Speaker 1: Head into chemist warehouse, purchase any new Ego qv Serahides product and you'll go in the running to win a bloody car. And it's downstairs in the parking lot. We've all seen it every day when we arrive.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a pretty little.
Speaker 1: Car, shiny, isn't It might not be there long. No competition ends on a twenty second affair. Teas and sees apply. You ladies, know Hugh Sheridan, right, Yes, we do. Well. This is actually it's a really tragic story. So who has opened up about a horrific experience that happened when a couple spiked his drink That I.
Speaker 2: Was in Sydney a few years ago and I was around Melbourne Cup dying.
Speaker 3: I actually got someone drugged me. Two people drugged me, and.
Speaker 2: I know I was stuck for about eight hours.
Speaker 1: Truly awful. And the reason I bring this up is because you don't often hear it happening to men. It's often a female lad narrative.
Speaker 2: It's actually so frightening.
Speaker 3: I've been drugged three times, by the way, you care. Yeah, and I know that Laura's had a situation. I have so many friends as well or female friends that have been in this situation too, like it is so problematic, but it's so prevalent, and I think think a lot of people don't know how prevalent it is because it's not wildly reported. I know what happened to me. I didn't because there was a part of me that was like, well, what are they going to do about it? Anyway? How are they going to prove it? Like you just think that? And I think that most women think that unless there's a way for them to feel that they one hundred percent can be heard and something can be done about it.
Speaker 2: And also I mean, like, what has happened to you here? Often you don't know. You don't remember because of the whole situation because you don't have you know, you don't have your cognitive ability, you've been drugged, you don't know. So it's really hard to then talk about something when you don't know the specifics. But like you know, even with what you're saying for it, like it's happened to you three times, it's happened to me once. I know so many women, and I think that it's it's something that we have to be conscious of as women. But you don't hear men like how many times have you left the house and gone out and thought, well, better be careful that my drink doesn't get spiked, and not once.
Speaker 1: It is not a thought that is top of mind for me when I go out clubbing or drinking and with friends as well, never think about it.
Speaker 3: I think about it all the time.
Speaker 2: But this is the thing, right, Like the scary part of this story, and it's something that I hope that everyone is really conscious of, is that it doesn't just happen when you're at a nightclub or you're out with strangers. Like my experience was with someone who I thought was my friend, so I think you know, and in this experience with Hugh Sheridan, it was someone who he thought was his friends and people he knew, And I think that that is something that's very underrepresented and not talked about enough. So I mean, it is so brave of you to come forward and share this story, but also just to really highlight that not only is it strangers, it's people that you know that can be the people at bottom of this well.
Speaker 3: I mean one of mine was on a date, one of mine was a barman. So that made me very worried, disgusting because you can be as careful as you want covering your drinks and you know, walking around a bar, but if it's come from behind the bar when you've ordered, it's out of your control. And the other one was a patron, just at a nightclub kind of like outdancing.
Speaker 1: Well, the other thing you hear is is you get taught this. I mean, we got taught in school when I was in school. And you tell your daughters and parents, tell your kids when they're going when that age about to go clubing when they're seventeen eighteen. But this happened to Hugh when he was in his thirties. I mean it happened to both of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I also think on that you become so because when you are eighteen, you're very hyper vigilant. You know you're eighteen and that you've heard all these horror stories and you think, oh god, I'll cover my drink, and you walk around with your hand over your vodka Cruz or whatever it is. But then when you get into your thirties, you think, I'm way past this as being a possibility.
Speaker 3: This is completely irrelevant what I'm about to say, but I'm going to say it on the person I was on a date with that drug me. He was the biggest geek, right, I was like, this guy.
Speaker 1: Is the biggest geek, unassuming.
Speaker 3: But very endearing. And what I mean by that is it was just for the cliche who you think is going to drug you? I do want to say to cliche, but who comes to mind when you think of someone's going to drug you out a nightclub? This person, for me was the furthest thing that I would have thought it would have happened with. And again, you can never judge a book by its cover. We know that.
Speaker 2: I'm so grateful that Hugh felt confident enough to come out and speak about this because I think it is such an important reminder for everyone, not just parents, but for anyone listening that you know, you have to be so conscious that this does happen. It still happens all the time, and it is hugely underreported and underrepresented, and I just think, you know, putting in shining a light on it is like the only way to protect people.
Speaker 1: Totally good on you, Hue Amura. That is us to pick up done for you.
Speaker 3: Wednesday, Happy Wednesday. See big topic to end on.
Speaker 1: But you know now I've got this will turn you around ready, Will and Woodie the Boys are up next, with one thousand dollars for Australia's easiest Queze'll see tomorrow Run