Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Outspoken. It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Kate Torbert and coming up on today's show, Sammy Robinson is the latest influencer to secure her dream home and the food talk recipe row but First. Almost a year after the short closure of her active wear brand, Ashi Biens has revealed the eye watering amount she made of her collections first Drop. So if the admission came during a recent podcast episode, this isn't the first time that we are speaking about content from one of ashe Byn's podcasts, and I don't think that it's a coincidence at all. I really think that her podcast has taken a new direction since it's changed its name and also co host. The show is now being produced by Nova, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've seen the success that Listener has had with the Kickpod and they've gone we need to replicate that, because as soon as Steph Leesmith and Laura Henshaw started opening up about their sex lives and their business secrets, their podcast went flying up the charts. And I think that a lot of those outlandish stories are getting attention because they're then featured on news websites and that leads to more people discovering the podcast and hitting download. And I think for Ashy and her new co host Tiana, they thought, let's replicate that we need to start opening up, and that sort of shock value seems to have been brought into their podcast, and I think it also attracts a lot of hate listening because personally, I'm not that interested in hearing Ashi Bynes talking about manifestation and self improvement, but I do want to hear the juicy details about how much her business makes. I think a lot of influencers thought that they were the draw cards themselves, so they could just talk about any issue or concept that interests them. So for ashe, obviously she is interested in a bit of that woo woo stuff. But then I think they quickly realized, hey, we actually need to divulge a bit about our personal lives. I mean it turned into influences just answering people's dilemmas and not really giving any information about themselves. Well, in this episode, they did do what a lot of inflo luancers do and they put up a question box for their audience, but they asked their audience to send in burning questions that they think that Ashi and Tiana would generally avoid answering, and they really didn't waste time getting into it with Ash's starting the show by answering what is the easiest.
Speaker 2: Cash she's ever made. Let's have a listen to what she.
Speaker 3: Said, influence work, for sure, Although when I first launched anything, the first launch is always the biggest. So when I first launched active where it was over a million dollars and twenty four hours, when I first launched my app, it was the same thing. But I feel influencer work is the easiest work that you could do. Like, when influencers say they've got a hard job, I'm like, they don't. It's like, yes, it takes you've got to be creative and you've got to be on Like, for sure, it still takes brain power, but it's very easy to promote a product that you genuinely love. Yeah, so I'd say that would be pretty easy.
Speaker 1: At least she's got the self awareness to say that influencing isn't a difficult job. It's interesting how she phrased it though, saying, oh, when influencers say they've got a hard job as if she isn't in that space herself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she seemed to want to distance herself from influencers.
Speaker 1: She is known as being an OG influencer, but I suppose she's made her career a lot broader because she owned so many different businesses. I think that that's what she was trying to establish. Can you imagine, though, making one million dollars in just one day would be pretty nice? I mean I've always been so curious to know how much influencers actually make when they launched their own product, or even when they launched something through an existing brand. And I feel like a few years ago, we'd always see influencers.
Speaker 2: Filming their launch, so you'd see them and you'd see how many people are on the website, but you'd never actually be told how much they'd make. You always just assumed it was a fuck ton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there's always been question marks about how much stock influencers actually released to achieve a sellout. I mean, I remember back in the day when Kylie Jenner used to put her lip kits on sale and it was like sold out within thirty seconds, and everyone's like, but how many were there? Well, clearly, as she sold a hell of a lot of active where to make a million dollars in twenty four hours, and she backed it up when she also launched her app, so she also made a subsequent one million dollars in twenty four hours, which really shows how huge her influence was at the time. Yeah, it appears that influence has waned, though, considering she shut down her active wear collection, I was curious to see when she actually launched her active wear line and whether it was when she was at the height of her fame. I would have said she was at the height of her fame in twenty seventeen, but I was surprised to see she only launched this active wear brand baseline in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: The thing is, though I vividly.
Speaker 1: Remember buying a pair of Coalbalt Blue legans from her did You in twenty seventeen, so she must have also just had random active wear on her website and it wasn't through the actual brand baseline. I didn't have you done as an Ashy Baynes fan back in the day. I'm I am not an Ashy Baynes fan. I had just happened to follow her and I Cobalt Blue is one of my favorite colors. I feel like it looks really good on blondes, and I'm like, I have to have those legans. I didn't feel they were the best quality though. I think I wore them once and that was it.
Speaker 2: It seems like.
Speaker 1: Ashi Byinnes is a money making machine when it comes to social media, because she divulged that the most she's been paid for a single social media post is fifteen thousand dollars, and she said the average she would get would.
Speaker 2: Be around ten grand a post. That is absolutely wild.
Speaker 1: For some reason, all I can think about in this moment is if she was making so much money, why didn't she.
Speaker 2: Invest in a nice Christmas tree? OJ listeners will know that.
Speaker 1: I think it was a couple of years ago she shared this toilet brush looking Christmas tree and it had the saddest looking tinsel.
Speaker 2: I've ever seen. It still haunts me to this day.
Speaker 1: Well, that's just a bousome Hill sponsorship deal waiting to happen, isn't it. But why does she just pay for her own She's making ten k off all these posts, well fifteen k. Evidently people have different priorities except but she was also talking about like gifting this tree to someone else. But that's just one of the stories of ashi Bynes that really sticks with me. Well, the confessions didn't stop there for Ashiy Bynes, because she also revealed on her podcast that when she was eighteen, she used to make ten to twenty grand a week working as a quote skimpy barmaid.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This surprised me.
Speaker 1: She said that she used to carry around a lot of shame about this job and she was embarrassed to open up about it until now. And she said it was during a time in her life when she'd just broken up with her boyfriend and she spent six months in wa making serious bank.
Speaker 2: Here's some of what she said.
Speaker 3: The man over there just tipped like crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was never a topless waiter yeah, or topless bar girl. There was the pub that I worked out, and then there was one next to it with the topless girls were I never did that. I just didn't have the confidence too. But yeah, it was fun. It was a cool time in my life. Fun different be at at home and make bank, make bank. Yeah, and it's the holidays.
Speaker 2: Took my friends on holidays, paid off some bills.
Speaker 1: I sensed that she wanted to make it really clear that she wasn't actually a topless waiter. I feel like she knew that the media would quickly run with that as a headline, and I think she was trying to separate herself from other women working in the industry, which it almost felt a bit uncomfortable to listen to. Yeah, particularly when she made such a big that when she was working as a bar maide, she actually wore more clothes than other girls working at nightclubs. Yeah, she referenced Bedroom nightclub, which again I'm not from the Gold Coast. I wonder if some of our listeners have some memories of that nightclub. But she said a lot of the women there would get around in lingerie and just underwear.
Speaker 2: But again, I felt like.
Speaker 1: It was just weird to be like, no, no, no, but I didn't do that, Like I wasn't doing that. And she would say, oh, and I built a good rapport with the men working there. We were more mates than anything else. I mean, again, I suppose she did reference that she felt shame around the role, so maybe she was carrying that a bit into the segment. Yeah, it does sound like that now, as she did speak about how dangerous this job was so She said that she was in a really lucky position because she had male friends who would drop her to and from work. However, her coworkers weren't as lucky. They had to hang out at the bar or walk home alone.
Speaker 2: That's really scary, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I love this detail of the story though, because, as she said, as part of her job she had to go by a different name. So the name she got given was Pam. And she said, every now and then, when she puts up a Q and a box, someone will come out of the woodwork and say, how are you going, Pam Oh, And she said she just can't hide from it, which is maybe why she's decided to open it up about it in her own terms. I wonder if she was worried that someone would go to the.
Speaker 2: Media about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like maybe someone was threatening to leak this to the media, not that it's even a very big deal at all. I was just thinking the whole time, Oh, okay, so this is like the only fans of them. I also potentially think that as she felt like now was a good time to open up about it, because we've really evolved as a society.
Speaker 2: I don't think that.
Speaker 1: There would have been nearly as much judgment about this story as there would have been five ten years ago. Now it was only a couple of weeks ago so that we were talking about how Ashi Bynes had launched her fragrances into New Zealand and essentially offended the whole country by saying they smelt so last week her brand Hideaway launched a new campaign and this time they released an all natural coconut loop.
Speaker 3: Well we've just launched something new.
Speaker 2: So what is it, exactly?
Speaker 3: You're asking? Well, is natural lubricant?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 3: Because I could not find any in Australia that was clean, smell good, actually worked and didn't cost me an arm in a leg, I was paying over one hundred dollars to order one from the USA because there was nothing here in Australia. I also heard some absolute horror stories where other lubricants that were not natural and clean caused irritation, reactions and burning no thank you. So after quickly realizing I wasn't alone and wanting a nice natural product to use in the bedroom, I said to Steve, let's create it and we did the one hundred percent natural it's coconut based, no paraban Oasilicon, No nasties under forty dollars for a tube of one hundred and fifty mils, keep packaging easier to order online, so no more awkward supermarket checkout.
Speaker 1: Tell me you're an influencer without telling me you're an influencer. A one hundred dollars on a bottle of loop?
Speaker 2: What is it going on?
Speaker 1: Because you've on this cost of living crisis? I mean, have I been living under a rock? Or is that extreme? Like I've never heard anyone spending one hundred dollars on I get that she's saying it's all natural and it's fancy.
Speaker 2: Et cetera.
Speaker 1: But most people just going down to Woolies and buying the ten dollars sheet off the aisle.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I suppose it's quite a personal thing that people don't generally talk about. So this story actually does remind me of a guy that one of our friends was dating. And I don't want to give too many details because I don't want to get in trouble, but he definitely wasn't dropping one hundred dollars on Loube because he liked to keep a jar of coconut oil next to his bed, so on his bedside table.
Speaker 2: He was keeping it natural and he would spoon a little bit out and use it instead.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't know if she'd be putting that out there, because I don't know if that's particularly a safe method. I'm not suggesting that anyone should be doing this. That's horribly in my mind. Can you imagine the ick of hearing the jar being unscrewed and the.
Speaker 2: Screening of the spoon. Maybe he should just invest in one hundred dollars as she buys lube.
Speaker 1: I mean, whenever I'm cooking with coconut oil, it's really actually hard to get out of the container, like sometimes you need a warm spoon, or.
Speaker 2: Because it's hard. The coconut oil is usually hard.
Speaker 1: I remember in my early twenties hearing a story about a guy who used to refuse to buy lu because he didn't want to invest in it, so he would use olive oil. Oh my god, SOAVI, are you're giving some horror stories away. I feel like this is very low brow for our podcast. Maybe this is why there's some good natural products on the market now, because there's so many people who had bad experiences with olive oil.
Speaker 2: And coconut oil.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're doing it for the natural reasons. It sounds like laziness to me.
Speaker 2: No, what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying that now, there's probably women who were like demanding all natural products because they've had some negative reaction or irritation to stuff that they shouldn't be using.
Speaker 2: Maybe Ashy Biens is doing God's work.
Speaker 1: Here are outside Brookies bakehouse.
Speaker 2: It is just opening this morning. We're working on.
Speaker 1: This story today regarding the allegations of plagiarism against a Brookie made by Nagi from recipe Tin to Eat. Two of Australia's most popular food creators are engaged in a plagiarism row over dessert recipes. Nagi Mahashi has a q Brooke Bellamy of plagiarizing two of her recipes in her best selling cookbook Bait with Brookie. Brooke denies the claim, saying all the recipes in.
Speaker 2: Her cookbook are her own.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we get into it, can you get us up to speed with the main players of this story. Yeah, So this story is massive because these two food creators are big deals in the Australian food industry. You've got Nagi, who is one of Australia's most beloved and influential home cooks. She is the founder of highly successful food blog recipe tin Eats. I'm a regular visitor to the blog.
Speaker 2: Nearly all of.
Speaker 1: My good recipes come from Nagi, and I think what really sets her recipes apart is that they're easy enough to cook on a weeknight, but they taste amazing and they're pretty cost effective. I'm just obsessed with her dog, Dozer. He's a senior Golden Retriever. He is adorable, He's got the cutest white face. He's had a couple of health problems, and it's really him who's won me over.
Speaker 2: They're such a sweet duo together.
Speaker 1: Every one of her Instagram stories that features Dozer I put a little love on on now. Her story is a really an vpirational one too, because she gave up her job in corporate finance in twenty fourteen to pursue her passion with food, and since then her blog has amassed over five hundred million views. She's attracted almost two million social media followers and released two best selling cookbooks. To top it off, In twenty twenty, Nagi founded a not for profit food bank called recipe Tin Meals that donates nearly one hundred thousand meals to vulnerable people in Sydney. So she is an incredible woman.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As for brook Bellamy, she launched Brookies Bakehouse in Brisbane in twenty twenty two and the bakery was an instant success thanks to her massive presence on TikTok. So she has two million TikTok followers and one million on Instagram and most days there is a massive lineup just to get into her bakery.
Speaker 2: And it got to the point where brook began having.
Speaker 1: To ship cookies and cakes Australia wide and even internationally because the demand was so huge. She's even opened up pop up stores in Abu Dhabi and also Dubai. And in October last year she published a cookbook called Bake with Brookie and it has been incredibly successful up until this point. She sold over ninety two thousand copies and she has generated a predicted four point six million dollars in sales. Now we need to talk about the allegations. So on Tuesday, Nagi announced on her website that she had made copyright infringement allegations against Penguin Random House Australia. She wrote, this is a story about a multimillion dollar cookbook by a social media influencer, published by a blue chip publisher, featuring numerous recipes that, in my opinion, are plagiarized. Given the detailed and extensive word for words similarities to mine and those of other authors. To me, the similarities between the recipes in question are far too specific in detailed to be dismissed as coincidence. Penguin has denied the allegations. I have received no response from book Bellamy, the author. Now the recipes in question are a caramel slice and a buck LeVar Nagi went on to share screenshots of the recipes side by to show the similarities.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Within hours, Brook responded to the allegations, denying that she plagiarized any recipes in her cookbook. She claimed that she'd been selling caramel slices commercially since twenty sixteen. She wrote, on March twenty twenty, recipe tin Eats published a recipe for caramel slice. It uses the same ingredients as my recipe, which I have been making and selling since four years prior.
Speaker 2: Now as a form of a receipt.
Speaker 1: She shared a photo of her pastry case in the bakery and circled the caramel slice on a plate. Now, I don't quite understand how the photo proves she used a particular recipe. God, does anyone else feel like caramel slice? Though?
Speaker 2: Just like I feel like I've gotta try this recipe out.
Speaker 1: I mean. Brookie also claimed that she offered to remove both the caramel slice and Bucclovar recipe from future prints of her book to prevent further aggravation. Now, another popular baking identity has come out of the woodwork to also make claims against brook So. Sally McKenny from Sally's Baking Addiction in the US alleged that Brooks vanilla cake recipe also closely resembles her own. Nagi also has since accused brook of copying the late Bill Granger's Portuguese tart recipe. Again, this segment is making me very hungry. But I want to pose the big question to you, because this is what I've been thinking about all week in terms of this story. Is it possible to plagiarize a recipe? Because it's a really interesting discussion. Where is the line between inspiration and plagiarism, particularly when it comes to baking sweet goods because there's such a formula you need to follow. It's not like a savory recipe where you can chuck in a bit of this and a bit of that and it'll work out. Yeah. And I think there was a lot of confusion, particularly because everyone was focused on the caramel slice recipe, and a caramel slice is a very traditional recipe. There's not a lot of different ways you can make it, so a lot of people don't understand how a recipe for caramel slice can be copied.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's a very basic recipe, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the thing is those people clearly don't follow Nagi on social media because she often shares the long process that she goes to develop a recipe. And yes, a caramel slice recipe doesn't differ much, but you can perfect it and you can test different ratios out and that's what she does. So she's not saying that she invented the recipe, but she's saying that she's extensively tested different versions until she's come up with one that's worked best for her.
Speaker 2: It's definitely very.
Speaker 1: Complex, and I think unless you're a chef and know what goes into developing a recipe, you probably don't fully understand it. Legal experts have weighed in saying that yes, it is possible to plagiarize a recipe, but recipe copyright cases are very complex.
Speaker 2: So you can't copyright the concept of.
Speaker 1: Say a caramel slice, but once you've written down that recipe, that becomes a copyright literary work.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, in Australia, copyright law protects the unique expression of a recipe, which means the specific wording, instructions, and presentation. However, the underlying list of ingredients or general method is not protected by law. Therefore, copying the exact text or unique elements of a recipe without permission can constitute copyright infringement.
Speaker 2: We reckon.
Speaker 1: That's why sometimes we see recipes where people have thrown in some.
Speaker 2: Really random ingredients.
Speaker 1: You're like wow, like you know that doesn't really belong in there, but they've tried to make it different.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I think it's also around the way you present the recipe. So a lot of cookbook authors will tell a really special story about how they came to create the recipe or you know, the inspiration behind it. And in Brookie's Cookbook, we're not seeing that it's a very basic recipe or here, this is how I made it. The steps are simple, so there's not really that art of storytelling within it as well. It's quite interesting and I think something that seemed to catch Brooke out a little bit was that there was a mistake in Nagi's Blacklovar recipe which is then mirrored in Brooks recipe.
Speaker 2: Which is a bit awkward.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that was a little bit of a smoking gun for some people.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: While the whole plagiarism recipe situation is complex from a copyright perspective, when it comes to how the food writing industry views it, it's quite different because from an ethical stance, closely mimicking someone's recipe is considered plagiary.
Speaker 2: It's very frowned upon, isn't it.
Speaker 1: And again that is from an ethical stance, not so much illegal stance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the best practice is to.
Speaker 1: Credit the original source, and that's what Nagi wanted. She said that she would have given Brook her permission and blessing to use the recipe if she just asked. And I feel like the food community in Australia is probably quite a tight knit one that seems like a very wholesome community. Yeah. I feel like again, if a mission was sought, she would have just given it. Yeah. And I think while a lot has been said about this case, one thing that I haven't seen discussed is this hierarchy in the food creator space. And I think a lot of the vitriol aimed at Brook has to do with the fact that people don't think she's got baking credentials. She had a meteoric rise into the food industry from TikTok and I remember her content popping up on my TikTok for you Paid and being absolutely amazed at how she had managed to build this incredible business from just sharing day in the life blogs.
Speaker 2: Now I only just.
Speaker 1: Discovered since the plagiarism scandal broke that Brook was a highly successful travel blogger before opening her bakery. So she was known by her maiden named Brook Starwood, and she started up a travel blog called World of Wonderlus in twenty twelve. This blog was absolutely massive. She had around six million readers a year and one point two million social media followers from it. And it was actually during her travels that she developed her love for food and for baking, which has then inspired her career in food thus far. Yeah, and before Brookie's bake House, she opened her first bakery in Tasmania in twenty sixteen, called Charlie's Dessert House. Now, it was in twenty twenty when the pandemic hit that Brooke found herself at this crossroad when international travel was halted, and that's when she turned her attention to baking and eventually opened Brookies bake House in twenty twenty two. It is interesting to consider how many of Brook's travel audience converted over to her baking content, because her Instagram account is still live for her wonder last one and she actually links to Brookies Bakehouse over there. I suppose travel and food sort of go hand in hand, don't they, Because a lot of the time travel bloggers will show you a country's cuisine. It's very aspirational content, so I can see how they go quite nicely together. Yeah, it definitely makes sense. And I think it is this influencer status that Brooke had before launching Brookies Bakehouse that has got people questioning is she a legitimate baker?
Speaker 2: Is this just another business venture for her?
Speaker 1: I feel like those who are questioning it are definitely people in the food industry and who I've been working in the food industry for decades, and they feel a little bit insecure about the rise of these TikTok content creators because, I mean, all over my algorithm at the moment, I'm seeing these really quick, fast recipes that are easy to make, and there isn't really a lot of crediting going on. And people are building huge careers off being really creative in the way that they film something. But maybe those people don't actually have the technical skills in building a recipe. But isn't this just how the cooking landscape has progressed. I mean, we originally had cookbook authors, now we have bloggers, and now we have got TikTok creators. There's always been snobbery around the next iteration, is that just what we're seeing here? It definitely is the way forward, and it's the way that I personally build up recipes for dinner.
Speaker 2: I'll always save something that looks quick and easy.
Speaker 1: But I think the frustration is coming from food creators who have worked in the industry for decades and they've tested and trialed these recipes for people to then seemingly steal them and with creators like Nagi.
Speaker 2: She's all about.
Speaker 1: Building a story, and their work is beautiful, like their works of art, what they create about these particular recipes and the personal stories that they bring into them. And I think that there's some frustration that maybe there's a section of people who just want to be TikTok famous, so they're going to start ripping off people's recipes and they're not really into food themselves. Yeah, and I think there's this skepticism around someone like Brook who has had six in the travel industry, being a travel influencer, and then people are probably like, oh, hang on, and she just moved into the baking industry because that was the next thing that was popular on TikTok. And there is a flattening of this recipe development on TikTok. People aren't crediting different creators. So yeah, I can see why there is a little bit of a battle between the old school and the new school. Another point of contention has been around Brooks supposed wealth. So Brook is married to landscape architect Justice Bellamy and they have a young daughter together called Collette. Wait, so his name is Justice, Yes, sounds like a judge. Yeah, well that's his first name. His other brothers and sisters have quite unique names too. I can tell from the name Justice that he is philsy Rich. Yeah, there's been this chatter online that Justice is a billionaire thanks to his family founding Bellamy Organix. So Bellamy Organic's actually started out as a formula company in Tasmania. People are saying he funded Brooks Bakeries and she's had this.
Speaker 2: Leg up in the industry.
Speaker 1: Now. While it is true that Justine does, his parents originally founded Bellamy Organics. They sold it in two thousand and seven to Tasmania Pure Foods and at the time the company wasn't quite breaking even and they had three employees. Since then, the company changed its name to Bellamy Australia and in twenty nineteen was acquired by a Chinese company for one point five billion dollars. So I'm sure that Justice's family made good money out of the company in two thousand and seven, but nowhere near a billion dollars.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like it's irrelevant.
Speaker 1: Even if she did get a leg up, she's still built her own successful social media career and that's how she's generated interest in her food. Yes, obviously it helps to be given money to open a bakery, but she wouldn't be having lines out the door if it wasn't for her excellent marketing. Yet, it seems like since this story has hit the media, people are really focusing on the money involved, because obviously it's been touted as this four point six million dollar cookbook, and people are pointing out that Brooke purchased a three point six million dollar home off the back of the success of the And I think it's also because Nagi is viewed as Australia's sweetheart, so anyone who comes up against her it's very difficult for them. That's why I was surprised that Nagi actually came out with these allegations because it is very off brand for her. It sounds like this story has been going on behind the scenes for about six months now, so it's not like Brooke was blindsided when Nagi released her statement. It sounds like she did give her some time to come back at her before going public with it. We need to remember that this is a business issue, so Nagi last week urged her follow us to stop trolling Brook and said, you've got to remember this is my business. Having an issue with Penguin. It's not an issue directly with brook Yes, she is involved, let's throw it more of what she said.
Speaker 5: You know, share your opinions, have heated debates. Support Brookie, support me, disagree with both of us, think we're pathetic, whatever you want, but just keep it respectful, no trolling, no hate comments. Fundamentally, at the end of the day, we're talking recipes and this is a business dispute. You know, these are legal allegations that I've made against Penguin. A corporate allegation is made by my company. So it just we've got to be respectful about this. You know, it's the recipe, tim Way.
Speaker 1: I think this just really shows what an amazing person Nagi is, and people do need to understand that this is a commercial dispute between businesses, not women. The sad thing is, though, whenever women are involved in a conflict like this, the media turn it into a bit of a catfight and say that they're facing off against each other.
Speaker 2: They don't make it into a business dispute. They tend to make it very personal.
Speaker 1: I was sitting all over my TikTok on the day that Naggi made her allegations. People sharing these hilarious videos showing their two cookbooks facing off on the bookshelf, being like, oh, this is all with it.
Speaker 2: The next day each other, well came up.
Speaker 1: We're playing into it the other day when I was there because at the checkout they had the two cookbooks there, like they're obviously like, well, everyone's talking about these, let's place them front and center. What makes this even more awkward is that Nagi and Brook are set to appear this week at an Australian Book Industry Awards in Melbourne. So both of their cookbooks have been shortlisted in the same category. So I wonder if someone is just not going to turn up. Yeah, I think in this instance, Brook may be a no show. It's a hard one because then if she doesn't show up, it almost looks like she's saying she has done the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I was their PR managers, I'd say, hey, ladies, both turn up and be on the red carpet together showing some form of solidarity and say this is a business dispute, it's not personal or I mean, not even turn up on the red carpet together, but just look civil, maybe shake hands or something.
Speaker 4: I was not expecting it It all happened within the space of like forty eight hours, sold mine and bought another one.
Speaker 1: Sammy Robinson has made a return to YouTube to announce she's officially a homeowner. The one Mile founder, who lives in Sydney, revealed she purchased a dream home over the Easter Long weekend. Yeah, it's been a bit of a whirlwind for Sammy because she bought her new home just two days after selling her apartment. It all happened so quickly. So Sammy said that while she has been doing her research and looking at property online for about a year, she hadn't actually attended an open inspection until she sold her apartment.
Speaker 2: Well that's living life on the edge, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So as soon as the paperwork for her apartment was done, Sammy made a short list of twenty properties that she wanted to check out that weekend.
Speaker 2: So she went with her mum and looked at as many as.
Speaker 1: They could, and she instantly fell in love with a property and basically the real estate agent said to her, if you put in an offer today.
Speaker 2: You'll be in with a really good chance. So this is day one of looking at properties. I think that's what happens, though.
Speaker 1: When you're looking for a house, you don't realize how quick you have to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Sammy said that she loved this house so much that she went to her solicitor straight away. She spent four hours there going over the contract and going back and forth with the current owners. She put in an offer that afternoon. By Sunday night, she got a call saying that the offer had been accepted.
Speaker 2: Such have been a good offer. It all happened in the space of forty eight hours. Here's how she reacted.
Speaker 4: I can't even remember exciting.
Speaker 3: What's just happened this weekend?
Speaker 4: Like, I have no words.
Speaker 2: We just got accepted.
Speaker 5: Done with horse.
Speaker 2: You got a backyard?
Speaker 4: Now, oh my god, you got a backyard.
Speaker 2: Have you been working hard?
Speaker 4: Have you been working so high?
Speaker 1: That was Sammy telling her dogs that they're going to be getting a backyard, which is a bit of a social media trend at the moment. I've seen people saying that they're only working hard in order to secure.
Speaker 2: Their dogs a backyard.
Speaker 1: She also dropped that her dogs are going to be water baby. So I'm guessing this house is neither water or has a pool, and it must be pretty big because her roommate Holly is going to continue living with her and her sister is going to move in, so I would be predicting that this would have quite a number of bedrooms.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean she must be doing well with one mile just to be dropping money so quickly on a house. Well, particularly because she has described this as being her dream house.
Speaker 2: Let's have a listen to what she said.
Speaker 4: It's like my ddream house. It makes me really emotional, and I feel like I haven't had a chance to like let it digest and manifested this place specifically, like this was everything that was on my list. This place I will be out for quite a while and I want to make it perfect and I want to I'm just after doing my store renaults and sort of the fit out and the design and the interior design aspect of that. I feel like I've developed such a newfound passion for that or interest in that.
Speaker 2: This must be a pretty epic house.
Speaker 1: If she is saying that this is her dream home, because she has lived in some pretty incredible houses with her parents. I mean her parents' house had a view of the Sydney Harbor Bridge. She's also had some incredible holiday houses near the water. I always remember when I first started following her. Every year Year's she would have this incredible photo of her and her boyfriend Nick at the time, making out when the clock struck midnight and the fireworks were going off and you could see the Sydney Harbor Ridge in the background, And I always thought, who is the poor mug start taking this photo?
Speaker 2: A perfect influencer backdrop.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: One thing that really stood out to me when I was watching this vlog was just how grateful Sammy was to her audience. So she said that she was eternally grateful for her followers and she would never be able to live this life without them, and she's been able to transition from YouTube to a successful business owner because of the support from them. She's a real class at People will know that she is a favorite of mine. But it just was very genuine. It didn't feel like she was just ticking a box. Because I do feel like there is a bit of a formula. If you're an influencer and you've bought a house, you must show that you were grateful to your audience. Even though it's quite clear that Sammy has worked very hard building her business, but she knows without her audience, no one would be buying the products. It's interesting to how much she must be making from one mile because we spoke about earlier in the show about Ashy Bynes and how she made a million dollars in the first twenty four hours of her active wear drop to think that Sammy has two stores in Sydney to retail stores.
Speaker 2: Well, she's just set to open the second one in Paddington. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Plus obviously her online e commerce website she must be doing so well. Yeah, and there's been a lot of talk about her broadening her horizons to the US. She's done a lot of shoots over there.
Speaker 2: I think they did.
Speaker 1: Something with Kendall Jenna so, no, it actually wasn't Kendall Jenna. It was just another model called Kendall.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: I think it was off the back of Kendall wearing one of the items of clothing. And I really played on it they were shooting with Kendall.
Speaker 2: Well, I bought it.
Speaker 1: Touching on Sammy's store that she's set to open in Paddington. I love it because she's talking about having a signature sandwich.
Speaker 2: At the store. Oh, I feel like sandwiches are all the rage. Yes they are. They're all over my TikTok at the moment.
Speaker 1: And the more ingredients the better, it seems.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There is an.
Speaker 1: Incredible store in up Lad called Dante's, which I have to say make the best sandwiches.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were.
Speaker 1: Raving about them the other day. I need to go there. Apparently it's the what is it, the tuna melt. That's really the tuna mel is incredible. I'm not really a fan of tuna, but this is next level. If you had a signature sandwich, what would be in it? I, being vegetarian, obviously eat a little bit of fish, pescatarian. I would just love a sandwich bursting with salad, so carrot, beech, root, cheese, maybe a bit of feather in there, avocado, capsicumque like just any vegetable you can think of a mayonnaise. I mean, it's not very injured, pep salm, pepper. Yeah, and on a sour dough. It has to be on a sour dough. Sour dough that's hard to bite into as a sous sour dough. Okay, Well, on that note, it is lunchtime at Outspoken HQ. You can probably tell that We're absolutely starving, so we will leave things there for today.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us for this episode. If you have enjoyed it, could you please make sure you are subscribed on Apple podcast and also.
Speaker 1: Spotify and leave us a fire start review and rating. I also love seeing where you're listening from, whether it's on your hot girl walk or whatever you're doing. This episode was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide Plains. We pay respect to elders past and present,