Speaker 1: Gooda Peter, Hell are you here? Welcome to you and saying nothing yet. In the movie podcast, We're our chack to a movie lover. I've been a classic O beloved movie. They haven't quite gotten around a scene until now. And today's guest comedian Lizzie who.
Speaker 2: Do you really think you have a chance against us? Mister cowboy?
Speaker 1: Open the pod bay doors, Hell.
Speaker 3: I'll have what she's happens.
Speaker 1: Happening right now.
Speaker 3: Don't see nothing.
Speaker 1: Lizzie, who has been absolutely storming at on the trained comedy scene.
Speaker 4: She came quite late.
Speaker 1: Than most people, to be honest. A lot of people start out of school these days. They do raw comedy, they do class clowns, and they're into it.
Speaker 4: Where Lizzie she was working, she was.
Speaker 1: Working out in the wild, gaining life experience. And I first saw her on stage about five years ago now, and you just knew she had some magic about her. She is dry, hilarious, really whip smart, and I've done many festivals around the country with her.
Speaker 4: I've seen her at the.
Speaker 1: Melbourne National Comedy Festivals, the Fringe Festival where she's been killing it with her solo shows, and she's just kind of a joy to be around.
Speaker 4: She also was in a.
Speaker 1: Writer's room for the development of seasons two and three on How to Say Married, where she was such a brilliant presence to have in the room.
Speaker 4: I really love any.
Speaker 1: Chance I get to hang out with Lizzie, and today is no exception. I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm Lizzie Who and my three favorite movies are Imitation Game.
Speaker 5: You really think that bend it?
Speaker 3: Like Beckham.
Speaker 6: All I'm saying is there is a reason why Sporty Spice is the only one of them without a fella.
Speaker 3: And I think any of this step up franchise and that's so lame.
Speaker 7: I told you she was screw with this up.
Speaker 3: But up until last night, I had not seen this is spinal tap.
Speaker 2: Hello. My name is Marty de Bergie. I'm a filmmaker. I make a lot of commercials.
Speaker 8: That little dog that chases the covered wagon underneath the sink that was mine. In nineteen sixty six, I went down to Greenwich Village, New York City, to a rock club called the Electric Banana. Don't look for it, it's not there anymore. But that night I heard a band that for me redefined the word rock and roll. I remember being knocked out by their exuberance, their raw power and their punctuality. That band was Britain's now legendary Spinal Tap. Seventeen years and fifteen albums later, Spinal Tap is still going strong and they've earned a distinguished place in rock history as one of England's loudest bands. So on the late fall of nineteen eighty two, when I heard that Tap was releasing a new album called Smell the Glove and was planning their first tour of the United States in almost six years to promote that album, well, needless to say, I jumped at the chance to make the documentary the if you Will rockumentary that you're about to see.
Speaker 1: It's fair to say there are few comedies that have had the cultural impact and influence as nineteen eighty four's rock classic This is Spinal Tap. The Rob Rana directed documentary Sorry Rockumentary, Sorry Mockumentary was unlike anything that had been done before, setting the path for the Office wal Car, the Dewey Cox Story, Parks and Recreation, and countless others. This, of course, is on top of the Christopher Guest driven comedies Waiting for Government, best in Show, A mighty Wind, and plenty more. This is spinal Tap, basically invented a genre filmmaker Marty de Berghie follows Britain's loudest band, Spinal Tap on their fateful North American tour. It begins with hopes high, but as the backlash to the cover artwork on their new LP Smell the Glove amps up the girlfriend, the lead singer, Davidson Huggins played by Michael McLean, arrives. The result is rock and roll chaos, rock and roll glory. Lizzie, who have you amped yourself up to eleven to be here today?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: And should?
Speaker 3: I should be doing all the tongue out the cans.
Speaker 5: I should have worn my hair big. Yeah, I'm amped to be here.
Speaker 4: Well, welcome.
Speaker 1: You are one of the busiest working comics in the business today, so I appreciate you one watching the movie and then coming to talk about it, particularly this movie, because this is a movie that comes with an ounce of pressure.
Speaker 9: There is.
Speaker 1: This has come up many times as people's you know and fellow comics favorite you know three films. It is iconic that it has a huge legacy and you know, I won't lie, I'm a touch nervous about you know how you might react. We don't want, I don't want to hear your reaction just yet. But why hadn't you seen this is spinal Tap? And what did you know of it?
Speaker 3: Well? I definitely heard of it, but yeah, I just I don't know why I haven't watched it. I don't know if you heard up top, one of my favorite movies is the Step Up franchise. Maybe this is spinal Tap and my likes don't cross over, but that there is a lot of pressure now that I didn't know that this movie had come up.
Speaker 5: In your podcast.
Speaker 3: But yeah, maybe I hope I'm the person to do this movie.
Speaker 4: Just I'm sure you are.
Speaker 1: I got no doubt, and if not, we'll do an edit job on it and we'll come up. Trust me. Let's talk about your three favorite films, because we do want to get stuck into about this is spinal Tap, but imitation game Benedict coming Back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: And he invents a computer that detects uh, yeah, the Spies, yeah.
Speaker 4: Basically and help end the yeah, the World War two, And I just.
Speaker 3: Remember watching it going I had no idea about this story and I think now he's on one of the notes, the.
Speaker 4: UK notes, right, the Queen if already have that.
Speaker 5: And it's Benedict Kumberbatch.
Speaker 3: So I just remember watching that movie going wow, that was really inspirational and it was like, I don't know, sat in her tie, like he was gay and they just didn't accept him for who that was he was, even though he had all this like smarts and intellect and yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And Kieren Knightley was yes, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you love a true story? Oh yeah, lean into true stories?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I love.
Speaker 3: A true story. I read a lot of nonfiction. I read a lot of biographies and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so my mom, for some reason, as soon as you put based on the true story, she obviously isn't the only one, because obviously it happens to a lot, even when it's like the Coen Brothers famously did it with Fargo where they said based on the true story, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: Which I love that they did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, that is a that is a cracking filmy Uh, well played and bend it like Beckham, Oh.
Speaker 5: No, the Kia Knightley, you put them together.
Speaker 1: You discovery certain something maybe did you know.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I did see it once at a market in London. Yeah, so I don't know that's a claim to fame. Maybe she was buying flowers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine nightly buying flower.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, she was buying flowers.
Speaker 5: Yeah I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't really realize that that I picked.
Speaker 4: Who were the flowers for?
Speaker 1: To get the lean over? As she wrote on the card, did you see that?
Speaker 5: Probably just for her house?
Speaker 1: Come about saying thanks for being yea from yeah ination game?
Speaker 3: But yeah, I loved I love Bennette Beckham as a kid. I think I must have watched that as a teenager because I grew up playing a lot of sport and like I grew up, like my first sport that I played was rugby union because my brothers played it.
Speaker 5: And but then I wasn't I was the only girl in the team.
Speaker 3: No one really accepted, Like my team accepted me and the club accepted me. But like any time that I would go to a match or anything, they'd be like whispers.
Speaker 5: Like, oh there's a girl on the team. Oh my gosh, there's a girl on the team.
Speaker 3: And I just I played one year because I felt like sou out of my dab. I loved it, but I was like, no, I've got to fight another sport. I've got to find a girl sport. But I just love Bennett like beckhamcause it's like that whole you know, female sport camaraderie. They're winning, like yeah, and then there's a cultural element as well. Not that I experienced any of that, but I just really enjoyed that film and I've watched it, yeah a lot of times.
Speaker 1: Well, we were recording this the night after I had quite a fiery debate with my good friend Stephen Price. Oh yeah project about the AFLW. So, I mean how and the point I made was, I really, my sisters are both AFL mad. They able to have loved the unity. I'm not sure if anything either of them would be any good. Yeah, but they never had a chance, Like we would go to our our you know, to watch for myself and my brother to play, and they would go and work camteing basically. Yeah, you know, so this whole point of you know, whether the AFL w' is up the scratch to AFL men's which is a ridiculous argument. Yeah, and it's fourth or fifth season. It's what it means to girls, Yeah, you had to stop playing at a certain home. What you mentioned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I was eight when I played, and then I went and played netball because I thought, okay, no, I'm not meant to play this, I'm meant to play netball.
Speaker 5: I ended up playing hockey.
Speaker 3: I hated network. I ended up playing hockey for most of my life. But when I was seventeen, So girls, I think in rugby they had to stop at twelve and then they could go back and play in the women's league. And I was seventeen and I went with a school friend and we wanted to play rugby with the women's team, and they said we couldn't play. They're like, you can come and train, but you can't legally take the field because you're too young. You have to be eighteen.
Speaker 4: So you caught in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like yeah, and I'm like, I guess I'll just play hockey, you know, But yeah, it does. Yeah, you just never get the chance. And I watch my niece she plays AFL now, and I've watched her from when she was like ten years old. She's sixteen now, and they are so good, like they've gotten so much better, and just watching them, like I shed a tear sometimes because I'm watching them thinking, oh, wish this was me. I'm seething with jealousy. But they're just playing for each other, they're loving it. Watching them sing the song at the end, Oh, it's just amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's really hard to not watch those games and see what it means to them. I mean, and in the I don't want to make it all about what happened. Yeah, it is on my mind a little bit, But the response I got from people. I got a response from a professional, you know, a sports person who plays you know, absolutely high level in tennis and saying to me, you know, I went to I went to AFL with my dad growing up, and I just I would have played AFL if I if that opportunity is and she's on the professional tennis circuit. From people who are broadcasters in the game, women who are broadcast in the game, who still have these kind of hurdles they are they are trying to jump over. But most of it really was if it was there when I was there, I would have been playing it. Yeah, you know, And some some women who were like, you know, this all came up when I was like twenty nine, thirty thirty one, where I was probably just said a little bit to you know, to other starteah, and so it is all about looking forward. So I can imagine that playing a role in your love of Bend at Light Beckham.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even though I wasn't a soccer player, I just loved like the team camaraderie and and even at school, like you know, the sports girls.
Speaker 5: Were sort of like one thing.
Speaker 3: And you get a bit you're like, oh, sport, Like why why are you spending your weekends playing sport? Like it wasn't something you were like completely proud of like the guys were, you know. So I just I just related to a lot of that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that's your sporting side, theatrical side, your your I'm not sure I haven't seen you dance before, but take us through to Step Up franchise.
Speaker 5: Now set up cheerleading or no, it's dancing.
Speaker 4: It's more dancing.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, and it's just.
Speaker 4: It's bring it on. The cheerleading one.
Speaker 3: Bring it on is the cheer step Up. I think it's going up to like number ten. Yes, it's a very popular format.
Speaker 5: The dance movie.
Speaker 1: Are they equally as good or is there a drop off at a certain point or is it like fast and furious they actually get supposedly better or at least you know.
Speaker 3: I think there were, like there's a couple of better ones, like Step Up to the Streets I think is probably my favorite. And I saw that in three D.
Speaker 1: At the cinema when they work at you really really pops.
Speaker 3: It's just one thing my best friend, and we don't have you don't have a lot of similarities, but it's dance movies is something, and it's funny you run into people that grew up watching films, like you know, went to high school in the nineties. There was this real dance genre thing, like there was a step up Save the Last Dance, Yeah, honey, Like there were all these dance movies that came out ugly.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, it's just like late nineties, early two thousand yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, we'll step up. He's two thousand and six, actually, yeah, carey, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Time is a weird the.
Speaker 5: Concept in my twenties there so.
Speaker 4: Is this the birth of Channing Tatum?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's in it, And it's like that classic format of you know, wrong side of the tracks. These kids aren't going to make it. They're taken on the proper dance schools and then they blitz it obviously, and it's great to watch. It's probably a bit like bend At, like Beckham esque.
Speaker 5: At the end they're all winning.
Speaker 3: I love a little sports montage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a bandit for like the movies like Teen Wolf and Wildcats. Was a really horn that was a really good American high school and that was you know, it's worth seeing. Actually it was. You know, she's like a single mom who you know, is a obviously a woman trying to coach you know, American football and college takes it because she's a you know, she's a woman. And she finally gets like the worst team in reputation wise and their misfits obviously, she whips them in the shape and it's it's like I reckon you love.
Speaker 5: Yes, I would love that.
Speaker 1: Check that out, all right. Three films, imitation game, bend It like Beckham and step Up. The whole franchise, every single.
Speaker 5: One, everything one, every single minute.
Speaker 1: Imagine Chennington doesn't stay with them the whole way through. Does he eventually leaves? Is it a revolving cast or is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is there's some repeat cast. But then yeah, I think he eventually leaves, goes on to bigger and better things. Obviously, Magic Mike.
Speaker 5: Not a bad movie.
Speaker 1: Well we will forget that sometimes. Magic Mike. You know it's a Steven Soderberg film, you know. Yeah, the first one was great. I saw the second one. I think my wife went without me. But yeah, good film.
Speaker 3: Great film. I actually saw. I don't know if I this, Yeah, I did.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: I did see that, and it was it was the night before, although it was the night of that. I was living in Sydney at the time, and Gladys said, if you don't have to go out, don't go out. And I and my friend and I were like, if this is the last thing that we.
Speaker 5: Do, we're going to Magic Mike Live.
Speaker 3: And we turned up and we followed this like stream of Taffeta and Hen's parties into this and it was quite the production, like it was like a Spiegel tent, but a lot bigger and higher. It was beautiful and then inside, yeah, it was like a round theater and honestly there it was like a quarter fall that night and it was hilarious.
Speaker 5: It was the best comedy show that i'd seen that year. I was laughing the whole time.
Speaker 4: But some people decide, Okay, well I don't need to go back Cloud. You're right, and there were.
Speaker 1: Just just the horn dogs.
Speaker 3: I wasn't quite peak horn dogs because I got tickets at the back. I got the cheapest tickets, but I did pay my respects to the ladies at the front. I was like, respect to you. You know who you are. I'm going to get a front rower.
Speaker 5: Magic Live.
Speaker 1: This pandemic has been hard on all of us. Yeah, whatever gets you through. Yeah, if you double backs, you enjoy your magic market. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was really fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll tell you what is fun. This movie we're about to discuss Lizzie Who. Lizzie Who. It's a movie from nine to eighty four Starrying Christopher guest Who. So I didn't direct it. Robraina directed it, but he wrote it along with Harry Shearer Legend Harry Shearer or Legends, Michael McKean and Robraina obviously appears in it. Also cameos Willard Frand Dresser, Billy Crystal, Bruna Kirby. I have to ask it one of the one of the biggest legacy comedies of all time. Lizzy, this is Spinal none eighty four. Did you enjoy it?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I loved it? Yeah, I really, I really loved it.
Speaker 3: I see this sense of relief on your face. I know when friand Dresser walked out.
Speaker 5: I was like, there's friend Dresser. Yeah, and my.
Speaker 3: Boyfriend was watching it with me and he's like who would I like, friend's mine the Nanny and he's from the UK. I don't know if they got the Nanny. He didn't watch The Nanny growing up.
Speaker 4: I thought mister Sheffield would have been Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I really enjoyed it. It's so funny. And as someone who's done level in Level two improvs I did. I was like, this has to be improvised. Yeah, some of those scenes You're like, oh, this is just classic people topping each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, one of the great things about it which I love And this is like again I mentioned it in the intro, but nothing like this had been done before.
Speaker 4: We're so used to this now.
Speaker 1: The Office obviously with the probably the biggest example of somebody really running with this idea outside of Christopher Guest and these guys themselves, but you see it. The influence of this movie is so profound. I think I said it created its own genre. But what I love about the improv and know I'll get you to speak to it a bit. It's not about somebody. They're not trying to outdo each other with punchlines as such. Is actually they are kind of really in the moment. They're not they're really helping each other, which is improvs about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a classic yes, and like even in that like the drama, the drama scene where they're like, oh, how did you drummer die or whatever they do, but they're just like going, I think an improv I've done a bit of improv. But they have this theory where you go from like instead of just going A to B, go A to C, T, D E F, like with your points, and that.
Speaker 5: Is like a classic situation where they do that.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, yeah, this happens, and then oh he spontaneously combus and it's yeah, it's just a classic improv scene and they're just like, yeah, yeah, this is this is what it is. And I can imagine that they're in the scenes they would have said, Okay, we need to get here, Yeah, you just do it how you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, yeah, and they apparently had no idea what questions Marty de Bergi.
Speaker 4: Marty is a Mardy de Bergi.
Speaker 1: The name comes from a combination of Martin Scorsese, Brian Depalmer, Steven Spielberg, and I think that another Italian director who is less familiar with but then e at the end, I'm not sure it's Felenial whoever it is, but they had.
Speaker 4: No idea what questions he was going to ask.
Speaker 1: But occasionally they would say to him, as you can imagine, I could just ask me, ask me this question and they would like, and you know so, and they shot hour, like over one hundred hours. This is on film, so this is one way they're shooting on video and that's it's nice and cheap. They're shooting on film, which is expensive, and so to get those sometimes where it's one take people in proing is pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I just thought it was really funny, and you know, I did inspire a lot of other shows. This, I feel is like a very stripped back version, like you couldn't spend like I did, spend the first ten minutes going what's going on? What's happening here? I'm not sure Oh, I get it.
Speaker 4: I get it. Yeah, because it's right.
Speaker 1: It's more subtle in a way, sob and there are some classic like in a way set pieces which will get to and ideas that they clearly had set up.
Speaker 4: But compared to like.
Speaker 1: An American Office, for example, where they are those talking heads, yeah, they are written and they are it's basically they've taken the conceit of the mockumentary but written it, you know. And I'm sure there's improv within those shows as well, but they have still kind of written it to the end of their lives. You know. They do the talking heads. It's a gag. You know, there's a big game and it's great. I really like both the UK Office and the American Office. Yeah, but it's a different thing there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's definitely like monologues, proper monologues that they're doing in those shows.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I just.
Speaker 3: Really enjoyed, Like I don't know how I'd love to see the outtakes of this movie because I can imagine that they just couldn't hold the laughter in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's one part.
Speaker 1: There's one bit which I've heard Rob Rainer say, it was like he was gone and let's maybe have a have a listen to. This is Nigel Toughnell, paid by Christopher Guest at the piano and he's working on this quite a beautiful new song which represents a bit of a new direction for him.
Speaker 2: It's pretty Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 10: I've just been feeling about with it for a few months now.
Speaker 2: Very delicate. It's a bit of a departure from the kind of thing.
Speaker 10: You know, all yeah, Well, it's part of a trilogy, really, a musical trilogy that I'm doing in D minor, which I always find is really the saddest of all keys. Really, I don't know why, but it makes people weep instantly.
Speaker 2: The player.
Speaker 7: It's a hormar.
Speaker 2: It's very pretty, you.
Speaker 10: Know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bark and it's sort of in between though.
Speaker 7: It's really it's like.
Speaker 2: A mark piece.
Speaker 4: Really, what do you call us?
Speaker 10: Well, this piece is called a lick my love pump.
Speaker 1: Apparently Robina loses it because, if you know, it's a pretty hard cut outside off and I've noticed a few times they cut hard out of scenes and I reckon that's it because they're in browing, like you never know when somebody's gonna lose it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that that happens quite a bit, you know.
Speaker 5: Bark Mozart to Lick My Love.
Speaker 1: There are so many little jokes in that, and the performance is so lovely, but it's it's a perfect amount of misdirect of taking you some of your You're listening to the music, going, yeah, this is actually really actually quite nice because the music in this is really it's really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah they're good, and I read that they're like, yeah, they're proper musicians.
Speaker 4: Yeah they know what they're doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: But it's it's so funny, and.
Speaker 1: The bands of that time like this was like pretty like I was. When you listen to it, even outside the movie, if you put the soundtrack on, it's you can drive around in your car and listen to it, and you know, and I should be quite happy driving around and and you know, rocking out a little bit with it. But then you put the words in it, and it just becomes ridiculous. But to be honest, it's not. They told a really fine line I think of of making it believable but being being funny and silly at the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like the genre of the mocking is so ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Like Twisted Sister.
Speaker 1: Kiss One had and this is that famously, so many bands had no idea. Well, Ozzi Osborne like thought it was a real documentary because a real band like this is obviously pre Google. You couldn't like, you know, they watching a band that they had never heard of before. Yeah, I think, you know, the edge kind of I think he weaked watching it because he didn't think it was real, but he kind of thought it feels real like this, like I've been in these situations oh for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and not just to music too, Like I think a lot of I don't know, once people get to this like certain level and they just start demanding things, they become like philosophers and they start thinking that their ideas are like amazing, and this is Yeah, I think it could be yet relevant to a lot of different arts.
Speaker 1: And also this you know, we share the same management team, Lizzie, but you know, I would never I'm not saying our managers are like this. I will say that Tony Hendra, who played in Faith, who's the manager.
Speaker 4: I think he almost holds the whole thing together.
Speaker 1: In a way like one I think is really funny, so good in it, but I like, you know, he's basically playing the manager who's just saying what he needs to say to get the band on the bus basically, you know, and to get the band to their next thing. And the first time he really it kind of starts dawning on you that this guy's obviously, don't you he's at least lying to the band. Is when he says Boston's being canceled, he goes, don't worry, it's not a big college town. When I first watched it as a kid, that line never really never, you know, popped out at me. But knowing that Boston is the biggest college city in the world, you know, it's Harvard, it's Cambridge, you know, it's it's it's huge. That's you watch it as an a lot, you're going to go, oh, yeah, okay, this guy's full of ship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this guy's gas lighting.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But it falls in with these all the things that happen in comedy. Sometimes it's management about naming, your naming a show about artwork that goes with the show. In fact, let's have a listen to the conversation between fran Dresher. She plays Bobby Flackman, the pr agent, And there's being some controversy about the cover of the new LPA Smell the Glove.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, we feel and it seems to be facts that the company is rather down on the cover.
Speaker 2: Is that the case. Yes, you can give it to me straight.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: Listen, they don't like the cover.
Speaker 2: They don't like it, that's certainly straight.
Speaker 9: They find it very offensive and very sexist.
Speaker 2: But what exactly do you find offensive?
Speaker 9: You've put a greased naked woman on all fours with a dog collar around her neck and a leash and a man's arm extended out up to here, holding on to the leash and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it.
Speaker 2: You don't find that offensive. You don't find that sexy.
Speaker 9: That's right, nineteen eighty to get out of the sixties. We don't have this mentality anymore.
Speaker 2: You should have seen the cover they wanted to do.
Speaker 11: I don't care what.
Speaker 2: They want now. This is something and you're going to have to talk to your boys about. Certainly not like.
Speaker 9: I don't think that a sexy cover is the answer for ye albumselves. It doesn't sell because you'll tell me the white album what was that? There was nothing on my goddamn cover.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's also it's really funny. There's also a bit it's aged really well. I mean, I think it's the film Ages has aged quite well, like this is you know, a strong woman saying noah, fuck.
Speaker 5: This this is Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I watched that scene when they say, oh, this is nineteen eighty two, and I'm like, oh my god, how many times do we say it's twenty twenty two now? Yeah, I just that scene is so timeless. And even last night I was having a joke a discussion with someone who who knew someone who's like saying a joke and there, and the other person was like, well, what do you find funny in that? And they were like, oh, this isn't this And then they said, but don't you find that offensive? Like how Like it's it's such a relevant conversation that we're having at the moment.
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely so.
Speaker 1: There's also there's also the actually, did you have a favorite song? Let's go back to the music. Do you have a favorite song or a favorite album title. One of my favorites was the intravenous de Milow I thought, was I loved it. I did love the artwork on Shark Sandwich.
Speaker 5: What was shark sandwich?
Speaker 1: Shark Sandwich is basically just a sandwich with shark circling. It was more cartoony than some of the other titles. And they had that's the one we had the two word review.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like shark.
Speaker 1: Sandwich, more like shit sandwich.
Speaker 5: Oh that is awesome.
Speaker 3: I mean the yeah, off the back of that scene that was the cover with the black just the.
Speaker 4: Black, the black guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then that coming out and then the manager trying to justify it, be like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: Great, Yeah, I love it well.
Speaker 1: And to be honest, I mean, did they see DC's back in Black was basically that I have.
Speaker 4: It might have had an AC DC.
Speaker 3: On the logo on it, but yeah, I think a lot of covers did, like a very minimal There were.
Speaker 1: A few things about this movie that I thought were ahead of its time outside of the actual genre, you know, birth But like they there's a scene and we'll get to the famous eleventh scene, I assume, but he points out that he has a wireless guitar like that he that has any I don't know. I imagine nine eighty four, maybe most people hadn't heard of the idea of a wireless thing. I don't know.
Speaker 4: It might be completely incorrect.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Also the Jack the Ripper musical Saucy Jack. I reckon that gets made now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I reckon someone's made it.
Speaker 1: I reckon Back then it seems like a ridiculous idea.
Speaker 4: But now I don't know, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I'm sure that's been it, like at Edinburgh Fruge something like, someone's done it.
Speaker 1: I think they may have actually played a song, because they do kind of get together every now and then for a benefit or something and play that. And they did release an album in two thousand and nine I think. And also there's a part where they talk about he wants to play his acoustic songs with the London Philharmonic, which happens all the time. The Yeah, well together with orchestras and play their music.
Speaker 3: I just saw an ad for Leo you remember that, Yeah, yeah, and it was like Leoor with symphony orchestra. But you know the Ministry of Sound franchise. Yeah, they do stuff with the orchestra now and people love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's completely did you have a favorite character, do you so? Obviously we've management obviously added the band. Do you have a favorite band? Membay had Nigel Tafnell played by Christopher Guess. He had Derek Small's Harry Shearer and Davidson Havens played by Michael McKean. Obviously had x amount of various drummers who had untimely deaths. Yeah, but did you have a favorite.
Speaker 5: One the guy with the dark hair and the muster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very sure, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that was that was He was the best.
Speaker 1: He always reminds me. I'm not sure if you've watched the Beatles documentary. That was La Peter Jackson's Beatles documentary. It's just about the making of Letter B and it went for like it's you know, he went for four episodes and they all went for two and a half hours each. It was you had to be a real music nerd to jump in on it. But he reminded me of Ringo stars. He basically got Lennon and McCartney, who are the geniuses of the band. And then yet you do also have George Harrison who's trying to basically get in on the songwriting. Yeah, and there's tension between he leaves for a few days and they eventually get him back. But then you got little ringo star who's just happy to be doing his job and contributing to the band.
Speaker 4: As he might.
Speaker 1: And I think that's what Derek Small's feels like that to me. He does his job, his great comic relief. Let's have it. Listen to him in action when this is well, actually, let's play. Let's play. Let's listen to the Stonehenge. There's two parts I want to play. This is this is when they they want a noise maker, something to really you know, get this American tool back on tracks. So they decide to get Stonehenge over full on Stonehenge on stage. And this is when the artist who has put the Stonehenge together takes it to Tony sorry Ian, the manager.
Speaker 2: It looks absolutely perfect.
Speaker 11: I mean it's it's all right proportions, it'll be this color right, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: That's that's just terrific. I mean it almost looks that's like the real thing, got it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, when we get the actual set, when we get the piece, it'll it'll follow exactly these specifications.
Speaker 2: I mean, even these contours and everything. I'm don't understanding, but I mean the actual piece. Well, I mean when when you build the actual piece.
Speaker 6: But this is what you asked for, isn't it what?
Speaker 2: This is the piece? This is the piece?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Are you telling me that this is it? This is scenery. Have you ever been to stone Hinge? The triptics are twenty feet high. You can stand four men.
Speaker 2: Ye, scenery.
Speaker 5: This is what I was asked to build.
Speaker 9: Eighteen inches right here, it's specified eighteen inches.
Speaker 2: I was given this napkin. I mean, forget this, fuck the napkin.
Speaker 1: So then of course they play times they play Stonehenge the song, and they love to I only realize as their in concert live ye, that which I just love it because they It means they probably haven't rehearsed with it, which it was fund funny. It comes down it's much smaller than expected. They go into a little folk tune with the small set of people dancing around.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was the workaround. They're like, okay, we've got this, what are we gonna do? This is my favorite part of the movie was Yeah, this scene with the stone Edge, the whole nap Because I used to work at a graphic design studio and the number of briefs I've got on a napkin or like scribbled on a piece of paper. So I was like, yeah, one hundred percent that happened like with someone just being like, yeah, this is what I want eighteen inches and then you do it and they're.
Speaker 5: Like what what is this? What do you do?
Speaker 3: Like that was so relatable to me. And then just seeing them on the stage with the stone engine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let's ever listen to their reaction after the show, with a beautiful tag from Harry Shearer's Derek Smalls.
Speaker 2: I do not, for one think that the problem was that the band was down.
Speaker 6: I think that the problem may have been that there was a stone nge monument on the stage that was in dangerous being crushed by a dwarf all right, that.
Speaker 2: Tended to understate the hugeness of the object. I really think you're just making much two bigger thing out of it.
Speaker 10: Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea.
Speaker 1: It's just a great line, a perfect line to kind of represent what I was mentioning before. They're not going for huge punch lines. That is great improv where you're you're actually listening, as opposed to thinking how can I make the best yeah boom tish ever here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just yeah, that would have been the perfect point in an improv scene where the person comes across with their arm. They were like, yep, nze, that's it. Yeah, yeah, it's just so funny.
Speaker 4: Did you.
Speaker 1: I also love the you know, the scene was one of my favorite scenes where where they came out of the cocoons, which obviously this wouldn't have been the improvised this been would have been written. I think the cocoons let's call them cocoons or alien kind of eggs, And and Nigel and Dave come out of theirs and they play the song they're fucking out, but there.
Speaker 4: His traps, he's trapped in it.
Speaker 1: He's still trying to play guitar, but he's also banging on the egg. There's the tech guys trying to work out the electronics. And then he's got he's got like a torch, he's like a flame torch, and he's trying to somehow get it open with and they just time it perfectly the right At the end of the song, they go back in as he comes out with that, realizing that they've gone back out, you know, and it's it's it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's perfect. Yeah, there's so many good moments like that. And how how how many times does that happen in a stage show? You like hear all these things like like I went there and then the mic wasn't working and I just had to do it a cappella and there's just yeah, there's so many funny bits.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure what you're like.
Speaker 1: I've been very reluctant to add too much, like other factors to my shirt, my live show, I like to keep it pretty much the meet a microphone because if the microphone sucks up, they can just bring me another microphone. Yeah, but the idea, and that's I've never done theater because I we stand up. If something goes wrong and I'm just doing stand up, I can fix it myself. I can, yeah, as far as if I forget a routine that I was supposed to do, and you know, I can fix it. But when other people are relying on me, or if I'm relying on cues, then it petrifies me.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: Like anytime I think about adding a que in or having a screen or a PowerPoint or something like I'll think about it and be passionate about it for about a day and then I'm like, nah, don't use your words.
Speaker 1: That said, I am considering using one light for my show, upcoming show. Yeah, but I there's every chance I'll listen back to this conversation.
Speaker 3: I go, yeah, yeah, I tell you what a funny YouTube rabbit Hole is is like amateur theater fails where there's a lot of you know, people coming out they haven't got the right dress on or like they're falling over. It's it's good fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm doing that. I'm doing that. The other thing, which I'm sure it's struck a quarter or a nerve with you, certainly is a stand up.
Speaker 4: But it's that idea of these gigs.
Speaker 1: Getting smaller and smaller, or the you know, the corporate the bad corporate gig.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah you ruck.
Speaker 1: Up to because yeah, when they rock up to the place and it's the puppets are headlining, yes over them is well, very funny, but it's also like you can feel good.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you've rocked up the gig where you're going to go.
Speaker 1: Either they're set up badly or they haven't been marketing or not everybody at the workplace knew this was happening.
Speaker 4: Have you have you had a like a horrific corporate.
Speaker 1: Yet, is that? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've had some. Yeah, I've definitely had a couple where I've been I've just been plowing, Like I've got to the point I'm like, I'm just going to plow and I'm going to get off.
Speaker 4: Think of the money head down there is.
Speaker 1: So they go to a military base and this is and we'll get to before we get to the military base, this is all happening of course because David's David's girlfriend has arrived, which is shades of Yoko. Obviously, there's is, you know, probably the biggest influence. I'm sure it's not the only one that you know, have a partner destabilizing a band, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It's it's, it's, it's it's it's one of the very few things that drives the storyline forward in the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, her arrival and yeah, her creating tension within the group. That's like her job and then end up with the manager leaves for a period and then comes back and just gives her this look.
Speaker 5: As I told you.
Speaker 1: So well when Nigel leaves the band. He walked off stage at one point and he gives her that really big look, but you know, and it's you can understand how it can disrupt the flow of a tour, but you kind of also understand that, well, you know, these people's lives and they're entitled to live them. But I think when she starts suggesting costumes and then the idea of what maybe maybe my girlfriend can manage the band as well, you know that you can understand attention, but that they go to a military base because gigs are getting canceled, and it's where we meet Fred Willard, who basically he's one of my favorite people to watch on stage. Salely passed away a few years ago, and he does some stick that he ends up really doing in so many of their productions over the next twenty to thirty years, and it's it's glorious anytime you get to watch Fred will work.
Speaker 4: But this is him upon arrival talking to the band.
Speaker 12: Ah books Stratt, you are a final target.
Speaker 2: I'm Jeanine, this final spinal.
Speaker 12: Tap I mistake. I'm Lieutenant Bob Hookstratt. Welcome to Lindberg Air Force Base. This is your gentlemen's first visit to military facility.
Speaker 1: Yes, find me.
Speaker 12: I start by saying, how thrilled we are to have you here. We are such fans of your music and all of your records. I'm not speaking of yours personally, but the whole genre of the rock and roll and something. All the exciting things are happening music today, and let me explain a bit about what's going on. This is our monthly at Ease weekend. It gives us a chance of gonna let down our hair. Although I see you all have a head start these haircuts a wooden fast military must believe me. Although I shouldn't talk. My hair's get a little shaggy too. Better not get too close to you, They'll think I'm part of the band. I'm Joey.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 12: Shall we go in and I'll show you around.
Speaker 1: You just got so many little throwaways, and I love him so much. There's also the one that was a bit triggering for me was when they nobody rocks up to the LP signing. They finally got the covers going and nobody came. Because I remember doing an appearance a signing, a DVD signing at at ABC store in the city with Pat Brammele and Any Maynard. They were there for Upper Middle Bogan and I was there for representing it. To date, those both those shows went back to back on the ABC for a couple of years, and the ABC on the DVD release said, oh, we've got a new store in Melbourne Central or somewhere and you know, so we're going to you know, if you guys could go there for two hours on a Saturday and this, you know, we'll set you up signed DVDs and you kind of assume that they're going to let people know about it, and it was kind of organized. It was almost like this week and we're like okay, and we rock up and over to two hours, I reckon I sign maybe.
Speaker 4: Eight DVDs and I think he probably signed maybe twelve Up and Middle Bog.
Speaker 1: And DVDs it was, and it's over two hours. There were some points of those two hours where we were just walking around the storm and then my one of my high school teachers walks, now, thankfully this is at a stage where you know, I'm comfortable enough with what I've done, and yeah, you know, it was just that you kind of go, oh, wow, you really struggling. But I've done some other stuff, so it wasn't as awkward as it could have been. But whenever I see Pat or any it's like a war story. It really is like this, And I think they just thought this is back in the day. I think it still happens to an extent where they thought just put it on your socials and then people will come. It's like, that's not how it really works that you do need to actually let people know sign in the store. Is there a database that maybe you can lean into?
Speaker 3: Were you at the back of the store.
Speaker 1: We're inside the store, so thankfully we weren't. But this I always find, you know, I know a lot of people sell merch after after gigs. I'm not sure it's becoming less of a thing or more of a thing. Probably less of a maybe more online.
Speaker 3: Even the thing now is like follow me on find my socials.
Speaker 4: That's the sort of which is perfect because you just put it out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, and that's it.
Speaker 1: But the idea of sitting at a trestle table watching the audience in this entertainment walked by after a show is yeah, that's There's been times I've done and people, yeah, lot, there's been plenty of times when people have lined up and I've been done DV these signings where I was and book signings. You know that I've been overwhelmed with the amount of people who have rocked up. But that was that was not this. That was a very different thing. He really was.
Speaker 3: And just that line to of oh, I love the whole genre, like I've had so many people say I love comedy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's why we picked you.
Speaker 3: I love comedy. And I'm like, okay, the.
Speaker 1: Famous watched me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the famous one. I saw it at the Melbourn Comedy Festival. Oh well, what show was it?
Speaker 1: Oh, you have the one on TV the Yeah you mean you show me on the gala?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's so different thing three and a half minute.
Speaker 1: There's some great lines I do I do love. Also the line it's a fine line between stupid and clever.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, which is so true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some truth in that the shows have been canceled due to a lack of advertising funds, not even of advertising, like of advertising funds. It was lovely. Now there's some fun facts that I mean to be actually honest, there's not like sometimes I have a whole heap of fun facts. This one doesn't have as many because I think most of the stuff that comes out of this that people knowing that they make a thing of is that it was kind of all improvd yeah, which was incredible.
Speaker 4: They shot a whole bunch of.
Speaker 1: It, and that a lot of bands did not realize a lot of people did not realize that this was actually a fake documentary. The people really believed that this was all real.
Speaker 5: And I see that too.
Speaker 3: It took me like a good I knew it was a documentary, but in the ten to fifteen minutes at the start, I thought, what, it's not obvious enough.
Speaker 1: No, it strikes that balance like not being like I said, if it was now, the jokes in a way, they would be sharper, but they wouldn't be as good. The whole thing wouldn't be as good.
Speaker 3: It would be too brightened. I think, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Actually, before we get into a couple of fun facts we got, of course, have to play maybe the most famous. Well, there's two scenes that I think for me that maybe the most kind of spoken about. One is when I can't find the stage. Oh that is a brilliant that is so good, and they seem to be able to everything goes with the right length. Yes, sometimes you want you know, you might feel like you want more, but I reckon they've cut hard to get out of somebody laughing or something, and I feel like this. They keep going back and giving the shackers whatever you call them, and this came back and when they go the full circle and find themselves back with the janitor, Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: That is and the janitor is just like, yeah, so you have to cross through it and do some jogging. You got to do some jogging. They're like, oh, we don't have time for jogging. Oh, that's a brilliant scene.
Speaker 1: And the other one is, of course when they Nigel is taking Marty through his guitars and then the famous iconic spinal tap amp.
Speaker 2: This is a top to you know what we use on stage.
Speaker 10: But it's very very special because if you can see, yeah, the numbers all go to eleven, look right across the board, eleven or eleven, mostly eleven ams go up to ten.
Speaker 2: Exactly does that mean it's louder? Is there any louder? Well, it's one louder, isn't it. It's not ten? You see, most most blokes are going to be playing at ten.
Speaker 6: You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up.
Speaker 2: You're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where? I don't know where exactly. What we do is if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do, put it up to an eleven exactly one loud. Why don't you just.
Speaker 8: Make ten louder and make ten be the top number, and make that a little louder.
Speaker 2: These go to eleven.
Speaker 4: It's so good, it's so good. We mentioned the cameo.
Speaker 1: I think you mentioned Frank Dresser was maybe your favorite, Yeah, which I think is a good call. Dana Carvey was also in there as one of the mind waiters the crystal Yeah.
Speaker 5: What did he say?
Speaker 1: Mime is money is money?
Speaker 3: That is brilliant.
Speaker 1: I do love I'm a big fan of Bruno Kirby. So Bruno Kirby, Good Morning, Vietnam, Godfather Part two, City Slickers. He plays the limo driver. I do love him that he can't he can't quite understand he's telling the story about Frank Sinacha. He's a New York limo driver. He's got these guys from England in his Limo, who are musicians. Of course they're going to love this story about Frank Sinatra, but they just wind the window up. They don't give a shit. And then he's like these guys they don't get it. They get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a good and it was like quite a good story, like and then all of a sudden, the windows just like no mate.
Speaker 1: But it's also that thing of you know, we always think the bands are a fad, you know, and those people who you know, it's almost like a generation gap. That was probably more of a cultural gap than a generation gap. I remember in year eight my teacher, mister Wells was a big Beatles fan, and I kind of like the Beatles as well. I kind of wasn't somebody who would necessarily, you know, trash, you know, like the bands that came before me. You know, I probably owned, you know, a dodgy copy of bootleg copy of Sergeant Peppers.
Speaker 4: But I was a bon Jovi fan.
Speaker 1: That was yeah, right, And I remember like having arguments with mister Wells at bon Jovi were like bigger than the Beatles and so they won't be around, which is ridiculous. And I accept that nobody's as big as the balls. But Bonjo they're still going. Yeah, still one of the biggest steering bands, live bands in the world. And if you want to get a party started, you know, put some Jovi on as far as your anthemic rock. Yeah, So I stand by that, but I remember having debates with him about it.
Speaker 4: Remember, it's just a fad. It's just a fad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So when I watched that, I do think back yeah.
Speaker 3: To that, Yeah, oh that yeah, and that comes up all the time or not. So I mean now where people just get like one song or two songs out. But I remember back in the day for my high school band thing, it was like you're either Pearl Jam or Nirvana. It was that that was the split, and I was like, who who was better? And even though like Nirvana couldn't go on like, that was still an argument.
Speaker 4: I was never quite.
Speaker 1: Sure whether Nirvana obviously not being able to record anymore, what was a disadvantage or an advantage in that debate, Like, is the fact that Pearl Jam got to make so much more music, and you know, you can only make so much great music until maybe there might be you know, o igue that the last Pearl Jam album was great.
Speaker 4: I'm a pillow Jam fan.
Speaker 1: I was probably on the pearl Jam side of that debate, to be honest, but I do love the Nirvana as well. But I wonder if Nirvana had have made Yeah albums, at what point do they tip over the other side? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What point do they start playing the army base.
Speaker 5: If Nevada ever.
Speaker 1: Had When did Nevara release sex Farm?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it could have happened.
Speaker 1: My favorite title of all the songs was Tonight. I'm going to rock You Tonight was one of them.
Speaker 3: Tonight twice in the title is well Tonight Tonight the smashing pub kits.
Speaker 1: They actually yeah, Billy Corgan. Yeah, Like I said, there went really a whole bunch of fun facts. It was slightly sad fact Tony Hendra, who played in Faith, he passed away only lessen a year ago or about a year ago, which is sad obviously, Uh, and I think so. I think he didn't really make a much else after this, but he admitted that he read a memoir. He actually attempted to take his own life the night before shooting began on this spinal tap and he said this is obviously with years of no doubt work and hindsight, but he said, the joy of making that film saved him from his depression.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I said, I really do believe that he in a way holds a lot of the film together. I'm not necessarily saying he's the best thing in the film, but I think he's so important I think to this film. There was also you may have noticed there was some herpes kind of cold saws. Oh yeah, on some of the band. There was a there was a kind of abandoned subplot where there was a female's opening band, and the running.
Speaker 4: Joke was that they'd all slept with the.
Speaker 1: Lead singer and we're getting purpose along the way, which I think we talk about this film aging well. I think it's probably best that it was about I'm not sure at what point I got to feel like they didn't shoot any of it, but maybe they had the idea and they were going to shoot that later. So we're planting these little cold saws, So.
Speaker 3: That's interesting that they just cut that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I said, I think there's not much about this film that kind of I think it's like I said, from the Yeah, some good news for spinal tap fans, which I must have missed when they announced it sequel coming twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: Crazy, it's so good. Do you think it'll be the same.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the same. It's the same.
Speaker 1: They're all still alive, well as far as the main three in the bands and Rob Rainer. Rob Rainer by the way, like this is his first film, so he's an American icon. Even before he starts moving behind the camera. He was like in a massive US sitcom called All in the Family, and so he was almost like a rich you know, Richie canningham Ron Howard style character.
Speaker 4: And then he wants to direct.
Speaker 1: He knows these guys, these guys did they a sketch comedy a sketch for him in a comedy show. He had a show that he I think director or ran called the TV show Yeah think in Canada. These guys come on, they do a sketch and this is all born from that one sketch.
Speaker 3: And so much stuff happens like that, Like one person will do a sketch or a character and then all of a sudden there's a movie or they've got a running yeah show or something.
Speaker 1: And well, Christopher Guest was checking into a hotel once and there was an English band in front of him, checking in before him, and they were arguing about where they left. The managers with the bass player about where his equipment was, and his bass player was saying, I don't know, probably it's maybe at the airport. And they went on for fifteen minutes and and Christopher Guesser said it all came from that and like ten years ten years later, that's when he it all happens, but he just kept it in his head. He said it was the happiest day of his life outside of I think marrying his wife Jamie Lee Curtis that yeah, and the birth of his kids. He said, the happiest day, Like just he just soaked it all in and just knew that it was going to come.
Speaker 3: Back seving this idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's so good.
Speaker 3: And music. I like to think comedians are quite like humble characters, but I think musicians are on another level. I used to when I was at Uni, I worked at a bar and this bar I worked out was contracted to do the bar work at a music festival like Stereosnic one of those, and so we had to put all the artists writers together, and honestly, they were ridiculous they was, Oh, we need to blow up crocodile, We'd like ten bottles of Belvedere. It was just can you imagine asking for that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the famous, the famous on his van Halen asking for Blue Eminem's. Yeah, And it came out later that Eddie van Halen said that the reason he asks for Blue Eminems is to make sure that the promoters had read the contract. Ah, so if there was Blue Eminem's there, he knew they'd read the contract. If they weren't, he knew they didn't. I'm not sure that's revisionism going on, yeah or not. But I like the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do like Yeah, I do like the story. Yeah, I got to look after yourself.
Speaker 1: Well sometimes I mean, yeah, obviously there are ridiculous requests. You feel like you're just making somebody's life harder, requesting a blow up crocodile, whatever it might be. But sometimes it is like I imagine, if you're doing night after night and it basically becomes your home away from home, these are the things that are going to make me feel, so I can be as comfortable as I can. But usually usually comedy you rock up and there's a plate of sandwiches and the plate fruit, happy with.
Speaker 3: The Carmen's music. But the best thing about the writers at this festival. I did it for a couple of years, but anything that they didn't.
Speaker 5: Touch we got to keep.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine that university We had a truckload stuff going back to a sharehouse. It was like our yearly alcohol. Yeah, yeah, it was. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, the amount of times even the project, you will it will be a request. You know, these are what you need to have. And I'm not aware of anything completely out of control. But the bigger the entourage is the bigger the request because they're not just dealing with the artists. They're dealing with they're on and often it's more for their own as to be honest, yeah okay, but yeah, often that you know, it'll be it'll be touched. So you have these, you know, six bottles of wine in the green room afterwards, so good. All of a sudden carry gets so I can do it and that's it. At school, I really can't. Lizzie who this podcast comes with homework and you you are, you are as busy as anyone. You're running around doing gigs, you're appearing on TV shows, so thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Pressure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hope I did it justice.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is there anything you missing anything you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I just oh the one thing I did love the other one thing? What did What did they call the girlfriend at one point an.
Speaker 1: Australian Australian nightmare, an Australian night yeahok, like.
Speaker 4: You look like an Australian's nightmare.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just thought that was so beautiful. I know, such a good description.
Speaker 1: Because I kind of looked at that thought I'm not exactly sure what it means, but it kind of like, yeah, like I didn't I could have. I even thought about it, and I thought, Okay, what are they not that like not being offended at all, Like, but I was just kind of going, what how is that?
Speaker 4: Why does it work? Yeah? It works?
Speaker 1: And I wasn't sure if it was in a Living John kind of thing, because she would have been kind of Xena do yeah, and she kind of had that kind of it was kind of.
Speaker 4: A mixture of Xanadu and maybe and rock you a what.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did think it might have been in Olivia John reference or that they're sort of like speaking down to Australians and like an Australian wouldn't even look that bad. You know. That's that's what I think. But it took me a while, like is she Australian? Is she trying to do it? Like what's happening? Yeah? I just thought that was another beautiful line.
Speaker 4: It kind of came out of the blue, but it was.
Speaker 1: It was perfect. It was perfect. That's a good one. You are not an Australian nightmare. Listen, you are an Australian dream. I encourage everyone to go see your shows. You've been killing it. Do you have anything coming up that you want to shout out?
Speaker 3: Nothing coming up. I'm just I'm definitely starting to work on my news show for festival season next year, so yeah, look out for that.
Speaker 1: It's that time of year you're just don't to get conversations phone call saying what's the show's Yeah, I've got this idea about a woman who's been greased up in a dog collar. That's where I'm going. Beautiful, Thanks Lizzie, it's pretty.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a beautiful piano there Nigel tough Nol with the beautiful ballad Lick my Love Pump, Bring your Tear to the Eye. It really does. Really relieved that Lizzie, who loved this is spinal tap. I was nervous. I was nervous. There's something about comedians being too judgy on comedy that is a little bit. Oh, it's a bit makes me a bit nervous to be honest, and I know comedians don't love doing that. So if Lizzie had watched it and not enjoyed it, I was to be honest.
Speaker 4: And this is the only time I've done this.
Speaker 1: I actually said to her management team, if Lizzie wants to watch it first and then let me know she likes it, and if she doesn't like it, we can bail on the episode. They said, nah, she'll love it. She'll love it, so I never heard back. Even though I gave them a parachute, they refused a parachute. Lizzie watched it. I found out that she loved it when she said that she loved it, and I was bloody relieved. So thanks Lizzie. She is killing it at the moment on stage and screen, and yes, go and support her.
Speaker 4: Support all of our guests, support our.
Speaker 1: Sponsors as well. If you respond on the show, that means they're supporting our show. So if it's a I don't know, an app or a movie that's coming out or whatever it might be, just check them out, check them out. And because they're supporting us, so we can deliver this to you for free, that's right for free. Derek Myers at Casway Studios dot com dot au is the man who stitches all this together and if you're looking to get your podcast up, he's the man to speak to, whether it's in studio here in Collingwood, in Melbourne or remotely. And I know this was an episode Derek, you had been waiting for for quite a while.
Speaker 7: I've been dying to use a certain button on my mixing desk, the Dobbley, And yeah, I've been absolutely hanging for this one. There's so many things out of this film that are still in my vernacular and way of thinking. Yeah, like space, your new friend, like you just have you got a special new friend? Obviously that's that's Derek Smalls's referencing a new girl he's met who probably doesn't know her name. Doubley. Of course. Now I'm a sound engineer. I wasn't back then, but now when someone's being a bit sort of clearly doesn't know stuff, about the tech, but they're still talking about it. I can't help but eventually say, yeah, has it got doubley? And that just lets him know that I don't. I'm not into what they're saying.
Speaker 1: That's a funny little moment, that one, because within it they they again they're not looking at trumping it with a bigger joke. In a way, they just almost just enjoy that moment. I wonder actually if the actress got it wrong or or they were just you know, they were just in character doing their thing. But yeah, very funny.
Speaker 7: But just what they don't do is what makes it, isn't it. Yeah, magic happens, they go it's funny.
Speaker 1: And I'm not comparing Strawy with the guy's in spinal tap. But I remember when we went out for the first time. We shot Strawy having a kick of the football, and my producer said, and I was having shots a goal legitimately, and I was actually kicking most of them, but tightish angle, and I'd just said, okay, now kicks him on the fall. Kicks him on the fall, and I was like, no, no, I'm not going to do that because I want people to believe that this guy could actually play football, not that he's just shaking them, you know. And it was the best thing we did for that character was to actually give him a sense instead of going for the bigger laugh, we gave him a sense of believability. Yeah, and I think that's what And maybe I learned it from these legends, because you're absolutely right. It's not that they're not going for a thousand jokes. They're listening to each other and it's it makes it really believable.
Speaker 7: It really enjoyed Lizzie talking about how people maybe believed it was a real thing. We were talking about some rock bands. It was a thing, like I was there. It was a thing. Remember there was no Internet, yep, And there was lots of aging rock bands that you just didn't know about. Yeah, Like if you ask me who, okay, you know what Judas Priest looked like, I couldn't have told you. Yeah, right, And there's so many of those. It was a thing. The question did come up, not for long. But there was a lot of films you heard about a lot before before you saw it. You didn't see clips of them anywhere.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, and I don't remember. I mean I was nine when this comes out, but I don't really remember it being released, you know, like it's basically the same year it was Ghostbusters, like eighty four to eighty six, but it's yeah, it wasn't. I don't remember that there being a massive It was kind of a cult hit, you know. And in fact, again this is seems to be we say this every second week on this podcast, but it wasn't a hit upon release. It was really I found its life on video when when people would have to pass literally pass these videos around, And what a joy it would have been to watch not knowing that this was a documentary.
Speaker 7: Oh it's a.
Speaker 1: Completely different experience, as funny as it is now and as well as it has aged to be able to go back and watch it unknowingly, it would be such a glorious experience.
Speaker 7: Oh there's a there's a documentary called Mad Dogs and Englishmen which follows Joe Cocker tour on Russell and you've got the piano player in the top, Hatley on Russell, who you know made them all stand in a circle and chance stuff before going on. And it was it was as funny like I used to watch it in the sharehouse and we all said, I go, ah, look at that and they had the cliched groupies and it was really really similar.
Speaker 1: Well, there was I think another doco, Don't Look Back, and the Bob Dylan documentary came out I think not long before this, around this time, and that was I think an influence. And so there was they were dealing in a genre that was gathering steme. It just this was completely made up, which becomes its own genre.
Speaker 7: It's amazing and it's it's there's another genre maybe not a genre, but there's a style of film that in your head, it kind of you assume it was released when you discovered it. It's so time, yes, But like The Blues Brothers, I wouldn't have a clue when The Blues Brothers was made. Yeah, it was just when I discovered it. It started existing, Yeah, eighty four or whatever it was. Yeah, But the same goes with Spinal Tap Yep. I had no idea it came out when it did. I would have assumed maybe a few years later.
Speaker 4: It's so good and exciting.
Speaker 1: So the idea of the sequel is that there is some contractual, a shady contractual obligation that the band still have and they've said very little. It's going to be improvised again, so I imagine, yeah, it will be new songs, and I think it's gonna be like one of those. You got to temper your expectations a little bit. Not that I have faith in these guys in delivering something pretty special, but you know, we've seen with Zoolander two's and these things can cannot always hit pay dirt, but we'll certainly be lining up for it or booking a ticket for it. The Metal Detector was the another one we didn't get to, so of course I remember when I first watched it that was probably the scene that actually maybe laugh the most, you know, because it was this bloody funny. Hey, if you want to get in touch with us here at us nothing yet. We'd love to hear from you, go to the speak pipe, which if you follow the links on our pages, it's like an answer machine machine message and we can hear you. We can hear your actual voice, and we love that. If you're a bit shy, it's got to our email at Yasni Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: And do we have a quicker email this week?
Speaker 7: There I got a I got a nice one from Patria. Patria, and it's it's a nice email suggests it's a suggestion.
Speaker 1: For we love suggestions.
Speaker 7: Yep, suggestion for some possible guests Kate, Tim and.
Speaker 1: Joel oh An over Drive team, Yeah, Kate, Richie and Joel Christy and Tim Blackwell Yeah.
Speaker 7: And Patria is confident that they would love to come on, and they would. And she's suggesting some Monty Python films.
Speaker 4: Oh well, Mighty Python.
Speaker 1: I feels like Life of Brian is the film, and it has been suggested it is certainly on the list. Again, sometimes it's hard to find and we largely deal with comedians, not not exclusively with our actors and musicians on recently, but it's hard to find people who haven't seen a film like this is Smile Tap or Life of Brian and Life I think is the I think the Life of Brian and this is spinal Tap in the conversation for the greatest comedies ever. So certainly, if we can find somebody who hasn't seen Life of Brian in particular, I guesst the Holy Grail I think would have been that conversation as well, we would love to do that as well.
Speaker 7: And she finishes with love the show my hobby and I listened to them together on our road trips.
Speaker 4: Ah, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're listening now, you know, keep your hands on ten and two and drive safe. But thanks for listening to the podcast. And next week we have on the show. It's a live episode. We recorded that the Grapes of Mirth Festival run by Merrick Watts at the Barossa Valley at Separates Field, in a wine cellar in front of an awesome crowd.
Speaker 4: It was packed.
Speaker 1: It was amazing with my good friend Merrick Wats himself and our featured guest is Nazim Hussein. Nazim Hussein who has never seen a movie, a movie that's in my top three from two thousand and four from Alexander Payne, genius filmmaker, Sarrying, Paul g. Marty Thomas, Hayden Church, Virginia Madison and the wonderful Sandra O.
Speaker 4: It is sideways.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're talking sideways in a wine cellar in the Barissa Valley. If I have a live studio audience with playing the Zame Hussain next week and you waited nothing yet until then, by for now, and so we leave old Pete, save themselves and to our friends of the radio audience.
Speaker 4: We've been a pleasant, good name