Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Midweek we do midweek scores, give us a chance to look back on the first half of the week so far Monday, Tuesday and a little bit of Wednesday, and see how we're doing so far. Are we winning the week or we losing it? Let us know how you're doing textas show four seventy five three one oh four three. Let me tell you about the man in the corner today who is not the man he always is, poor Jack Post. When he came in this morning, the head was bound. There was a sad man shuffling at the studio. Every morning when he comes in, he bounces in. There's a Jack Post bounce, I call it. He's a happy, go lucky guy when he turns up here. But this morning sadness, sadness in the eyes. Tell everyon what's happened to you?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 4: It's a complete whitewash this week.
Speaker 5: And I'm four kneeled down, Oh Jack, I said, at six o'clock this morning, I've been defrauded. My account has been compromised, and I rang the bank two hours on the phone trying to get to the right department.
Speaker 3: This is not acceptable. Is that you obviously can't name your bank. That is wonderful.
Speaker 2: I want to be disgusting, isn't it? It should be you've been you've lost money, someone's broken into So I finally doesn't want to say that it's millions.
Speaker 5: I finally had someone tell me, oh, you need to be at the disputes department, but they've gone home for the day.
Speaker 4: They went home at five four thirty.
Speaker 2: People get defrauded at midnight. Find out also that that's not good enough.
Speaker 5: Then on Monday, I said I had left my sports jacket on my Virgin flight home from the Gold Coast. Called them. They said, still hasn't come in. Sometimes it takes a few days to come in. You know what, though, when we do find it, it might not be in Melbourne because it's been flying around on the plane.
Speaker 4: It could be anywhere.
Speaker 2: So how you meant to get it back? I heard the song for Sarci on the floor. It's Forsanci in the overhead locker. Very sad that that gold one. Isn't it that you weren't the weekend.
Speaker 3: Millions? The Massachi jacket? What where are the other losses coming in? Man?
Speaker 5: Yesterday? I got cut off in my street and I hunked. The guy was very angry already with everything else going on. Then I pull up of my house. He pulls up in front of me. It's my new next door neighbor's brother. I've been trying to make a good impression with my new neighbor. We want to be friends with them. And then we awkwardly the wow wow.
Speaker 4: The number four.
Speaker 5: As I'm going putting myself off to bed, thinking there can't be anything wrong to go wrong anymore. The day is over, It's all done. I opened the laundry door and the hinges popped off, honestly, like a cartoon. A screw bounced out of the hinge at me and hit me. And now it's projectile, and now it's hanging off just the top hinges.
Speaker 2: And was it Clintos to go? Did a lot of you installation? Was this one of your your handyworks.
Speaker 5: I do have a lot of handiwork over the house that is falling apart. But Clintoss, if you're listening, and I know he's a big fan of gold in the show, you did those laundry doors.
Speaker 4: Boy, you did those laundry doors.
Speaker 2: Schemes of her like a Friday sort of job out of it when he was just rushing to get out the door on the weekend, not GoF Friday.
Speaker 4: So now the laundry dolls hanging off her tingers.
Speaker 3: She got a wait to do that? What's happened to the bookcases from last week?
Speaker 4: Oh that's still on the to do list?
Speaker 5: Well, that means such a busy day of losses yesterday I couldn't assure.
Speaker 2: And when I spoke to you, you were doing a very unjacked thing. You were waiting to get some food somewhere. What were you comfort eating?
Speaker 3: Where were you?
Speaker 4: I took myself to Nando's mid mid cool.
Speaker 2: I heard him go, thank you having some food somewhere.
Speaker 3: Nando's warms are sold as it's always there for us. Nando's, What did you have dinner.
Speaker 4: For one with a double chicken, pillar and chip?
Speaker 3: Ah. Luckily I had some money left in the bank account.
Speaker 2: You can play that awful You've got no money for a Nandos.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell breakfast show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian, I'm also losing the week. I have a bicycle shop. Rain and Mic sales don't when he go together. That's why you need to learn from these mixed businesses. Bike shop that also does I don't know kebabs or umbrellas. You work it out, but I would have a look around the bike shop. What can you do with those pumps? Can you pump up yoga balls or balloons? If you can do burger and tax returns, anything's possible, my friend.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and you have a look around.
Speaker 2: Today, see what else you can do to not be so specialist there. I'm also losing the week. Do you know what I think any parent listening right now, you might have just dropped the kids off the score. And I'm sure you can relate with this. One of the biggest running battles you have with your kids is about phone usage. It is just a daily squabbing and battle because as adults we're all addicted to phones. I've just been to the toilets here, just walked into one of the sales guys who has actually had his face in his phone as he's walking.
Speaker 3: Into the toilets. He can't even put it down to have a pee.
Speaker 2: I mean's he gonna have a one handed pe or he's taking He's got a book on there that he needs to read when he sits down.
Speaker 5: You do see that at urinals, people using their phone and scrolling while they're peeing.
Speaker 3: We're literally just like taking off.
Speaker 4: I know you do what we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I sit pats it. They do use many use it, and.
Speaker 2: To us, phones are everywhere we as adults are struggling to it's like we work for the phone, isn't.
Speaker 3: It's like it's an addiction.
Speaker 2: And then when you when you see a message ping up there you get a little window from release and oh I'm important to somebody, somebody who sent me a message. So anyway, we've got teenage kids. They're growing into that world and it's insiduous everywhere. Well, their friends are on it. Anyway, we've had to sort of say listen, by half nine in the evening, phones have got to go off. You go to bed, and they're like, no, no, no, I like to have there and they do the old case you can't go to sleep.
Speaker 3: I listened to a meditation podcast. Is that right?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, have it for meditation.
Speaker 2: So anyway, we've said half nine now curfew, and they were going, well, it just feels like you don't trust us. Well, I don't trust that you can self regulate because we've tried this, and I've tried the app. You know you can do screen time, so I can now see. And I saw what they've been using for the last couple of weeks, and it's like they're doing a shift like an this. If you can't get this right, it's going to be even worse. You try and study and do well work. So so phones, phones have to come downstairs. No, no, no, no, you.
Speaker 3: Have to trust us.
Speaker 2: I went, okay, all right, but I said, you know, we tried that, so yes, I said, look, phones, I'm going to take your phones. And then in the morning when you get up, the phones are downstairs in the kitchen. You don't need them overnight. So anyway, they do all this and I think in my youngest one, Lois, I think she's she's given all this too easy.
Speaker 3: There's no fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going to bear, turn the light out, say good night to my wife, and I'm lying there in the dark.
Speaker 3: When you're okay, wind about something went, I'm going to go upstairs on the check.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: I could hear thudding around up what is going on? I go up there. There's a glow from.
Speaker 3: Under the door.
Speaker 2: Normally I knock, you know, because I tell the kids, you need to knock if you want to go, and mom and dads are okay, I don't knock. I go flying in and I went, gotcha. She's she has a hidden secret phone I don't even.
Speaker 4: Know phone.
Speaker 1: Her face and.
Speaker 2: The phone jumped out of her hand or the phone went I'm getting out here.
Speaker 3: I'm just a phone. I don't want to get caught in this. And I slammed the light on our When they.
Speaker 2: Do this in prisons from now, I'm not gonna have to do a mattress search.
Speaker 3: Haven't even tossed the room whatever they do.
Speaker 1: She had a hidden contraband phone that I.
Speaker 3: Had when I moved out here, and then hiding a draw somewhere.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, smart, this is I mean, so, if there are any mums and dads listening that I've got a better system that can somehow regulate the kids phone's usage. I'm seriously My wife and I googling articles trying to work it out every day.
Speaker 3: It is really tough.
Speaker 2: If there are any mumbles and dads who've got a good system, please let me know. And also there needs to be some consensus, because what happens is you say one thing, they go well, Marie, Mom and dad, they don't. They're not uptight like you. You feel really judged as a parent, you know. Do please let me out if there's any mums or dads can help this basic white dad out ninety four one four one oh four three. But yeah, I lost yesterday at that moment with a contraband phone. It's a whole new level.
Speaker 1: I'm not equipped the Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast.
Speaker 3: So I need some help. You need some advice ago.
Speaker 2: I've got thirteen year old and fifty year old daughters and it's a constantly about a phone usage, and you get bored of your own voice having to go at them, and it affects your relationship. I generally want to know this morning if you have any hard and fast rules, tried and tested methods of trying to control their phone usage. It's hard because we didn't have this, thankfully growing up. I don't envy them at all. I actually feel sorry for them, I really do, because it's insiduous.
Speaker 3: Everywhere they go, their friends are all on it.
Speaker 2: Even when the mates come around to hang out, they're sat next witch on the couch, but they're on their phones. Whereas when we had friends came round, you would go and do stuff because you didn't have phones. I wonder if we had phones growing up, we probably would have found it really hard. And so they don't hang out together as sisters. They don't watch TV together in their own little worlds like we are as grown ups.
Speaker 3: You see people walking.
Speaker 2: No one can walk down the street anymore, just be bored or just see what's around. We're all on our phones, aren't We just wanted to be distracted or avoid something or other. So yeah, I need to know how we deal with this with the kids, so they see to take some advice this morning, Olivia.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Bhie, Good morning Christian.
Speaker 3: How are you? I'm good? So what do you do? How old are you? Kids?
Speaker 6: So I've got a ten year old and a thirteen year old, and my thirteen year old plays a lot of soccer during the week, and you know, there's no time to socialize, there's no time to interact as a family. So I've just put screen time on both their phones. So sorry, The ten year old has an iPad and the thirteen year old has his iPhone. So from ninetem to seven am there's no screen time and conveniently on the weekend, there's no Wi Fi at home, I switch it off. There's something wrong, you know, I say, there's something wrong. They're building houses and they're putting in BN and there's so many issues with the electricity and blah blah, and they have no idea how.
Speaker 2: I tried all that and their kids, you know, I turned it off once so that I found that, just turned it on, and then they changed the password.
Speaker 3: I had to ask, well, I told you funny, you don't think it's really funny. Here tell me the thing.
Speaker 2: And they've just laughed even more, and I went seriously, I begged my own kids to keep with a new password.
Speaker 3: Screwed up.
Speaker 5: This is half the challenge, isn't it. Because kids are so savvy with technology that anything you try to do to them they can outdo.
Speaker 3: You're dealing with wizards. Y.
Speaker 6: I also forget the charger on the way to soccer, so he'll be on the way to soccer, we'd be going to training because he trains four nights a week. He's in MPL, so pretty full on. And he'll say to me with my charger from my friend, my friend.
Speaker 3: That your grandma's have those building projects.
Speaker 4: A char.
Speaker 6: So I just conveniently forget it, and so it's kind of it's worked. But for me, it's like, I find it really hard to sit there and say, look, let's play chess tonight. Let's you know, have family.
Speaker 4: Against the internet.
Speaker 2: I mean to a kids, we're more boring, Olivia. We're more boring to a kid, aren't we? Than their phones? The phones are interesting. The've got everything on their phone and you know you're trying to pitch chess to them, or I do the thing.
Speaker 3: Let's just have a chat. They go, they do this, they do this right, sat on the phone down? What do you want to chat about? And I talked for a living. But even I get performance anxiety.
Speaker 2: You know when you get the cash machine, you putting that pink and you do the guy behind you seeing it?
Speaker 3: What's that night?
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast, Christian.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely winning the week.
Speaker 2: I've scored a private tour of Amy Stadium before Elton John's show on Saturday.
Speaker 3: You're lucky.
Speaker 2: Think that's amazing, get backstays access to see all that as well.
Speaker 3: It's an incredible show. Hopefully we'll be here to do it as well.
Speaker 2: It looks like he's canceling New Zealand shows to get ready for Saturday night. You'd like to think he's trying to get a week of recovery.
Speaker 4: He didn't say that.
Speaker 5: That's a bit of a middle finger to New Zealand Toys.
Speaker 2: Just obviously I'd rather to come back in a year's time when I can appreciate new Land a bit more and it's a bit healthier.
Speaker 3: You know. He just feels like he's obviously it's a long tall he said, he's breaking. He's an old he's seventy two.
Speaker 2: You know, we've seen him. He's up on there for three hours banging those keys. All right, So trying to take advice this warning. What I can do Any advice you've got for are denning with the kids and the phone addiction, one must call this hour then, Sonya.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Good morning Christian.
Speaker 3: All right, Sonya, so what do you do? How old are you kids?
Speaker 7: First of all, so kids are fifteen, twelve and six, right.
Speaker 3: Okay, and the problems with the six year old are the worst ones.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, it is. No So the problem obviously with the fifteen and twelve, mostly fifteen, they will tear the house apart looking for the.
Speaker 3: Phone, like give him a fixed man.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, So we solved the problem. We went to Bunning and got us safe.
Speaker 3: And dropped it on the phones.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and we locked them away every night and they can't get them till morning.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm going to do.
Speaker 4: A safe. Well, we got here, we got one here. We've got to say he's sonya.
Speaker 3: We don't know that. We don't know the number.
Speaker 5: I set the code on it. About a year ago. We locked our sound guy used to use an air.
Speaker 2: Horn irritate, so I locked it in the safe and we don't know what the numbers. This feels like one of those lame radio station competitions where they looked the safe.
Speaker 3: The problem was they can't remember the code. Crack the safe, win the tickets.
Speaker 7: Oh no, it's get a safe and problem solved. We're been doing it for six months and the safe's big enough to sit their laptop in.
Speaker 2: So well, I know, I'm obviously not there in the morning, and I should be the only one who have the codes. How did they open the safe in the morning.
Speaker 7: Well, you can also get one that has a key that opens as well as the code, so you could always get They.
Speaker 3: Get that on a soap bar. You know, I've seen this. I'll come back wonder they got oxyocetily welding.
Speaker 2: Gear and that busted open and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: That's a great idea, Sony. I'm going to try that one. OK. I let you know how I get on. But that's how.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate, No bother the christ John on All Breakfast Show podcast