Speaker 1: Are the pickup with Brittley and Laura Ben Brady or what our windows done?
Speaker 2: That's my world reason the dust only good, babs all down.
Speaker 3: I don't much, but yeah I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'll beget and what I want.
Speaker 2: It don't matter where that does. This is the.
Speaker 5: Pick up, Hi, guys, it's the pick up with Brett Hackley and Laura Ben.
Speaker 2: You know, I was just thinking when I listen and singing my head to our opener, what it does matter where you get it? It says it doesn't matter where you get it? It does you get it from the pick up?
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm so glad that after two weeks you've just realized that.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not the first time you've actually listened to him.
Speaker 2: I've thought it since I heard it, but I'm like, just listened again, and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, it does matter.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well maybe you can raise that with management after this, do you know?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: I'm deep in turmoil everyone, I've been split down the middle?
Speaker 3: How have you been splipped? I wish I've been broken in two and that is because my husband.
Speaker 5: Is currently You can't just brush over a joke when I had to, I had to. My husband is currently on I'm a celebrity, get me out of here. But something else now is taking my attention. Married at First Sight has just started and the times overlap, and I need to show support for him, but I also deeply love Married.
Speaker 3: At First Site.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not gonna lie. I watched Married at First Site last night, but voted for Matt without watching, so like I voted for him, but I didn't see the episode, but I watched Matt.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: I appreciate the votes because tonight he's in Tucker Trial, So I'm pretty stoked about that.
Speaker 3: We have a great show.
Speaker 5: For you guys today and someone who's joining us Michelle Mitchell. Now, Michelle Mitchell is a parenting expert, and I have been having a lot of problems with Lola and her starting at a new daycare. This conversation for anyone who has kids going to school or if you're in that sort of like really tricky transition with little kids, I think you're going to get so much out of this chat with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's amazing, isn't she? And you do need a lot of help right now. Thanks, And we're always than one, all right, get the show going to kick it off? It is time for our pick me up song and absolutely classic one more time Daft Punk?
Speaker 3: Do you know when this song came out?
Speaker 2: If it is going to.
Speaker 3: Blow your balls off?
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety nine came out in twenty twenty five years ago.
Speaker 3: I got it and it was pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. I'm amazed.
Speaker 3: Well, your balls can stay intact?
Speaker 2: Oh, so how old aren't we?
Speaker 5: You might have heard that I was speaking about my daughter Lola, who's just started at a new daycare and she is having a truly horrible time transitioning to a new daycare. Not only is she having a hard time, but as a parent, I am having a horrible, horrible time.
Speaker 2: And there's a parent's friend and business partner.
Speaker 5: Well, there's nothing worse as a parent leaving your child somewhere and having them be sad and cry for you.
Speaker 3: And with school coming up very soon, there's going to be a.
Speaker 5: Lot of parents across the country who are going to be dropping their kids off for school in the very first day. And we have Michelle Mitchell with us now. She is a child expert. With had her on the show many times and she's written an incredible book around building resilience in children, And the big question is is this resilience building or is it a time when a parent needs to swoop in and help them?
Speaker 3: Michelle, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 6: Oh thanks for having me, Laura. And it's such a privilege to talk about.
Speaker 1: Your little four year old.
Speaker 6: I mean, aren't they so precious at this age?
Speaker 3: No, she's the best. You almost four county down to a birthday?
Speaker 2: Or Michelle, what do you think? I mean, do you think this is relatively normal to be this excessively upset like all night after and all morning.
Speaker 1: It can be, Okay, it can be, And only Laura can really answer this. So if you'll step into my office, Laura, I have three questions for you. Will you answer these for me?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: I think the first question.
Speaker 1: You want to ask yourself is how big does this feel for you? Because that's normally a mirror of how big that feels for our kids. So if our kids were leaving high school or leaving school or getting married, you know it would pull on our heart strings in exactly the same way. So let's not minimize it because there's three going on four. So how big does it feel for you? Give me a number between one and ten being like I can't cope with this anymore.
Speaker 5: Oh, It's it's funny you say that, Michelle, because when we left, like I think any mum kind of knows, that you become very close with the daycare or the place that your kids are at. And the last day that we had at her old daycare, I was in tears because I didn't I don't want her to change. It was more a decision that Matt had made. And I think potentially she has seen how upset I have gotten over the process, and I probably haven't set her up for being I think we did everything right to start with.
Speaker 3: We were trying to be excited.
Speaker 5: But now as she's getting distressed, I'm getting more distressed about it, and so I think it's just escalating each other.
Speaker 1: So you would be almost better off vocalizing those things like I'm really missing your old daycare teachers right now?
Speaker 6: Are you missing them? Because I think you.
Speaker 1: And your daughter are mirroring some of those feelings. So my next question for you would be in your gut and to the best of your knowledge, is she safe where she is? Does that KINDI have checks and balances in place? And do you think it's a good place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's no, it's a fantastic daycare, like it is a fantastic, fantastic school. I think I'm just so used to the familiarity that even for me, I was like, I hate change. Now she's so little and she has to go through that change herself.
Speaker 2: You do hate change, That's true.
Speaker 1: That's really easy to blame ourself for everything. So we don't want to get too sort of like internally focused with it. And I taught grade one a long time ago, but I'd always say to parents, don't tell your kids that you are going to leave them now or drop them off. You aren't leaving them, You're not dropping them anywhere. You're actually deliberately intentionally transferring them to me. So you say something like your teachers are going to look after you. Now, I'm going to be at work and I'm going to be right here at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: Michelle, The question is like Laura is trying to decide if she's stuck it out for a couple of weeks, now, does she think is it going to change for is she going to ease in eventually or if she stood this upset after this couple of weeks, should Laura be taking her back to the old daycare, you.
Speaker 1: Can introduce some strategies like leave a heart in her pocket strategy. So let me tell you about this one. So when you drop her off, Laura, have a little red love heart piece of paper cut up and give it to her and say to her, sweet, I want you to put this in your pocket. And anytime you feel unsure, or anytime you feel a little bit like you're missing mommy, I want you to put your heart in hand in your pocket, and I want to remember that I'll be thinking of.
Speaker 3: You all day.
Speaker 6: But what that does if it gives your teacher a chance to loop into that. And so your teacher, if she knows your daughter's like.
Speaker 1: Feeling anxious, she can go to her and say, put your heart hand in your pocket. Honey, what's your mommy doing right now? Thinking about you? She's loving me.
Speaker 3: Michelle wonderful. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're going to try the hard thing before we pull her out.
Speaker 3: Law. Yeah, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna have to take over the at home now. Everyone, Laura just quit. Thanks for shoe, Laura quit.
Speaker 5: Like I said, it's something that so many parents go through. I think it's something that hits working parents particularly hard because you don't have an option and the whole you know, like maybe take them in later or pick them up earlier and make the days shorter.
Speaker 3: And it's like great, all that's great in theory.
Speaker 5: But when you have a job that you have to be out that doesn't allow you to do those things, you just feel like you're such a crap parent and you're not doing a good job, and it's it's really hard to navigate.
Speaker 2: You are doing a bloody good job. You are. Hopefully those kids turn out okay a couple of years, we'll find out.
Speaker 5: Well, if anyone wants to get more of Michelle, she's written some incredible books, every Day Resilience Journal, and she sold her one hundred thousand copies worldwide, So go and pick that up.
Speaker 3: This is so cute.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know someone else that's probably going to be crying pretty soon. The Bride's on Maths. It's that time of year again. It has kicked off last night, and I want to talk about one of the couples. What would you do if you got onto a show like that and you were paired with an X Because that has happened. Don't forget to head into chemist's warehouse and say more money every year on your regular medication and discounted prescriptions in every store every day. We're going to be talking about it next. It is that time of year again where you need to strap in and be ready for the d drama.
Speaker 5: I'm not ready for my life to be taken over by Maths.
Speaker 2: Maths has started. It kicked off last night. I watched it, which is shocking because I don't often watch it.
Speaker 5: You don't like it. I'm the one in this duo that's sick for Maths.
Speaker 2: It's true, but I'm glad I did watch it. In an Australian first, they have paired two people that already dated.
Speaker 3: We're going to get a different guy.
Speaker 4: What well, they make a gorgeous looking couple. Put it that way, option, I think you fell in love already.
Speaker 3: She ghosted me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, in an Australian first, Karina and Paul were matched together and the bombshell was dropped that they in fact have already dated. And not only did they date, but Paul completely ghosted it. They went on this amazing date. She thought she killed it. She thought it was going to be like hot property, and then he just never messaged her again until they see each other at the end of an aisle and A'm marrying each other on national television.
Speaker 5: It just seems too coincidental for me, Like, how does this happen?
Speaker 3: And I mean, look, on one hand, the.
Speaker 5: Skeptic in me says that this was completely fabricated and produced. But on the other hand, I was like, how would you find two people who one person has ghosted? Like how would you actually find them to be able to match them together in the first place?
Speaker 2: The producers one hundred percent, I'm sorry, is someone that's a bit of unfortunately a reality TV veteran. The producers one hundred percent knew that they knew each other. Did they know that they dated and ghosted? I'm not convinced, but they knew that they knew each other, they would have done their due diligence in some capacity. Maybe they're following each other on Instagram. Maybe they've got a huge group of mutual friends. Like producers on reality shows, they check that when they decide that you're on or if you're going to be on, they check your followers list. They've crosschecked to see if you're following any of the other contestants. Or if there's any kind of connection.
Speaker 5: But do you think the ghosting was serendipitous like a producer's dream, or do you think that the producers knew that he had ghosted her before the show.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but my spidery senses aren't giving me enough tingles for that yet. But I think it's interesting to see what happens because in real life, would you give somebody else another go if you had gone on a date and they completely ghosted you, blanked, you don't want to speak to you again, then all of a sudden you were marrying them.
Speaker 3: Would you have walked out?
Speaker 2: Or would you have just been like, oh shit, I'm just going to pretend me now.
Speaker 5: Or twenty year old me who liked to date toxic men me back in my twenties. I think I do that I didn marry them with that the altar, but I would have given guys a second chance because I was like, they.
Speaker 3: Can change for me, I can make them better.
Speaker 5: I think it's so unfair for the girl, Like, I haven't seen this, but imagine if you've signed up for this show, obviously you know that it's drama and there's you know, potentially gonna get some Instagram followers and everything else. But you do hope you're gonna get paired with a decent bloke. You'd be pretty damn sad that the only person you were paired with was a guy who goes to do so. Now she has no option other than to walk out or to give this guy a second chance.
Speaker 2: The thing here is, though she has agreed to give him a second chance. Good on her because I think, you know, it's not the end of the world.
Speaker 5: She could see the potential in him, Whilst I think it's a red flag.
Speaker 2: He really doubled down on his red flagginess.
Speaker 5: Listen, I'm so grateful that she is open to you to give me a second chance.
Speaker 7: Guy.
Speaker 2: Just feel so relieved. Honestly, I'm over the moon, Like I'm just I'm more egli. I just feel like I feel like a little kid. To be honestly, I can surely already pictured life with him. That's how crazy it is.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm pro he goes to her and now he says he can see his life with her after seeing her for two seconds, after ghosting her for eight months.
Speaker 3: What is wrong with this guy?
Speaker 5: I just think he's someone who's well versed in reality TV. I think he knows and he also knows how to do the dance and like and like get people on side. So, like I said, I haven't seen it yet, but I have read a lot about this already today. It's weird how deep in it I am for someone who hasn't seen the show yet. But he apparently went up to the family and kind of like explained to the family that he had ghosted her, but he was going through a lot at the time and managed to get the parents on board to say, like, what an upstanding guy he is. So he's managed to go from being a guy that goes to their daughter to them thinking that he's an amazing person. And to me, I think he is just someone who is very, very reality TV literate, and he knew that this is all going to come out.
Speaker 3: There's no other way to get around it.
Speaker 5: So the best way is to attack up front on be sorry, and to try and be this like, you know, we're gonna love each other.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 2: I think for there be the master manipulator of the show married at first sight, master manipulator. That's what it should be. Cooled.
Speaker 5: Well, let's see but also look, who knows they could end up being a happy couple at the end of it.
Speaker 3: All right, well, coming up.
Speaker 5: Next, we have our vibes and unsubscribed to the week and Britt something about telepathy.
Speaker 3: You think that this might be the next big thing.
Speaker 2: Sorry, did you get that? I was just trying to send you my answer. Okay, this is a new segment that we've brought onto the Pickup that Laura and I do on our podcast Life on Cut podcast. It's vibes in unsubscribed something that this week has really got our attention, or that we're like frothing, or maybe it's something that we're hating. All I am frothing something so hard this week. So my vibe this week is a podcast series. Now before you come for me, hear me out. It's not my normal vibe. But it is a podcast series called Telepathy Tapes.
Speaker 5: When you first mentioned this to me and you were like, I'm really into telepathy, now, I I did take the piece, and now that I know more about it, I'd take that back.
Speaker 2: So basically, we all know the autism spectrum varies greatly. There are non speaking autistic people that only can communicate by a typing machine basically. And since they've started doing this, there's been this investigative journalist neuroscientists as doing all these studies and they're basically proven that these kids are talking to each other in their mind. They can read their parents' minds, they can read their family's minds. It's truly gives me goose swamps. Have I listened to this?
Speaker 8: I'm working with children who have been reported by a parent to be able to read their mind. The data was so compelling and accurate that I had to follow it, even though I knew I was missing my scientific reputation. I started testing them and I found that they were exceedingly accurate. After the medical board took my license away, I had to prove my sanity Once I did, said I'm going to prove that ESP is real.
Speaker 3: So but did he prove it?
Speaker 2: That's the question.
Speaker 3: Did she prove it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: Yes, this is what the series is. There's videos like I cannot explain the goosebumps that I get, where a mother and a son are sitting there being filmed from multiple angles. Sometimes the child's in another room. The mother is shown, for example, a number, and it could be any number like a rand, someone else independent has put two numbers in a calculator thirty five times nine hundred and seventy two. They show the mom the answer, and the second that she reads it in her mind. In the other room, the child is putting that number into it and it is accurate every time. It is like nothing you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: How can this be real? Though it's kind of this reminds me of it.
Speaker 5: It reminds me of it is very different, but are also similar in some ways. You know the stories of little kids who have memories from past lives and things, and there's this really famous story of this little boy who had vivid memory of being like an actor from many years ago who had kids, and they followed it back and the stories all aligned.
Speaker 3: You think, like, how does this exist?
Speaker 2: But you cannot, you cannot listen to this series and not question. That's what I'm saying. I'm not so necessarily saying you have to believe it, but it will make you question what you think you know. Please go and listen.
Speaker 5: Well, I also have a vibe this week that will make you question everything too. It's also very highbrow, deep introspective. It's I'm a celebrity, get me out of here.
Speaker 3: And that is just night's episode.
Speaker 5: And the reason for that is because my husband, Maddy Jay has made it into the Tucker Trial and I just cannot wait to watch him eat some sort of pig asshole or something disgusting.
Speaker 3: I want him to be tortured live on National TV. I'm thrilled.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're so I do.
Speaker 5: I love him, I love him so much. He's the love of my life. But like torture him, Robert, I won't go for gold.
Speaker 2: You will have to kiss those same lips that kissed a button.
Speaker 5: I'm sure he's kissed a butte before mine.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's okay, Hey, is someone that did the show last year? I have been in the Tucker Trial. I can say that here one hundred percent is going to project our vomit. Do you know one thing that didn't make the cut last year? Because I vomited everywhere with I had like a pig nipple tickling in the back of my throat. I like gagged vomited it up, but like at the same time as I vomited, I coughed, and the slow motion pigs nipple flew across the air and landed on Robert Irwin's shoe for everything.
Speaker 5: Why does this stuff get cut out? This is the stuff we really want to see.
Speaker 3: Do you know why?
Speaker 5: Because it's also dinner time across Australia and no one wants to watch you.
Speaker 3: Like you can have a few gags, but no one wants to watch you project our vomit on Robert Irwin. All right, well look guys, that's it from us.