Speaker 1: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Scams we hear about them on the news all the time, mainly on a current Affair, and a big shout out to Tracy Grimshaw if she.
Speaker 3: Is listening now.
Speaker 2: While these stories do tug at the heartstrings, ultimately we all kind of assume it will never happen to us because we're way too smart to get sucked into a scam.
Speaker 4: Do people still watch courn Affair?
Speaker 3: I think so cute?
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 4: You carry on?
Speaker 3: That's sorry, poll the group.
Speaker 2: The thing is, though, guys, scamming can happen to anyone of any age, intellect, and background, including She's on the Money listeners. So today we want to run you through all you need to know when it comes to scams so you can avoid a falling victim to this hideous type of crime. My name is Georgia King, and joining me today to talk through how we can safeguard our finances and ourselves from scams is financial advisor Victoria Divine. I had a phone call the other day from someone claiming to be from the ATO.
Speaker 4: They weren't spoiler.
Speaker 2: It was an automated message and it said I would be arrested if I didn't transfer money for some overdue tax and I was like, I have to say, God.
Speaker 4: Did you how realistic was it? And it wasn't a recording. It was actually someone saying he was calling from the ATO. Yeah, And quite evidently he was not because they don't speak in the tone of voice he was speaking in right when I said, okay, well validate my information and he was like, oh, I didn't know how, And I said, oh my gosh, I don't even have a job. I just played along with it. It's a terrible idea, but you know, we're actually going to teach you about real scam avoidance. It's not the victoriated line method.
Speaker 2: Well, but that's the thing, be that these are so realistic. Like I'm a I consider myself to be a smart, young, strapping lass but I was like, Mom, I'm gonna get arrested.
Speaker 3: They're coming for me.
Speaker 4: So if the ATO were genuinely coming for you and they already had your mobile number, I guarantee you would have heard about this before. No one and I repeat, no one is ever going to call you and be like, hey, if you don't transfer me money for some overdue tracks, you're going to be arrested. That's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what my mum said. I'm still kind of suss on it.
Speaker 4: Though, So in that situation, let's take this situation as any exactible. I know we're going to get into it in more depth, yep, But in this situation, you'd say, no problems, thank you so much. Mister. I think you're a scammer. What's your landline. I'm going to call you back on that and ask them for their landline. Then if they do give you that, great, that's a very positive step. Google it is it actually the ATO? If not, just call there one eight hundred number and say, hey, I was just on the phone to somebody at the ATO. They said I was going to be arrested. Be worried. Can you guys let me know what's going on? So my advice is immediately hang up and then call that authority back asap if you're concerned about it. Obviously I knew that was a scam, so I definitely didn't bother following anybody up. But if you're worried, call that proper authority on their one eight hundred number. Not talk to that person on the phone, because often even if you say, hey, can you validate my identification, they're like, okay, give me your full name. No no, no, no no, you're now giving them the information that they need. So don't do that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Okay, so call.
Speaker 4: Them, and the girl that picks up or the boy that picks up is going to go, oh my gosh, Georgia, I know that's a common scam. I'm so sorry you got stuck. Okay, they'll let you know.
Speaker 3: Don't know. Don't call mom.
Speaker 4: I mean you could call mom, I call my literally everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, moving a lot.
Speaker 2: How common are scams in Australia, because it's not just you and I are getting these calls, right.
Speaker 4: No, it's not. Unfortunately, there are too many scams and unfortunately they are all too common. In twenty twenty, one hundred and seventy six million dollars was lost on scams, which is up a total of twenty three point one percent if we compare that to twenty nineteen stats, and that of course was due to the increased time that we are actually spending online recently and that is, my friends, a lot of money. And that's not only scams that we've been reported, do you Apparently only thirteen percent of victims actually make a report, according to a company called scam Watch, which is run by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission or the ah trouble C. So it's safe to assume that much more money has actually been lost, which is wild.
Speaker 2: It is wild, And I guess it makes sense that last year so much money was lost because obviously it was the pandemic and as you said, we were spending so much time online because we had not a lot else to do, and they really targeted us for that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And do you know what's scary? More than sixty three million dollars has already been lost this year and it's only May.
Speaker 3: What that's a lot of cash, God, is a lot of money.
Speaker 4: That is a lot of dollar us.
Speaker 2: Georgia King, it's really sad this topic.
Speaker 4: I think it's really sad. But I also think it's really important because it can help us have empowered conversations, Like I don't think a lot of people in the moment, especially when they pick up the phone and someone says I'm from the ato, and if you don't pay us right now, you're going to go to jail. You're gonna be a bit stressed. But I think the most important thing here is actually to go Okay, no, here's what I'm gonna do. Thank you so much for calling. I can see that you've got a valid point. If they do. If they don't, who cares to just say that? Hang up and call them directly from their landline. For me, that is probably the best way to go about it if they call you. But some are a lot slipperier than that, and they actually get into your inbox and you don't even realize how scammy they are.
Speaker 2: Well, that's it, Feast, so tell me it's This is obviously ATO style scams. So masking is government cooperations to try and get your money, get your personal details, whatever.
Speaker 4: Lots of types of scam.
Speaker 3: Talk me through them.
Speaker 4: Okay, are you ready for this? Because there are a lot of different types of scams, which is kind of pervy like. As long as you've never been bitten by them, this could be a really interesting episode. But if you have, you'll be like, oh my gosh, Victoria, please stuff talking. But one that everybody is probably seen is those prize winning scams. So, for example, you might have received a message from an unknown number congratulating you on winning their competition, and all you need to do to claim your fifty thousand dollar prize is click the link and give them all your personal details, which should be true, too good to be true, because it is too good to be true. And then they'll use your personal details and you know what are they going to do with that?
Speaker 3: What still my money?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. They're going to probably pretend to be you, which is terrifying. There's another type of scam, which is more of a transactional buying scam, so maybe on like Facebook, Marketplace or eBay where people are selling false scords and taking your money and running. And I've actually seen this a fair bit on places like gum tree recently. Really yes, especially during COVID, you know what, advertising pets, which is really sad because a lot of people during COVID really want pets. So they're like, yep, I totally get that you can't see me. I will, you know, follow all the social distancing rules. I'll transfer my five thousand dollars for my you know, spoodle thing that everybody's buying at the moment. That's an attack on me as well. I just bought a golden Sheeper doodle go figure. A legit one, by the way, wasn't a scam, but they would take people's money and then they'd organizer pickup time and actually never turn up, which is wild and so unfair.
Speaker 2: They really capitalize on trends, it seems, because that's what everyone was buying last year, isn't that Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: Which makes sense, and that's why you really need to validate any purchase that you are making online. And there sadly are a few dating scams online. This breaks my heart, yeah, or what people are more commonly calling cat fishing, which are particularly devastating, often because love is involved, and that might be a scammer setting up a fake account or initiating a fake relationship and then exploiting the other person, using them for money or gifts or personal details, and they would usually want to hurry the relationship along, but they can't ever meet that person because they're quote overseas or working in a mine or something like that. And once they've formed that relationship with you and the trust is there, that's when it gets really dangerous. And they'll start asking for money or claim that there's an emergency and that they need your financial help and stuff. And that's really terrifying because I think that that happens more often than people are willing to admit, because it's a bit embarrassing in a way, right, Yeah, No one wants to say, hey, I got catfished.
Speaker 2: No, because there's, yeah, there's ego involved in that. One hundred an emotional experience to go through. Having your heartbroken is bad enough, but coupling that with national devastation.
Speaker 4: And I think it's really hard because you know, good people meet other good people online, Like I met my partner online, and I'm not ashamed of that in any way, shape or form, but I think it's a more common way to meet people nowadays, but also a really common way for people to be scammed. Side note, Georgia, how cool would it be to get a catfished money diary?
Speaker 3: Oh? That would be very interesting.
Speaker 4: So if you've been catfished and it's financially impacted, you could you just start slide into my DMS in the next week or so, because I have questions. Yeah, and I'm pretty sure our whole community does.
Speaker 2: Well and that would be a really helpful listen for everyone to know exactly what to be aware of and those little red flags that we need to.
Speaker 4: Make back on track. Though, when it comes to scams, there are also fake charities, fake tradees, fake investing opportunities, computer hackings, et cetera. Literally the list goes on in terms of the scams that are most prevalent. Scam Watch's latest report from twenty nineteen found the greatest losses by type of scam were number one business email compromised scams and number two investment scams and then number three dating roment scams. So all of the things that we want, we want to be in business, we want to be investing, and we want to be in love, and we're going to be scammed on the mall Georgia. Not good, not good at all.
Speaker 2: And that's millions and millions and millions of dollars were tied to those each of those headers, So it's a lot of money that's been lost.
Speaker 4: To each of those in total. We go back to that stat I said at the start, I believe that was one hundred and seventy six million dollars which was lost in twenty twenty Wild and that was all that people actually admitted to. Crazy.
Speaker 2: Now, investment scams that was number two. So that's obviously the space that you move in.
Speaker 4: It is I do like a little investment.
Speaker 3: What does this mean? What does that look like? What do we need to be mindful of?
Speaker 4: So investment scams usually occur when a scammer is masked grading as like a stock trader or a broker or a financial professional. Really really sad and hopefully less common given the Royal Commission that we went through in twenty nineteen in saying that if you're interested in finance scams and you haven't listened to the podcast who the hell is Hamish? Oh what are you doing with your life? That was so juicy cost juicy? Definitely go and listen to that. But back to financial scams and investing scams. They will often approach you with a once in a lifetime opportunity that will help you make money fast, but to do that you actually need to move really quickly, and they often use really tricky language and jargons so that they sound super informed, and they make you reluctant to ask questions or question the authenticity of that kind of offer. So for me, any person who doesn't break it down for you and actually explain an investment opportunity and isn't willing to wait is a terrible idea, even if it's not a scam. If someone is pressuring you to invest and you're just not ready, they are not the right person to invest with. My friends.
Speaker 2: Are there fake in quote marks businesses on the stock market or is that highly regulated? Like can we ever accidentally invest in?
Speaker 4: No, if you logged into the ASX and you were investing, you're not going to get scammed there. But if you met someone and they're like, hey, Georgia King, I am a stockbroker, I will broke of stocks on your behalf, that's where you've got to be a bit wary about the authenticity of that person. And that's where the ask, you know, financial advisory register comes in handy. So if you are going to go see a financial advisor, you can look them up and see if they're registered and have any complaints against them and making sure that they're actually qualified, et cetera. So for me, go and look up that person and see their history. I think in twenty twenty one, it's not too hard to see if someone has a track record or not, but historically it's been a lot more convoluted than it is today.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is a throwback to an earlier episode.
Speaker 4: I know exactly what you're about to say.
Speaker 2: Would you consider MLM to be a scam?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? And I've spoken about this so many times. There are a number of reason, right, and please don't think that for even two seconds. I think that MLMs are a scam for absolutely everybody. There's like a one percent of those scams that they're making money, but they're making money off scamming people, so like that's not a thing.
Speaker 2: For anyone who doesn't know. MLMs are multiple schemes yea.
Speaker 4: And to me, I do genuinely believe that they are pyramid schemes parading as sheep, so you know, instead of having an actual pyramid scheme, they always always always sell a product. So that could be essentral oils, it could be you know, workout stuff, it could be well like kitchen where it could be literally anything, but usually actually not even usually Georgia. Always there is a product associated with it to masquerade this pyramid scheme. And that's what they'll say, someone says, or if you say to someone, hey, Georgia, that's a pyramid scheme. They'll be like, no, but we've sell a product, and you'll be like, you are still a scam, my friend. But the reason I think that is scammy is because so many people get lulled into this false sense of security where they think, oh, I'm gonna run my own business and I'm actually gonna have this really great support network and I'm going to do all these cool things, when in reality, it's going to cost you more than what you're actually making from it, and it's not a good thing at all because they own your entire IP and you don't actually get your own business. You're so reliant on somebody else. So my opinion there is, if you want to be a business owner, go join the Business Bible. Obviously not being promotional here, I genuinely believe you should go and join the Business Bible instead of joining a MLM that is going to lead you now on the wrong track.
Speaker 2: Love that, and also go back and listen to our MLM episode I think.
Speaker 3: From season three, Season three, Season three.
Speaker 4: Imagine having that many seasons that we get confused and how cool we.
Speaker 2: Are doing as a business owner, how worrying are scams for you, because I feel like they would kind of be a threat to you as well, not just as an individual but as a business owner.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and they are quite concerning. And I've actually seen a few friends, not recently, but in the last couple of years, I guess that's recently have a hacker come into their computer system and change invoices, so you pay money to a separate bank account. And these friends worked in the real estate industry, so these amounts of money were people's home deposits.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what would happen is they'd send the bank details through to the person who needed to pay the home deposit, and then they'd pay them. It'd all be well and good, and they'd be like, yeah, paid it, no problems, and then the real estate agent would say, great, thank you so much, Georgia, congratulations. We'll send you the receipt once he hits the account, because usually those things aren't instant because it's such a big transfer, and then a couple of days later they'll be like, oh, it's not there, but then a couple of days later it's too late. So for me, if you are transferring a home deposit, I would absolutely just call the real estate agent and go, hey, don't want to be a pest, but could you just confirm your BSBAN account number before I make this transfer? Yea, just to get it verbally as well. And I know a couple of people who work in real estate who will only do it verbally and get you to like write it down and then spell it out because so many times this happens and it's terrifying. But that's all about security as well. So here it cheese on money and Zella, we have psycho levels of security.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say, I can't imagine you'd just be like, yeah, whatever, send it through fun.
Speaker 4: Ask poor Jess, Like, we can't even make changes to our emails without our IT person. Get you involved, because it is such a high level of security, which is honestly so necessary because I also run a wealth business. Yeah, and my clients personal details, they're really important to me and they should never ever ever be compromised.
Speaker 3: Yeah, love it all right.
Speaker 2: Descanners target certain demographics of people.
Speaker 4: Look not necessarily. It feels like that when we hear these stories that it's always the elderly that's targeted, or you know, the young people, or you know the people who owe tax or whatever it is. But according to scam Watch, there's actually no specific demographic that's targeted, and we all really need to be super careful and vigilant in saying that certain scams will target certain people. So people who are on online dating apps or websites that are targeted for romance scams, particularly if they're new to these sites and they're not very experienced, they might not be able to pick them up as quickly. Whereas I think you know, you and IG if we were on Tinder today, I think we'd pretty quickly see something and be like, oh, that's too good to be true, or that's a scam, or yeah, profile is not written well yeah, but I would assume that someone who's maybe not a millennial or gen Z or why, they might actually not see that and not have the level of conviction when it comes to going ah, I don't think that's actually what they say they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if you've been out of the game, as they say, for a long time and someone's like, hey, Candy, Candy, Okay, you're a lovely look and lass, let's get dinner online because I'm fake.
Speaker 3: Like you go for it.
Speaker 2: That was a weird spill, but you know what I mean, they would be less suspicious, whereas we would be like, no, Derek, no, god, that was weird. Keep on talking, Victoria handling back to you.
Speaker 4: Okay, I really like that, but in saying that, this is creepy and I'm totally happy to share this with the trees on the money community. But do you know what you can do? You can screenshot people's profiles on dating apps. Because I met Steve on a dating app and I did this, then I have no shame screenshot. You can reverse search on Google from an image. You can that, yes, yeah, okay, obviously I just did my research. You did this with Steve, not with Steve. But it's how I found out that a couple of profiles had stolen pictures and were using them and they weren't theirs, because you know, sometimes they are legit and people are legitimate people behind the accounts, but then they're actually not who they say.
Speaker 3: That's fishing, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly. And so if you reverse image search it and then it comes up with like male model, you're like, well, that's clearly not you, as the first thing on Google. Yeah, so I used to just block and delete them. But too many people aren't that savvy or aren't that creepy? Not sure which one it is, but let's move on. If you are worried about people in your life being taken advantage of because you're not as savvy or as creepy as I am, it's a really good idea to point them in the direction of the scam Watch website, which we will link in the show notes, as that has really comprehensive lists of what kinds of behaviors that you should be really mindful of. So obviously, if things feel off and your gut is telling you it's not right, nine times out of ten it's not right.
Speaker 2: I gotta listen to your gut.
Speaker 4: You absolutely do.
Speaker 2: All right, We will be back just after the break to chat how we can avoid being scammed, and very importantly, what to do if we or if someone we know has been scammed. Stick around friends. Alrighty, guys, don't forget that this podcast is not the only place we chat about scams and money.
Speaker 3: We're also on the Facebook. One hundred and sixty three.
Speaker 4: How old you are the Facebook?
Speaker 2: I'm not one hundred and eight of just aged. Well, we've got the Facebook, We've got the Instagram, We've got the TikTok, we do the newsletter.
Speaker 3: The other thing we.
Speaker 2: Have is a reviews page at the bottom of iTunes Victoria define we.
Speaker 4: Do, and that is where you can leave lovely comments about how delightful Georgia King's analogies are and how much we like Jessica's laugh on the pod on Friday Drinks. So, if you would like to leave us a lovely review, please do so, because not everybody on the internet is as kind.
Speaker 2: No, and if you give us five stars, I think that helps with the algorithm. I'm not one for the technology as we know, but I think it does help. It helps us reach more people. Yeah, Georgia King is right, it helps us.
Speaker 4: Build our community stay again and make sure that we can keep the podcast going.
Speaker 2: Yes, so please, if you have time, guys, we would love it if you could leave us a little review.
Speaker 4: Do you know what else we love? Georgia King? What talking about scams? So we do.
Speaker 3: Let's get back into it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we know now that scams are quite prevalent, that they are jinking. We know what some types of scams out there are. We only really scratch the surface but we don't have hours, We've got minutes, So how do we actually avoid being scammed?
Speaker 4: All right, So it sounds really stereotypical, but stay vigilant and be aware that scams actually exist. I think too many of us are too trusting, which is really sweet, and I think it's really kind that we just assume that everybody has our best interests at hard and that's actually not the case. So definitely always second guess things, especially if they're over the Internet and from people you've never met. Don't be uncreative with your passwords, so like I can be often, and I'm sure you can be often, Georgia. Tempting though it may be to just use the same one across the board. That is a very easy way of making yourself a target, so definitely do not do that. Keep in mind, as I said Georgia before, if something is too good to be true, probably is. If a business or individual is requesting your details or wants to transfer you money or vice versa, you should treat it with suspicion. You should never ever ever send money, provide your account details or your credit card details to anybody you don't know. And as I said, if anybody ever calls you hang up, call back the landline. If they call you and say, hey, it's Virgin Money, be like, hey, Virgin Money, so excited to have this conversation. I'll call back your call center, no problems. And if they start arguing with you, like, oh no, don't worry about that. No, no, no, my friend, you have just let me know that that is a scam, because anybody who works for some reputable organization will know that that's you just making sure that you're in the right place at the right time. And on top of that, I'm not very good at this, but that's okay. The tip is keep your socials private if you can. It is crazy what we expose online every day without much thought. But what the consequence is called even beg and if you do see something suspicious, just report it to the platform. Get it done.
Speaker 2: Don't you think it is quite whack how much we do expose ourselves online, Like how much we all the images that are out there, everything we've ever said, all of the cookies that we accept, Like, it is so bad.
Speaker 4: It is crazy. And about eighteen months ago, just before COVID here, yeah, somebody took all of my photos from my Instagram.
Speaker 3: And I remember that.
Speaker 2: I don't. I remember when someone tried to steal shees on the money they made.
Speaker 4: Something a lot too. Yeah, same, same, different way. But someone tried to bet me on Tinder. But my name was Sarah and they lived in Richmond, Fun, which was really creepy. And you know what, it was really weird because my partner's best friend was literally like, what the hell this is? You know my bestie's girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Did he think no?
Speaker 2: Wait, he didn't think it was you because it was Sarah. No.
Speaker 4: And he also, I think he knows so long enough to know that that ain't you. No, not me. I'm obsessed with Steve, like that would never happen. But that's okay. So he took screenshots of it and sent it to me and was like, hey, what's this And I was like, hey, I've got no idea, really creepy. Please match with them. So he did, and you know, on Tinder it says that they're local. It was someone close because they lived like three kilometers from wherever he was, and that's creepy.
Speaker 3: That's so weird.
Speaker 4: So anyway, he reported them for faking a profile, et cetera. It got taken down but like the idea that someone could screenshot my Instagram and then create a story around that, and the profile looked legit, right because my Instagram photos, Like if you just take a couple of you know, selfie pictures and whatever else I've gotten there, you string it together, it would look by my dating profile because do you know what, that's where I got my dating pro file fires anyway, yep, creepy.
Speaker 2: It's a funny old world that we live in, Victoria.
Speaker 4: Do you know what was a good thing about that?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 4: Joja, they said I was twenty three?
Speaker 3: Ooh girl, still still got it?
Speaker 4: No one questioned that part of it.
Speaker 2: Now, what should we do if we have been scammed?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm a big diber dobber, so you should report it. Great. Where you're going to report it is going to be completely dependent on what the scam is. So first things first, you could report it to the A Triple C as we mentioned before, And I think it's so important because this is what's going to help other people determine if it's a scam or not and actually alert that agency to know that this scam is running so that they can tell people and maybe put it on an EDM and let people know and be like, hey, cool, if you get an email from Sentilink or you get a call from Centilink, it's not us, so that they can forall warn people. And this is you actually helping, so it's not just hey, report it because they'll take them down. Sadly, a lot of the time you're never able to trace these people, but you're actually protecting others, which arguably is just as important. And then depending on the scam you should make sure that you are securing your personal information, So go ahead and change your pins and your passwords and anything that you think that a scammer may be able to access and then exploit, and just make sure you're looking after yourself. My friends, if you or someone you know has been through this and is suffering mentally because of it, because this can impact you dramatically, please reach out to the many free services we have here in Australia like Lifeline, Beyond Blue etc. We're gonna have a few in the show notes, or just tee up a chat with your GP to discuss a mental health care plan option.
Speaker 2: The other thing that we often talk about on the podcast is the debt free helpline.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, the National Debt Helpline, that's the one. These guys are actual legends. Will put that in there as well. They're free. And then also the government funded called Idcare. They provide support to victims of identity crime. So if it's literally not just a scam and someone has literally been pretending to be you, that is a really great place to start. And again we will put their details in the show notes. Do you know how sad this is?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 4: G about where this episode has come from. This episode has literally come from so many people dming us more recently saying hey I was a bit by this scam, or hey I think this is a scam. So I definitely know they are a little bit more prevalent at the moment, and I genuinely think coming out of COVID, people are a little bit more trusting because we've created that sense of community for COVID, and we're more likely to go you know what, You're right the ato they would call me because there's no way they'd just send a letter because I can't go in and see them, like, we are so much more likely to accept that something is online. But I think we just need to stay really vigilant and just really aware of our circumstances.
Speaker 2: It's also something that we just don't really talk about that much beyond like having different passwords for each platform and baking, etc. Like when they said I was going to get arrested, I was like, this is it for g Yeah, I got a throw sheets on the money away, I'm going to prison. I don't know what I've done, but it's over.
Speaker 4: I heard you get a call in prison and that could have been your podcast every week, So that's okay. We would never let you go.
Speaker 3: Thank God.
Speaker 2: My last question here V is will we get our money back if we have been scammed?
Speaker 4: No? Sorry, that is the heartbreaking part at the end of the day. According to our friends at scam Watch, we're not really our friends. They're just a website I've frequented a lot.
Speaker 2: They're also not sponsoring this podcast. They're a government website.
Speaker 4: A little government website, and they're really helpful, especially when doing research for a scams podcast. But if you've lost money to a scam, usually that's it and you're not going to get your money back, which is why I'm saying things like, please be vigilant if you are going to transfer a house deposit, you know what. It just takes you two seconds to pick up the phone and call the real estate agent. Real estate agent receptionist are usually really delightful and they will be more than happy to help you out. You're not being annoying, and I think so many people need to hear that because so many people are like, Oh, I don't want to call, I don't want to get somebody else up. No, my friend, if it is involving money, your mental health, your actual finances, you're not annoying anybody. Just ask the question, because if it isn't the right thing, you will be so grateful that you actually asked, and they'll be thinking that you're crazy, and they'll be like, oh my gosh, that crazy thing could have happened to you. I'm so glad you checked. So sadly, not nine times out of ten. But if you were scammed and paid someone by credit card, you might be able to receive a charge back from that credit card provider or bank, which will most likely be a refund, but often it's a little bit more complex. So that is something that you should look into. So contact your credit card provider if that's how you've been scammed.
Speaker 3: God could so much today, Victoria Devine.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit scammy, it's a little bit fluffy, it's a little bit different. But I genuinely think we need to talk about these things because more often not people are really embarrassed that they get stung. Yes, they make you feel silly, But I think a really important thing to point out here is scammers are so smart, Like they've gotten to the point where when they send you an email, that email looks so legit that you will be questioning your questioning of it. So they are smarter than actually anybody assumes. And I think that if you get stung, it is not your fault. But I think that you know, always trying to not be too naive and not be too trusting is actually going to be of massive benefit here.
Speaker 2: All right, So to wrap today's show, Today, guys, we've learned that we need to stay vigilant to avoid.
Speaker 4: Being scammed, because it's that word a lot.
Speaker 2: Vigilant, That is the word of the show. Even though we think it won't happen, it definitely can happen to us. And intellect really isn't a part of the conversation. It happens to everyone, So we've got that. If we do want to have a more comprehensive look at the state of scams in Australia, definitely look at scam Watch. And if you do need to report, this is a really comprehensive list there.
Speaker 4: As well, and it's really easy.
Speaker 2: Yes, And if you have been scammed by someone over the phone, don't call your mum, call the ATO slash whoever the agency is claiming to.
Speaker 4: Be, and then call us because we want to see us and have a chat.
Speaker 3: All right, v I do think that is all we have time for today.
Speaker 4: Sadly, sadly, it is all we have time for today. But just before we head off, we'd like to acknowledge and pay respect to Australia's Aboriginal in Torres Strait Island, to people's the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land on which we are able to learn. We pay a respect to elders past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 2: And remember guys that the advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the money, exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or a financial decision. And we promise Victoria Divine is not a scammer. She's an authorized representative of Australia Pacific Funds Management Proprietary Limited ABN three four one three two four six three two five seven AFSL three three nine and one five one.
Speaker 4: And if you're not sick of hearing Georgia say that, or maybe you're questioning me, which, to be honest, is actually really important for you to do true, look me up on the ask to find a financial advisorist and you'll see I'm really legit.
Speaker 2: Or google Forbes thirty hundred thirty.
Speaker 3: Who's with me?
Speaker 4: We'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye guys.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, thanks to Tony Lodge for editing today show and putting it together.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the team.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the team, Thank you for being here. We love you.
Speaker 3: Bye guys,