Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Mattrolope, a writer and editor for osopen dot Com.
Speaker 2: And I'm Vi Christie, Managing editor for Australian Tennis magazine and Matt, why are we sitting down this week with Tristan Schoolcap?
Speaker 1: Well, if we were lucky enough to connect with Tristan while he was back in Brisbane for a training block. He played almost twenty tournaments in the first seven months of the season and decided he just needed a break, so coming home he enjoyed the chance to reset and refresh, and we actually connected with him the day before he was due to fly to North America and the US hardcourt season is probably where Tristan's had his best tennis. It's where he won his first Grand Slam match at the US Open in twenty twenty four, and then in twenty twenty five he reached his first ATP quarterfinal in lost car Boss. He reached the second round of the Canada Masters after beating joelf on Seca. That's when he cracked the top hundred for the first time, and then he returned to the US Open second round last year with a great five set win. So it's been a very happy hunting ground for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was great to check in with Tristan, who has had I guess a really considered approach to his development. He was kind of just getting started in his career when COVID struck, so like all players, he had to take a break. But he's since gone on to achieve some really great things, including that incredible match over Jennick Sinner at the Australian Open.
Speaker 1: Tristan school Kate, thanks very much for joining us today on the sit Down Podcast. Where in the world do we find you?
Speaker 3: I'm Brisbane at the moment. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's great, great to see you. You're in Brisbane in the middle of the Tennesseeason. What brought you back home?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just going back a couple weeks training, just getting out the hams to wheel a little bit and just getting prepared for the North American summer.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's completely fair enough, was the What was the best thing about returning? Like, how long have you been home for since we beat?
Speaker 3: I love being back training a couple of weeks now.
Speaker 4: I think it's just yeah, resetting, refreshing before getting back into more tournaments.
Speaker 1: Okay, and how has the how has the refresh been, because we understand you're back off to the States.
Speaker 3: Is it tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I head to Canada tomorrow hopefully get it to Montreal and then yeah it bounce to Cincinnati a lead an event in the US Open qualities.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 1: So did the did the couple of weeks home give you the refresh that you that you needed?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean by the twenty four hour journey back, Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 3: It's I think when I needed.
Speaker 4: And yeah, just got over the jet leg, so look forward to getting some more when I go back.
Speaker 5: Tristan.
Speaker 2: We always love to sort of take a player when we talk to them back to the start of their tennis journey. So yeah, we would love if you could tell us about your start in tennis in Perth, which we understand with your dad who is a tennis coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean so a while back now, but yeah, I started at my low Or school Double few Primary and my dad used to run lessons there, so I joined a group and I was playing a lot.
Speaker 3: Then went to the.
Speaker 4: Club he was coaching, Clamont Lawn Tennis Club and from there I played at a few different clubs in Perth and eventually went to the National Academy well Talent Development Squad State Academy and then eventually the National Academy there and worked a lot with Andrew Roberts.
Speaker 3: He was a head coach there at the time.
Speaker 4: Adam Carey, Alex Jago and Tom George a few of the coaches that helped me through my years from sort of twelve through eighteen amazing.
Speaker 2: And I read a story I think it was on the ATP website actually, and it referenced to your dad being a coach now in the Netherlands. I think it was from a year ago, so that may not still be true, but I was kind of intrigued by that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I grew up there and spent a long time in Australia too, and now coaches back there.
Speaker 1: Kind of ever knew that connection actually go.
Speaker 2: And you know Perth is famous for its its grass courts. Was that the first surface that you played on? And if so, how did that shape your game?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I started a club with sixteen grass courts and two synthetic grass so yeah, no high courts or clay fair adjustment the grounds and won't be too happy, but the bounces weren't too high, but no, I think yeah, it shaped some of the way I played today.
Speaker 5: And what's what's your favorite surface?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: I think grass for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean the season's not really too long, but but yeah, I think it just has a bit of a point of difference and I spent a long time on it, so I really enjoyed it nice.
Speaker 1: I would have like to have played my first tennis sont Real, grasp Onto car here in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: But we're very interested.
Speaker 1: Both of us, to kind of get your take on like Perth is a bit of a tennis ecosystem. There's a lot of talent coming out of Perth, your generation, some younger players, and you've also talked about, you know, hitting with John Piers over there. Alicia Mullick lives there. There's a really good Casey the Laquas from there. There's masses of talent out in the West.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Does it feel like it's been a bit of a breeding ground for you and having that kind of great tennis culture, lots of people to hit with and kind of be around at that high level. Is that kind of what tennis is like in Perth, even though it's a little bit further away from some of the other cities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you said it yourself just then, it's pretty far away. But no, I think there's a lot of good players that come through. I was pretty lucky. I think with the time I did there was a few guys older than me, which helped to understand the level for training too. So you guys went to college and yeah, I was able to sort of draw on that build the experience through playing with some better players. But also yeah, we had good players sort of coming after me too, and it was a good, good bunch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good training, So I'm really happy with that.
Speaker 1: When and you talk about the players coming up under you, like, for example, Talia Gibson's had an incredible year, Taylor Preston's also emerging there both West Australians. Do you take his special interest in seeing what those players are doing when they come from the same place as you do you follow their progress any more closely?
Speaker 4: I think you definitely hold onto a little bit of our Yeah, both from Perth so well, you sort of want to see them do well, and it's nice to see that players can make it coming from Perth and being so far away. I guess from Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane. But yeah, I think it's great. Hopefully there can be a new guy coming through, maybe a little younger, but no, the girls are doing great.
Speaker 3: It's awesome to see.
Speaker 1: And when I guess, with that great upbringing or introduction into tennis in Perth, when did you kind of start dreaming about a professional career or realizing you were good enough to actually make a go of what you're doing today.
Speaker 3: I'm not too sure.
Speaker 4: I think it's something you always dream of, definitely, but yeah, when it becomes a reality, I don't know. I think I he was sort of eighteen, did well in junior's. I hadn't played a whole heap. I did school normally, so barely played. I just played in the school holidays and yeah, I took a your off UNI and sort of played all the junior events around the world finish I think just inside top thirty.
Speaker 3: So that gave me some belief.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's quite late though, like to be not realizing or not really thinking you can make a go of it until about eighteen went What was it that clicked for you if you weren't playing as like that full junior schedule the same way some others do.
Speaker 4: I mean I was always around the top few maybe through my whole junior career, so I always had that belief.
Speaker 3: But no, I think.
Speaker 4: Playing internationally, seeing myself against some of the best players in the world, I gave me some confidence. Obviously, the pro to was so different and everyone improves at different speeds. So yeah, it's been a fair journey. But yeah, I'm glad the way I did it was the way I did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was always really interested that you did make a priority of finishing school, Like how do you think kind of that's helped you in the longer term.
Speaker 4: I mean I wasn't the smartest guy, but I enjoyed it. I did pretty well. I tried balances as best I could. But yeah, look, I think just having mates other interests, it would make going to training really exciting and something different.
Speaker 3: Like I'd rock up some days I'd miss maybe my.
Speaker 4: First period of the day or first class, and I mean like wet hair from a shower and my mates to be like, oh what even do obviously training and yeah, each night sort of finish training, go study, fall asleep at the desk half the time. No, it was great I still talked to a lot of my mates from school and keeps me grounded a bit.
Speaker 2: That's it's such a kind of busy life for a teenager. What did you love most at school?
Speaker 4: Oh, recess and lunch. No, I think just like having a close group of mates. Semi competitive, obviously with results at school, but more so just yeah, socializing, having a bit of fun and not taking it all too serious.
Speaker 2: Sure, and as I understand it, you were pretty closely connected with the Hopman Cup at various stages. You were a ball kid for Joe Wilford's songer, you also became a hitting partner. How did those experiences shape your ambitions?
Speaker 3: I guess it was great. I mean I loved it.
Speaker 4: It was kind of our only tournament there, so it's nice to see all the pros being so close to the top players. Our best chance of hopefully grabbing a racket from one of the players was to be a ball kid, but that never eventuated. And hitting with some of the pros was great. Good to see the level. And yeah, mix it with some of the big, big players and you I.
Speaker 2: Think we're a particular fan of Joe Wilfrid Soonger. What did you love about his game and did you have a chance to spend much time with him?
Speaker 3: Not too much.
Speaker 4: He was always my favorite player growing up, just the way he sort of played. He was pretty entertaining, played a little bit different to most guys. He was pretty aggressive, living around the court a bit, and yeah, I always love watching him, So it's pretty cool to walk at him a few times such as great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure recall interviewing you.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you would remember, but it was at a pro tour event in Geelong in twenty twenty and your career was sort of just starting to gather momentum at that time, and that very day we learned that Indian Wells had been canceled due to COVID. So it kind of I often think about that and think about how it impacted players such as yourself who were just starting to come through at that time.
Speaker 5: Do you do you ever think about that?
Speaker 3: Definitely? Yeah, it almost gets swept under the rug a little bit. It was pretty hectic time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at that point I was deciding between going to college or not, decided not to, played some pro tournaments and then everything stopped. So yeah, went back to Perth trained for a few months and then found myself here in Brisbane, started training here and playing some wtrs. Yeah, and about a year later went over and played some futures in the States and in Europe too. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was a very different time, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: And at that time you had just joined the Australian Davis Cup team, I think it was in Adelaide. Well, maybe tell us about you know, those memories and what kind of inspiration you got from that experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was lucky enough to be Orange Boy, which is great.
Speaker 4: I knew a lot of the guys from the team, so it was cool to be around that and yeah, I understand the Yeah, the honor it is to play for your country. So it was pretty epic. Some of the matches are pretty close, they won with the celebrations were good. And I found myself in Geelong play in a future the.
Speaker 1: Next week and then yes, and then everything everything well everything halted, maybe completely change, but I guess I guess it also highlights something the closeness You've mentioned a couple of times with the other Australian plays, and I guess our as Australian plays is that unique aspect that we have to travel so far where other side of the world. Does that make having that connection with the other Australians even more important or special? Like kind of what how do you gear your trips around? Like are there a few of you that travel together or do you hit together dinners together? Is there that culture on tour among the Aussies?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's pretty good camaraderie. Everyone obviously understands the demands of traveling and playing as a pro from Australia, so it's important to have mates at the tournaments it are. Yeah, it makes things a little easier, that's for sure, but at the end of the day, it's very competitive.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it helps to have a bunch of guys who, yeah you can have a laugh with.
Speaker 1: Are there which who are your best mates among the Aussies?
Speaker 4: I played a lotbviously grown up with Dane and Rink. We both are the same age, oh, the.
Speaker 3: Three of us.
Speaker 4: So going through juniors to the pros, yeah, we all sort of ebbed and flows through the rankings, but more or less we're playing the same stuff now, so it's been pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is cool.
Speaker 1: And speaking of all that travel, like looking preparing for this interview and looking at some of the places you've played. You played almost on every continent. What would you say is maybe one of the more far flung locations you found self playing professional tennis or a memorable travel experience because of that, you know, unusual.
Speaker 4: Path played some tournaments in Cairo. Oh yeah, that was pretty hectic. I went there with Lee too, and we've had some pretty good stories come out of that one.
Speaker 3: It's a fair trip.
Speaker 1: Is there one place you'd love to return to of those more remote or exotic locations you played?
Speaker 3: Not there? I mean I've played some futures in Sardinia and Italy.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it was a clay court tournament which it stayed sort of in a resort or some accommodation, not far but right on the ocean. It was really really nice, but obviously a bit of a trip to get to.
Speaker 1: Her good things about Sardinia one day one day And one other thing we we're interested to get your take on. Is this thing that we hear a lot with tennis players talking about there being such slim margins between the top hundred and the players existing just outside that bracket on the Challenger Tour, and that there really isn't that much difference in the level. So it's just kind of wondering, given you've kind of you've existed between both spaces in your career, what is the difference. What is the difference between being a player inside the top hundred consistently versus someone that's just.
Speaker 3: On the cusp?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I mean, perfect example, has been six months, I guess the start of twenty twenty five, building up to being in the top hundred, staying there for about six to eight months, and then now just slipping out a little bit as well.
Speaker 3: I think it comes down to.
Speaker 4: Winning semis, winning finals of challenges, making a couple of breakthroughs, and some bigger tournaments, and that could come down to one or two tire breaks, a couple sets here and there, and yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Seems seems like a long way, but it is not much.
Speaker 4: And I guess the guys who are on the tour and they're in the top hundred week in week out, I think their worst level is just a bit better than the guys who are hovering outside. Maybe the top level might be a little bit better too, so they can make some big runs at some big events, but yeah, the day to day.
Speaker 6: Level is not much different. It's just yeah, consistency over that fifty two week period and that bit about the tie breaks it hinging on such small margins. Is that confidence building?
Speaker 3: Definitely? Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I lost a fifth set tiebreak Tomnsic and it's like a round of US Open twenty four. A year later, I'm playing first round and one seven six and the fifth and senago. So we lose both of those. You're probably pretty shattered you win both of those. Yeah, well, I guess we'll never know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, interesting, Well, yeah, you really stepped into the spotlight at the Australian Open when you faced Jannick Sinner and you were only one of only two players to take a set off him that year.
Speaker 5: How do you look back on that? You know, that was the biggest match of your career so far.
Speaker 4: Really, I'd obviously played a match on such a big stage in front of so many people.
Speaker 3: It was really nice to have the crowd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally behind me, and I'm just glad I played a good match, went out there and did what I wanted to do. Obviously finished up second best, but there was a good chance that most guys were going to do that anyway.
Speaker 3: But I really enjoyed. Obviously, this is train open as a whole.
Speaker 4: I won my first major match there, so that was already a great achievement. And then two, yeah, I have a match like that was fantastic. Plenty of good memories and something I remember for a very long time.
Speaker 5: Was there anything that you learned about yourself in that match?
Speaker 3: I could play semi decent.
Speaker 4: I think it just gave me a lot of confidence just in the way I play, the brand of tennis I was working towards, and it probably helped with yeah, believing I could keep climbing up the rankings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I could test the best in the world, it was a pretty good start.
Speaker 1: We understand our colleague Simon Ray, who's in the who heads up Tennis Australia's Data and insights team. He was in your entourage that night, and we know that you are a bit of a believer in data and analytics and using that in your career, so we were interested to know, like, yeah, how did you kind of tap into that, what appealed to you about that side of the game, and what kind of what's brought to you or what do you get out of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it can help to make a little difference here and there. At the end of the day, you've got to hit the ball in the lines. But if it comes down to a couple of big points, tiebreaks like we talked about before, and trying to hold on, maybe somewhere he might serve or a week aside under pressure, things like that can maybe make a couple of points of difference.
Speaker 1: Has knowing that, like tapping into those analytics and working with Simon and people in that team, has that kind of made you view the game differently or noticings you might not have noticed.
Speaker 3: Before, maybe slightly. I think it just helps with the preparation.
Speaker 4: And yeah, going into an exam, if you didn't study, he probably didn't have much of a chance. But if that helped maybe a little bit, Yeah, obviously I was happy to do so. And yeah, I think it gives you that clarity and confidence under pressure too.
Speaker 2: Okay, nice, You're coming into part of the year that we've sort of touched on already that you've historically done had some great results at. So you won your first Grand Slam match at the US Open in twenty twenty four. Atp quarterfinal in twenty twenty five, that was your first quarterfinal, you made the top one hundred. Yeah, you've had some big wins in the US. You must be looking forward to returning to that part of the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I'm got to bring a lot of changes of clothesans, But no, I.
Speaker 3: Like the conditions there.
Speaker 4: I seem to play well, enjoyed that time of year, and yeah, I mean it's crazy to say that's already the last Slam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but all the events before they're really really nice.
Speaker 4: And even afterwards going to Asia and playing there is also good for me. So glad I could get a couple weeks training in and yeah, ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And of those big wins that I just mentioned, there was Von Saka in Canada. Then you had a first top fifty win over son Ago and that incredible match at the US Open. I think it was four and a half hours, almost over over five sets.
Speaker 3: Take us back to that one, Yeah, it was. It was an epic obviously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a few demons in the head from the year before, played on the same court, and yeah, it was up two sets of love, had a couple of match points. I ended up losing seven to six in the fifth. So it was a pretty long afternoon. Evening and the same thing happened, except yeah, I found a way in that tiebreak and it was a fair display of emotion. But yeah, that was obviously just a testament to the work I've been doing, and yeah, how happy I was after that, So it was pretty epic.
Speaker 1: The other thing we wanted to talk about in terms of your career highlights was the fact you've improved your year end ranking every year you've competed on tour. So I mean, I think that's over about six or seven years now, which is pretty That's I would have thought that was relatively rare that there hasn't been. It's been trending the same way for so long, and I wanted to know, first of all, if you knew that, and second of all, what that kind of says about your progress, your consistency, all of those kinds of things.
Speaker 4: Maybe at COVID there was a little drop, but obviously I was still a little bit higher than I was the year before. I have a rough idea, and yeah, do set some goals at the start of every year and assess at the end of the year.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I always try to improve.
Speaker 4: And like to be a little bit better than I was yesterday and if that ends up being a little bit better at the end of the year, fantastic. But I know that obviously that can't happen every single year, but yeah, push myself to try and yeah, keep climbing up the ranks.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, this has been fantastic, Tristan. We just now that you are about to head off in this I guess last last Slam coming up, and then the Asian segment we're getting towards the end of the season. What would a successful rest of twenty twenty six look like for you?
Speaker 3: Awesome? I want to finish the year strong.
Speaker 4: I've had a couple of big years and I found myself pretty towards the end played a lot of tournaments. So if I can be playing a lot of matches, stay healthy and get a few wins under the belt, that'd be great. And yeah, I want to finish strong and go into the ausy summer feeling really good.
Speaker 2: Nice And in the bigger picture, if we could grant you one dream in tennis.
Speaker 5: What would that be?
Speaker 3: Might be the win Wimbledon? Yeah, pretty easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is that's a dream for so many Yeah, what is it about Wimbledon specifically?
Speaker 4: I think just the prestige. I mean, I've always loved grass, I started on grass, and yeah, it'd be a pretty cool achievement. It'd be yeah, a close first and second between there and it's right and open. But I think, yeah, something just pulls me towards Wimbledon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fair enough too, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well, we wish you all the best with that dream and yeah, and your goals for the rest of this year and especially over this coming few weeks in the US.
Speaker 5: So thanks for joining us today and good luck.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, appreciate it. Thanks Christin.
Speaker 2: Well, some great insights there from Tristan, and I guess that's what you would expect.
Speaker 5: Is one of the players that.
Speaker 2: Finished traditional school, and yeah, it has a really about balanced approach to life on tour.
Speaker 1: And I was really fascinated if to hear him discuss the slim margins the King on a couple of points here and there in a tiebreak. So it would be really interesting to see in this next swing in the US if he finds himself in a couple of those tight moments, you know, a tie break one here or there, can send him on a whole new trajectory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we hope that goes really well for him, and we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down.
Speaker 5: Please remember to subscribe so you.
Speaker 2: Never missed an episode in your feed, and we'd love you to leave us a rating and review.
Speaker 3: See you next week, Matt, See you the NVIV