Speaker 1: Here at two Good Sports, we would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we record this podcast. There were innerie people. This land was never seated, always was always will be chow or as the people say in Croatia, where I have also been, Hi and welcome to sports sports news told differently.
Speaker 2: Guess what it's me.
Speaker 3: I'm Georgie Toney Yay.
Speaker 4: And I'm Abby Jelmy, who essentially behaved like a jack rustle when someone got home today.
Speaker 2: When I saw Georgie, I was so overwhelmed. I was spinning in circles, just running laps, just didn't know quite what to do with myself. Because you've returned.
Speaker 1: I have returned a tinge of brown after months months. Let's be honest, I think. But that's really lovely of you to say that.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I do believe Jeremy's words to me this morning were you look well so the rest of our friendship. I must have looked like a half dead corpse. But that's okay, that's okay. You just need five weeks in the Italian sun and then everything is healed.
Speaker 2: Give us a good sport about the trip, Oh.
Speaker 5: My gosh, good sport about the trip.
Speaker 1: I have to have to give a round of applause to a very very unique thought, which is that Sicily is.
Speaker 3: Real nice, really recognice. I think I'm actually you.
Speaker 4: Discovered a little known place I think.
Speaker 3: I have, I think I have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, I expect big things for that place, especially a place called Talmina. I think it was in a show called The White Lotus. But anyway, loved it, absolutely loved it.
Speaker 5: Every the people were lovely in Italy.
Speaker 1: The food actually my biggest good sport, just to pasta, whether it be or a keaty, whether it be to aloney, whether it be just spaghetti.
Speaker 2: They call it the city of Love. You fell in love with.
Speaker 1: Calves honestly every single meal, every single meal and involved some kind of carb.
Speaker 3: And it was the best of time.
Speaker 2: No one ever goes and goes, oh it was underwhelming. Oh didn't love it? Yeah, never didn't love it.
Speaker 3: Never.
Speaker 1: It was so incredible, so incredible, very fortunate that I had an amazing time and I survived the thirty hours of transit back to.
Speaker 4: Me and I still managed to watch the Brisbane Lions win I did, and the Panthers win again again again again.
Speaker 1: I did, And this is going to be the most obscene sentence I may have said in my entire life. But I watched the Brisbane Lions or win the flag, which I predicted two months ago on this podcast.
Speaker 3: Go back check the tape you did I did?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 5: Remember I said I don't believe in anyone, therefore they're gonna win, and they did.
Speaker 1: But I watched them win the flag in Lake Como with George Clooney.
Speaker 3: He was somewhere. It wasn't with me.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: So the problem with you is that you actually interview people like George Clooney. So I just thought, did you actually find George Clooney?
Speaker 3: He was around, he was around.
Speaker 2: The energy was there, Yeah, the energy was there.
Speaker 1: The energy was there, and it was the greatest I watched the Panthers game.
Speaker 2: I think it was. It was.
Speaker 1: I was on my way to Milan the Panthers Storm game, and yeah, I was with Robert, who was a massive Storm fan.
Speaker 3: So it was a sad train trip.
Speaker 1: We kind of kept losing signals, so we'd be there and he'd be like Stormer in front, and then we'd come back. And that was early, early, early, early, and then I was like every now and then we'd come back in.
Speaker 3: I was like, it's not looking good.
Speaker 4: Oh George, you've missed her so much. From the beautiful city of Melbourne. It's glorious weather.
Speaker 2: As you noticed.
Speaker 4: I don't have a teen because none of me has seen the sun ever. But I will start off with my good sport being Laura Sperway and the way that she pulled through in your absence.
Speaker 2: But also she's just a gun.
Speaker 4: She's an apprad gun, so again on the AFLW yesterday, her knowledge is amazing.
Speaker 3: She's an encyclopedia and she.
Speaker 4: Worked on the project as well before she worked at seven, so she's basically a hybrid of us.
Speaker 2: Yes, but she's just a rock star.
Speaker 4: And were so grateful for her literally moving around her schedule when she was in different states to cover from grand finals in order to come in.
Speaker 2: We love Laura.
Speaker 1: It was herculean and it really was not gone unnoticed. And thank you very very much, Laura. We so appreciate it, and you were freaking amazing. The goodest of sports, the goodest of sports, the goodest of sports.
Speaker 3: Jellmy, we have so much to get through.
Speaker 1: Today because another very very good sport, one of our all time favorites, I think it is fair to say is our main discussion of today's episode, and that is mister Raphael Nadal, who broke our hearts and I'm going to say the world's hearts recently by announcing that all good things actually.
Speaker 3: Do have to come to an end.
Speaker 2: And he's retiring the least surprising sports retirement perhaps in history.
Speaker 1: And if there was part of me though that thought that he was an X man and we actually we're going to see him playing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were going to see him play till he was ninety two.
Speaker 3: I thought it could be possible.
Speaker 2: Do you know what the saddest thing is, I was like, what retirement has hit me more? Ever? Feders?
Speaker 4: Oh god, So even in retirement, he's still he's on the podium, but fed still got him. But we're going to talk about of course, rafaun Adhal. We are still going to see him. He's going to play at the Davis Cup in Malaga in Spain.
Speaker 2: So it's this beautiful full circle because of course.
Speaker 4: Spain and Spanish tennis will never be the same after Rafa and his career that has spanned three decades.
Speaker 2: It is just remarkable.
Speaker 4: But we're going to get to all the stats, why we love him and our memories of Rafa and Adhal. In a very too good sports tribute coming.
Speaker 3: Up, tell me, where does one begin with a poem?
Speaker 5: Apparently, spoiler, you're correct, it is with a poem.
Speaker 1: In the most too good sports tribute to Rafael Nadal, I have donned my pin. It is a clickie pen, because that's my favorite type of pen. But I digress this. Here's a few little words. Fiddle stanzas that I have dubbed an ode to Raphael n is for never say die. At thirty eight years of age, his body finally said enough because we all know his brain and his heart. Never would A is for ass crack.
Speaker 2: Because his name.
Speaker 5: I couldn't call him what all never has nor will again. The tennis world sees such expert wedgie picking in.
Speaker 3: Such high definition.
Speaker 1: Rhythmic d is for distractingly neat. Watching a raffa timeout is like watching a military drill. The discipline with which he selects what water bottle to drink from and why and in what order, and the placement of them back upon the court was more precise than the Beijing opening ceremony in two thousand and eight fun fact he won gold at that game's coincidence. A is for arm, namely his left one. That limb is a beast triple the size of the right. It's a wonder he continues to be allowed through airport security with such a weapon.
Speaker 2: A mudcrab, if you will.
Speaker 1: L is for loss to the game of sport and sue our lives. But that's actually too sad to think about, so instead I'll say L is for legacy. Nadah was Tennis's raging bull, stampeding his way to immortality, but he will continue to be like his good pal Roger, the ultimate sportsman, showing as possible to win with humility and carve a classy path for the next generation.
Speaker 3: Just ask Carlos al Karrez.
Speaker 2: We love. Oh there were highs and lows there.
Speaker 1: There. I've got a question was asked, crack the high because the wedgie picking and the eyebrows.
Speaker 4: Eyebrow, But but back to eyebrow, where you picking the balls?
Speaker 5: How many times he was bouncing the ball?
Speaker 2: It was mesmerizing, it really was.
Speaker 4: But you speak of Carlos Alkaraz, and we're going to get into a little bit of the stats around raph and Odal and why he basically broke math.
Speaker 2: Yes, in his history, he's the.
Speaker 4: Only player to be world number one across three decades.
Speaker 3: Mental think about that. I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't in the time of Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray as well.
Speaker 3: I'm going to count him in there.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's cute. It's a big three. It's a big three. No metal. I love Andy Murray, but there ain't no metal for four.
Speaker 4: When you think about stats in tennis, those three figures have broken the system.
Speaker 3: Yes, in men's tennis.
Speaker 4: In men's tennis, absolutely, Serena, we see you and welcome to the table. But before the Big three, you had the names like Pete Sampras who'd won fourteen Grands. Yes, and he was the god Rafa one fourteen just at the French Open.
Speaker 1: I still actually don't quite believe it. I mean, fourteen years. Imagine that's that's half of our lives.
Speaker 3: Fourteen years. Imagine if we of our lives just winning Grand Slams, for sure.
Speaker 4: But remove Clay from his twenty two and he still has the same number of Grand Grand Slams as Andre Agassi.
Speaker 2: And Jimmy Connors. He can't he can't, so I think.
Speaker 4: Like, don't get me wrong, he is the king of clay, yes, but sometimes we can simplify Rafa to just being a clay court specialist, yes, which he was, but he also lost four Grand Slams to Federer, yeah, and four Grand Slams to Djokovic. So can you imagine if all of these three weren't trying to dine out at the same time.
Speaker 1: And twenty two Grand Slams in total, fourteen of which yes on clay. However, what made him so specially you're right, Jelmy is actually his ability to play across the courts. Yeah, he was so good at hard court as well. When he broke through and won his Wimbledon, his first Wimbledon, I think that was when the tennis world took him very, very seriously, and it's like they should have been taking him seriously far beyond that, but that was the moment when everyone went tip the hat, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, you are not just a clay court specialist.
Speaker 4: But of course Wimbledon is a mere three weeks after the French and it's like someone the difference between the clay and the grass.
Speaker 2: To win both is just unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. And yes we know him as the king of clay.
Speaker 1: And also I do want to point out just how difficult it is to win clay, namely because you have to beat Rafae on the dal in the.
Speaker 3: French Open and the Europeans.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but Novak Djokovic, in his illustrious career, has only won three French Opens.
Speaker 3: Roger Federer, what do.
Speaker 2: You know why?
Speaker 4: Rafa was there saying can someone hold my bag or my drink bottle in this particular order please, because I'm about to get to work.
Speaker 2: But you speak about that.
Speaker 4: So before he won his first French Open in two thousand and five, a then seventeen year old Nadal came head to head with Andy Roddick.
Speaker 6: The dumbest thing I've ever felt in my life was happiness because imagine this statement. The happiness that I felt because they subbed in Rafa Nadal to play against me on clay, the single dumbest thing I've ever felt. And going into that, I'm like, oh, yeah, he could. You know, he could grind out. He's gonna be good. I walked off of that court that day, had a chance in the third set, missed a passing shot by quarter of an inch. You know, you look down, you circle the mark, do the whole thing. Let a third set breaker get away, and this kid in the fourth set closed the coffin on me. I lost it six two and third. I was two in the world at the time. I walked off of that court and I said, Planet Earth, that tennis Earth has a fucking problem.
Speaker 2: Just andy on it going.
Speaker 4: I don't like this kid that I was happy to come out, just absolutely made.
Speaker 2: A mockery of me.
Speaker 4: We got a problem because this kid's going to be around for a while.
Speaker 2: And he was seventeen.
Speaker 4: And I think the thing about Nadal when he first came on the scene, and bizarrely, we all remember when he first came on the scene because he was so good from so young. Yes, was he was quite shy and this humble champion, And I think he eventually grew into himself.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think it was one of those moments where I'll always remember his arms first, because when he came out as a seventeen year old, he wore the sleeveless singlets, right, and he looked so cute.
Speaker 2: How old were you twelve? Oh young, You're so young.
Speaker 3: So it's okay.
Speaker 5: It's allowed, it's allowed.
Speaker 1: But also because he didn't speak that much English Wish at the start of his career, and so I think he was just naturally very shy anyway. But then when it came to the postmatch interviews, we couldn't really see too much of his personality because he was very focused and he was trying to obviously translate everything into English.
Speaker 3: Of course, so that he could come across. Yes, you get the far bro. He's like, he's thinking, he's thinking, so yes.
Speaker 1: After the coffin clothing that happened to Andy Roddick, I still didn't really know anything about him. He was an unknown name here in Australia. He was taking on our latent and you have to remember early two thousands, Laton here was like number three in the world. He was favorite for the Australian Open.
Speaker 2: Hat's foot backwards everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of come on, yeah, the come on.
Speaker 1: And he made the final in two thousand and five Layton here, that's how good form that he was in. But on his way there he had a five set, four hour epic with a teenager named Rafael Nadal and I was like, who is this guy?
Speaker 3: Why is he so good.
Speaker 1: Why is he making Layton he would run around so much? Why why is he able to do that to one of our greats? And it was because we could see just the incredible skill from that young age. And then a couple of months later he went on to win his first Grand Slam.
Speaker 4: And the Australian Open was by far his worst slam. Yeah, oh yes it was. He didn't love playing in Australia, not like Novak, who basically is like hi, honey, welcome home. It was one of those ones where he really in twenty twenty two, that's one of my favorite memories because he had no right. He came in with very little form. But because it was Nadal, we all vamosarappa, we were all on board and there's just those wins. And I do think if not for Roger Federer, and we have to talk about that romance because it was one of the most enticing.
Speaker 2: You couldn't not love them.
Speaker 4: But the only reason why Nadal's not everyone's favorite athlete is.
Speaker 2: Because he was in the same time as Roger.
Speaker 1: I am on the record as sleeping on Nadal despite me seeing him play at Layton Hewitt. In terms of my love for Nadal. I refuse to like him for the first five years of his career because he beat Roger Federer at every single turn, and Roger Federer was.
Speaker 5: My idol, and I was like, how dare how dare you Rafa?
Speaker 1: And I refuse to look at his incredible top spin. I refuse to look at his insane forehand.
Speaker 2: And the fact he's the lefties. So that's the thing he'll never be.
Speaker 4: He won't be replicated by other players because you have to be left handed to start with.
Speaker 1: He had so many weapons in his arsenal. And also I would say he is among the greatest defensive players that we have or will ever see. I think Novakdjokovic is number one. But in terms of his ability to be able to keep the ball in play, he is a big man. His fitness levels, he doesn't he's six' two, yeah, yeah surprisingly till.
Speaker 3: Tall, yes, yes you don't think.
Speaker 4: It it's shocking when because you just don't think that he's that.
Speaker 1: Tall one of the sad POINTS i think it will always be a regret of my life IS i never got to see him play.
Speaker 2: Live really, yeah the, idea.
Speaker 1: Look at your little. FACE i got to see him walk past me in a Packed Australian open crowd when he was, training AND i was, like that man is, huge surprisingly, tall and it's always stuck with, me But i've never actually got to see him play.
Speaker 4: Live the most upsetting moment of my life is THAT i actually got an offer of tickets to The remember.
Speaker 1: The Roger fadah twenty, Seventeen stop? IT i, thought stop it my greatest tennis much of.
Speaker 2: My one SHIFT i had At Fox Sports. News to.
Speaker 4: Add that to the the volumes of times THAT i probably shouldn't have put worked fast and potentially should have got on a flight To victoria to watch.
Speaker 2: For daal like.
Speaker 4: But you also think about that, Final but then it was actually when The Nadal federer final At wimbledon as, well which everyone thinks back to, you AND i think it was two thousand and eight that it was just it just, began AND i actually Love there's a wonderful grab From roger where they sort of ask him and they say who do you like playing the? Least and he, goes, Oh Rafa, nadala and he goes who do you love playing the? Most and he Goes rafa And nadal and they've just got this. Beautiful and if you haven't watched The federer doco about his own, retirement you must because those pictures that went absolutely viral of the two of them bawling their eyes out and holding hands literally holding hands courtside about the fact that it was an end of an.
Speaker 2: Era you see the build up to, that you see them in the locker.
Speaker 4: Room And, federer even in the wake of all of, this has come out and, said you, know we're different. People we're very different, people and we have very different styles of. Things we just have this overwhelming respect for one. Another Because nadal apparently if you get him on a topic that he's quite passionate, about he's a dog with a.
Speaker 2: Bone oh, yes like, that like his competitive, argue his.
Speaker 4: Point and that's the other thing as, well is that they say With, nadal his ability after each point to mentally reset was.
Speaker 1: Unparalleled don't you think, though that that then is symbolized or represented in his little. Idiosyncrasies, yes so he has to do everything in that certain way because that's part of the process.
Speaker 3: Of him being starting, again him wiping.
Speaker 1: It and you talk about the respect That federer And nadal had and have for each, other and the locker.
Speaker 2: Room they've created for the next.
Speaker 1: Generation, yes two of the most competitive athletes that we have ever. Seen Roger, federer one of my favorite quotes from him from him About nadal was that he, said tennis is a tough.
Speaker 3: Sport there are no.
Speaker 1: Draws if there, WERE i would have been happy to accept one and share it With.
Speaker 3: Raffa.
Speaker 5: OH i.
Speaker 1: KNOW i think that those two have added or responsible for adding so much value and worth and.
Speaker 3: Hard hard cash money dollars to. Tennis just to their own.
Speaker 4: Poets i'm into their own, pockets but in the nicest, like, yeah he, ain't he ain't gonna have a rough.
Speaker 1: TIME i think the doll ends up his career WITH i think it's like somewhere in the area of one hundred and thirty five million dollars just prize, money wild just prize.
Speaker 3: Money it's it's.
Speaker 1: Incredible the legacy that he's going to. Leave we talk ABOUT i Mentioned Carlos alcoraz in my high art acrostic, poem.
Speaker 4: Who will absolutely be playing next to him at The Davis, cup and we saw him at The. Olympics and the fact they both warm up by doing that psycho.
Speaker 1: Jump, yeah if there's No rafe on the.
Speaker 3: DOLL i don't think there is A, Carlos.
Speaker 2: No there's.
Speaker 4: Not and there's all those beautiful photos of, them like literally when he's knee high to a, Grasshopper, yeah getting a photo with his. Idol and then they go on and play doubles at The, olympics which is just. Incredible But i'll leave you with this, One george. Yep at every, tournament Whether nadal won or, lost when he was eliminated from the, tournament he would go and find the officers and shake everyone's, hand whether that was the, timekeeper whether that was the person that ran the lunch and sort of say thank, you thank you for having.
Speaker 2: Me and he did it his entire.
Speaker 4: Career and there was a great quote THAT i saw that was apparently overheard in one of the lunch rooms where one of the work.
Speaker 2: Is, like, oh there's that guy.
Speaker 4: Again he's always so. Nice he remembered me every. Year what was his, name and the other person's, like That's Raphael. Nadal like he was that person that went out of his way to treat people like. People and no matter how wealthy he became and how, big and you simply can't get bigger in the world of. Sport as we, said the numbers and especially the dominance on clay is something that we may never see.
Speaker 2: AGAIN i don't think we.
Speaker 3: WILL i don't think we.
Speaker 1: Will it's it's a legacy THAT i feel may never be. Matched dear, Listeners it's time for all of our favorite.
Speaker 3: Segments it's fun fact time. Now gelemy AND i.
Speaker 1: Actually think we sometimes don't tell each other what fun facts we, found, yes because we want to react with you And jelmy AND i both came into today's record with a fun fact that we're dying to tell each, other and looking At gelmy and knowing her, brain we think we have the same one as.
Speaker 2: THEN i just. SAID i was, Like i've got a fun faction it's actually About.
Speaker 4: Raffer and she's, LIKE i have one that's About raffer AND i was, like, interesting, Okay and we check the. Notes i'm, like it's not in the notes and if it doesn't come up in the main.
Speaker 2: Chat so we're gonna one two three and just say it and see if it's.
Speaker 3: It, okay, ready.
Speaker 2: One one two?
Speaker 4: Three, oh it's, Different, Okay i'm gonna go first to Go, OKAY i love this fun.
Speaker 2: Fact, OKAY i love. THAT i was, like shut, Up i'm going.
Speaker 4: First in his entire, career, yes never broke a racket out of.
Speaker 2: Frustration that makes sense to. Me he.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't he. Wouldn't he is the ultimate nice.
Speaker 2: Guy i'm, sorry from seventeen years, Old, yes he.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't. Roger everyone forgets That Roger federer.
Speaker 2: Has a bit of a that's.
Speaker 1: Temper he was breaking rackets for sure in The Swiss, alps.
Speaker 2: Which is probably WHY i loved.
Speaker 1: Him but, rapha now he's too he's too.
Speaker 2: Lovely never broke a racket in his entire career out of. Frustration that makes sense to.
Speaker 3: Me that makes sense to.
Speaker 2: ME i thought that was the funnest.
Speaker 4: FACT i just, went there's no way as a seventeen as a petulant seventeen year, Old i'm breaking.
Speaker 1: Everything maybe it could be rivaled by my fun, fact which Is Rafael nadal is not actually left.
Speaker 2: Handed, okay what, yeah, yeah he is right.
Speaker 1: Handed, well he's ambidexterous, technically but when he was, younger Uncle, tony who was his, coach had the Ultimate Mastermi. Nadal when he was playing, tennis he was just, like, oh hang, on you're kind of stronger with your left, hand and then they only trained with his left. Hand from then, on he eats.
Speaker 3: With his right. Hand he plays golf with his right. Hand he kicks a football.
Speaker 4: With, poorly ALTHOUGH i must say his swing looks. Horrendous he currently plays off scratch random THINGS i don't know. About do you know his swing for someone who's amazing at, tennis looks.
Speaker 2: Awful and yet he's so dedicated.
Speaker 1: Because stressed to seeing him left handed that he is not a left.
Speaker 4: Hander so you're telling me one of the most famous left handers in world sport is in fact not a left.
Speaker 2: Hander that's.
Speaker 3: Right he wouldn't go to The simpsons, leftorium that's for, sure useless for.
Speaker 2: Him. Useless he can buy regular.
Speaker 1: Scissors well that's fun, fact that's that's good for your, Retirement raffa to send the, scissors.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 2: Is i'm.
Speaker 4: SHOCKED i am. Shocked well, Done, george you have absolutely killed. That welcome, Back welcome, Back.
Speaker 3: Thank you very.
Speaker 2: Much oh, YEAH i just feel sad for.
Speaker 4: TENNIS i know that we're done with the main, chat But i'm STILL i know we still get to see.
Speaker 2: Him we have to have A Davis cup.
Speaker 3: Party, yeah we, will we.
Speaker 1: WILL i think the world needs to what the world needs to, do because what he has done for this game just can never be.
Speaker 2: Underestimated, no, yeah and what you've done by coming back can never be. Underestimated so thank you for, Returning.
Speaker 4: GEORGE i was about to do the, outro but you do it because you're.
Speaker 2: Hosting i'll do.
Speaker 1: Word thank you for listening to do good. Sports this has been an iHeart. Production it's so wonderful to be. Back of, course remember you can always follow us On instagram at Two Good Sports. Podcast let us know how much do you Love? Ruffa where do you sit in the fidal? Standings are You? Fetterer are you? Raffer could you actually Be Team?
Speaker 3: Djokovic let us. Know we'll catch you next, week but until, then be a good.
Speaker 2: Sport