Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast past Deep the Line and welcome back guys to TV Reload. As you may know, my name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the insight goss on the popular TV shows you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. So each episode I've been finding guests they want to dive just a little bit deeper to the shows they're currently making so that you can hear all their exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast.
Speaker 2: I love hearing your feedback, so.
Speaker 1: Make sure you leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. On today's podcast, I have Shana Blaze who has just had her massive reveal on The Mask Singer this week. If you missed Shanea's performance as the Singing Blue Bottle, you can check it out on ten Play, and you really should because it was fantastic to see her smash those songs on Monday Night. Shane is an Australian interior design I'm a television personality writer and former singer. She's best known for her work as a co host on Selling Houses Australia and as a judge on the Block. There has been much controversy about her time on Network ten singing show, as The Mar Singer is on at the same time as her other show, The Block, which we all know is on Channel nine. I personally am a huge fan of Shana and it is a real joy to be able to chat with her today. I will ask Shana if she asks Channel nine for permission and which co stars from the Block have contacted her for congratulations. Shana will discuss her singing voice and how she managed to keep this gig a secret even from her family and friends. We will talk about Shanea's ability to sing and if she plans to focus on a singing career now that everyone well and truly knows that she has that voice. Plus, we will get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes of The Mass Singer, which returns next Monday Night at seven thirty on Network ten. And if you've fallen a little bit behind, as I mentioned, before you can catch up on ten play anyway, let's bring Shana into the podcast. I absolutely loved catching up with Shane, and I hope you enjoyed this very interesting episode of TV reload.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: Then, Hey, how are you? What a surprise? Dadda Shane?
Speaker 1: I always knew that you could sing, and I knew that you could sing well, so that part of it wasn't a big shock for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I kind of knew because I knew you'd sung at pubs and clubs, and I knew you'd kind of been in a band because I remember talking to some girlfriends, because you're friends with the whole of very famous singers like Tina Arena, Danny Minogue, anyone that can sing in Australia that's a woman basically, and I knew that all of these women that would get together as friends were all very good singers. So yeah, it wasn't a surprise to me.
Speaker 3: Oh well, there you go. Did you know it was me?
Speaker 2: I did? I picked you immediately, you worked it out immediately.
Speaker 1: The first episode that you sung, I picked you straight away and I just you, Oh my gosh. And then the second episode again and I'm watching it with my partner, and I'm like, that's Shane of Blaze, it has to be. But the thing that through me was that I was like, you just couldn't be on two networks at the same time.
Speaker 3: That's what was so good about it. I loved it.
Speaker 2: How did this come about?
Speaker 1: Did you need, like in an indemnity form, you know, like when you're in school you get an indemnity form to go to sports.
Speaker 2: Did you have to get one of those from Channel nine?
Speaker 3: No, it was just a verbal question and answer.
Speaker 4: Really, it was one of those things, Look, you know, this is what I want to do, and the way my contract was they I was under no obligation not to do it. But it is just one of those respect things where you go, I want to do Are you okay with it?
Speaker 3: Yep, they're cool.
Speaker 4: And I think that's what's so great with what I do with Channel nine is they love me to do what I love and they won't stop me. So I was very proud of being able to do that at the same time, but I sort of felt like that was my little superpower of people think, oh, I can't be she can't be on two networks, So I thought, yeah, that one works for me.
Speaker 1: I just assumed you were like, may do it and beg for forgiveness later. But I guess that's probably not how to have a successful care you're on television.
Speaker 4: No, No, you've got to respect the people that you work with, for sure.
Speaker 1: Have you heard from Scotty cam and Shelly Craft? That's what people want to know. Did they text you and say that they'd seen the performance? I guess they'd have to watch it back on ten play.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: No, well, I know Shelley's busy at the moment, and Scotty's busy too, and Neil's traveling, so Darren was the only one just going what the oh my god.
Speaker 1: Darren would have had to have known that was you. I'm sure you've had like an after block drinks and gone to karaoke at some point.
Speaker 2: He had to have known that voice was yours.
Speaker 4: Well, we actually sing on set half the time, like you know, we have a ball doing that.
Speaker 3: But no, he didn't let on that in you.
Speaker 4: But it was only when it was revealed, because it was one of those cases where until it was.
Speaker 3: Sort of announced and sort of happening, going what's going on? What's going on?
Speaker 4: But I was overseas when it was announced at the same time, so I wasn't really accessible.
Speaker 1: Well, I love that it's pre recorded because I was texting chrisy Swan and I was like, shanea blaze, I picked it first week and she was like me too, And she was so annoyed that she didn't go with her gut instinct.
Speaker 4: She said that to me, and it was just it all just threw her because she had texted me going, Hi, where are you and I doing the block you know, blah blah blah, and so.
Speaker 3: She was just like okay, So you know, she was fishing.
Speaker 4: And I was laughing because I'm in the like, you know, in the hardaway cabins out the back when she's texting me, no, no, just busy, you know, when he comes back to Melbourne, sunshining, lah La going for a walk.
Speaker 2: She was so funny.
Speaker 1: I spoke to quite a few celebrities and all of them were talking about it. They were like, oh my gosh, this was such a great performance. It was so good to what she's singing, and it was really nice to hear how many celebrities spoke so highly of you, Like Chrissy texted me back and just said, you know, isn't Chana just gorgeous? And was the general consensus from so many people. That must be really heartwarming to hear.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so lovely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's that's what I'm so happy about doing the Ma Singer is because you've got the mask on and no one knows who you are, so they get to hear your voice and what you're doing before you revealed, so that way they're judging your performance rather than knowing who you are.
Speaker 3: So that's what I loved about it. But then also.
Speaker 4: Comes with it, like, you know, what if I did a really bad job anyway and I take off the mask and go, oh, please go back to your day job.
Speaker 2: Not at all an actual fact.
Speaker 1: I went back and I mean, this is how much I love you. I went back after watching it to find on YouTube different performances of you singing, which there are a few of online as the Christmas Carols, which was amazing, But like I got performances on the Mask Singer under that pressure, you sounded the best that.
Speaker 2: You've ever sounded like.
Speaker 1: It was incredible, like some of those notes that you were holding even when you had the mask off. Because you know, if you've watched the show before some of the slabs, Yeah, take the masks off and they're a little bit that they have to sing is always a bit atrocious as far as you're that's what I think.
Speaker 2: That's me putting words into people's mouth, but it's atrocious.
Speaker 3: I'd do funny.
Speaker 2: You were the best, Like you just lifted it again. It was amazing.
Speaker 3: Ah then you just making me feel so warm. Thank you. I was sick as a dog. That's the hardest thing, in the fact that.
Speaker 4: I had been training all year because I was doing some other music that you know, I just wanted to be ready for.
Speaker 3: But you know, before it started, I.
Speaker 4: Was so sick and I'd lost my voice, and so the frustration of trying to sing. But the fact I could hit those notes while I was while I was really sick, actually warmed.
Speaker 3: My heart, going oh okay, yeah, I've got this, I've got this. So thank you so much. I really, I really absolutely loved it.
Speaker 4: And I think the fact that it was such a joyous experience behind the scenes, everybody was wonderful. You sort of feel at your best, everyone's encouraging you at the same time, and I think, you know that sort of lifted me at the same.
Speaker 1: Time, Well, I just want to hear more singing from you. I think that you need. This is my thoughts, just putting it out. Yeah, hopefully your manager's listening. But I just want to see, like SHANEA Blaze cabaret night on tour around Australia where you pick similar songs like Dion Warwick was a great one for you, but like just some of those, there's a real audience out there that would love to see you do that.
Speaker 4: Watch this space because I was I'm going to do some performances next year.
Speaker 3: They haven't been booked in yet, but definitely. You know, I've been writing for a couple of years my own music and.
Speaker 4: Then also doing some covers. So it's really warmed my heart, you know, wanting to do this. And if the reaction has been like what you're saying, just you know, I'm taken aback.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it's off tap. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I heard that your daughter in law it's Emma, right, I think it's your that's right. Yeah, I heard that she was onto you and you, you know, kind of had to throw her off. But what about your own kids, Carlie and Jest, did they have any idea and like, how did you throw them off the Scand.
Speaker 4: The great thing is that I was away overseas so they couldn't. We were only texting, so that was really exciting. But before it was so funny. So before we even started the show, the kids were all at a barbecue together and Emma said, right, if Eddie and Mum's going to do Master Singer, I reckon it's this year. And she said that you know she's up there she went to Sydney, and Carly said yeah, but when Mum was in Sydney she was so sick. How could she There's no way she could have done it. So there was those two little battles. And so when I did the first song, say a Little Prayer that used to be my kid's lullaby song, and so Jess was in the other room and so he hadn't even seen the performance to start with, and he just ran straight in.
Speaker 3: He goes, oh, that's.
Speaker 4: Mum, that's Mum's boys. And then Emma got thrown and then when Chrissy said it's me, and then so Jess was just yet, that's it, that's it. And then Emma and my daughter in Laura and Carlie my daughter were.
Speaker 3: Both yes no, yes, no.
Speaker 4: So it was just this little battle and it was just the text between us while I was overseas was just so funny.
Speaker 2: It's so fun.
Speaker 1: But do you know what I love about you as well is how involved you are with your adult children's lives, Like you have this beautiful relationship. I think that's really what's one of my favorite things about you, to be honest, and you know, making Country Home Rescuers really good. But actually, off the top of my head, didn't you sing a song for the fort which was the features you did?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did. Wrote. I wrote that with Gary Pinto.
Speaker 4: So we wrote that song and it's called Lullaby to a Son, so it just shortened it to lullaby.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that one. We've done a.
Speaker 4: Film clip too, so I'm releasing that and yeah, it's really exciting. That was part of the igniting, you know, when the kids are doing a movie. I said I'm going to do a song in the movie. That was just sort of the joke to start with, and then that really sort of well not anymore, it happened, but it was that little thing, well I'm going to do this, and so that sort of reignited that the journey to be singing again.
Speaker 3: It really did well.
Speaker 1: This is not a secret, but I have always felt that there is something about you which is just a lot of fun. I think it's I think it's your signature laugh. It's the ability to not take yourself too seriously. But it's also just to get the job done. Where did you get that get up and go from to be able to do all this? I mean, you've one celebrity apprentice. You've done so much. I've always wondered where is all of that energy come from?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Like I came from a very quiet house. You know, my auntie had lots to get up and go and she was always painting and always doing lots of things. So I think my energy could possibly come from her. But it was my dad that had lots of different He always had a finger in some different pie and doing a bit of this and something else. So it was always there was always this point of difference going on at home of like, you know, doing a bit of this and doing something that. Try anything and give everything a go. You know you may not be the best at it, but just why.
Speaker 3: Not give it a go.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter if you're not good at it, so you don't have to be the you don't have to be the best. And I think that's sort of the attitude that I've always sort of had in the back of my mind.
Speaker 1: I remember my dad saying something similar to me, like I wasn't the best at school, Like I was very social, had a lot of friends, and I had a lot of wins with you know, extracurricular activities. But he always said, you know, with your drawing or your singing or whatever, the little things that you want to do. He really was very proud of that and told me to push those things.
Speaker 3: Incorrectly beautiful, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really important to say to children, is you know, to collect those things that you are truly good at and make something out of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what a beautiful dad. That's such good advice. And I think that's the thing is that you.
Speaker 4: Know, we're all worried about what other people think if we fail. And I'm always it's not a failure. If you don't do something, it's better that you gave it a go. And you know, regret is something I never want to have in my life. So just try and if you don't like it, don't worry about it. But even if you love something and you're not fantastic at it, it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 3: But because it makes you happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's the T shirt. That's the SHANEA. Blaze t shirt. No regrets, No regrets.
Speaker 4: Like no regrets, just don't get the tattoos felt wrong? Send enough of those.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I know we have to very quickly talk about the block. I know it's a different network, but you know there was a story about you that came out about you being a little bit furious with some of the contestants behavior this year. Is this season hard or has it been hard for you to watch back? Is there any truth to that story?
Speaker 3: Well, I think when you hear the words source, you know it doesn't come from me. So no.
Speaker 4: But the thing but the thing is, like, you know, I don't know them, I don't meet they'll meet them when the show's over. I don't know any of this drama. So I try and stay away from the drama up when it goes to air too, because it's one of those things they have to work, they have to carry that they're the ones in the public that they've done what they've done.
Speaker 3: But I just I just feel that, you know.
Speaker 4: I don't really want to give it air, Ben, because it's just I'd rather focus on the renovations, because that's all the good bits going on, and the more air we give to bad situations means that people think, well, I'll get attention for it, so now believe alone.
Speaker 1: I think though, the one thing about these contestants is that some of them have got kids and they're going to watch and then they'll have to explain it. And as much as you might think, oh, you know, that must be really embarrassing for them, I think it does lead to an opportunity for them to own some of their bad behavior and talk their kids through it and say, Mum and dad have done the wrong thing here. And I think there might be something powerful in that. Or am I looking for silver linings?
Speaker 3: I don't think you're looking for silver linings. I think I think you know.
Speaker 4: The block is a bubble, and people behave don't behave how they normally win in life.
Speaker 3: So I think, you know, reflection is a good thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always think is really sure. I think people need to make mistakes. But I guess do you think that the drama and house build balance. This is the last question I'm going to ask you about the block, But do you think that drama versus the housebuilding balance is off this season? Do you think it needs to be reshuffled a bit next year?
Speaker 4: I think the thing is you don't know what people are going to do. That's the hard thing. You can't reshuffle it because how people react is how they react.
Speaker 3: It's not part of a script.
Speaker 4: So you know, I think that's a hard one, Ben, It's a really hard one.
Speaker 1: It is a hard one. It's the cut undrum. But you know it's I think people are thinking about. If you're reading the comments on the comment section at the moment, you know it would be hard to ignore what viewers have to say about it. But look, yeah, I don't want to put words in your mouth or put you into a difficult situation, or create another or create another headline for you that you don't need. But what we probably should still quickly tie off is just a few fun questions about the master singer. Was there another song that you had already planned that we didn't get to see? Because I know from some of my friends that have done it before that they've usually foreshadowed what's going to happen the next week?
Speaker 2: What have we missed out on?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: There was a great Tones and I song I was going to do, so I was really looking forward to a different mix of that. But I did have a beautiful Wendy Matthews song, which was you know, paying honor to that. You know you're talking about all these great Austronian singers. My next song was going to be Wendy Matthews and I was really just like bummed.
Speaker 3: I didn't get to do that one that gave me.
Speaker 1: Chills, That actually gave me chills. I love is it the Is it her classic song? Is it you Went Away?
Speaker 4: No? No, I probably wouldn't have been able to get through that performance without crying.
Speaker 3: My dad. No, it was I don't want to be with that, nobody but you from when she was the band.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, if I don't see like a little snippet of that being put on your socials in the next couple of days, I'll be very disappointed. At least put it on your album.
Speaker 3: Maybe in my little cabaret performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, great, well I'm the first person there. You know that. What was I going to say? Oh, well being on stage with Tiny. Do you have any guesses, because that's what I'm pretty sure everyone wants to know. They want to know whether or not you know who's inside that suit.
Speaker 4: I have absolutely zero idea, and because we don't hear any of their performances, and I was away, so I only listened to Chinese performance early this morning, and I have absolutely had no idea. It's a very deep, strong, verberated voice. I don't think he's a singer. I don't know, seems more to be I reckon more somebody in the industry.
Speaker 2: So I think it's Pete Murray, you reckon.
Speaker 1: I think it's And I did text that to Chrissy, and you know when she doesn't want to, well, she doesn't tell me who anyone is ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I've actually put.
Speaker 1: Together like a little dorser of chrisy Swan emojis because he always writes pack emojis, and you know, I've been texting her for long enough to sort of try and string these together. So I feel like I might be onto something with Pete Murray, but he is I don't know if he's a trained singer. Is that what you say about him? I guess he's just an Aussi surfer that loves his guitar.
Speaker 4: I guess is probably where he Pete Murray would be beautiful And it's that sort of thing because it's you know, he has that beautiful low timber to his voice and it's got such a beautiful.
Speaker 3: Slow element to it.
Speaker 4: But you know, and Pete Murray sings in just a very short range, and I think that's that's.
Speaker 3: What sort of is part of that. So maybe he is a singer, but a different type of singer maybe.
Speaker 1: And then the last thing about those costumes, So with this blue bottle outfit, Yeah, is there a reason why they gave you that? I mean, sometimes the costumes are part of the clue, but I couldn't see how that could be a clue for you. What do you think was the reason for them to give you that pun, to give you the blue bottle?
Speaker 3: Well, I know him.
Speaker 4: Part of it was he wanted to make me sexy. So I'm very grateful to Tim about that hard not hard, even Chreasy said it, Oh it's sexy.
Speaker 3: It was about the sting.
Speaker 4: And I think it's got to do with me being a judge that some of my comments can sting, so.
Speaker 3: Maybe that that could be.
Speaker 4: And also working at night having the LEDs and you know, I used to be a singer, so working at night, so it's I don't get to choose the outfit, but definitely Tim, you know, they go through clues and things like that and how it's going to work with it. So I'm quite sure they were the mace, you know, and that was part of the clues and the sting. I'm quite sure it's got to do with you know, people say their house judgments, but are't I just telling the truth?
Speaker 1: I think because you just say it as it is, like you're basically you're You're a bit like me. You're the sort of person that walks into the room and says, if it's someone's dressed as a frog, you're the first person to go, oh, a.
Speaker 2: Frog, you know what I mean. And isn't that the best television?
Speaker 1: I mean, isn't that where shows like Google Box and You and other contests and other judges on shows have become successful is voicing the viewers at home, you know, sitting on the couch at home. And I think that's why you've been on the block for so long, And that's why we love you so much is because you are an extension of the voice of the Australian public.
Speaker 4: What in this shows well, I think one of the biggest things, thank you, Ben is so beautiful.
Speaker 3: I think it's one of those things that I can't hide my facial expressions.
Speaker 4: I wear it on my face, so even if I didn't verbally say it, my face would say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's what was so hard being in the masking is so I've always got this mask on, so people don't even know what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 1: So the other people that you were guessed as though they reached out to you because I know nat Bass got thrown in there at the end.
Speaker 2: Do you know if did any of the other guesses?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, haven't. But I thought that that's was a great comparison. I hope she's not embarrassed.
Speaker 2: I don't think she will be. I don't think she will be. Knowing her, She'll probably ask you to go on tour with her. Oh god, you're in the.
Speaker 1: Roague Traders now. The last question I ask everyone is what is something from behind the scenes, something we didn't see that we won't see, kind of like a behind the scenes secret of the Massinger. You don't have to reveal anything that you can't reveal, but maybe just a fun SHANEA Blaze moment, something that you thought was fun while making the show.
Speaker 4: Oh look, honestly, sitting in the trailer for all that time, the fact that you have to knock on the door for somebody to take you the toilet, and then you have to put your cloak on, I thought I giggled the whole time, you know, because and you have to be quiet, like you have to move, you can't talk so people recognize your voice in between.
Speaker 3: So the fact I had to be quiet then I was so hard.
Speaker 1: All I can say is, Shane Blaze laugh is so signature.
Speaker 2: You would have had to have not been. You wouldn't have been able to.
Speaker 4: Laugh at as soon as really hard, I know when I was on stage on rehearsals, So hard, SHANEA.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being so generous with your time and chatting.
Speaker 3: Oh so good chatting.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see what you do next.
Speaker 1: I feel like every time I've spoke to you, you just level up and do something more and more interesting and more and more fun.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you're amazing. Thanks Ben,