Speaker 1: Hello there, Welcome to you, and Seeing Nothing Yet the Movie Podcast. We're our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests comedian musician Scott Edgar.
Speaker 2: All below.
Speaker 1: I want to stay here with you. Get to the jobble, Why snake, shock, why hail? They couldn't be happening right so?
Speaker 3: You don't seen nothing here.
Speaker 1: Scott Edgar or Scott as of Tripod will know him is a bloody funny man. He is clever. He began actually studying a graphic design for Memory, and he had a lot to do with the early aesthetics of Tripod, not only contributing obviously his musical talents, but a lot of the imagery they were putting out both on stage and in their artwork for Memory and Gatesy. You might get onto me about this and say that I was wrong, But for Memory, a lot of that was Scott, because I know he has gone on and is a screenwriter for animation and also games. In fact, how's this? This may be the first Grammy nominated artists we have had on. You ain't seen nothing yet? That's right. Scott was with Gatesy and Yon. We were recently nominated for a Grammy and went over there. I cannot wait to chat to him about that. I got the first note Scott on the very first Melbourne International Comedy Festival road show. It was just in Victoria and it was myself, Tripod, will Anderson, Karin Grant, Keith Robinson from New York, the Great Keith Robinson icon of American comedy, and Ross Noble and Nat King. Not a bad bloody line. I wasn't and I remember being in the Torago traveling through towns like Sale and Horseham with Scott and Scott He's intelligent, he's funny, he's insightful, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today. Hello.
Speaker 4: My name is Scott Edgar and my three favorite films are thor Ragnarok Okay.
Speaker 1: I thought the world are you? I thought I'm going to find signed by side forever. But at the end of the day, you're you and I'm me. I know, maybe they're still good at you, but let's be honest that paths diverged a long time ago. Tutsie Casha, I'm treid, You're not right, But why am I not? Right, mister Carl Hayle. Well, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Trying to make a certain statement here, and I'm looking for a very specific physical title I wished.
Speaker 1: To call it. I'm an actress.
Speaker 5: I'm a character actress.
Speaker 1: I can play this part anyway you want. I'm sure you want to.
Speaker 6: Just if you're a little bit too soft and genteel, you're not threatening enough.
Speaker 1: You're threatening enough.
Speaker 5: How's this?
Speaker 1: You take your hands off me to meet your ball right through the roof of your mouth and school of row dew.
Speaker 5: Now, in the end of time, there was a man who knew the road, and the writing was written on the stone. And then a thin layer of fog comes in around my ankles. Roadies, that means dry eyes.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about this later.
Speaker 5: In the ancient time, an artist led the way, but the legend of the rent was way past you.
Speaker 1: And until this week, I hadn't seen the film Step Brothers. I'm not gonna call him Dad, Brennan, you're thirty nine years old. I would not expect you to call him dad. Well, I'm not going to ever. Even if there's a fire, better not get in my face. I'll drop that motherfucker.
Speaker 5: Jesus.
Speaker 3: Brennan suppose Nancy sees me coming out of the shower and decides to come on to me.
Speaker 1: I'm looking good.
Speaker 3: I've got a luscious bee of hair going from my chest pubes down to my ball throll. She takes one look at me and she goes, oh my god, I've had the old bull. Now I want the young calf and she grasps me by the wind.
Speaker 1: Fuck up. It seems kind of ridiculous to provide a synopsis for a film like Stepbrothers. Some films need a few paragraphs, a few sentences to explain their intricate plots. Not so with this movie. Will Ferrell and John c Riley, Brennan and Dale team up to play two men in their forties who are staggeringly stupid and who were still living at home with their parents, Mary Steinbergen and Richard Jenkins Nancy and Robert, respectively. When Nancy and Robert marry them, men are forced to put aside their differences and find the things that unite them, especially when Brennan's brother Derek visits Adam Scott in full Dick mode. A script by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay from an idea by those two and also John c Riley, directed by Adam McKay. Stepbrothers has become a comedy classic and one of Ferrell's out and out funniest Scott Edgar, have you ever put your nutsack over a set of drums or any other instrument for that matter.
Speaker 4: Well, what they don't tell you is that's actually quite normal behavior in the musical world, if you want to get someone's attention. We actually did, Terry Bile. This is honestly, this is true, Pete. We had this thing of like, if you do that, make that mistake, you know, say that thing again, like once someone makes a mistake twice. The third thing is if you do it a third time, I'm going to show you my ass. That's your punishment. Thank you've only had to We've only had to resort to that punishment a couple of times in the dressing room.
Speaker 1: Well, you follow through. You can't make a threat parenting one O one. You can't make a threat like that and not follow through. Oh yeah, maybe maybe think And I'm not sure if I would have released this vision at the moment, but I did the recent episode of task Master, which I can entertain soon. If not already on depending on when this episode goes. Were and so Tom Cashman is he's the task master assistance, so it's fair to say when you're doing the task and Tom Cashman personally is a lovable guy and a fun guy. Sometimes he can get on your nerves. He's not helping, he's give you the information he want you want. So when we were filling the studio, we got his whistle and we basically all took turns myself, Aaron chan Conjetta, Curisto, Reyes, Nicholson, mel Battle and basically this put the whistle in rude parks and filmed it. So we are going to release the vision at some point we think there's no nuts sacks as well.
Speaker 4: Congratulations for making a career out of that kind of behavior, you know, which is fairly relevant to the will ferreal topic we'll be covering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will, we will. We dive too much into it, but why step brothers. It is like a cult classic, so it rees me well on release, but it really it became I think I sold like four million DVDs.
Speaker 4: It's insane, isn't it. Yeah, it doubled it's money. I mean it was like sixty something budget sixty million, May one hundred and forty or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, for me, it's just that thing of like I had somehow become convinced that this was a gap in my comedy education. This was this was an un you know, a comedy classic for the ages that I had somehow missed.
Speaker 1: And maybe that's all just because the title.
Speaker 4: Kept coming up on Netflix and it just kept reinforcing for me that there's this thing I haven't seen. We'll get into whether or not I was right about that, yes, but yeah, I look, my main concern preparing for today. And I don't know if you get this a lot, but when I was a kid, I was absolutely flabbergasted when my parents could get halfway through the film and then my dad would go, no, wait, I have seen this, Like that was just out of that was inconceivable to me that you could get through a film, you know, that far into a film and not and not have any memory of it until then and.
Speaker 1: More and more, that is how I roll. Yes, I understand that now.
Speaker 4: And so I got to the end of this and thankfully I either hadn't seen it or had entirely erased it from from my from May have played a part the natsak Maybe where does Will Ferrell.
Speaker 1: Sit in your in your brain? As far as his influence on pop culture? How funny you find him? Where does he sit? I find him incredibly funny.
Speaker 4: I think I think he probably has a He's got a very specific thing he does, and it's very much on show here in this film. But you look, I mean, you can't argue with his with his film, not only his filmography, but the things he's been associated associated with as producer over the years, like his company Session Succession for example. I mean, what you know Funny or Die. He was a founder of Funny or Die. So the guy has you know, he can go to its grave having knowing that he you know.
Speaker 1: He's one of my favorite people. Yeah. Like and I've had the pleasure of interviewing a few times and be in the room with him and being in cars with him. In fact, I introduced the campaign filmed Galtha Macus and yeah, I ended up going with him and you know, to their and back fin in the limo. And and he is, first of all, he's one of the nicest guys. Yeah, he's a lovely fellow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which you appreciate having been in showbis for a while, when someone turns out to be actually nice.
Speaker 1: Well I think I think there's the guys who work get the success. A bit later in life, Steve Carrell is the same. Strell is as nice, you know, and I won't have every right not to be. But you know that in that Hollywood system, you can understand not everyone carries on like that. But I just think he always brings the funny I give him. Sometimes I go, okay, if I'm going too far into like what's the meaning? It's just like what would Will Ferrell do? Like and my my comedy festival posters, like it was a year where I kind of thought, Okay, everyone's kind of doing these rockstar posters. Everyone's on David Bow or Bono or something that's guilty. Yeah, let's do funny posters, like remind people comedies that we're here to be funny. Yeah, And so I really kind of thought, and Will Ferrell was on my mind.
Speaker 4: With that, like this, he's one of those comedians that quite obviously has a really strong sense of vocation, you know, what is here to do?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, but the insight for me was when he showed up on Rob Mcallaney's the football show Welcome to Wrexham, and he came along to one of the games and they followed him around and you could see that he inhabited that role of everyone he met. He would make them laugh, he would be warm to them. He really stepped into that kind of he accepted the responsibility that he created for himself of delivering on that, even on an interpersonal level or.
Speaker 1: Even with interviews. He's very funny. But when he was on Rogue Live a few times and he's with John c Ry, I don't think maybe it was actually for step brothers, now that I think of it, but they came on with the Olympics around that year, which actually would have been two thousand and eights. It would have been for their brothers, and they came I think Steve Steve Hooker, the pole volter something maybe maybe yeah, maybe Steve look was the oh sorry, Steve, so much information may have when I did this podcast, We're gonna lose half your audience. I wasn't expecting Steve who going to come up to that. They came on with with with a pole vault, you know, in Australia tracksuits. Yeah, and another one that came in these matching Gucci tracksuits. So they all like Will Ferrell always, particularly there's night show appearances he does in the States, always brings something that he could have come down to Australia and phoned it in and just phoned it in and they're funny. They're funny enough guys to do a funny interview without the tricks, but no, he goes to the effort of making it special for that show.
Speaker 4: I'm in order of people with that kind of energy and focus and application, you know. I feel like Steve Martin's one of those, Like there's always some something going on, some.
Speaker 1: Gimmick, you know.
Speaker 4: Hugh Jackman does a lot of that too on the Tonight shows, and stuffy something he's you know, he's thought about it.
Speaker 1: He's not just lobbing up.
Speaker 4: You know, we all know what it's like, you know, who've toured a lot and stuff to just be knacked and load into a taxi and not quite nowhere you're supposed to go next. Yeah, I left my phone in the hotel room, and you know, all this kind of other stuff and then you show up and blink and ask.
Speaker 1: The person next to you what is this and what I'm I supposed to be? And what city am I in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know like people who who still manage to bring it every time, Like you say, I'm just blown away.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: He's really good in Australia doing that is the working dog guys. Yeah, I reckon. They always don't necessarily do the dressing up and all that, but they're always like you. Hear Tom Gleisner be interviewed, you know about the upcoming season of Have you been paying attention? He's always got gags, always got gags. Yeah, yeah, Okay, let's do at your three favorite films. There's some good ones here.
Speaker 4: Look they're a bit arbitrary, but it's what I thought of. It's those are in my top team.
Speaker 1: The most recent one is THO Ragnarok. Why that one out of all the superhero movies you could have chosen?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Well, look, it's it's a cracking adventure tale. It really focuses. It manages to combine the sort of epic cosmic kind of you know, superhero thing with Tiger's sense of humor, and he's able to go really small and there's such beautiful little subtle moments he's casting his gorgeous Chris Hemsworth really steps into the new take on the character, and he's obviously been pushing for that, you know, Lark, and so it really feels like it's just a perfect storm and a perfect bit of timing in terms of where the story's at, you know what, Tiger's sort of energy levels are creatively at that point, and it really expresses both Tiger and Marvel just beautifully. And I said, I think it sets a bar that from that point on they've been trying to hit and have never quiet, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the follow up, for whatever reason, didn't seem to work as well.
Speaker 4: I felt like for me, the follow up was really grasping at that kind of combining the comedy with the you know, with the pathos and the adventure and everything, but just sort of became tonally a bit, you know, a bit all over the shop, a bit sort of patchworking for mine, which kind.
Speaker 1: Of makes Ragnar Rock like it's a good lesson in these things are sometimes inches off as a triumph. They've tried to basically repeat the formula the sequel, but for whatever reason, Yeah, there's things are just not quite on you know, the Pajama Men. Yes, they do.
Speaker 4: They do lots of kind of really interesting quasi improvisational mid stuff. Anyway, I was hanging out with one of them after a show years ago and he described what you're talking about to me as a as like a circle. And you know, it's easy to be down the bottom, right, It's easy. Gravity will take you down the middle, right. But at the top of the circle, awesomeness and disastrous are right next to each other, right, And so the hard bit is to be up there for a start, and then also to be on the right side of that very subtle line that you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really good way of looking at it. The School of Rock is just it's very rewatchable. I've seen it. It'll be close to almost ten times, yeah, I think because if it's on you, and that's probably you know, watching it from fifteen minutes in or the last hour or so. But it is one of the best comedy performances by anyone Black and it's just kind of joyous.
Speaker 4: And Black really has taken that seriously, like if you sort of look into the material around it, I mean, it seems like he's being really spontaneous and really kind of fun. And he is, but he's brought that. He does a lot of prep for that role, you know, and he really really dove in. He understood the gravity of it for his career.
Speaker 1: Aside from I love hearing that, yeah, because there's a lot of talk about, you know, and the film we're talking about today is a massive live improvising going on. I think I think they shot four hours a film. We'll get to whether it works in Step Brothers or not, but I think there are examples where I'm watching a film going, yeah, they're improvising. It's not there could have been, yeah, but Jack Black is pitch perfect and I'm glad he went in prepared and who knows there might have been some imivization going on, but he commits it a character so uefully.
Speaker 4: And also what he's got going for him in his corner is that the story and the comedy are rowing in the same direction, right, Like that's not an either or proposition, you know. Yeah, by hitting the comedy, he's also telling the story, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And also I mean just putting yourself in his shoes. He not only has to deliver a performance that on that set. But he's got like what twelve, fifteen, twenty little kids looking at him that also are going to stay engaged in the process if he's the one that carries that for.
Speaker 1: Them, right, and both on screen and off screen. Yeah, this being between takes and like you know, being the director's obviously Mike White to do that job as well, and there's you know, people around to help. It's not solely on Jack Black to do that. But if you're an actor and you've got actors around you, that's you. You're kind of chatting too between scenes, really, you know, so to keep his energy up, their energy up. I think it's incredible. One of the best comedic performances on film. I totally agree to see one of the old time comedy classes. And I remember watching this had that many times as a kid. Had the vhs do not tape over Dustin Hoffman just just transforming and just stealing.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: It's interesting to think about the ways it has and hasn't dated politically.
Speaker 1: Yes, film, I was going to ask, what does it mean in twenty twenty four? Well, yeah, I mean it's a great question.
Speaker 4: Like you tempted to kind of raise an eyebrow at the fact that it's a guy been able to teach you know, what feminism is. Why does it take a guy to do that sort of stuff? But I wonder, if you know, I'm always interested to hear different people's perspective on it. But I think there's a lot too the idea of a guy learning about feminism and if he has to inhabit the shoes of someone else to do that. It does, and it's not The comedy is more than just it's funny when a guy dresses up as a as a woman, do you know what I mean? Like, it's not there are gags in that sort of space in there, but it's sort of more about the culture clash of it, isn't it.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean there's a version of this movie. There's been movies where you know, the Transformation, you know, I mean, you know, white chicks. Some like it, some like it, Yeah, exactly. So it's it's not necessarily a unicorn, but it's the I think it's the best of all those. Yeah, I feel like there's a class to It's genuinely funny. Bill Murray is great in that. Yeah, you forget Bill Murray is in it, right, Yeah, years ago, and I was like, oh that's right, Yeah, Bill Murray, let's get in to this kind of three.
Speaker 3: Name your favorite dinosaur, don't even think about it, just name it ready, one two?
Speaker 4: Three Glass of raptor, favorite non pornographic magazine to Masterbeat, two Good Housekeeping.
Speaker 1: If you were a chick, who's the one guy you would sleep with? John Thames? What did we just be? Come best friends? Yep? Do you want to go to Karati in the garage? Yup? Of course they do. Okay. I'm always somewhat nervous when I chat to a comedian about comedy. Yeah, it's like it's it's us judging. Yeah. Yeah, the comedians they did the craft of comedy. If it would help you to think of me as a cabaretist, I don't know. Maybe they'll take the pressure for the next hour two thousand and eight, directed by Adam Kaye from an idea from the three those guys, st'sy about as far as they went in inverted commas starting with Richard Jenkins as well Mary Steinberg and Adam Scott and Katherine Hahn Scott Edgar. Yeah, did you enjoy step Brothers? I enjoyed the process of watching it.
Speaker 4: I can now tick it off my list, but it's certainly I will say for my taste. And this is back to this idea of comedy and story. I thought this, you know, for me, it was a really great frame. And you can almost tell that it's an idea that's cooked up by people who are also performers, in large part because it does feel like, I wouldn't it be funny if we had this this premise where we could just mess around right the clown you know, it's a clowning kind of literally.
Speaker 1: That's exactly how they came. Like the first seed of this film was Adam Kay thinking I want to see a film or I want to make a film where a bunk bed collapses. Yeah, and they just started throwing stuff. Yeah, I want to see a film, you know, a film where they do a wrap on a boat, you know yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Like, and they just had comedy ideas.
Speaker 4: It's almost jarringly episodic at certain points, do you know what I mean? It's not always clear where the kind of spine of the kind of consequence of this scene really feed there are.
Speaker 1: In a movie. Yeah, there was zero steaks. You don't care enough Yeah to really want anything particular to happen. Yeah, I totally agree, and it's for me.
Speaker 4: The thing I've struggle with is they genuinely actually forty year old men who live at home? Or or are they forty year old men who are playing thirteen year olds because they want to?
Speaker 1: Or do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, are they actually mentally ill people? The sort of logic of that core premise just I never kind of got there, do you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean? One time I thought about that in particular was when they went for the job interviews and you're going to go, Okay, so do they want these jobs? Or are they sabotaging? Yeah? Am I watching big? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Are they genuinely the nine year olds in Grown Ups Bodies? Or is it Will Ferrell and John c Riley playing Actual Night?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, I think there's a lot to be said for that theme of a manchild and you know the kind of idea that people that age not pointing at anyone, he says, pointing.
Speaker 1: Himself, you can point me too, if you like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they go, you know, sort of immature, right, There's a lot to be kind of mind there. Yeah, but for my experience of man Children, they're much better at masking it than that, right, do you know what I mean? Like, so am I watching and if you for me? Because I couldn't get my head around the core logic of that premise, everything else just kind of came apart, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I did, And I'm going to defend it a little bit more. I I really enjoy this. It hasn't kind of like Joaquine Phoenix is his favorite film and he hasn't seen it any other film more than Step Brothers, and there has been like I love that Paul Thomas Anderson and I think I spoke about this recently with Prep Blake, Like he just loves Adam Sandler film. So he's the guyho made Phantom Threat and Magnolia, and it expects him to you know quote you know, yeah, he Lashby and I'm sure he's got influences like that as well. But if he's watching a movie, he's putting an Adam Sandler film on. There is something to be said about silliness and underrating that. I think if you give up any kind of pretense that this is going to give you anything more than laughs, then it's going to be a hard watch because it is. It is tricky to watch two men. The amount of shouting goes on. Are they is it something mentally going on here? What is their state of arrested development? And so once you start kind of going now every scene is just just trying to make it just some awesome performance. Being dickheads right and like on that frame, absolutely absolutely and people being stupid swearing there they're smart. Some of the lines they have with this when they're having it that first dinner party with their first meet and they're throwing all that, you know, the oldest lines in the book at each other, going, I mean when I had my first yeah, yeah, very funny, when I heard that I fell fell off my dinosaur. And then he's trying not to cry.
Speaker 4: Look, no one does you know man acting like child better than Will Ferrell, And that is him playing to his absolute strength. He's got a body of work in that department. I would say, I wrote down just off the top of my head. Elf is absolutely that. Yes, Fire Saga is very much that. That's the kind of core of his performance. I think is that for me, he's getting a bit old to pull it off by Fire saga. But that's I've seen that one fire Saga's great if you can again, you're just being asked to kind of look away from the fact that Will Ferrell's playing thirty years younger, you know what I mean. Wedding Crashes. He does a cameo on that, which is absolutely that. I would say, anchor man, is that talladaga nine?
Speaker 1: Absolutely old school? It's what he does, yeah, right, yeah, and he's absolutely amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But he's got the funniest face in comedy, Like there's something like you can see the cogs between behind the eyes, you know, and whether he's playing cocky or I mean, I think he's at his best when he's playing a bit cocky, you know, but it's always a vulnerable kind of cocky where you know that he's not there's not much behind it, that's right. It's a David Brand Michael Scott thing, but he had it. He was doing that before even those guys, and it's it's still different. It's not he's not doing the same thing, and I don't think they're doing the same thing as him, but it's the same kind of wheelhouse.
Speaker 4: And I was watching that Funny or Die sketch Yesterday with Will Ferrell. I don't know if you've seen it, where he's living in a sharehouse. The other character is played by Adam McKay. As it happens and there's a knock at the door and he's like, to my landlord, have you seen that skitch?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, and he opens the door and it's a too literal two year old giving just playing to the hilt, this idea of this old bitter landld, give me my money or you're back out on the street. And it's hilarious, but it made me kind of wonder. I guess maybe he's got some sort of fascination with people playing outside their age, do you know what I mean, like whether there's something there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and that's on show in this movie, the kids who beat them up. That was one of the other ideas I want to see like a you know, like a bunch of kids, because I think one of Adam or Willard seen like a kid pick a faright with an adult said, that's hilarious.
Speaker 4: That's so funny in the movie, and the post credits scene where they could go back in and just absolutely hammer the kids. It's nothing not funny about that.
Speaker 1: It's so good about the interviews before. Let's have a listened to one where we see Seth Rogon and Seth Rogan was getting going around his time. And I did like this as an idea, is like, they're being so stupid in all these interviews, and they know that they've been stupid in this interview, but for some reason, Seth Rogen doesn't see it. Yeah and yeah, Diale lets it down at the end.
Speaker 6: I'm just looking to hire guys that I don't mind hanging out with for like twelve hours a day. You guys seem like cool guys, got hair similar to mine. You wear tuxedos to the interview. That's funny, it's ironic. I get that you're kind of underplaying the whole formality of it. I think that's funny as hell.
Speaker 1: So let's do this. You know, you guys are hired. You're in, you know, unless you're like the weirdest guys ever. And I don't see it. Great. Was that a fart? I don't know.
Speaker 6: I can taste it.
Speaker 1: I'm a tunnel, Okay, I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 5: I did for it.
Speaker 6: Is that Onion Onion and onionon catchup.
Speaker 7: It stinks.
Speaker 6: There's a small room. Okay, now to see those things kind of fucked up.
Speaker 1: I mean I had I have a lot of laughs in this movie. It's a very quotable line. Oh absolutely, my most quotable line. We saw the ship ton of copters. For some reason, for some reason, I love that. I love John c. Relling. You know, we are a house of learned doctors. Heave saverely laughs. I mean, yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 4: It's like that thing of like I keep talking about, if I saw that on stage, you know, I don't know. For some reason, I would find that more enchanting than on film, where you've got all these expectations of a story that has stakes.
Speaker 1: For example, yes, the one thing okay, so the one thing I think helps it from an emotional point of view, as as like you start siding with the guys is the arrival of Derek totally Adam Scott and his wife Alice paid Bay, also the equally incredible Katherine Hahn. They fuck me Adams. I hadn't done comedy before this, and he's just John hamm audition for this. I can imagine John Ham in it, like he played a very similar character in Bridesmaids. It was hilarious, but Adam Scott knocks this and out of the heart, and I don't think it's as good as a film without Adam Scott and Katherine completely agree.
Speaker 4: I would say the whole thing lifts just by degrees when they both show up. I mean, the kiss between Katherine Hahn and John c Riley might be the funniest on screen bad kiss I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: Let's let's have a listen.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Alice, I'm Derek's wife. Is it true that you struck Derek in the face and he fell from the treehouse? Yeah, he asked me. Amazing thing I've ever heard. I want you to know that. Tonight I am gonna pleasure myself to the image of you doing.
Speaker 5: That to Deare you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yesterday?
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 1: Oh, Dale, You're something. You are something. Here's something too. I'm want to roll you into a little ball and shove you up my vagina. You could just live there. It's warmnuts, it's cozy vagina. I want to walk around with you in there, and I just know if I feel a little tickl or scratched, and it's this your hair of my vagina. Please just do it for me.
Speaker 6: What's happening?
Speaker 7: Excuse me?
Speaker 1: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: My life well, single kid, honey, come on Dane Cook pay per view twenty minutes, let's go.
Speaker 1: Oh that is the perfect Cook. Of course he'd be a massive Dane Cook fan. I know this is better Dayne Cook, but I imagine Derek loves Dane Cook. Ad gotten say, let's talkbout Katain Hart. Yeah, Katherine Haunt first of all, shooting that scene, I would love to know see the outtakes, like what they left out? What they That is an incredible performance. And we underrate comedies all the time, but that to commit to that thought, that idea to be performing at inches away from John c Riley as well, because he's got he's doing his bit. I just think I like Katin Hahn doesn't come up enough. I know she's co ordinary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she is extraordinary, absolutely, And the thing of a film like this is, you know, obviously the nugget of the idea has come from what John c Riley and Will Ferrell look good at. What's amazing to me is that the actors around them have gone, Yep, get it, I'm going to hit that mode exactly right now. One really feels like they're in a different film, like they're all that someone like Catherine Hahn, who might be arguably from a more traditional kind of actor background, to be able to just switch gears like that and hit that mode perfectly and hit that heightened clownish character.
Speaker 1: I feel like Will Paraol and Adam McKay find people. I think they've all got to work. I think Catherine was in a command, had a small role in the command, one of the office workers, so you know. And Adam Scott. I'm not sure where they Scott before, but they find people and her her ability to just go all in, which is what Will Ferrell does.
Speaker 4: It's incredible they is it that same scene or later they have a really bad kiss and then later on they have a really bad sham standing up shagg and.
Speaker 1: It's just the most stupid thing you've ever seen in the And then she urinates in the urin all the men's urinal and you go along with it because it's fucking bizarre and hilarious, and you know, because it's a vulnerable thing. I think to go, I'm putting myself out here doing this piece of comedy.
Speaker 4: If it doesn't work. I look like a fucking idiot totally. And that circle I was talking about before the steaks are really high creatively, right, yeah, and that and that's the scene works. Catherine Harness.
Speaker 1: I was doing a lot of the heavy lifting in that scene because you know, Dale is a stunned first of all. One on John c Rowley, it is actually just not breaking. He probably did. He probably did, Yes, you're right. There's a couple of lines in that that he says where it's like what he says, you're something too, And then he said what's happening? And it's so good because he's saying it from an innocent you know, like he's saying it, he doesn't know what's happening. That kind of like another version of that is what's happening here? This is this is you know, yeah, and you're something too. Yeah, you're pretty special. No, he's not saying that, and he's just like you're saying you're physically you are something yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And don't sleep on his equivalent ability to play childish characters.
Speaker 1: That's one of the pillars of his career as well.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of I found there's a lot of Boogie Nights, Yeah, you know, which is one of my favorite comedic performances, one of my favorite movies. But yeah, he's you know, there's the karate stuff and the music staff that he did with Matt Wahlberg in that film. But yeah, he is, like John c Riley is just one of the great character actor really, he's a bit of the go from you know, Walcard and that he was in Chicago, you know, so he plays in many different areas wreck at Ralph. Yeah, you find it interesting that George Bush quote at the beginning I did, which one was families is where our nations finds love. Our nation finds love, where wings take dream George W. Bush, I'm an actual quote. I don't know for sure if this was the first kind of seed of Adam McKay being a bit more political. If he's getting political, it's pretty subtle at this at this early point of the Yeah, and it's a very interesting quote there. So two thousand and six and yeah, of course both this is Wilfarel and John c ry so they basically back to back films together. But that I think Tallbagan Knights was also had like to say about America, and yeah, corporization and so yeah, there's this early and for those who don't know, Adam McKay goes on and does you know the big shorts and which the Wall Street politics and don't look up. As we mentioned earlier, they produced succession. We grew up, you know, in the eighties, and you know, and comedies are a big thing. You know, the amount of comedies that the Saturday Night Live comedies, who you know, the Ghostbusters, Beverly Hills Carpet and there were always comedies in theater less.
Speaker 4: So now oh very much so and getting made at all, let alone getting into the sea. And often they will go straight to streaming or have a very short cinema window and go to streaming. Jennifer Lawrence won recently No Hard Feelings. That was really solid, That was.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, I haven't seen No Hard Feelings to Jennifer Lawrence. Really good film that had that kind of feeling of eighties comedy.
Speaker 4: Absolutely that simple premise. A character that kind of is down on the luck and wants to achieve something and you know, finds out that the thing they wanted is not the thing they need.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah blah blah, and her Jennifer Lawrence, one of the you know, the big stars. We're not making as many films as she was in an absolute prime with the Hunger Games kind of the years, but she commits to character. And that would have been such an easy film to her to pass on, yeah, to pass on or just to phone in, you know, but she really goes there. It's freaking hilarious.
Speaker 4: The premise is a classic rom com premise. She's been asked to like help this kid come out of his shell by like coming on to him and whatnot, by by his parents. Anyway, there's a scene early on when she's over egging the pudding and she's all dressed up, real sexy, and she convinces him to give her a lift home, and she's being really kind of you know, up front.
Speaker 1: And he maces her. It's hilarious.
Speaker 4: And then they're out on the on the lawn and she's on and and he's going, what the hell did you just do? And then he takes a like basically a fire hose and tries to rinse it out of it, you know what I mean, Like it's just one hundred and ten percent the whole way.
Speaker 1: That's not even anywhere near the funniest thing. No, there's a scene on the beach where it's a fight scene. She's fully naked and it's all there. You know, she's not saying, oh, no, you know, I only shoot from from here or there and no, she completely committed that. She's yeah, hilarius. Yeah and so and comedy fell around this time, like it was through Judd Apatau and then Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler of course Fairly Brothers, just before the Farly Brothers. Yeah, Mary, of course. Yes, well I remember seeing There's Something at Mary and feeling like that was the first comedy I've seen like it was laugh out loud in a while. Jim carries other obviously the other one who was so there were Yeah, there were a bit. It felt like I was having a hateout. I felt like in the nineties it kind of went away the early two thousands and he seemed to kind of really come back.
Speaker 4: And you can't help wondering, you know, what the relationship is with this kind of film and the kind of talent pipeline of SNL, you know, because they're often they often kind of go hand in hand a little bit. I'm not sure whether you could point at much of that right now, I don't know. This is the theory I haven't thought of much, So I'm just going to say that loud. So they're not live now casts more attractive people interesting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, And I'm not obviously Eddie Murphy, sure and absolutely start you know, and I'm not saying there hasn't been you know that those stars aren't attractive, but you look at the cast and you go, they're an attractive bunch of people.
Speaker 4: Is that just because you and I are getting older and all young people seem way more attractive than when we were that adeos?
Speaker 1: Possibly counterpoint, you know, we don't need to kind of go through the cars and who's attractive and who down. We're getting the Mark Zuckerberg territory here that I guess Parpeline is doesn't seem as strong. I mean, Bride'smaids was a great comedy I mentioned in the School of Rock, but that's still in now ten years ago. Yea, Yeah, has comedy shifted into that comedy drama world where where drama is except to you know, and I love a good drama, y you know, O Sideways, one of my favorit films is that that's a bit of both. Is Holdover as a comedy? You know?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, so I think Holdovers would be more kind of drama with some comedy. But also, I mean, I don't know. It's just sidebarring from here. I don't understand how The Bear is a comedy and that's getting nominated in that Cadger, And it seems like it all just comes down to how I shot.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked anyone sees The Bear as a comedy. I mean, me too.
Speaker 4: I love it, but it's well not to say comedies can't be harrowing, but I can't point at many gags in it.
Speaker 1: You know, I wouldn't have thought I would laugh once and a laugh. Yeah, yeah, that's right, that's right. I'll tell what's comedy is renditions of guns and rises like this one go three four. She's got smile that it seems to me reminds me of childhood.
Speaker 5: Memories whereverything was as fresh as a bride.
Speaker 1: Blue skuy All right, Tommy, you're the oldest. I'm counting on you. Come on. She's got yes of the bluest guys, has a lot of it. I hate you.
Speaker 5: Look those eyes.
Speaker 1: Now, nice steprano buddy, all right, all right, Alice, let's go. Reminds me of flats so flat I can't even I don't even know. You don't even look good while you're sick. The worst thing I've ever heard. Just twelve hundred dollars a week for voice lessons, and this is what I get. Okay, I'm gonna save it with the solo bo.
Speaker 5: Like that.
Speaker 1: What an awest for all of them. Yeah, that son is fantastic in this. In this, he's all he gets to do in the whole film. He has one line at the dinner table basically and and but what's actually really good about it? You know, if you want to a little bit deeper, Yeah, Derek is raising a little asshole, you know. Yeah, Yeah, he's leading by example. Yeah, he thinks, and his son's following that. And you know straight away what their relationship is. What Catherine Hahn's character is that the fact that he's a dick. I mean maybe we already knew that based on the backstory that happened earlier. Yeah, you know, he's a dick. He's Derek because he sings it. I think he's introduced by the characters early when he's yeah, because he's got a very he missed the wedding because of a very important fishing trip.
Speaker 4: But there's also the story of like him, you know, of why Will Ferrell won't sing in public and it's the school concert and he gets all his mates to sing. You know, it's nuts. Yeah, I mean, look, Adam Scott, I've just got all the time in the world.
Speaker 1: Let's chat about Adams a bit, because I hadn't done a lot of comedy. I don't think before this where was community? Was that soon after this? Yeah, he might have been around that times. Yeah, she was great in that, but he was sort of a gentler character in that. And he can play like this Parkson recreation. He's so likable, That's what I'm thinking of. I was, I was thinking, was he in community Parkson WRECKI so gentle and likely that you say, And then he's been like the supportive kind of husband. It pretty lies his great nap. But when he does out and out comedy like this, I mean, this is yeah, this is great, right, he adds a little Let's have another listen. This is the dinner party scene. So the family have arrived not long after the sweets Oild of Mind cover and yeah, this is Derek being a dick. Are beeni in a fish? Big what d don't interrupt the man when he's telling a story. It's fine, Robert, I was asking about the story. I know, no Son, It's okay. God, I'm sorry now I forget where my story was going. A damn it, Dale.
Speaker 4: Listen, Gang, don't be mad at Dale for ruining the story and possibly the evening.
Speaker 1: It's It's totally fine. Have a lot more stories, Derek, that you do. Guilty with the stories delivery of that line.
Speaker 4: Guilty his charge with the story and the way he runs John c Riley up the flagpole in the most subtle way for asking a completely fair enough question. You don't know about that kind of fish, but just the subtext, that look on his face, and the way he's so cruel to him in the tiniest amount of time.
Speaker 1: It's amazing storytelling. And he's reducing you know, Richard, you know, And then you get to deal with in the cell of the house. There's self interest, a fun little fact which you know. I'm sure Adam McKay is aware of this and will fare the Benita fish not actually traffic fish, not actually traffic fish. There we go, which I've seen even more now.
Speaker 4: Just to jump across to Richard Jenkins as well. I mean, he is superb as a comic actor.
Speaker 1: We don't see that. And he's a similar kind of proposition, I think to Adam Scott absolutely, because he played in some of them, was in Guffman or Best in Show.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he was in some of the Christopher guess he's Look, he's c is as long as as long as your arm. I mean he's in you know, Cheaper by the Dozen, mimus Me, myself and Irene. But I mean the thing about it is that he is if you look at the work he's done, eat, pray, love, you know he's he's beyond the genre.
Speaker 1: He's not a comic actor per se. No, but he can go in any direction. Yeah. Yeah, Six Feet Under obviously, yes, A Shape of Water. He was really good in that and gave, you know, a very human kind of performance. He's very human. He's very you can see the vulnerability beyond his eyes. I mean this when he's loved, I do love that. Yeah, there's really smart touches in this film that aren't necessarily you don't necessarily reading the script. But when Richard Jakins is laughing at Mary Steenberg and he's also always great. Second time she's played Wilferl's Mum's played his mum in Elf of course, and mother in the sept Brothers. But he's laughing and she says, I've never seen you laugh like that. And that's just a little it's just a little hint that the things you know he may not be.
Speaker 4: That's everything he needs from Yeah, that set up, and he just gets the exact tone of the kind of laugh that is required for that scene. And there's an honesty going on at all times, and it feels fresh and spontaneous his performances.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean this film, I would say, is just the greatest cast you could possibly put in those six roles, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I mean you could argue there's been a better cast, but I think we can agree that every choice they made was the right choice, the right choice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's just speaking of casting. He's a thought game for you about this film. Does it work better equally differently if instead of John c Riley and Will Ferrell there are two actual teenagers.
Speaker 1: I know it's a different film. Yeah, I understand it's not. Do you know what I mean, but like I don't think.
Speaker 4: So, Yeah, that's just I guess the way it's stress testing if the story works at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well no, because I think you are the fun is these men should know better. Yeah, and where there's there'll be a lediency if they were kids going to go, well, they'll grow up eventually. And the fact they grow up kind of overnight, don't they. There's a little, a lot happens, over a lot happens.
Speaker 4: So Will Ferrell learns how to put on a whole event for a you know, for the Catalina wine taste.
Speaker 1: He seems to do that overnight. And I think they are kind of winking to the camera a little bit, kind of they know they've taken a massive shortcut. But it doesn't it doesn't matter. I'm finding people like early appearances by Kenjiong's in there, Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Wriggle yeah is in there again. They are able to find people. Do you happen to remember? And this is super super obscure call out, do you happen to remember? A comedy band that lasted for about a second and a half back in the kind of or It's middlets Ken Jong was in it and it was called million Dollars Strong. No, really kind of you know, you'd be able to find a few of their clips still on the Googles, but.
Speaker 4: Really kind of Pureisle, really kind of that same mode of like Manchild sort of comedy, you know. And I was put very much in mind of Million dollars Strong when they did their clip, you know, the launch of their company.
Speaker 1: And they did that company called again its Pristige Global, Prestige Global, and it is throwing all the terms that they've heard and all the genres of business that they can think of. That's it. I can really relate to that.
Speaker 4: Actually, that idea of like entering this massive kind of taking on this big project with no effing idea that the scale of the thing you're stepping into. And that's most projects for me is thinking back and going I did not know a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think there are some relatability.
Speaker 4: Things in the third act of I mean, who hasn't dug a grave in the backyard tried to bury their best friend.
Speaker 1: I mean those are the moment where you're going to go, yeah, they're not trying to do anything more than make us laugh. And I think that's an honorable thing to do the idea, you know, the Richard Jenkins dinosaur thing, which I think I think that was from him. That was an improper thing from him. I did love that wilfare Ill thing that he does a lot where it's almost under the dialogue as that doesn't make sense, you know. I think that's a very welfare a thing for sure. But that idea of staying young, oh yeah, you know, and it's ridiculous that, you know, Richard Jenkins's character comes around like yeah, but these characters are particularly annoying. It's not like they're young at heart. No, it goes further than just being young enough. Oh I had, I had, Oh absolutely, and I had.
Speaker 4: My main takeaway is I blame the parents for all of this, Like I wanted to know more about the Steenberger and Jenkins characters.
Speaker 1: Like how did you let things get to this point?
Speaker 4: How did you let things get to the fact that your your children are not only incapable of functioning outside the house, but basically incapable of functioning inside the house.
Speaker 1: Well when when when they're in the cart the start and and we played the clip earlier, and you know, Brennan is saying, you know, if if he gets into my face, that going to punch that motherfucker, you know, and Steenburgen's is like like she's smiling. She never she never shows any kind of frustration. Yeah, Brendan. You can particularly see from the Brennan Nancy relationship how Brennan's gotten to be who he is. There's a bit more kind of a fight back, I think, from Richard Jenkins to the Dale totally. But yeah, I kind of was slightly touched, you know, like it had worked hard enough for me to get emotional at all, so at a low percentage rate. But just when Richard Jengans tells Derek to be quiet, you know, like, yeah, he's about to launch into one of his big stories and he's like, yeah, there you know the rules over to your Dale, It's like, yeah, that's that's nice. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And there's something about, yeah, getting back to your funny enough it is. The movie is silly, and it's kind of about being able to embrace silliness.
Speaker 4: That's very much the core premise if you if you can't, yeah, if you can't kind of set aside all the kinds of logical things that I've been getting hung up on for this whole podcast.
Speaker 1: You know, then you won't enjoy it, and it is absolutely right. Yeah, if you watch this film and you are expecting anything more than just then making you laugh and they are idiots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it reminds me of them dumber a lot of ways, so sort of heightened those clown characters, know where if you put a frame of logic across it, you're in real trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are some fun facts. We always love. A fun fact, the Billy Joel cover.
Speaker 4: I'm just I was just about I was looking at that on my notes, you know, as a person who has a Billy Joel cover band, which I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Come yeah, Keith an Eye, I come down to see the Billy Joels where. Yeah, it's a fun show. But the idea that they're just they just only do late eighties Billy Joel, that's just genius.
Speaker 1: That is a genius because when you start the fire the fire piano man and the guy gets so dark about it too. I know it's because you can imagine there being you know, if you were we only played this period of Billy Joel. Yeah, of course there can be people who want these songs outside that piece of course, and would have heard that a thousand times. Is this his breaking point or did you get angry every time? I had a lot of questions for that guy.
Speaker 4: Again, not a film you should ask too many questions. No, but no, it's it's a hilarious reason for there not to be a lead singer up on stage, you know, when the plot needs there not to be.
Speaker 1: This is a good thing, you know when in comedy sometimes break away to do their serious kind of ending or their emotional and School of Rock does do that. And oh yeah, and you almost want that, You want that, and you need that, and tis as well. Yeah, it makes good movies, great movies, I think, and gives an emotional punch and you walk out of the cinema kind of floating. This doesn't really chin to the calendar one mixer, which apparently doesn't exist at all, but now does as a result of this film. Some more fun facts. Will Ferrell does sing. I think probably by now he realized that he can he can sing, and he enjoys a song in a.
Speaker 4: I found myself wondering what if his voice actually was really good?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean? It's fine? Yeah, I find it hilarious. And he sings in a lot of his movies. Yeah, and his voice is it's fine, Yeah, it's it's absolutely fun. He can and that.
Speaker 4: Works for films like Fist Saga, where he does a lot of singing and you buy it. It's like that's probably about the level of that character could sing and it's fine, fine, whereas this it's it's that pinnacle of the whole story. So I found myself wondering what would happen if they went either bad singer, like actually amazing singer or really bad you know what I mean, Like this sort of hit it a little bit in the middle for.
Speaker 1: Me, Yeah, I do wonder. I wonder if.
Speaker 4: I don't answer that, because as it is at the moment, I would say that I'm sitting there going, yeah, well, I'm expected to just buy that he's a good singer and that's why the story resolves, right, and it does and it's fine and it's fine, like we're talking about as a musician, I was sitting there going, do you I wonder what would happen if he actually really did, you know, burn the place down? Which does happen in no hard feelings. When the kid sits up at the piano in the rest and it is amazing because you're just arrested by this moment. You don't see it coming at all, and his kid starts playing and he's freaking phenomenal, you know.
Speaker 1: But again, I think Step Brothers is not reaching for that. No, no, at all, totally. John c Riley plays the drums. That's him on drums. He'd be a shame if they needed to stand in to achieve that level of you know, for somebody who doesn't play the drums. I just bang. And this is like Adam McKay envisions. I've read this as a fact. It's one of those facts. I don't think. I believe that Adam McKay envisioned this as a drama not a comedy. I just don't. Maybe in the first kind of Like I said, I've also heard the first seat of the idea was a bunk clumpch Yeah, I take that with a grainness.
Speaker 4: I believe the bunk one more than I believe that this was originally a drama thing. Not to say that you couldn't, as I say, you can film about this subject matter is actually super relevant and an interesting conversation to have.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely this ain't that. No, Sweet Out of Mind, which you heard earlier. This is the second film funny enough that Katain Hahn's been in where Sweet Out of Mine is sung. The other one is Captain Fantastic. Oh is a great factor to read. Yeah, thank you, an underrated film as well. Captain Fantastic. Check that one out if you get a chance. He's in everything at the moment. She was in a Will Ferrell one quite recently on Apple Plus, which also dealt with a kind of Jewish family and this sort of predatory psycho The Shrink next Door, Yeah, the Shrink next Door. Will interviewed Will Farell that game and I said to him that that was the performance of his career where I almost didn't recognize him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't see him do that thing that you know, I'm a serious actor tonight.
Speaker 1: Out of all those even Sam was only that a couple of times, but I think Will Ferrell has done it even less. He went through a little stage. Look, it's stranger in fiction, but that was still had comedic elements. You know, he just wasn't complaining the usual manchild.
Speaker 4: And you're almost he almost has to deal with your expectation a little bit of like Oh, he's going to be funny any minute now, any minute now, And you're actually not sure for the first kind of half an episode how you expected to come to it. But and the same goes with Paul Rudd as well, same deal. Once you settle into it, it's a fantastic show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I really enjoyed that. There's a fine little one. There's there's a Huggloo's pizza light in the bedroom in I think Dale's, and that is that is also the pizza joint where Ricky Bobby ends up at in Talladega Knights Loses. Is that really it's a shared universe. Yes, it's the w c U, the WILL or w f CU Will for all Cinematic Universe all explain. There's actually one point I did want to make, which I kind of felt like it was the one bum note, you know, once you accept that this stuff and just here to make you laugh, the one thing that kind of I went, oh, I love the relationship between Will Ferrell and he's the shrink. Oh yeah, she had a very firm professional line.
Speaker 4: And that's that's kind of her one gag, isn't it How she keeps having to restate that and then.
Speaker 1: Brendan just still sees it as a relationship and the potential of love there, and she up being there because he's a danger to himself or to others, suggests to go and arrive there, and she's still saying, no, this is this is not happening, you know. And then she's at dinner. She's at dinner. Yeah, And there's a line at the end of it he can wear the fuck out of that hat, and it's like the obviously you know, yeah, I just without getting to you know, being too progressive or whatever about or too righteous, it just kind of felt lazy. I don't need both characters to have interests love interests.
Speaker 4: At the end, totally, it was a bit Gilbert Sullivan to, you know, to just randomly pick someone and they pair off those two even though there's absolutely no justification for in fact, beyond no justification, in fact, I've spent the whole rest of the time denying it, but not in that romantic way of like, oh, I know what she's really saying, like that wasn't the case.
Speaker 1: No, I think it made it less funny for me. It's not that being right, It just made it less funny for me because it was so funny that she was so and she was really good. I thought, you know, like with the boundaries, and Brenda just did not get it. You know for sure she's a rascal. Scott Edgar, This podcast comes with homework, right, Yes, you've done your homework? Oh have I? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, definitely watching the film is the heart. Yes, I thank you for doing that. It was only sometimes work.
Speaker 1: Well the thing, like I said, some comedies comedians can be become a complicated you know, because but yeah, I think we we had a very good chat with this one. And also we had Brett Blake on recently with The Jerk and like, you watch that film, you're going to go. Can we feel sure it's all about this film? Like it's a little bit one note like this film is, but it's funny. We always find things to talk about the other thing that this film is. Also, I think about his.
Speaker 4: Entitlement totally relevant, super relevant, absolutely so, which is also Will Ferrell getting annoyed about John c Ryland getting cast in it.
Speaker 1: Coming in there about entitlement, professional library apps, or ambition. Sometimes comedy can hide ambition.
Speaker 4: I would argue that no one's that successful without having a burning you know, some of ambition inside their heart, no question. I've never met anyone who achieved that level without having that that's almost psychotic drive to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before we go, you may be. I think I'm ninety nine percent sure. The first Grammy outside of your that were you were nominated for, but the first Grammy nominated artists in the ASNY studio you congratulations, You were originally nominated for a Grammy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and what was So it was for Best Soundtrack for an Interactive Media, so Best Game Soundtrack, video game Soundtrack. We collaborated with a composer in La called Austin Wintry dear friend of ours and Montaigne from up in Sydney, fantastic, and so we wrote a bunch of songs for this interactive musical. So the trick of it was writing songs that you were like in themselves choose your own adventures, right. So it was a massive amount of work and a huge which kind of nose bleed in terms of the logic and the way of doing it, which is the challenge I enjoyed most, to be honest, on that project.
Speaker 1: And you went over for the great season We went over. Yeah, you actually went to the Grammys with the Gates in the Yes, so so because I found out about we had a skihouse reunion. Yeah, and I found about it on that night, and I post about it the next day because I'm like, there's not enough noise post about it, well enough noise being made about the tripe. I've boy's been for a Grammy, and but I was so glad that you were all going over because so many times I mean, yeah, I mean, Grammy's a the Grammy, So absolutely you do have to, but there are times you can't for no reason, for money reasons too money reason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Thank goodness Screen Australia, who were doing a lot of great work in the game space at the moment, came to the party and helped make that happen.
Speaker 1: Oh, good on them, Good on them. Otherwise it might have been a bit tricky, you know, because I've heard that you go to the Grammys and there's a lot of expenses, you know, even like well, i mean, just a beer in La cost seventeen dollars us. I think someone paid for one. So you go to the Grammys and tell us about it. What happens, Oh, it was nuts.
Speaker 4: I mean, look so much to tell For a start, there's like it's a week of events, right, so they make a big fuss of you.
Speaker 1: You get all the medals, we got our Norm Smith medals being nominees.
Speaker 4: You know, they take you through all this process of getting photos and they'd make a fuss of you. And on the you know, on the Wednesday, there's this sort of networking event and then on the Saturday there's two things. And the Saturday afternoon might have been my favorite event because it was the Lifetime Achievement Awards and it's in a pretty small theaters, maybe three hundred of us, and people like Gladys Night are getting up there, you know, Nwa right there.
Speaker 1: In the room.
Speaker 4: You know, like just these legends of the of the business. So that part of it is when you start going, holy shit, I'm at the Grammys, you know what I mean. Like it's very abstract up until that point, and then you realize you're in this very rarefied, strange, fun celebration. And that's the other part of it that I really enjoyed is the is it reminded me that I quite like music. It's probably a good thing to remember.
Speaker 1: Now. Look, it was amazing.
Speaker 4: I mean the night of our category, along with like eighty other categories, is in the afternoon. So that's a big, long event, which is still fun and there's still great people like we walked in and Sheila he was playing, which.
Speaker 1: Someone on my vintage is very exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I said to Montianne afterwards, I can't believe we saw Sheila in the flesh And they said, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: That means nothing to me. Fair, fair, fair, I should I knew that's how I was going to go as it was coming out of my mouth. Or Montane isn't listening to this Montanne under a Bustaigne. Deny, that's what you said. Come on, it's just generational, that's all I'm saying. Mate, Thank you so much, love your work. Go see the Joels Billy Joels. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, yeah, come to my instagrams. God Man is fine one word and yeah if we if we write again, which we will, you'll find out about the good Man is fine, mate, Great to see you.
Speaker 7: Kundo vivo soloso, horrors are defat de Bello in las Sombra and tre lusastoros nogrepara me mea see two no stars.
Speaker 1: Finally we complete the hat trick the Tripod can stand on its own legs, as we have the third of the trio, Tripod on you Ain't Seen Nothing yet. Scott Egga and Tripod mean a lot to me. They I met them very early in my comedy career, didn't know them before comedy, and we kind of really bonded. We were both on the inaugural Melbourne International Comedy Festival road show, so we did the the rock and roll comedy thing of being in Torago's traveling around Victoria together with Ross Noble and King and Karin Grant, will Anderson and Keith Robinson from New York and we just had the best time. And Scott was somebody who really well we all got to shared a sense of humor and pop culture. But Scott had like references that I remember hearing Bozgags for the first time coming out of Scott's mouth and realizing, oh, okay, he sounds cool. And I think I made a joke about you know, because I know it, and I was naive and silly and I probably made a joke about his love of bozzgags. And then I realized, I know, Buzz Skaggs actually deserves our respects so apologies to Bozzgags if you're listening, but Scott is Yeah, first of all, if you're listening to this and you don't know Tripod, Scott Gatsy and Yon Tripod, they're an iconic Australian comedy band. And not only they came along at a time when there was a lot of people doing parodies. I would say, lazy parodies of songs, you know, changing a word here, a word there, Chop I weren't really doing that. They were creating their own songs about certain topics and they were all musically very very good. Well that's what set them apart. I think from a lot of parody comedy parody bands. Their musicianship, the ability to sing, hold notes and play instruments really set them apart. They were just always always a joy to watch the band between the songs was always amazing. But Scott's a long time mate. I've got so much time for him. He's so funny, so smart. Next week on the show, very very excited. A bit of a different genre. We don't cover it very often. It's a horror classic. We're going back to nineteen eighty four. Time for Freddy. Freddy Krueger. That's right. A Nightmare on Elm Street. Wes Craven's Absolute classic spawned an Absolute dynasty, a franchise. It's about eight or nine films I think in that plus video games and other spin offs. And it's crazy. Will that be but one of the greatest villains of all time, Freddy Krueger, and I'll be chatting with one of the Well, there's nothing villainous about my guest next week. They are fantastic. It's Alex Ward. You would have seen Alex on have you been paying attention. I've worked here for many years on the project, absolutely killing it in the Australian comedy scene. And yeah, it's gonna be a bloody thrilled to hang out with Alex next week and chat about A Nightmare on Elm Street. If you haven't seen it, check it out Johnny Dep's debut, amongst other things. Check it out. You won't say nothing yet until then back an hour and so we leave old Pete save Van sal and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name