me, your dream home is the property that you can afford, not necessarily the property that you want. And what this listener has written in and said to me is that property. So, like we could go further out, that property is actually not in the location that is your dream location. So therefore it's not your dream property because you're having to make significant compromise. I would say to get into what would be, you know, a three bedroom house as opposed to a starter property. And I obviously am in the property game always. I own Zella Money, which is a mortgage broking firm, and we see people getting into their first homes literally every day. It's my favorite thing in the entire world. But often we're talking to clients about, well, what compromises are you making, what is your long term strategy on this property? And if you're not sure about what that looks like, you need to do more research. So i'd sit you down. And I've said this to Jess before, because obviously Jess wants to buy a house. I would say desperately at this point. I mean, it's a bit on ice at the moment because like, the world is in a bit of a shamble. But I'm always like, Jess, can you please look at this property? I know because Jess wants to buy her family home right, Like, it's no secret she has this ideal of what you want to buy. And that's fine because her dream location is going to allow that and that will work. So it's not like Jess actually has rocks in her head. So that's okay. But every time I'm like, you don't know how your circumstances can change before you buy any house. Can you please look at it pragmatically and go what would it resell for? Yes, it might be your perfect home, but like, what would it mean if everything went south and you needed to sell? Like could we just sell it for what we bought it for and call it an even break? Great, no worries? What does rental yield in that area actually look like? And you might go, v why am I bothering? I don't have any intention of renting it out. Do you know how many people I talk to that are like, oh, we're renting out this property? We never thought we would just understand the numbers, understand what you're getting yourself into and understand the compromise you're making, because going for a more expensive property, you might go, well, V, I now have my dream home. Fantastic at what compromise? So has your lifestyle changed? Do you now you know, significantly further out from your friends and family and that's now getting in the way of your social life, Like what does the rest of your life look like? Because I feel like when we go into the property journey, it's so tunnel visioned, like you're just like far out. I finally have the deposit. You know, I've talked to my Zella Money mortgage broker, and I'm so excited. They said, I can be serviced up to this amount. But you might not have thought about what life looks like once you have that mortgage repayment coming out of your account, Like, once you're in the house, what does life look like? How does that work? Because I guess reflecting even on my own personal journey. You guys know that during COVID, my husband Steve or he was my boyfriend at the time, we bought a house together and I remember buying that and saying to Steve, this would be so good because it has more than three bedrooms, Like it's a four bedroom house, and I remember saying, this will be great because we can be here for ten fifteen years, And that was what two and a half three years ago, and we're already like, great, we want to move. We want to change our situation, like this was our dream property, and now our financial situation has changed enough to enable us to kind of step up into that next level of property. But I'm looking at it going at what point would I do that? And obviously I'll share the journey if we decide to do that, but I'm not there yet. But now we're having a baby, we'd like to be closer to parks, so we'd like to be in this different location or you know, closer to family or whatever we're talking about. That was not on our radar when we purchased the first time. And I would say the first time I purchased, I was really smart about it. I did know rental yield, I did know all of those things. But in my head we were going to stay in that property for ten plus years. And now I look at it and go, all right, well, I've actually renovated it. It's looking pretty good. We haven't got a very good looking front yard, ask Jess, she's Senna, it's heinous. It's about to change, don't worry. Yes, I signed a contract with a beautiful landscaper, and I go, this could actually sail quite nicely if we decided to, you know, dispose of this and change our situation. Whereas if you'd told me when I purchased the property, heyv so after three years you're probably going to want to, you know, change, I'd be like, absolutely not, you're joking. This is my dream home.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think that is a good example of I was so set, and I feel like we all get like this because buying your property is going to be one of the biggest financial expenses of your entire life, will probably be the number one. But what would it look like to pivot? What if life changes? You know, I'm not going to get dramatic about your relationship ending, but like, that's something we need to take into consideration as well. But what if in five years you've built up enough equity back to go into your next property and rent this one out. Is that an opportunity Because that's a wealth creation strategy that you might not have thought about. You might go, wow, I never thought that i'd own a property that I could rent out, leverage myself off that one and into my next property. So that's where I think it's important to have a really good conversation with a mortgage broker, because you can't do that yourself. Like ask Jess, I bullied her for the longest time, I said, sit down with a good mortgage broker. Did you Eventually it was good? Now you have Do you feel like you have that clarity?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, it's really handy, something that you can just lean on and be like, hey, like what does this look like if I my income changes by this, or if rates have changed by that, Like what impact does that have on my borrowing capacity? And what will that mean for the properties that I can or can't afford?
Speaker 2: Exactly? And a mortgage broker does this day in day out, Like use them as a really good, I guess sense check resource because go, all right, well, actually is this a good idea? I promise your mortgage broker will be like, look, it's your choice, but like you know, we've had a couple of clients go down this route instead, or we've had a couple of clients do this, or actually that area seems really popular. So I would have a chat with a mortgage broker sooner rather than later. To the person who has written in this money dilemma, but if you're thinking about buying and you're not entirely sure, just go sit down with a mortgage broker before you're ready and actually go, well, what does this look like? How does this work?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: How much more deposit can I save? I know our money dilemma, righte arenera Jess actually said, oh, we actually have a combined income of more than two hundred thousand dollars sligh like big flex. But also they said, oh, none of the government grants apply to me. Some of them still would have you actually had someone look into that to make sure that you're dotting all your eyes and crossing all your tea's, because sometimes different circumstances can change so that you might be able to access different grants that you might not have even heard of. So to me get a really good mortgage broker on your side, I'm obviously incredibly biased and think that you should just work with us because I've got your best interests at heart. So we'll chuck all of the details to get in contact with Zella Money. In the show notes, today. But honestly, just talk to someone who can help you get through this so that you and your partner are on the same page, because you do not want to be on different pages when making the biggest financial decision of your life.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I have two different friends, for what it's worth, two different friends who purchase properties at the top of what they were able to with their partners, and they are both looking at downsizing this year. Really yeah, just because they felt like their lifestyle compromise, Like they can't go on holidays, they have much less fun money, if you want to call it that, And so for them, they're like, oh, maybe having the big Nights house isn't worth as much to us as being able to live our lives in the way that we want her Like, you both obviously have valid thoughts and feelings, but maybe have a look and talk to your partner about, well, okay, if we do take out the much bigger property, that it's going to chew up a lot more abou our income. Like what are we going to have to give up to do that? Because do we want to spend five years without ever going on a holiday or do we want to spend you know, a couple of years really scrimping and saving rather than just being able to enjoy this new space.
Speaker 2: It's so true. It is so true. And I feel like often people go yeah, yeah, victoria or whatever or whatever, but that's the reality of the circumstances. Like unfortunately, guys, money is not endless.
Speaker 5: And rates are going up.
Speaker 2: So if money was endless, I wouldn't have a job. So yeah, So anyway, moving on, we received a DM this week, guys, a little bit spicy, as I said, kind of like the drama. Would you like to hear it?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Girls, I need your help. I've been with my partner for around the year now and we keep our finances separate as we don't live together. Plus there is a big difference in what we earn. He makes more than double what I do. Now here's where things get tricky. Despite him making so much, he always tells me how broke he is and he's stressed out, always about money. Of course, I believed him when he told me this in the past, so I often just started paying for dinners, or I'd pay for the weekends away or even transfer him funds to cover his daily costs to reduce his stress. I'm really good with savings, so it doesn't bother me too much because I just want us to be able to do these things together and I see us being together for a long time. However, I just found out he bought himself a really expensive watch, and he lied to me and told me it costs way way less than what it actually cost. If he can afford that, he doesn't need money off me, and I feel totally used. I haven't confronted him yet, so I would love to know from you girls how you would handle this.
Speaker 5: There's a lot going on, ye that is.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't want to be that person, but this feels really easy for me. You must leave and take the watch with you if you can. But I just think this is multi layer. Like if you was like I want to buy myself this watch, I'm lying about how much it costs because it's like I'm kind of embarrassed about, like how much is spent on this, but like that on its own, maybe sure, maybe, but actively taking money from her in the process because you are crying broke all the time, which is very valid if you're in a relationship and you're like like if Jess and I were together and I was like I really can't afford this, like, and Jess stepped up and said, look, I would really like to give you some cash for that.
Speaker 2: Like that's a two way relationship, Like that's okay, And I think we need to make sure that we're not crucifying that circumstance because for some people that's fine. But the complexity gets added when I earn double wat Jess eons. But I'm still borrowing from Jess. But then also what out here living a lot lifestyle, buying a watch that Jess could never afford.
Speaker 4: What's the borrowing for me?
Speaker 5: Because like I have definitely been guilty, Like I have said to my partner, I'm so broken. We've said before, I out earned my partner relatively significantly.
Speaker 2: Oh she's a big dog. Well he's no, no, no, no, no, no, I just own it, Jess Entry dog.
Speaker 5: He's on his way up. But you know what I mean, Like I'm the high income owner. And I have definitely said before, like there's been nights where he's been like should we do takeout? And I've been like, oh nah, like I'm too broke. It's the end of the month, pay week, whatever. But I think that is very different for me. That's about setting a boundary. Because when I say I'm broke, I mean I've put fifty five percent of my income's gone to my house deposit. I've paid all my bills, my rents covered.
Speaker 2: It must be nice.
Speaker 5: I've just emptied my fund for takeout for the month. Yes, is kind of so. I also think like the wording in the circumstance can still be used. But I think it's one thing to say, oh, I've exhausted my allocation for that money. I don't want to spend anything on takeaway or on a weekend away or whatever. It's a very different thing to say, oh, I'll take your money to do it because I've spent all of my extra money poorly, or I've allocated all my money to something else that's important to me. Yes, to me, that feels different.
Speaker 2: That feels very wrong. That does feel It.
Speaker 5: Does feel a little bit like they're taking advantage. If your partner, who earns half of what you earn is able to pay for these things, where is the money going? And I guess priorities come into it, like if like using the takeout example, sometimes my partners like I just don't want to cook, I can't be bothered. I want to get take out, and I'll say I don't want to spend the money, like it's not my priority this week whatever, and I'll go, I'll cook dinner for you. Perfect compromise. Yes, But like in this situation, it doesn't sound like it's a matter of priorities. It sounds like he's just saying, Oh, I don't want it, babe, can you get it?
Speaker 2: Mickey?
Speaker 5: It feels it.
Speaker 4: Does feel very much like she's being taken advantage of a.
Speaker 2: If you're crying broken, then you can afford an expensive what and.
Speaker 5: Then you have to put the watch on top. I didn't even get to the worst your.
Speaker 4: Watch on top? And like, of course, like sometimes maybe this is my thing. Is like maybe he was because he was saving up for the watch, which is also like.
Speaker 2: Totally, but that does not mean that your partner pays for your life. You're saving for a discretionary items, Like we're not talking like, oh and he went out and spent money on his Red Joe. Yeah, like I'm so salty or.
Speaker 4: Saving for a house or something.
Speaker 2: No, no, not even the house savings. Your partner should not be And like this is me being relatively aggressive. Your partner should not be funding your lifestyle so that you can save to get yourself ahead financially. It is compromised. Yeah, Like as Jess was saying, she's like, I save for my house and I said no to take out. I mean it's up to her partner James then to go. Well, Jess, it wasn't really a question. I really really really want takeout or pay for different situations than Jess being like, oh, I'm so broke, Like yeah, I really want that. You've got to pay for it. That's guilt tripping. Yeah, that's not okay.
Speaker 5: It's like takeout is a relatively small expense in the scheme, but good as talking about weekends away, which are weekends away? Like I think with the takeout that you can go oh if one partner is feeling it. One partners not like okay, so one pays fifty bucks for take up for the night. Very nice treat you love your partner, you want to.
Speaker 2: Treat My husband has done that a number of times.
Speaker 5: To be right.
Speaker 2: He'll be like, do you want to get Uber Eats? And I'll be like no, no, no, We've got heaps of like molly spoons in the fridge. Absolutely not, and he was like, it's not really a question like I'm craving peak.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's here to me. It's a more nominal expense a whole weekend away though. If she's paying for two people, you're looking at upwards of five hundred dollars and that's not a small amount at a minimum. Yeah, and that's if you're doing like a very like affordable cost expensive. Yeah, everything's sensive right now. Like that is not a small expense for someone to take on. And I know that I would feel very guilty if my partner was doing.
Speaker 4: That, but I couldn't totally.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Again, it's not as if one person saying I really want to prioritize travel and the other partner goes, I don't really care about traveling, and you go, oh, well what if I covered it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's im ME want you to be there and this is an experience that I want us to share. And yeah, different again.
Speaker 5: I feel like there are so many avenues that I could be more flexible on. But from what our listener has said, I go, it really just feels to me like he's taking advantage of you, and I don't like that at all.
Speaker 2: The added layer that we've forgotten, like we've remembered the watch Chess. But he lied about the watch.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Actually he lied about the cost. He said it wasn't it was much much, much less than what it actually.
Speaker 5: Costs, which I feel like is not embarrassment in this case.
Speaker 2: It feels he knows what he's doing. He's taking advantage.
Speaker 4: And this is very telling of other things when someone like it's kind of like a symptom of something bigger, like lying about the watch, or using your partner's money to not using but like, if your partner's paying for something you can probably afford to chip in, maybe you're not doing that. It's symptomatic of a bigger issue, which is maybe you're a bit manipulative, maybe all these other things.
Speaker 2: Like it could be really blatantly disrespectful, yeah, and I mean it could be harmless.
Speaker 4: It could be like, oh, they actually couldn't afford XYZ for whatever reason, but.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean you need a Rolex.
Speaker 4: Might also be something really sinister, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't like it at all. What did everybody else have to say?
Speaker 2: We obviously took this to the community, as we always do, so Here are some of the responses. This one blew up. We got hundred truths over Flieres. First person said, demand a payback of at least what the watch costs as you walk out the door. Catch up. Yes, someone said, just stop giving him money and are you willing to deal with this situation forever? Yeah, run for the hills. It's a big red flag red flag emoji. He is living well above his means hashtag financial manipulation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just I would love to know where his money is going. Yeah, Like, I just, I can't comprehend out earning someone by that much and them having money left over and you not.
Speaker 2: Someone said dump is asked, he's using you for your money, girl. Someone else said this is my favorite one. Think of all of that money that you just spent on him as an investment in finding out that he's a red flag.
Speaker 5: That's so true.
Speaker 2: Some really simple ones that came.
Speaker 1: Up a lot.
Speaker 2: You need to talk to him about this.
Speaker 5: You can't leave it.
Speaker 2: I think is really good. Like we can give advice, we can talk about it and what we would do, but ultimately good relationships are built on really good communication. And if you can't sit down and be like Hey, mate, what's going on with this? I'm feeling really disrespected to me. That's another red flag that the relationship you're in is not a good one. Obviously, lots of people will like immediately break up, immediately leave him. Someone suggested ghost him and let him work out why that's so nasty. Then someone else has said, popcorn emoji eyes emoji. Popcorn emoji eyes emoji. Send him a screenshot of the watch while you're sitting on the couch together with the price tag with no context, and just see how we react.
Speaker 5: Yes, there are some toxic people.
Speaker 2: You guys are psycho well, but lots of people were saying genuinely leave him. I feel like this could turn into quite scary financial abuse quite quickly. Leave him. I was in this situation for multiple years and it doesn't to get better. So I think having these conversations again, it just goes back to communication, like why are you doing this, mate, because it could be a sign of a bigger problem. You don't know, maybe, like being really dramatic, maybe he has a gambling addiction. That's why he never has any money because he's got this issue. Came into a lot of money one time and bought himself a watch, and he just didn't think about the circumstances he's in because he is in the midst of addiction and that needs to be dealt with. So I think approaching it with kindness always, because there is nothing wrong with always being the kinder person in this circumstance, even if you're being screwed over, like you can walk away with your head held high, like no, I always did the right thing. I tried to communicate I was the better person always. I think, to me is the best way to approach it. But yeah, my summary of this is talk to him, because this is a little bit cooked.
Speaker 5: I feel like as well, maybe just for your own reference, going back and having a look at how much money you have given him might be helpful, because I think as well, when you're in a partnership, you often kind of go, oh, it'll all come out in the wash, like you've paid for take out this week, I'll pay for take out next week, or you know, you don't really keep track of things because it's not a game that you need to keep scoring. And I feel like it sounds like potentially she's spent a lot of money or lent a lot of money to her partner, and it might also be just very helpful, firstly for your point of reference to see where that money is going, but also for him, like if there is something bigger going on, maybe he's not keeping up or paying attention to how much you're helping him. And if you say, babe, like over the past six months, I've given you ten thousand dollars or five thousand dollars or.
Speaker 2: Even yeah, and you've gone and spent way more than that on a watch, it just feels really disrespectful. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think maybe even just kind of presenting things like that, if he is blissfully unaware and just has no financial literacy and it's just living his life without really thinking about you, maybe that will kind of make and go, oh my god, like I didn't realize sure that you picking up the tab every so often was putting you out so significantly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really nice way to put it as well. All Right, Well, unfortunately, guys, I think that is all we have time for today. Thanks for another great Friday, EF. I'm really excited about this one. Next week, Yes, next week, we'll see you on Until then, have a beautiful weekend and we'll see you bright nearly for our money, Direy love you guys, buy us by. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money shopa pty lt D. A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine