Speaker 1: Hey guys, and a big, big, big welcome back to another episode of Life One Cut. It is our first official episode back of twenty twenty two, and we are so so chuffed to be back in your ears.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura and this is Brittany, and god, it feels good to be back. How was everyone's holiday?
Speaker 1: Although I feel like that was already twenty five months ago? Also, was that just a rhetorical question? Like, everybody's sitting in your cars right now, wherever you're listening to this podcast, just give us like ten seconds answer?
Speaker 2: How was it? Did you get the spicy corfee you're feeling? Okay? Did you manage to avoid it? Okay? All of us did?
Speaker 1: Hey, Laura, that was a rhetorical question. I was just putting it out to the people. You don't all have to DM me how your holiday was. But I do hope everyone had a really great break. And I did say this earlier, Laura. When is it that you stop seeing Happy New Year? Oh?
Speaker 2: Definitely, we've said it. You said this on the last That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Done.
Speaker 2: People are still in my inbox Happy New Year?
Speaker 1: No, everybody in my inbox now is like, dear Laura insert pleasantries about COVID, Like that's what everybody's email says at the moment.
Speaker 2: No my emails, Dear Brittany, Happy New Year.
Speaker 1: Following up on the one hundred emails I have sent you over the last four months, can you please get back to me? Oh, it's like this, everyone's still I know where that we were at the eighteenth of January, but everyone's still in that weird phase of like, are you back fully into work? Do you hate your life already? Does twenty twenty two stuck? Is it going to be amazing? Have you actually broken your New Year's resolutions or managed to exercise every day for the past two weeks?
Speaker 2: If you have, good on you, I certainly haven't.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to jinx myself, but I'm pretty excited to say I still haven't been.
Speaker 2: I still haven't improved myself from last year. I haven't touched my New Year's resolution.
Speaker 1: Happy to say I am exactly the same amount of hot mess as I was in twenty twenty one. Nothing has changed, and I feel good about it. New Year's resolutions are always a bit too ambitious for me. I will never not be a hot mess. I don't think that day's ever gonna come.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: What I'm gonna say is I feel like I just spend every day now and it's a gamble.
Speaker 2: I'm like, when's it gonna happen every day? Dodging COVID.
Speaker 1: I am one of the people that have somehow managed to live in the epicenter of COVID. Bondai I diagnosed COVID throughout the start of the pandemic. When I was working in the hospital, I traveled to America where there was COVID. I do not know how I was around you, Laura when you got diagnosed. I was like, great, Laura's ruined Christmas for me. Me it was me, I ruined Christmas for every time.
Speaker 2: I'm like, great, I've got COVID.
Speaker 1: Laura's got COVID, Mad's got COVID. I'd been around all these people that got COVID. I was like, one hundred percent, I'm getting it. I've dodged it. I don't know how, and you watch, I'll probably get it tomorrow now that I've jinxed myself on the podcast. Did you see the media release that actually came out that if you don't get it by January, they give you a prize.
Speaker 2: Shut up, I'll take it anyway. Guys.
Speaker 1: That enough about the COVID chat the word that she'll never be said again. We have an awesome, awesome episode for you today. We are coming in as hot as we could possibly come in back at twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Steaming.
Speaker 1: Oh god, we are steaming. We are burning, we are sizzling in this episode. Do you know who is steaming in this episode? Wilson Well, part of Reblue Steaming for sure. Brittany finally used her powers for good. She got Rebel Wilson rebels on the pod. She's here, she joins, Actually, do you know what? We joined her? We went to Rebe Wilson's house. We sat in her ridiculously bougie house. She asked us if we wanted steelwater or sparkling water. We wrote in the elevator for fun. We didn't even have to go upstairs.
Speaker 2: We just did it. Her house is three levels and it has an elevator.
Speaker 1: It's like it's a beautiful home, yes, with beautiful water with a jetty. Anyway, before we get into that, we want to say a very big thank you to our sponsor who made today's episode possible, and that is the Iconic. Now, you guys already know that they are easily the best place to shop for fashion, but there's so much more than that. They're not just a fashion brand, guys. They are now a lifestyle brand. They have women's, men's, kids, sport, beauty, and homewares. There is literally something for everyone. So a very big thank you to The Iconic for jumping on board today. It has already been a bloody massive year. First off the ranks is that we finally hit twenty million downloads, and we wanted to say thank you so much to all of you who listened last year, to every single person who's supported the podcast, who's been part of the Facebook group, who's been part of the discussions, every single one of you who's written a message to us saying that an episode has helped you in a way, or you've given us maybe you've messaged us and said, hey, you really should talk about this, and we've taken your topic advice. So we just want to say thank you so much because without you, guys, we never would have gotten to twenty million. Literally, it still blows my mind that we have been listening to twenty million times. Laura, and for those people that are new, even in the last year. I guess we've been around for about two and a half years now. I think I just have to do the math. I think it's about two and a half years, about two hundred and twenty ish episodes.
Speaker 2: Can you believe we've spent that much time together? Every day it's sunny, spend more time with you than I do with Matt and my own children.
Speaker 1: I know we are the real love story here, but I remember, for those of you that are on you and haven't been with us from the very beginning, first of all, go back to the beginning and you'll have probably a lull at how far we have come and a difference in the records.
Speaker 2: But I remember Laura and I.
Speaker 1: Doing our very first record, and I remember we were saying to each other, oh my god, I hope someone listens to us. How many people would you be stoked for? And we were like, we hope five hundred people listen. We hope five hundred people we can reach. It just went bonkers at the start, but I think the first episode only got maybe, like don't quote me, five thousand listens, and Laura and I were beside ourselves. We were just so excited that we had this new platform that we could speak to you guys, that we could form this community, and I think we just had no idea how far we would come and the community we would create. And for us, the best part is the community. We've said it so many times, but we just cannot get enough of you guys and the love and the support and the bloody hilarity that you bring to life on cut Well. I think the best part of it is that we didn't really go I mean, Britta and I we did nothing special to create this community. You guys created it yourselves. We brought the content, and you guys brought the conversation. And I think it's just a testament to the fact that, like dating's fucking hard, we've all had really challenging experiences when it comes to being heartbroken and when it comes to trying to navigate what our love lives are. And that's what this all started out as at the very beginning. It was a space to be able to kind of wade through the shit of what relationships are. And there's something incredibly galvanizing. I know, I say the word galvanizing a lot because you guys have been talking about it in the Facebook group. But there's something incredibly bonding over heartbreak, and that's where it started.
Speaker 2: Laura pools up and saw us on a computer. Literally.
Speaker 1: Actually, that was something that did come up over the Christmas break, over the holidays, and I really loved it. And we're trying to work out a way that we can make something physical in this world. Somebody put together, one of you fucking legends put together a drinking game.
Speaker 2: And it was in the podcast.
Speaker 1: It's like, every time Laura says one of these words, you take a shot, every time Brittany says one of these words like lol Cano, you take a shot.
Speaker 2: And I thought it was brilliant and.
Speaker 1: I thought there must be something in this that we can make a physical game that we give you guys that you can I guess just get drunk on. But well done to whoever made that. We absolutely loved it. I had a really good chuckle. The other quick thing that we wanted to tell you is we do have just such a huge year planned for you guys, and one of the big things we're kicking off with is radio. I'm sure that's not new to you because we've been so chuffed about it and so hyped about it. We've spoken about it, we've promoted, we've we've linked you, We've done everything we can. But we did have our first show last week.
Speaker 2: Just on the weekend.
Speaker 3: Went well.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I was so nervous, who fucking knows, But we did it. We've got the first cab off the rank and it can only get better from here.
Speaker 2: It can only get better from here.
Speaker 1: Now, someone I want to talk to you about where things aren't going so well, is Drake. Please tell me you have about the situation with Drake and the condiment, this spicy condoment. I mean, it's a saucy story, guys. This is the story that we Nobody could have ever thought that twenty twenty two was going to kick off with this. But it's truly the story that has brought a lot of joy and also a lot of questions into my life. If you haven't heard the story that has happened to Drake, it's been circulating in the news.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say it's.
Speaker 1: Very reputable news sources like it's not been on news dot com, for example, not.
Speaker 2: Lad Bible, call TACD.
Speaker 1: It's on lab Bible, It's been on Daily Mail, but there is an Instagram model who has come out and accused Drake of tampering with his condoms. Now, when I say tampering with his condoms, I don't mean that he has been putting holes in them or doing any of that. I mean after he's ejaculated, he's tampering with the sperm, his own sperm, tampering with his own sperm to stop anybody from trying to steal his sperm, which is just very There's a lot of questions around how you get to that point. Basically, Drake cooked up with an Instagram model at a party, and the alleged sauce goes like this. After the party, they went back to his hotel. They smoked some weed for a bit, and he asked if she wanted to have sex.
Speaker 2: She said.
Speaker 1: He was very intent on ensuring things were consensual. He then went to the bathroom and came out with a condom on After they'd finished having sex, Drake supposedly went to the bathroom to dispose of the condom. Now, the Instagram model who has gone unnamed, has fished the condom out of the trash, untied it, and put the opening of that condom into her vagina.
Speaker 2: She's tried to impregnate herself secretly in the bathroom after they have had consensual sex.
Speaker 1: Yes, that she was in for a bit of a surprise. She's in for a bit of a spicy surprise because Drake had put hot sauce into his own condom to try and kill the sperm, thinking that maybe this was going to happen. There are so many things here that I just want to pick my drop off the ground on. Let's just start from one who.
Speaker 2: Carries hot sauce.
Speaker 1: But this is the Okay, this is the question. Did he carry hot sauce with the specific intention of using it to kill the sperm, or was it just like, oh fuck, I've got this sperm. I'm worried she's gonna try and take it instead.
Speaker 2: Of putting it.
Speaker 1: We'll just quickly go and get the food that I've ordered room service, and I'll get some hot sauce from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, he one hund And this is actually, let's be serious for a minute. This is very really really serious issue. He has been carrying the hot sauce. Obviously, I didn't know hot sauce killed sperm. He obviously carries that because this is an issue for him. He's obviously worried that women and it's probably not the first time that women are going to try and fall pregnant to him.
Speaker 2: And I think that what a.
Speaker 1: World we have to live in if you need to carry hot sauce and then pour it into your own news condom.
Speaker 2: And I mean lucky he did, because she tried to do it. She literally tried to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know the story in itself is like pretty funny, but if this was reverse, like if this was a guy and a girl in the situation were reversed, I don't think we would think of it as being so funny. So I do think that we have to acknowledge that the conversation around consent here is very, very problematic, and this is a fucking huge issue that he even has to do it in the first place. But the thing that makes this story so outrageous and wild is that the Instagram model in question has come out and said that she is suing Drake. She is going to be the one to sue Drake because of the damages that have occurred to her vagina after she tried to steal his sperm from the hot sauce. Because she was literally on fire, so she I mean, could you imagine putting a bit of tabasco in yr.
Speaker 2: Haha, and then.
Speaker 1: But then trying to sue, Like, in my mind, surely there is no person on this earth that would let her win in this situation when she tried to steal his sperm from a condom and inseminate herself.
Speaker 2: Surely there is no judge in history that is.
Speaker 1: Going to say, yes, Drake, you need to pay her damages for something that she did to herself. I guess the question is that maybe I mean, if you're a lawyer, I want to know, like, how is this going to play.
Speaker 2: Out an American lawyer?
Speaker 1: Maybe there's something around intent, because if he's doing it knowing full well that someone is going to do that to themselves, he's setting up a trap where someone's going to cause it's going to cause bodily harm to them, even if the intention of them was something.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean? Yeah? But I imagine imagine, for.
Speaker 1: Example, if you had someone try and break into your house, and you thought someone's going to break in through that window, and you set up an automatic gun or something that when they opened the window, it shot them you would be sued because you are the one who, even though they tried to break in, you caused harm to them. So I think, in this crazy, fucked up world, she might actually have some stance for suing him.
Speaker 2: It's wild.
Speaker 1: I will give up on humanity if that's the case, if she actually wins.
Speaker 2: But this is really a thing.
Speaker 1: So when I when I delved into this, there are there are whole basketball teams like NBA teams. There are a lot of sporting teams whose management tell them advise them. They have group meetings and they're like, if you go on hook up with a woman, if you're having a one night stand, if you're doing whatever else, you take your condom, you tie it up, you put in your pocket, you put it in a bag. You do not put it in a bin, You do not leave it or you you make sure it's one hundred p cent disposed of. It's obviously an issue that's reoccurring totally. But what team manager is saying, Hey, get some hot sauce and put it in like, tie it up and put it in your backpack. Can you imagine how much Drake's can get paid to do a hot sauce commercial on Instagram. Right now, he's going to make more from a Hot Sauce company than he is from any of his music. He did come out and say, though he was a bit quiet, he's really a photo and he's put one statement up, and I think it was a bit of a power move. It was a bit of a nothing statement. You didn't know what it was about, but it's obviously about her. He just put a photo up and said, you can have your fifteen minutes of fame. I'll take the other twenty three hours.
Speaker 2: And forty five minutes. Oh, saucy, saucy boom. I like it, don't you.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, well, just when we thought twenty twenty one had everything it could possibly offer us, twenty twenty two it's given us this wonderful little gem of a story. And like we said earlier, I know that there are some big conversations here around consent, and we're not making jokes of that. It's just the absolute outrageousness that I can't even believe that this is a story. I can't even believe that that's where we're at. No, No, And it's very serious. We're joking because it's hot sauce, but it's very serious. It's very serious issue of consent. But it's important to note that by all accounts and from the Instagram model that this was very much consensual on Drake's behalf. The sex, that is, the rest of it was not. So I'm interested to see how this plays out. I think that nothing's going to surprise me anymore. But follow this very very tightly. All right, well, we do have a huge episode for you today. It is a long one, but you know what, it's one that you can listen to when you drive to work and then come home from work, put it on when you're in the shower. It's going to be the gift that keeps on giving. But we're going to get into our favorite segment which we do on every episode, and that is accidentally unfiltered and confessional.
Speaker 2: Oh you have a confession. I bring in a confessional today. All right, I've gotten actually unfiltered. I'm going to go first. This one is not disgusting, which I love the fact that we need to preface it with that. All right, here we go.
Speaker 1: I went on a first date with a guy from Hinge and it ended up being a great night.
Speaker 2: Well, that is funny. We went off listen to you. He's seeing yourself and your own joke. She's fucking gone for gold, probably the best one I've done.
Speaker 1: And that's the end of the episode. Thanks for listening. That is, he accidentally unheltered.
Speaker 2: We went from one bar to another.
Speaker 1: We had great conversations, and he ended up coming back to mine.
Speaker 2: In the morning. We woke up and went.
Speaker 1: To go get Brecky together, and before we left, I was talking about someone I thought may have been a mutual friend of ours. I went to look them up on Facebook with him standing right next to me, and up Pops my Facebook search history, showing that I'd stalked not only him, but his brother and his grandfather.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up, Pops?
Speaker 1: I was really doing my due diligence before the date. I went down a full on rabbit hole trying to find out as much information as possible. He was obviously really taken aback and wouldn't stop bringing it up over breakfast. Safe to say, there wasn't a second date, as I tried to come up with every excuse under the sun as to why I had looked up his brother and his grandfather and how I even knew their names in the first place. Okay, the brother I get I totally get that. The grandpa, what you tell me, what information are you gonna get from someone's pop? That's just it right, Like even if you do find the granddad, it's gonna be grand family photos.
Speaker 2: You're like, what, Like, how deep are you gonna get there?
Speaker 1: That's not hitting in Vegas with him, They're not going out partying, they're not dropping dollars. Maybe you want to see a couple more photos. Maybe she wasn't convinced about Maybe his Instagram was a little bit obscure. Can you know how some people just pose like moody you can half see their face. They look way hotter than they do in real life. Maybe she was like, pops will have a really authentic family photo.
Speaker 2: Is gonna be unfiltered.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I've got one that's similar. I have a confessional. But now, after hearing your accidently unfiltered, I might just bring it accidentally unfiltered as well, because it ties into that you can try to one up my accidentally unfiltered Si, it's not as funny as yours, So I have another funny one to ga. It's just a perfect time, Like it's a perfect okay.
Speaker 2: I could just run accidentally unfiltered's all day.
Speaker 1: So my ex got a new girlfriend and I was absolutely devastated.
Speaker 2: Relatable.
Speaker 1: My best friend asked me on a walk to take my mind off it. As I'm walking to meet my friend, I'm doing my hourly stalk of my ex's new girlfriend as you do, because we all do it, she posted a photo of them together. Me being the dramatic girl that I am, I burst into tears. I put my phone in my pocket and I ran hysterically to meet my friend.
Speaker 2: I was like.
Speaker 1: As I got to my friend, I pulled out my phone to show him the photo, only to realize that.
Speaker 2: I had run with my phone unlocked whilst I was running. My phone pulled a swift on me.
Speaker 1: It decided to not only share my ex's post to random people via message, but also to reshare I had the photo on my story safe to say my exit. Your girlfriend knows I'm an absolute pre show.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine?
Speaker 1: I mean, you did this a long time ago, but can you imagine? Can you imagine you pull up your phone and your ex has shared a photo of you and your new partner, like kissing or something on this story?
Speaker 2: Do you fuck.
Speaker 1: I yes, I can imagine this because Okay, I told this story going back.
Speaker 2: Like two years ago. I can't imagine this because it was me.
Speaker 1: If you're an OG listener, you'll know the story, but if you're not, this will be new to you because this was possibly the most mortifying thing I've ever done in my entire life. My ex boyfriend, there was a bit of overlap in my relationship with him and his ex girlfriend, right, and it made me crazy because.
Speaker 2: A cute way to say there was cheating. Well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was an overlap. I didn't know at the time, right, but there was something that was amiss, Like I found out later in the relationship, there was a bit of an overlap. But it made me crazy that he was still in contact with his ex girlfriend when we had started dating. And yeah, I was like, you know, I was always talking her Instagram. Oh were not on Instagram? Wasn't around that.
Speaker 2: I was always talking her Facebook. I was talking her tumbler. She had a tumbler.
Speaker 1: Did you guys remember that she had a blook and she would always put up photos and videos and things that were like aimed at him, or songs that were aimed at him, so I was always stalking her tumbler.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I got out of the wind beneath my wings, you are the wind.
Speaker 1: No, she put up that gotcha song, you know, the one which is like somembodied that a fucking cast.
Speaker 2: Yes, it traumatized me. I was traumatized. Anyway.
Speaker 1: I got onto her Facebook this one day and I was like, you know, back in the day where the search bar and the status update, we're kind of right next to each other.
Speaker 2: So I had fat fingers, You're in a lot of trouble.
Speaker 1: I typed her entire name into my status update and updated my status for five hours your ex boy to.
Speaker 2: Your boyfriend's ex girlfriend's name.
Speaker 1: And then I went to work and I got a phone call at three o'clock in the afternoon, and my boyfriend at the time was like, hey, Laura, I think you might want to change your status on Facebook, and all these people had just written question marks underneath, like question marks, question marks like I could have done. I hate myself now. If she's listening, I'm sorry, I'm not crazy anymore. You actually out as well. Do many people know us? I probably should edit that out. I think we need to change the name let's beef the name.
Speaker 2: Produce a keisha. That's your job. Beep out of the name.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that was a that's embarrassing anyway. Okay, give me your give me your last one.
Speaker 2: Give me.
Speaker 1: Then I'm going to give you a confessional because I feel like I'm sorry, but I cannot repent. I mean, you cannot repent here with us.
Speaker 2: I have PTSD from that. Bring me your confessional.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a confessional. It is a bit more of a serious confessional. I do not feel like you can repent here, But thank you for trying, and thank you for sharing. You definitely know you to go and speak to someone that can do it for you, probably like a counselor no, like your priest, like the police. When I was seven, my local church left their doors unlocked, so me and my cousins went inside snooping.
Speaker 2: They had a Christmas.
Speaker 1: Tree set up with heaps of wrapped up beautiful presents. We unwrapped every single one, we picked out what we wanted, and we took them home.
Speaker 2: A week later, somebody snitched on us. We had to.
Speaker 1: Return all of our new toys and attend Sunday school for a month as punishment.
Speaker 2: The worst part is.
Speaker 1: The presents were for underprivileged kids in a third world country.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool. Am I a bad person? Yes? Yes? Seven or not?
Speaker 1: I am glad there was a little snitch that dubbed you in. But I just think at seven, okay it all Honestly, at seven, you don't really know what you're doing. You're like, Oh, Mom's never gonna buy me that truck. I'm going to take that truck. You do know what you're doing. But guess what, people change. I'm a different person to who I was when I was seven.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope at.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven she's not stealing from under the Christmas tree anymore.
Speaker 2: But bless your soul.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, let's get into what you all actually came here for, because I'm sure it wasn't that. But we do have Rebel Wilson on the podcast, and if you've been following along for a little while, it's a long time come, you'll know that sporadically, over the last eighteen months, Rebel's name has been brought up for a multitude of reasons, and that Britt also just likes to drop her on her Instagram feed like they're cool.
Speaker 2: Casual friends.
Speaker 1: You guys know, Rebel's name has been dropped a multitude of times over the last eighteen months. She was always someone that I loved as an actress.
Speaker 2: I just was obsessed with her.
Speaker 1: I'd tried to get her on the podcast a few times, like when Laura and I wrote our list of who we want to speak to in life. We both brought the list to each other and we thought some of them were like real big shots who were like, we're never going to get these people. Rebel was always on my list. Fast forward and I met her in real life. She's a big tennis fan. Obviously, I was traveling with Jordan.
Speaker 2: We met. We became very very fast friends. She's a really, really.
Speaker 1: Incredible woman, someone that you were I mean, you're gonna learn that for yourself very soon. She's a bit of an unexpected package. But we did become friends. We do hang out now. I have nothing but amazing things to say about her. And I know, Laura, you were quite surprised when you met Rebel. She's probably not what people.
Speaker 2: Think she is.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like people would think that she's a huge personal and like always like she's very funny, But I feel like you would expect that she's a bit more on all the time, and I think she's just she's so warm, she's so lovely. She's incredibly intelligent, like like fiercely smart, and just a really awesome person to sit down and have a chat with. But one thing that Britt hasn't shared is the fact that she slid into her DMS many moons ago. And that is a story that Britt finally shares with Rebel. The cool factor that Brit has been. You know, Rebel thinks that BRIT's cool.
Speaker 2: I don't think she does.
Speaker 1: It's finally dropped. The facade is finally gone. No, we told her in the pod. You'll hear about it in a minute. But I mean I slid into Rebel's MS before I knew her, trying to get her on the podcast, and then when I met her, I was hoping that that wasn't a thing. But we're going to get into that. I'm not going to talk too much about it now, But there are a lot of things you guys gonna learn about Rebel. Some things you may already know, like the fact that she's a lawyer and she does a lot of humanitarian work. But other things you might not know, like she was just included in the BBC one hundred Women for twenty twenty one, so that was just in December, along so many inspirational But it's really to celebrating women doing amazing things for the world, amazing things in their career, and we're all about celebrating women.
Speaker 2: So let's get into the chat with Rebel.
Speaker 1: Well, there is someone you guys have been requesting to come on this podcast for a very very long time.
Speaker 2: And there is somebody I haven't even introduced.
Speaker 3: Ye okay, all right, shut up until.
Speaker 1: Someone that I have been trying to get on this podcast for long then you know, or actually I did tell you about it.
Speaker 2: But I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: To finally welcome the one and only a Rebel Wilson to life.
Speaker 3: I'm popular, Hi, Britt, Hi Laura. Awesome to be here, ladies, awesome.
Speaker 1: Who are sitting in your house? So thanks for having us at your place to record?
Speaker 3: It was more convenient for me. Just you guys rack up. Yeah, and you brought snacks as well.
Speaker 2: Now look, I just want to kick off. I have a question.
Speaker 1: I'm going to put you on the spot here. I have something I've wanted to know from I have something I want to know for a long time stream person. Yet you can be so honest, it's not going to offend me. All right, I've sat on this rebel.
Speaker 2: For two years?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 1: Did you know who I was before we met in real life?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think I did from Johono who trained me. Okay, that right?
Speaker 2: Do you know John why you're telling the story?
Speaker 3: But how long has this podcast been?
Speaker 2: About two and a half years.
Speaker 3: I definitely listened to like one or two of the podcasts.
Speaker 2: I'm loving how Uncomfortable right now Rebels sitting here? Are you guys? Okay?
Speaker 3: So, but I never saw your Bachelor, which is weird because I do love Bacher and Bacheorette. But I never saw your season. You guys were in the same season.
Speaker 1: No, we were in different seasons. I don't like our friendship wouldn't be quite as strong if we were competing.
Speaker 2: For the same man.
Speaker 1: No, she won Maddie Jay, they've got kids and engaged, and I got Dune by the Hounter Badger.
Speaker 3: I just got They're like literally the two seasons. I haven't wat There was something about Johno said something about, yeah, this chick wanting to get into acting or something. And I'm pretty sure that is you.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is the story, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've told you this, but but you have always been whenever I've done interviews after TV, whenever anyone's asking me about it, they're like, who's your inspo?
Speaker 2: I was like, Rebel Wilson, I fucking love her. I think I'm not just like.
Speaker 3: Kissing your ass.
Speaker 2: It's what I've always said.
Speaker 1: You know, people like why and I'm like, she's so funny, she's a great actress.
Speaker 2: She's so smart.
Speaker 3: She's a lawyer.
Speaker 1: You know, she went to Hollywood at thirty. She wasn't twenty like everybody else. She really paved her own way. See, this is why I love her. And I've been trying to get you on the podcast. When Laura and I said who do we want to interview, I was like, I would love to get reb Wilson. I have slid into your DMS. I don't know if you remember, but you actually wrote back to me and I yeah, But then.
Speaker 2: Me though, I don't think so, and this is the question. I don't think it was you.
Speaker 3: So sometimes my team, I don't really look at the dms because I get crazy shit on the DM so I don't really look at them. And I also get thatut like you can say, I get like a thousands a day.
Speaker 1: So before I slid into your I woke up one morning to which was the most exciting day of my life.
Speaker 2: I told him about the podcast. I woke up to.
Speaker 1: An Instagram message that said Rebel Wilson started following you, and I was like, oh, obviously it's a Rebel Wilson fan account because someone's heard that. You know, I think she's a great actress. And I went into it and it was you, and I lost my shit. I was like, how is my favorite actress following me? I was like, we didn't have any mutual friends, we'd never spoken. I was beside myself. Yeah, and then I said on the podcast, I was like, evidently she's either tried to stalk me and it's been a slip of the finger, or I've been on the Explore page and she's accidentally press following. I was like, anyway, I'm giving this two weeks max before I pop back in a fee and she's like, who the fuck is that and unfollowing me. The two weeks to the day you unfollowed me. The funny thing is is that.
Speaker 2: Britt has told this story.
Speaker 1: On the podcast before about how you followed her on Instagram, how she slid into your dms, and then everyone who listens has been like, Brittany manifested a friendship with Refa Wilson through this Instagram the mishap, I was like, there's no way she actually cared about me or wants to follow me a slip of the thumb, or it's not you and someone else's managing your account have done it. Anyway, I got two weeks.
Speaker 3: That when John I mentioned it that I like went on and then.
Speaker 2: Just thought she was boring.
Speaker 3: And then and then you were like, look at all these purse strafts and then damn.
Speaker 1: It could be really like I could have it could have been me, I think, really, I just thought I was there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was one of my teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, you gave me two weeks, two weeks of happiness before you took it away.
Speaker 3: So isn't that weird that we then ended up meeting.
Speaker 1: Well, then I wrote to you and I said I tried to play cool, but I was like, you know, like we'd love to have in the podcast. You know, I do all these interviews and we've had some great people, and then you wrote back, not you, I'm doing you in Inverted Commas was obviously like someone on your team. The fact that you actually wrote back or even said that on the podcast. I was like, look, Rebel did get back to me.
Speaker 2: She declined.
Speaker 1: You were like, no, you're a polit You were like, yeah, look, that's great, congratulations on your success.
Speaker 2: You were really sweet.
Speaker 1: You're like, I'm really busy at the moment, but I would love to one day when my schedule clears. So here we are, eighteen months later, professional of your PR team.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, wait, I followed you followed me, and then I also mad it how long? Maybe it took me? And then I realized maybe, and that's why am I following?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I said. I said, she's going to realize soon.
Speaker 1: I'm going to post something. I'm going to come up in her feed. Because you only followed like two or three hundred people. I was like, she doesn't know she's done it. I was like, there's no other reason for.
Speaker 2: Her to have done it. Yeah, and you did.
Speaker 1: You obviously saw a post and you were like, on the far I bought mission immediately.
Speaker 3: So for playing with your emotions, Yeah, I'm sorry, Brian.
Speaker 1: I also love that this is the first time you've ever said this story, and that you've been holding onto this for weeks now.
Speaker 2: Well, I knew the time would come. I knew should get on the podcast one day.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm here, I'm here, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I'm excited for? It's how we start every single one of our interviews, not this one.
Speaker 2: Apparently we've got it.
Speaker 1: We had a special treat for you today, a special little surprise. We start our episodes the same way. That is, asking if you're accidentally unfiltered story, your most embarrassing story are you going to share with everyone? And I hear you have one that you haven't told before.
Speaker 3: Brit pre warned me about this last night and I go, well, I've got a story about shitting myself and she's like, yep, yeah. Then I have a sex story that was like quite quite embarrassing as well.
Speaker 2: She's like, do you think I should tell who or sex? And I'm like, girl both.
Speaker 3: Britt said she wanted both stories, so I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I'll and he's never before told Well, I might.
Speaker 3: Have told the shitting myself story, but the other one definitely not publicly. So I think you might remember when we were in Los Angeles with Jordan and we went on that hike yep. So that hike is like a classic hike that I do in LA. It's in Griffith Park and I love ever since I first moved to Hollywood. I love it because you can see the Hollywood Sign and I think the Hollywood sign rings me luck give it a little kiss, so when I see it, I'm like yes. And anyway, so one day, anyone who's like an emotional eater might or had struggles with food or whatever, might you know understand this story. But I was like having a bit of a down day. I ordered like a whole pizza for lunch my sad one bedroom apartment, and just like ate the whole pizza and I feel like I had like a thing of two liter and pepsi or something like that as well, and just like downed it. And then I started feeling like even more sad and a bit depressed because I was like, why did I just go and eat all of that? So I'm like, you know what, I'm gonna fix this I'm going to go out for a walk. So I go on the hunk and you know, it's hiking up hill and feeling like I was feeling very sluggish after eating. I mean that would have been probably thousands of calories. And then I was like, yeah, okay, but I'm burning it off now so slowly. And then I start coming down the hill and there's kind of houses between my house and the park, and then I like just get this instant feeling like I've got to go to the toilet, like I can't make it the few streets back.
Speaker 2: To my place or when it hits you, it hits you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and me, and I was like it was all inside and it just had to come out. And I was like, but okay, I'm fairal like I'm just in like leggings, like I don't look nice. I don't have any makeup on or whatever. Like I'd been in the movie Bridesmaid, so I was kind of recognized, like not a superstar or anything, but I was kind of recognizable. So I was like, oh geez. And then I was like then I was like, so I'm like in the residential street, there's house on both sides, and I'm like Okay, I got it. I gotta like go, like should I just ask somebody? And then I was like I can't. What am I gonna do? Just knock on their door and say, can I use your What do you do? What do you do? It was too far to walk. I knew there was a toilet at the park, it was too far to walk back. Like, I wouldn't have made that either, and then I wouldn't definitely wouldn't have made my house. Like I was trying to hold it in. I couldn't. So I'm like, I'm just gonna have to go in somebody's front yard.
Speaker 2: No, and then I was like I just have to.
Speaker 3: And then I saw this house and then and then I'm like, I'm just gonna do it. But there wasn't any coverage. It wasn't like there were shrubs and bushes so you could hide behind just on the lawn.
Speaker 2: Like a dog. Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: So there was kind of a bush, but it went to the side, so I didn't really provide much coverage. So I just went near that and I just had to. Like I literally had about thirty seconds logistically.
Speaker 1: Speaking, how far off the road are we We're talking like two meters off the footpath was a deep property.
Speaker 3: It had a nice front garden, but I was probably four meters from like, you know, it was very grass, you know, it was a grassy, nice, nicely mode grass. And I was like, this is the one. I got it. I could only make a radius of a few houses, like and I was like, Okay, that's the one. But there was no coverage, like there was no tree or something I could go behind, Like, it just wasn't like that on that street. If it was running down your leg or something like that be bad, that be really bad. So anyway, I squat in the person's front yard and then you know, I'm just kind of frozen, and I'm just going, what if somebody sees this?
Speaker 2: Like what if what if you were papped at the end?
Speaker 3: I know because I often get papped there and so like going on the hike. But then a car.
Speaker 2: Pulls in the driveway. Yeah, no, I see.
Speaker 3: It was like it was on the curb. In the curb, so not in the driveway. The driver's right there. But so it must have been a visitor to the house. And then I'm like, they're gonna see me if they get out of that car. They're gonna see me, so my mind because I'm still squatting on the front lawn like yeah, like it's so disgusting, like I can't even my mind goes. If they come and say something, I'm just gonna scream I'm pregnant. I'm pregnant. I don't know why that was my thing. Why do you have to scream it at This is just what I was like gonna say because you've got to say something. And then the man gets out and I'm like if he walks in to the house like he's you cannot miss me, like you can't, but I'm frozen. And then he walked to the other house and he didn't see me. So I just pulled up my pants and then I left.
Speaker 1: Imagine if they had like a video cam or something to check back and there's Rebel Wilson doing a pool in the front yard.
Speaker 3: No, but I wasn't like it's super super fain like I'd done Bridesmaids, which was a big hit, but I wasn't like I don't think my name faced recognition as we call it in the business, was that strong at that point. But do you know how I was like, that is like my worst nightmare.
Speaker 1: Don't remember the articles that used to come out about the poo jogger in Sydney. There was someone who was doing it every morning outside of Boxy.
Speaker 2: Just sentos us. They became known as the poo jogger.
Speaker 3: They would just go to the toilet in people's front yard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was going for a run every morning and purposely doing a pool in the front yard of people's houses.
Speaker 3: It was not, I swear to god it wasn't. But if anyone is listening, and maybe they owned a house and lost feelers and was very confused by what had happened, and now they understand, just know, I'm very very sorry, and it won't happen again. And I hope that those nutrients went into the ground and.
Speaker 1: Maybe that beautiful little shrub that we were squad of heind is now a big flourishing tree.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's good from I'll call it the rebel bush. Yes, anyway, I love that story.
Speaker 3: Embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do want to know your sex story.
Speaker 3: So that one wasn't enough of embarrassment.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know how you could have a worse one. But I'm really happy that you.
Speaker 3: Do okay with this one. Well, I can't place the because I don't want people to know who it was with very handsome X. Very handsome. Well, that's all i'm gonna say. Shut up, shut up, or I won't say it. So it was a very handsome X. And I was, yeah, what do I say, Like I was giving a blowjob. It was the situation. Everyone was having a great time. I finish, and I came up to like give a kiss on the mount, you know, get somewhere. Yeah, And as I was coming up, he accidentally elbowed me in the eye, like right in the eye. And the shock of it because it was just it was just a freak accident, like he obviously didn't didn't mean to do it. He was in so much.
Speaker 2: Joy he loved the blow drop side.
Speaker 3: He didn't realize and it was just the weird angle of the elbow connected as I was coming up, and then it was actually very painful. So I started crying. So I just curled up and started crying because there was something about giving someone pleasure or whatever and then being hit in the face.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, that I was something about.
Speaker 3: There was something about it that just like I really upset me. And then I was crying, and it was just the shock of it as well, and then he didn't know what to do. And then I was horrified that he then told his mother story later that night. I don't know why you would tell your mother that story, but he did.
Speaker 2: So you were together, and he sat down with his mom in front of you and me.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't in front of me. I just found that out later. Wow. I kind of sent him home after that.
Speaker 2: After giving him a blow him being stacked in the fain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it was obviously an accident, but I was just upset and I started crying. And I didn't mean to start crying, Like I know it was an accident, but I was just crying, like like, what's.
Speaker 2: The point of telling the mother?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I was not when I was invited to family Christmas, I was not going to go because.
Speaker 1: Of that reason, because she knew that she knew about that had given the son a blowjob.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think it was though, because like maybe he didn't know if his reaction was the right reaction, Like.
Speaker 2: Maybe he didn't come in the right way.
Speaker 1: Yea. And so you were obviously upset. So then he was like, Mum, what do I do here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think he initially laughed writing oh there was this line because he didn't realize but it was so it was just a straight sharp elbow connect right to my eye. So I was like it was painful.
Speaker 2: Like not okay, yeah, sexual experience, yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't tell us a little bit about who you were before you are the.
Speaker 2: Rebel, changing completely changing the subject.
Speaker 1: Just for you, Laura, I want to know a little bit about your childhood, where you grew up and what was.
Speaker 2: School like for you.
Speaker 3: Well, I actually loved school, but I grew up in Sydney's like Western suburbs. I went to school Castle Hill Primary School with now one of the richest men in Australia was in my class. There was Scott Farqua who he was one of the founders of at lassin isn't he shrekyone law fark? Why no, no no? And he was the kid that him and I I was very good at maths as a child and he was obviously a genius as well. And then we would always compete in maths and I think in year six I think he got he got first or second in the great I got third, and then I was like I knew that kid was gonna do it was great, and then he did anyway, So I went to Castle Hill Primary School and there was something in the water, like so many talented kids and stuff have come out of that. It was just like a regular public school. And then then I went to an all girls Christian high school called Tara, which people might know in Paramatta. And then my high school, I was like the dorkiest girl at the start. I was in the cool group for like two weeks, then get kicked out because I didn't I refuse to smoke behind the gym. I was like, no, I'm not a smoke I'm not doing it. And then I get kicked out of the cool group. And then I was like a Nigel for like almost two years after that because all the other groups had formed in high school, so I didn't have a group. So I would just sit in the library by myself and stuff. Oh no friends, yeah, I know, just because I didn't fall for the peer pressure, and then I lost out looking out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But so then I was like, oh, screw this, I'm gonna become popular, and then did and like atally it became popular, and then I loved school. So much that I ended up being a border at school because I was just really into everything at the school, and we did plays and musicals and we did lots of sports and everything, and I was just so into it. So of my friends bought it as well, and so boarding school can be crap for some people, but I actually really loved it.
Speaker 2: So you would describe yourself as a nerd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nerd in that I was very academic and you know, smart and yeah and weirdly like good at maths and stuff, which a lot of the other kids hated, like, yeah, you just get one hundred percent. I'm like, oh, it's easy, like it was now you want to be my friend? Yeah, but no. But like all my friends at Tara were very the same, like smart but good girls, very ambitious, Like one of my besties is now a lawyer in Manhattan. The other one lived in Paris for many years, like crushing and in business and got an MBA. And we all was just ambitious young ladies who got taught that we could do anything with our lives and like went out there. So it was kind of cool to be like that by the end of high school. Not certainly not in the beginning but it became cool to be like the smart, successful girls. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And were you always into drama and arts at school or did that come later?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I never did it as a subject. But with the Kings boys next door, we did plays and musicals, and that to me was like probably like the highlight. And I never thought I would be a professional actor or anything, but I loved it, Like I loved what we did at the school, and they were kind of we had There was a multimillion dollar theater at that boys' school, and we just had an awesome time putting on their productions. And that's why I didn't finish at night like until like eleven pm to after the show or whatever. So that's why I lived at the school eventually, because I was just doing so much there.
Speaker 1: But also, I mean, everyone knows you for acting, and when you say you're ambitious and so academic at school, yeah, Well a lot of people probably don't know is that you also went on to study You did a law degree, Like there's so many more facets to your life before you actually got into being a full time actor as your career.
Speaker 3: Well, I never thought I always thought I would go into law and politics. Great just so you know, telling all my embarrassing story, bring that up if I ever run, Yeah, my story.
Speaker 1: People talking about you come into local politics and they're like.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, Rebel Wilson did shit in someone's yard.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'll come up. But don't worry, guys. You can't blackmail me with it because I've been very open about it and explained the whole situation. So I always thought I would go into Laura politics. I got into like the best law school after I got my hsc results and was like yep, and then I was selected. I was a youth Ambassador for Australia, which was a program that Rodari was running at the time, and they sent one boy and one girl to different countries and I got sent to South Africa and had like a life changing experience going to Southern Africa for a year and not knowing anybody, and it was crazy. Then I got the malaria there, which was really bad.
Speaker 2: You got malaria.
Speaker 3: Had a vision that I was an actress.
Speaker 2: Hang on, you were speeding through this story. I know, well, there's home. So you're in Africa. Yeah for a year, Yes, you get malaria.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was terrible. I got a really bad strain, so I was hospitalized. I caught it in Reural, Mozambique, but it takes about two weeks to develop in your system. And then I was very, very sick, got hospitalized with another girl that was on the trip as well, and then it was bad. It was like this, it's hard to describe it. It's not like a cold or flu. It's like you out of your body kind of thing and you're like hallucinating and everything. And then I was like, I had this vision that I won an Academy award, that I was an actress. And then I was really good and I came out of hospital saying, guys, I'm gonna I think I've got to leave Africa, like immediately go back to Australia. I got an audition for the Drama School. I'm gonna be like the next Dame Judy Dench or something. So you're like rebeling, No, like you're not an actress likeause.
Speaker 2: I definitely didn't.
Speaker 3: I wasn't glamorous like I was, you know, an academic girl like I wasn't glamois. I didn't look like Nicole Kidman or Kate Blanchette or something.
Speaker 1: So your catalyst for getting into acting. Your catalyst, that was the driving force for you to go cool, I'm going to take this and pivot my career seriously.
Speaker 2: Was malaria?
Speaker 3: Yeah wow, because sometimes they say if you get really sick, if you have a life changing event like that, it can really change the course of your life. And I used to love Oprah Well, I mean, obviously I still love Opra. I shouldn't s I used to all the time. And I used to watch her every day in Africa because it was really hard. There was a lot going on in South Africa at the time and post apartheid and a lot of violence and everything, and there's a lot going on. And so I would watch Oprah every day, love it. And she'd say, oh, the universe like sometimes it gives you a whisper, and sometimes it's like a full blown rick wall falling on you with the message. And I was like, this is a message, like this is like this is what I should do with my life. So even though I was still in law school, I went back and I auditioned for drama, Like, no one would take me at the drama schools.
Speaker 2: Who'd you audition for nighter?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Maybe that firsty only just night, because I thought, well, at the chart, but yeah, just go to the best one. And because my law school was across the road, I thought, oh, maybe I'll do both. I am such an overachiever. Then yeah, they didn't accept me, so I just did. I did law and arts. So I did dinner and film subjects at my university at UNSW.
Speaker 1: And so did you give up trying to get into an acting school?
Speaker 2: Because not? It rejected no.
Speaker 3: Audition like four times, four years in or like a row.
Speaker 2: Can you own the audition once a year?
Speaker 3: Yes, there's only for the big drama schools.
Speaker 2: Once in audition and it was no for four years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And I remember circling back to eating whole pizzas why. I have vivid memories each time after being rejected and told no, I went to the Pizza Hut or you can eat in the city and Short Street just smash the all you can eat buffet, And I remember vividly why I did that four years in a row. That was my go to And I guess because I lived out West I was like, well, if I'm in the city anyway, I'm going to go to the pizza hut you can eat and treat myself Eat my sorrows. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's so interesting though, because like for so many people when you did write Mates, that was like, I mean know, you say, you weren't a household name and maybe not that easily recognizable, but I think you were. You were.
Speaker 2: I think you really were, And that was.
Speaker 1: The movie that kind of put you on the map for a lot of people in the outset. Even for me, I would have thought that there was like a real overnight success in you becoming this well known actor. But it wasn't an overnight success. There's so many years that go into this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think what a lot of people don't realize is the perception is sometimes that it's some overnight success, but the reality is, like every day of my adult life, I've worked hard to achieve this goal and like sacrificed a lot, which I think a lot of people don't realize. And I guess I started whilst I was also going to university, going to the Austraith theater for young people, and so I started in theater realized quite quickly like I wasn't the mold of successful actresses and I had to kind of create my own and so the way I did that was by writing my own plays and then putting them on and also casting myself obviously, but using my business brain and stuff to produce them and some other really talented young people. And I put on these plays and I was lucky. Like the very first play I wrote was just called The Westy Monologues, which is basically like monologues of girls in Sydney's western suburbs and then they all kind of interconnect by the end was a huge hit and it was on at the Bondai Pavilion, then it was on at Belvoir and then at Paramatta Riverside Theater that without one year, and Channel seven invested in it and gave me like lots of money at the time, I think it was not ninety thousand dollars to put it on professionally. And it showed me, Wow, if I put my own initiative and just be myself, be my unique version of myself. And one of my characters was a bit like Tulla, my character on Fat Pizza that I became kind of known for in Australia. And yeah, one of the characters was kind of morphed into Tulla a bit, and like yeah, and so it was kind of like me taking my own initiative. But the theater days, like if anyone who does theater in Sydney knows, like you're not in it for the money, You're in it for the love and the love of performing, and you're doing the stage craft and everything. And like sometimes I was performing in Sydney theaters and some notes there was less audience in the theater than was in the cast. Wow, And that's when you cancel. Have to cancel the performance, they're the rules. If there's less audience than cast members, you cancel. And that's happened to me several times. But I look back so fondly on those days because I wasn't professional then and I was just yah building up my career and my resume. And then how I got into television was at Pizza. Director Paul Fenix saw me in the play and that i'd written and gave me a job and it was awesome. And then from that show I got a lot of improv experience and on camera experience and then I just segued into doing things. But it always led from me taking my own initiative and writing and performing. Yeah, so I did all the hard yards like my first TV job was SBS, and like working my way up to more commercial television, and then eventually I knew, oh, I want to go to Hollywood. If I can make it in one Hollywood movie, that'd be pretty sweet. And then it all went from there.
Speaker 2: So you really had to create a space for yourself. That's what you had to do.
Speaker 3: Because I wasn't in any mold. I was like, you know, I was kind of feral looking. I think I had a snaggletude, like no joke been shaved down now, but yeah, it's real feral. I would have loved to have been famous at like twenty one, Like I would have loved that and to be recognized, but I just wasn't. It just took a long time, and it wasn't until I was about thirty two that I became like an international, internationally known actress pretty much, which is a bit late, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just hope it's not too late for me.
Speaker 3: How It's never too late, because I feel like if I never had that malaria induced hallucination, I probably would have been a lawyer and been great at it, and then maybe at about forty would have had some kind of midlife crisis and said I'm going to go into stand up comedy like a Rosean Bar or something like that would have been my route. I think I still would have probably found my way into it. I just yeah, the hallucination sped it up for me. I think.
Speaker 1: So you're already acting in Australia and you are forging forging career.
Speaker 2: Here and creating your own roles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would cast me Laura. Like I went into the agency and I was like, oh, you don't want to get an agent because all my friends did at the time. And they're like, well, we could never see you on Home and Away and I'm like, well, because they're the only roles I didn't want to be on Home and Away, Like yeah, I mean I love Home and Away. Like god, amazing people have come out of that show. But like, that wasn't me. I wasn't a beach babe, Like I just wasn't that.
Speaker 2: You didn't want to go do your bay Watch?
Speaker 3: Then no, I didn't because that would have been no one would have wanted to watch that.
Speaker 1: But also, yeah, with hitting these roadblocks in Australia, you're coming up to knows all the time, what then makes you go all right, Well, fuck this small pond, I'm going to go to Hollywood. Like what gives you the confidence to say I'm going to go and try.
Speaker 2: It over there, which is a hell of a lot more competitive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I had done thirteen TV shows in Australia by that point, and I'd gotten a big contract on Channel seven for like a three year job, a great show. And I was like, is this going to be my life? Or am I gonna at all? Wanted to be in Hollywood movies? And I was like, or is now my chance? And so I rejected the big time Channel seven contract and left and sold every single thing I had, my apartment in Melbourne, my car, my computer, Like I had to sell everything because you need a lot of money to go over and you know you're not going to be able to work much and you don't earn much when you're first in Hollywood. So I like sold every single thing I had, even my toast, like I autographed it or something. Got twenty bucks. Everything went everything whent my mom came to help me. We sold everything on eBay and in one weekend everybody just came to my apartment and because I was kind of a bit known, from Australian TV show, So I guess my stuff was worth something. And then I sold every single thing. I was like, yeah, I'm not coming back.
Speaker 1: Well known enough, but not well known enough or not big enough here to obviously have an excessive amount of cash, beer cash to go to Hollywood.
Speaker 3: No, no, you need you. It's like you're a sieve. What's that thing A see where you deceive money? You know that thing that you put flower in your Yeah, okay, yeah, you like that. It just needs money. It just falls through because you just need money for everything and you can't. You're not really earning money, so the money just like drains from your account.
Speaker 1: And you don't know when you're going to get your first role over there as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was very lucky.
Speaker 1: Bridesmaids came like three months when you took on Bridesmaids, did you know at the time how hugely successful it was going to be?
Speaker 3: I hope. The problem is the cast was so so amazing, and I had four scenes in the movie, and I was like, is four scenes enough? And I remember Jonah Hill had one scene I believe in forty year Old Virgin and like and then skyrocketed from that and I was like, I knew, I had a feeling I was gonna make a little splash, but like I was like, is it enough, because it's I wasn't. I auditioned for the Melissa McCarthy roll and didn't get that was second place in that so they added me into the film. But I didn't really have a big role because it just added in, and so I was like, is that enough? But I thought, yes, it will be. And then I had to wait essentially a year until that movie came out long ast year. It takes about a year from when you film it to come out. And I had no money. I was living on sixty dollars a week for my just for my food and entertainment, which I'd see one movie a week at the cinemas and then I would use the rest on food because that's all I had budgeted for because it was a pretty Yeah, I earned thirty five hundred dollars on Bridesmaids, and that was what I had to pay to the Union so to join the Union in America, So I earned nothing.
Speaker 2: That's what it made from that movie. I think there'll be so many people that shook to the core to.
Speaker 1: Hear three thousand, five hundred dollars for that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I am shocked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy, isn't it. But that was the platform, that was the that was the kickstart. And then next up was Pitch Perfect, and well, Pitch Pervy.
Speaker 3: Was one of the movies I booked off the back of Bride's and I booked six movies off the back.
Speaker 2: Of that, Off that one too, of those little scenes two weeks and then your iconic role is fat Amy. Yeah, do you know? I bought it on DVD.
Speaker 1: It was like my favorite movie and I used to watch.
Speaker 2: It on DVD at home all the time.
Speaker 3: Taste, I do have critics. I mean, they're the most successful musical comedy films of all time. They beat School of Rock, and I forget what the other reigning champion was before we came along.
Speaker 2: Who cares because they're not up there anymore. Pitch Perfect, Get off? But what was it like?
Speaker 1: What was that process like filming Pitch Perfect? What was it like being in such a huge film where not only was it so hugely watched, but like your you were well and truly recognized by that point in time.
Speaker 3: It was awesome. It was I think I was telling you Britt this yesterday when we're playing tennis. But I had auditioned as an American for Pitch Perfect, and then I was really tired in dance rehearsals for me. We practiced the routines and then the director had heard me talking with my real Australian accent, and then he's like, you have to do that in the movie, and I'm like, no, no, no, I'm an actress. I have prepared this American character called fat Amy, and I'd already sung, recorded all my vocals in American accent and everything. And he's like, no, I have a feeling like you're gonna be Australian in it, and I go no, because I just I don't know. I just wanted to be an actress and play someone a bit different to who I was. And then he's like, nah, you're gonna be more distinctive, and he was totally right, and then I kind of really stood out fat Amy was only the seventh or eighth biggest character in the script, and then she kind of, you know, I kind of embellished the role quite a bit and then got more screen time. It wouldn't have.
Speaker 1: Been the same if fat Amy was American. I don't feel like as a viewer it would have had the same effect. And I think what you just said and the director said, you wouldn't have stood out as much because especially at that time, Australians weren't really allowed to acting with their native.
Speaker 3: I was right on the cusp of well, they call it now the Game of Thrones effect, where American audiences are much more used to hearing foreign accents, but that certainly wasn't the case when I moved over there. And yeah, in Bridesmaids, I've done it like a British accent to fit in with my buddy Matt Lucas. But like, yeah, it was kind of very fortuitous because getting to kind of almost be myself about a like it's obviously a character, but you know, and you push things for comic effect. But it was like it was just the best fun. And those girls, like we have a group text that we almost on a daily basis. There's things going on in the group text about how much we love each other. The Bellas how much? Yeah, how much I can show you. I can show you some of it. Let me get it out. Yeah, it's called Bella's Oh my. This is from yesterday because Brittany was sending like out little cute videos of us. We send like each other little videos of our sunset and stuff.
Speaker 2: That's so that's years down the track.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is just yesterday. We're talking about we're going to do something for Gallon Time's Day next year. We're already organizing just spread love to each other. We all like it's such good friends. And we're so different, like the Ten of Us girls and the Bellas are so different, but there's something about when we come together and we just have the best time and we do group Rinians all the time, like you know, we're so busy, but your go all times of yeah, friendship goals, yeah yeah, and we hit up the tech like almost every day. There's some there's some Bella's text about something.
Speaker 1: Isn't it pretty amazing though that Like I think that authenticity is what shows on screen as well, like as much as obviously like everyone can play them.
Speaker 3: Having fun on an offset like I mean pitchev One. I mean I was the more studious because I remember I was writing a pilot at the same time, which then became my show on American TV called Super Fun Night. So I was the more studious one, and then Esther Dean, who's the African American Bella. She is a huge songwriter so has written massive hits for Nicki Minaj Rihana Beyoncet, like she's just Katie, but she wrote Katy Perry fireworks. Half of the songs. We sing him hitch perfect to her songs. So we were the more studious ones. But God, the other ones partied so hard.
Speaker 2: Are they gonna hate that you're out in there this podcast?
Speaker 3: No, because they just like to have a good time and whatever. And we were all quite young then. I mean by the third one, I wasn't. I definitely wasn't going out that many nights. We were working hard, but like God, when we were young, and then I remember Adam Devine who plays a bumper, Like God, he'd get into it every night. I was like, guys like that. We definitely just had so much fun, whether it was weird went tailgating with the football or something, or going to dance clubs and just dancing it up, and we just had a ball. Like on those movies.
Speaker 1: Do you have a moment when you're doing a film like this where you're like, holy shit, I've made it, Like this is I have fucking made it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was I didn't know Pitch Peviect was going to be like a as big as it ended up being. But I just knew this is the type of movie I want to watch, So I knew that for sure, and so I knew, like i'd hoped it would be good, but you never know if it's gonna be gonna be like that massive. But I'm so glad it was like, they're they're the best movie, and obviously we want to make more, but that's that decision is not in our hands unfortunately.
Speaker 1: So was there an actual moment in your career where you realized was that what you were being followed by paparazzi were people recognized?
Speaker 3: So it was a day Pitch Perfect one came out and I was living with Matt Lucas in la and at his awesome house.
Speaker 2: He just gave you a place to stay.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, we played roommates in Bridesmaids and then we became roommates in real life. Like it was really funny. It would freak people out who'd seen the movie and they're like, oh my god, you guys are actually roommates, and we're like yeah, yeah. Yeah. So basically I went from being able to go to the shops and stuff being pretty much unrecognizable, like being able to shit in people's front lawns and get away with it, to then Pitch Perfect comes out instant like paparazzi out the front of the house, Like couldn't go anywhere, could no longer like go in your sweats to the supermarket, or couldn't really go to shopping malls. At that point, it was crazy. And then I just when in the bathtob and I was like, my life has changed forever now goose Because I never I didn't want to be famous, like I wanted to be recognized, I guess, but I didn't really that was never the goal to become famous. I guess. You just wanted to be respected and like recognized and stuff for what you do. And then when it happens, you're almost like, oh, can I take it back, like or could I go back to how life was before? Because it's full on when it does happen to you. And that's why I feel for any of the younger kids who have it happened to them when they're like sixteen seventeen, like the young pop stars or the young actors. I just it's very because I was like thirty one, thirty two and it was full on and I was in the bathtub kind of crying, but only for about thirty minutes because I was like, my life has changed now and I can't I can't go places and certain things. But it was also, I mean, it was awesome to be in such a huge hit as well. So the positive is far outweigh the negatives, I think. But that was you literally feel it, you sense it that, you go, oh my god, my life is not and.
Speaker 1: You can't really take it back. Like once, once you're out there in your name and your recognite, well, you can't rewind that.
Speaker 2: Even that you see in Hollywood through people.
Speaker 1: That haven't filmed or made anything for years and they're still always followed, They're still gonna be papped, they're still in there.
Speaker 3: Like Alicia Silverstone, who I just worked with on senior year, who's just the most gorgeous girl. And I remember her from Clueless obviously so iconic, so recognizable, and yeah, and she hasn't actually worked, but god, in the moment you see her, you're like, oh my god, Alicia, like hi, Like she must get it and people quoting the movie to her and stuff. She must get that every day for the rest of our life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's when you're part of these movies that are so they're so like generational, you know, pitch Perfect or something that of that generation who's watched it.
Speaker 2: It's so formative to that.
Speaker 3: Like for us fans, like we love her fan so much.
Speaker 1: Playing the role fat Amy and like having like a very like I don't know how you describe it, not stereotyped role, but you played Fat Amy like it was very much like that is your that is a role on the show. What is it like being given that title but also having such a well known character then being able to break out of that character to play different roles in other movies?
Speaker 2: Is that challenging?
Speaker 3: I had, weirdly had a character on Australian TV called Fat Mandy when I did a skept show called The Wedge. So it wasn't actually it wasn't like. I remember when Kay Kennon reached out to me about the film, she's the writer of the films, and she was like, Oh, I don't mean to offend you, but there's this character. First of all, it wasn't even offensive at all, because when I did look at the script, even though fat Amy wasn't the biggest character, to me, she was the funniest, and I was like, oh, yeah, you know, that's like awesome to have on paper what I thought was the funniest role. So being bigger, I was kind of a normal size, maybe a bit on the athletic side when I was a teenager, and then I had something called PCOS and I gained One of the symptoms of that is you can gain weight quite rapidly when you're about twenty and twenty one. So like, obviously I knew I was a bigger girl, and I was like, you just got to embrace it. You got to in comedy. And that's why I went more into comedy acting because I knew logically and also like i'd done this subject and a university called Comedy and Power, and it was really interesting about how much power comedians can have and that people often like to laugh at people that they don't want to have sex with. So normally you'll find a lot of comedians like this is like some psychological thing is some comedians often have something that's physical about them that's abnormal a bit whether they're super tall, or they've got a giant nose, or they're bigger ladies. Those people tend to go better in comedy. So I turned what was seen by a lot of agents and people in the business at the time of being a bigger girl as a disadvantage into my advantage. And I was like, yep, okay, I'm going to go specialize in comedy in Nicole Kim and gave me a scholarship. I went to New York to study comedy school. I was like, I'm gonna even though I did want to become the next Dame Judi Dench, I was like, but I'm a bigger girl, I'll go into comedy very serious, yeahrama, yeah, yeah. I didn't think I was funny at all. I like, I did not, which is funny, Like I did not think that. And then but I knew I was smart and a lot of behind a lot of comedians is you know, a really good brain. And so I was like, okay, well, I feel like I can do it. But it was purely because of my size. I go I got a much better chance being in comedy and making fun of myself or you know, laughing at myself and making others laugh, and so being fat Amy, I don't know, it was such a privilege because I never saw it as a negative. I was like the confident chick. Was it hard sometimes, like some of my co stars in Pitch, like Anna and Brittany, like they're so tiny and like I literally I feel like I weighed three times more than them. And at times sometimes you'd be like whatever, everyone's just born differently in different bodies, and that was my body and that's their, and we just celebrate all of each other. And Bella's means like beautiful and Italian. We're all beautiful and whatever. And I just loved being fat Amy. I love like that was me and that so I just I don't know, I love playing that character and the whole comedy thing. I think it is interesting psychologically about how people go into get into comedy and stuff, and you often use, yeah, something that people can see as a physical disadvantage to your advantage.
Speaker 1: I think it's just a really important message just to not brush over it. But what you just said for everyone listening is that there is so much power in just accepting and celebrating who you are. Because if you tried to go to Hollywood, and be something you're not. If you tried to go and say everyone else is doing and looking like this, you wouldn't have made it. Nothing would have happened for you because you you.
Speaker 3: Would chose to imagine if I tried to somehow look like Kate Blanchard on a cockit, I know, I'm just using it because there's such you know, big names, well, I wouldn't have succeeded. I had to be my like, I had to be me. And one of the things that I had going for me at acting school back in the day is that I wasn't the most talented, Like I really wasn't. At the Australian Theater for young people, there were so many more people that were way more gifted than me. But I was unique and I was an individual and I luckily had that fostered at ATAP and if I hadn't ha done that, like because therefore when I rocked up in America, I get signed like my second day in America because I was different and I was myself and I was like very true to myself, and there really wasn't big actresses like at that time, there was like Melissa McCarthy, and I don't even know if there was anybody else at that point.
Speaker 2: Not really, there really wasn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I rode what other people thought as a disadvantage into my total advantage and made millions millions of dollars doing it, and also had an amazing time and loved being I love I was so body confident and body positive at being a size sixteen to eighteen, which I have been for most of my life, and then so now I'm what like an eight or ten or something in American sizes. It was awesome.
Speaker 1: So was there was there a time in Hollywood? Obviously that was what you became famous for. You were accepted for who you were. Was there ever a time that people in power, people in the industry fat shamed you even though this is what you were there? You know, you were who you were, you were getting these amazing roles, You're an amazing actress. Did you ever feel like you're being stereotyped or.
Speaker 3: It's so weird because a lot of actresses have some kind of fat shaming story, particularly around photo shoots. I only had one story where like I rocked up. This was before I have my world's most amazing styl as Elizabeth Stewart who does do Cate Blanchett and Julia Roberts and Yola Davis and all these amazing Sandra Bullock everyone. Before I'd met her, I didn't really have a stylist, and I remember rocking up to a photo shoot and they didn't have any clothes to fit me, and so they literally put this scarf around you. You're like, and you can still, yeah, you can find yeah, yeah, Well it was just me with the scarff, like your silk kind of scarf draped around me, and I'm like, ah, but weirdly, I don't know where the people just didn't mess with me because they knew I was very secure in myself. It's the ones that are not so secure that can get really messed up by things in particular like photoshoots. But then I teamed up with my amazing stylus and I was the only plus sized girl that she had on her books. But I never had that situation. She never didn't have clothes that wouldn't fit me like. She'd always have options and gorgeous, glamorous options with from great designers. So she hooked me up with Javonci, for example, and they made me custom dresses and things like so it was really I don't know, it was never really an issue, but I know a lot of women have struggled. I only really had that one experience, which is rare because a lot of girls who have normal size, like a normal size, get told there they're fad or whatever, yeah, and shamed.
Speaker 2: I'm going to look for the scar photo after this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I guess like the antithesis of that, when you decided you've made it, you know you've got your place in Hollywood, and you're like, Okay, I'm going to go for my year of health.
Speaker 2: I'm going to change everything.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get healthy and happy and all the rest of it? Was that hard for you in terms of people saying, well, you know, that's not your role in Hollywood. We don't really want you to change because this is.
Speaker 3: Who you are. I definitely had people not being supportive of that life change when I told announced it's going to be my year of health. I guess because like being bigger, I didn't have any serious disease or whatever. I was getting checked for diabetes and things like that, but I didn't have anything. But I knew secretly, like my emotional eating was unhealthy and.
Speaker 2: All you can eat pizza buffet.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I knew, like that is not rebel like a healthy way to be dealing with with emotions, whether they're happy or sad emotions or stress work emotions. Like I knew deep down, I can't keep doing that, Like I can't. I've got to have a healthier option for my life. But it was hard because I'm traveling all around the world, having this amazing life, making like a ton of money and having a great career, like I'm so proud of everything that I've achieved, and you know, just wanting to be in one Hollywood movie. Now I think I've done like twenty and as like now now it's awesome. But then I just knew, okay, no, I'm turning forty. I know that I can be healthier. Even though I loved myself being bigger and it never stopped me from doing anything really And then I was like, Okay, I'm gonna make the big change and lose excess weight that my body doesn't need to be carrying around. And yeah, it was I had quite a lot of yeah pushback from that because people are like, but why why would you want to change, Like You're awesome how you are, and I was like, yeah, I know that, but I also know I'm engaging in some things that aren't healthy and I've got to, you know, work on that.
Speaker 1: When you say you received pushback, who specifically was that from. Was it from like your audience, your fans, was it from the people who represent you, people who are casting you.
Speaker 3: It was people that represented me who are amazing at what they do, like really amazing, but they weren't living my life. But also from some people on social media would be like, well, are you gonna be funny now? And I'm like, well, I think if physicality is one tool in your toolkit as a comedian, you can use, but there's many many other tools that I that I have and that you guys will see in upcoming movies, and so it's just about diversifying that. But it was, yeah, it's interesting. But then on the whole, pretty much everyone's been so supportive. And then I made my journey very public to make it accountable. But everyone's been so nice about it, and everyone gives you so many compliments and whatever. They're like, everyone's like, wow, you look great, And then I was like, oh, did I not look so gape before the guys.
Speaker 1: How has this year of health changed the roles that you're now getting or changed you not just physically in how you feel it everything else, but changed your ability in your work? Like, how has that changed?
Speaker 3: Weirly, it's now opened up dramatic roles which I wasn't really getting considered for before, which is awesome because now I can use that acting muscle that I haven't used as much of. And so I filmed this movie called The arm And and the Seahorse. Obviousitly this amazing French actor Charlotte Gainsburg, and that's really cool to now be seen in that light. But people in Hollywood they kind of have to see it first and then they change their minds. You can't convince people otherwise. They almost got to see or change first and then they go, oh, yes, okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like that's going to be huge for the audience because I'm just trying to think.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I know you have done things in the past, but everything that I can think of of you is comedy. I don't want to make you fel uncomfortable, but I was supposed to come to that premiere with you, so I haven't seen the movie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Supposed to kind of sell your drama film, but I can't wait to see it because I can't wait to see And now that I know you personally, obviously, I know you have that side to you, but you I'm just quite.
Speaker 3: Serious in real life. Though.
Speaker 1: Everyone asks me what's Rebel really like, and I'm like, actually, nothing like who you represent on.
Speaker 3: Film, which I take as a compliment to my acting that they think I am exactly like fat Amy or exactly like they do think that, And then I go, well, that's just a compliment that I've made myself seem very believable, because I think I am much more serious and responsible in real life than on screen.
Speaker 1: But I think it's so interesting as well that like maybe in order, and I don't want to say that it had to be the way, but like breaking that stereotype, breaking that mold of being like, you know, the person who always is going to be the funny person in the comedy skit. To be able to now have these dramatic roles and to be able to shift and kind of retransform yourself in your career, it all came down to this year of health or that's played a huge part in it and in people's perceptions. I think that there is still in Hollywood or in acting that there is still like very much a type or a cast at how they go, Okay, well if you are the biggest sized girl.
Speaker 2: You're going to be in comedy.
Speaker 1: You're not going to be in a drama, or you're not going to be in seat of something that's a more serious role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there definitely was when I came to Hollywood. But I think the good thing about diversity and inclusion is that not only with ethnicities is it changing. Like I mean, it's amazing if you're out there and you're like a diverse actor, like not Caucasian, it's an amazing time for you right now, Like there's so many roles going and that was not the case, Like it just wasn't the case ten years ago. But I also think in the inclusion with it, whether it be like on the sexuality spectrum or with body types, it's becoming part of being inclusive and stuff. So it definitely wasn't. It really wasn't. When I first came to Hollywood, there was hardly any plus size actresses. And I still think there was some statistic. This is like a few years ago, but it was something like leading Ladies, it's less than one percent or something of plus size actresses. When you look at all Hollywood films, there is some movement in including different body types in the inclusivity movement.
Speaker 1: Well, I think as well as why there's so much there's so much media attention when somebody We've seen it with Adele, we saw it with you. When somebody who is plus size has a dramatic weight loss and the metea is so like, tell me everything, how did you do it? And I think it's because there is this underrepresentation. So like when one person steps out of that role, they're like, whoa, well, what are you doing that? You're not supposed to be doing that. You're not supposed to be that person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because they see you as one way and they like you as one way, and they want you to be that.
Speaker 2: People don't like change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think in your family, say, you know, say there's two sisters and they're both overweight, and one loses weight and the other one doesn't, and there could be some resentment from the other sister going well, why did you change? And that makes them not feel good about themselves whatever reason, and it's so relatable. I think that, yeah, there's some people out there that don't like the change, but I'm kind of like, just did it for myself and knew I could be a healthier version of myself and that was my only goal. Then I was so proud of myself that I could actually do it.
Speaker 2: Well, you're look incredible, You've done an amazing job. So well done.
Speaker 1: I think a big thing is the small changes you can make, because I know other people probably ask you, they're write you this, like how did you do it? Though?
Speaker 2: What did you do?
Speaker 1: And I just think of even the times that we catch up.
Speaker 2: You catch up for a.
Speaker 1: Walk or catch up to tennis, or you don't have to be going to a drink. We don't have to be going to and you can eat buffet, Like, there are so many different ways you can catch up with people and incorporate these things into your life without actually feeling like I've got to pull myself.
Speaker 2: Out about it at five am to go and slog it out the gym.
Speaker 3: You don't actually have to. Like walking is like one of the best things, just getting out there and going for a walk, which pretty much most people can do, and it just like is it's the best thing. I went to the Fancy Is Health retreat in Europe to learn that just walking, just walking for an hour day is really good. You don't really need to slog it out. I mean I did slog it out to lose weight more quickly, but like, yeah, you don't actually have to do that, and that's not part of my regular routine now.
Speaker 1: So moving back to Australian Territory, we did mention before you do do a lot of charity work, and you have done a lot of working in Africa, but you did just come back to Australia and drop very very large amount of money.
Speaker 2: You just donated one million.
Speaker 3: Dollars to the Australian.
Speaker 2: Theater for Young People, which is where you train.
Speaker 3: I know, because they were so supportive of me as a young actor. And anyone who's like through the pandemic knows like live theater and you know, theater. The industry has suffered greatly and it's such a shame because it's like for me, it's like the best. I love seeing shows and musicals, it's one of my favorite things to do. And the Austraian theater for young people had a space that the government allocated them down at the Wharf in Sydney, but they didn't have the money to build the new theater and all the fit out, and so I was like, well, okay, I'll donate because I just feel very strong in giving back and I was given a lot from them, and so I was like, okay, I'm going to give back.
Speaker 2: You gave back tennis the way.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. But even the scholarship that Nicole Kimmen had given me through ato IP, like, I repaid that as soon as I could, as soon as it was only at the time it was only twelve thousand dollars, but that was a lot of money at the time, and I repaid that as well because I was like, I just believe in in doing that. And then it gives this awesome new theater a home for like thousands of kids are going to perform there and get their start there, and that makes me feel like really really good. And then the first show that's going to open the theater in February is called The deb and it's a musical that I've been producing with a very talented team and it's about a debutante ball in a small country town. It'll be the first production in the new Rebel Theater down at the wharf.
Speaker 2: When does it come out?
Speaker 3: Oh, it might start previewing mid February, but late February.
Speaker 2: Well, go, I say it.
Speaker 1: Do you know you just spoke about kids and you're talking about the theater. But something else that you've done, because you're such an overachiever, is that you have published a book called Bella the Brave And.
Speaker 2: I can see it.
Speaker 3: Can you tell us a little bit about my mantalga?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's right there, like next to the awards, next to the trophies. But why Bella the Brave? What was the initiative behind it? Why did you want to write a book that was for young girls?
Speaker 3: I think I literally am a late bloomer in a lot of things, and so I sometimes wish I'd had certain messages earlier. And the first book about Bella the Brave is about overcoming shyness, which was my first kind of battle in life, and I'm glad I did overcome it and started to express my personality to people, because I wasn't naturally like that as a child, and so I think just with bell I thought well, in my movies, I'm getting across a lot of girl power messages and things about loving yourself and some really nice messages in my films, but they're more for older teens and above, And so I thought, oh, for the younger kids, like, it could be really cool to do these picture books and have these awesome, nice positive messages in and to tell little stories. Bella's a kind of nod to It was about perfect, yeah, because I was like, I didn't want to call a rebel like brain lead character.
Speaker 2: Like I write my own movies, I put myself in. I write my own books, but.
Speaker 3: It's obviously me the character Bella, but I didn't want to call her my own name.
Speaker 1: You just mentioned shyness, which is like something that you've overcome. I question, and this is from producer Keisha. She threw this one in and I think it's a great one. What is something about yourself now that you dislike? A characteristic that you're like.
Speaker 2: You know what, if I could work on one thing, this would be the thing.
Speaker 3: I'm so independent, Like, I'm so so independent that I think with relationships it's hard to be one. It's hard. That's the one that I'm like, why am I like so abnormal in that area or whatever, and that I'm trying to see if I can get past that because I'm just so I'm so used to being single and like being by myself that like, I get used to that and I've maybe got certain ways that I should VERA.
Speaker 1: Was like, do you think that I'll ever just like actually like having someone in my space?
Speaker 2: Like maybe one day or potentially not.
Speaker 1: There's plenty of people who are in healthy relationships who actually hate living with their partner totally.
Speaker 3: People have separate bedrooms horribly and like, and I just I just don't know whether maybe I haven't met the right person yet or I'm just like, I don't know, you.
Speaker 2: Just need a bigger house, different levels. I don't know, because it's pretty big. I mean, that's a really nice little segue.
Speaker 1: We are, you know, we are predominantly a relationship podcast. We love to talk about love and dating and independence and breakup and.
Speaker 3: I do love dating podcasts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, maybe you should listen to one one day now.
Speaker 3: I have listened to like when I have I.
Speaker 1: Have no but let's talk about and we're not going to get into the specifics, but love and dating and breakups for you?
Speaker 2: How is that? I mean, how has that evolved for you.
Speaker 1: From being your dorky teen into dating in the public eye and everyone looking at every single thing you do and.
Speaker 2: I just want to quickly she's well, yeah, like quickly.
Speaker 1: To throw in there like your ex Jacob Rip. Sorry that that ended, but he was so hot. Well done. Yes, yeah, he's like very.
Speaker 2: I don't know if anyone wants someone to say that about the X. Oh, don't we talk about.
Speaker 3: How he's just a hearty, ease, pure physical perfection. I will attest to that in every way.
Speaker 1: But what's it like having a relationship in the public eye and having to date and having everyone's everyone's interest.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, first of all, yeah, I'm I am a late bloomer, I guess because in my twenties I never dated anybody, not anybody, which is sad in a way. But I needed to be very focused and disciplined, almost like an Olympic athlete level of focus to make it in the entertainment industry. Like it was that hard. Now I can take my foot off the gas a little bit, but it's I don't know, it's amazing, Like some things come out about people you're dating, and then some with some other people, it never comes out. It just depends. And sometimes the press or right thing you know, that are totally untrue, and sometimes they're on the money with it. So it just it's a bit we It's like an extra complication being in the public eye. I guess I've had like a guy not want to date me because he came to a movie premiere and like had a panic attack with the.
Speaker 2: Attention and not ideal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it didn't want to date me because I was in the public eye, and that was hard to deal with. And then I've had other guys who are very much liking the attention, and then it can swing the other opposite way where they like it a bit too much and you're like, oh, that's that can be a red flag as well.
Speaker 1: So, well, how do you differentiate, because I imagine this is something that anyone deals with in the public eye. How do you know that someone that it's genuine and they're not using you to leverage themselves or get publicity for themselves.
Speaker 3: That's hard. Well, I think I'm a pretty good judge of character, and I you know, and I haven't had any horror stories or anything, but not in the romantic sense. But I have had some people in Hollywood that still swindled me when and I'm such a smart, you know person, but like, I've still had a couple of like friendships. I guess where you've been swindled. Luckily, I haven't really had it in the romantic area. At the end of the day, like your job and whatever is part of you, so you want them to like it.
Speaker 1: But then I don't know, do you think you have to date somebody in the public eye that does what you do or do you have a preference. Could you just date Joe boy from down the street.
Speaker 3: Well, I've never dated like an actor because I just I don't think two actors or whatever would be good together real Hollywood relationship.
Speaker 2: Six would suggest otherwise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And I've dated from the very very wealthy to like really has no money and is in a sharehouse with two other people. I've dated the spectrum. It's quite interesting to date different people and just find out, you know, what's what's the best. But I feel like the person you're dating, they've got to be very secure in themselves. And I'm not the most famous, you know, but like I have a successful movie career and stuff. So there's sometimes you know, you get attention or things from that and the other person's got to be very secure.
Speaker 1: What's your advice for somebody now that might be going through a breakup, because I know you obviously went through a breakup with Jacob, you've been before, But what's your advice for someone We have people writing every single day that are just really struggling with moving on or accepting a life change.
Speaker 2: Advice it is. And I also I'm very, very jealous of your friendship.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know this, Laura, but Rebel is really good friends with Matthew Hussy, which is somebody that we hear at Life Uncut Love and we go.
Speaker 2: Here for a lot of advises. I need to get him on the podcast, if you can put him the word.
Speaker 3: I've had to call him a couple of times to get relationship and love advice because he's so good, Like, he's just so good. And he came to my birthday party this year on Rebel Island and he's like and of course anytime I can talk to him about stuff, I'm like, Matthew, what do you reckon about this? I'm in this situation like what should I do? He's just a legend, like and he has a podcast as well that you can learn stuff from. But the question was about breakups.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like just what's your best advice to somebody that's going through one and they just feel a bit of despair and like the world is over, they've never dated again, they can't get themselves out of bed. You know that, I am, weirdly normally the person that dumps somebody.
Speaker 3: I hate that word.
Speaker 2: You're the dumper.
Speaker 3: I'm yeah, I'm not usually the person that gets dumped.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that is? Why are you the dumpers? Because she's got she can't beat a relationships? You hate people.
Speaker 3: I would love to be dumb, Yeah, I would, because then at least it's not me having to do it. Like, I don't know, but I'm normally the one that I'm like at a certain point, you're like this is good, but I, you know, I feel like maybe this person's not the one. And then when you feel that, then maybe you have to move on. And it's awful, especially when you care about the person and respect them and you just think, but I don't think I can't see this being long term or I can't see myself getting engaged to them, so I've got to end it. And it's awful, Like it's awful, it's never good. But then also, once I have been dumped one time, there was only one time, and kind of refuse to believe it there and then I didn't give up for about two more years.
Speaker 2: And then what do you mean like you kept chasing him?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And then and wait, can we deep dive into this a little bit?
Speaker 1: How did this transpire? Like how do you persist for two years? Was he very adamant or was he giving a little actually spoken about this? And it's more like it's when you, like, in the opposite of what you just see, I think they'll come around. Yeah, when you have those feelings like but to me, you're right, So how can't I be right to you that you know that feeling of like yeah or everything to me?
Speaker 3: But so I don't know, I say, well, why am I feeling all these feelings if it's not real?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And it was. It was really hard. So okay, So basically, though, long story shut, I have empathy for people who have to dump people. And maybe you're in a relationship and now you're in the new year and you're like, I don't know about this relationship. I don't know whether it's serving me the best or I'm being the best my best self in this and I got to get out of it, you know, and you might have to dump the person or if you've been dumped and I know that feeling as well, and it's like it is very sad that you're like, oh my god. I think Hussey's advice is normally not sometimes not to take it personally. I think I did take it very personally when I was dumped when it really wasn't about me. It was about what the other person was going through. And you can take it very personally because obviously it's you being dumped, but you just sometimes it's not about you and the person's doing your favor by they're letting you know for whatever, because if that person is investing in the relationship. MATTHIASI talks about like test and invest, it'll invest and then test to see whether the other person is investing back, and if they're not, then you're like, you shouldn't be in that relationship if it's not.
Speaker 1: It's so hugely undervalued just how hard it is and how hard it can be to be the one doing the breakup, like the one. We have so much sympathy and empathy for the person who's being broken up with, like we know that they need to be held up and supported, But when you're the person who has to do.
Speaker 2: That to another human.
Speaker 3: Hard, I hate so hard because I always, you know, got a bit of people pleasing in me, and so like, you don't want to you don't want to hurt somebody.
Speaker 1: So just coming back to what you said just before in regards to like, you know, being able to relatively early, not even really early, but being able to feel out that it's not the right relationship for you. What is it that you're looking for? Like what are your deal breakers and deal makers?
Speaker 2: Because we've got a big audience here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guy, Yeah, am I be out there for me? Still technically single? So you just I don't know that connection when I don't know whether anyone's seen like Mulan Rouge the musical or and I was sitting there and they're singing about love and I'm like, oh, I want to feel that connection where artists and poets talk about that's like that, And I just don't know whether I've found that right person yet. So I don't know how to describe that. It's just that it's just that deepness in the connection.
Speaker 1: I think the biggest thing that I'm just getting from you now is you're really big on just trusting the universe and trusting you got feeling and getting on with it. And I think something that people really struggle with, and I know I did once upon a time and then I fell into this ten years of singleton where I became fiercely independent. But I think people are really worried about being on their own and they can't differentiate solitude and loneliness, and they're two very different things. Being alone doesn't necessarily mean being lonely, Yeah, because I love.
Speaker 3: Being by myself like I do. I do genuinely love having my own spaces where I get to think, I get to do my writing. But I also feel for anybody that does feel very lonely, because I also I do know that feeling and when I wasn't dating anybody for so many years and just working seven days a week, like, I know that feeling when you just come home after a day of work and you're like, oh my, like I don't have anybody to share it with, and I'm not getting smooches from anybody or whatever. Like, I know what that's like, and I know how sad and that feeling can be. And even though I'm somebody who so loves myself and is so happy and content being alone, but I also know the loneliness feeling that people can feel, and I don't know, I really empathize with them. And I guess the trick is just be the best version of yourself and go out there do activities like interact with people that you might you know, also enjoy that activity. Like I know I'm talking very generally, but like, be the best version of yourself and just create the best life and then the I think the right person will come along.
Speaker 2: Let's move into some Hollywood goss. We're going to ask you some questions, Okay, quick answers. Who's your best in Hollywood?
Speaker 3: Well, I'd say the Bellers, the girls from Pitch Perfect because we talk all the time.
Speaker 2: Who's your hall pass?
Speaker 3: Brad Pitt?
Speaker 1: Oh? Same, Yeah, it's a real staple, isn't it any age?
Speaker 3: It's just it used to be Channing Tatum, Brittany's It used to be Channing Tatum, it's now Brad Pitt why did it change? Okay, well, at the twenty twenty Oscars, Brad had just won his Oscar. I had to go backstage. I had to change into being a cat for my little bit. So I had a dressing room backstage, which is so rare, like there's only like me, James Corden, like Billie Eilish that had dressing rooms back there. And then Brad was so overwhelmed. He just won the Oscar. You know, it was awesome, but he was overwhelmed. He needed refuge. And where I was, I was like, it's like, hi, Brad, Oh yeah, I'm just getting changed into a cat. He's like, can I walk with you? And I was like, yeah, don't you have to do press or you have to go to the press room because he's holding his oscar. He's literally just come off stage. He goes yeah, but I just like to, you know, walk with you. And then he walked me to my dressing room. We go down there's very risk corridors. We're just chit chatting. Meanwhile, Timothy Charlemagne comes up and he's like, Rebel, thanks for letting me have a shower at your house. And then I was like, oh, because I remember one time I was out and he came and had a shower at my house when I wasn't there. My sister let him in and then Brad Pitt looks at me and he's like yeah, and I'm like, oh yeah, Timothy Shallo may just how showers at my house. I'm game too if you want. And then and then Brad walked me to the dressing room and then I opened and my oh my style team's in there to turn me into a cat, and they're just like, what the hell, Like we you're just with Brad Pitt just escorted you back. I'm like, yeah, he's the nicest, nicest guy. And then later we spoke at the after party and that comedian Chelsea Handler was like because Brad came up and just kind of touched me on the back, and she's like, how long have you been fucking Brad Pitt? And I'm like, A wonder that room much? Yeah, I liked it wasn't true, obviously, but he's just I don't know, I just love him. I love fantastic up I've looked at him very up close. He looks great, He's beautiful. But I love hearing that he's as nice as he is good looking. Yeah, yeah, yeah he is. He is.
Speaker 2: Who would you want to play you in a movie?
Speaker 3: Oh me, yeah, because it depends what age. Tony Kollett is one of my favorite Strain actresses.
Speaker 2: What was it like making out with Liam Hemsworth?
Speaker 3: Okay, how many retakes did you do? Uh? That was the quickest scene were shot in the movie. I think we only did three takes when I had to ferociously make out with him in a whole way. He is the nicest guy, like so nice and so I mean, obviously they're all those brothers are very genetically gifted and are amazing. But it was like the quickest scene, Like I didn't really yeah, it literally was the five minutes or something. And it was because I knew Miley and stuff at the time. You know, no, no, no, it's just acting like whatever. But it was just so easy.
Speaker 2: We just did it, like give you a high five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then job was done. It's never romantic, guys, It's never romantic when you're at.
Speaker 1: Work, Like, it's not who would be the best person you made out? We're not the best person. Who's your favorite makeout? Because I also know on the set that I went to.
Speaker 3: See you on Inland. So I did kiss Justin Hartley or just set.
Speaker 2: The best kisser?
Speaker 1: Like, who, like, out of a rank here of one to ten, would you be like the guy's a very good kisser.
Speaker 2: That one not so much. Tell me Justin was good?
Speaker 3: Oh, Justin was fantastic. That kiss has been cut out of the movie Senior Year, the Big, My big cheerleading comedy that you guys. I think you'll see it in about March on Netflix. But we we actually cut the kiss because audience memory they didn't like the kiss. They liked me with the other guy more. So He's go like, who else have I? Oh God, I've kissed more people on screen than what I have in real life. That's a weird statistic, is that?
Speaker 2: Actually?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Wow, I haven't had many, you know, that's insane debuts. I've had much more on screen. And I remember I won Best Kiss with Adam Devine from Pitch Perfect. We won the MTV Movie Award for Best Kiss, which I was like pretty pumped about, Like that was awesome.
Speaker 2: So we'll go with Adam Devine for the wind.
Speaker 3: Do you think maybe maybe that was definitely my longest kiss with him? I think on screen.
Speaker 2: And just a rappit. Who would you hope to one day work with? Who would be someone you just dream of one day filming something?
Speaker 3: That's an awesome question. Now it's about like the amazing directors that I could I don't know. I mean on the females, I like Emerald Fanelle or Chloe Shao. Who these female directors that are like coming up the ranks. Like there's even like a lot of Australian directors who are director like Handmaid's Tale, like Dana Reid or Kate Shortland who did like Widow. These are Australian ladies who are like kicking us like any of those actise but actor wise, Brad Pitt, Brad pit On, but I've already worked Like in comedy, I've worked with pretty much everybody. But in drama, yeah, Timothy Shalomy is so hot right now. He's in so many awesome things and just on fire. So I would say here, I mean, damn, Judy dench Legend. There's so many, Oh, there's so many good people. I don't know. I'm stumped. I'm stumped.
Speaker 1: It's also hard when you've also already I worked with so many of them. You're like I've already done hit List Rebel. Thank you so much for taking the time for letting us into your beautiful home, for sitting down and doing this podcast with us. We are so greatly appreciative of it.
Speaker 3: What is next for you next? So, I mean, I've got two amazing movies coming out next year, The Armonde and The Seahorse, which is my first like flurry into serious acting such a long time, And then a big cheerleading comedy on Netflix God Senior year that I'm also produced. I'm very proud of it, and you guys, like it is the cutest, funniest movie. It just brings so much joy and it's awesome and the new like a lot of new discoveries in the cast there, and they're like so cute. So I hope you guys check it out. And then I'm directing co directing a movie that I also wrote called Girl Group coming up, So we're just about to cast.
Speaker 2: For that, you know, all you spare time, yeah and that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's ten being things going on, but it's really awesome, Like there's just so many opportunities and going really good. I have to turn down a lot of jobs because I'm like so busy.
Speaker 2: Oh don't tell anyone.
Speaker 1: Else what an amazing place to be in as well, and like, congratulations on everything that you've achieved on the books, on the film.
Speaker 3: There's really been step by step and it has been such a hard journey and whatever. But yeah, to be now like god directing, it's a Hollywood studio movie. I never thought they'd trust me with that kind of responsible but.
Speaker 2: They have insanity.
Speaker 3: It's going to be awesome and the movie is very much like Pitch Perfect, which I'm very very proud of.
Speaker 1: Well, it only took us two years to get you on the podcast, but I'm glad you finally slid back into my DMS. Thank you so much Rabel for coming on the podcast. I'm sure you have some more exciting things coming up, but you can't probably talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there are a few.
Speaker 3: I'm being tight lipped about things because of my publicists will get very angry if I talk if I announce them too quickly. But and if you've got young kids like Bella the Brave, the kind of four to eight age range I think is a really good age range for that. And then also if you guys like live theater and like checking out a new Australian musical. The deb was on it. The Australian thing of young people starting in February is I mean again, it's like the cutest and just to support new Australian stuff. Really. I don't know whether you guys saw Mirror's Wedding the musical, but like, oh god, I love that and it's just so rare to see Australian stuff, new stuff being developed.
Speaker 1: I think after the incredibly hard couple of years that theater and just any sort of live performance has had because of the situation of the world, if you can get out there and support it, you absolutely should.
Speaker 2: Well you're a legend, You're an inspiration. Rebel Wilson on Life on Cut.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming or slash letting us in your house.
Speaker 3: Thanks Laura, Yeah, I know, yeah, thank you guys for coming. We share every ringing the snacks and guys, I hope twenty twenty two rocks it. I hope twenty twenty two comes through. Wait, I'm trying to think of a catchphrase. Guys, I really hope twenty twenty two comes through for you.
Speaker 1: You know that we never finish an episode without our suck and our sweet our highlight and our low light of each.
Speaker 2: And every week. And Brittany, what is yours?
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a suck. It's not a big one, but it sucked. I went for a walk a few days ago with Keisha. I was meeting her at the end of the Bond Day promenade. She messaged ahead of time she knows me well. She's like, I feel like you need a coffee. I can I get you on? And I said, girlfriend, you know it, get me a double shot and I need it ready?
Speaker 2: Stat? Did you demand it like that and I need it ready? Stat? It deliberate to me? I would have been like, thanks, brabe, that'd be the best love you. It would have been completely upset.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to be a bad aus bitch anyway, So I like, yes, would absolutely love that.
Speaker 2: Really needed his coffee.
Speaker 1: Get there and the coffee the milk and I don't know how this happens, but the milk was completely off. It was disgusting, but we'd walked too far away from the cafe to go back. How does a coffee shop in Bond diet how they are so unbusy that their milk goes off?
Speaker 2: That's a really great question. I don't know what when a miss. Shall we unpack this?
Speaker 1: I don't know what when a miss? But I thought maybe maybe I've got COVID. Maybe my taste buds are off? Could this be happening? Make keach taste it. She's like, that's absolutely rank. I just like, really put a damper on my day. We're too far away to go back, and I just I admitted defeat.
Speaker 2: I didn't have a coffee.
Speaker 1: You know that you have a really good friend when you're like, I think my coffee is off?
Speaker 2: Can you try it? Why would you try it? Also?
Speaker 1: Make sure I don't have covid? Is my coffee off? Streak out of my cup? Don't try this at home?
Speaker 2: People? And what is your sweet? Actually, I already know what your sweet is.
Speaker 1: Okay, my sweet, I'm gonna go rogue. I have a multitude of sweets. I feel like comhenda. You're supposed to narrow down to one suite, that's the whole boy, We're supposed to have one.
Speaker 2: But it's the first big episode back of the year, so you're gonna make up for the last four weeks off. But how sweet? Okay? I have three number one rebels. Episode we finally did it.
Speaker 1: It was so great to finally get her on the podcast, and it's something that you guys have requested for a long time. So I just felt really good about delivering that to the people. I also think if you manifest anything in your life, if you dream, you can achieve people.
Speaker 2: That's what this is proof.
Speaker 1: I am the Queen of manifestation. I'm big on manifestation. Okay, so that's my sweet.
Speaker 2: Number one sweet.
Speaker 1: Number two is a moving house in two weeks, but it's my sweet because it's just happened.
Speaker 2: Laura is moving too.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of reshuffling going around at Life one card, and it does mean we're finally going to have a dedicated.
Speaker 2: Room for a studio.
Speaker 1: We don't have to be on each other's beds anymore, we don't have to rearrange the house furnished. You know what it also means. It means Lola is no longer going to be sleeping in a hallway Laura.
Speaker 2: Laura is not in the hallway anymore. It's going to be just a great time to be alive.
Speaker 1: And my number three sweet is obviously I'm not gonna go into it depth, but we did the radio show, our very very first show launched and we're just beyond excited, grateful, shuffed. I just feel very very lucky to have that as my job, and just thanks to everyone for the support.
Speaker 2: So they are my three suites.
Speaker 1: And also for anybody, if you missed the radio show, you can jump on and listen to it on the podcast. We're gonna be dropping it into the podcast feed every single Saturday, Life on Cut radio show Pieri Bill, We Pretty Hockey and Laura Ben, So you can jump on have a listen to that. But obviously we'd love you to listen to it live because we would like to not rpe shit. I'm also adding a fourth sweetening. No, we're done the Pretty Hockey Show. It is today, I am releasing a fourth suite, releasing it I am. This is an exclusive suite everybody, This is an exclusive release.
Speaker 2: We hit twenty.
Speaker 1: Million and that is a time to celebrate as well. So we finally hit the twenty million download So I have four sweets this week. I'm being super greedy.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm coming in hot with my suck.
Speaker 1: So this week, even though we're just back at work, it has been a incredibly challenging. It's just like work is just like compiled, like it's piled up. It's been a very stressful week. There's been a lot on and I had a night out on Thursday night where I was supposed to go out for a nice romantic night with Matt.
Speaker 2: We're going to go for dinner.
Speaker 1: We went to pastor Amelia, which is this little cute pasta shop in Surrey Hills, and I walked in and I started crying in public, and then I had to go to the bathroom and cry. And it wasn't necessarily to do with Matt. It was just a very overwhelming day. But I cried in public and it's not my It was.
Speaker 2: My best look.
Speaker 1: Maybe you never cry. I have a pasta, Mary Happy calms make you happy. I cried into my pasta. So that was my suck for the week, My off milk. Public crying, public emotions. So you guys know, like Laura is not one of those cries that it can be like cute and go fly under the radar, Like when Laura cries, you know she's cried. It wasn't a glistening tear just running down my cheek. I just go instantly like I've got pink eye and I also go like a toddler who can't get their breath.
Speaker 2: That's me when I cried.
Speaker 1: Okay and my sweet for the week. I mean, look, really already took the she took the thunder. It's all the same radio twenty million, being back, keep a pew, just being back and doing the podcast. You know what, it's We love doing this, We love creating this content. It was awesome interviewing Rebel and yeah, that is it from us. If you have loved the episode, jump on to Apple Podcasts, leave a review, share the love, Tell your friends, he mum, tell Dad, tell you dog, Tell your friends, and share the love because we love this