Speaker 1: Life on Cut acknowledges the traditional custodians of country whose lands were never seated. We pay our respects to their elders past and present.
Speaker 2: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. This episode was recorded on Cameragle Land Daddy Vibe.
Speaker 1: We just text all the time. Get sure my dad text it all the time.
Speaker 3: It texts when I dropped Elilah to him and I'm like, did she get there?
Speaker 1: Okay? Sometimes on his birthday, Oh that's cute. Do you remember when we first started the podcast.
Speaker 2: I would always be like, fuck, your dad's hot, and you were like, you need to stop.
Speaker 1: He does one hundred pull ups the morning at four thirty Din tell He's hi, guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life on Cut. I'm Laura, I'm Brittany. I'm giving the rock today. Anna Why. I looked at myself in the mirror when I got ready and I didn't have time to change, and I was like, wow, I look like the rock in that really famous photo. This is exactly that photo. And I actually had a chain around my turtleneck that I've got on. I had a chain and I was like, I can't do it. Does the rock wear Gucci crocs. You realized that the rock is the richest man in Hollywood. Yeah, he does. That's the photo where it's black. It's the one that everyone goes as Halloween. It's because of the belt and the color jeans with a turtleneck. That's why I was like, it's giving right, and you're.
Speaker 2: Bulging del toy now that you've said this, if you just put a bum bag on, thank you complete look.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And I was like, I probably have time to quickly put a different top on, but I was like just going to lean in. But hot rock, hot rock, hot rock. I'll take it. Yeah, thanks like hot, But I mean that's very what is it? Eighties? What one say? Yes, the rock from the eighties nineties. You look great.
Speaker 2: You look great today if you have been saying, which I wanted to know, because this is what always happens, whenever something funny happens in our lives, we're like.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh so I've been wanting to know what it is that you've been keeping secret from me.
Speaker 1: It's not a secret, but I just had this. It was funny. I had this realization and had to chuckle to myself out loud, and I wanted to tell you guys straight away because it involves you a little bit. But then I was not enough save it for the pod. No, so Ben and I in the last little week sent out like save the date kind of wedding invites. Yeah, got it, thank you for that. So just to double down, yeah you haven't responded, I did RSVP straight away.
Speaker 2: I was probably the first person to RSVP with Matt RSVP two to all events, all three. I RSVP to the Brittany and Ben spectacular. Okay, every single one.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a couple of days, DOMPI dramatic to the five day fucking affair. I met every single thing. It's one month, it's twenty eight events. You want me at the breakfast, the brunch, and the dinner. I am their girlfriend. I haven't even given you all of it yet. So half, for anyone that's new, half of our wedding is foreign and half is Australian. So Ben is Swiss, but he's also lived a lot of the time over in UK and in Germany and wherever else, so a lot of his people are coming from that kind of part of the world.
Speaker 2: When you said half of the wedding is you made it sound like it's a traveling circus.
Speaker 1: We're going to do half of it in Australia that we're going to take it. It's a well tool we could be. It's going to be a wonderful wedding. But yeah, so half all of his side, none of them Australian on his side except me. So we send the invites out and Ben's like, Babe, I've been getting into like these random messages about the wedding, just like yesterday, one of my friends messaged me and went dress code question mark, and so Ben wrote back and was like, oh yeah, sorry, brite set the dress code and he was like okay. He's like, but what is it done? No, because we put the dress code on there, done nothing. A day later, one of his other friends gets a message they made the missus wants to ask about the dress code question mark question mark. A couple of days go past, and I haven't heard about it yet. I don't hear about them individually. But after he got a couple he's like, it's so weird people keep asking me about the dress code and I'm like, that is weird. I was like, because our dress code is not like, it's pretty standard. This happens four or five times, and then one of his female friends messages, hey, I just wanted to follow up about the dress code and he's like, yes, what is the problem? They write the dress code. I think it's okay, and she was like, well, how strict is it? And he was like, well, pretty strict. I guess that's what she's decided she wants. And she's like, well, what if it doesn't go with my dress? And he's like, I'm sure, whatever's going to go. He's like he was like, oh, so confused. He's like, I'm sure it's going to be fine, and she goes, well, I just think it's a bit extreme, and he was like, I don't understand what the problem is. He's like, I'm sorry, the dress code is not extreme, and I think that you'll figure it out. And this goes back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I'm not involved at right. He sends me this conversation and then she goes, well, I don't understand how she's going to know if I if I wear it, and he's like, she's gonna know, she's going to see it, and she's like, well, that's a bit perverted. And he's like, I don't understand, and she's like, who in their right mind would make us wear and enforce no songs? And then Ben was like, Ben was like, they're going to be on your feet, she'll see them. And she went hang on feet and he was like, yeah, your feet and she was like, but a thong is a g string and he was like, oh my god, there is a language barrier here. So Ben calls me and he goes, Babe, half of the wedding things you've said they're not allowed to wear g strings, strict enforcement briefs or nothing, bridge joneses or nothing. And it makes so much sense why so many people were messaging and being like dress cone qush mark. Do you remember when it was our wedding?
Speaker 2: So like when Matt and I got married, we made one of those like I don't know, like the is a WEBSHD or a web whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like you go online and you fill it all out online.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you put all of the information for the wedding on like a little website, right that idea. Yeah, it's the same type of thing, and so that's where you put your your dress code and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, except Britta and I never got it y good things.
Speaker 2: So we made this website and I didn't realize that, like because I mean it was pre COVID, and like, we're pretty fucking unorganized. And I asked Matt to fill out half of it, and I feeled out half of it. Part of his thing to fill out was the dress code, and he had just like, because you have to populate before you can move on to the next page. So he populated some things without it being serious, just so that we could flick through to the next page to put all the important information in. And he had every intention to go back and fix those things.
Speaker 1: Like a placeholder.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, except he didn't go back and didn't fix those things. And so we sent out wedding invitation with the dress code dress sexy, and that went out.
Speaker 1: Okay, mind dress sexy, that's okay. Ben's nana got no.
Speaker 2: G strings one of those mirrored aisles. Also, at what age, what age you record you stop wearing a G string? Like, because it would I can't imagine I mean, bless her, she's gone now, but I couldn't imagine Nana wearing a G string.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine mine Nana wearing a G string. When do you give up? When do you say not for me anymore? I want to be hugged forever. I don't think it's your ass, to be honest, I think it's your lips, like it's on the fallen outside. I think when it gets a bit like more relaxed down there, I want to say relaxed over looser, but like gravity, when it ages, gravity takes over. I imagine that would be super uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: You know when you said that, the only thing I thought straight away was, oh, someone's going to be angry at you because you said lips are not lady.
Speaker 1: Someone's going to be so mad that you didn't say vulva. Yeah, but then when we say labia, we get in trouble too. Stop talking abou Laura's leaby being cut off. Sorry if she wants to cut off. But I had to go back onto the website, and then I updated the wedding invitation, so I kept it all the same. It still says like no thongs, but then I had to write in brackets for all your Europeans thongs means flip flops. You can, in fact still wear a G string. That's what I wrote that I sent that out, So now now that's gone to Ben's nan. So now Ben's nan, I have confirmed that if she wants to she can wear No. Actually, Ben Nantan has passedway, but he has other people she dressing peace. She can wear whatever you want. I know. I felt bad making the joke about his nan, and then I was like, she's not here anymore. But yeah, so it went out to a lot of people. It shouldn't have gone out to pleasant b How was your weekend? Okay, so my weekend. My weekend was great.
Speaker 2: It was very long because it was like, well, it wasn't really the long weekend. But we went down to Aladalla on Thursday and had four nights down south. And so if you guys are not following, or if you don't follow social media, you might not know this, but Matt and I we are renovating a house down in Ala Dollar. It's about three hours drive from Sydney. So we went down there on the weekend. And if you listened to last week's episode, it's kind of like beautiful synchronicity that happened. So last week on Tuesday, EP I was talking about how Matt and the kids and I had all been to this reptile park and how I am sick for the reptiles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do love a reptile. A great reptile park.
Speaker 2: I should go there one day, but never as a non parent did I get myself there. But on the weekend I went with Matt. I went with the kids, and it was like dreams come true. I had so much fun. I love reptiles. So the reptiles heard. They listened to Life Uncut, and they got the memo, the four one one.
Speaker 1: They know that I love the snakes and leave a review. Yeah, because otherwise I don't want to know about it.
Speaker 2: Posts here from the reptile parks. Okay, well you fucking.
Speaker 1: Know what happened. Don't pretend like your shop Brittany, what happened? Trying to move it along.
Speaker 2: So we go down to the house on Saturday and we were cleaning up the gardens and about halfway through the day, as we were walking down the side of the house, this massive python and I'm talking like almost.
Speaker 1: Two meters python is slithering up the fence line and Matt was still inside. It wasn't Matt's python.
Speaker 2: So it was slithering up like between the border between our property and the neighbors, and the neighbors had come out to look at it as well, and they were all making jokes like, oh, whose house is it gonna go into?
Speaker 1: Not really like yours, motherfucker. Yeah, not a funny joke.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it went into the bushes, and because we'd cut down a couple of like dead trees, and so I for a minute thought maybe we had cut down its home, like we'd cut down where it had been living. And so it was feeling a bit displaced because it was quite cute.
Speaker 1: Nah, not cute. It was like twenty meters long.
Speaker 2: It wasn't cute. It could eat you. No, it's not a bowl constrictor. It was a diamond python hot. And so it was in the bushes and it was like hanging down and we were cleaning up. We were watching it for half the day, and I kept saying to Matt, do you think we should get a snake catcher out? Do you think we should get a snake ketch? And he's like, nah, it's fine, like it's in the bush, let it go. Anyway, we'd stopped paying attention to the snake for a while, and we were still cleaning up this back area and I look up and as I look up into the tree, the fucking snake has climbed up. And there's this one bit where the tree is like a little bit close to the roof of the house, and it is just long, skinny neck is reaching out from the tree and it's trying to get towards the hot tiles of the roof.
Speaker 1: And before we could stop it, I went and I got the broom, and I was trying to know, what were you going to do?
Speaker 2: Well, I was trying to broom it out of the roof, so I had the broom handle, and I was trying to gently because I don't want hurt it, because I love snakes. So I was like trying to like get it out of the roof anyway. I like, I knocked it once and then it didn't like that, and so then it just went a bit faster, and all of a sudden, this big ass, which it had just eaten because I had a big, fat belly, had crawled into the roof of our house. So at that point I was like, cool, Matt, I think we should probably call the snake catcher.
Speaker 1: Now, I think we should probably burn down the house.
Speaker 4: We don't move.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about the fact that you have a small cat. Yeah, yeah, it's not good for Raspberry. Hey, you haven't seen Raspberry a few days. Not thinking of the cat. Also no good if we have a newborn either, that's not funny. You'd better not do it.
Speaker 2: So I get this number for a local snake catcher, right, So I call.
Speaker 1: Him Marp and he hello, my darling, Hello me dear. I was like, so irish, I do know. Is this man real? You're watching Lord of the Roof. He's real?
Speaker 2: And I was like, look, we've got a snake in the roof. Can you come out and help me? And he was like what would you like me to do about it? And I was like, get it the fuck out of my roof fleets. He goes, okay, send me a video. So I send him a video of the snake and he calls me right back and he goes, ah, a diamond python.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. Now. Explain to me, darling, why do you want to get it out of the roof.
Speaker 2: And I was like, because I think it's living there, and he goes, yes, you are right, it has been. It's its home. I would even bet it's been there for many years. You probably have lots of snakes in your roof because they like to live together. And I was like, I think you need to understand that this is horrifying for me, and we are kind of vibing on a different frequency right now. I said, oh, look, I don't think it's gonna come out anytime soon because I think it's just eaten, and he can and goes, no, my dear, I don't think it's eaten. I think it's pregnant. And is it splendid?
Speaker 1: I was like, you're far because have you seen a snake give birth? It doesn't have one fifteen to twenty eggs? And then some the size of that python, I reckon she's having fifty. Are you're gonna have fifty? From my python experience.
Speaker 2: Print me the button tamer that was from a different phase of life though, and it wasn't a python, I.
Speaker 1: Reckon, it's gonna have like fifty baby pythons. Imagine if you have fifty of those big giant things.
Speaker 2: In your Yes, I know that is exactly how I felt, and so pretty much told me he couldn't help me because he couldn't access the python through the manhole of the roof, and so the python is just there. He's just living in the roof, chilling. To be clear, be in a python. I don't think they actually I know, we're like laughing. I don't think they actually do much.
Speaker 1: I think they're actually really good in terms of they eat the rat.
Speaker 2: This is what he said, Like, just think about it. You'll never have any vermin or mice. How wonderful. So yeah, it's not good for Raspberry. But we do have a massive python and it is living in the house.
Speaker 1: So I'm not I'm never coming.
Speaker 2: We did have like really cool plans for long weekends down there, but it's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Now where does he get out of? Is there an obvious hole gutter?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: No, at the moment, the house is in all states of deconstructed, so there's many holes.
Speaker 3: Do the people who were doing the construction, no, because they're about to get a real jump scare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the problem.
Speaker 2: So we called our builder, who is an absolute legend, like this dude who's got four kids. He was like, his name's Tom, and we called him and I was like, hey, this is not not good times and he rocks up in his truck with his four children and his wife to look at it, to come and try and get out of the roof because he was worried about his workers and the reptile part. And they thought, this is actually it's a free reptor for free reptile party.
Speaker 1: Now you guys know, or you might not know, but you will. Now I am a sucker for love is blind. So love is blind. If you haven't seen it, it's like a very modern dating show where there's a bunch of men and a bunch of women and they go into these pods that are separated pods. It's just a room, right, but they go into these pods that's separated by these walls. The men are on one side, the women on the other. You go one woman per room, one man per room, and you talk to each other and you get to know each other and you write things down. You can send gifts through the room and stuff, but you never get to see each other.
Speaker 2: One might think that it's based on the premise that someone's personality is more important than.
Speaker 1: The way they look. It's exactly what it is. The whole idea is is love really blind? That's the question they pose the antidote to online dating. Maybe yes, so they it's like speed dating without seeing the other person. So all the people move between the pods. You get to speak to whoever you want, and then you form these Then you decide if there's like maybe one or two people that you want to pursue. Then at the end you have to have chosen your person blind blindly. Still then you get to meet. But the idea is you propose you're getting married. You are getting married without having seen each other. Then you go on a honeymoon that everyone goes, and that's where sometimes the drama starts to happen, because maybe one person might have had a connection with someone else but chose the other person, but then when they see them, they're more physically attracted to the other person. Then it's like do they leave, do they swap partners? Do they commit? It gets spicy. The reason I wanted to talk about this is there's one particular scene that happened episode two at the very start between two people, Steven and Monica, that sort of stopped me in my tracks a little bit, and I had to rewind it and say, did I just hear that correctly? So this happened in episode two season seven straight. At the start of episode two, Steven and Monica they have a conversation that really got me thinking about therapy tool and people using therapy tool to manipulate situations.
Speaker 4: Here's what I believe. You like someone for their qualities, but you love someone for their flaws.
Speaker 1: I've always been drawn to flaws.
Speaker 4: I've in the same way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Actually my most recent relationship, since you know, we're already getting into this, Yeah, I will divulge something that I am not very proud of at all, but I wear this brand and I think it's very important to be honest about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we're we're going to talk about cheating. Yeah, I technically hold the title of being a cheater. I've been cheated on multiple times as well. I believed that this person that I was dating at the time, I believed I didn't deserve her. Everyone has a different concept of cheating. One person's could be you know, looking at someone you know. Someone else's could be an actual physical act. I basically slid into a girl's DMS like a dumb ass, and we were sting with intention. You're emotionally cheating at that point I got caught, which I knew I would. I was very disappointed with myself and there was a lot of Yeah. I mean, if we went through therapy, we figured it out. I'm actively in therapy to talk about these things.
Speaker 5: And by the way, I really appreciate you sharing with me, and I want you to feel like you can tell me anything, like we're all human. I'm thirty six years old, Like it's not so black and white. The experiences that I've had to deal with from cheating are woof they are that's music grows and very very bad. And even in those situations, I've always found a path to forgiveness.
Speaker 1: I love how.
Speaker 2: He's managed to victimize himself in that cheating situation, like he's the one who acted outside of the relationship.
Speaker 1: And obviously I know there's many reasons I people cheat.
Speaker 2: We've talked about that a load of time, but in that one conversation, he managed to make himself the victim and gain her pity for his cheating.
Speaker 1: Oh, one hundred percent. But even the way he set it up, you can tell he knows what he's doing. This is what I think. I think he one hundred percent knew what the outcome was going to be. He was being vulnerable he dropped and he went to therapy. He dropped that he only did it because he didn't feel like she was good enough because she was such a queen. And also when he says he's a cheater, so he says, you know, I want to talk about cheating. I cheated, but I've been cheated on loads of times too, Like he quickly he didn't even sit in I'm a cheater. He quickly went straight to but I've been cheated on loads of times. He went straight to I'm a victim. And I had to rewind the whole scene. And I wonder how many people would have watched that and had an issue with it. There are some online threads going around, so I know that the people.
Speaker 3: Have I saw some things on Facebook groups and that kind of thing for Love is Blind that were very divided, and.
Speaker 1: Half of the people were like, hang on a second.
Speaker 3: He just made himself exactly how we all felt, you know, he just made himself the victim in a narrative where he was actually the person doing the wrong thing. But the other half of people were saying, at least he's honest about it, like, at least he's kind of coming forward with this information and she doesn't need to ask him these questions, and he's being truthful about his past experiences.
Speaker 2: But I also think that that's been reflected recently and the whole David Groll thing foo fighters. If you guys are across it, which I'm sure you are, he has fathered a child outside of his twenty something year marriage, and the social discourse around that was so interesting because some people were like, Wow, what a flog he cheated on his wife and had a baby with an adulterous affair. But the other part of the conversations was, well, at least he came out and he was honest, and he's acknowledged the baby, and he's going to be a good dad.
Speaker 1: What a great guy. If he's taking accountability for accountability.
Speaker 2: It is fascinating to me the way in which we are able to frame some things, and we can frame our shortcomings in a way that garner empathy and garner sympathy. And I'm not saying that this is black and white, because I do think that there are absolutely instances where someone's shortcomings and the things that they do that might hurt someone else very well can be the byproduct of the unfortunate situations that they've experienced themselves. But I do think that the language that's used is a way in order to gain favor, especially in this instance. It got me thinking about an article I read recently which was from Glamar. Now it was from last year, but the article itself was talking about how a lot of women prefer to date men who are either in therapy or who have gone to therapy because it shows that they are more emotionally in touch and that they're working on themselves and their own mental health. So I was speaking to Matt about this and I was like, surely, then if people if it is known that this is a desirable attribute that some women want, surely this is something that can then be used as a way to kind of garner affection or get a woman over the line. And Matt was like, talking about therapy is akin to talking about puppies. He's like, it is a green flag if a guy is on a first date talking about Oh look, this is really hard for me to tell you about, Like, you know, I go to therapy. I think that there's a fine line between endorsing it, which we obviously do on this podcast, and we talk about how amazing it is to be able to go do therapy and be able to have moments to talk about yourself and work on your mental health. But I also think keep those blinkers wide open for people who may use that as a way to try and prove that they are something that they're not.
Speaker 3: I question why that might be the case, because I think that the implication is that they are potentially at least more aware, perhaps of their emotions if they're going to therapy.
Speaker 1: I mean, there will be exceptions, some are court mandated therapy.
Speaker 3: But always Like, I'm trying to think about the positives as to why women would be like I want a guy who has been to therapy, and I think it's all about taking accountability for your own shit. And I think that it is somewhat dangerous for us to equate going to therapy with actually owning stuff and take accountability for behavior, you know, I don't think that these things automatically align.
Speaker 2: I also really want to be careful with this because I don't want this to sound at all like we're stigmatizing people who do go to therapy or people who talk about the fact that they go. And I think it's really important because like it's not just gendered. There are a lot of very conscious and intentional men out there who are going to therapy and it has been hugely beneficial to them, and they don't feel shame around talking about it, and therefore that's the reason why they've brought it up. I think it's more so for me. This whole idea of like therapy talk is when someone has learnt the language, they've learned the tools, they're not actually implementing it in their life, but they use it as a way to make themselves sound smarter, to make themselves seem like they are superior or authoritative in a way, and that almost like diminishes, especially within a relationship as well, it diminishes the thing that the other person might be experiencing. The example of this and where I think we've seen it more recently in like social discourse is a situation with Jonah Hill last year. So last year we saw Jonah Hill. We did a big episode on it all around him using the word boundaries to set limitations on his ex girlfriend Sarah Brady, who he'd said, it's my boundary that you don't go and surf with other men, and.
Speaker 1: It's my boundary that you don't post a bikini fils.
Speaker 2: It's my boundary that you behave in a way that I expect you to. And we unpacked on that episode this conversation around how a boundary is a limitation for yourself, it can't be a limitation for someone else, and that to me wreaked of someone who had been to therapy, had learnt the tools, but then was intentionally abusing those tools in order to coercive control their partner in a relationship.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, not everybody is cut from the same cloth. There could be people that go to therapy that are still wankers, women and men. Right, you still a dickhead, You're still want to do the same thing. Yeah, there are people that go to therapy that they come out the other side, Like Jesus, there are people that will never need to go to therapy and they're still wonderful people. Like I think, just putting that limitation on yourself for dating that you have to have gone to therapy exactly like Keisha said, that doesn't align with them being an amazing person that's emotionally available and not going to cheat on you.
Speaker 2: Like, in terms of talking about the ways in which we can abuse terminology. I think we see it beyond just dating, though. I think we see it with the overuse of the word toxic, with the word trauma, with the word triggered.
Speaker 1: Like narcissist, sociopath. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean we might have a negative experience with someone who has treated us badly, and then we've instantly blanketed them as a narcissist, which is a pathological diagnosis. Like you can't just have one interaction with someone who cheats on you or treats you badly. That doesn't instantly mean that they are narcissistic or a narcissist. I do think we overuse these words. For me, even in the industry that we work in, we have to be so careful with the things that we say from time to time, and we will often go, oh, should we put a trigger warning on this? Should we talk about the trauma that's associated with this? And I think we've almost become too trigger warning happy in a lot of ways, because something that someone might not want to listen to because it makes them feel uncomfortable, that's not necessarily a trigger. Like a trigger is someone who has experienced a deeply traumatic event there's been lots of studies around how trigger warnings are actually more negative, and trigger warnings themselves can more negatively impact a greater population than not having it in the first place. It almost seems these days as though everybody has experienced trauma, Like we use the word trauma to literally describe everything.
Speaker 3: I think that's like the situation that everyone's experience as a subjective, right, so someone's trauma will be subjective, but a term like triggering is actually an objective word, and so the overuse of it. And I'm even guilty of this myself. I mean, on this podcast over the years, I would have described one of my ex's behaviors as narcissistic, and I think as we've kind of gone on and spoken to experts, I've actually realized that by me labeling that person as a narcissist, it has diluted the experience of someone who has actually experienced narcissistic abuse.
Speaker 1: And I really regret that, Like I really regret.
Speaker 3: Amounting my experiences to something that someone really has been damaged by. And I think that's the problem with the overuse of these words. And it's not just about narcissism, you know, A lot of people will say things like I say it on TikTok all the time. Oh, I have trauma from one of my past relationships because my ex used to not write back to me for twenty four hours and it would give me anxiety and blah blah blah. And I'm like, Okay, let's actually unpack the words we're using here. You said I have trauma from a past relationship to me. I just think that we've kind of gone a little bit too heavy into this therapy speak when we're using it in such a liberal way, because people have.
Speaker 1: Genuinely experienced really really awful.
Speaker 3: And traumatizing events in relationships, especially you know, we talk about domestic violence law on this podcast. I just think that perhaps as a way to try and you know, we love to put a label on everything.
Speaker 1: We love to have everything categorized.
Speaker 3: We love to have these buzzwords and also words like this, especially when you're in therapy and you start using them in your general vocabulary, it implies a certain level of emotional intelligence.
Speaker 1: And I just think the pendulum might have swung a little too far. It's just overuse of the word. It's lost its meaning. It has an oversaturation and I read a really interesting article from a teacher, a primary school teacher, no so high school teacher, bit early like twelve, thirteen fourteen. She wanted to stay anonymous because she didn't want it to get back to her kids. But she said she cannot believe the uses of these terms that she hears amongst preteens. So she says she has a really hard time trying to be delicate and understand and guide them, but also say you can't be using those words. So she's like, when they're referring to a breakup and they're thirteen and fourteen, they're saying he's definitely a sociopath, Like what a narcissist because they're seeing these terms on TikTok. They break up with friends, they're using the same kind of words. When it's not when like we would go back to our time, I didn't even know what it was. It's just a fight with a friend and you'll probably make up in in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: But someone can just be a dickhead. They don't have to be emotionally abusive. Someone can just be a wenka today doesn't mean that they're a sociopath.
Speaker 1: You can be a fuck with and not narcissist, like these things are not interchangeable. But I found that really interesting because that is who we are setting up, That is the future generation that don't quite grasp the true meaning what these terms are because they have become standard vocabulary.
Speaker 2: And interchangeable and don't become interchangeable with just normal experiences that we are all going to go through as part of like figuring out how to socially exchange with other people.
Speaker 1: And I know we were talking about it, Laura, the use of the terms that we throw around now, Like when we have an argument with our partner, it's not an argument, it's gas lighting. Oh yeah, look, it's a good way to win an argument. Put it that way.
Speaker 2: You want to win an argument, tell your partner they're gas lighting you, like it won't go down.
Speaker 1: Well, you'll win, but you won't make up.
Speaker 2: Gas Lighting is a real and intentional lie to try and distort someone else's perception of what they experienced. It is an intentful act. Whereas like we are all going to have disagreements and arguments with our partners where we don't see things the same way because our experience of what we just did and went through or the way we spoke to each other. Our perceptions around it were different. And it's funny because like Matt and I will sometimes and you know, like I'm not sitting up on my pedestal here being like, oh, we shouldn't do this, because.
Speaker 1: We all do it.
Speaker 2: We've all called our ex boyfriend's narcissists. We've all told someone that they're gas lighting us when they're probably not. Matt and I will have an argument and either he'll say it or I'll say it, you're gaslighting me. And what we are meaning by that is I'm trying to convey how I experience something and you're telling me I'm wrong, right, But when when you actually unpick it and try and like get down to the root of it. Really it's just two people who actually love each other, who have a lot of respect for each other. But we both experienced that fight or whatever the thing was that set us off differently. We both had a different perception of what happened, and so neither one of us is right. We're probably right fifty to fifty. One person probably said something with a bit of tone. The other person probably had a bit of a fucking face or did something that made the other person feel inferior and then it kicked off. It's really important, and sometimes I have to stop myself and I'm like, he's not gaslining you. He just had a different experience and he's fucking wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But it's funny because we can sit here, you know, on our high horses and preach and say it's overused. But like you just said, we're all guilty of overusing it. But it's something that we need to start to be conscious about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's the big thing. It's not like none of this is criticism. It's all just like awareness around what's the behaviors that we do and are we contributing to something that's like as a bigger picture could be slightly problematic, I.
Speaker 1: Will throw myself under the bus. The theme of Ben's and my relationship is literally, this is how you made me feel when you said that, And then the other person says, but I didn't mean it like that. I didn't mean to make you feel like that. And I think that comes down to a bit of maybe a language barrier. Like some it's not the language barrier, because his English is wonderful, but when things are directly translated from you know how he grew up into English, it doesn't come out sometimes the same way, like an interpretation barrier. So I'll be like, I can't believe you said that, and he's like, but I didn't mean it like that, and I said, yeah, but this is how you made me feel. He's like, but that wasn't the intention. And that's where we end up getting stuck because I'm like, whether it was your intention or not, I'm upset, and he's like, Okay, I'm sorry, but can you understand why I said it? And that's the back and forth. And we've got to an amazing place now where we barely argue about anything because everything, well, we just blame it on the language barrier. If one of us fucks up, we're like, help, it's the old language barrier. It's interesting that you.
Speaker 3: Bring up perception, though, because to bring it back to the love is blind thing that we initially were talking about, it like cat back on.
Speaker 1: Track of motherfuckers? Why are we talking about your argument styles.
Speaker 3: I just think it's interesting because I am so all about therapy.
Speaker 1: I'm all about people going and sorting their mental health.
Speaker 3: I've had diagnosed mental health issues for years and years and years. I'm all about it, And I think the reason I feel the need to say that is because I've spoken in a very negative way because what I've referred to, I think is the use of therapy to shift the perception of the.
Speaker 1: Way that someone else sees you.
Speaker 3: And that's what I have a bit of a problem with, not the actual therapy or the fact that people are trying to work on themselves. So in the situation that unfolded with Stephen and Monica, what I thought was the most interesting part is that he kind of drip fed these few things about therapy, and I feel as though he did that in a way to change the way that she saw him. I thought that he did it in a way to kind of prove that he was emotionally mature, that he was willing to work on relationships if they had problems, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think it's something that some people it's very manipulative.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying he's done it manipulative. I don't even know if he did it deliberately, but I think he did.
Speaker 2: I think there are people out there who use their shortcomings or the things that they've done in past relationships, and they use honesty around it as a way of showing vulnerability and gaining trust.
Speaker 1: The reason I think that this was pure manipulation in this particular scene is because he went for the maximum amount of emotion for the minimal amount of hurt infliction. And what I mean by that is he was like, I need to talk about cheating something I did. I'm so not proud of it, Like it was horrible what I did, but I just didn't feel good enough and I'm going to therapy now. But I messaged a girl. Like his cheating was that he messaged a girl. So he's trying to manipulate Monica to be like, I can't believe I stooped so low, but I'm working on it. So she's thinking, fuck, what's he done? And then he's done this bait and switch, so she's like, in her own head, her internal monologue would be like wow, Like that's what you think is bad. You categorize bad as just messaging a girl, knowing that probably highly likely Monic has been cheated on horrifically, which she actually has. So now her unconscious bias is like, wow, he thinks this is the worst thing he could do. His message a girl and he's working on that bingo I've got to catch. So that's what I think he has done. Look at that, really, that is very intotective. Brittany. Yeah on the case. Yeah, maximum emotion for the minimal amount of pain infliction. That's really interesting.
Speaker 3: Last night we put up a couple polls on the Life on Cut Instagram story, and one of the questions was have you ever dated someone who used the fact that they went to therapy as a way to prove their emotional maturity, and only eleven percent of people said that they had, which felt quite low.
Speaker 1: We also put a little.
Speaker 3: Question box on there for people to kind of share their experiences if they wanted to. And the most interesting thing, I thought, this is really really funny. The most common response that we got was that people had in fact done that themselves, like they had. I don't know if they had realized that they had done it until they'd read the question, but a lot of people were like, oh, wow, I've just realized.
Speaker 1: I actually do this problem.
Speaker 3: I use it as a way at least they're self aware, maybe because they've been in therapy.
Speaker 1: I thought this was interesting.
Speaker 2: A lot of responsibly received was that the people who had they acted as though it meant that they were above being questioned or held accountable because they had done the work and they knew better, So it gave them this sense of superiority within the relationship because they couldn't be wrong because they'd been to therapy.
Speaker 3: I think that that actually goes back to what you were saying about gaslighting.
Speaker 1: I think a word like that is authoritative one hundred percent, but people use it also as an excuse as to why they are doing bad behavior. So in a relationship, like as long as you're going to therapy, you can use that, I'm working on it. I'm in therapy, like I'm trying. I know I've been in an ashole for a year, but I'm in therapy, so I'm trying. It doesn't mean anything like therapy only works. If you want it to work, you have to be so proactive. Just going there so that you can throw the t around doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 3: Funny, you mentioned excuses, Brick, because that was the last slide that we put up last night. With a poll, we asked if people use their time in therapy as an excuse to avoid accountability. Again, a pretty low percentage it was only fourteen percent who had But here are some of the responses. He went to therapy for professional evidence that he was fucked up and couldn't help mistreating me. Wow, my ex started therapy as a way to keep me after I found out that he had cheated on me.
Speaker 1: I've experienced that.
Speaker 3: Used to say things like I brought this up with my therapist and they agreed with me. My therapist said that it's likely you have validation issues from your childhood and that's why you are needy.
Speaker 2: Wow. Imagine being diagnosed by someone's secondhand because they've talked about you in therapy.
Speaker 1: Thanks for that, Pal, cheers for that. Got daddy issues.
Speaker 3: Apparently my ex's therapist told him that he cheated on me because he wasn't loved enough as a child, and he used to use it as an excuse to always be the victim and repeated that I simply wouldn't understand.
Speaker 1: Speaking a victim. The only thing that we haven't touched on yet that grinds my gears. I get it, I get that there are people out there that are gonna live like this, but his comment at the start where he said she just was too good for me, like I didn't felt like I didn't deserve her. I felt like I didn't deserve her, which is why I cheated on her. I just find that ninety niner percent of the time such a piss, weak, fake excuse. Like if you truly didn't think you deserve someone, and you had this absolute queen that wants to be with you and does everything right, you worship her like you worship your relationship. I think it's an excuse that's similar to it's not you, it's me, Like it's like, I just don't want to be with you. I cheated on you because I don't really what particularly want to be with you right now. It's not because you thought she was too good for you. I'm sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on whatever his name is, Stephen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like it's punishing someone for your own inadequacies, is what it is. But I think that this would be more common than what maybe we're giving credit to. And what I mean by that is is for anyone who has been cheated on, the two very common explanations for it is one I didn't feel good enough or worthy enough, and also the second one is I didn't feel loved enough. Or connect enough in the relationship. There is always some sort of reasoning. I mean, the third one is just that I'm lacking in empathy and I'm a sociopath and I like to you know, once again, throwing turns around, but it is it's lacking in the ability to have empathy or care for your relationship, because that does exist as well. But it's hard to unpack which one of those things is the reason, and.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's a little bit of a combination of all of them. Sometimes I also don't want to take away the fact that that actually happens, like it does happen, and people that don't feel good enough it is a real reason, Like I do want to validate it. I just think it gets thrown around too much as well. I've had people say that to me and I have had that feeling as well. Like I was in a relationship I remember I've spoken about a few years ago, very early on. We dated for three months when I was living in England. I was so into it, he was really into me. It was going really well, and then I found out that he was from his fa family were billionaires, like they were in the top richest people and he didn't tell me that I just did a stalk, like I just googled him, you know, because I was like, I wanted to find out more because it was just it was he was every time I would ask questions with a bit elusive, and it was obviously because he wanted to protect the fact that his family had money, which I totally get. And the second I found out, I self sabotage that relationship because I didn't feel good enough. I was like, but I cheat on guy.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying is I can understand when people say they get that feeling of not feeling good enough, and I was like, I will not fit into that life. I'm not good enough to be in that in that world. And I had that feeling, but it didn't relay into cheating and me being a dickhead. I was just like, Oh, this isn't the relationship for me. I don't which I you know, this part of me their regrets. We'd love a billion dollars, but I've got ben, so we won't go into that too much.
Speaker 3: I think what I hate about that the most, though, is that so often and I am going to be talking in like gender stereotypes here, so often I think men use that as a weapon against successful women. Oh, you're achieving so much, And I just didn't feel like I was good enough in this relationship and that's why I was seeking validation from other girls on Instagram or like, I just get really frustrated because I see that narrative play out a lot. I've seen it happen in my own life, you know, when I've had various successes and the people that I was dating were really envious of that and used it as a way to like justify their shitty behavior, which only made me feel worse because I was like, well, I'm trying to strive and succeed, and you're using this as a reason for why you've cheated on me, Like you've implied that I'm at fault for that.
Speaker 2: I think that in order to like wrap this up, one thing that is very evident is like, although therapy is great, it certainly isn't the green flag. And dating it definitely doesn't mean that someone's got everything figured out. It certainly doesn't mean that that person is emotionally or mentally at a place of nirvana where you've hit the jackpot. And I think as well, like if somebody is bringing it up early in your dating or using it as a way to garner sympathy for things that they have done in the past, or is an excuse of how that they've bettered themselves from the things they've done in their past. Don't discredit I'm not saying that everything is something to be like alert and alarmed, but like you know, have the blinkers well and truly aware of what could be happening and how those conversations could be unfolding.
Speaker 1: Well, I haven't finished it yet, so I don't know if Steven and Monica end up together. I don't know if this little tidbit of therapy manipulation is going to like get him the home run. But I'll keep you posted, and if you guys have watched it, don't send me spoilers. It's time for accidentally Unfiltered Now. I have a long one, but it is brilliant. Back in two thousand and eight, I was eighteen and lived in the Central Coast, but we used to go to Fanny's nightclub in Newcastle every weekend. Fanny's Nightclub I think frequented. I used to live in new It frequented Fannies. Take that the wrong way. It was my first ever nightclub, Fanny's.
Speaker 3: Fanny.
Speaker 2: Imagine being the marketing guy who was like, you know what we should call this place Fanny's nightclub?
Speaker 1: It was called something else.
Speaker 3: They've changed it now, they referbed and it's called the.
Speaker 1: Eig Old House now, which is nowhere near as fun but probably slightly classy. Okay, I'm going to Fanny's tonight. My church used to be next door to it. From Fanny's to church.
Speaker 3: Yes, sometimes on a Sunday church there would still be people trickly out.
Speaker 1: Would they be going to confessional? Okay, let's soundtrack We're at Fanny's. My best friend's boyfriend, Mattise one night with a couple of his mates. I saw one of them and was in immediate love. The feeling was mutual and we made out the entire night. He lived on the northern beaches of Sydney, but his family also owned a holiday house right on the beach at the Central Coast, which coincidentally was just down the road from my house. He and I made plans to meet up the following day at the beach right in front of his place. I was fashionably early an hour or so. It's a bit creepy. Sitting out the front of his house for an hour, I was fashionably early. I text him to let him know I was there and to take his time. He responded immediately, apologizing that his dad had asked him to go back to Sydney for the day to run errands. He'd be back later in the afternoon, and he said he'd make it up to me by taking me to dinner that night. An hour or so goes by, and then I see a large group of girls congregate on the beach in front of his house. I didn't think much of it until one of them walked up the stairs and came back to the beach with him. But she just said, I'm here, but it was an hour's gone past. He went out with her into the ocean, and I started making out. I sat and watched for far too long. Oh no, my heart was breaking. But in therapy, I really we should be I really thought I had met the most amazing guy. So before I left the beach, I walked up past where they were swimming, and I yelled out from the shore, nice one, dickhead, and I flipped him the bird, and then I walked off. All of these girls cracked up laughing at me. He looked shocked. His girlfriend looked fucking puzzled. I was like, yeah, I really showed him. By the time I walked home, I had a message from him, Hey, how is the beach? Are you still there? I'm leaving Sydney now, I'll be home in an hour. I can't wait to see you. He mustn't have seen me from the ocean.
Speaker 2: And I thought, sick, I know what's happening here. Haha.
Speaker 1: I thought the height of this motherfucker. I had texted the most awful message back, saying I saw you at the beach. I'm not dumb. Delete my number, I'm blocking you, et cetera. He responded, what I've been in Sydney. I blocked him, deleted, forgot about him. A year later, my friend's boyfriend asked why I ghosted the guy and that he always asked how I am. And I told him what happened, and he absolutely lost it, laughing. He was cracking up, and I'm like, wow, I'm glad you think this is funny. He proceeded to tell me that he has an identical twin brother. I knew. I knew it. The brother has tattoos and the twin doesn't. But how was I supposed to know that? Because I had never seen him with his shirt off. I had already been in a relationship for seven months by this stage with a different guy. But I was curious if this was the truth. And then I knew I had fucked up. Yup, googled Facebook and searched for him identical twin brother. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I love that she was flipped in the verb yeah, good one, dickheads, But.
Speaker 1: Imagine the girlfriend. Imagine the girlfriend being like, explain yourself totally dock was that the girlfriend would have just been so confused.
Speaker 2: Okay, surely, surely the guy would have realized that she had seen the brother, Like sure, come on, he would have known because he would have been like, what are you talking about, I'm in Sydney. And then he would have gone, oh, that's right, I'm an identical twin and my brother has a girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Like, surely he's not that dumb. But you know what she did say that, like, they've met up sporadically over the years and they still have big feelings for each other, but their stars haven't aligned. If you feel like that and you've got a boyfriend of seven months. You just oh, this was a.
Speaker 3: Long time ago. This was back in twenty eighteen. But maybe what they need is Fanny's. Maybe they need for Fannies to reopen so they can rekindle the love.
Speaker 2: Sounds like she needs a bit of dick, to be honest. Sorry, continue, that was too far.
Speaker 1: All right on that note, and that note that's not okay.
Speaker 2: Sorry everyone, If you've made it this far, you're in the fold, all right, No suck and sweet my suck for the week. Look, I know that there's rules and we're not supposed to say things we've already said. But there is a two meter long diamond python in the roof and it's pregnant having babies.
Speaker 1: Fair, I'd say that that's pretty bad. Doesn't get much worse than that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Actually, my other suck is So we're cleaning out the garden, just trying to make it so that's actually usable.
Speaker 1: Hopefully it'll be done by Christmas. I don't think it will be, but I'm trying. Okay.
Speaker 2: So we're cleaning out the garden and I got this scratch. It's so nothing, it's the most nothing scratch in the whole world. But it did bleed for a little while, but the scratch was on a rusty, dirty nail, and so then I had to go and get a tetnis shot. So I had to leave the work site and go and get a tetanus shot. And if you've had a tetnis shot, they make you really tired. And then I had to use a broom for two days.
Speaker 1: I'm such a.
Speaker 3: Hard laborer, snake catching and tetanus needling.
Speaker 2: I had to dust and like my shoulders her and my hip's hurt, my back hurts, could have tetanus, could.
Speaker 1: Die, It's fine, I'm fine. Could also get eaten by a dive in Python.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I literally went to the medical center in Milton and she was like, I don't think it would be possible to get tetanus from such a shallow scraud.
Speaker 1: She's like, it.
Speaker 2: Hasn't even actually broken a serpace, she said, just so you know how tetanus forms, it's like asphorically.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's like a word that she used.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what it was, but basically, it's like it needs to embed itself into your muscle. And she's like an aerob an aeroby She's like that is very superficial, but I'll give it to you anyway.
Speaker 1: I feel like your cat could have scratched you deeper than't it. Yeah, but my cat's not a rusty, dirty nail that's been in the earth. The cat's dead the python. My cat is in a python stomach. Okay, well, my sweet is, my sweet is? You don't have one.
Speaker 2: Say that the tiles went into the downstairs bathroom. That's a fucking sweet.
Speaker 1: It looked good.
Speaker 2: The renout is taking shape, and every time I go into the house now I have these moments.
Speaker 1: Of like I can see what is going to be.
Speaker 2: Whereas before I was like I have no idea how this shit show is going to turn out, but now I can kind of see it coming together.
Speaker 1: Okay, my suck this week, I had a really really great week, so I don't have any sucks. My suck is going to sound so dumb. It is a public holiday today when we're recording in New South Wales and we're at work. We got to work early, we're all working all day. We don't get the public holiday. But that's not even the suck.
Speaker 2: Because we would never leave you guys hanging, So we work all the talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But the suck is that I got here didn't have a lot of sleep because it's supportive girlfriend. It's Ben's match day, which he plays at one thirty in the morning, so I was watching that that we got up at six blah blah blah blah. The suck is that there is no coffee shop open in any vicinity of our work today. So I always get to work and get my coffee. I felt like I needed it more than ever today everything's closed. I made you a really delicious one, though, so bad. I think it's off. I think that milksaf we made when at work with this little coffee machine. So bad. My sweet for the week is it hasn't really happened yet. But Delilah has like a photo shoot tomorrow. Delilah has a job that she's doing her out and part of the job is she has to wear like the cutest outfit that you've ever seen. So I can't wait to show you, guys, because she looks she looks proper lit like, she looks like a rock star. Cute.
Speaker 2: I'll show you. I can't wait to see it. She looks my sweetest that my dog looks lit tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Stop it stop. You need to say, I don't know. She looks like Elton John, if that's what you mean by a rock star, Like she's giving Elton John.
Speaker 2: She looks like cute.
Speaker 1: Shit, she looks like a seventy eight year old man. But that looks like a saxophonist. If a dog could be like a jazz star, she looks like a jazz star.
Speaker 2: Very cute.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, look, guys, that is it from us.
Speaker 2: If you have loved the episode, go and leave a review subscribe. You can also go and watch it on the YouTube channel. You can join the Facebook discussion group at Life Uncut Discussion Group. You can follow us on TikTok. There's lots of ways that you can be within the Life Uncut orbit. Get into the ecosystem, insert yourself.
Speaker 1: And also please vote for us for the podcast awards. We've only got one more week of voting and then you'll never hear from us again.
Speaker 2: We've got like five days think and so yeah, look, if you've made it this time in the episode, you owe it to us because you've just gotten a lot of content for free. I know you have to listen to a couple of ads, but all we ask for is listen to two ads and vote.
Speaker 1: So that is the Australian Podcast Awards website. Listener's choice is what we're asking to vote for, So you just type in Lifeline cut to listeners choice, press go and then go to your email and validate the vote and we'll really appreciate it. We'll link in the show notes. It's also in our insta bio just to make it super easy for you. And don't forget say mum's say dad tey dog tee. Friends and share the love because we love love