Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch Up podcast. Here's the thing about miss me. Here's the thingy Now.
Speaker 2: When we record our podcasts, we do it downstairs in our original studio space. And there's something about the energy here that is like a black hole. It sucks the life out of you. You really do have to try to fight against the current to stay alert and aware and present in this room. One thing for me won't do is fight against that current. She will let it take her under.
Speaker 3: You don't what to do it in a rip.
Speaker 1: Literally, she lets the rip take her under. You know, she doesn't want to, she.
Speaker 2: Don't want to challenge. But then I'm like, Beds, we still have to we still have to work.
Speaker 1: And she's like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, fuck it, fuck you've lost it.
Speaker 3: Let's read the rookie and do you mean to swear it you Brookie? I'll produce song whatever, whatever. Brookie's over it. But we're on this Steeler Girl.
Speaker 1: I'm into it.
Speaker 3: Sound contract.
Speaker 1: I love the overcoming narrative.
Speaker 3: What I he a little different, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Alright?
Speaker 3: Let's get to it. Flex and Rooms on Kater.
Speaker 2: As you know, we have crowned ourselves the most appropriate people to answer life's big questions. Today's comes from a listener called Elise, and they say, hey, Flex and Rooms, I love listening to your show and want to get your thoughts on people that have bucket lists. I personally think they're stupid and don't really understand the hype around them. Do you have one yourself? And if you did, what would be on it?
Speaker 1: Damn?
Speaker 3: Alice really came in sing like they're stupid. You know. I used to call my dad stupid back to other people, and then this other adult pulled me aside and said, don't call him stupid. It's silly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, silly's fat, Silly is beautiful. My friend's dad used to call me Sillyan like silly Lilian, and I love that.
Speaker 1: It was endearing.
Speaker 2: I don't even think he intended it to be just going to be like a bad influence friend, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, that's funny.
Speaker 2: Stupid feels targeted, stupid home of art. That feels like derogatory of the highest degree. Well, I said what I said, you did bucket lists? Let me just google what what is a bucket list? I feel like it's just like goals, goals, and drinks.
Speaker 3: I always think of a bucket list as something that people do when they're about to die. They're like sixty and they're like, oh okay, I still have a bit of rigor vigore.
Speaker 2: I think it's a bucket list. According to Google, this comes from Oxford Languages. It's a number of experiences or achievements that a person hopes to have or accomplished during their lifetime. That sounds chill. Why is it called a bucket list though? Oh, it comes from the frame before you kick the bucket, So just a list of things to do before you die.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a bad idea.
Speaker 2: I think people, If anything, I think more people should have a bucket list, because I feel like a lot of us forget that we're alive and that we have to live life, and that like, at one point we might not be alive anymore, and then we get no chance to live life. We don't take it as seriously as we could.
Speaker 3: We might not be alive. Babes, No, we will not be back. I hear it. Can you believe that this moment, right now, we're in the universe together and you're just into this.
Speaker 2: And then at one point we won't be in this universe together. I think I think the bucket list needs just definitely a bit of like twenty twenty three pr. It needs to be tiktokified for a second. We need to romanticize it. And I do think on a day to day people should be creating a bucket list. You know, the idea of like if you die tomorrow, what we do today. Everyone's like, oh my god, I go visit my own friend and I go do this and this and this. Not that extreme, but I think you should have goals and aspirations that improve the quality of your life.
Speaker 3: Definitely, I'm gonna go home and do one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder would be.
Speaker 3: On it tread wife, Literally it would be on a bucket list.
Speaker 2: I mean I definitely. When I think about about an imaginary scenario, I always say, oh, like if I was like gonna build an earthship in Panama, I always say that when I go to Panama. I don't know what I don't know what Panama looks like, but I've got to go to Panama and build an earth ship before I die.
Speaker 3: It needs to look into you.
Speaker 1: I'm like dropping here.
Speaker 2: Flex and Firms Flex and Frimess Cater never miss a beat, Flexiana speaking here. I'm an avid reader and my genre of choice is fantasy fiction and then the you know offshoots romance smart you know how it is literature, Hi Brown. What I want to say is that recently I've come out of a reading slum where I'm trying to claw my way out of one because I went from reading two to three books a week to none and I don't like what it's doing for me, my mental health or my vocabulary. I need to get back into it. So I'm reading this book at the moment, and I was trying to discern like why I was struggling with it, and I was like, you know what, there's some kind of fantasy I can't read because I can't picture what they're describing. And I was like, and I feel like I'm a good reader. So it's not like I don't understand what's being said. It's not like I can't comprehend what I'm reading. I can read it, but my mind's eye, nothing's really coming up. And so because I was procrastinating from reading, because TikTok has ruined my intention spam, I went to the internet. My Instagram, and I said, Hey, I think I have this mild form of afantasia, which is this.
Speaker 1: What do you call it?
Speaker 2: It's not a disease, It's just an experience people have where they don't have any visual pictures in their brain. Obviously I see some stuff in my brain, but it's out of this insane conversation about people who see stuff in their head like they see a picture, a visual picture in their head when they think, and people who see nothing and the spectrum in between. So obviously there's way more to talk about. Don't want to bore you with half stories. On our podcast Flex and Rooms, You're gonna go deep into it because after about an hour of trying to articulate what I'm experiencing in my mind, I finally figured it out information. I like to think and daydream in dialogue, not visual. And this feels like a contradiction to people because I'm a very creative, like a visually creative person, and they don't understand what I'm.
Speaker 3: Same crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: Ever, Okay, to.
Speaker 2: Begin, I'm just gonna read you excerpt of this book and what even started this issue for me?
Speaker 1: We're let down.
Speaker 2: Narrow streets no more sophisticated and those we've wound our way through. On the northern banks of the river, there's the same patchwork of dwellings, seemilarly cobbled together from the scavenge junk, the ever present stables, and the stench of shit, both human and animal.
Speaker 1: Finally, we approach.
Speaker 2: A cluster of buildings rising above the mushrooming shanty old world in construction. Their grubby stone is weathered with age. They're pointing in need of repair, but the general impression is palatial compared to the slums over which they hold court. I see nothing, not one thing. Maybe there's a keyword. I see cobbled. I think of cobble stones, but I'm not thinking of the context of the cobble together scavenge junk. That's not what they're saying. I just don't see anything. And then I think, in some instances I could be like, Okay, well, you know, I can imagine cobblestones, I can imagine like palatial buildings, but I don't understand how they work in this context. It's just not seeing anything, and so I have to clarify. Obviously, I don't have affantasia. I can see stuff in my brain. But I think I can kind of imagine people I know well, Like if someone said to think of rooms, I would think of a picture i'd seen of you, or like a memory we had had in a vague way. And if I think about it too hard, your face is distorted. It's like fuzzy. I get like the vibe of you. But when I have to picture something new, I can only cobble together references. Right, So the example I gave is if you told me to think of Robert Pattinson in Woolwors, I get a little p andng Robert Pattinson and I put him in a Woolworths aisle and then I've seen it, right, But it's still like taking visual references.
Speaker 3: So whereas I'm imagining him like mosing through the aisles looking at the produce like it's a moving image and he's weaving his way around the store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean I guess like in my head, I'm like, Okay, then I think of a scene from Twilight and then kind of like change the background, like that's crazy to Woolworths or whatever. So I was explaining that like when I'm reading in particular, more detail doesn't give me a more clear picture of anything. Less detailed is working much better because then I can kind of like pull from a reference, but it just gets so detail heaven, I'm like, I see nothing, not anything is coming up. And then if if I'm looking at a character or I'm trying to picture a character, I'll just pick a celebrity that I feel like is vaguely similar and I'll.
Speaker 1: Just picture them. That's because I want, I need the reference point.
Speaker 2: And I was saying, this is why I think I prefer to like read books that are dialogue heavy, because I can relate to an emotion or a story or like I, you know, I told her this and then she said this, because then I can just pick the feeling. But then when it's heaps of world building, I'm like, I don't know what's happening here, what is going on?
Speaker 3: It's so weird. I feel like I don't read that many books that when I do, I can always visualize, Like I'm thinking of particular books. One thing I do is I can't remember the names. But there's this like book. Someone will know what it is, and it's based in Korea and it's just like family decades, like they escape the war and then they like, the sisters live in a village.
Speaker 1: Someone's gonna know this one.
Speaker 3: And then the sisters separate and then one of the sisters kids dies And it also has.
Speaker 1: Don't give away the ending, No, no, I won't, won't.
Speaker 3: But it also has to do with Mama san like brothels is that the term? Yeah, I don't know anyway, someone know what it is. But I can still visualize these two women washing clothes in the lake. Yeah, I definitely still mix it with certain places, like I imagine them in North Bonda in some respects. Yeah, but near a vces, right up on the grassy and all. But yeah, it's funny to me that I remember seeing your story. Someone was like, but how do you design the earrings? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll get to that in the second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was also thinking, like, for example, if I daydream, like I'm a big daydreamer, that's one of my favorite things to do, but I daydream in so I'm like, and then I said, and then they said, and then I said, and then they said, and I said, what if they said this?
Speaker 1: And then?
Speaker 2: Very rarely am I thinking of things. If I start to think about pictures, they're not clear and they disappear. So then someone said to me, how is this possible when you literally design things for a living, How do you do that without seeing what you are designing? How do you come up with the ideas? And I was like, I can see familiar things in my brain. I just struggled to conjurect visuals of the imaginary. If I don't have a reference point, and so I don't visually ideate in my brain. I verbally ideate, and then I visually mood board or I draw, or I pick a reference or I have to see it out. So I said to Freemi earlier, if I was going to imagine this room pink, I'm not doing it in my brain. I'm doing it out. I'm trying to picture it using my eyes what it would be like pink. I'm not gonna look at it.
Speaker 1: In my head. You had to close my eyes and imagine pink. Pink isn't coming? Does my pink? Black and white and gray?
Speaker 2: FLEXI And then so then I was also saying that someone's like, Okay, what about when you read poetry. I'm like, I only read poetry about feelings, so I can just feel the feelings together.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And it's odd because now I understand. For example, like if you tell me a story, I'm like, can you show me him, show me them? Or like what does that look like? Because if I'm not going to get the picture of him or them or the thing, but I need to know what it looks like visually so I can connect the dots later on. Otherwise I'm like, I don't know what I'm doing here. And then somebody was like, okay, so how does it work with the jewelry?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I.
Speaker 2: Look at physical jewelry and I think when I look at myself, what would be cool on me? And then I collage in flesh. It's very odd because now I feel like this because you assume your brain works the way that other people's brains work, or you assume there's not that much of a disparity either.
Speaker 1: So now I'm.
Speaker 2: Thinking, you know, when people are saying, oh, picture this, I'm not picturing this.
Speaker 1: Is that what's going on? I'm reading this?
Speaker 2: And WHENI says, since I picture that family dancing in my head, That's why I'm like, your brain is so busy.
Speaker 3: The amount of people that message me saying, you know what I got someone dancing in my head too. Yeah, I said, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because if I look at my brain or I think if I close my eyes, it's just like a black abyss and voices, all my voices.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: But just talking, talking talking talking talking talking, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: I feel like the more we talk about this, somebody will come at me like, I know exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I know exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: It's like that when I was talking about everything moving and they're like, it's Alice in Wonderland effect, and I was like, yeah, Yeah, that's why my jaw feels massive. Sometimes you can't just tack that on to the end.
Speaker 1: Now the ones I get to get it, you're inflex and fronts. That's what my jaw is fucking huge.
Speaker 3: This is flex and frooms. I was texting a man's the other day. The details are scanned and they are not necessary. However, we were like texting back and forth. We just started texting, like texting straight away, stradeaways, straight aways in the afternoon, a text every ten minutes, you know, like okay, we had tempo, we had yeah.
Speaker 2: And giving unemployed at the same time. And I know you were at work when this was so a bit of detail.
Speaker 3: It was definitely after work and I was walking along Bondai Beach. Sorry I can say that because there's literally a million people here. I was walking along the beach and it looked amazing, like it looked like I was in Rio. There was so many people everywhere, it was so hot, and so I just went to send him a photo.
Speaker 1: I okay.
Speaker 2: I love when we start to integrate different media into a text thread. I want to see a voice message, a picky, a gift like an emojiy. I am obsessed, a video walking and talking video send obsessed.
Speaker 3: I mean my doing the front of first is a bit strong man.
Speaker 1: It's it's very lofty bold. I love it.
Speaker 3: I was was genuinely in that moment, like we were speaking earlier about how your time on earth is infinite. Sorry, your time on Earth is finite.
Speaker 2: Room please, Like when do you call that place like the Office of Births and Deaths in the city They start suing us.
Speaker 3: And I took this photo and I sent it because I was just overcome with this emotion of oh my god, life and He's like, oh, I bet you there's heaps of like Irish and English and Spanish people down there, because given it's Bondai Beach, it's a really big tourist hub.
Speaker 1: I'm scared, say two thirds of my community.
Speaker 3: So I said, yeah, there's so many people here you couldn't You couldn't throw a stick without hitting anyone, Okay? And then I was like, is that this sounds kind of like violent? Wait, I'm going to just google to see what the expression actually is. Great, tell me why I googled.
Speaker 1: You couldn't throw a stick without hitting on it?
Speaker 3: I think it's like, hmm, more than I could throw a stick without hitting. The expression, much to my demise, is more X into the things, more X than you can shake a stick at. And so that I am nothing to me more what do you use it in a sentence? There's so much flex mummy in this room. There's more flex mummy than I could shake a stick at.
Speaker 1: That the first thing makes way more sense to the second one. I like, so what does it mean?
Speaker 3: Oh, it just means there's people everywhere, Like you couldn't throw a stone without hitting one of them. That's better everywhere. Yeah, So just in this moment they heat of the moment of an exciting text exchange a beautiful day.
Speaker 2: You didn't what do you think you didn't read it and check it twice.
Speaker 3: So my tip is and I've seen this happen on body correct Nah, of course, not because it sounded.
Speaker 1: Fine, gentlemen.
Speaker 3: I have seen this play out when I've been texted as well, like go a bit easy on the wordplay and like the expression.
Speaker 1: Because do you want any poetics so bad? I want to know that you got what. And it's not a time bait.
Speaker 2: It's really not because when you have to correct your little asterisk, you're like, oh no, sorry, but and you're like, and you gotta do like thirteen minutes later because you're checking the threat to see what to say.
Speaker 3: Yuck. Yeah, just go with it. I just went with it, and I thought, let's just pretend that I made it my own and I can never think of it again.
Speaker 1: My chest is tired.
Speaker 3: I just have deleted the whole thread.
Speaker 1: You've got to block him now, it's not personal. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.