Speaker 1: Laura and come on in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show. Everyone.
Speaker 1: My Hi, Okay, we need to set some ground rules where we're in this studio. I'm looking at you, Mitch Cherry and these little iPad things that you're throwing around at us.
Speaker 3: Mitch walked in here with you know, those like silicon iPads that you get used for under eyebags when you face Juveniles's skin care.
Speaker 2: You put them ner your eyes. They get rid of the dark.
Speaker 1: Circle cucumber ones that you put in the fridge. You take out there cold, you slap them on underneath your eyes. You have just flung them in our face and you had food stuck under the one that hit Laura burn.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, it's one thing to wear them into the studio, it's another thing to throw them at people. And also, why are you're keeping your chili flakes inside your eyes?
Speaker 2: A bit of a garlos, It was a bit of chicken crumb under these. Sorry, I'm just trying to look my best. I work with two of the most gorgeous girls in the business.
Speaker 1: How does one get food caught under their eye mask? Though?
Speaker 2: Saving it for later, I've got a sultan under there.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: It's a very very big show. We're talking smacking next.
Speaker 3: Oh we are look, I mean controversial. Can you smack your kids? And if you do smack your kids or what sort of damage are you causing them?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we also need to settle an in house argument that we've been having between the three of us on things that you can and can't.
Speaker 3: Do in front of your partner and Brett you're wrong, just to get it out there before we.
Speaker 2: Have that discussion.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever been wrong in my life. Yeah on this one, said every woman ever.
Speaker 2: Today's at first with Brittany Hockley being wrong, come up on the pickup or thanks to Chemists Warehouse heading today great savings every day. Welcome to the show. It's the Pickup Tuesday. AVO, britt, Laura and Mitchie. Right now get half priced big brand vitamins and cosmetics at Chemist's Warehouse. Terms and conditions are pie Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know many parents who smack their kids these days when they're misbehaving, but I do think back in my day, I do think a lot of us got smacked.
Speaker 5: Did you get smacked?
Speaker 2: Mitch? Yeah, yeah, I definitely got smacked. I'm a gen z and I got smacked.
Speaker 1: I think it's pretty standard really back in the day. I never only really got smacked in the you know, when you're mucking up in the back of the car on like a long road trip and your parents to reach behind to get you on the calf muscle like behave.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, But.
Speaker 5: Like I didn't get smack.
Speaker 2: Smacked only on special occasions. Was I smacked?
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you were really really misbehaving.
Speaker 3: I mean we were the same that you had to have done something pretty wrong, like you knew you were going to get smacked. If you got smacked in our household, you'd do something. You'd be like, oh, better go, that one's in trouble.
Speaker 2: Oh god, dad, welts on my bat. I got the wooden spoon as well, did you? Yeah, yep, I did well.
Speaker 3: There has been some research that's come out recently that is to say that smacking children at an early age it gives them more increased risk of anxiety and depression later on. Now we have doctor Daryl Higgins on the phone, who has actually undertaken this study, Professor doctor Darryl Higgins. Great, so tell me a little bit about this research studies. I feel like there's probably a few parents in the car who were like, oh, last night, my kids sometimes when they're really naughty.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Look, there's actually two pieces of work that have been underway. So one of them is a review of literature that colleagues of mine, who are experts in parenting and are part of an organization called the Parenting and Family Research Alliance, pulled together the international evidence around whether or not we have a case for making legislative reform in Australia to ban corporal punishment. We looked at the childhood experiences of a representative sample of Australian adults, and the key piece of data was from the young adults in that study, three and a half thousand sixteen to twenty four year olds who told us about their experiences not only of child moil treatment, but answered questions separately around their experience of corporal punishment.
Speaker 1: Have you actually found a direct correlation that these kids day between sixteen and twenty four I shouldn't say kids, but young adults. How do you know that there is a direct correlation between their anxiety that they're experiencing now and being smacked as a child. Because I feel like, especially when you said the last year that we live in. I mean, the world has endured COVID, We've got so much social media pressure. How do we know that these aren't the things that are contributing to anxiety and as directly related to smacking as a child.
Speaker 6: Because we had such a large study with three and a half thousand young adults, we had a big group of them who didn't experience corporal punishment four or more times, and then in another group that did. And what we did was compare those two groups and say do they have similar rates of mental ill health? And what we found was no, they don't.
Speaker 3: Interesting, but surely there's a very big spectrum, I mean in terms of being smacked verse, you know, kids who are experiencing horrible childhoods. I was smacked a as a kid. I don't smack my kids, but I don't think that it's impacted me as an adult. I don't even think about the fact that I was smacked as a kid.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right, and absolutely there's very ability. And so we're not saying that every instance of corporal punishment inevitably leads to mental illness in adults. So there will be plenty of people who have experienced corporal punishment who don't go on to experience mental illness on average. That's the link. It doubles the risk, and that's a pretty strong correlation, and certainly one that's from a population perspective. If we want one strategy that we could do to reduce the likelihood that adults will be experiencing mental illness, we can change the childhood experiences of future generations to reduce that risk.
Speaker 2: Well, the three of us also will all smack, but we also have quite a privileged life. We do have a privileged lives and we're a privileged upbringing. People who aren't in a similar situation to us, who it would have affected a different light, right, I mean, we were all in loving homes as well as being smack.
Speaker 1: You're trying to say that there are a lot of other external factors that play hard.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what it means.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, how should parents DISCIPPLA and their child.
Speaker 6: That's a great question, and there are evidence based off and it's just smacking some of the issues that we talk about, things like giving clear and consistent lids about what you expect. Secondly, and this is one of the most challenging is managing your own emotions. As a parent, it's really easy to get caught up, and of course when we love our temper, it becomes contagious, which really amounts to being a good role model for your child. When it comes to managing situations, well, it's really important to support children in making amend, so looking at the natural consequences of their behaviors and where possible, if they've hurt somebody else or offended somebody else by their behavior, teaching them how to be able to resolve that and repair that relationship.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you so much for coming on having a chat.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, if you're out there and you're smacking your kids, there might be a better way of going about.
Speaker 2: It, totally. I don't think spacking is the way, especially in this day.
Speaker 1: For the cake better only we've been having to be of an argument here at the pickup about things you should and shouldn't do in front of your partner, and we all strongly disagree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do. We'll have that discussion next you're at the pickup. It's the pick up Tuesday, are though, it's Britt, it's Laura, it's Mitch, and listen, you can headed to campus Squarehouse today. Great, savings every day. We're all having an argument in the studio because listen, Laura and I and I'm not afraid to say it, are free range farters.
Speaker 1: This has come up a few times, this fighting conversation. It's not the first time it's happened. You both think it is wildly okay to let one rip in front of your loved ones, and.
Speaker 5: I totally fine, of course it is.
Speaker 1: If that ever happens to me, I'm very ill and it's popped out on its own, or or I'm possibly dying.
Speaker 3: When you're asleep sometimes sometimes when a little wiz pop will fall out and sep.
Speaker 2: It's a free for all. So Britt, why what are you against? You against the actual embarrassment of it, the fart of it all? Like what scares you about it?
Speaker 1: If you've got far on your partner, you aretly loading up a gun and shooting Pooh particles on them. That's what it is, a beinging them with Pooh particles. I mean, I've been with my partner Ben own pretty new, only like seven months, and we are long distance, so he can't see it down the phone, which is great, but I will not find in front of him and he will not do it in front of a out of respect.
Speaker 5: But what if Ben did just that.
Speaker 3: You don't want to, but you don't control his body autonomy. What if he decided that he'd had enough and he needed to let them run free in the world.
Speaker 1: I have told him that there's all different parts of a relationship, right that turn a partner off. Everyone has an ick, and it's fine. I know there's a lot of people out there that think fluffing's cute. That's great, but I personally don't. It is a turn off for me. So if I've told my partner that and they choose to ignore that, that's on them. If I get turned off at the end of the day, like that's just my little personal ick. Everyone doesn't have to be on board with it. Am I going to break up with them if they accidentally drop a bomb?
Speaker 2: Knoll?
Speaker 3: For what if he continued to deliberately do it against your You're saying that you would become unattracted to him and then maybe not want to be with him anymore.
Speaker 1: I would worry that that would be the case.
Speaker 5: Yeahs so extreme?
Speaker 1: Also, did I mention the parts?
Speaker 2: Let's go to the phones. Let's see what the opinion of Australia is high staff. To fart or not to fart? That is a question.
Speaker 4: Absolutely not yes day Kay?
Speaker 5: Sorry? How long have you been in a relationship.
Speaker 4: For I'm not currently in a relationship, but my longest relationship has been about four years.
Speaker 3: So you've spent four years of no farting. God, you must have had some stomach cramps.
Speaker 4: I just don't feel the need and if I did, then I would go to the bathroom. I just that is a line I will never cross.
Speaker 2: Okay. So you're lying in bed with your beautiful partner and you feel it. It travels from your tummy down the small intestine into the butt cavity. What do you do? You suck it back up? Like that's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: You get up and what you to.
Speaker 2: Walk in pantry? Fat step?
Speaker 1: You don't have to go and do it on the food mits. Why are we in the pantry steph? What would you do if you're in bed? You need to whiz pop.
Speaker 2: If there?
Speaker 4: If they were asleep, I would I probably would. If they were awake, I would go to the bathroom.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: So what I'm understanding is that is that you guys have no issue with your partner actually breathing in the smell. You just don't want them to hear the sound. That's what it is. If you'll do it when they're asleep, then you're like whatever, min.
Speaker 1: I don't really smell. I'm mind not like super cute.
Speaker 2: And oh I have been in a room when you fared. I went home, but I was out in the car talking.
Speaker 5: Oh you heard me.
Speaker 3: I have actually bridged it in front of me on purpose and it was not as far.
Speaker 2: Hi, Toby, to fart or not to fart? Tobes And let me tell you, are you in the happiest relationship you've ever been in? Toby? Of course he is, because he farts.
Speaker 5: I can hear crows in the back. Here's the aussiest guy that's ever.
Speaker 2: Been on the show. I know absolutely with crows. I don't call this will make or break it? Kylie. To fart or not to fart in front of your partner? What be the question?
Speaker 7: Well, for me, yes, but my mom she has spent thirty years of my dad and never has in front of him at all.
Speaker 1: My parents my parents have been married for forty six years and neither of them have ever intentionally let one go in front of each other, and I applaud that.
Speaker 7: Either my dad does he is a little good time, and then my mom doesn't.
Speaker 1: And does your mom not think it's gross?
Speaker 5: She always like.
Speaker 7: Ew yeah, she tells him off. Yeah, and he still believes that she can't. He physically can't do it.
Speaker 5: I think it's an imbalance of power in that relationship.
Speaker 1: In my relationship, Ben respects. I'm sure he wants to let them rip, but he respects that I don't like it, and he will always leave the room and I know he's going to do it because he's like ducks out for no reason.
Speaker 5: I was like, did you just come and let one?
Speaker 3: And he's like, yeah, had to, couldn't your poor partners stomach pain.
Speaker 2: Ben wants to do it in front of you. He's just terrified. Sorry, that's the truth.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: It's called respect, all right.
Speaker 2: Next on the show, Romances are on the Rise for a very good reason. All about that. Next at the Pickups Mallulaa, It's the pickup Tuesday afternoon, Britt, Laura and Mitch Hey Right now get half prized big brand vitamins and cosmetics at chemist Warehouse. Terms and conditions apply, guys, we all have a man in our life that loves a bromance, Right, a bromance? You know what a bromance is?
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 5: Dumb it down for us?
Speaker 2: A romances two men who are a bit more than friends, but it's completely platonic. They talk to each other, they open up, they share love, they can gossip and which stereotypically this is true. I don't think it's right men struggle to open up about their emotions. I mean, it's the old stereotype that you know, women are great gay men are great at talking about their emotions and talking to friends as support networks, but men often bottle it all up inside, which is on a serious note, contributes to why there are such high rates in men's mental health being really bad.
Speaker 3: Well, I think for me, Matt, my husband, he's just gotten into a brand new bromance and now I barely ever see him with his new best friend all the time. Ashwicks still haven't met the guy. Don't know what, I don't know what they talk about.
Speaker 5: It sure he exists, Yeah, No, I do know what they talk about.
Speaker 3: They talk about how Ash god a phasectomy and he's like encouraged Matt to maybe get one.
Speaker 2: As well, Laura don this is a good thing. Your Maddie needs to about these things with men. It's good.
Speaker 5: I might want those swimmers in a couple of years time. We can put it in a jar.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I think like getting for sectomies as a bromance, he's taking the bromance to the next level, like most people go for a beer, not like hey, bro, let's get the snip Yeah Snip Club.
Speaker 2: University of Sydney in Australia reporting that changing cultural norms are leading to a rise in the bromance.
Speaker 5: Well, I think we're seeing way more of this.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if any of you have heard of the I'm sure so many of you have the podcast from Huban Carleenberg The Imperfect. So much of that is around having they're often on Will and Woody, So much of their podcast is around conversations between men opening up, having these friendships and for it being a space where it's okay for men to have vulnerable conversations in the same way that women do without it being looked at as being weird or effeminate or any of those things.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. Yes, I have a lot of straight men in my life right being a gay man that I can tell, and I know it happens at parties all the time. I'll be a five pit at a party and these straight men will come up to me and over the course of the night and we will have really deep chats. And I said to my sister, I was one of her parties recently and a lot of her male friends would come up to me, and I'd be like, did you know that you know Stephen was a drag queen for one night in Thailand? Did you know she had no idea? Like, I think they just feel it's a safe space to talk to someone like me who is open to having these conversations. And I think it needs to be opened up more romances in normal male relationships up and more. I love it.
Speaker 1: You know what I think is really helping us see those rising men talking more openly and vulnerably to each other, is like I don't know if you guys have seen these documentaries lately, but Lewis Capaldi and Ed Shearon have both put things out documentaries out where they have been so vulnerable with their mental health, with how they're struggling, and Sharon recently came out and said by no means do I want to be the postboy for this, but I have bulimia.
Speaker 5: For a lot of time. I have struggle from bolimia because I.
Speaker 1: Didn't feel good enough when I saw other male performers, because all these huge male performers who were like getting their shirts off and ripped.
Speaker 5: And I think that that.
Speaker 1: I mean, these these docos are going number one on Netflix, so the world is watching them, and I think it's when when you look at these people for inspiration and then you're like, wow, they go through this too, and they can talk about it. It just opens up a whole new world for people.
Speaker 3: I also think, like vulnerability in men, it's so underrated.
Speaker 1: Women bloody love it is vulnerable.
Speaker 5: You're like, oh yeah, I'll give me a little bit more of that.
Speaker 3: But like, I think men think that it's a weakness, but really it's the best way of getting closer to your partner.
Speaker 1: Oh no, don't tell everyone that all these single men out there, or start.
Speaker 2: All right, that's us done, let's get out of here, will And what are you up next? Everybody? If you missed any the show this week, I had to iHeart search to pick up by say, guys,