Speaker 1: Hey, legends, welcome back to the Mason Cox Show. We have a big one today. I got to see Harley Reid up close and personal. How you doing, brouh. We also had Carlton had a one point went over Melbourne on a Thursday night. That was an interesting game. And also we had a draw another draw Adelaide and Brisbane. We're going to break that down all coming up in this episode. Let's get into it. Okay, Legends, we have a lot to cover in this episode, but without further ado, welcome Brighton.
Speaker 2: Oh get a mice.
Speaker 3: Now, let's jump straight into the clangers because I have a doozy for you.
Speaker 1: We've got a few. There's not a bit going on out there.
Speaker 2: There's a few clangers out there.
Speaker 3: But as an athlete, professional athlete as you are, we just throw it around sometimes. But as a professional athlete, you have a manager of too. You probably have one a couple yeah tracks, you're big six seven figure contracts.
Speaker 1: And then that's a clanger with themselves and.
Speaker 3: Then someone that looks after opportunities going We got this brand coming in, this brand coming in. Normally that's all they do, right, just bring in the brands, bring in a bit of extra cash.
Speaker 2: Happy days for everyone involved.
Speaker 3: Well, Paul Matthaeus philipp Who's manager, has caused a little stir this week because he tweeted.
Speaker 1: I'm sticking happens there?
Speaker 2: We don't tweet, does he or does he tweet?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure I'm sticking with Twitter anyone that says X, they're sad. But Ned Costello is the other manager for Matthias Philippoo. He put out there something to the effect of all the young key Fords for for the Saints. So we're talking Owen's king and Philippoo he reckons ross Lyon is destroying them, which is he's gone like a soft quote, he's comment he's destroying them. So he tweeted from the couch he said, Russell ideas come from there.
Speaker 2: What's he done?
Speaker 3: He's destroying all these young forwards, one of which is his clients. So I wouldn't be reading that as one of his clients to go like, oh am I destroyed am I. But yeah, so he's come out since then, he's deleted the account.
Speaker 1: That's a sign you've you've definitely screwed up.
Speaker 3: He couldn't have done it any sooner, but yeah, he said when asked about it that it was just an emotional response from the couch and I feel like we all have them at times. You would have tweeted a couple of tweets that you wish he could have just reeled back in.
Speaker 1: How good my words.
Speaker 3: But I think.
Speaker 1: The thing with this is right, He's not the football manager, he's the extras manager. And I'm like, mate, the money's not coming from you, so try not to screw up his actual contract. Just let you do your job, and please do not comment about your clients. It was.
Speaker 3: He's probably not the guy you want to try and get into the bad books.
Speaker 2: Frost line.
Speaker 3: He's a pretty scary dude, even though he's a bit happier nowadays. But yeah, I'm giving the klang to Ned Costello just chill out a bit on the Twitter.
Speaker 2: But he's my clanger of the week.
Speaker 1: What's yours. There's a couple here. We'll start off with the first one, now Freeman or Patrick Voss he VOSSI would know this is covid because for the week kid oh, I thought he had kicked an absolute beauty by the way he celebrated, gave the full fist pump into the air with a bit of gusto and the umpire comes out with the one finger pistol and he's gone gone a bit early on the celebration and that, unfortunately is a guaranteed shoe went for clanger of the week.
Speaker 3: I feel bad for him because it happened like two in a row the.
Speaker 1: Camera and it looked like it went straight through the sticks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like if the broadcaster could show us a different camera angle so we could figure out what the hell happened.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there was one.
Speaker 3: The first person that did it kicked it, gave it a little bit of those sus ones.
Speaker 1: It's like whoo, trying to convince the other and then when it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't it wasn't too shocking. But the second one is he was stuked.
Speaker 1: He was sure, but unfortunately for him, just one point, that's what. And then the next one. Now, you're gonna help me out on this one because we did a little diving into this and we're all four women's sports here right, we love it and unfortunately Netball Australia had a bit of a clanger over the weekend. Now the Lightning we're playing the Giants and at the end of the game, you know, Lightning are going we're up seventy one to seventy. Let's close the game out, let's go into our stop play or whatever it is. Right, you know we're going to win this game. The siren goes and they're like, yep, we won. Yeah, awesome, great, what's going to the next round? Right?
Speaker 2: No clangers, that's happy days, Giants.
Speaker 1: Go not's so fast? Technically we're tied and Lightning I was so so sorry. What it's seventy one to seventy on the scoreboard though, Well, let's have a look at this. So the umpires go back and they check it and surely seventy to seventy they got to go back go into overtime. Lightning end up losing the game after thinking they had it all sealed, and the climber goes to the officiating and whoever the hell is running the scoreboard at netball, I don't think there's a lot of difference here. There's not a lot of math. It's either two points or one point. Surely we can figure that out. And yeah, it caused a bit of a stir over the weekend in netball Australia and it's been a bit of a rough go for them, a bit of a rough year over there. That ball. Oh we won't dive into it too much.
Speaker 2: A precious run.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting one, but yeah, tough, tough loss for the Lightning, thinking they had it all wrapped up and Gihnt's come up with a dub.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just a calamity of airs because it was Lightning left.
Speaker 2: They were gone.
Speaker 3: They were down in the rooms, chilling out, they singing a storm.
Speaker 1: We won the game.
Speaker 3: They they've picked the player of the match, they've done it all down, the crowds left, like all of that is going on, and then they have to come out and over an hour after the game had finished, they're like, no, let's get it going again, extra five minutes each way, Like imagine starting back up, cranking the old body back up after a big game, putting it all out there. So yeah, last thirty seconds they went into shut down mode. I thought they'd saved the game. And oh man, it's painful.
Speaker 1: The top pilver swallow there, sorry Sunshine, curse Lightning, but I wouldn't be having it. I'd be filthy. I don't know how you did. I don't know.
Speaker 3: How it works with the as we've seen AFL had a bit of a whoopsie last year and they were like, yeah, sorry we caused cost Adelaide finals whoop.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: Oh well but there's not much you can do.
Speaker 1: You just it's sealed. Yeah. Well anyway, well enough that we'll get into the football again. Into the first game of the match. This one was a really good one one point winner Carlton over Melbourne seventy seven to seventy six. Oh what did you see in this one?
Speaker 3: Well, as I thought with another Thursday night, it started off a bit slow and boring, and I was like, we're do you another stinker here?
Speaker 2: It's going to be another stinker.
Speaker 3: But I feel like at least if they're close towards the end, you get a bit of something, get a bit of juice. And Carlton were up up convincingly. They kicked the first six of the game and it.
Speaker 1: Just looked like, look, they would just run over the top.
Speaker 3: Going to just wipe them off the park. But Melbourne came home strong in the last kicking four goals forward a one, one huge, bringing it down to the one point margin.
Speaker 1: Wack's gone kick one for about fifty Yeah, I was tangling saying that.
Speaker 2: He's always good.
Speaker 3: He did the thing where he kind of runs around the man on the mark to get the extra juice. But it was really Petrarca that was, you know, the only one that looked like he was going to just put him on his back and just carry him over the line. He went forward twenty one touches, five goals.
Speaker 1: Five goals. That's a bag for all track. Chef tracker, chef tracker, you got to that's the only way to do it.
Speaker 3: He's cooking. But yeah, he was amazing. Crips had thirty five and a goal. Walsh had thirty four in a goal, So they were I think that's the scary part, like when I see them and normally, like sometimes you see their forwards kicking big numbers, but the game's still close. So it's like, if you've got Crips and Walsh getting huge numbers and kicking goals and it's still that close, it's it's an interesting little conundrum.
Speaker 2: I don't know where that comes from.
Speaker 3: But yeah, in the dying moments, it was down to a stoppage.
Speaker 2: Petruca on the move and Max.
Speaker 3: Gorn did like a deaf little touch behind him and jumped out of the way, Petraca came through, collected the ball and then got tackled straight away.
Speaker 2: They were ready for him.
Speaker 3: It was kind of like they tapped it to the area where Carlton's set up, so obviously it was kind of it looked like a set play that, you know, it didn't pan out. It didn't pan out the truck had done holding the ball. Now people have said that maybe gone should have gone the big hit out of congestion over into space. What would you have done in that circumstance.
Speaker 1: If you can, if you got someone like Petruca on there, you're probably going to have them as they go to I think you like, but then you've got like crips and stuff too, so I think you're probably going to hit it to your go to person and then try to get that quick kick forward. Unfortunately, didn't pan out for him that way because if you do the big thump forward, like a lot of times, defenses are there to you know, sweep it up and then kick it forward again. So that's usually where their numbers are if you're if you're in defensive mode, so to thump it forward sometimes doesn't work out as well as you know the intention, but yeah, I think hitting the petruck is probably right. Thinking it over the top opens up the corridor which allows you to maybe, like you know, hit a fact or hit an open side kick. There's a possibility to So I don't think that was the wrong call, the wrong decision, but sometimes it just doesn't pan out. Yeah, that's just part of footy.
Speaker 3: Like slightly different scenario, but at least you know they had a similar position ground position to last week when Nick Daykov comes shooting through, got the ball, kicked the goal. Carlton was able to stop that. It didn't happen this week.
Speaker 1: Different player, different player, special team, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was good. Carlton needed to win that because they go up to Sydney this week versus the Swans at the SCG, So that's going to be a big one that we look afforward to Adam Cherr unfortunately hamstring injury and Carlton have a lot of soft tissue injuries, so it's another one to the list. Let's jump over to Geelong Port. You and I thought Easy dubbed Geelong. Obviously Port's a good team at Gelong, but it's at Geelong, so we just thought they would get it done down there in Hawk's big record equaling game, and it just didn't pan out.
Speaker 1: That kicked like fifty points at halftime, and I was just like Geelong, like, what's going on here? I thought you would just dominate this and it just seemed like Port just kind of ran over them and Gelong tried, you know, valiantly to try to get back into it, but the amount of score differential was just too much for them to come back. Yeah, and it's a tough one to lose in front of your home crowd like that. And I think they've got a They've got a great home field advantage there, very similar ground size to Adelaide Oval though. Yeah, so if there's a team to kind of take them to the line, I feel like poor Adeload's got that kind of experience playing on a skinnier ground that Geelong does provide. A GM HbA also.
Speaker 2: So good football analysis playing great.
Speaker 1: Hey, that was real insight for a guy that doesn't know what the hell he's talking about most of the time. But anyway, Yeah, we had Cape Ferrell kick two big range goals.
Speaker 3: You can't let him just walk around the fifty because he's just got a boom and.
Speaker 1: We got We only kicked four and three behind, gave away a double fifty.
Speaker 2: I feel like you get that.
Speaker 3: You don't want to see it. If the guys out there he's kicked four goals three and he's carrying your team, you let it slide. One guy on the field can give away a double fifty him.
Speaker 1: It's probably it's good to see up at the back because he's one of those exciting players that just makes something out of nothing, does all the old Bobby Hill fake fake one way, fake the other, you know, and then somehow snap over his head. It's exciting stuff. Stangle kicked four also, and we've been on Tomahawk watch for about the last six weeks. I feel like, and he finally got one today or sorry over the weekend, So the Tomahawk goal watch is over. He's got his goal. Hopefully he gets back into and keetting multiple goals per game because we love the Tomahawk up and about. But yeah, he got he got to, you know, get rid of the jinx. Yeah, maybe is what we'll call it. Butters also had a big game thirty four disposals, seven clearances in the goal. But I think this one was a bit of Port Adelaide just playing to it strengths. We had a lot of questions with a few outs with them over the past week and they showed up and said, look, we are not hiding away from this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They they had an answer every time because the crowd as Geelong started to kick a couple of goals, they it only took a couple of goals for the crowd to get right back behind him.
Speaker 2: Every time they kicked the goal, Port had a answer.
Speaker 3: It was really really impressive win, like they just had an answer for everything. There was a couple of moments there they made a big beat up about it, which is they being social media and media agencies. But there was one point where I swear Ken Hinkley was either asking someone on the bench what was that, Like, what did you say? And then turned that into like an ear scratch and they clipped it up and it was like Ken Hinkley telling the crowd, oh.
Speaker 1: Pay good money enough. That was him saying come on boys.
Speaker 3: But there was after the game he turned around. He's done it a couple of times now where Port win. He turns around and looks at the crowd and he's like giving it to the crowd. I don't know if there's like a port section in that part of the crowd benefit of the doubt. Otherwise he's just turned around the gmaspa and he's just given it to the Gelunger fans.
Speaker 1: Happy either way, I like it given it to opposite.
Speaker 3: Because he did the jig. We loved the jig.
Speaker 1: We love the gym. I just love kN Hinckley doing stuff. Just you get kN Hinckley watch, you know, screw Tomahawk watching his goal. We want ken Hinckley watch of what he dies every single game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I feel like it's really easy to you know, show boat or give something like give it to someone when you know you're safe to say it's like the last game of the year or something like that. But Kenny does ship in the middle of the season when it can really blow up in his face, and when it does, it does when it like so there was that obviously that one where he did the five zero to like the camera in the box, and obviously later like it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Really to Dixon this year. I mean, he gives us storylines, which we love on this podcast. So nothing like crazy, but it's just a little bit of content, you know, just a little bit can't.
Speaker 3: He must be so battle hardened because like every year it was like Kosh, She's coming out saying he needs to get the sack.
Speaker 1: And he got the sack, got the sack.
Speaker 2: He's doing all one job, zero job.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's good. We always love to see a little bit of Kenny magic.
Speaker 1: We'll move to the next game out. I love that little segment in free versus Sydney. Now going from a very you know, fun little time to unfortunately the news over the week of Cam McCarthy, you know, passing away very tough, especially for you play for g WS and Freemantle throughout his career. Always hard to hear these these stories come out and yeah, to to off the top, we will say this lifeline one three, one, one one four for anyone out there that's having any issues and need someone to talk to. That's that's very important, I think, and it's tough with football. You know, Freeman obviously would have had a lot on their mind going into this game with what happened during the week, and it's it's not an easy thing to have to front up and just you know, play football and do your job. In that sense, it's an emotional time for them. I'm sure it's a tough time for them to have to to rally around each other and try to get through kind of the day. And you know, had some touching tributes over there in Perth and yeah, unfortunately for this as far as the football side of it goes to Freemantle was thirty nine versus Sydney had eighty seven, so a bit of a thumping over there too, and just added on to the tough week that was for Fremantle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was pretty courageous for the players to just show up in the first place. You can see, you could visibly see like the effect that he had on them as a playing group. It was Alex Pierce Nat Fife, both pre and postgame. Pre game, all the players lined up and they had a tribute to Cam before the game started and you could see it, like tears running down their face and stuff. So like, it's always hard and there's been a few circumstances like this over time. So hard to focus on footy because it puts it into perspective so.
Speaker 1: Much more than football players. And then you know, whatever, this happens to a friend and then they're also part of the football team. It's yeah, it does affactor group. It's not an easy thing to have to deal with obviously, and yeah, and then rock up and try to play a game at full capacities. As you know, not to say that they didn't try the hide out, but like it is mentally, you wouldn't be one hundred percent there, you know, like you can't focus on it with all the destructions of you know, what happened during the week and thinking about the terrible news.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't like, yeah, they definitely showed up and gave really good effort. It was more they're kicking a goal accuracy that kind of brought them undone jumping into the game itself. Sydney again, excellent, like they're just a powerhouse of a team. Haywood again. Four goals. I think he's kicked something like fourteen goals or something in the past three weeks.
Speaker 1: It's like that's not bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially in his role, Like you don't see players in that role like they might bob up every so often, but he's now consistently turned that one to two goals a game into like four or five goals a game.
Speaker 2: It's pretty it's pretty wild what he's done.
Speaker 3: Shot was great for Freo, especially late, but twenty eight touch is two goals and Joel Lamarty kicked two for Sydney and it was kind of spread evenly, as it is with Sydney most times. We know Frio has got a really strong defense, especially Alex Pierce has been able to shut down pretty much every major key forward in the game so far this year, so you knew that it kind of had to come from the extras from the midfield. But I mean, they have a plethora of midfielders that just love to kick goals and rack up touches. So big game for Sydney, another win on the road, which is like great for them, and then they go back to the Sydney diverse Calton this week, a big.
Speaker 1: Game coming up. Move on, prays up to McCarthy family, anyone that's got to know him over the years and has become friends with them, and we're all thinking about you and hopefully you're going all right and get to celebrate an amazing life that was. Now we'll move into the Hawthorn versus Saint Kilda game. Now I don't know if many people pick this one. Hawthorn beats Saint kilder fifty eight to fifty three.
Speaker 3: I swear I thought you were going to say, I'm not sure many people watched this one because Hawthorne Saint Kilda in lawns.
Speaker 1: Where it's not mine.
Speaker 3: Look at that scored fifty eight to fifty three.
Speaker 2: What's Oh, what's the point going down there? I reckon it would have been.
Speaker 3: More entertaining if they had just played Uno in the middle in the center circle and the winner of that gets to win the game.
Speaker 2: Because you're paying money to go and watch that.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it was either. They all had like a medal around their neck after the game.
Speaker 3: Mate participation, so like rocking up to that. They should have given medals to the crowd.
Speaker 1: Well okay, well yeah, okay, we're going to go into this this post game stuff. Then we're going into the actual game, because there was also the Prime Minister decided to jump into the circle. I'm sorry, what if the Prime Minister is asking to jump into the circle and be like, nah, maybe not for you. You didn't didn't put your life on the line smashing into bodies left, right and center. You sit behind you know, a desk on a single day, acting as though you're running this country. You're gonna act like a big sports fan. Get out here. No chance you're getting in.
Speaker 3: I've seen clips of elbow out there kicking the footing. I swear he said he used to play, which I don't know what league.
Speaker 1: Can we just can we run back to who was the front minister that like hit a kid? Well, like playing football or soccer. He just went trains strolled too, like an elementary school kid. Oh man that there was some rough vision for him that might have heard his you know, his votes in the poll.
Speaker 3: There's no good There's one good like politician that I wanted to see at sporting events, Bob Hawk.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so he could chug your beer. That's all he wanted to see. That was the best part that was actually that was actually the thing that probably people could agree with most was that he was a legend.
Speaker 3: He was legit. I think Julia Gillard like is a genuine Bulldogs fan, like a real fan, not like sco Is Like I love the Sharkis in the NRL. It's like, shut up, you know, it's just it's not real. It's not you don't like the Sharkis. You're just rocking up for political points.
Speaker 1: A big West coast man. We're gone, We've.
Speaker 2: Gone, We're gone way down. We're politics.
Speaker 1: We're going into politics here.
Speaker 2: Have you seen Nick Watson play?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's quite short. He's quite short, so I didn't know if you could have seen it, you might just look straight over.
Speaker 2: But he is exciting.
Speaker 3: Kick two goals on the on the day, like obviously in his position, doesn't rack up a lot of the ball, but put speed on it, dishes it off a couple of goal assists, like he's going to be so exciting for this Hawthorne team that's progressing really quickly.
Speaker 1: Yea to watch.
Speaker 3: And then Jian Yukan we know it every week, but he got another thirty one. Max King managed to kick two goals. But Roan Marshall for a player in the losing team, these stats twenty eight touches, eleven tackles, thirty five hitouts, twelve clearances.
Speaker 1: You kidding me? Quadruple double got the Quad Dub, the Quad Dub casual run.
Speaker 3: That's real call of duty, specially you got the quad Dub. But yeah, they did point out I watched the I watched the thing on first Crack and I were saying.
Speaker 1: Oh, you watched for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love Kingy.
Speaker 3: Joe Montagna and hudder, shout out. I'm sure they watched, but they were saying that Marshall grabs it out, does the big high long bomb and most of those the twelve clearances like ten were ineffective. So it happened a few times. I think Karan Briggs was taking it out of the ruck a lot and bombing it. Have you been given any guidance on that? Would you like to grab it out you just can't? Or are you a pure craft tapped ruckman and you don't want to take it out? What's what's your What do you think about big rucks that just pluck it out of the ruck and just bomb it for it only?
Speaker 1: It's bad. But I think my personal experience of this with you know George Gowie that's rolling through there, Nicks and Pendles and a few of those of the like Jack Crisp another one, you know, hypothetical, Let's say you take out of the rock and you don't get it, you're getting some feedback. Let's just say that you're getting some feedback. Mate. I'm open off on my due diligence to make sure that I've got off my man, just get the damn ball to where you say you're gonna put it. Yeah, And I think after a few sprays by the midfielders, I've learned my lesson. I just made just get it to them. Your stat sheet is not going to be high, but just give it to the boys and let them do their thing. And then I mean, like over the weekend I had Nick Daykoss gave me a spray because I gave a handball received like he sold it and he went by the other way and I was like, mate, calm down, forty use the user. Come on what you do. I was like, dude, give them a touch someone else. No, I that does so rude, So give someone else.
Speaker 3: Let's jump over to s and and g WS game. Because I want to say this and I want to be real clear on it. I was really probably borderline disrespectful to Essendon preseason. I'm going to put my hand up say probably didn't see them being where they are.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're the only one.
Speaker 3: I thought the players they drafted in a few question marks about who they got.
Speaker 1: They traded for some good ones.
Speaker 3: Well they're good players, but I just thought it was ahead of the time where they were at so they've obviously assessed their premiership window very well, even though Brad Scott said it's an eight year window whatever weird using phrasing he used for.
Speaker 1: The runway and they were getting a new runway out.
Speaker 3: There there now and this is like previous years they've had. At times they'll bank a few wins with an easier drawer and then when they come up against tough opposition, not now because you know what they're going to get. We did have question marks going into this to be fair, because we are learning week on week. We said at Marvel, I'm not sure if that like it makes it a way different ball game, and it did. Essendon came out eighty two point victors over GWS sixty two.
Speaker 1: And your boys took an l.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're on shaky ground at the moment, so I don't know what's happening at GWS.
Speaker 2: They do have a big game.
Speaker 3: This week which we'll talk about later, but massive game from Essendon. So I just want to give Essendon all the props. I just want to say, well done, congratulations, great game.
Speaker 2: Langford again kick four if you talked about him, talk.
Speaker 3: About Langford right, Another Ford that is casually under appreciated.
Speaker 1: He's an undappreciated player for sure.
Speaker 3: Like he racked him up last year. He's kicking like fifty and stuff a year. That's like, I don't know why he doesn't get the attention they deserve.
Speaker 2: Another bug there, like.
Speaker 1: A waterman, Yeah, just like a not super tall, tall enough, just just nice, nice minute permits.
Speaker 3: He's gone, it's like the third four but playing like the big key for but it's very interesting. But yeah, I have a bug bear with commentators and people in the media that say, geez, no one talks about this guy, when it's like you're the you're the people employed and paid to talk about that guy. So I don't know how he doesn't get more.
Speaker 1: Plaudits, but get them on this podcast.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 3: Hogan and greendkick to each but it was Cow Awards, Big three hundred games legend.
Speaker 2: Have you met a.
Speaker 3: Tougher guy in footy? I'm trying to think your name. Cement Heads So he usually popped.
Speaker 1: His shoulder out and replayed him. He's like, I'm good, Yeah, he looks just like what he looked.
Speaker 2: Annoyed that people were making a big fuss about it.
Speaker 1: The next Sam Taylor and I'm like, oh my gosh, looks disgusting, and he's like sitting there and going, no, I'm good, let's go. Let's go into the next stoppage. I'm like, can you just get that back in there?
Speaker 3: Like, Yeah, it's a weird one because GWS got a lot of great players from the Bulldog.
Speaker 1: Drafts, the Bulldogs apologies the Bulldogs.
Speaker 3: They got the cow Award. They also Ryan Griffin another great one, and they did get Tom Boyd in return who did win on the flag. So I feel like it's a bit you take it, you take it. But he's had a massive career, obviously starting at the Dogs. You assume he's going to finish at GWS. But he kicked their first ever goal.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 2: And he's still here.
Speaker 1: So he's a legend of the game and one of the nicest guys of me too.
Speaker 3: He's been on the full journey with GWS and it looks like they're going to be up there again this year. But on this occasion they did lose to Essendon. There was a really really cool moment that we need to spotlight with Gwelfie kicking a goal. He actually kicked three on the night, which is like a massive return, especially for him and his role. But kicked a goal and celebrated by flashing his nails and we noticed that he had all of his fingernails painted red.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did you see this story?
Speaker 1: It was It was interesting. I think he had gone to the hospital during the week to visit a young patient that was going through a bit and they did it b in nail painting and he said, Hey, if I kick a goal this week, I'm going to show these nails as my celebration. And it was just a real wholesome kind of moment, like this is the cool thing about being a player is like you get to be able to have fans that maybe are struggling or going through something in their life and then be able to give some kind of like hope or inspiration to them during those tough times. And seeing this kind of story over the weekend was one of those feel good stories where you sit there and you go, you know what, some pretty amazing, cool things that come out of sport, and it's an opportunity to be able to brighten someone's day and you know, make their make their day, because sometimes it's not always you know, cards don't always fall your way, and if you can try to change someone's life for the better, that's what GWEFFI did, so you know, props to him. It's it's a beautiful little jesture you did over the weekend, and we're big fans of that here at the pod.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 2: I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 1: Don't ask me to pay mone else.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I was going to say, did you promise that the kid's probably still there going like when he kicks a goal?
Speaker 2: How many rounds I did?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of cute. What for is that for Big Freeze coming out?
Speaker 2: Well, that's not your dead one, very.
Speaker 1: Very dead ones. The other one very side borrowed story. But we had a baby shoff for all my best friends and I took her out to get her ours done nice. So I only got my big tonel done because the rest are falling off. Random storytime. Anyway, move on to the next game.
Speaker 2: So they need more paint for your big z.
Speaker 1: They charge me double.
Speaker 2: Let's to this one because this is where it starts to get a.
Speaker 3: Bit greener, because we're working our way through some of these games and I'm starting to get concerned because we look at the bottom three teams on the ladder North, you talk about Richmond, you talk about West Coast, and there there's been a problem for a little bit. But now we're getting into dangerous territory because these teams are really starting to be non competitive, like they're getting scores below fifty on a consistent basis. So it's it's just a way for teams to fill up on their percentage and if you're lucky enough to verse one of these teams twice, it has a massive impact on the way that the ladder shouts out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's always been that kind of issue, I guess of like, and you never know exactly where a team's going to fall by the end of the year, but I think there's always because you play certain teams twice and certain teams only once. There's always this bit of commentary around teams that have an easier schedule, you could say at the end of the year, where they might play a team that's on the bottom of the ladder twice and they can kind of get that percentage boost. But for us, we've got the half game in there, so the percentage boost doesn't mean as much to us, which is an interesting idea, but.
Speaker 3: Let's jump into the game. Richmond forty two against Bulldogs one hundred and thirty three and absolute demolition. And it's not going to get any easier for Richmond because they had three injuries out of this game with Banks coming in and then now he's going to be out with concussion, Graham did his hammy, and Rially had a bit of a sick in kind of leg injury, and we'll wait to see how long he's.
Speaker 1: They're having a bit of a West Coast of last year, aren't they. Yeah, that's what they're having at the moment.
Speaker 3: Very true.
Speaker 1: The wild thing is, you know, Western Bulldogs under the pump last week, Media on them again. Yeah, this is the typical thing. They lose a game, media is on them. Next week the demolished someone. Media is like, they're fine, They're all good.
Speaker 2: Because their percentage is huge.
Speaker 3: Yes, as they sit, I think they're in one hundred and twenty odd percentage, sitting outside the eight. But yeah, it's going to be interesting. I feel like the media is held off them this week.
Speaker 1: They'll be back on.
Speaker 3: They haven't said like, oh no, they're back or whatever, because they have GWS next week up in Sydney. So I feel like they're just holding fire. It's a bit of a ceasefire and they're putting one back in the chamber because you know, Richmond, they just don't have the players out on the park at the moment to be competitive. Norton, Nutt, James Harms and Darcy all kicked for Bonta Pali again thirty to ten clearances and a goal. Adam Trelaw, who doesn't get the plaud it's he deserves, forty one disposal, seven marks, five tackles and a goal of the Year contender from the pocket. Good celebration too. On his back, hands up. He looks shocked.
Speaker 1: So he looked at shock. I would be amazed if he was going for gold there. If you're going for goal the selfish that I say, it's that. I'm sure he'd probably admitted too. If you go from gold that angle falling down on the side, just as a talkie forward. If you missed that one, I'm giving you a spray from I put it in the top of the square. He looked very shocked, so he went in and it alln't good because he kicked it. He went in.
Speaker 3: Now liber missed this game. I'm really concerned for Liber. I hope he's okay with all of his concussion injuries. But we will say Ed Richards shout out. Yeah, he's moved into the middle. Thirty four touches, ten tackles, seven clearances.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: We all know how good liber is getting the ball out of there. But it's great that Ed Richards has really stood up in a new rule and he's in a new role and he's just doing, you know, really good things.
Speaker 2: So that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Vander Mere for the Bulldogs had a shit injury, so we'll watch that one. But yeah, it's it's a real ceasefire on Western Bulldogs this.
Speaker 1: If they went VERSUSBS next week, it'd be a be a big dub for them, Big dub, big dub.
Speaker 3: Now we're over to your boys, Gold Coast Sons one hundred and twenty to North Melbourne fifty two.
Speaker 1: Chee choe. The trains are covering through twenty to fifty two. My boys are back. You know what it is. We need to just move up to the Dorwin. We need to move up to Tiya Tay right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought you're gonna say it was Dimmers shorts.
Speaker 1: Well, you know there's something about yeah, it's Gold Coast weather up there up there in Dormand. But they did have a twelve goal second half for the Gold Coast, which is the that definitely helps, no doubt about that. Now. I'll let you do the math on that one. But I've been king also kicked three. Jed Walter kick two. It's going to be a superstar of this fella.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's for a guy that so he's obviously still very young, but he's huge.
Speaker 2: I don't know how kids.
Speaker 3: Are getting this big, Like they're coming in at like six six and their midfielders and stuff. He's going to be a big key forward for him, so they're going to have a really strong duo up there. But I think the best thing about watching him, the funnest part of his game is him after the ball hits the ground. So you think big key forward clunking it going back, kicking long goals or whatever.
Speaker 2: But he's ferocious.
Speaker 3: He like chase and tackles these players coming out of their defensive fifty and it's so fun to watch. His follow up is like crazy. He you know, he gets goals as a result of it, so it's almost like he's playing a small forward but he's he's a huge unit, so it's going to be awesome to see him and the just the rest of the Academy players they have coming through the Dimmer gets to have you know, fun with.
Speaker 1: Because he deserves them because hes Tuke.
Speaker 3: Miller took took twenty nine touches and a goal. And another good story. Lloyd Johnston kicked his first goal in his third game. But he's from the Northern Territory, so he had thirty family friends in the crowd watching him.
Speaker 1: A lot of change room passes. You're gonna have to pick and choose who's coming into the rooms after the game.
Speaker 2: Has the Northern Territory change room set up?
Speaker 1: I have never been there, but I actually have been there. I have no idea what the change room setup would be, though, I can't imagine that. Usually like away games, you get even less, so there might be like a mass of like sixty. So if you're asking for half the change impasses, look for a hometown kid though, like you know from the area.
Speaker 2: Other people aren't using there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, surely you just get everyone you know, puts it into a pool and gives them to him.
Speaker 3: Let's jump over to Adelaide versus Brisbane, because this was exciting, but like again, you left with that hollow feeling after the game. It was made a good point because when you're watching at home on the TV, you go, oh, wow, Draw, that's exciting, and then you kind of go and start cooking dinner.
Speaker 2: But when you're at the game, everyone.
Speaker 1: Is just like, well, what what are we doing now?
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 3: Like, there's no song play, there's no up, there's no you're just kind of nothing, and you kind of just get on the train and go home or you get back into your car and it's yeah, it's just a real nothing feeling for it. It's more so for people at the ground I reckon and the players like.
Speaker 1: People who are more emotionally invested, because we're seeing it.
Speaker 3: You ran your ass off and there's still both teams are only thinking of opportunities where they could have won the game. But Adelaide Brisbane ninety old Draw the fog foggy. He came out, had an absolute blinder of a game. Kick four goals and then yeah, one from the boundary and he just kicks dead straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, teach me like arrow straight.
Speaker 3: Well you used to you know what they used to. They still say it. Every time said shot. They're like, oh, this is a really strong part of his game, and then it misses and.
Speaker 1: They just stopped talking about this freaking commentation.
Speaker 3: I think the mozz has gotten even worse this year across the board. Really, with like Fox Footy commentators especially, I feel like they're trying to do it. They know what they're doing, and they're, oh, he's kicked twelve goals won for the season. He put it in the book. We need goals and it's a real thing. It's the mozz is a real thing. Wait attention everyone.
Speaker 1: This is big news. This is big news.
Speaker 3: Big Riley O'Brien has wheeled out the plumber.
Speaker 1: Let's go, jeez, that could really get the clip that out?
Speaker 3: Can we put that as a sound effect in the paddle? Big Riley O'Brien, fifty six hit fifty six, hit out fifty six.
Speaker 1: Well, they're playing prisonman, Big Oh, here's a good rockman too. What do you have, Big oh?
Speaker 3: Still had forty hit outs?
Speaker 1: Okay, did anyone else? Was it just was it a rainy day?
Speaker 3: No, nor at all.
Speaker 1: It makes no sense. I there's like fifty six like stoppages in a game for us usually much less ninety six during the whole like between the two of.
Speaker 3: Them, and they had a couple like big Joey Diego's in there and pitches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the last one too. That is insane. That's a lot of stoppages.
Speaker 3: A lot of pressure, big high volume tackle game. So it might explain a little bit of it. But it was a ripping game to watch.
Speaker 1: It was very good.
Speaker 3: It was a fun ass game to watch, and like the at the dying moments, each team had a crack at winning it.
Speaker 2: It was everything you wanted except for a result.
Speaker 3: And yeah, big Jack Pain, well we will give a shout out to a defender because they don't.
Speaker 1: Often get anywhere get the props.
Speaker 3: But he had his hands full in defense and took twelve marks game, a lot of intercepts. Some of his kicks maybe dish off the run around.
Speaker 2: Handball, but we don't look we're focusing on that.
Speaker 3: But Jordan Dawson, big fella, the skip just running through carried him in the last quarter. A lot of players were quiet until the last quarter, like Locking Neil was down on possessions, Matt Crouch was down on possessions, and they all ended up racking it up in the last quarter because it was ping ponging around in there, back and forth all last quarter. But Jordan Dawson eight hundred meters game, that's a lot of meters, two goal assists, twenty seven touches. But there was a moment that he acknowledged in the postgame interview that he had where he was just really down on himself because he had a shot to win the game and it faded late and went through for a behind, leveled up the scores, and that was all she wrote. There was an interesting coaching move at halftime. You know, if something's not going your way, you might roll the dice. Well, they made their sub tactical sub at halftime, so let's get more speed in this bitch. And unfortunately, after they made the sub about two minutes into the third quarter, as happens, Warrel injured his wrists and got carted straight down the race with his arm slinged in his jumper. So you know, it's not a good one and.
Speaker 1: You just lost one one person for no benefit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got up to the bathroom.
Speaker 3: Jeez, the reactions weren't great. Nixy fully had his head in his head like it was a bit of you know, obviously upset the warrel was injured. But I'm sure in the back of his mind he's like, shit, we just made out a s but yeah, interesting rewaltered. Damas picked it. He's on the Fox Footy commentary and he's like, you wouldn't be making your sub now would you wouldn't be making your sub? And then within five minutes he was proven right and got to have a bit of a head.
Speaker 2: But he's a smart man, Jack.
Speaker 1: But yeah, next Tasmanian have coach and amazing.
Speaker 3: We haven't even talked about the exciting news out of Tazzy. They got new people going down there.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll move on to the West Coast versus Collingwood game.
Speaker 3: Let's jump into that because Collingwood West Coast. I was a bit nervous about this, but didn't have to have any nerves. Maybe after the first little couple of minutes kick the first Yeah, but Collingwood victors one hundred and three to thirty seven. But before the game, we all loved it. Mother's Day, love footy. On Mother's Day, take her down to the game. I don't. I just send my mom a message and that's about it. But Mother's Day, the boys ran up the race holding flowers and there was a wall of mothers and you all ran up and gave the flowers to your mum's. How special was that?
Speaker 1: No, it was really cool. I don't think that happens very often football and bringing flowers out when they're supposed to be just angry reaching the ground. It was interesting. It was lovely that we had him in for for Mother's Day. We had him in the day before to celebrate Mother's Day with all the different players and stuff, which was a cool, special kind of event to have the family in and and see some of the inner sanctum stuff, right, So it was awesome. And then be able to play on the day and have a few little shout outs, you know, during the week. Jane's mom, you know, she did the coin toss for Darcy. Sorry, Jane. Darcy's mom did the coin toss, which is cool, chance mom. And yeah, there was just like little things that kind of came out throughout the week. She's so good. Oh, she's so funny. She's an entertainer, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Can I say I have I feel like Pendall's mom and Braiden's mom looked very similar.
Speaker 1: I could see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see it. Not too sure that's just picked up across.
Speaker 1: We'll let the people. But Donna, Donna one of my favorites for sure. She is the media darling. I think of the mother's.
Speaker 3: Is that where Braiden Maynard gets all his spunk, his charisma riz?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. I think he gets his riz from his mom. Yeah, from a small All right, let's get to the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jump. It was a rough game for West Coast. I think we had a control for most of the game. We dominated a center bounce which was really good, good science there. And there's a goal by Nick I want to say it just just bang one two, one two bang and then kicks one from like fifty five And I think that was the moment where it just kind of teetered real heavy one way in the momentum just fell our way. And we had quite a few goalkickers. We had Joey Richard kicks his first goal debuting, also had Jack Barttel also debuted on the day. Unfortunate for him, he went out with concussion so didn't finish the game. But Joey Richard did kick his first goal, which was quite fun. Always an enjoyable moment to have a first game or kick his first goal in the AFL. Had two shots at it and then the third one he got in, so we're all stoked with that. But he also was a little shout out to him highest pressure player on the ground, nice, which is what you want to see from someone coming into the field like he was everywhere. He was just tackling everyone. Just a menace, and I think that's what you like as a young player coming into a squad. That's what you want out of him. Like you could control your effort going around the ball, whether you kick goals and you know, all that stuff happens and touches whatever. But if you can control the amount of pressure you put on the team, that's one of the things we value highly. So credit to Joey Richardson be able to do that. A few injuries out of this Joe, sorry not Joey. We had scrolling down bro. We had Harvey Harrison did his ankle, Jeremy how did his groin? Jackie Bottel, as I mentioned his had a concussion. So a few more injuries for us, which is not ideal, but I will say, there's one thing I want to shout out here, Harley read for he had a little specky against It was actually on his own teammate was Ojack Tarlan. Dude, just let him have a ladder on his back. Good little mark there. Don't know if it will be mark of the year.
Speaker 3: It was clean, but it was clot it was.
Speaker 1: It was a good little clunk there. Yeah, Waterman was out. I think they missed him quite a bit in this game. Just a different kind of you know, award line for him. A lot of I guess pressure onto Jack Darland. He had a few heavy tackles football. The big fellow was just bang into a few of our boys. But it's funny. I think he got olag. I want to say, he like smacked him and the next thing, you know, he's like helping them off the love. Yeah, that was pretty funny. And then another funny thing that came from this domb sheet. Now we all know Dim Sheeter, this guy who kicked the game winner in the twenty eighteen Grand Final, and it is safe to say the Congwood supporters have not forgotten. They booed him the whole day anytime he got the ball. Just a straight boo and it's safe. I think it's safe. You know, we can all say that Dom Sheet is still living in in a lot of Kinngwood supporters' minds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would take that as a win. If I was, I'm like, oh, they'll never forget me. But yeah, going into the game, everyone comparing Nick Dacos to Harley Reid, and it was kind of just watching what they were doing throughout the game. Nick Dacos off to a flying so was racking them up. You know you're on when you kick it and the rebound comes back to you and then you run on and kick your own goal with all your own disposals. So it was, Yeah, I don't feel like it's fair to compare two players that are in completely different molds, and I feel like the comparison only draws negativity because it's like only one can be good and the other isn't good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but watching the game, man Harley Reid was so impressive and he just kept at it, kept going at it. There was one moment you took a mark and kind of bounced together and I was like, cheers, is he a big boy? In personally?
Speaker 1: Usually if you take the market and I'm a big fellow and you're running through. He gave me a little bumble. Solid solid should feel those pipes.
Speaker 3: Think about his age.
Speaker 1: If you was like nineteen, you should be this solid. You should have another year or two of getting in the gym before you this big brother.
Speaker 3: I think if you ran out and you accidentally bumped into Joey Richards, he's a bit I loved him, but you just like sometimes you look at like I think of Jed Walters from Gold Coast and you're like, some of these kids are coming in just massive, and it's scary. You must shift some tin in the in the gym, I reckon. I'm sure you still have him covered. But yeah, it was a very interesting game. It was It was good to just put it at ease and kind of know that Congwood was going to get the job done. And then, yeah, you kind of slowed down a bit in the last quarter, as you do, and you also had to come.
Speaker 1: With injuries and lets people on the bench. I think we just need to calm the game down, just finish it off.
Speaker 3: Move forward.
Speaker 2: So how do you see.
Speaker 3: This kind of You've got Schultzey to come back in that'll cover one of the roles. It's already been said that like Bow is going to miss again, so it's still going to be missing a few of these players going into the up and coming weeks.
Speaker 1: It's going to be, you know, a little selection week.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a watch and see, that's for sure, because yeah.
Speaker 1: Look last week was a watch and see and this was the outcome. So it's a good sign that we have some young talent coming through and you know, whenever they step up to AFL level. We talked about in this podcast a lot is being able to shine when the moment comes. And over the weekend, I think there's quite a few of the young guns. I did that and you know we had a big spread of goal kickers, which is a good sign.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are you thinking now at this point in the season, happier where it's all trending because start very slow.
Speaker 1: It was panic stations apparently at the corner of the media. I'd come down three.
Speaker 3: How did you turn your pressure around, because obviously the pressure's gone through the roof first, I think three rounds you were twelfth for pressure. Next five rounds, which you've clearly improved. The win last Yeah, number one in terms of pressure.
Speaker 1: So great statistic about you.
Speaker 3: How did that?
Speaker 2: How did you spark that?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a mindset thing a bit, I think, and we do a bit more training stuff, and you know, whenever you put as a focus and show the clips and stuff, it's like, you know, you know what to do. It's just being able, not being able to. We're all able to, but it's putting it as a focus. And when we put as a focus as one of the things, you know, that makes us such a good team. That's whenever I think we kind of started really honing in on that and celebrating that, you know as not only in meetings but out on the ground and stuff like that. There was little tweaks that we made to focus on the positives of what we can do from a pressure standpoint, and I think that's what we did to turn around.
Speaker 3: Jeez, Pendles was good too, wasn't he.
Speaker 1: A little back line? He had a mark in the back line. I'm sitting on the bench and go, oh, look at Jay, You're taking marks in the back line.
Speaker 2: Was a bit scared those he's going for twenty thousand.
Speaker 1: Well it's still playing back line too. The old fellows getting into the back line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah I did. I didn't hear that that he had a bit of a change of role.
Speaker 1: It played really well there too. Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: I think that's what I always say it and it's a very basic old guy thing to say. But pressure. It all comes back to pressure, and young kids can come in and they can bring pressure. They might not have the skill of Scott Pendlebury. That it's four hundred games in.
Speaker 1: Why did you point to me when you said that.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember you.
Speaker 1: Looked to me like a skot plebe.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's all we've got.
Speaker 1: That is it. That is it from the Footy for the round. Thank you so much for listening in you absolute legends. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Oh we do have to say another prayers up? What's that because Corey Homicide Williams. Oh, yes, big friend of the pod came on. But just I had him through the studio a couple of times, met him, was lucky enough to meet and work with him on ESPN at NBL overtime and just an incredible bloke, Like just an amazing bloke lit up the room, great energy, It filled you with like confidence and like just this great hype man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, hype man.
Speaker 3: It's so sad, Like I was so shocked by it. His mindset was like on another level. It was amazing to have him in and we that podcast was like one of the longest we've ever done.
Speaker 1: Just because it's he was so willing to give stories in like entertainment and the way he spoke and the way he you know, was able to conduct himself. And yeah, it was tough. It was tough to hear that. I know, he's you know, he was going through a battle with cancer for for a while and it's it's a tough thing. Man. He was one of those people though that you know, if there was any person that was going to try his hardest and try to fight through this thing, he was going to be the best, best, best chance of doing it. So unfortunate news that he's passed over the you know, over the week, and we want to say, you know, a big shout out to his family. Prays up to you all and hopefully you're okay, and you know, celebrating an incredible life that he lived, moving from America over here playing basketball and being successful with that and then making it in the media here. You know, he changed. I think the NBL for for the better. And anyone that's you know, been involved with him over the years always had something amazing to say. So, you know, shout out to him and his family hopefully all right, and you know, we appreciated his time whenever he was on the podcast and had an amazing chat. They actually had the I think Ilwara had beaten the NBA. You know, he was freaking out after he got out of the vand oh, it's such a funny thing. I drove him home and he was just like on his phone, like losing it. I was like, this guy just loves what he does, and.
Speaker 2: I think that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he obviously had so much more to give, but what he gave in the time that he was here, it's incredible. It was more than most by a long stretch. So yeah, prayers up to homicide and his family and yes, sir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's it from us today. Thank you so much for listening in check out. We also have another podcast coming out for sorry Thursday. Thursday, our preview. We're gonna do some footy questions and fan questions, talk about the dating lifestyle, and Taylor Swift his back all for the ladies out there and who knows, maybe some of the guys. But that is it from us today. Thank you so much for listening, and well he's just tune in later this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah,