Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms. Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Flex and Frooms doing a podcast. This one's very interesting. We talk about intrusive thoughts, which I think is very chronically online term. Not the original term itself, but the fact that you know when something gets used to obscurity, that it no longer has any meaning. It's one of those things I always question myself when I use that word, similar to the word epiphany. I'm like, is it ever that deep? Did I just have a thought? Did it have to be at epiphany?
Speaker 1: I don't know. And also I think you can experience something like intrusive thoughts and not have a mental disorder. DSM speak the fam you know, yeah, I do so anyway, I hope it's interesting and I have a call to action at the end. Please heed the advice. But everyone's road being mad at me. I want to hear if you have you know makes sense if you've got a milk bar, family dancing in your life. And also you feel uncomfortable watching TV, you know what? Find me?
Speaker 2: The card action kills me. I have a cord action.
Speaker 1: At the end, Marketing speak, let's go Flex and Frims Flex and frames cater never miss a beat flex. As you know, I was telling you about it earlier. This week, I've started writing down my dreams not to bring air, not to bring on air unless you force me to. I'd love to share them, but I musually is an exercise to tap into what my brain's thinking on my subconscious as a way to find out what's real, what's fake, and thus quell my anxiety.
Speaker 2: That sounds really good. I think everyone can learn something from that, Thank you.
Speaker 1: I've also started making smoothies in the morning, so I have a yummy breakfast hot so good for me?
Speaker 2: What kind?
Speaker 1: Can I just get a little banana oats, cow's milk and ice in my nutrie bullet?
Speaker 2: Absolutely okay, propaganda, queen.
Speaker 1: I am. It's nobody wants to drink Jerry milk anymore.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: If you're vegan, that's totally fine, of course, But if you're a normal person, when did it become uncle?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because I was eating dairy milk and crunching nut for my whole childhood, and then I was off it.
Speaker 1: Crunching nut, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like crunching out.
Speaker 1: It's just the best m crunching nut let's keep it pushing. I want to talk about this intrusive thought that I had, so we all know what intrusive thoughts are. They're often the source of a lot of anxiety. They're very common in OCD. I don't know if they're real or not. Do you think they're real? They are real?
Speaker 2: I have no reel as in like, when you have an intrusive thought, are you like I thought that or you were like that was someone else in there because that wasn't me.
Speaker 1: Well, if you are using therapy and figuring it out, you know it's something else. It's not you. Oh no, I still think it's you, but you know it's not true. Whereas when they're intrusive and they're occurring to you and you can't get out of it, it feels like what the thought is is true, which is scary because the thoughts are not nice and they make you scared and anxious. Anyway, I also have intrusive thoughts that are totally consequential. They don't make me anxious. They're just weird and they happened forever. This intrusive thought is when I was growing up, there was a milk bar in my suburb.
Speaker 2: Did you have a milk bar in your suburb. I think that's a Victoria thing. Is that like a corner store?
Speaker 1: Yeah, where the lollies are? Yeah, the Lolli storey, this milk bar. And there was a family that lived there, two sons and a mom and a dad, and they lived inside the millbar like at the back, okay, And like the boys were me and my sister's age, so we'd like see them mountain stuff. Weren't really friends of them, like they didn't go to our school, but we knew them anyway. I used to have this intrusive thought that, like, it would be my family and their family having a dance off, and it'd be like on a screen and they're on the ones below us, and we're on like a phone top of the screen, and we're both doing the same choreographed dance with each other to a song like a video game.
Speaker 2: That feels like be in an a twenty four movie.
Speaker 1: Seriously, And it would always come up, and I couldn't get it out of my head.
Speaker 2: Come up when you'd interact with them, and you just think this thought no, just for years afterwards.
Speaker 1: Generally, just so weird would just come up of us and them dancing, and it's like, you should make that into a short film.
Speaker 2: That's gonna win a sun Dance anyway.
Speaker 1: I want to try and talk about intrusive thoughts, maybe intrusive thoughts that you have or kind of these inconsequential loops that you might have that make no sense. So this family and I dance into a song and it often be something like Backstreet Boys.
Speaker 2: I can see it in my head.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, and it's like, yeah, I know, I know I'm in your head. It's so scary, And like I get this thing sometimes as well, where I'm watching TV and all of a sudden it's super uncomfortable to watch it, but I can't stop watching it.
Speaker 2: Do you get that a bit like sleep paralysisy?
Speaker 1: No, It's like this extreme feeling of uncomfortability comes over me where watching it is uncomfortable, but I can't stop. And it's not like I can't stop but I don't want to, it's just like why is this happening? Physically?
Speaker 2: Can't stop or just like you feel like you're you feel compelled to keep watching.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm watching something and I'm enjoying it, but then the feeling comes over me and all of a sudden, it feels like I'm watching it, but I'm not concentrating, and I'm like, hmm, it's this uncomfortable shift in my body. Brook. Do you ever experience this, Like you're watching something and you're in it, but then something starts feeling uncomfortable in your body. You get uncomfortable in your body. It's almost like your head kind of spins, and then you feel like you're no longer you and you're just watching it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe you feel like more than an intrusive thought, you've been body snatched.
Speaker 1: Anyway. I need to start chronicling these little things, because it's like the intrusive thought of the Millbar family, the weird dream thing where I'm seeing locations that don't exist in my dream, mixed with having conversations with people while I'm talking, having picture in certain areas. It's all connected. Somebody out there will understand the feeling when you're watching or reading something and instantly like it's like the tectonic plates in your body just shift a little bit and gotta shift back in place. Anyway, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: That was a very poetic way to describe that. Like that really like encaptured that discomfort.
Speaker 1: I'm good at that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta do more writing.
Speaker 1: Oh I am just last week.
Speaker 2: These things though, these small things that like don't really have a place, Like I know, you don't want to do piggyback journaling. I'm not gonna say that, but you know, like sometimes it feels like you want to write a whole newsletter or a hole this, but these small feelings are so worthy of like being documented.
Speaker 1: You should document them, you know what. I actually have that in chapters period period.
Speaker 2: Intrusive thoughts is such an like a chronically online internet thing, So I don't think I use the phrase until like social media.
Speaker 1: Oh it's totally It's like people saying they've got OCD.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I was like, I don't know if I have intrusive thoughts in the way that people describe them. But I just googled what an intrusive thought was, just to be sure that we're talking about the same thing, and it says just like thoughts have come out of nowhere and the images are often unwanted or unpleasant. But I'm like, is that always the case? Because I often find that when I enter a parking lot, yep, I have this intrusive thought, like it'll have no exit and I'll just be going around and around and around and around and around. I'll never come out. Or if I'm driving out of a parking lot with someone, I have an intrusive thought that will drive out and realize it's been the end of the world and like not like a the world doesn't exist. It's like zombie apocalypse or like cataclysmic event and we just have to like start out life from there. Where are we going? What are we doing? But what I'm trying to do is just speak these things out loud. So when it happened the other day, telling my best friend I had this thought, and then we mapped out what we could do, like an option, and it felt like I felt validated, Like it just went away.
Speaker 1: It quelled it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe that's part of it, like not acting on the thought, but sharing the thought to just like get get pass it on, take it out of the loop.
Speaker 1: But yeah, please guys, message me if you know the uncomfortable feeling or you keep like keep.
Speaker 2: Not now obviously because everybody in the room, But I feel like if you keep thinking about it, like you're gonna find more ways to express what it is you're feeling, and then like we'll be like, oh wait, I think I know that feeling. Maybe I don't sit in front of the TV enough to police to know. Please, I'm a phone girl. Bear me love that sex and city lifestyle. But alas that's enough for today.
Speaker 1: You know where to find me. I will be working on myself. I will be working it out myself. But I do love reinforcements, flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: They're the best. What did you I want to talk about beauty? We've had a few discussions about it, but let's bring it back because I love when we can like look at ourselves in the mirror and say, hey, something's not quite right in your heart of hearts. Can you like acknowledge how much money you've spent to like enhance or maintain your beauty? Yes, like how much do you think it would be?
Speaker 1: Ah? No comment?
Speaker 2: Oh high? Like wait no, not just high, higher than you think people would think.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Fashion, and we're not talking about little Sephora freebies, all the mega goodies.
Speaker 2: What are we talking about?
Speaker 1: Just hair like braces all them, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: So there's this cent a millionaire and that I just thought we're doing billions CENTI millions. It's when you are estimated to have over one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: Or more one hundred million or billion, one hundred million.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know what that is. Yeah, there's this like forty five year old entrepreneur center millionaire who spent roughly two million dollars a year to want to look and feel internally and externally eighteen forever.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And initially when I read that, I think I had a similar reaction. I was like, Oh, this is like a bit ridiculous. But I thought, to myself, doing invasive like bio chemistry experiments in yourself to like maintain youth seems like a smarter thing to do than what I'm doing, which is spending endless amounts of products to like slather on top like topical right, or like to add into my hair. That just feels insane. So basically, he says that he's on a spiritual, mental, and physical quest to turn back his biological clock. He wants to return his forty five year old body to his brain, his heart, his lungs, his liver, his kidney's tendons, teeth, skin, hair bladder, penis, and rectum two. It's eighteen year old condition. And he says that he reportedly and I don't really know his bass I don't have his profit and loss, but he employs over thirty doctors and healthcare professionals and sticks to a really really expensive and particular diet, fitness and supplement regimen, and he routinely has these procedures, which he says they're extremely painful, like the procedures and the recovery, but he believes that the effort is worth the outcome.
Speaker 1: What kind of procedures would he be doing.
Speaker 2: I mean, whatever it's necessary to return all of his vital organs back to what they were when he.
Speaker 1: Was eighteen black market.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he's doing, like he's taken some stuff out, he's putting some fresh stuff, fresh stuff in. But realistically I feel like he's on the right track. I just don't. Okay, Like, let's look at what we do right So right now, I've got braids in my hair, So that's plastic hair in my hair, right, odd? But whatever, And I would sooner.
Speaker 1: Does that mean it's really flammable? Yeah? True?
Speaker 2: And I would sooner spend three hours to put this fake hair in then spend ten minutes a night doing a scout massage that has been scientifically proven to stimulate hair growth.
Speaker 1: Has it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like one oh one scout massages. I'm like, ah, And in my head, I'm like, this topical thing, this instant what's the thing I'm looking for? Instant like fix, instant gratification. Instant fix feels like it makes more sense to me than someone going inside and restoring from the inside out. Shout out cent a millionaire who will not be named. I don't know his name, but I didn't think it was necessary.
Speaker 1: No, I'm excited to We need some long term results.
Speaker 2: I don't think we do, though, because realistically like long term results for what, like do you think?
Speaker 1: I just feel like I want to see if he looks young. I want to see if he's getting older.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I feel like everyone who, like, let's say, gets like preventative botox. Like, by the time you get to the age you are fifty, you look like the age you are, So like, let's do something extreme. Let's get the money. Yeah, let's make it worth it.
Speaker 1: Oka flex and Fromes.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Flex and Frooms, What the.
Speaker 1: Frick as you know, I was in Bali last year and I did almost round certified. Fact, it was very scary.
Speaker 2: Is it only drowning if you don't make it out at the end, Like, isn't what you experienced drowning just without the death.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about this the other day. I think you can start drowning or almost drowned, you know what I think. If you're almost dround, you didn't take any war. But if you drowned and you were revived, you've actually gulped water and you're unconscious.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's update Oxford Dictionary to be sure.
Speaker 1: Oxford. I read this opinion piece last week that really stuck with me. So this is the best advice about if you see somebody drowning the water, what you should do. Fifty one people have data already in Australia over summer, so this is serious. The first thing you do is you call out swimmer in trouble to everybody on the beach. I witness someone drowning once and you'll be so surprised that no one on the beach notices one person screaming going excuse me, excuse me, Like even if.
Speaker 2: We backtrack right as I don't really go to the beach off, and if I did go, I don't feel like I would notice if something was out of the ordinary, because the way people enjoy themselves in the water looks very like haphazard to me. There are arms everywhere, there's yelling all the time, vibes are up, so like, I feel like already, how I even meant to know if someone's drowning without like meeting a lifeguard exactly.
Speaker 1: That's why I need to scream. Swimmer in trouble, swim.
Speaker 2: With me. Okay, let's just like, let's just say I like, I can tell that they're in trouble. Now what swimmer in trouble. Swimmer in trouble.
Speaker 1: Call Triple zero immediately, even if they're in the water, call them so they're coming down already, because what often happens is you get something out of the water, then you're waiting for the paramedics and the defibrillator and stuff. Before you get into the water, think about options. You need to be calm before you enter the water. I know it happens quickly, but you can't just go straight in.
Speaker 2: This sounds like some do as I say, not as I do. Type of advice because I just feel like when the girls are gearing up for a day at Close Belly, you know they've got their little holiday the label towel, you know, saying their little bucket hat.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to like put myself in the mind state of potentially one seeing someone drown, pointing them out, calling triple zero. This feels like really well, and but I'm like, I don't. It's like stop, stop, drop and roll. I will never do it in an emergency because it's not front of mine. What I can remembered though, is when you fall, don't put your arms out. That stuck with me. Why because if you use your arms to shield your full you're gonna snap your elbows. Babes, babe, Sorry, let's continue.
Speaker 1: Okay, do not go into the water if you've had a bit to drink. That's important.
Speaker 2: Talk to your community because from what I know about about Australians in the beach, there's a little something going, a little tipple. Is that what you guys call it.
Speaker 1: That's not on me. You should throw something in the water before you throw yourself out so you can grab something. Rescuers do that. Obviously. It's hard to like throw a boogie board in with a like a rope, So just throw anything flammable. Sorry, what it says to throw something in the water to rescue them, So I would immediately think of like, oh.
Speaker 2: Like a civilian rescuing someone else.
Speaker 1: This is all about civilians trying to rescue someone else. Yeah, this is what happens. If you're on the beach and you witness it happening, throw something in. Okay. In my mind it'd be like I should only throw something in if it's got a card for me to pull the person out. But no, if they're in a rip, throw anything floaty into the rip and it should hopefully go out.
Speaker 2: What if some floaty examples a ring?
Speaker 1: A what else?
Speaker 2: A ring?
Speaker 1: There's gotta be something floating on the beach.
Speaker 2: They're dying. I'm so sorry. No, don't drown around me.
Speaker 1: So my main tips are, if you see someone in trouble, go swimmer in trouble. Next step, call triple zero. Even if it doesn't look serious, These things happen in a instant. And finally, if it doesn't look serious, I swear if someone is starting to look a bit funny and.
Speaker 2: Someone call triple zero and she's like babies. I'm cool. No, no, no, no, I read the article. Frooms did say, even it doesn't look serious.
Speaker 1: You know I'm serious for them. I saw someone the other day in South Bondine. I thought, and I waited. I didn't leave until I saw them get back in because I thought, I've seen this appum before. And finally, throw something buoyant in the water. Don't go in first, try and get it where the rip is. Also Google what does a rip look like? It's where the water isn't breaking, It's where the water is flat. Education, Please be safe. See you between the flags. And I mean that.
Speaker 2: Flex and Frooms they're the best. What don't you from me? Are you a gamer?
Speaker 1: No? Sims? Sims?
Speaker 2: Okay, so no, I'm kidding. I do love Simps. I'm getting riled up today, but I guess a lot of things have pissed me off. Number one, I've got beef with the whole gaming community, mostly the manufacturers of games. I understand that, stereotypically speaking, gaming is a very male dominated space. Right, men and they're shooting things, and they're fighting things, and they're like they're nerds and they get whatever. The fact of the matter is we're in the year twenty twenty three, and for me personally, I know just as many women as I do men who enjoy gaming. What I'm finding, though, is that even though we don't want to gender games, I'm seeing that games are skewed to be unnecessarily mask and violent unnecessarily. Over the weekend, I was trying to find a gameplay. I've got a PS five. It took me so long to source it alone. By it it was like the very very difficult, very very difficult. Now I've got it, I can barely use it because they're just odd enough games that interest me. I don't have niche tastes. All I want is to play a game where don't have to shoot someone, kill someone, attack someone, violate someone, just chill. My only options if I don't want to play those games is farming and cooking.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've played every farming game and they're all the same, no innovation, you know. And I look at some of these like really violent, like shooting games, and I'm like, very interesting, graphics are really beautiful, there's innovation in the weapons and the skins and all of those. And then you bring me to the farming side and it's still these like little baby characters and like we'reen making cameras and I'm like, hey, look at who the games are made for ages four and up? Bass if you don't give me an adult game asat And I'm thinking, I can imagine when industries are thinking about, you know, how are we going to make money in the next financial year, you look at groups of people that are up and coming sections of society that are under resource and undervalued, and you say, you know what, let's go target them. What are we doing for chick gamers who don't want to fight?
Speaker 1: I know, I was just thinking while you're speaking, how good would a game be where it's like the same graphics and the same kind of levels as one of those fighty games, but you like fight through talking to them and you have to like choose what I want to say and then like that will get level you up.
Speaker 2: It's like yeah, and they have like story games with so two D it's like click a button, click Now. I want to walk around, move my little body, buy a little skins. I want to like make food from scratch to fuel myself, and then I want to get into like a psychological warf bear discussion with the cap dri I don't know, but I just know it feels like a really specific and targeted dismissal. I feel like they don't want girls to play games hot literally anyway. Shout out to my PS five. There's a new Harry Potter game coming out feb tenth.
Speaker 1: Is that violent?
Speaker 2: I don't think it will be. You'll definitely like cast spells and stuff you do magic, for sure, but it's not gonna be like So that's like one of the few things that's like really exciting me about.
Speaker 1: Life very quickly. Have you seen the GTA, like the Fight the Last GTA? Keep seeing these clips on TikTok of like you throw one of the women down a massive down, a massive slide in the sky and they fall. It's like super realistic but also weird.
Speaker 2: And so you throw one of the women.
Speaker 1: Now you can throw it. You can throw yourself too, and it's like it's just so weird. Equal opportunity slide throw Shut up. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast. For more, tune Indicater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.