Speaker 1: Already and this is this is the Daily Off. This is the Daily OS. Oh, now it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Good morning, and welcome to the Daily OS. It is Tuesday, the eleventh of June.
Speaker 1: I'm Billy, I'm Sam.
Speaker 2: Yesterday the federal government launched its first ever nationwide anti vaping advertising campaign, called give Up for Good.
Speaker 1: It comes as the number.
Speaker 2: Of people between the ages of eighteen and twenty four who vape has quadrupled.
Speaker 1: Since twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: To target young people, the government will run ads on TikTok for the first time. And what's particularly interesting is the kind of messaging that the government found was going to be most effective towards young people.
Speaker 1: We'll tell you more about that in.
Speaker 2: Today's podcast, but before we get there, Sam, what is making headlines today?
Speaker 3: French President Emmanuel Macron has called a snap national election to be held on the thirtieth of June, only hours after the far right party, led by his main rival Marine la Penn, delivered a stronger than expected result in the European Parliament elections. Appearing in a televised address, Macron announced the dissolution of parliament and told voters France needs a clear majority in serenity and harmony. A result will be delivered to the French public before the start of the Olympics. They kick off on the twenty sixth of July.
Speaker 2: Consumers have been told not to panic buy eggs after Cole's placed a limit on how many cardens a single customer can purchase. Victoria's Minister for Jobs in Industry, Natalie hutchins, so consumers don't need to stock up and there are still some very good supplies. Coles announced the limit of two egg cardons per customer excluding Western Australia, after bird flu was found at a fifth poultry farm in Victoria. Agriculture Victoria has assured customers that eggs and poultry products from supermarkets are safe to consume.
Speaker 3: New South Wales police have seized more than two million dollars in illegal tobaccos, cigarettes and vapes. We're going to be talking more about them today. During three separate routine traffic stops in the state. On Saturday afternoon, a car was stopped and searched, leading to the discovery of over twenty three hundred vapes and one hundred and forty two thousand dollars in cash. On Sunday morning, a thirty five year old woman was found in possession of over one point one million dollars in cigarettes and tobacco, followed by yet another discovery on Sunday afternoon of six hundred and fifteen thousand dollars worth of cigarettes.
Speaker 2: And Today's good News. The annual Big Freeze fundraisers that accompanies the King's Birthday AFL matches between Collingwood and Melbourne has celebrated its tenth year, raising tens of millions over the decade for research into the causes and treatment of motor neuron disease, also known as MND. The organization was established in twenty fourteen by legendary AFL player and coach Neil Danaher, who was diagnosed with MND in twenty thirteen. To mark the day, nine Australian celebrities subjected themselves to a water slide into an ice bath in front of oz ninety thousand fans at the MCG now sixty three. Danaher was in attendance to watch the event.
Speaker 3: So, Billy, the government's announced this major vaping campaign. Before we get into what sort of slogans they're using, why those slogans made it in why don't we go back and just establish that vaping is extremely popular amongst young people. We've done a lot of journalism on this, give me a sense of how popular it really is.
Speaker 2: I actually remember the first time I came to the Daily Ohs and I said to you, guys, vaping is everywhere, and you said, I've never seen it. You were a visionary, yes, but now it's undeniable.
Speaker 1: You see it everywhere you go.
Speaker 2: So government data suggests that about three point three million Australians vaped or smoked in twenty twenty two or both. And according to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, which is also official government data, people aged between eighteen and twenty four are the most likely to vape den And like I said in the intro, the number of people in this age group who vape has quadrupled since twenty nineteen. So just in the last five years, this sharp increase, it's become exponentially more popular. And we're actually the first generation to see an increase in nicotine use since the early nineteen nineties, so we're really going against this long downward.
Speaker 3: Trend, a trend. Interestingly that the government has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into in previous campaigns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and more specifically, data suggests that vaping is more common in young females than in young males, which I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I thought that was quite interesting.
Speaker 2: And one other interesting thing is that in terms of the differences between those who vape and those who smoke, data tells us that people living in the highest socioeconomic areas are the most likely to vape but not smoke, and it is the exact opposite for smoking, where the people living in the lowest socioeconomic areas are the most likely to smoke but not vape.
Speaker 3: And it's really interesting that kind of socioeconomic but wherever you are, smoking or vaping is a big issue for young people. So the government come out they launch this big advertising campaign yesterday to combat it. Tell me about the campaign.
Speaker 2: So it's called give Up for Good and it is focused on both vaping and smoking. And it's actually quite historic. There are a number of first here. So it is the first time an Australian government has advertised about the risks and harms of vaping. It's also the first time in nearly a decade that there has been a population wide smoking campaign.
Speaker 3: So opposed to like state by state campaigns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or focused on certain demographics. It's focused on everywhere this time. And it's also the first time that TikTok will be used in an Australian government campaign. And the government has also identified four key target groups. So the first one is young people who vape, the second is adults who vape, the third is adults who smoke, and the final one is First Nations adults who smoke. Now, for the purposes of this episode, we are just going to focus on the first section, which is young people who vape.
Speaker 3: We could almost do a whole episode on each of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And interestingly the campaigns are really different, but obviously the Delias focuses mostly on young people. And what I found super interesting is what the government said about how it is approaching the messaging of this campaign for young people. So, Sam, I just first want to run a test. What do you think of when you think of traditional nicotine ads?
Speaker 3: So I think firstly of the imagery that goes on packets of cigarettes. Is that really kind of stark imagery of people hooked up to tubes or they've got disfigured body parts, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Blacktoes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But then the other campaign I really remember is the one where a sponge was squeezed and black tar came out of that sponge, and it was meant to show you what was happening to your lungs if you smoked. I really remember that from kind of broadcast television.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So ads have traditionally gone very hard on the health impacts and showing just how bad your health can get if you regularly, and that clearly worked for a time. You know, we've seen smoking rates have decreased significantly compared to decades ago. But what the government found now is that there is quite a bit of fatigue around that messaging. Essentially, it's not as shocking as it once was, which makes sense when it has been around for decades now. And so what they did is they ran focus groups to understand what would be effective in convincing young people to quit vaping. And what they found was that focusing on those messages of traditional health harms wasn't going to be as effective as focusing on things like addiction and loss of control and the impact on one's mental health and social isolation. They were found to be a lot more effective than traditional health messaging.
Speaker 3: And you know what's really interesting about that is we covered the new betting campaign for the Australian government last year and there's really similar themes in that one as well, of social isolation, of the social impact of what you're doing. That's clearly strike a nerve with people exactly.
Speaker 2: And in a press conference yesterday Federal Health Minister Mark Butler explained a little more about this. He said, quote, young people are often quite shocked if they start vaping because of a bit of peer group pressure, and then they're shocked by the time they realize that they're addicted. They're really struggling with this and that is the focus of these ads.
Speaker 3: Really interesting and so that building on an already existing influencer campaign, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it follows the first phase of an influencer led anti vaping campaign that launched earlier this year.
Speaker 1: You might remember it.
Speaker 2: We definitely covered it on the Daily OHS and it included people like cricketer Lise Perry, Olympic diver Sam Fricka who was very big on TikTok, definitely on my for you page, and content creator Ella Watkins. Now, yesterday the government also gave us some data on how effective that campaign has been, and they said that the influencer content has been viewed nearly eight million times across ten videos and posts, with nearly six hundred and eighteen thousand and likes and more than nine hundred comments. And yesterday, during that press conference I mentioned earlier, Butler was asked if tax payers got their value for.
Speaker 1: Money out of that campaign.
Speaker 3: Interesting question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that there is some hesitation about whether the government should be focusing on TikTok as a platform to spread their ads. But Butler said, quote, this is the space that young people are getting their information from. Frankly, those are the people young people are listening to, not me so much, unfortunately.
Speaker 3: And there's a kind of an error of disappointment in that state. I like that the federal Health Minister standing up there and going young people just aren't listening to government, But that itself is probably not a particularly new idea, and he's probably just conceding the state of play. Now. We know that advertising can make a difference, but the other thing that can make a difference to rates of vaping and smoking is the law, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: You might remember at the start of this year that new laws banning the import of all disposable vapes aim into effect. And that word disposable is important because now there is further legislation currently before Parliament to ban the importation, manufacture, supply and commercial possession of all non therapeutic vapes, so not just disposable ones, but reusable ones as well that are non therapeutic. Now, therapeutic vapes is important to note. Purchase through a pharmacy would still be permitted in Australia, so if you have a prescription for a vape, you can still access it through that way, but really cracking down on kind of the black market of vapes in Australia. Now, this bill is due to be voted at the end of the month, so where in June. Now it's due to be voted at the end of June, and it's due to come into effect from the first of July. So that timing is important because it's really coming down to the last minute.
Speaker 3: Billy, before we close out this episode. Has there been any negative criticism of this campaign? I know it only came out yesterday, it's still early days. Have we heard from the opposition?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it did only come out yesterday, But I did reach out to the shadow Health Minister who is Rustin, and her office got back to me basically saying that advertising is great and is important, but what's more important is effective enforcement and making sure that these laws that they are introducing are actually.
Speaker 1: Being enforced in practice.
Speaker 2: And as we know, vapes are so readily accessible at the moment for.
Speaker 3: Young people and even the disposable ones that are supposedly banned.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and so they say that there needs to be more effective enforcement efforts to really combat this rise. In terms of other criticism, I have seen some commentary online about the cost.
Speaker 1: Of this campaign.
Speaker 3: How much was it?
Speaker 2: So it's sixty five million dollars and it will be in place from now until the end of twenty twenty four, So that's sixty five million dollars over six months. And I'm sure at the end of that six months will have more of an understanding of how effective this has been and if it is going to result in a decrease in how many young people are vaping at the moment.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for explaining that, Billy. It's going to be super interesting to see how effective these campaigns are over the next six months and whether that sixty five million, and the messaging, the unique social messaging is going to move the dial on vaping and smoking in Australia. If you want to watch the ad. We put a post up about this story yesterday and one of the slides of the post is the little ad spot that's been released. Now before we go, we've just come off a long weekend, but Billy, you and I didn't take a break. We published two episodes, two more podcast episodes over the break, and I thought this was a good chance to remind people of that as they perhaps see them a bus or train on their way back to work on this Tuesday morning. Now, the first one is a must listen for anyone who wants to brush up on their understanding of tax because it's nearly the end of the financial year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually think that this is one of my favorite episodes that we have ever done.
Speaker 3: Wow, you are boring, haha, Well.
Speaker 2: It was because one part that we had so much feedback on is when you and I explained Sam how tax brackets work. And I think there are a lot of misconceptions around that. I'm sure people listening you've probably heard someone say that you never want to be earning just above a tax bracket because they think that you're going to be taxed way more than if you were just below, and we explain why that is completely wrong. And I don't know if we've ever had so much feedback on a section of the podcast.
Speaker 3: Interesting. I'll put a link to that episode in today's show notes. I'll also put a link to yesterday's episode, and that's when you and Emma talked about the push to abolish lower pay or junior wages for those between eighteen and twenty, and that's when they're legally paid less than the minimum wage. It is also a must listen episode. There's so much in there that I didn't know, so I'll put those two links in today's show notes. You can also just find them in the podcast feed that you're on right now. Thanks so much for listening with us today. We'll be back again tomorrow.
Speaker 1: My name is Lily Madden and I'm a proud Aarunda Bunjelung Calcuttin woman from Gadigl Country. The Daily oz acknowledges that this podcast is recorded on the lands of the Gadighl people and pays respect to all all Aboriginal and torrest rate, island and nations. We pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries, both past and present.