Speaker 1: Get a Peter Hally here.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet? The movie podcast, where we chat to movie lovers about classic or beloved movies they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest comedian Dave Thoughnton.
Speaker 3: Was it over winner Tryman's Bond, Pearl Harmer.
Speaker 4: Hello, sixty percent of the time it works every time.
Speaker 5: That doesn't make sense? Hi, it's green, Grays for breakfast and very hungry.
Speaker 1: Haven't right?
Speaker 3: So you ain't seen Nothing yet?
Speaker 2: Dave Dalton is an excellent human being as well as a superstar comedian. He is a delight to hang out with, a bloody, funny buger, great company and on stage he is raisor sharp. I've known Dave since he burst onto the comedy scene here in Melbourne, Australia. He won the two thousand and seven Best Newcomer at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and his career has gone from strength to strength. He is always on the money, always gut bustingly funny, and he's a brilliant writer and craftsman of the stand up comedy. He's also done acting, Thorno has as well as many other things from radio TV appears on the project Hughsey, we have a problem. He's one of the guys as at the top of every show booker's request sheet. I imagine to get Dave Thorton on you on your panel show. He also that's macting with Kerry Armstrong a while ago on the serious God Better Roses, which is quite dramatic and also less dramatic. His role on the very funny Up in the Middle bow And with Robin Butler and Wayne Hope, an excellent comedy series of year.
Speaker 1: Have not checked that out? You should so.
Speaker 2: I was a lot bit disgusted at Thorn. I hadn't seen this movie we're discussing today. It's one of my favorites, but it was a joyous fan and chatted him about it.
Speaker 5: Enjoy, Gooday.
Speaker 6: My name is Dave Thornton, and my three favorite films Moneyball.
Speaker 5: I don't give a rat house what your name is, Gaika, I got the better end of the deal.
Speaker 2: Only lend you my body, you let me your dream.
Speaker 5: And now Anchorman, you are a smellly pirate hooker. You look like a blueberry.
Speaker 6: And you say that because I watched that a few weeks ago. But I have never seen heat until two days ago.
Speaker 5: I do what I do best.
Speaker 3: I take scuse you do what you do best, trying to stab gays like me.
Speaker 2: It's the Niro, It's Batcino, It's Michael Man. What more do you need to know? This is one of the great crime films in the history of cinema, and it is so great because it takes on both sides of the battleground. It's the cops and the robbers played by a superb cast. Released in nine to eighty five, Heat is one of my all time favorite films, Like I said, and I can't wait to talk about it with Dave Thorn, I Thornton.
Speaker 1: Dave Thoughton, Welcome to you ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 2: First of all, let's just dive into before we get onto the masterful Heat.
Speaker 1: Your favorite film. So some mistering ones I hadn't come up.
Speaker 2: Before, Gadica, Ethan Hawk, Thurmont.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It was my brother that showed that to me. That movie come out like late nineties other time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, k about then, yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 6: I remember my brother was just like, oh, what's this And I didn't know at all what it was about. Yeah, And by the end of it, you know, when you're surprised because if you literally going as a blank canvas. Yeah, I got to the end, and I love I do love sporting films. I mean that Gadic is all about determination.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's setting them not too just in future where kids are born genetically modified. Yep, they're not better or anything, but they just get the best of each parent's genetics. Put them together and say you are the best human possible. And Ethan Hawke plays a guy who wasn't he was born naturally, and so then they rattle off a litany of things that could go wrong in this kid's life. He'll probably have a heart attack at thirty. He'll never make it, he'll just be some plot who's at best a cleaner, but he wants to become an astronaut. And the whole way through he fakes being this person who's genetically modified, who's the best of the best. And so by the end of it, I mean, you know, I don't want to spoil it, but you know, by the end of it, he's getting through all this mess and whatnot. And I just loved it. I just was enveloped by the whole story.
Speaker 2: I totally remember watching it and really digging it. Like, way more than I thought I was going to. But if you if you had have asked me what happens in Gatika, I would have gone, it's gotthan Ethan Hawk. And I didn't know you were going to say Gadeaka. So I was like, yeah, it's Ethan Hawk and Uma Thurman and science fiction. And that's as much as I could have told you. So it hasn't I must say, it hasn't lived in my in my memory, but I remember really enjoying it. And Moneyball was another one. You said, how good Moneyball? I love it, man.
Speaker 6: It is actually a film that I've got on my iPad. I bought it and I would just jump in on scenes and pieces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you can do it. Aaron Sorkin film. Like Aaron Zagin wrote that.
Speaker 2: It was it wasn't Fincher who directed, No, it was a guy who did a Capodi.
Speaker 1: Bennett. But that was again that was such a surprise of a Felm.
Speaker 2: Besides knowing that Aaron Sorkin had written it, so there must be it must be of a certain standard.
Speaker 1: But like on paper, that movie shouldn't work.
Speaker 5: I agree. I don't even like Baseball. Yeah, I don't like it. Yeah, but the highlights in it.
Speaker 6: And Brad Pitt, he plays such a great part, Like I love it that the whole way through. He plays Billy Bean, this manager of a baseball team, the Oakland A's, and he's.
Speaker 5: Such a twitchy character.
Speaker 6: I love the little bits he's alway munching on something, he's always thinking about something. He's always kind of got this beat that's going in his head that he's trying to get better. He's trying to get better, he's trying to push and I mean that. I feel those two films are very similar because they are men that like people tell them you can't.
Speaker 5: Do this, and they're like, I'm going to push through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I think there's a lot of reflection times, probably in my own career, like I just need a story to tell me everything's gonna be all right.
Speaker 2: And Ron Bergen he's probably the same people are telling me, you know, he can't do this, but.
Speaker 1: He pushes through. He pushes through. Well, only what's that?
Speaker 5: About?
Speaker 6: Two weeks ago I thought Haws it stood the test of time in my head up probably hadn't watched it for a decade maybe longer, and I.
Speaker 5: Was like, man, this is so funny, Like, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: I was on the I got quoted on the Australian and Command poster because I had said on radio at the time I laughed so hard I farted, and it was it was true. I laughed so hard I audibly farted in the cinema. And it was the scene where they Paul Rudd puts the cologne on and everyone just like, like, it smells like you know.
Speaker 1: Big foots balls or whatever.
Speaker 2: And I think Judd Apata has it like he runs across the screen He's gonna line in there, what is that?
Speaker 1: It sells like a turn covered in burnt hair? And that made me laugh so much.
Speaker 5: Well, it's you know, it is a film of sketches as well. It's amazing. The narrative does get pushed along because there's moments to be like, why did that just happen?
Speaker 6: Yes, when Ron Burgundy he Christin Applegate's character, oh god, I can't believe in that.
Speaker 5: Names escape me.
Speaker 6: But when the three other guys are sitting in there, they go Ron, what's it like? And he's like, what you' mean intimacy and like no love And that's when they start singing Afternoon Delight as a four person barbershop quartet.
Speaker 5: Sky Rockets in played a Noon Delight.
Speaker 7: You guys have it over Afternoon Delight.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Ron, that sounds kind of crazy, sounds like you have mental problems, man, Yeah, you have mental problems. Man, Yeah, it really does man, Afternoon Delight.
Speaker 5: And then go, I don't know, it feels a bit weird, and then just walk out of the room. There's no reason to.
Speaker 1: Have that in. But that's that's the joy of comedy.
Speaker 2: You can I comedy light that where it's heightened and ridiculous. You can play play wide.
Speaker 6: But one thing before we do move on, because I remember, remember the sequel came along and everyone was salivating for it, Yes, and I saw it in an open air cinema and I remember walking away.
Speaker 5: Disgusted because it taught me really good lesson.
Speaker 6: I like that story can fit in in this pocket, in this world. I don't know if that situational comedy or what, but it's like it can kind of only exist here because when you try to replicate it, the turns of phrases, the cats phrases, you've already heard them. Yes, if you try to do another one, it feels a bit eggy because they're kind of doing it because they know that's what people like.
Speaker 2: I must say, I walked away from Anchorman to a little underwhelmed, But I've since watched it again, and I think our expectations were so high. It was almost like going into the Force Awakens with Star Wars, the comedy version of it. Like Anchorman, one of those revere comedies of our generation of our life was doing a sequel fifteen years later and it was never gonna live up to expectations.
Speaker 1: But I still think.
Speaker 2: I still think there are certainly really funny moments in that in that film did better than the Zoolander sequels.
Speaker 1: Probably a bit fell a bit flat. I thought it's hard, those characters fell a bit.
Speaker 2: I thought there was some funny moments in that film too, but that fell a bit flatter.
Speaker 5: It's hard to do this sekus in comedy. I always find it. You're like, how can you relive this again? Because you're so right?
Speaker 6: I mean, you come in a good comedy and it surprises you. Yeah, and surprises the worst thing for comedy. Sorry, expectations are the worst.
Speaker 1: That surprises great in comedy. So why haven't you seen Heat.
Speaker 2: Heat just to frame this, I think is one of the greatest crime films ever. I was trying to think as I watched it again last night, and I've probably seen it about ten times, and I was going.
Speaker 1: To think, what a what a better?
Speaker 5: What are the better.
Speaker 1: Crime films than this?
Speaker 2: And I can only probably think of if The Godfather's a crime for ins, which I guess they are, maybe good fellows, And then I'm not sure if I could even get another one ahead of Heat.
Speaker 1: But so, why had you not seen it?
Speaker 6: I was thinking about that when I when I was watching it, I was like, it came out ninety.
Speaker 5: Five, so I'm in year ten off memory.
Speaker 2: This is officially the twenty fifth year celebration of Heat. This is the official celebration this podcast, right, Michael Mann would be listening to this EPAINO.
Speaker 1: This is how we commemorate the classic.
Speaker 6: And as much as we rip sequels, Pete and I are willing to do Heat too.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: There was talk of a TV spin off, but we'll get to that later. So why why not? Why not?
Speaker 5: That's interesting because I don't know what's rating?
Speaker 1: Is it R rated? I don't remember it being ah yeah.
Speaker 6: Because I'm thinking, I mean year ten when it gets released. I think it was an age where you couldn't I couldn't go down to video easy and just pick that up.
Speaker 5: I don't think.
Speaker 6: I think then I might have been not able to get an R rated one, or didn't feel good about getting an R rated film and bringing it home because we'd have to watch it in front of the family. Different times when you didn't have your own screen, there was one screen to share amongst all of you.
Speaker 5: Didn't feel good about bringing that back.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that was twenty years ago, But what about fifteen years week it would have been okay for you to.
Speaker 1: Watch an R rated film?
Speaker 6: No, I agree, because I was a Monty for a devid still around the corner when I was living in brand I just emptied it.
Speaker 5: I just emptied it of every it had.
Speaker 6: I was watching old films, I was watching everything, and I don't know why Heat was the one that just passed me by. I honestly can't figure out.
Speaker 2: Why did the idea because I remember when I saw it, and I saw it in the cinema, the idea of and it was highly publicized and all the hype was about De Niro and Paccino their first scene in a movie together. They were of course in Godfather too, but never in the scenes together, so because those two stories take place in different timelines. So this is the only time the first time they'd been in a scene together. I think recently they've been in The Irishman together, so very and that had me salivating. I was like wow, and I just could not wait. And apparently kind of on set they were just waiting to do that scene, like that was the scene they were waiting for.
Speaker 1: Did that? Did that like?
Speaker 2: Were you a fan of those guys that did that have any kind of like obviously you hadn't seen it, so obviously you went as time as I was.
Speaker 1: But did that play a hard?
Speaker 5: And then he thinking, yeah, because a couple of things.
Speaker 6: I to watch it on YouTube because I tried downloading it on iTunes and then something stuffed up on the download and then it's just on YouTube. I was like, okay, I'll stick that on the TV. I try to watch a big screen as good as you can get.
Speaker 2: I watch all these oh my guests, to watch all these films that I don't actually supply.
Speaker 1: Go find heat and watch it. Dave. They made me watch Shrek on his phone with his kids. They're actually you know, surrounded the phone, like he's just around TV. So, yes, okay, you watched it on YouTube. Yep.
Speaker 5: I mean it was that or a hold of vhs up to the light and try to go.
Speaker 1: Through the film frame by frame.
Speaker 6: But it's funny because I started watching it and I was and it's like, wow, two hours forty right, that's this is a big film. And firstly, and I hate it too, when iconic films like this then get replicated, kind of think about like Top Gun. But I'm like, oh, this is the first film that did it, because action films now they're kind of bother buy and by the Diamond doesn't I don't it sounds flippant, but you know what I mean, Oh yeah, it's a fight scene. That's every Bond film that's been made in the last ten years. You know, like you kind of yawn a bit when you're getting through all the initial parts, and I was a bit initially, well, the first half of the film was like, yeah, I've kind of felt like I've seen all this before. And then the dynascene hit because this cat and mouse game and usually that happens at the end of the film when they see face to face and then you get the final showdown.
Speaker 5: But this is they sit here.
Speaker 6: It's not they're holding guns at each other and like we finally see the whites of each other's eyes.
Speaker 5: It's this calm. Let's meet at a coffee shop.
Speaker 2: And the way it's set up where he gets pulled over, you think, okay, what's going to happen here?
Speaker 1: And he's like, you want to have for a coffee?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the cops saying that you know the criminal that he knows is chasing.
Speaker 6: And DeNiro puts his hand on his gun when he's in the car, like the house is going to turn out. We get the coffee, and that scene is just both of them with both barrels. It is Pashino at his best. De Niro is looking discuss that got that cliche de Niro look on his face like I don't know whether uh you know, I want to jump across the table and just punch your head in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well it's it's so the biggest e colomy you can give.
Speaker 2: That scene is like so many people you know, like would look so looking forward to that scene. It was so hyped and it completely lives up to your expectations. And what I'd love about DeNiro. I think we've seen Bachino in these kinds of roles before, but de Niro wanted to seeing him in and but both of them seeing them in an l A crime story as opposed. We associate them with New York so much, but to see them in an l A kind of Michael Man shoots la like nobody else does, but to see is a different kind of criminal than that de Niro had ever played, you know, like usually it's in Scorsese films and it's the mobster kind of you know, but this was like a really measured, you know, minimalist kind of performance that you know, he rarely smiles, you know, he's just he talks, he rarely kind of loses his ship, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if anything, Pettino is the loose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he's apparently he there were the character has a cocaine habit that it was taken out of the sea on the edit. So Pacinas, there's a lot of those bursts, and it's Paccino for Bucino in some of those.
Speaker 1: She's got a big.
Speaker 6: Ass Hankazario, he's the voice of most is like, oh, I love Yea in that scene and he's she's got a grown asst and you got your hair all the way up it ferocious.
Speaker 5: And his look is like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Well apparently ad lib that line.
Speaker 2: So Hanka's Aria's reaction is like juine what.
Speaker 6: Which is fair enough because you do look at it and you are going because I've since watched it again, just that thing.
Speaker 5: I looked it up on YouTube again. Just look at that scene. Yeah, it's really weird, like he's doing it.
Speaker 6: I get it to intimidate Hank's Aria's character, but it makes no sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, he goes for Pacino in that scene when he goes and sees Tone Loake's mate before I can see Tone Loak in there. Yeah, if a funky Commadena in the background would be nice.
Speaker 5: That ace Ventura that was Tone's acting tree.
Speaker 2: There are some like everyone speaks of about it being Pacino and DeNiro's film, and it is, but the cast like watching it now, you would have no doubt seen been spotting all along. I mean, obviously you've got Val kilma in Tom Seizemore is great, actually Jarred, but then these people like Jeremy Piven, a young Jeremy Piven, Henry Rowlands. Yeah, that Al takes out Henry Rowlands a little bit too easily for my liking.
Speaker 6: It's not as bad as The Irishman. When he's trying to kick the corner stores. Guy's heading and you can tell he's definitely seventy seven. That was a weird thing because I had watched The Irishman, but I watched it on Netflix. I don't think I did it justice and I couldn't get over how old they were.
Speaker 5: I know, I just couldn't get past it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I must say I had a different response.
Speaker 2: I sat down to watch I realized that if you look on the internet, there ways you can watch The Irishman, and if you're a bit time poor, if you don't want to sit down for three and a half hours, you can watch it in forty five minute lights and they show you when is a good time to kind of stop watching it and do it over like three nights about forty five to fifty mere minute installments.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 2: Must that was my intention to watch one, maybe two, and I just kept watching it and watching it and bridgement to better eventually.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I might just got watch a little bit more. And I just watched it all.
Speaker 6: So you were into it because I was actually babysitting for my neighbors. They're going out to something. I said, cool, kids were asleep. I'm just going to watch The Irishman. Take your time. But they came back even before the film had finished. I was like, you could have kept going. I still had twenty minutes left, so I didn't see the end, and I wasn't that locked in that I wanted to see the end. But the thing is, any reason I bring this up is because yes, in The Irishman they're so old, and there is a bit like and I was watching Hate and thinking, right, they're both now about fifty and is the last time you could actually go, yeah, they're good looking dudes.
Speaker 5: Yeah like that, you could say they're still heart throbs.
Speaker 2: Then, but you had a Facebook apparently just before filming. So but I mean, you're right, they look we've got we have we have probably comedy's best impersonator here. I wonder you Fortuno Sendla Dave Hughes. I wonder what that would sound like. I wonder, gee, you have a big gass letters of the rest of the podcast, like this man of many voices. But to get back to John Boight is in Hankazaria, Amy Breman, who was in Judging Amy. I think he's that show she was on Danny Treo.
Speaker 6: I think it's Danny Treo's first acting gig or one of the first, right, Yeah, because I did an IMDb plunge afterwards and they were saying, I think Michael Man brought him on because he wasn't the clink to say, oh, this is what it's like. Butylah, that's right, yes, and well you're perfect, which is how he's been typecast his entire career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he does.
Speaker 5: He looks exactly like it, like he's perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah for a crim Yeah, yeah, absolutely right.
Speaker 2: And Dennis Hayes, but Dennis has but when I become the President, the African American President in twenty four, he plays he's in a diner just on parole, and that shit ends up being the And what I love about this film is is that the moments. This is a good This is a good film that you know, like it's two and forty minutes. A lot of people say it's too long, or you know what. I don't like films that are over two hours so this is a great case for a film that rewards you for that time, like the effort. It could just be about Puccino and de Miro. But the relationships between Vell Kilma and Ashley Jarred. I mean that scene when he rocks up at the and you think, actually Jud's going to help bring him in and she just has a subtle hand gesture.
Speaker 1: He sees it and jives up. It's this it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: The scene where Dennis Hays but he's talking to his wife and the saying you know how bad he's been treated and you're going to see the pain he's in. Like that, those are the things as much as anything de Nero and Pacena doing that I think make this the classic that it is.
Speaker 6: Well, Yeah, because I also liked that the relationships because a middlely the female parts are pretty thin, like they're just there is like yeah, but that scene like with Velken Were and Ashley Judd, like he's you know, he's an alcoholic, he's a gambler. She's had enough of him. He keeps saying, I'll clean things up. She's obviously like it's hanging on by a thread. But that part at the end where he turns up, she said, she gives that subtle hand gesture. He wised he's not going to see his son. He's not going to see her. He has to leave because he's been told. That's that whole premise, isn't it of heat where they said, yeah, if the heat gets too hot, you.
Speaker 1: Have to walk thirty seconds.
Speaker 6: You got thirty seconds to cut everything and walk away. And here's that moment where he's like, I have to walk away, and he walks over to the guys at the basketball court.
Speaker 5: It's like, where can I think?
Speaker 6: He asks for like a diner or somewhere to eat, and he's trying to keep it together to be like, my life is gone now, Yeah, I have to cut everything. And despite the fact you've seen him go through all this shit, that's the reality of what he's had to go through. Yeah, which is good because then it's not just an action film. You're fleshing out these dudes that are going, yeah, this is the rod I've made for my back.
Speaker 2: Well, it is the best film I've ever seen about both sides of crime. You know you got yeah, I know Laura and Orders. He's on the TV as far as you know the you know a bit of the both sides or but heat is it's cops and robbers, but it shares screen time. And you know there's two protagonists, Veniro and Platuna, both protagonists, and it's it's it's such a beautiful film. What you said about the thirty seconds and you got thirty seconds when the heats applied to you to walk away. That's that's what again rise makes it rise about most other films. You know, it's just a very it's a very clear idea and you know, if you know, if you you know, I'm not sure when I first or if I start to think about it, but you know that's going to come up. That's going to be the dilemma that the character faces at the end, which which which it is. And you know, it's interesting that Denio kind of he does walk away obviously for you know, for his life, but he does and then to choose love in a way that it's really interesting that the bad guy chooses love and that the cop chooses work over his personal life.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a it's a really interesting thing.
Speaker 2: But that's want to play the part where that's first set up Velkilm with DeNiro.
Speaker 1: I think Tom size Moore.
Speaker 2: You know they're talking about where they continue and and this is the first time we hear the heat rule kind of explained.
Speaker 8: Remember Jimmy macaween and I just to say, you want to be making moves on the street, have no attachments, Allow nothing to be in your life that you cannot walk out on in thirty seconds if you spunk to heing around the corner an that.
Speaker 2: So there it is that it comes back later on when the two are the diner. And another thing I want to just point out, and let's get your thoughts on. I think when you're writing a film or coming up with a character, one of the things that makes like great characters. And every character needs not when I say every your main character, you're protagonist.
Speaker 1: They need to be good at something.
Speaker 2: You need to show the audience that this like look Sideways, which is one of my all time favorite films.
Speaker 1: Paul G. Marty is a slub.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, he's you know, he's hungover and the big scene and he's late for his best mates, you know, you know, weakened away.
Speaker 1: He's got to run out.
Speaker 2: In the street and his box of shorts and he's you know, he's kind of living a pretty you know, not a pretty grotty life. It's easy to have him as a slub and he's a failure author, But what's he got at He fucking is an expert on wine, Like he just knows whine, you know, like, and so you kind of relate to that. And this is in the Heat. They do it so well, and it's almos running back to back scenes. You got the Chino when he arrives in the crime scene and he just takes control of that crime scene like he is this happened, and this happened, okay, and that's what we're looking at here and this is this is what happened. Okay, this is And then the following scenes de Niro taking care of Wang grow and ad middedly Wang Graw does get away, but you can just see that he's a man. He's a man in control and he's really good at what he does. Yeah, And I think that's what I like. That's done so efficiently. I think in this movie, it's it's it's a it's a joy to watch.
Speaker 6: I also like it reminds me of his character in Any Given Sunday, where he's the coach of the NFL football team, and he knows he's given way too much to this. Yeah, you know, the whole way through, you're watching the disintegration.
Speaker 5: Of his marriage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and even like that again because Natalie Portman, who's also of course, we've got Legit thirteen fourteen or something, the.
Speaker 1: Second film, second film after Leon.
Speaker 5: Wow at fourteen, that's maybe more depressed about my career.
Speaker 1: But then we're not competing against Datlie Boden, I am. You don't know me.
Speaker 5: That's on my ambition board. I'll get there. But you know, at the end, obviously, yeah, she goes through some trauma. Spoiler alert. I guess this whole podcast is a spoiler alert, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then you should be listening if you haven't seen a film.
Speaker 5: We've said this what laughing?
Speaker 6: But yeah, so she attemds suicide round at his apartment while they're going through this separation, because you know, his wife understands that he just gives everything into just chasing these guys around, and he has that great speech where he's like, this is what keeps me on the edge is what I do.
Speaker 5: I have to be on the edge the whole time. But then they patch it up.
Speaker 6: Through that, and she wants to get it all back together, like you see what he's got on the line. It's not just some woman walking out and going, oh I've had enough of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And they're trying to bring it back and it's like those narratives are really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah that, and it's it's complicated it because you see and this is again showing you're you're gonna have Like we love flawed characters, but they've got to be good at something like Pacena's good at his job, is good at his job. He's not great in his personal life. He says it's a mess. But the other thing they do is just really is great. He cares, you see that he cares.
Speaker 1: About his stepdaughter Natalie Portman.
Speaker 2: And in one of the first scene you see him making sweet love with Justine I think is her name, and then he's, you know, down at breakfast he's inquiring about, you know, is this jerk dad gonna arrive this time?
Speaker 1: Does he? Does he know what he's putting her through.
Speaker 2: Another scene where during the shootout which we'll get to in US soon, that amazing shootout where Tom Seismore picks up a kid and De Niro takes her and he gets it, takes it.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 2: The Pacino gets the kid to safety, you know, like you see that he that he cares, which is also is really cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I do love as the films towards the end and his wife is having an affair with someone to just rub it in Pacino's nose, to be like, yeah, I'm having an affair because you don't care.
Speaker 5: You don't care about me, and he is just a tool.
Speaker 6: To annoy you and to piss you off, yeah, to finally get your attention away from your work. But that guy who plays it is the step dad and terminator too. You know, he's the one where the T two thousand comes and hunts down what's his name, Eddie Fairlong's.
Speaker 5: Like life, but he just plays that schlep.
Speaker 6: The guy that I am always interested in those actors that are just typecasting and they're always really lovely guys, yes, but they're now like, no, you look like just the leech of a human. You can be a part character that moves the narrative along.
Speaker 1: We don't even know your name.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the actor he plays Van San's Yeah, I know who you're talking about. Yes, so and he always plays the creepy guy with no morals. Yes, you know, often in a high rise. You know, he's a banker or something, and he's really great and these names on the tip of my tongue.
Speaker 1: But he is always so great at doing it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's always the Wall Street teflon suited. Yeah, like Prick, He's always like I hate it.
Speaker 5: I hate him.
Speaker 6: There's nothing about this guy that there's got good, good qualities about it.
Speaker 2: I wonder about those guys they go, why can't I play the nice guy?
Speaker 1: I can't play it?
Speaker 2: You know, like they probably love playing those roles, you know, they're often better roles, But why can't.
Speaker 1: I What is it about?
Speaker 2: What does it say about me as a person that when people see me they think, yeah, you're the slimmy Wall Street guy?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 6: I remember talking to Glenn Robbins about this when he is in his ginderbyne what's it No great Lantana Lana with Anthey Lapallia. Yeah, and when he walks in Glen Robbins, I remember being and that is an amazing film, beautiful. I was so engrossed by it, and Glen Robins talks in him and goes starts laughing because they're like, it's Glenn and he's playing a serious role.
Speaker 1: They expect me to do Uncle Arthur.
Speaker 5: But that's the nice side of it.
Speaker 6: I don't know what it's like to play that guy that you know that the sleees bag. But so many people want to get photos with you to say, yeah, I met him and I hate him. I just want to let him know that I really hate his characters.
Speaker 5: He must get that.
Speaker 2: His whole line absolutely so did you were you on a particular side? Like, well, what I think is really interesting in the movie, like when the shootout happens, is it's tense. It feels tense even though you're not sure whether you want them to get out or not or if you want I just wonder a few different people about some people have different opinions. Some people will want g Hear to be able to escape and get out alive, and yeah, right.
Speaker 5: I absolutely wanted him to.
Speaker 6: And when he takes that detour because he's like, we're home free, And there was a moment where John Voyd, who is he's kind of go between the conduit to all these crimes and sits back in his house, is going get everything's fine. When he says, Yep, you're home free. There was a part of me, so don't tell me he's working for someone else, because it felt like it was two Yeah, you know, I felt like they were going to pan out and Pasino's there with a gun to his head, like tell me where he is. But then you think you're free, and then he has to go and get way go and has to take it out, and I'm like, what.
Speaker 1: Are you doing this for?
Speaker 5: Like you've got the girl, You've got everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and how how good is I'm not sure the actor's name who plays Wayne grow but jeesus, he's he's a creepy dude.
Speaker 1: And who you want Denio to put a ball in his chest?
Speaker 5: What I mean? I always laugh.
Speaker 6: I think about this when I remember the first ever drama thing I did two thousand and seven for ABC. It's got Better Roses, And I think I got the gig because I kind of look like Kerry.
Speaker 5: Arms from like I've Got Blue Eyes. She's got blue eyes and that's good enough.
Speaker 1: And I was playing this band one Black Dress from Lantana. Yeah yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: Just a title.
Speaker 6: And I played this Ben Cousins ish off the Rails football player and I was like, I'll commit to this because I was young, and I was like, I just loved it when you'd hear actors would just go for it, and I'm like, yeah, I'll cut my hair, I'll die it, I'll get yellow tips, I'll looking sackly for football. And it was only after we've done a couple of scenes, so I was like, I have to live like this now. Like I was going to a friend's wedding, had this shocking haircut. You know, it's the stupidest thing I've ever done. Because I'm not a major part in this. There's no reason for me to do it. I'm not going against tight. No one's going well, he's really shaken up since his last role, Like no one knew who I was. And I looked at Wayangrow and he's a guy who is balding, but he's got long hair and it's flowing down to his shoulders.
Speaker 5: I'm like, wow, you've you're really committed, because that is a terrible haircut. You don't have to live your life with that.
Speaker 1: Long hair unless you had extensions. That's actually do.
Speaker 5: You think John Voyd he had extensions?
Speaker 2: Yeah, bel Kilmas looked like extensions. Well, Kilma. Yes, uh yeah, I think so. The ponytail, the ponytail, I was. I was quite happy when he got the haircut. When he arrives and he's he looks more like top secret.
Speaker 6: Val Kilma, remember we talked about this when you see come on this podcast and so I'm going to watch Heat, and I said, Val Kilma, because what an interesting career.
Speaker 5: Oh man, when he's doing Heat, he is red hot.
Speaker 2: That yeah, and he was making I think Batman Forever or one of the Batman films as you was kind of like making this as well like that, so it was you know, he was he was Batman, so you can't get any more white hot than being Batman.
Speaker 5: I loved it.
Speaker 6: I saw an IMDb and it did make me laugh where Danny Treyo is talking to him and he said, oh, I'm doing Batman Forever and they want me to do a sequel, but I don't want to do it because I don't want to spend my life wearing a mask. And Danny's so and thinking about that when Danny's just being introduced to the film industry is an ex connor who would be like, how good is this? How easy is it to make? Money in this game, if we're just doing this, and then he said, yeah.
Speaker 5: I got off at forty million dollars, but I'm not doing a sequel. Have you imagine like what.
Speaker 6: I said, Danny Treyo is also and he said, I don't want to spend my life wearing a mask. He's like, you're a bank robber in this you wear a mask.
Speaker 5: Heaps. He was like, he couldn't put it together. And when you look back at it, it's like, it's so true. For forty million bucks, I would and it's not your life.
Speaker 2: It's just for the you know, for the length of the shoot and as sometimes you're Bruce Wayne, so you're not even wearing a mask.
Speaker 1: Then I don't want to spend certain days wearing a mask.
Speaker 5: Because he is well I'm assuming he still is. He's an Actor's Actors NFL. Kilmer he went to Juilliard. He was like, oh yeah, and like.
Speaker 1: In this he's like.
Speaker 2: I heard Michael Mann talk about he'd watched it a couple of years ago again and the thing he noticed, he said, the one scene that he would take he was he said he actually wouldn't change that much of it, to be honest, and which is. You know a lot of filmmakers watched it in the garagees, I'll do things differently.
Speaker 1: He's like, I wouldn't change that much. He goes, actually the Ralph scene.
Speaker 2: He goes, probably didn't need interestingly enough, I do, like, you know, just being reminded of you know, those little TVs that used to have, you know, in our kitchens, you know that you could carry around with the other. Pacina takes with him and ends up kicking out of the out of the car. It's also a timing wise, it's also a good It's just that kind of period where we went from brick phones to like this smaller brick phones before like the flip kind of phones came came out.
Speaker 1: It was a nice tumblieve, But Michael Man.
Speaker 2: Was saying that he wouldn't he wouldn't change much. You'd get rid of the the Ralph scene. And what he really loved about watching at you know twenty you know, close to twenty years later, would have was watching the actor's eyes and how good their eyes are. And I might say I noticed it watching it last night in the in the Diyna scene, you know, the Nero and Pacino and that's like a master class. Even Tom Sismore when they've got Wayang grow into the diner before they try to kill him, and he just like looks at the guy in the cowboy hat because you know, they're everyone's underlook and he just kind of looks and looks him up.
Speaker 1: But Val Kilmer when again to go back.
Speaker 2: To that scene when he arrives, just like he just looks so wounded and and some of that he's got to be to make up, you know, like he's been in in a file or something.
Speaker 1: But it's not that.
Speaker 2: It's like he just even his body language's almost like stiff, like he saw you know, and and his eyes looking up to Ashley jarred like that.
Speaker 1: Just when he gets out of the car, he's happy to see her, and then.
Speaker 2: He realizes something's not right and he kind of like turns around and he starts asking for directions.
Speaker 1: You know, you faking.
Speaker 2: It's just like there's little master classes that are all through this this movie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because the little acting that I have done, I realized stillness.
Speaker 5: Is incredibly hard.
Speaker 6: Oh, because they'll say you've got it, You're doing it a two hander. How many times are you having a conversation do you sit square to the person and look them dead.
Speaker 5: In the art.
Speaker 6: You don't do it in normal life. You look away, you look around, you're kind of it's very hard to do. And they're like, you have to lock in here, and especially with the film, if they've got a closer, it's your head.
Speaker 5: You can't really move an inch. Moving looks weird.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so you're locked into that, and you say, the expression just has to be these little parts.
Speaker 5: Of the eyes, the smile or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And yeah, that Dyna scene, you're like, especially because realistically the whole way, DeNiro is obviously on the back foot and the diner because you know, it's Percino's idea to invite him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's he's a criminal talking to a cop.
Speaker 6: Yeah, totally, and he's sitting there with disdain, like how much do you know? Because Pasino is starting to realize how much DeNiro knows.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because that's the cat and mouse thing of that back and forth.
Speaker 6: So Pashino has got to be aggressive and Pasino but not move that much. Yeah, he can't be he can't gesticulate wildly. The camera's really on him.
Speaker 2: Hard, absolutely absolutely, and that in fact, let's have it listen to a part of this scene where again that thirty second rule the heat coming on you is brought up again.
Speaker 3: Okay, told me one time, don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in thirty seconds flat. If you feel the heat around a corner, Now if you're on me and you got to move when I am more, how to expect.
Speaker 1: To keep her a marriage? That's interesting point. What are you a monk? I have a woman? What do you tell her?
Speaker 3: I tell her I'm a salesman.
Speaker 2: So then if you spot me coming around that corner, you're just gonna walk out on this.
Speaker 1: Woman, not saying goodbye.
Speaker 3: That's the discipline.
Speaker 5: That's pretty vacant.
Speaker 1: It is what it is.
Speaker 3: It's that are we both got to go do something else about.
Speaker 1: I don't have to do anything else.
Speaker 2: Neither do I.
Speaker 3: I don't much want to either, neither do I.
Speaker 2: Really interesting thing about that scene they didn't rehearse that scene at all. They requested not to rehearse it, so they set up to characters basically crush shot it, which means you got a camera engineer and a camera on pacino. Sometimes you do one side, then you cross and do you turn around and you do the other side, but they actually just cross shot it the way we're being cross shot. Now, hey there, And this apparently the shot that the scene it's in the movie is almost one take and it's like take eleven and that's the one they.
Speaker 1: Used. But it has to.
Speaker 6: Be because even the background, I'm like looking at all the movement in the background, it never changes beat because you see so much activity, Like you couldn't you couldn't cut to another scene because people would be just slightly different.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I didn't seen the movie for a little while before, I watched it again last night, and I in my head, I forgot that it was such a busy kind of place. Like in my head it was like a little almost empty diner, not quite empty, but you know, almost empty diner. But it's actually quite a you know, it's quite a bustling a place there and apparently closed a few years ago. That place it was still open and obviously kind of tried to make the most out of This is the table that I think table seventy one, this is where the scene happened. Yeah, closed down a couple of years ago, but.
Speaker 6: It truly is to have it in the middle of the film that they're aware of each other. They're kind of at a poker game showing the cards to each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're like, we're still going ahead with this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this kind of like weird gentleman's agreement, like you know what I'm going to do, and he's like, well, you know what I'm going to do.
Speaker 5: So here we are.
Speaker 2: And it sets up because you know, like I said, well, you know they're going to meet again. It'sn't like you know, they do say you know, or maybe we'll never see each other again. Yeah, it's a great thing to say, but we know because we've seen enough movies.
Speaker 1: To know they're going to meet again. It's not like, actually it was true. They never actually saw each other again.
Speaker 6: They said this was out in two VHS's this is my half oss Internet research again, but they said it was on two cassettes, and so when you watched it, the final scene of the first cassette is the dint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was beautifully timed because it.
Speaker 6: Is because you are like after that, because that's why I did feel up until that point like it was it was good, it was okay. Once Pisena finds out that he's been gamed a bit by them. That's really not wrinkle and a twist, yes, but when they're in the dining how because even for me watching it on YouTube, you know you can pause, you obviously look at how much and I'm like, now half the film left, what's going to happen? You know, it's impressive storytelling?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely for me, Like, and I think once you maybe watch it the first time and maybe if you thought, okay, this could move on and you know, it's It's interesting. This has come up quite a bit in these podcast session watching older films, and even I noticed that when I watched like films from the seventies, like watching a conversation years ago Francis for a couple of film Geene Hackman, great film, but even like the opening scene is just like you know, like a city square and the cameras kind of moving you know, around and kind of spot people like that they're being spied on.
Speaker 1: And it just feels like it goes for so long years like oh, come on, hurry up.
Speaker 2: But like and I thought, like, you know, in the eighties and on the ninety six we kind of started getting a lot faster with our films, but it's come up a lot. Even David, he was saying, we Shrek, me thought that was slow, and that's like it's like a ninety probably a ninety minute film. Maybe it's maybe one hundred minutes. But I think that Shrek move's hat a quite a good pace.
Speaker 5: Yawn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I Thinkrek's always a bit of a master class and storytelling. But this, I think, once you know, if you've watched it, and you have the confidence and you've probably been you've been told it's a classic and you should watch it. Once you watch it, you can probably go back and watch it again and kind of appreciate knowing that it gets it does get.
Speaker 1: You know, you can be impatient when you first watch a film.
Speaker 2: I watched a joke Whaquin Phoenix, and I say, I was like, you know, and I spent a few people with thought the same thing, like you about thirty forty minutes in going oh, come on, okay, we get we get it. He hasn't got friends and he gets you know, you know, come on moving along. But then you watch it and you know where it goes, and you know, I thought it was amazing.
Speaker 1: Phoenix is amazing.
Speaker 2: I watched it again, and I was like, totally comfortable with the pace that it actually had.
Speaker 6: It's hard because a lot of tropes have been told, like he's a taxi driver, so it's the original man just just devolving into insanity. But because that story now has been told over the last thirty years, you're like, yeah, yeah, he's going nuts. Yeah yeah, So you don't You're right, you don't have the patience for it. What I was amazed with Heat is that I've noticed when before digital came along, because now with digital you can cut so quickly move things because it's not going to cost you any more. Film we've got gigabytes mega but whatever the hell is of space.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Your fancy terms day. Please.
Speaker 5: I would never get a job at jbhip. I got nothing to fall back off.
Speaker 6: But you know, with film, it's obviously like, well, yeah, it's going to cost your money. You can't just keep filming. But I was amazed. I think that Michael Man was trying to shop it around to get someone else to direct, and I was like, You've done a really good job directing it. It does cut and the action that moves along quite well, and if anything, I'm like, oh, Wow, you've Michael Bao is a dead of gratitude, I think to you, because it's kind of he took the mantle then and went right, Well, the camera's now on the ground and it's shooting up and we're shooting down and we're gotting all this, you know, which Now I think sometimes I couldn't watch the Transformer films because I'm like, it's cut too much.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 6: I can almost can't figure out what's going on. It's just the CD and everything.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of those films. Yeah, it's just it's just a lot of DC films.
Speaker 2: I find like it's like people some critics complained about Star Wars being too busy the latest Star Wars film, which I must say I loved, but I thought it was quite considering what those films can become, I thought it was quite. I had a real sense of clarity is what was happening? And and yeah, the let's say, the battle scenes, the war scenes, whatever you want to call them, compared to the filterization a lot of those d C films where it's just like it's just like kind of you know, filtered kind of explosions and it's you know, it's so much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I got halfway through Michael Bay's film, the one on Netflix now that it's not Untouchable five or something like that.
Speaker 5: It's got Ryan Reynolds in it, right, yes, it's I was like, this is too much. Yeah, it's too much. Like it's just an action film from Woe to Go so much.
Speaker 6: You know, blood splitting here everywhere, cars just ripping through this cobblestone streets of Venice and just almost hitting everyone over and round tables as people are in the in the square, and.
Speaker 5: You're like, oh man, all right enough, you get it.
Speaker 1: That's what I love.
Speaker 2: I loved about The Avengers Civil War? Was that an Avengures film Civil War is a great one?
Speaker 1: Or Captain America Civil War? Was it anyway? Whatever? Whatever, whether it was an.
Speaker 2: Avengers film where technically a Captain American film, whatever it was, that scene at the airport is it's what I love about. It happens during the day, and a lot of these movies they put them at night because they're a bit more kind of they can look nice in the shoot. They can have lights in the background because you know, to put lights in the background, you know, is you know, the heat does have a lot of lights, a lot of lights. It's in Los Angeles and they.
Speaker 1: Use that really effectively.
Speaker 2: But to do action scenes sometimes you can hide things at nighttime and you know, but they do it in daytime.
Speaker 1: I think is really cool.
Speaker 2: Which also in heat, to come back to heat, that shootout scene is just such you know, those are I think the two things to get spoken about that the heat. The Denner Appatna scene and the shootout scene has become like a real kind of classic. It became this also film was a huge influence on Christopher Nolan and then The Dark Knight. He's kind of like he borrows some stuff from you know, a heat with the highest and robbery stuff that shootout. What do you think of the shootout scene?
Speaker 6: Man, I loved it when because also I like that the final heist, it really shows Dannio's character as well.
Speaker 5: What I liked.
Speaker 6: He gets into the bank, they pull their masks down, so the guys give me the keys. But then de Niro explains that he does everyone go down. Any money you get stolen now you're going to get it back on insurance, so it's not going to hurt you whatsoever. Yeah, And it's like this whole thing of you understand, this is where we sit now. So so don't be a hero, because so many times in films is always a security.
Speaker 5: Guard that tries to be a hero.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it shows his planning, so he nipped that in the bud also shows his empathy where he's like, just we can get away with our stuff, you can get yours.
Speaker 2: But the other thing he says is if you if you need if you're taken heart medication or something like that, shit up against the wall.
Speaker 1: Yes, like and that's and that's what I made that works.
Speaker 5: In twenty twenty. Yeah, well lines if anyone's mopping, put a sign down, put some that's really great.
Speaker 2: And that shows again like the way but you know, you know he's protectively stepdaughter and the girl in that in that you know, like de Niro, he has a code of honor, ye know, like he doesn't like when Waane grow takes those security guards out of their first security guard, which leads him to take the second and third security guard out, like there's no question he's gonna have to be gotten rid of because this is not the way we operate.
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly, and even think you know, when he's reading the play Velkilma wakes up in his house and his house has got nothing in it.
Speaker 5: I love that too.
Speaker 6: His house is this spacious thing in Malibu or wherever the hell it is, and you realize behind him there's no glasses in the cabinets, there's nothing in the kitchen.
Speaker 5: He's like, if I have to go, I go.
Speaker 2: And that is and I made that note because that is such when people you know who maybe just watch movies and they don't think they're taking things in. These are the things that go into making a film like this that you probably realize on a subconscious level like this is he lives a minimalist last style because his whole thing is exactly what you said thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: I have to go, I have to go.
Speaker 6: And then when Valcima wakes up and he's what's going on losing gambling, you can see the wheels are coming off for his friend and he's like, sushi, have you got a thing on the side is like no, tas and he's like no, no, of course not, and he gives him a coffee. And then there's that scene that's when Hankazari comes into the movie where he finds out there having an affair at this bad motel. Yeah, and how he then corners Ashley Judd and that code of honor again where he's like, I get it, he's a clusterfuck. Yeah, I get why you're cheating on him.
Speaker 5: Just stop it.
Speaker 6: If you do it again, or if he does something wrong again, continue, He's almost like, these are the rules, the moral code that I've lived by.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a beautiful scene. I think it's one of my favorite DeNiro performances.
Speaker 1: I really, I really love it. I really love how kind of still is.
Speaker 2: You know, even the scene with Amy Bremham and Edie I think that the characters name is they meet and he's just like, lady, what are you what because he thinks, you know, she might be a cop or that you know, Yeah, he's probably learning about metals because it's part of his job, you know, because they want to break into safes and you know, and when he discovers that she's just actually trying to make conversation, he apologizes and he starts talking to her, and then you know, they make sweet love.
Speaker 1: Not long after them, of.
Speaker 6: Course, because it's it's funny. You'll see, you know, when he's younger. You watch like Raging Bull and Denio plays in his boxer and when they're coming to when he's young, he's a loose cannon. He's throwing plates around, he's cheating on his wife, you know, and then it cuts back to him as an old man, regretting some of his actions doing whatever.
Speaker 5: In heat.
Speaker 6: It's funny because at his age he's quite gristly and sharp, like he features all like he's got that hook.
Speaker 5: The nose is almost like an eagle.
Speaker 6: It's like very straight, and he looks now so much more like he's been through shit. Yeah, And it's a perfect time for him and heat, because he does look like a guy's like I've seen stuff. These rules weren't just made up. I made him up so I can survive the world that I'm in. Yeah, so everything and like I mean people doing those poliche impersonations of dinner where you pull back and you pull your face like what are you doing?
Speaker 5: What are you doing here? But really in that diner you can see him like I'm sizing you up.
Speaker 1: More than anything, it's sizing him up.
Speaker 2: And I my read on that is that he sized there's they're definitely sizing each other up, knowing that one of either I'm gonna probably you know, there's a fair chance I'm going to kill you, or you're going to kill me, you know. And I think there is a sense of like, yeah, trying to sizing up, but there's also a sense of this guy is actually really good at this job. Like this guy, and you know, we would actually probably be friends, yes, in another life.
Speaker 5: Yes, like if we're on the same ledger, if we're on the same side of that ledger, Yeah, we would be working together.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and there's a mutual respect yeah, of those guys totally when you know the scene preceding that where they're out at shipping yard, yeah, yes.
Speaker 5: And Danner sets it all up so that, yeah, he knows the cops will.
Speaker 6: Come through in fifteen minutes time and he can get a photo of and see who they are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then's like.
Speaker 6: Ah, we've been had, we've been had, an he kind of in his idea, he was almost happy, not happy, but ah, this is who I'm playing with.
Speaker 2: He keeps I'm saying that these guys are good. Even when he gives up and he thinks they're going to go that bon voyage motherfuckers. You know, like these guys, these guys are good, are too good. There is that respect. And even when he does that, and the Nero's got him on camera taking the shots, he smiles as well as one of the very few times he smiles, so he kind of goes, yeah, this guy, this guy's fun, this guy's you know, he.
Speaker 1: Knows, he knows that there's a game going on here. Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's like yeah, because when he goes, they've won it, They've got it. It's like a you know, tennis player after a five set match. He's just gonna go, yeah, I gotta shake your hand at the net because we both got to the end of this game, even though I didn't win.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, there's absolutely respect, and there's.
Speaker 1: That respect you know in the diary.
Speaker 2: Absolutely It's like watching you know, Bob Murphy interview text Perkins. You know, just game recognized this game. They played the same game. But they're both got excellent at what they do.
Speaker 6: You know, it's like, you know, your complete encyclopedic knowledge on film and my baseless impersonations.
Speaker 2: We can see my knowledge on film is not ensychopedic, but I I and I did do a bit of deep diving. As you know, we mentioned we spoke off here that you know, because it's it's it's impossible not to you kind of like you're watching it, you're going to go, yeah, I want to know more. And one of the great joys about doing this podcast is kind of going back and watching the films I hadn't seen for a while. I mean, like I said, Heat, the films we've done so far is probably the one that I've seen more than any of the other films that we've spoken about.
Speaker 1: But it's it is fascinating when.
Speaker 2: You're kind of watching it, usually watching it for fun, but with slightly more analytical and there's a thirst for knowledge about what what kind of happened here? And Michael Mann like this was a really sweet spot for him because I think he made Last the Mohicans before this, then he made Heat, and then I think I think I got this alder right The Insider, which is another incredible film. You love inside it it kind of just got shades of like Moneyball in a way, it's got closer to Moneyball than something like Heat. It's in that it's a story that you're going to go, how is this, why is this being made into a movie, you know.
Speaker 1: But Russell Crowe is brilliant. Paccino is in it again.
Speaker 6: You know, there's one thing because I'm surprised I'm watching it. I'm like, it's really stood the test at time. You can watch it and yes, this thing is like the technology on the phones and whatever, but I'm still it's still very good.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but the soundtrack is hilarious.
Speaker 6: That's anything that dates it because there's a lot of just you know, solo guitars going well where on, playing off these little parts so that there.
Speaker 5: Is going to senuate the emotion.
Speaker 2: There's a been of Mobi in there as well. Moby has a couple of tracks in there. I think maybe before he was kind of Moby like, you know, like as big as he became. I think his explosion was a couple of years later. I quite like the soundtrack.
Speaker 1: I love the sound track at the end, that kind of the score towards the back. But I do know you made that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think when he's probably driving before he kicks the TV out, there's maybe some guitars, there's a bit.
Speaker 5: Of that going on. But I also like the la aesthetic.
Speaker 6: It reminded me of T two terminated to it reminded me of a lot of that. It looks great when the big all the freeways in the background.
Speaker 5: The big wide roads.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it looks very still, very kind of there's a grittiness to it in New York has a different vibe to it. But it did look good or it might like die Hard, you know, it's got that talk about it in that area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think he shot with wide angle lenses and it just meant that he had just a different kind of look and everyone's kind of in.
Speaker 1: Place on us.
Speaker 2: He's really close to the characters. But yeah, then he made I think Collateral Ali and then Collateral and then he kind of pretty as a great run of five films right there. And then he made like Miami Vice and he kind of it kind of and then he made a film there might be one or two after Miami Vice because he was he basically was he made Miami Advice. Yeah, and then he made the last film he made was I think twenty fifteen, a film called black Hat. I think it was called, which is about like cyber kind of crime. I think I think Chris Hamsworth was was in it because I remember going I had good for Hamsworth, like my Michael Mann film, and I must say I couldn't get through it and it didn't go very well. Whether he just was a bit too much for him to bite off and true as far as how do you do cyber crime? It's interesting how don't they just didn't? It didn't quite work, sadly, but that was the last tie we made, so hopefully there's another one around the corner.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: I always liked the ideas when you go on deep dives, especially on DB's and Monty for this. Who would have played roles if they didn't get those because they wanted Pisino and de Niro stayed out of the gates fair enough, but they had to have Plan b's, of course.
Speaker 1: And what were some of them? Do you remember?
Speaker 6: It was pretty funny. Some of them were Don Johnson. He did say ye Ye, which is which would have been great probably for Don Johnson's career, if I gotta be honest.
Speaker 5: A couple of them were weird.
Speaker 6: I think was Mel Gibson and Jeff Bridges.
Speaker 5: That's odd.
Speaker 6: But Bell Kilmer's character one of one of the most could have been County Reeves.
Speaker 7: Oh yes, yeah, I mean you can possibly imagine that that kind.
Speaker 5: Of I mean, I mean it was it's so hard to go, you know.
Speaker 2: And when we had Dave on Neil talking about Shrek, we kind of because Chris Farley was originally supposed to play Shrek, yes, and then he died and then he was unavailable. But then there was also.
Speaker 6: Acted how you talked to now speaker like he died, so he's unavailable.
Speaker 5: That's in our world, that's what happened. Unavailable is probably worse than death.
Speaker 2: Another actors start calling their agents going Farley's dead, What roles was he up for?
Speaker 5: During the eulogy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then Nick Cage and I don't think I even mentioned this during that podcast, but Nick Cage.
Speaker 1: Was going to.
Speaker 2: Play was offered Shrek, but then he didn't want to be portrayed as an ogre.
Speaker 1: And he has since any regretted.
Speaker 2: It, of course, but not realizing you realized how animation works.
Speaker 1: It's not unique, and it.
Speaker 6: Has to be the sweetest gig ever, because if it does go into sequels, as we all know, you know, then that's when you can charge like a wounded bull all your agent can.
Speaker 5: Surely it's very easy.
Speaker 2: Surely, well, we did discussing that I've done a very minimal amount of voice work for a movie called Stalks. I won't go all into it, but it's a very smart you know how they go, this is an Australia. We'll give them Australian a role in the Australian market, oscillation market. And it is like, it is tough because we're talking about how good Eddie Murphy is is Donkey and so good.
Speaker 1: It's such a joyous role, and it is it is.
Speaker 2: It is a voice acting is really tough.
Speaker 5: It's a skill onto itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when it's done really well. I mean sometimes it just needs you to act. But when you're doing, when you're actually like inhabiting a character and doing a voice, you know it's maybe not your own like Steve Carrellas grew indespicable me.
Speaker 1: It's an art form.
Speaker 5: Man. It's even because people could dismiss it.
Speaker 6: You go just reading words, which I guess is acting as well, but now the words are actually just in front of you, so you think, oh, well, what have you got to do and you're yeah, but one year in that booth, the world's really small. Like when I used to do twenty to one, the seminal clip show that was on Channel nine.
Speaker 2: Which seems to be hosted by a different couple each but eighteen months.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm sure Channel and I doesn't care that I'm talking out of school like this because fits hip with the ones before us and I did it with Aaron Molin and it was great. But they'd be like, oh, you can just use the same scripture, like, it's not the same. We're not two mates, two dudes hanging out. I can't, like, you know, I can't say that. It was almost like the level of let him write it, but it was almost like a you know, if you tell a joke and then there's a nut punch involved in Like.
Speaker 1: No, we're not.
Speaker 5: It's not the same relationship. You can't just plug it in.
Speaker 6: But because we would do because there's twenty two most amazing animals, twenty one biggest effects on a movie, whatever it was, you have to do so many voiceovers and be three hours of voice over. Yeah, plus she was in Sydney, so there was a second delay in my earphones when we had to work together. It was some sort of insanity.
Speaker 5: Pete.
Speaker 6: You would get to the end of that three hour session and you are it sounds weird, but your brain is fried.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to sincerely get to it, because.
Speaker 6: Those actors would have to do hours upon hours of it. You it turned you into it. It's a level of insanity.
Speaker 2: Well, I've just, in fact, last week, done the audiobook recording for the latest Frankie Fish book, Frankie Fish in the World, World Mess, and you're very good in stores in stores now, I can say, and so's I do it over two days and it takes about six hours, and it and I had to break up in two days one because it must schedule. But it was also I don't think I could do longer than three hours. Like you just end up, yeah turning, your brain just goes to mush. You are just like reading it and then you are you know, you're trying to get the characters kind of right.
Speaker 1: And it's funny.
Speaker 2: The first book we and you wrote it, I wrote it and then my words and the first book we did the it was in Scotland a lot of it and the grandfather in the book is Scottish and he's still you know in the book mentions that he still speaks with a you know, a Scottish accent, because let's face this, they don't lose their accents, and he so bloke he was recording it with me and the producer.
Speaker 1: I said, do it a Scottish accent? Now, I know.
Speaker 2: Dave thought, when it comes to accents or impressions, if it maybe you should do the audiobooks for me. Uh, And I tried one and it was like I remember, like it was down. It wasn't I knew it wasn't good. But I walked into my son's room and he had a playing and I was like, I'm never doing an accent again, Like that is this embarrassing? And I'm really glad I made that call because the next book was set in China. I'm really glad I dropped the idea of doing accents. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be doing this podcast. In fact, maybe I would be doing Maybe the podcast is the only thing I'd been doing.
Speaker 5: We better move some units, guys, this career is over. Oh yeah, there's no good.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, one question I do like to ask, I guess what was the first film you saw?
Speaker 5: The Labyrinth?
Speaker 2: Sarah, go back to your room.
Speaker 1: Play with your toys and your costumes. Forget about the baby.
Speaker 6: In Pixie cinema in Geelong where I grew up, we had the Village Cinema. They were obviously showing the big guns and Pixie Cinema was the only independent cinema in.
Speaker 1: The first film was an indie cool, very cool.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 5: I yeah, and what's the Labyrinth? Which it was very scary.
Speaker 6: I remember it's still I remember watching it again and going, yeah, of course I'm scared by this. This is a bit gnarly, like it's a twisted imagination, which for a child is not elite.
Speaker 5: And then you know at the start of it.
Speaker 6: There's animals that are picking their heads off and swapping it with the other animals or these creatures, and you're like that, that's that's a full on concept. That's a full on concept that they're taking those things out. And Bowie plays a great part, but he you never know if he's right or wrong through the whole film, you know, because he's he's.
Speaker 5: Sitting on that line of yeah, is he for the princesses?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 5: Not for the princess They're doing all that kind of stuff, and it's.
Speaker 6: Got all those ideas that were inspired by Esha. You know, that's kind of you know, you're walking but then that is it a wall?
Speaker 5: Is it a floor?
Speaker 6: Like it's it's a real noodle twist for a child. You are just like I was hiding under the seat. I remember being really scared with that. But it's a great film, like a lot of those Jim Hensoon ones, which is early CGI doesn't stand the test of time, those puppets. Yeah, my daughter, my three year daughter can watch it.
Speaker 2: Now, what do you you have two daughters one year old and three year old, and one year old is probably you know, sitting in front of whatever you want to anything in front of it. But what are you watching? Are you watching any movies with three year old yet? And what are you looking forward to watching with her?
Speaker 5: I have we started watching films. Sunday afternoon is film time?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Through both don't call him, don't call him on a Sunday film time.
Speaker 6: Sheer laziness on my behalf. You gets into the week like I can't be by the parenting anymore. So we're going to flick this on. And we've watched a lot of dream Works films, Kung Fu Panda, she loves kind of food Panda and that is a great film, great, very good Shrek. We did you just talked about it with dave O Neil in the last app But it's a great film.
Speaker 5: And watched Shrek too.
Speaker 6: It's funny because in those movies my three year old will sometimes walk away after an hour.
Speaker 5: Because he's just sits three.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, no, I don't want to see the end of this, even if I've seen it. I need closure. I can't just stop it here.
Speaker 1: I saw like Toy Store.
Speaker 2: I saw a lot of these films before I had kids, Like you know, like Toy Store probably came out in ninety five or maybe the same year re Heat, perhaps six, and I saw in the cinema and I loved it and want to ants by myself.
Speaker 1: And I went and saw really good so too Shrek. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I hate to say it because Seinfeld is obviously any comedian would adore Seinfeld.
Speaker 5: B movie is terrible.
Speaker 1: I don't you know. I don't think. I don't think I got through it all the narrative.
Speaker 5: I realized I can understand a stand up going through that.
Speaker 6: Maybe I'm drawing maybe conclusions here that aren't there, But knowing that he works with Larry David on Seinfeld, and maybe Larry took a lot of that you know, the spine of the narrative and was knowing this is in the middle and end, because you know, as a stand up you learn how to write a joke, not a narrative, and I felt it with B Movie. I was like, this is it's gone off in areas You've made it really complicated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jerry Seiford doesn't.
Speaker 5: Listen, I've realized now out loud, I'm like, there's any situation.
Speaker 2: I thought that the portion of the B Movie that I watched was was amazing. I can't wait to see.
Speaker 5: The rest we can edit. This is this going out live?
Speaker 1: What are we doing out live? And then Jerry subscrib Oh god.
Speaker 5: That is what am I doing. It wasn't his fault. His arm was twisted by who.
Speaker 1: One last one?
Speaker 2: I want to make about heat before we before we wrap up it and thank you for your time.
Speaker 1: Is that the end? The end of the film, which is great.
Speaker 2: It's it's you know, it's beautifully made, the airplanes and the lights, you know, like you feel like you're in that kind of moment and how difficult that would be. You've got these containers around and you know the unpredictability of when the lights is going to come up or use and should I should point out all this was done in real locations.
Speaker 1: There's no no studio stuff, no sound stages.
Speaker 2: I imagine, Yeah, I imagine because imagine they wouldn't have had because I'm shooting at airports is problematic unless they set this up somewhere else. So that wasn't actually at the airport and they you know, they had this planes kind of coming in, but they would have had the Yeah, they would have had the time to a degree.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because there's some white shots. It's definitely the airport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I have to say, I think Neil McCauley, he's actually based on a real character. He's actually where characters the story doesn't necessarily match up, but they were inspired by and there was a guy called Neil McCauley.
Speaker 1: And but the Nero's character, it kind of sucks up.
Speaker 2: You kind of shits the bed as far as that lasts, because he's almost got because you remember Pacino Vincent is he's almost out in the open and the lights come up on him, is exposed. Yeah, the Naro is going to behind the one of the containers and he kind of comes out and then Pacina's a better shot, so he takes him down. But if you had it, you would you such a master criminal. And he's you know, he's good with a weapon. You think the smarter move would have been not to come out. Just put your arm around, maybe put your head around and take him out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shut the bed.
Speaker 6: I agree with you, because you've got you've both got handguns. You've got a finite amount of bullets. Yeah, somehow coerce that out.
Speaker 5: You're not on the clock?
Speaker 6: Back wait it our like, Yeah, I do agree with you because I mean, of course it has to end.
Speaker 5: Get on that.
Speaker 2: I've never thought of it until I watched it last night. Yeah, I've seen it ten to twelve times.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in a you're right in a movie that is doing the cat and mouse back and forth, back and forth, hes trumping each other with their ideas, tricking each other, gets.
Speaker 1: To the end.
Speaker 5: In your it's just a simple rookie mistake.
Speaker 1: It's Rocky Era.
Speaker 6: I suppose he was on the clock. He's trying to get back to that plane, isn't he. So I mean DeNiro is like, I need to get back to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you killed the blake first, and then you know, I mean, if you have to delay your fly You delay your flying.
Speaker 5: It's so true. You're trying to get to New Zealand or whatever the hell he was going. Yeah, this guy's on. You've got a bucket load of cash. He's go, bro, just wait at the airport. I'll get here's another thousand bucks.
Speaker 2: The driver will wait. They're very they're very friendly. Kiwi's they will wait. You can make other arrangements.
Speaker 5: That's at that time. I don't think they even You would have been their first tourist, their first ever in ninety five.
Speaker 1: This was Peter Jackson the Ring, so we hadn't discovered New Zealand.
Speaker 5: They would have bought Queenstown. Who would have been sitting on a nest.
Speaker 2: Egg sitting pretty mate, Thank you so much for watching a two and a half hour film for this podcast on YouTube, and I do appreciate it. You're a great mate and a fine comic. Go see they thought live whenever you can, at every opportunity.
Speaker 5: Hopefully supporting Jerry Seinfeld.
Speaker 2: So yeah, if Jerry's listening, he was clearly Joe.
Speaker 1: We all know that. One more one more husy for us on the way out.
Speaker 5: Did I really love being It was great? It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: So that you have it another you ain't seen nothing yet in the can. Thanks so much us DOINGO for watching a two and a half hour film. Let's you know, this is a podcast that, uh you know, demands a little bit more than other podcasts, and we appreciate it putting the time in to watch it. Thank you so much. I want to thank everyone who's been listening to the podcast. We are getting such great feedback and we are stune by the amount of people who are subscribing and listening to We urge you to keep subscribing, keep favoriting or rating it, whatever you need to do. So many great emails and I just want to read a couple out. Actually this is from Cane Conway. He says, I loving the podcast. I just want to say that the Matrix is probably my all time favorite cinema experience. A common thread seems to be the age and circumstances you saw the films and how important they were to you.
Speaker 1: That has come up quite a bit. Well surprised that the reaction from both you and Kitty.
Speaker 2: My internal dialogue was screaming the explanation of how it all works. Despite that, thoroughly enjoyed the pod was very entertaining. He also recommends The Fifth Element as a movie we should find somebody for.
Speaker 1: That does not surprise me.
Speaker 2: Kine that they will be yelling at their devices as Kenny and I fumbled our way through the Matrix, but I am glad he's still found it entertaining. There's another message from and Anna Ratcliffe. Hopefully I've got somewhere close to your surname. Anna, thanks for emailing at Yasney Podcast at gmail dot com. And that says thanks to the Bad Podcast. I listened to all the episodes this week. I'd love to hear a deep diet on O brother where art thou one day. It's one of her favorites that she's dished on. How some fresh I see it as I watched it too often. I have only seen that film once when I came out, and I remember being a touch underwhelmed. I'm a big Coen Brothers fan that I would welcome the opportunity to watch it again, maybe with some older eyes, and maybe maybe I could.
Speaker 1: Maybe I win with different expectations than what the film was.
Speaker 2: And also this and this made me laugh and also said, if you see Kitty, please let him know the reason the human batteries in the major I said, given fake for realities is because the machines found less of them died this way. I saw the Matrix at the cinema one morning after night at clubbing with a st so after most sleep and still shipping, I was heavily invested in the storyline and understood it deeply. Perhaps that is the secret. That's my favorite email I think we have received. You ain't see nothing yet. Thank you so much, an suspects you might be right. Also heard from Ryan Shields. I actually worked full disclosure. I worked with Ryan at the project that we spent many a budget lockdown in Canberra together, and I just wanted to say He's thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. It's a wonderful celebration of the films people love and the different ways we all appreciate film.
Speaker 1: I'm particularly loving.
Speaker 2: The threat of how childhood films follow people through their lives. On a recent trip to Canberra with my own kids, I did an extra lap of the roundabout outside Parliament House just so I could scream look kids big, then Parliament in various stages.
Speaker 1: Of delirium age just two and four.
Speaker 2: They didn't get the reference they'll be making sure in time they will keep up the great work.
Speaker 1: Look for to more apps. Thanks Brian for to hear from you, buddy, and thank you. Yes it is. I love the.
Speaker 2: Little community we are already building with this podcast. It means a lot, So Yes Ne podcast at gmail dot com is where you wouldn't need to send your letters.
Speaker 1: Also, please let us know where you're listening from if you write to me.
Speaker 2: We've seen the data, we know they are listeners all around the world. Summer expats some of this discovering this podcast and the people and the obviously strain comedy scene largely representative on this, so let us know where you're listening from. Thank you to Derek Meiers, my podcast manager, Carsway Studios dot com dot AU, Circustreet Sounds, Tom Jimmy for your boutique audio needs Circumstreet Sounds checking them out. Also Dan Murphy's thanks for being with from day one. Also, thank you for helping us get through this lockdown on stage four in Melbourne. It's a pretty heavy lockdown and we couldn't have done it without you. Well I couldn't anyway, So thank you to everyone for listening. Next week on the show. It is a cracker. It's one that I've been really looking forward to doing. We've done a lot of films recently, the Matrix Hate, though I guess not moves in the nineties. We are going further back next week with an absolute undisputed classic Casablanca next week with my co star on howse They Married, the wonderful Nikki Brittain. She's a delightous, hilarious, the powerhouse down up comedian and actress, and she will join us next week to discuss the Humphrey Bogart classic Casablanca.
Speaker 1: Until then, see yea.
Speaker 2: And so we leave all Pete Fansel and to our friends of the radio audience.
Speaker 1: We've been a pleasant, good time.
Speaker 2: H