Speaker 1: What do you eat when you go to the pub?
Speaker 2: A steak, maybe you opt for a snitty, or maybe you try and be healthy and order the salad whether you feel like it or not. On today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we deep dive pub meals and share how to manage it as a weekly indulgence for many Hi, I'm Susie Burrow and I'm Leon Wood, and together we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the weekly podcast that gets you up to date with everything you need to know in the world of nutrition, as well as all things eating at the pub. We take a closer look at the new high protein range at Subway, We deep dive a healthy chocolate treat that we've got some thoughts about, and our listener questions is all about a cheeky, sugary weekly indulgence, so leanne. I know that with the cost of food at an all time high, if we're thinking about going out for dinner, whether it's with friends or with the family, I certainly have been steering towards pubs.
Speaker 1: Not because I a pub.
Speaker 2: You know, I love going to a gorgeous restaurant, and certainly when you come to visit or vice versa, we like to indulge ourselves and go to some restaurants that are high on our list. A shout out to Blackwood at Bondy for brunch if anyone's in the area. Outstanding. But of course you're going to dump probably well over one hundred dollars for two if not closer to two hundreds, So it's certainly and that is leanne Let's be honest, what we can spend to feed several meals for the family, So it's a reasonable thing to be considering. So I know my mum and dad, for example, were very keen to go to a local pub because they had eighteen dollars specials on the other night, and that included a burger schnitzel and also a steak, which everyone ordered because as retirees they find that much more cost effective. You know, if I buy steak for the family, it's thirty forty dollars minimum, and my boys are getting older they eat a lot more, so you can see how perhaps it can be a very smart choice. But of course, traditionally pub meals are not overly healthy in the sense they generally are very large portions. Many of the options are deep fried, and you get the typical chips every time with everything that you order, so I thought it was time. My husband actually suggested we do this given it was coming into Sunday roast season as well, because over a long weekend when we're recording this, a lot of people will head to the pub for Sunday roasts. So I thought, yeah, it was a good time to have a little chat about it, because the last thing we want to do is make people feel guilty if they're trying to be budget conscious going to the pub. But I also don't want my clients in particular to feel like they need to always eat a salad, because I find salads at the pub can be just as expensive as a main meal. You know, you're paying eighteen twenty twenty five dollars by the time you add the prawns or chicken or meat to.
Speaker 1: A salad and ultimately land.
Speaker 2: They sometimes aren't that healthy because their chicken caes are or their rice noodle based, or they're vegetarian but really heavy and things like sweet potato chickpeas for laffl So they end up being a cub super high load anyway, and if you don't actually feel like eating a salad, in my experience, you keep eating the fries anyway, Sometimes you are better to order what you feel like and do it that way. So I'll kick off with a few strategies because I really feel it's important if you're treating yourself to a meal out you do kind of order what you feel like. One thing I've been doing a lot more with my girlfriends is because the meals are so large, I often will split slit something because if it's a burger or if it's a snitsel, it easily feeds to small women. And even if you don't think, if you think you're really hungry, even if you still order the half, you'll find you quite satisfied after it. So I think that can be a very effective strategy. So you still get a taste of the schnitzel or the burger, and then I try and always take the fries off the plate. I'll try and order extra salad if I can, but I find that a very good strategy. I think red meat, if you eat red meat, is a great choice of the pub because often we're not cooking ourselves a steak at home. So if you do again order the steak and can say vegetables, and I always check the vegetables, because sometimes they'll just be potatoes and carrot or something quite plain. If it's greens, I'll invest in it. So if it's the broccoli, beans, carrots, that kind of mix, I'm more likely to order it, but I'll ask for the salad and veggies if I can can avoid the potato on the plate, because I will definitely eat it and probably don't need to if I'm already having a Schitzel or big burger or steak. But if you do order that meal, if you are aiming for protein, whether it's the steak or the schitzel, again, if it's just for you, I'd find if you cut half way off, you can often get two meals out of it and take it home and use it for wraps or salad the next day.
Speaker 1: So it just splits it.
Speaker 2: So instead of having an eight hundred calorie meal, you're only having a four or five hundred calorie one, but you're getting your money's worth out of it and still getting some decent nutrition. If you're choosing to pay, I'd rather someone pay for fish or steak or chicken than eating a salad that's not overly satisfying. So They're my kind of defaults, or I would say to clients if this is a once a week or once a month eat as such. I've got a lot of rural people who might only go to the pub occasionally, you know, and you want to have the prom pasta, go for it, you know. Just keep in mind it is quite a big meal and you probably can take some home and get two serves. I will always order a veggie side and cut that through any pasta to get the veggie bulk of the meal. But yeah, they're probably some of the strategies I use myself. I don't necessarily recommend the salad, which I think some people would say.
Speaker 1: And if it's a.
Speaker 2: Remote pub not close to the water, I generally wouldn't order seafood either. So if you're in table like in the middle of nowhere, there's no water, I'm not ordering barramundi or salmon. I'd wait to year on coastal regions for that, and probably stick more to the red meat and stick to a leaner steak if you can.
Speaker 3: And port can be a really nice lean option as well if you're not into sort of more of that red red meat. But the RSLs are also talking about budget friendly meals. My parents love a good RSL that's also really nice and friendly. Yeah, yeah, they often do like a lunch Honestly, sometimes my parents will go down for like a week day lunch and it's like I think Mum said, it's like fifteen sixteen dollars or something, and often, you know, they might do a twenty dollars with a coffee. And so my parents are big fans of of an RSL as well.
Speaker 1: So both of those options are really good.
Speaker 3: I like them because I've got small children and I find it there's less pressure. David and I rarely, if ever, maybe once a year, got to a nice restaurant by ourselves, and we definitely don't take the kids because it's just it's so embarrassing. They're so small, they run around everywhere. So I like that there's less pressure and you can take the kids and if they're you know, a little bit feral, it's not too bad. But in terms of what I get my clients to focus on, like you said, sometimes those heavier dishes, like a really nice pasta, if I'm getting a client to only have half of that and top it up with the side of save broccolini or something. What I will do in terms of really trying to prioritize that protein is get them to eat half but all of the protein. So say it's a beautiful prawn pasta or a chicken pasta, so eat all of the protein, but only half the sauce and the carp and then buffer that with extra green veggies, and then if you want to take it home, you can just simply add a tiner tuna or a bit of extra shredded chicken breast to it the next day, and a bit of extra veggies at home, and you've got a really nice base and you can get two meals out of it, not one. So that can be a really chiky hack, but don't forget. When you are halving meals, you're often harving the protein size as well. So if you are actively in a calorie deficit, you're training hard. Your goal is to gain some muscle mass, and obviously if you eat out regularly when you have a meal, you're also harving the protein size, so just be wary of that. If you rarely ever eat out, it's not really a big deal. I'd say eat until you're satisfied and not stuffed. Is generally my golden rule, but I do like my clients to prioritize seafood at a pub because it is very, very lean. But like Susie said, you know, potentially the area that you're eating at may matter, because obviously you're going to get better, fresher seafood if you are somewhere near the water, one would hope. And then a salad and veggie one is really really tricky because often at a pub, if you are getting say the rest of the day, often you'll get potato soup, potato, pumpkin, and corn and they are all quite you know, starchy focused vegetables. So, as Susie said, if you want to pay the extra sometimes ten fifteen, eighteen dollars for a side of veggie, you want it to be good quality. You don't just want to get a mix of peas and corn and carrot and pay all of that money. So it is well worth asking what type of extra veggies they're serving, or if it says seasonal veggie on the menu, what type is that? And then often sometimes you'll get a side of vegetables, but it'll be drowned in ricotta, or I got a rocket a side of rocket at an Italian place the other day, and it was absolutely drenched in olive oil, and then it was drowned in parmesan ch Like, there was more oliveil and parmesan than there were greens in that eighteen dollar side of green. So that was my bad. I forgot to ask. But often I'll say, you know what other greens?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 1: With cheese? Can I remove that?
Speaker 3: If I am having it with something like a pizza, because honestly, you just don't need that extra calorie bulk if you are using that to sort of buffer or lighten up a higher calorie meal.
Speaker 2: True, And I think if we're talking about portion sizes, so I would say on average, the steaks tend to be at least two hundred and fifty grams, if not closer to three three fifty. The same with the shnitty like you're not getting one hundred gram schnitz l, you're getting two hundred and two fifty three hundred. So just keep that in mind and agree, you know, eat to you're satisfied. But if you are, if you love a Schitzel, for example, you're getting the car from that. As I said, try and ditch the chips because you're getting that more indulgence there already, and have it with the salad. But if it's more of that special occasion where it's a very occasional and you feel like the heavier option, I think when you go to the wood fire pizza, it can be tricky, and I think again, try and order the sides of veggies or salad to complement the meal if you can. And probably the other thing if you can avoid it, the stuff that doesn't have a huge amount of nutritive value, and stuff I would argue is filler food, but I know we love it, but things like the Aarantina balls, the spring rolls, the deep fried salt and pepper squid like it really does have huge amounts of fat and unfortunately in restaurants and pubs that don't use the best quality oil simply because it's expensive. So that is adding a lot of extra fat and calories and can be more calories than a whole meal you've had with starters and picking before you've even had the meal. So if you can minimize that or you know have it, you know, one entree of that kind of food between four or six people have a small amount of it. That's always going to be better, whereas things like I love a muscle pot. If there's muscles, I will always order that. The tomato salad can be a really good option, the rocket salad lately and said, if it's not too drizzled in concentrated extras. The grilled type calamari can be a good option, the rice paper rolls if they have then what are some other healthy antipasto things like scollops, prons, any sort of raw fish like sashimi can always be a really good option, like a kingfish crudo. Anything I think is like that lighter and it's flavored with a lot of those beautiful flavors that you often get with something like a sashimi or a kingfish crudo. You get it with a bit of citrus or a tiredy bit of mis The flavoring is a lot lighter than, say, if you did get a deep rid calamari, which would come with a side of say aoli or something. So I love a seafood focus as like an entree or like you said, zuzi. Often depending on the place that you go, you know you might be able to get some grilled prawns and avocado you might be able to get a prescido and I don't know, rocket or a rock melon sort of entree as well. Anything with a bit of extra fresh food in it from an entre perspective, i e. Not the garlic bread, not the aaranginie bulls is often your best bet if you are trying to lighten the load, if it's a special occasion, if you're very healthy with your weight. These obviously these strategies don't matter as much. We're really actively targeting women who are trying to drop some body fat and really try to bring down the overall calorie load because often, you know, at a pub, we do like to have a couple of cheeky drinks as well, we do like to sometimes share a dessert, We do like to have the entrees, and all of those things sadly do add up. If you are eating out, you know, more than probably once a week or so, and if it is more of an occasional or sorry, I should say, if you're actually going out a lot, you are better than to have the barrel mundy and the green veggies absolutely, you know, and steer clear of the fried food options. If it's more of a regular weeknight of occurrence for you because you go to trivia every week as opposed to a special occasion meal with friends and family. All right, Lenne, you've sent me something in the week that my tail started wagging because I do love subway.
Speaker 3: Me too.
Speaker 2: Now, we love subway, and the reason I love subway is that it's cost effective. It is easily accessible, Like we stopped on the way home from Rugby the other day and got one instead of the bacon and egg roll at sports or the macas. I like a few things there, but I've also got some criticisms. So the first thing I'll launch out with is that I love their seven dollars six inch subway range, but it's actually incredibly difficult to navigate the subway website. So they have a lot of claims about high protein foods, which Land's going to cover in a minute, and budget friendly options, but you can literally not find the nutritional information unless you've got a nutrition degree and can scroll, and certainly almost impossible on your phone. So the seven dollar range, they have six or seven subways for seven dollars, but it's not all of them, so it's like Chuna Mao veggie Delight turkey on rye, some weird seafood thing, and then barbecue Southern style chicken. So they're not all healthy because the one from that I would say is probably the best is the turkey on rye. So the seven dollar one is sort of specific in terms of nutritionals I myself like the plain chicken and chicken teriarchy is pretty light on for a six inch of course, but that's about ten dollars, so that's not in the seven dollar range. But what we actually want to talk about today was I've noticed this too. There are some massive slogans Subway are advertising called the packed with Protein range, and if you've got el Janna near your house as well, you'll notice they're doing it as well. And the el Janna PR team sent me a media release with a forty six grams of protein rap and when I wrote back and said, but how many calories is that? And it came back at eight hundred, I pointed out to her it wasn't healthy. It was double the lunch size most women should be having. So we wanted to talk about it today because I think Subway are really being a little bit naughty, almost deeply misleading with their claims of their packed with protein range. Because then when you deep dived that nutritional information sheet, what did we find the reality is about the subway high protein range.
Speaker 1: Well, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Pretty, and as dietitians, we intuitively knew this. And I got my tail wagging like you, and I sent you this and I said, this is so misleading, and you were like, absolutely, we have to discuss this, because both you and I love a good subway. If I could afford it, I would buy shares in a subway, like I spent that much time there. I recommend it to that many clients. I feel like I should be getting a kickback at this stage.
Speaker 1: You should be definitely getting a kick I agree.
Speaker 3: You and I often will eat a good chicky subway together occasionally if we're traveling. Certainly we've been late for our own retreat because we stopped at subway for lunch one.
Speaker 1: Time we had to get where we started.
Speaker 3: But the one that I sent you was the chicken protein subway foot long. So it came up as an ad while I was just casually scrolling news dot com one day. Then I saw it again on Facebook there, but they're retargeting working very well. From a metads perspective, and it had a big label across it saying fifty four grams of protein and it was a foot long, granted, and I was like, hmm, that's a lot of food and that's a lot of protein.
Speaker 1: Well my first two thoughts.
Speaker 3: But I think that we live in this world where protein is like a health halo. Is it important? Absolutely? Can you eat too much protein? Absolutely? And with more protein comes more calories. We need to be aware of that. So when I deep dive the nutritionals on this chicken protein foot long, it was also dripping with some sort of creamy I think it was like an a only dressing.
Speaker 1: It had cheese on it.
Speaker 3: And then it had the chicken and everything as well, so it was coming in it three thousand, eight hundred and forty Kilogele SUSI all for those ones who like calories, like myself, over nine hundred calories for that lunch with the fifty four grams of protein. But both Susan and I would argue that women, irrespective of whether they're trying to lose weight or not, do not need fifty four grams of protein and a meal. You could split that across two meals and still be very happy. So higher protein is important, but for a lot of women, you know, per meal, twenty five thirty grams is more than enough. So when you if you and a lot of people would say, well, I don't need a foot long, I agree, like six inch for most women is probably more than enough. If you're super active, maybe the foot long, but I think for the average woman who works a desk job or doesn't do a whole lot of exercise, six inch is probably enough. And even that clock's in at four sixty calories and twenty seven grams of protein, So I would say that that is a much better nutrition option than the whole foot long and even twenty seven grams of protein for a quick, fairly budget, friendly, on the go option that you can access, you know through airports that like this is subway in my local Maruka where I live in Queensland, Like they're just everywhere, right, so they're really really accessible. So about four hundred and fifty calories twenty seven grams of protein, and that's pretty tasty. That's an awesome option. Whereas when I looked at the protein option in the wrap, and I have so many clients or say I listened to you on Suzi on the podcast. I know subways are good options, so where go when I get the wrap?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: I'd actually rather you have the bread because I think there's this perception that wraps are healthier because they're somewhat lighter. But the subway uses these massive white wraps. So the wrap in the chicken protein option SUSI is basically three thousand kilodueles or seven hundred calories, So you are far better off having the six inch bread option than the rap. And I think a lot of people just have this perception that the wrap is healthier, but in the case of subway, the wraps are often not healthier than the six inch raine. And then if you wanted to look at the salad option, that clocks in at about four hundred and seventy calories with a similar amount of protein. So if I was saying to my client, you've got very similar calories and protein between the six inch protein chicken one or the salad, what do you prefer, not out of ten of my clients would say, oh, well, I want the bread with that, and I would agree because I actually want my clients like you do. Susie eating some carbohydrate but in a controlled portion, and a six inch sub for most people is a good amount of carbohydrate, whereas the salads don't really have much in there at all, but they do have often more facts, more dressing, a bit of cheese, that kind of thing to bulk out the bowl. So yes, you might get a bit more volume with a bit more salad, but we actually want people to eat some carbohydrate as well. We just for most women trying to lose weight, they don't need as much carbohydrate that a foot long contains. So it's very interesting. It's also very difficult to find the nutrition. I had to go and I actually had to download the pdf, get out my microscope, scroll through, and this new protein range, of course, isn't on the nutrition Kandel whatsoever. So I had to go into subway website, put in my area code, actually look to buy it, add it to my cart at all the separate ingredients before it actually spat out the nutritional So I was like, I hope our nutrition couch audience appreciates this, but it's very difficult to find, and I do feel like companies they don't hide it, but they make it difficult to find. So they'll happily put fifty four grams of protein on the advertisement that I'm seeing online. But they're not going to write nine hundred and fifteen calories, are they. No, they keep that one to themselves.
Speaker 1: Arms enraged as you are. Land.
Speaker 2: The only one I can find that actually comes in at fifty is the chicken and bacon ranch rap. Now, I don't like the raps at Subway because I think that the bread, if you get the whole weed or the rise better nutritionally, it's more filling, it's less process than a rap, and I think it's a better option. So and certainly we wouldn't be recommending you eat the bacon ranch option for over three thousand calories just to get the protein. So that is another reason it's deeply misleading. The other thing I noticed is their salad range, and they're plugging that quite heavily as well. Now they've got some quite plain salads, like just sort of the greens in quite a small container, and some of those come in at about twenty grams of protein and certainly less than three hundred, so very light. But again, I wouldn't actually want my clients to be having that because I don't think they're full. If you had a two three hundred calorie salad for lunch, you're going to be eating a chocolate bar an hour later. So sometimes you better to actually eat the proper food, like the Subway, in a leaner variety. The turkey, I think the tune is not too bad the hams process meat, but I think the chicken tariarchy is particularly lean as well, and have that and enjoy it with the bread rather than having a wrap or the salad and then being hungry an hour or two later. But I agree with you. I think they need a lot of work on that website. You can't track the nutritionals easily. You can't be claiming fifty grams of protein for two meals because really a foot long sub for women is two meals. So that's misleading and I'm not happy at all with it. I think that they're trying to write off a protein tag as Eljada are and it's irresponsible.
Speaker 1: So Subway, you've got good products.
Speaker 2: You can do better with it Land and I'm very happy to help you if you want to take us on as consultants with a discount card for our subway. And now you know there's one thing that annoys me more than misleading food. It is the healthy.
Speaker 1: Masquerade annoys us.
Speaker 2: And you're going to take us through one of these products, because again, if you go to the musleibar section at supermarkets, there are seven hundred different high protein bars. Some are healthier than others. Some have got a deep chalk coating and some have got a choc dizsel. Some marketed as low carb, others are marketed as high protein, and so then some sleep in under an indulgence tag. And when you take a look at the nutritionals, I have major issues because I find them deeply misleading. And I want you to take us through one of the products, but we could take any number. This is one brand, but definitely any bar you pick up that has a chocolate coating, if you read the first ingredient this chocolate, it is more like a chocolate bar than a health bar. That's my first point. And what I want us to start looking at is how much saturated fat you're getting from these bars. So Land will talk as student nutritionals, and then I'll pipe in when I can't control myself any longer.
Speaker 3: And I will say that Susie and I have just been trying a few bars out of curiosity because there are so many on the market these days it's hard to know which ones are good or bad. And between both of our client loads and our clinics, you know, clients are eating probably upwards of fifty to one hundred different types. So we've been looking at bars a lot lately. And one of the ones you and I tried was a brand that heavily markets at pregnant and breastfeeding women. And the first thing when we both said when we tried it, We're like, oh, that's delicious, and we were like, cheez that chocolate. It was coated in chocolate. We're like, jeez, that's thick. And you were like, this is a treat, Like this is this is a chocolate bar. It is certainly healthier than a chocolate bar. But this is absolutely a treat, not an every day or multiple times a day occurrence, which I think a lot of women are eating it at. So this is someone you set me. So it is that coals. It's the idi bronounced is it?
Speaker 1: No shoe?
Speaker 3: Low carb choc mint indulgence bars. They come in a pack of five, they're eight ninety and at the moment at the time of recording their own sale for six nineties, so there's still you know, a dollar something a bar. And on the front of packet marketing it, there's only two grams of sugar naturally sweetened in four grams of carb perserve. So they're definitely obviously marketed at that low carb crowd. And when you look at the ingredient list, I mean it's quite long. I mean most bars have a longer ingredient list because there's multiple ingredients that make that up. However, you know, you've actually got to read the ingredient. You can't just be looking at the nutrition information panel and say, hey, it's low calories like sugar, this must be a good type of bar, because you certainly can't have one without the other. You have to look at the nutrition information panel and you cannot bypass the ingredient list. So the first ingredient is dark chocolate. Basically, there's a dark chocolate coating. So as Susie said, that's the first ingredient. This is acting more like a chocolate bar than it is a health bar. So the first ingredient is dark chocolate coating, and within that dark chocolate, the ingredients are vegetable fat, arethra told, cocoa solids, inulin, milk solids, maltodextion, polydextros, corn fiber, soi lethercen, and natural flavors. If you're someone with IBS or a sensitive tummy, you're gonna have issues with this bar. I could not eat something like that just due to the fact that it's got the inulin and all of the other different types of fibers in there already. Now, the next ingredient is polydextrose, followed by a vegetable fat, followed by biscuit pieces at nine percent. You've got in the biscuit pieces wheat flour, cornola oil, s gross malt extract, glucose raising agent, xylotols, subatol, milk solids, pea protein isolate, vegetable glycerine, coca powder, modified starch, and an emulsifier. We've also got soy lethace and another emulsifier, non dairy cream and natural flavors, salt, monk, fruit extract, steavier and mint extract being our last ingredient. There are not many ingredients susy on that ingredient list that I would have at home in my kitchen. And what I classify what I tell my clients a whole food product or what we can you know, basically class as a better option in the supermarket. Are lots of ingredients that we naturally recognize and have in our own pantry or cupboards or fridge at home. There are so many ingredients in there that this company is using to make up a bar to make the nutritionals match what the public I guess want and what we have been taught is healthy. But we're doing it in a way where to me, there's nothing really natural about this bar despite having this health talo effect that is, at a natural I guess, lower carb indulgence bar, there aren't many things in there that I would technically classify as natural. So I'll go through the nutrition information panel. So this five bars in the box.
Speaker 1: Each bar is.
Speaker 3: Thirty grams so per serving nearly five hundred kilodules, which is about one hundred and sixteen calories, so quite low calorie for you know, a kind of chocolate indulgent bar. Three point seven grams of protein, six point six grams of fat total, with five point nine grams of that being saturated fat. That is basically twenty percent saturated fat in the bars. I'll let your pipe in a minute, but I'll just round off the carb is four point four grams, sugar two point two, dietary fiber is six point three grams. But a lot of that dietary fiber isn't coming from the whole food sources that we want, like you know, the whole grains, oats, nuts and seeds, legumes. It's coming from what I call kind of modified fiber sources. And forty five milligrams of sodium, which is very very low, not a concern so to me. It's the ingredient list, and it's the saturated fat in total, which I'm sure that you have many thoughts about, because if there's one of many things that irritate you, it's saturated fat, isn't it, Susie.
Speaker 2: Well, it's saturated fat in a bar that is being marketed as somewhat healthy because it's lowering car Because whilst some of the claims around saturated fat and heart disease have been somewhat refuted, with people saying, oh, a small amount of saturated fat doesn't increase the risk of heart disease, I tend to disagree when it's in processed food and I think this is the problem with the bars because generally speaking, a strands get more than enough saturated fat from foods like their dairy, they're lean meat, their chicken, cheese, you know, the foods that do have a lot of nutritional value. So then when we're getting multiple grams are saturated fat. I think that one we looked at together was eight or nine grams are saturated fat in the time, and it was tiny bar. It was forty grams or twenty actually maybe twenty or thirty grams.
Speaker 1: It was twenty five. Yeah, you could eat in two bites.
Speaker 2: As an amount. If you're looking, we wouldn't want more than thirty percent of total intake to be coming from saturated fat. So if you're working on a female, say having sixty grams of fat a day, which is a pretty low fat diet, that in terms of thirty thirty thirty fat ratios for cell assimilation, that would translate into no more than about twenty grams are saturated fat per day, which you will easily get from your regular foods, like you get a little bit from olive oil if you're having some red meat, if you're having a serve of cheese. So When I see a bar that's offering six eight ten grams in a small bar mask that's claiming to be healthy, I'm like, that is deeply misleading. So I think the first take co message for our listeners is if you see on a snack by the first ingredients chocolate, put it back.
Speaker 1: It's not healthy for you.
Speaker 2: You need to be looking for a whole food bar that's got a nutbase that's going to be much better nutritionally than a bar with chocolate, because, for example, this is per hundred grams almost twenty percent saturated fat, almost twenty grams per hundred and per bar, it's almost six So that's a third of your entire daily recommended upper intake of saturated fat coming from a relatively small thirty gram, one hundred calorie snack that's basically covered in chocolate. And there's one in the range that's worse. That's cherry that's even higher because coconut, of course offer saturated fat. Now I have noticed that some of the brands, So for example, I looked at the Maver's range because Mavers are doing more chokcoating, there's a bit much lower. They're not low in saturated fat. But I thought they were about five percent. And the bars come in at less than three grams of saturated pat per bar, so they're doing it in a slightly better way. So that's another reference. If you can get per serve less than three of saturated fat, that's not too bad. But I would still generally prefer a bar that didn't come coated in chocolate at all. So I think a little drizzle you can get away with as soon as it's choclated. It's a chocolate bar, and don't kid yourself that it's not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you want chocolate, just go eat some chocolate, like get the real dealing to me, I'd be much more satisfied from having a link ball or two and actually feel genuinely satisfied and just be able to move on with my day and not think about it. Whereas the reality is that a lot of our clients, Susie, are having these type of I don't know, indulgent health halo type bars and eating one or two a day and then still bringing on the block of chocolate at night after dinner anyway, because they're actually not satisfied. So I've always had that big belief that if you want something, have the thing you actually want in a small portion, be mindful, measure it out, sit down and thoroughly enjoy it, and then.
Speaker 1: Just move on.
Speaker 3: Like call it a soul food like this is to me, I guess like they are calling it an indulgence bar, so they're not trying to say it's healthy healthy, But I think again, like do you prefer that or do you prefer some actual chocolate or some actual ice cream? Because the real is that if you stick to a good quality portion size, the nutritionals are pretty similar, and if you have a couple of extra grams of carb in something, it's not the end of the world.
Speaker 1: Like women actually need carbohydrate.
Speaker 3: We don't need every single food that we eat being low carb because we're going to have a lot more problems than if we were eating carbohydrate anyway. So we want carb, but it's just more of that controlled amount throughout the day. That is probably an area for a bigger discussion another day.
Speaker 2: Too true, And I just had to look at a limp ball has five grams saturated fat per ball, so that's actually less than this chocolate treat. So just be aware. You know it seems like chocolate, it probably is. And that's the case with a lot of protein bars. We were looking at another very well known brand and it had like in the Actually, I looked at a protein cookie a client had the other day and it had fifteen It was being marketed as fifteen grams of protein per cookie, but it was three hundred and fifty calories.
Speaker 1: It was a real you know. So I think you know, in particularly in that health.
Speaker 2: Food section where there's the higher protein chocolate flavored stuff that our cookie flavored chocolate chip cookie coated in chocolate, they're probably more like chocolate bars than natural protein bars, because the truth is land protein bars don't usually taste that great if they're nutritionally sound, because they're pretty processed in protein on its own and taste so good. So yep, if it looks like a chocolate bar, it probably is all right. Moving on from one level of indulgence to another. A listener question from a client of mind who said to me in passing, as clients often do when they're throwing in something just to keep it interesting, said so, and I just am checking it's okay that I have my mini coke a few times a week as a treat. And she said it's the minis. It's the real minis. And I said, oh, okay, I love it. She said, I don't have it very often. I said, well you can't have the zero. No, she doesn't want to have the zero?
Speaker 1: Is it okay?
Speaker 2: And I said, well, you know, we would our line as dieticians. Is there anything's kind of okay occasionally? But I wouldn't say a cheeky soft drink, even a mini can three weeks occasionally. And so as a reference point, a Buddy bottle of coke has got about thirteen teaspoons of sugar, A can has about nine, and a mini can then would have about four to five about two hundred mile. So I would say to my client listening, I want you to get five teaspoons of sugar and put it in a glass and see if you drink that, because that's ultimately what you're drinking. Because everything is a choice in life. You know, a good girlfriend of mine was drinking a Buddy bottle of coke yesterday at a kid's performance, and it took every amount of my control to not say something, but you know, it's to their own. Would I drink a glass of five teaspoons of sugar?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't do. I be quite strict with my kids doing it. Yes, I am, I really. If they're having it, I'll try and get them to do the zero and if they're even getting a slushy, I'll try and find the one when they've got a zero one. Do they have it occasionally, yes, they do, so I think the issue with sugary drinks and lollies is there's nothing positive nutritionally in them.
Speaker 1: It's just pure. It's not good for us. It's a complete overload.
Speaker 2: If you're a teenage basketball player or you know, been out doing a massive hike and had it occasionally, sure, but two or three times a week is not occasionally. That's a habit. So I think basically my stance is the less sugary drink you have ever, the better. And if you are happy with your weight and not wright about your dental health and love it that much, sure, but I wouldn't be recommending it nutritionally, even particularly if it's more than once a week. I think once a week for that kind of thing, it'd be what I'd say, sure, But once it's more than that, it's easy because the more you have of that sweet food, the more you want and it's just five tea spoons of sugar and a glass, So that's basically what you're drinking, and you've got to decide if that's the right choice for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I definitely agree with everything you've said, But I also I would say to someone saying that to me, does it align with your goals and does it fit in with the rest of your diet, because if it does, I wouldn't have a problem with a client doing that. But I think for most people, they're not just having one or two treats a week, right. They're having they want the wines Friday and Saturday night. They want to go out once or twice a week. They want to have, you know, take the kids out for ice cream every weekend. They want to have a little bit of the work morning tea every Tuesday or Wednesday. Like, these treats slip in far more than what we realize. But if it was someone who you know, does a lot of exercise, their diet's really good. They don't They're not really a chocolate person. They rarely ever eat out, they don't drink alcohol, and they want to have a mini little can of coke a couple of times a week. I personally wouldn't have a problem with that, but I do think it comes back to what is your baseline diet, and every single one of us is going to be highly variable in terms of that response. So I think it's a better question for what else are you having that are considered treats in your.
Speaker 1: Diet, and what are your goals?
Speaker 3: And if it aligns with your goals and you know the bulk of obviously it's the amount of sugar that we're having every single day or every single week that's going to make the real impact here. And if the rest of your diet is incredibly low, to me, I wouldn't really have, you know, a problem with it. I would sort of classify that as your soul food a couple of times a week, which I wouldn't have a problem with. But I do think it comes down to what else is creeping into the diet, which we know for a lot of people it's never just one or two things. It's often quite a lot of things. When we really take a step back, and I'm totally honest with ourselves, So I think it's just a good one to sort of inwardly reflect on or even keep a food diary for a couple of weeks, and an accurate food diary, I'll say, and you will be actually surprised at the little things that creep in, because even Susie and I, you know, it's hard to say no when things are about we're socializing, we're off at a kid's party, we're caught out and you know, someone does a social thing and we weren't really prepared for it. It is really hard to keep on track, and all of these little things do slip in. So I don't think it's a simple black or white answer from my perspective, just a little bit of something more to think on.
Speaker 4: I would say, true, true, true, true. So I've coaxed you think go for it occasionally, all right. An that brings us to the end of the initiation caps for another week. Please keep telling your friends about us so we can continue to grow, and if you need some evidence based supplementation in your life, check out our website designed by Dietitians dot com and we will see you next Wednesday for our weekly episode drop.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: The stamps Some Man Steps