Speaker 1: The come of a milk pass of mother plus.
Speaker 2: I drink your milk. Sink milk was a bad choice.
Speaker 1: Couldn't be happening right now? Do you say nothing? Ere? Hello, welcome, Welcome? You want to say nothing yet?
Speaker 2: Live?
Speaker 3: Thanks for coming. Makes it worthwhile. And there is another sixth Live when we've done, and they've all.
Speaker 1: Been a little bit different. We're very excited today. A great film. Who has seen the movie Back to the Future? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Max, Yeah, anyone not seen it? You haven't seen it? Okay, there are spoilers all the way through this and I'm not changing it. We're gonna have to talk about the movie.
Speaker 1: Thank you. What's your name? Adam? Mal?
Speaker 3: Welcome, Mal enjoyed. So we got a fun movie. We've got great guests. I'm going to start by welcoming our primary guest today, the man who has not seen Back to the Future. Please welcome. You said him on the Project You. I heard him on radio with Fiefe Fev and Nick. Please welcome the wonderful, the very funny Nick Cody get.
Speaker 1: He, Thanks Nick, and thank you for is there a bit of a theme going with your.
Speaker 4: I've had this puffer vest for eight years and for eight years people have been yelling out, Marty been fly.
Speaker 1: And now I get it, which is nice.
Speaker 4: Watched it on Thursday night and I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 1: You get it now, that's great. Okay, kick us off.
Speaker 3: Tell us who you are for all those at home as well, and what your three favorite movies are and the movie you've seen this week.
Speaker 1: My name's Nick Cody.
Speaker 4: My three favorite films are The Prestige, Interstellar, and mcgruber. And until this week I had never seen Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: Steven Spielberg resents Back to the Future Robertson Macers film. Marty leads an ordinary life, normal fly ever a monitor anything in the history of Hill Valley.
Speaker 5: The history of this can change to the future.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is some sexy graphic design right there.
Speaker 3: It's nineteen eighty five and Martin McFly, played by the incomparable Michael J. Fox, has trying to help his friend sined Us and inventor Doc Brown the incredible Christopher Lloyd commemorate his first fora in a time travel but things go awry when Livy and terrorist in a comedy van turn up the gun poor Doc down. Marty manages to escape by jumping into a time machine I read decoed DeLorean and find himself pretty quickly in good old nine PET fifty five before coming face to face with his both his mum, the excellent Leader Thompson, and his dad, the incredible Crispin Glover, potentially erasing the existence of both he, his brother and his sister. The top film of nineteen eighty five from director writer at Robert Zemeckis alongside his writing partner Robert Gail under the watchful eye of Steven Spielberg, Back to the Future is a master piece.
Speaker 1: If you don't think so, you can get Nick Cody.
Speaker 4: Have you ever passed your mum in a parked car? I know I'm from the Western suburbs, but I'm not that I have not. Unfortunately, no, I didn't know it was possible until this film.
Speaker 1: It's possible.
Speaker 3: Why hadn't you seen by the way we had spoken about We've been wanting to do this for how long it's been a couple of years, and a couple of years I.
Speaker 4: Always want to be was there a movie that I hadn't seen? And I said back to the Future and you reacted how most people do, which is what the of you done with your life? And then about a year later, you said you still haven't seen it. I said, I still haven't seen it, and I don't know why. Yeah, I just don't know why I hadn't seen it. Yeah, it looks great.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen an Indiana Jones film either. We'll meet you back here at.
Speaker 4: A year's time for Nicky watching Indiana jonesters.
Speaker 1: A Lost Dark. But I have seen Scarfe saighty five times.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about your three favorite films before we bring our guests out. When you mentioned two Christopher Nolan films, I wasn't expecting a third to be Macgroober. There was a reaction in the room when you said Mago mcgroover of fans in the audience view. Yeah, very silly.
Speaker 1: There's the one willer you love Magroover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great film based on an SNL character, and the character didn't do well on SNL at all. Then they made a film out of it, and it's just it's one of those films. The reason I put it in there, obviously the Godfather one and two are better than Macgrober.
Speaker 1: Well, well, not an idiot.
Speaker 4: It's one of those films that if I I could watch it from any point, and if I saw it on CB at any point, I'd have to watch the rest and I don't need to see the whole thing to enjoy it, Whereas I feel films like The Godfather one and two you have to watch them all. You don't just watch a scene and go that'll do you know? Whereason Gruber little bind size chunks enough.
Speaker 3: And with Interstellar and The Prestige, why, I mean, Christopher Nolan, obviously you've gone past Uppenheimer and you've gone past.
Speaker 1: Up and im Go sucked. I hated it so much. I hated it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I saw it at Imax as it was meant to be filmed. They had to make poor Imax here. They had to change the reels that it could be played on because he couldn't cut twelve minutes out of that.
Speaker 1: How could you.
Speaker 4: We've got to see every meeting on the biggest screen, imaginable, A lot of effort not to see some bombs come on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: Surprised had a little of the bomb we said we actually saw so the Dark Night right, all that you've gone through these two films, why these two films, I don't know just the thing about them that I enjoy so much there are Obviously, once you know the ending, it should make it you never want to watch it again.
Speaker 1: But I still enjoy watching it.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's because I played Ossie Rules and Gridiron growing up and I've had a few concussions. Maybe I forget what happens. But I can watch it again and again and thoroughly enjoy it. I find with the pressed even this week, I've watched it again. I've probably seen it twenty odd times. I just love it, really And there was a little line in there that I didn't even realize, you know, foretold what's coming up.
Speaker 1: I hadn't realized that line in the past.
Speaker 3: I mean trying not to discuss the film backstage, but I'm dying to know if you like Back to the Future or not. We're going to bring out our guests, ladies and gentlemen. First of all, a man, great friend of mine. He first joined the podcast for an episode where he'd never seen Sex Lives and Videotape before. His three favorite films We're Life at Brian, The Godfather and Dirty Rodding Scownges. Please welcome Charlie Bickery. He he, Hey, Charlie, we'll keep moving, bring out our guess out. We'll get chatting soon.
Speaker 4: Please welcome, fantastic really feel welcome. Do you know how to host the show? Charlie, I have a little experience. These were good A fantastic comedia. One of the human Beings. She joined you went to Nothing Yet to discuss the movie Tassi Driver, which he had not seen at the time. Her three favorite films are Dumb and Dumber adaptation and a movie I hadn't heard of, heart Beeps. Please welcome Zoeku's ma.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 4: I just want to get straight into the heart Beats because it is this something to cover up for Dumb and Dumber.
Speaker 1: No, it's even worse.
Speaker 6: It's like, it's one of my favorite kinds of movies, which is when you find one of these, it's such a treat, which is like a big budget turk. It's just like a flop, like a big budget flop that has a really stacked cast and you've never heard of it before, and you're just think, oh my god, this must be incredible.
Speaker 1: It's like one of the worst films I've ever seen.
Speaker 6: It stares like Andy Kaufman and Bernadette Peters as robots who fall in love and it is.
Speaker 1: Extraordinary. It's so unwatchable. Didn't succeed. Has anyone in the audience seen heart Beats? Yes? Did you enjoy it? No, it's a shucker.
Speaker 6: I think it's got like three points on like it's like three out of ten on IMDb or something.
Speaker 1: It's like nothing wonderful, Charlie.
Speaker 5: I was just gonna say the experience of I know of heart Beats, because if it's a very niche thing and this some people in the room maybe too young to remember this experience, but I believe you would be across it when you used to borrow videos from the video store and you would watch the.
Speaker 1: Trailers at the start.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and half the time they were movies you'd never heard of and they weren't available at the video store, and you're always just like, wow, that looks shit, but I want it, you know, like you.
Speaker 1: Get that heart beat. So I remember a trailer and I never saw it in captivity.
Speaker 6: And they're so like it's so big budget, like they've done full prosthetic makeup on all of them, and like you can't really see anyone's face and they're all there like I.
Speaker 1: Love you all the whole It's so weird and so great. It's still three out of ten people like it so wild it holding on to that one.
Speaker 4: Charlie, and I asked you to this podcast. You told me that you saw Back to the Future on the day it was released five.
Speaker 5: Yes, this nineteen eighty five, not an alternate nineteen eighty five, And it was the most exciting film experience I'd had, Like it was unbelievable and nothing really surpassed it for a long time. To go there, it was like first day. It was like first day of summer holidays. Went saw it.
Speaker 1: It was like ten am. And to see Michael J.
Speaker 5: Fox rolling around on his skateboard at the start of that movie, hanging onto the back of cars, You're just going, this is possibly the coolest human that's ever going to walk the planet, Isn't it like that?
Speaker 1: As a kid was just like that?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 1: It's that exact magical moment between childhood and adolescents. That's exactly what that movie was, and it's his. I mean yeah, because I wanted to ask, was the cinema full for the ten am? No reason?
Speaker 4: I asked, Yeah, I saw remember the Titans at Werribe Plaza on score Holidays and year nine, I think, and no Friday night lights. Sorry, And there was no one in there, and the guy running the reel just opened up the screen and said, do you want to get something neat before we start? I got a foot long subway and then he said do you want to see the trailers? And I said are they good?
Speaker 1: And he said nah. He said, we'll just go to the movie. Then we're in that ten And that was the day you became a man. Yes, signed up for the Western Crusaders.
Speaker 3: Zoe, you've seen the film. You wouldn't have seen it in cinemas because I think you were two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was maybe one one. Yeah, I so I wasn't if I did see it, I don't remember very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't remember a time when I've not have seen Like, it's always a movie I've seen. I don't remember watching it. I just have always seen it. Yeah, I don't understand how you've not seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have a theory and maybe, yeah, maybe you're like a time traveler from from a from a time when back to the future didn't exist.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get to Miching to know.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is the big question now, from nine eighty five Roberts Mechus Spielberg, Market Day Fox, we know it? Or did you enjoyn Cody Back to the Future. So I'm going to be honest. Thursday afternoon you called me Pete and he said, have you watched it yet?
Speaker 1: And I said no.
Speaker 4: And that night my wife and I our kids to bed, five year old and two years old, and I said, I've got to watch Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: And she said, well, I haven't seen it. I didn't know that. My wife also hadn't seen Back to the Match Made to Heaven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I said, we'll put it on it coase for two hours. Let's I'll watch half an hour half tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: Thanks for your commitment to the podcast. Watch it on your phone Mechas intended.
Speaker 4: Yeah, split it up, yeah yeah, put it into TikTok three minutes and I'll three minute chunks. We'll watch it over a few days, watch it on the toilet, still in portrait, not even turn the phone. We absolutely loved it. Yes, it flew by, Yes, it was unbelievable. Well both how nice is this to have not seen this movie until now? Loved it start to finish.
Speaker 3: I feel like you gave it a massive rap, then you gave it a bit of a sledge. A couple of bits quite funny. I mean, come on, there are some funny bits to come bits.
Speaker 4: I know, there's some bits that are meant to be funny, yes, and then there's some unintentionally hilarious bits.
Speaker 1: Okay, well name one of those to me.
Speaker 4: The cgi of them reappearing on the photo yes, is just hilarious. I don't know why we found it so funny, and him just got like the worst fading away. You can't play guitar.
Speaker 5: They didn't have the special effects to make him disappear a bit, so it just had to be bad at guitar. Ah, yeah, he's starting to disappear because he's forgotten this.
Speaker 1: But how good How good is.
Speaker 3: That moment when George comes back and kisses Lorraine and then he just he's down and he's back up and he's playing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's good movie stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Too quick of a comeback for him.
Speaker 4: I thought, you know, to regain I am alive in the future, that would take the same amount of time to get your abilities back. But he was straight back in playing guitar. If in the different nineteen eighty five where the dad's punch has given him CTE.
Speaker 1: He's cool in the original nineteen fifty five that he's like, can I help you with that out? Like he's all he got concussed, like checked on bit he hit his head.
Speaker 7: Not well?
Speaker 1: Is not well? In the second patterns as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we didn't realize at the start that they hadn't used different actors to play them in nineteen fifty five. They just used makeup, not knowing that four k Ultra was going to be in the future. And Biff looks like two face. It's all puckery, and it.
Speaker 1: Looks a bit like you know when you're a kid and you put like all BBC glue on your hands and like make it all pucker up on your fingers like that. I think they've just put glue on their faces. You just didn't like that. Everyone's like, no, that's not what they did. They probably just use.
Speaker 5: It's funny because a different conclusion. I thought everyone was sitting there going, yeah, that's exactly what they did. Like I felt like that was just yes, that seems like an accurate factoid of cinema of eighty five.
Speaker 4: Probably the mom they didn't even age it or they're just like imagine if she's allergic.
Speaker 1: To nuts and there's she's just like a bit the same person. You can't change it too. But the dad looks different. She's taking part of.
Speaker 3: His hair and giving them thin glasses. Until I've done, you're gonna play a couple of scenes. Let's have a look at when Marty meets his dad for the first time in nineteen fifty five. This is Marty meeting George McFly.
Speaker 1: Give me, give me a tab Tah, they can't give you a tab lets you order something? They give me a pepsi free. You want a pepsi power, you gotta pay for it.
Speaker 4: Look, just give me something without any sugar rented.
Speaker 2: Okay, some of that sugar? Ay?
Speaker 1: McFly? What do you think you're doing?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm talking to you, McFly? You Irish bog?
Speaker 4: Hey there? Hey guys, how.
Speaker 1: Are you doing my homeward finishment?
Speaker 2: Fly?
Speaker 1: Well? Actually I figured since it wasn't due till Monday.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, any money home? I think flying?
Speaker 1: I gotta have time to recard, so I mean. The framing in these movie is incredible.
Speaker 3: Like Steven fit Spielberg is famous for his framing and how good he is, and he's obviously I think looked and helped Roberts Americas.
Speaker 1: I think with this good was Michael J.
Speaker 4: Fox.
Speaker 1: Oh he's so good.
Speaker 6: One of my the thing I'm most obsessed with about this movie is that it was originally filmed like they filmed most of the movie with Eric Stolts Yes, because they couldn't get Michael J. Fox, And then they went, oh yeah, they filmed like the whole thing, and they filmed a bunch of it, and then they were like, this isn't working, and then they they re shot it all with Michael J.
Speaker 1: Fox regular.
Speaker 5: He was shooting Family Ties at the same time. That was his existing contract, and so he was shooting stuff at night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tis in the day and then he shoot this at night and be back at work to shoot and exit.
Speaker 6: I think they were on different coasts. Were like he was flying, like he was flying all over the shop, like I was.
Speaker 1: Away the fly. He had a working DeLorean, That's the only way it was possible. No, he was like Hermione. He had one of those little necklaces.
Speaker 3: That were so Jamakaus goes to the producers of Family Tires and says, we need Michael J. Fox is not working out. He finally agrees because backs to Bernie had been pregnant, I was pregnant, had come back the set.
Speaker 1: So Michael J.
Speaker 3: Fox was doing a lot of the and he was the breakout star Family Tire. So the Family Tires for those I haven't seen it, to show about hippie parents raising kids and one of them as the Republican Alex Peakeaton Michael J. Fox, and it was supposed to be really about to parents, and then Michael J. Fox becomes a breakout star. So he agreed, but they said, you have You're doing both shows. So he was filming Family Times during the day, jumping in a camp of van, sleeping on the way through the set, and filming Back to the Future throughout the night. His first day on set is actually the scene in the Twin parker More car park when they go back. Eric Stoltz was basically taking the whole thing too seriously, sorry, like it was It's a wonderful life.
Speaker 1: He was trying to be Jimmy Stewart.
Speaker 6: I would pay so much money to see that version, because much money to see Jimmy Stewart do this.
Speaker 3: But Doc, I'm going to the future. So Margaret Fox is Crispin Glover. I mean the physicality throughout the every performance in this film. Everything, everyone's so physical. Chrispin Glover is a freak in this I think he's amazing.
Speaker 1: He's a freaking He's just a freak.
Speaker 6: Is anyone familiar with Crispin Glover's performance art films.
Speaker 1: I'm aware that they exist. Please tell us more.
Speaker 6: Oh, I went to a live screening, like a screening of one where he was there and he presented it and it was like the worst. And I went to art school, so I've seen bad performance art perilments and this was one of the worst.
Speaker 1: It was called Clowny Clown Clown. I've seen that, yeah, and it was my fourth favorite.
Speaker 6: Was it's just Crispin Glover doing like sort of performance poetry going.
Speaker 1: I saw a clown.
Speaker 6: He was walking around clowny clown clown, and then just weird shots of like people rolling downstairs and swashing bananas into their heads and stuff.
Speaker 1: But he's greating. This is the perfect George McFly.
Speaker 4: I just love how animated he is and brings warm just so He's so fun to watch. That's what I loved about him.
Speaker 5: His character I think what Nick's trying to say is Crispin Glover act good.
Speaker 1: And to one of the best, one of the best bullies of all time.
Speaker 5: Biffiff is incredible and also like zero to bully that quickly. Like that's some weird archetypical bully stuff that I, as a nerdy child encountered more than a few times. But there is something about that rendition of us, like that is the perfect group of bullies. Like they want to beat Marty McFly up and they've known him for thirty seconds. It's like they're programmed to do it. They're just a loaming town looking for people to punch.
Speaker 1: The henchman with the like this silly glasses. I'm the lucky one. I'm the short one, not the one who had cross with Arnetts. I like that. Look.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Billy's angeing all three of them, but only has one gets a line. I think in the third one, I think I've never actually seen it.
Speaker 1: Good on him, Good on your billies, ain't you really go in places? Let me turn that into the phantom. Let's have it. Let's have a little bit. Marty meets his mother.
Speaker 3: Now in nineteen fifty five, are.
Speaker 5: You they're there now, just relax, you've been asleep for almost nine hours.
Speaker 4: Now, will name.
Speaker 2: Jim now back in time?
Speaker 4: Nos, Terri Stephen sound now back in Good All nineteen fifty five, excellent, four.
Speaker 3: It's excellent fall Falling Get me harder than it looks. Yeah, to do it comedically, not.
Speaker 6: It's sometimes it's easy. Yeah, it's easy when you don't mean to.
Speaker 1: But if you mean to, it can be hard. Amazed that she's surprised at her mum being home at night.
Speaker 6: I love the implication at the end there that she's taken his pants off and no one else knows. Yeah, Like she's just gone up there, taken off the pants of an unconscious man, tucked him back in and waited for him to wake up, but then gone.
Speaker 1: I hope my mother doesn't find out wherever she is Sweet nineteen fifty five Hospitality.
Speaker 3: I like if you look in the mirror as well. Only noticed that when I watched it this week. She actually cops a bit of a look when she's got she cops a look.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She supervised it, not directed not director Lea Thompson Again is amazing in this. She's so Caroline in the city. Yeah, I recognize her.
Speaker 5: Most of the movie, I would say, like watching it back, I was just like every step of it great. So often when you watch a movie from childhood, it doesn't live up to what you remember, but this does.
Speaker 1: But have to say, put it out there. The sexual tension with his mum is really funny.
Speaker 5: Now I'm a little more aware of that being something to talk about. You know, you watch it, and I'm not saying it's necessarily but it's worthy of conversation. As I say, you know, it's better to have that.
Speaker 1: Stuff out in the open and talk about it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sorry, And what sort of prude has to travel back in time to their stepmom?
Speaker 1: What are you adore?
Speaker 5: Well, you're nerdy enough to build a time machine, so yeah, you're probably a.
Speaker 1: Little bit talk now. I know what movies Nick has been watching.
Speaker 3: So there's the whole thing about Back to the Future where there's one of the criticisms of the film is that why don't his parents recognize him down the track when Marty's born, when he's at the age when you gets him together, why don't they recognize him.
Speaker 1: I've got a bit of a theory, Go Charlie.
Speaker 5: That thought across my mown last night as I was watching it, and I thought to myself, they know him for about forty eight hours, Am I right?
Speaker 1: Like eight days? About eight days?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh those movies are shorter than real time, gotcha. Now, it's amazing when I get this changes at a week. He's got a way, doesn't he. Yeah? Yeah, so it's okay, So it's a week. Okay. But at the same time, I don't think they've got a photo with him. No, they're not spending every minute of the every day, you know, that's right.
Speaker 5: And so if you think back to someone you knew for okay, I'll admit a pretty dramatic week of your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you knew someone for a whek.
Speaker 5: Like I remember there was a weird exchange student that was kind of at our school for about a week once.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did they invent skateboarding and Chuck Berry music?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, the most interesting he was just German. That was the interesting part of him.
Speaker 5: The same with Gerald Hartig and just everything the only story had was about something in Germany.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh, you're not in Germany. Everyone goes on's the auto barn, you know, Like his stories were just about Germany. But what I'm saying is, what were you expecting?
Speaker 6: No, he didn't have any stories from Australia. Yeah, wanker, where are your tails from Tanzania?
Speaker 5: The reason I bring it up I remember him very clearly, could not tell you what his face looks like, Like, I don't remember his face if one of.
Speaker 6: Your children grew up and looked exactly like that guy, because he wouldn't look like him immediately, Like you grow up and then look like that, you might go got our kids. Sort of, he looks like that guy. He kind of looks like that guy that we yeah, then invented chuck Berry music.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he's got a German accent. Yeah. And he plays the guitar and skateboards like that guy invented.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's why the mum drinks heavily because that she's like, looks.
Speaker 6: Like the guy because she's slowly realizing that she tried to fuck her son.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: That big vodka?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's huge that bottle just a I can't think of many movies where the turning point in the movie is based on a mom fucking her son.
Speaker 1: That's what this movie is. Basically.
Speaker 5: It's true and if you look at the movie. There's so much pressure on Marty McFly to not change history. She's the one out trying to fuck her son. No moral culpability on her part at all. It's as much her fault as is It is funny when you rewatch it.
Speaker 3: When I think of Back to the Future, I think of the bully's kind of being kind of cartoon hey, kind of bullies, and then you're watching.
Speaker 1: Go oh, I'm not biff. He is like a rapist. He's actually like a rapist. He is a rapist, yeah, straight in, no hesitation.
Speaker 7: At a point, he is a rapist. Yeah, but also just like so casual about it, going this seed, no peep show. Wow, let's let's have a look at the sea.
Speaker 3: Because for the hero moment that George McFly gets out of the look, hey, you get.
Speaker 2: Your damn hands off. I think you got the wrong Come and fly, George, help me, please.
Speaker 1: Just turn around and fly and walk away? Are you deaf? McFly?
Speaker 2: Close the door and feed it? No bitch, you leave her alone?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: McFly. You're asking for it and now you're gonna get it.
Speaker 4: Help your give me a hand a raise.
Speaker 2: Man, who's these as that's a lie, you're gonna break your arm?
Speaker 1: Leave him alone? What oh? Someone does check on bif too many? Check on bif many, way too many? Check yeah, no one. No one goes up and says, did he did? Are you all right? Do you want to make a statement to the police. I've never noticed how many people win the biff This stray in there. It was half a dozen good punch there from Dad is good.
Speaker 3: You really feel it, don't you. We're not going to show any other scenes the final act. I think the final act is maybe one of the finest final acts in cinema history. I mean, I'd be happy after the enchairment under the Sea Dance if it ended there, I'd be like, obviously I have some questions, what did he get home?
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: But it's a perfect movie up until there, and then this, this final moment of him getting back to nineteen eighty five comes along, and that's mind blowing as well.
Speaker 5: Because you've got you've got three story strands going yep, and it's like the Chairman of the Seed Dance would be enough, or getting the lightning to strike the connect, you know, like the timing that dramatic scene in the building.
Speaker 1: Of that tension.
Speaker 5: That'd be enough, yep, But stop Doc getting from a multi purpose foreign threat, the Libyans, the foreign threat du.
Speaker 3: Jure in the eighties, the bad guys were never American, never American.
Speaker 5: It's like they would have been Iranian, but it was just a couple of years too late, and Gaddafi was getting a bit of action on the table, and Libyans look like they're a bit of trouble. Hey, let's make it Libyans, right, Who've got a comby in a rocket launcher. But to save Doc from the Libyan each of those would be enough of a climax in a movie.
Speaker 1: This was like Lord of the Rings, done faster, more entertaining, just so many.
Speaker 6: Stories finishing, and then when he gets back the changes like the thing. I got a bit emotional went because I've forgotten he gets the car.
Speaker 1: Drive at the end. I was like, you got the car, car?
Speaker 5: But also what was weird the experience of seeing the car. I remember when I was a kid, that was the biggest ute I'd seen in my life. I was like, what's with this American monstrosity of a car, And now you look at it and that's cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this maybe came out. It was it was just so cool. I remember being very cool.
Speaker 3: You remember came out Charlie, Like the skateboarding one of the greatest scenes scenes ever. Maybe want to learn how to scape, but I never did it have a good senate protender of gravity and.
Speaker 7: Peter's alright and having a warment like that was the first time seen of a warkman to control cars.
Speaker 1: Like oh, it was all just very cool.
Speaker 5: It was a time of possibility that the technology looked yeah, kind of like you could put that together from a radio, you know, like nothing was too like Minority Report swiping shit in midair like all that.
Speaker 1: It was like, oh, yeah, that's that's what a crazy signist might be able to cook up. The eighties was like that. It was possible. Yeah, I think because of the Russians.
Speaker 5: I don't know that all the Libyans, all the Libyans I need at on hard rubbish day.
Speaker 1: And I can't going back to the set exactly right.
Speaker 3: One of the I think the strongest things about this film is that you never feel like the exposition, you never see it. There's a lot of information in this film, but it's always entertaining. You watch the opening sequence that opening sequence.
Speaker 1: You learn so much.
Speaker 3: I've actually have come of clocked that so part of the punt. So you start with all these clocks, so you got to we know that time is going to be a theme, that somebody's obsessed with time. There's an article on the walls and the mansion. Doc Brown has lost, the mansion burned down. Platonium has been stolen. We've learned that from the TV newsed by Libyan terrorists. Well, we know this guy's an inventor, he's not necessarily a great inventor. And he's also that this missing that the coffee, there's no coffee mug. When the water comes down, the food, the dog food goes in. There's already it's overloading with dog food. And then three minutes in, nothing's been said yet Marty McFly comes in. We don't even see his face for another couple of minutes, but we know he's obviously young. He knows dock as he's a key to the to the house or the garage, and that he loves skateboarding, and he knows the dog named Einstein's obviously friends. But we can discuss how creepy it is that he's two friends. But at some point, by the way, and the doc has the plutonium. It's under the bare the skateboards come the tracks along.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that shot that goes across with the skateboard to the platonium.
Speaker 1: It's just so beautifully done. Any great scientist, he's got a massive guitar ramp. He guess at that point you go, this is just okay, this is just cool now.
Speaker 3: But it's telling us that he's a musician if he's gonna come and he likes loud music, so that's going to come in handy.
Speaker 1: Everything's there for a reason.
Speaker 5: And then the moment with the guy at school, the headmaster or whatever, Yeah, Strickland Strickland, and Martin mply says to him, the history is going to change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just going, oh yeah, history is gonna shore. Right.
Speaker 5: It's just a cool moment. Everything's laid up and everything pays off. It's so beautifully done. Absolutely, I think they put a lot of thought into it.
Speaker 1: I think they did. Was rejected forty four times, Are you serious? That's right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: There was an executive called Sid Sheinenberg who kind of stood in the way a little bit. He had some ideas he wanted to rename the movie Spaceman from Pluto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which was also Chrispin Gloverer art pro Jets at one point. Oh yeah, I saw that at art school. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was based on when Marty scares George by saying his Darth Vader from the planet Vulcan. He wanted them to change and say I'm a Spaceman from Pluto, and that was going to be the name of the movie. So Steven Spielberg, they were like, we're not changing the name.
Speaker 1: The name's great.
Speaker 3: So Steven Spielberg replied basically saying, hey, Sid, we got your note. Very funny, mate, We are cracking ourselves laughing over here. Keep the jokes coming. And he went, okay, it was a joke. It was a joke, And so they kept the name. Back to the future. In the original there's so many in the original scripts like the dog was an ape. It's one good thing since Schineberg said, he said, it can't be an ape. No movie has ever succeeded with an ape. And they said, what about the Clinicewood movie, And they said, it's a.
Speaker 1: Check mate. So we got a dog. I was going to say, Dunstan checks in. That's an orangutang too. Yeah. Also, I believe Kong did some business, did a bit of business. Well, he's a gorilla. It's gorilla. Yeah, there's a gorilla name. Yeah, I guess I guess he is. Yeah, but he's not real, is he?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, but could I want to play one more clip? And this is the clip again?
Speaker 4: That just it's there's lots of stuff happening here, but it never feels like it's forced down your throat. This is when we learn about the lightning strike the bell tower. This is saving the bell tower. Does your mom know about Tomorrow night, get out of town?
Speaker 1: My mom thinks of God Campbell with the guys.
Speaker 4: Well, Jennifer, my mother would freak out if she knew I was going up there with you.
Speaker 1: When I get the standard lecture about how she never did that kind of stuff when she was a kid. I mean, look, I think the one was born and none. She's just trying to keep you respects. The clock tower saves the clock tower.
Speaker 4: Mel Wilson is sponsoring an initiative to replace that clock. Thirty years ago lik being struck that clock tower, and the clock hasn't run since we at the hill.
Speaker 1: Valley Preservation Society.
Speaker 6: Think it should be preserved exactly the way it is as part of our history inheritage.
Speaker 1: I'll call you tonight, I'll be my Grandma's here. Let me give you the number.
Speaker 3: But it's so brilliant because I mean, he leaves me throw out that that's a thing that gets you back to the future at the end of the movie.
Speaker 1: Thatthing that is the power of love. That is the power of love. That is and that's the lesson thank you for joining us today. Also what a sexy line before she goes I'll be at my Grandma's. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The other thing, obviously, they're the presence of Huey Lewis and the news Power of Love, which was the biggest.
Speaker 1: Song of that year. It was unbelieving.
Speaker 5: Huey Lewis lovely cameo in the movie is the guy auditioning the bands for the for the ants. But that what I also remember very clearly from seeing it at the cinema was at the movie ends and they go to credits and they go hard to Power of Love again at the end of the movie, right, And it's amazing and it has such an impact because the song is so good and the credits hit and you know it's the end of the movie. And I since then, I've always thought all movies should end just cutting to credits.
Speaker 1: Power of Love.
Speaker 4: After that scene where he gets rejected from Battle of the Bands and he's only pretty much just kicked off, he's walking with his girlfriend and she's comforting him, saying, Hey, it's all right, Marty, it's all right. You know there's another chances you'll be fine. This is how Marty goes with that situation.
Speaker 1: Reelect or Goldy Wilson.
Speaker 2: Progress is middle name full out. You're never gonna get a chance to play it, frontay all mighty one. Injection is at the end of the world.
Speaker 1: Now, I just don't think I'm cut out from music. But you're good, Marty, You're really good. And this audition tape of yours is great.
Speaker 2: You've got to send it into the record company.
Speaker 1: It's like doctor Yeah, I know, I know, if.
Speaker 4: You put your mind to it, you can accomplish any.
Speaker 1: That's good advice, Marty. All right, okay, Jennifer, What what if I send in the teap and they don't like it? I mean, what if they say I'm not good?
Speaker 2: What if they say get out of your kid, You've got no future.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just don't think I can take that kind of rejection.
Speaker 4: I'm obsessed with that scene. He's failed. She's trying to pump his ties up. He purves are two asses and she's like, oh, Marty, shaky dog that in twenty twenty four, you're getting a slap and it's fucking game over.
Speaker 1: What a time.
Speaker 3: I didn't say anything. If you want any clips, let me know. I was very surprised that was the one you came back with my.
Speaker 4: Wife and I lost it. She's trying to help him out and it's not even as subtle. He's got Sonny's on and it's a quick sideways glance. He's like, oh, a couple of asses over here.
Speaker 1: Sorry, wait for a saying about I'll have more chances. Okay?
Speaker 3: Nick, who was who told Marty during the Pinheads audition this has been mentioned in the show already today that their music was just too damn loud.
Speaker 1: Huey Lewis.
Speaker 3: Huey Lewis is correct, Nick Currdy on the board where you've dug deep, This podcast comes with homework. I do appreciate all of you watching Back to the Future experiencing it for a new time, brand new time at the first one for.
Speaker 1: You and three is great. Yeah they're good. Yeah they're great. It's pretty good. Yeah, it's worth it.
Speaker 5: Crack. You know. It was weird though, I don't know if you noticed. It was like three Back to Future. Three was the one that Charil ten would play like once a month. It was obviously much cheaper than one or two.
Speaker 3: Well Channel Tenner's famously, I'm afraid they still do it, but when the election would be on the federal election, they wouldn't do an election coverage. They would like play an Adam Sandler movie and it would always win because not everyone wants to watch an election. Yeah, you know, so it brings true rings true. Thank you so much everyone for coming out to see you ainted Nothing Yet Live. Please thank the people who did their harming zorikuz Ma go see it at the Comedy Festival. Charlie Tickering check him out on the weekly and of course Nick Hody.
Speaker 1: You very much.
Speaker 2: And so we leave old Pete safe and soul and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name