Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week that night. Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you're currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services. Today. On the podcast, I have Abby Chatfield, who was excited to talk the mass Singer Australia, which debuts tonight on Channel ten at seven point thirty. Abby was a shock announcement alongside Melby Hughesy Chrissy Swan as this really cements her as a television personality in the big leagues. The panel did get a massive shake up with three of the presenters exiting the show, but early buzz is really positive and the launch tonight looks like a tight race up against some new reality shows debuting at the same time. Abby talks about the casting announcement on the series, what it's like to work alongside a spice girl, what she will bring to the Mask Singer Australia. We also discuss her commitment to social media, which is a lot and lots more. It really is a good chat and so, without further ado, I would like to welcome back Abby Chatfield to TV every loan.
Speaker 2: I was really nervous in the first episode. Who is behind the Mask? This isn't like Australian idol where someone's heart could be completely broken.
Speaker 1: Ye many, Abby, You're.
Speaker 2: Gonna be blown away. You're just scared of any kind of backbash.
Speaker 1: And I was just told us that we had a Grammy Award winner. I reckon, it's you.
Speaker 2: We're going to have to kill Hughsey and I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Hughsey starts Sunday, August seven on ten.
Speaker 2: You know what is so if this is offensive or not, but I actually did get used to it.
Speaker 1: Hi, Abby, how are you?
Speaker 2: Hi? Gorgeous? Great? How are you well?
Speaker 1: I was so excited for you with the announcement of the Mass Singer came out. Is this job a turning point for you in your career? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean it's gone from I feel as though obviously last year I started to do Love Island after party, but that is kind of a smaller after show, as fun and amazing as that was, And I think I've kind of gone from being maybe the girl that they grab if they need someone to go on the drum or you know, Tibul j Hack or whatever, or if they want someone to just guest on the Protector Studio ten to now being an actual panelist on a TV show that is becoming a cornerstone of Australian media. So I think it definitely represents some sort of change more mainstream media rather than eighty percent influence twenty percent mainstream.
Speaker 1: I just think that you're now certified talent here in Australia and you also get to work along phenomenal talent. Do you ever get used to sitting next to a spice girl?
Speaker 2: You know what is?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is offensive or not, but I actually did get used to it very quickly. I think it's because Mel is just the loveliest person, and you really forget that she's a spice girl. She's a person that'll, you know, tell you've got carrot in your teeth or you know, as I sure you saw the LOGI is her carrying my train down the red carpet only an hour after meeting me, and helped me to the toilet and do my zips up, and you know, she is just amazing. I actually cried at one of the reveals because that was just a big name and it was so overwhelming for me. And granted we had film two episodes, so I also was very tired. But you know, let's put it down to the celebrity. But I was crying. And then I think Hughsy said, oh, why you know you're so overwhelmed, but you've been sit next to a spice girl this whole time, And I was like, I forgot you were a spice girl, Like it just doesn't even cross your mind. I think that's a testament to how lovely and just down to earth and son all the English she is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I must admit I did speak to her at the logis, and as soon as he starts speaking to her, that sort of overwhelming feelings starts to dissipate, because she is very accessible and very down to earth. I am going to ask you the most obvious question, which is a great way to tease your relationship with the other panelists. It's kind of a childish interview question of sorts, but murder Mary, kiss your co host Chrissy Swan, Hughsy and Melby.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, I have to marry Christy Swan. I have to do it. She is beyond an angel kind even explain how much I love that woman. So marry Chrissy now. And this is because you know he's married. So we're going to kiss mel and then we're going to have to We're going to have to kill Hughsey. And I'm so sorry, Hughsey. I love you, but I just feel as though I want to push Melby and I want to marry Chrissy said, so only option I do love, love love.
Speaker 1: Hughsey, I love Husey. It actually is so generous. You know, the panel had a real shake up this year. Did you reach out to any of the former panelists that were previously on the show. I mean, surely Jackie Henderson or Danny Minogue. Did anyone give you any advice? Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean Jackie actually DMed me after it was announced because obviously she didn't want to do it this season because when some of their kids so so fair enough, because it is during school holidays and radio breaks, so of course you want some time. But she just wished me luck and was so lovely and said, you know, she was soaked that I was on the panel, So I didn't ask any help. I think it was because I really hate like I don't listen to podcasts that is similar to mine, and I don't listen to radio shows really unless they're on the hit network. I don't want to accidentally steal content or accidentally steal someone's like saying. So I tried to not ask for direct advice because I'm scared that I will turn into like a shittier version of someone else.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so true though you can so easily steal other people's tones and turn a phrase. Is it more important than ever to have young people like yourself on TV who have a relatable and huge currency with younger audiences who don't watch free to wear television?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I mean, as we know, FREDA is competing with so many different streaming services now, and I think the great thing about the Mask Singer is it keeps that element of you have to watch the night that it's on because you don't want to have any spoilers. It's the whole point is spoilers like good things like The Bachelor, Right, the point is the journey, you know, the point is the drama, and you can kind of know who wins from the start and still enjoy the whole process. But on the Mask Singer, you have to watch it live or than just after live to enjoy it. So I think having someone like me posting about it on socials and being so invested obviously and being on it reminds that younger audience that there is a lot of fun in live TV or in scheduled TV weekly episodes. So I'm hoping that it will bring a younger audience I have. I've gotten a lot of dms saying I'm going to watch it just because of you, and I'd watched it before in the past, but i really can't wait to drive home how fun this show is to be a part of and to watch if you're really committed and really concentrated. So I'm hoping that it does bring a younger audience.
Speaker 1: I actually think that younger personalities in presenting roles are really important in the protection of the Australian television industry. You know, we tapped into this just a little bit, but this show to me has always been a bit of silly fun, and I felt like the first series with Lindsay Lohan kind of understood that brief What is your take on the show previously and where it is going now?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it is at its core really silly fun, and the thing I do love about it is that there are no villains. There are no heartbreaks really no. Of course, everyone wants to win and do well, but they're all celebrities at the end of the day. This isn't like Australian idol where someone's heart could be completely broken by coming second. It's all just a lot of fun. So I love that about it. But I also think that something that I've thought about recently is how great it is to kind of bring back that whole idea of I guess like socialized TV that I think a lot of game shows usually have, like Family Feud, for example, where there's kind of an interactive element where you can sit around with your friends and have a schedule each week, and you can really go in on playing the game with the guessing panel, and you can play family few from home, and I think it kind of brings up whole like vintage idea of having games night with the family and brings it into the modern era. And you can also join a long on social media. So I think that's kind of how I see the Master Singer is kind of a replacement for old game mates.
Speaker 1: I think that's exactly what this show is. And you know, you've met so many people in the Australian television industry, so many stars in the current celebrity world, so to speak, and I believe your knowledge of pop culture is very right. Now does that give you an upper hand?
Speaker 2: I think it did because I was able to bring names they had no idea who they were, like, no clok, I was just in Vera Blue and names like Rule came up and he's's like, hey, is that so? I think that Adam elm I also really loved being able to mention Australian artists like Vera on a mainstream network and being encouraged to do so. You know, like there wasn't any like, oh no, I want to know who that is? It was. It was a nice little meshing. But I think it gave me a little age. But I also think that with someone like Chrissy and Hughesy and even male obviously being in the Australian media landscape for twenty years, like Chris has been on radio since I was in year two. So I think she really knows everyone from you know, a random person who's had a funny line on the project through to the biggest stars in the world. So I think they had the upper hand there. But you know what, I had passion. I had passion energy.
Speaker 1: You know, I feel almost certain of one of the identities behind the mask. I won't say who, but I was like, hang on a second, I know just personally that Abby knows this guy. That's what was going over in my head. I was like, I think this guy is such and such, which is you know, obviously deleted And I know Abbi Chatfield knows this person. Is there someone you know that's in this series that came across your mind.
Speaker 2: That came across or that it was actually well, I was trying to use my friendship feelings trying to figure out who people were, but I don't. I think that the hard thing is when you start to think it's your friends, you get on a really weird rabbit hole of like thinking when did I speak to them last? And when you know what are they doing that? Would they do this show? What would they what would they enjoy about this show? You know? Should I just call them? And I don't want to call them because I don't want to ruin it. So, I mean, people's names did cross my mind quite a lot, but I didn't tend to go down that that that roote. I feel like I didn't ever go down a serious route of a friend. Nobody probably should have in hindsight.
Speaker 1: It's not Matt Agnew by the way, For everyone who's listening, everyone's probably thinking, I'm alluding to the Bachelor that you were with your bachelor.
Speaker 2: Tell me who you thought it was? Tell me.
Speaker 1: I just felt like the rooster could be hughge Sheridan, you know, and I and I felt like I could hear it. I don't know this for sure. And I also was, you know, guessing it could be Hugh Jackman or it could be Dennis Walter. So I'm a little bit bipolar with my selection of guesses. But I just thought, does happy Chadfield know that that's her friend Hugh Sheridan, you know.
Speaker 2: With the clues, actually we were told that the clue packages sometimes are written for two people, where for two, you know, prominent figures. Every clue could match up, so you could go right down a rabbit hole and you could be like, yep, every clue matches that, I'm one hundred percent correct, and then it's revealed and you are just so incredibly wrong. So it's good to have three options.
Speaker 1: Well, I was there for the live taping, as you know, and you definitely bring something fresh to the show, you know, I kept saying afterwards as well, by the way I kept to my partner Babes, with the way Abby Chatfield says, Babes, like the way you say it. You know, he was finding it really weird, like he was like, who are you being? But I will say the thing I liked about watching you was that you really hold your own you know, you're opinionated. You certainly don't get overshadowed by the other celebrity panelists. That leaves me with the question, which I think a lot of people are going to ask after watching this first episode, where does your confidence come from? God?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, I think that honestly, Like this is kind of a funny thing to say, but I've learned since being diagnosed with ADHD, like this confidence is actually just an inability to shut up. So I think Melb also spoke about ADHD to me and she has quite a similar thing. And everyone goes, well, I should confident out there, and it's like, I just have a near divergency. So then that's that's kind of part of it. But on this show in particular, I think that I was really nervous in the first episode, and to have people like mel Christy, Chusey and Osha, We're all so portive, and just the reinforcement from the producers, from the panel less. I mean, you know, when I's saying to you that was really funny, really well done on this specific thing. I think it just gives you a bit of an extra boost to feel like you can you can keep going and keep saying kind of what you're doing and push boundaries a bit more. And Hughsey is just I know everyone likes to hang she on Husy, but Hughsey is just like one of the loveliest men I've ever met, and he will after every segment kind of look to us and go, that was really funny, guys, really well done. So I think it's kind of like not the wad babying each other. But I think we all really admire and respect each other, and that comes through in us all constantly giving each other positive reinforcement. And I think that's how the confidence remains on that show.
Speaker 1: I have been in your audience since the first episode of the Bachelor, and you've really gone from strength to strength. But I do want to confess something to you. I once said publicly that Abby now appears to me that she is sort of held captive by her social media. I'm not someone who who says something behind someone's back and then doesn't come and say it to their face. But do you feel that creating content on your platform at times has been exhausting? I wanted to know, you know, at times, do you feel like the effort that you put into your post can be a little overwhelming at times?
Speaker 2: No, I think you are. I think that statement is correct. I think it's like bitch it all or kind of two faced it all. I think that's a kind of a correct analysis. I think it is. Really it is really exhausting to do TV radio podcasting, plus keep socials up, plus you know, do a pilot, and then also still do interviews and things like this. And I think that it is really emotionally taxing, and I do often feel, particularly in the last kind of six months, really really exhausted. It's not that I feel like the things that I say on social It isn't like I said there and I go, God, nothing to talk about? What should I talk about? It's more that I feel a compulsion to do it, and then I feel exhausted by response. If that makes sense, I'll just say it and then I kind of regret it because then the whole next twenty four hours of stories is talking about that one thing, people applying, correcting me, or you know, adding to the conversation. I think, God, I want to have more, but I don't have the energy, if that makes sense. So yeah, I think I think you're correct that it does feel really Yeah. It just feels almost like it's never ending, like an insatiable and insatiable like want from the public or from the networks, all from everyone. So I'm trying to find more of a balance in actually having fun and having life experiences and not saying yes to as many things so that I do have that time to I don't have a life that isn't recorded.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing though I often think about sending you a message, sliding into your dams to ask you are you okay? Like is this all a bit much for you? But then at the same time, I'm guilty of it as well. I want more from you. I'm wanting more of your opinions. I can't think of the amount of time that I'm sitting around with my friends and I wonder, wonder what Abby Chatfield would say, you know, wonder what she would say if you were here in the conversation. Yeah, oh love, because you have this platform and you are so open and honest, and it feels like no topic is too outrageous for you, if I'm honest. Do you think that we as a society are ready or may need more people talking publicly about sex, relationships, political opinions?
Speaker 2: Totally? And I think that people are really scared, like a lot of particularly influence people media are really scared to have political opinions or to speak about these things publicly. And maybe that is where that kind of feeling of like insatiable pressure comes from people, is that that I'm the only person that's speaking about I'm the only person, but I'm one of few people that are speaking about this, not on the news or not on you know, in a very I guess, chatty way, not in a structed like news or radio breaks. So I do think more people, particularly in mainstream media. I think I've had people ask me, which is bizarre for a career advice, and I'm like, I like, how do you do it? Like? And I'm like, I just I just say what I think about. So I have prompts that are you know, news articles or that are dms that I get, and I just respond to that and say what I think. And I just said to this person, you know, like to speak about what you want to speak about you and have to seek about what I talk about. But whatever you are passionate about, try out try out talking about it on your stories. Heyward to your friends and they were like, oh, but no, but only you can do that, And I oh no, but no, no one. You know, I'm not the same as you. I can't do that. And it's like, you can. You're just scared of any kind of backbash, of being any kind of controversial to maybe how you perceive your audience. And I think that it's kind of underestimating the audience and presuming that they are really close minded and conservative.
Speaker 1: People are afraid of being wrong. Though, that's where you step in. You know, you're Bachelorette or other people from reality television, they would love to be as outspoken as you on their platforms. But I think that you're not afraid of being wrong, and it's very interesting to watch you evolve with some of your thoughts on topics because you're willing to change your mind.
Speaker 2: I think I speak about so many things every day in so many different ways. Yeah, I think I have to be willing to be wrong and not take it as a complete personal failure. I mean, I don't know everything you know, and I can't know everything. No one can.
Speaker 1: I love it. That's why I'm in your audience. I mean, previously celebrities have shied away from having their opinions out there. Are you changing the way that celebrities can use their social media good? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think, God, that's that would be That's a very big call. But I feel that maybe maybe I'm encouraging people to to speak their mind on topics and kind of maybe even it's just I'm encouraging people who have a platform to analyze what they do think about this. Whether I post about it. I'm helping them actually analyze it. Then when they do speak about it, they have an opinion rather than just sharing an infographic, which is fine, but I think that the real, the real engagement, the real interesting conversations come from personal opinions and how they are formed.
Speaker 1: You know. The last question I have for you is about the Mast Singer, which obviously we are promoting who has the best performance of the season. I mean, who did you walk away still thinking about? Was it Dragonfly, Popcorn, mirror Ball? Whose performance are you still thinking about?
Speaker 2: It's actually one from Blowfly. It's a song that I actually after they were revealed, I was like, I need you to do a like a version of that or at least a cover, because I need to have it on Spotify. Like I thought about it. Every time I think about obviously the Mask Singer, which is every day at the moment, but I think about how much I want to hear that performance again. How I'm so excited for that episode. So Blowfly is amazing.
Speaker 1: The last question I'm going to ask you is something that ask everyone, What is something from behind the scenes that we as an audience did not see that we won't see something of a behind the scenes secret, something we would love to know from behind the scenes of your time on the mast Singer Australia.
Speaker 2: Now, isn't that scandalous? But I did. When we got on set, we had these really shitty water bottles, like we could not suck water out of them for the life of us, all also complaining about it the whole time. So on the first day I placed an order for everyone to have a nice little matching frank green water bottle. So if you ever see our water bottles, that's why they're all matching match you because I got Melby a little rainbow chrome one, Husually got a black one, Chrissy got one to match with me because we're just best friends forever. And yeah, maybe that's the only really interesting thing of the mat We're quite boringly nice, which is great for us but not great for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's not what we've wanted. We want to know that Dern is Christy swan mean, is Melby a bitch's Husy a nightmare? But it all turns out that it's actually really nice. I will say something Abby. I was there to watch it as it was being recorded, and the electricity behind the scenes and between you as the panel was magic, and I think that this season is going to do very well because of that chemistry between the four of you. It's a good season.
Speaker 2: I think it is as well. I think it's a whole new I mean, obviously, Jackie, Danny and Ursula are amazing. I adore the more. I love watching them on The Master. But I think it is really different this season. So yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing it along with everyone else.
Speaker 1: And I will say, when I saw you at the Logis after party, I was a little bit in my head and I was thinking to myself, I had no idea how charming you are as a person. You're a charmer, and I don't know, I don't know if I thought there was a perceived idea of what you were going to be like. But you're very generous in your time with people, and you're very thoughtful about what you're saying to people.
Speaker 2: Thank you, that's lovely to hear. That's a lovely, lovely to talk to you, Ben.
Speaker 1: Good luck tonight.