Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, so news in my house and my eighteen year old she left home in January. She's been at university. Now, I don't know whether it's the lack of hygiene at university. She's she's got quite ill with this very severe tonslighters. So we took her the GP and said, look, it might be the ton slides. You can get actually very very ill with you and you know with tom sliders. She said, look, we might as well take your daughter's tonsils out, right, So next Tuesday, my eighteen year old daughters having her tonsils removed. Now in the eighties, probably the same here you Patsy. They ripped those tonsils out for fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, primary school. I remember kids in the center. It's like you gotta saw scratchy throats, get them out.
Speaker 2: That's it. We used to beg not to go to the GP. It was like the kiddie catcher and chitty chitty bang bang. He's dangling children's tonsils. I'm mine ripped out.
Speaker 4: Scratch your throat.
Speaker 2: Next thing you know, they've got the old gas mask on.
Speaker 1: Come backwards.
Speaker 4: I'll just take a lozenge. Please don't do we need the tonsils. I don't know what do they do.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they're thore is it? Are the tonsils like dust flaps? Yeah, you know so as muck impurities come into the the airways. Is part of a filtration system.
Speaker 5: I believe. So that's what my mom said.
Speaker 2: It's sort of have you got tonsils?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know what. I should have had them out because I still occasionally get tonsils.
Speaker 3: Never had a sore throat since Yeah, see this is the agony.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not a nice procedure.
Speaker 2: The speedball things at the back of your throat, those tonsils side.
Speaker 3: Wait, the speedball. You should still have the speedball. That's not the tons that's tonsils, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Open your mouth?
Speaker 2: You should say, what's the speedball?
Speaker 4: Then the speedball? Is it the.
Speaker 2: Where we go? It's a different part of the body at the end. Do you mean like that?
Speaker 5: It looks like a boxing bed speedball?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 2: The tonsils are like two sort of danglis. No, the testicles.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, it is the punching bag.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, tonsils are There's one on the left and one on the right. It's further away from the punching bag, isn't.
Speaker 3: It from top of the top of the throat or bottom of the.
Speaker 5: Throat, bottom mount they I thought they were bottom.
Speaker 2: I mean I have been now to that ege year old when she started, I went, yeah, they're the dust flaps. So let's get the dust flaps out. Get one of those dust flaps, just let that dust get in there. Yeah. She's going to be off for like two weeks I think from UNI. So she thought she'd escaped home. She's going to come back and recover. It's like misery, all right, So can anyone call us up right now? We clearly don't know what the speed bag is? The what's it called? Ulna?
Speaker 4: The U.
Speaker 2: A special like voice Free with sailor.
Speaker 5: Kurstler.
Speaker 2: What are the tomsaws? Can anyone help us? Please?
Speaker 7: They?
Speaker 2: And are they part of three things? Now? Speed balls?
Speaker 3: And then the thing on the left and right. Well you should only have one speedball. If you're multiple of those, that's that's looking weird.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: What do you know about tonsaws? My eight? You know, old daughter Ruby has got hers removed next Tuesday and had mine ripped out, as a lot of kids did when they were younger. In the eighties, they used to just take them out for fun. I don't know where they were getting cash kick back some of these surgeons.
Speaker 4: Like when you turned old cans and get ten cents per ca.
Speaker 2: I don't know anyone who got out the eighties with the tonsaws and the other thing I'd removed as well. They took those out of someone called the adenoids.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, Audrey Nellie had to have those out.
Speaker 4: Where are they?
Speaker 5: They're in the ears, aren't they?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they going and rubberts. You go out the back of my throat at the back here, let's take a quick sharp turning those out. All right, So who can tell us anything about tonsils? Julie?
Speaker 8: Come morning, Good morning, How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good, Julie. Now I understand we should definitely talk to you. You're a midwife.
Speaker 8: No, I'm not a midwife. I am a nurse though.
Speaker 2: Oh your nurse. How great you know about this? What can you tell us about the three things at the back of our throats?
Speaker 8: Well, you annoys, they're actually up your nose, so I'd be worried if they're in your throat your usula, which is that your punching bag? I think you're referring to it a medical term. Yeah, it's a medical term. Is just a piece of soft tissue that stops when you swallow. Stop your food going up your nose.
Speaker 4: Basically, I mean, how's the food going to go defy gravity and go up the back of there?
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it be to stop it going down the air?
Speaker 8: Have you never laughed enough that your water comes out your nose and things like that?
Speaker 4: Walking on this show.
Speaker 2: On an old shown.
Speaker 8: Your tonsils are just part of your lymphatic system, so you basically it's your body system that filters all, you know, infections and all the stuff that you don't need. And it just the batually three sets of tonsles, but the ones at the back of your throat are just a sort of like a holding area I guess for the infection where then it's attacked.
Speaker 2: Outside that the balances go, whoa are you in? Bacteria ain't coming on the list.
Speaker 8: And then you're true if it's the bacterial one, that's why you get passed on your tonsls, where the ones where you don't get passed on your tonsils is generally a virus, so you don't need anybody.
Speaker 2: She's got puss on her tonsils, and I just presume that was university life after six weeks. I'm not worry another world coming down for eighteen years keeping puss off them tonsils.
Speaker 8: Well, some started university in America and got tonsil artists about six times in a row. I don't want to know why. I think a glandular f So.
Speaker 7: So when you.
Speaker 3: Don't have tonsils duly and you don't have that bouncer protecting from bad backcateria, you're just letting anybody into the bar.
Speaker 8: No, because you've got three sets, as I said. And also, your lymphatic system is not just.
Speaker 2: Your tonsils, Jack, It's so much more. The lymphatic drain is system.
Speaker 8: You know, you know your lymphins. When you get a virus or a cold.
Speaker 2: You set.
Speaker 4: So where are your other tonsils?
Speaker 8: So further down.
Speaker 4: Like three sets of bouncers, Yeah, you only.
Speaker 8: See what you can only see one set.
Speaker 2: That's like John Wick. You don't want to meet him. Guys, we do a really good work for science here. First I listened to Monash University's medical debarment.
Speaker 8: No no, no, no, that's a very rudimentary and that's my understanding it of I'm an a d nurse, so I know a little bit about a lot, so not a lot about a little so.
Speaker 4: Very detailed to us, Julie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you work in the emergency departments, I do. Did you get what that ED stood for? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I knew that was an emergency.
Speaker 2: Department. That was a shout out to ED.
Speaker 4: I was about to say thank you for the work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well what we're waiting for?
Speaker 4: I was just waiting for you.
Speaker 2: Ready, well fill the gaps, Judy, thank you very much, she called me pleasure.
Speaker 4: Thank you for all the work you and your colleagues.
Speaker 2: There we go, all right, Judy, let's go to Alex. Alex, what can you tell us about tonsils?
Speaker 6: Well, I had mine taken out when I was ten. I've got a twin sister who had tons for lighters, and so they did a two for one.
Speaker 2: Can they do that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: So you didn't even have tonis yourself?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, they just got him out at the same time.
Speaker 7: And that was when I was ten, and like a family discount and going listen, Christian, if there's any medical procedure you need whilst she aughts in, we can have a look at what's going on with you and take something out of a sex to me or anything.
Speaker 2: Really, it's two for Tuesday. We call it this hospital pretty much.
Speaker 6: But then, yeah, last year I had a sore throat and noticed a lump at the back of my throat, went to the doctor, ended up in surgery and it was tonsal tissue. So my tonsils were trying to grow back.
Speaker 2: They can grow back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, apparently it's not that common, but yeah, they can grow back.
Speaker 2: Is it like when they chopped down a tree? Nor would they coat the root? Don't they to stop it regrowing? They obviously didn't coat it. What have you got to do?
Speaker 6: I think they didn't dig far enough there. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, they're rushing to insist that.
Speaker 6: Growing up, my grandmother always told us that hers grew back, So I wonder if it's genetics.
Speaker 2: You've got those mutant jeans you hold from a whole family of crobacus.
Speaker 4: I'm actually rooting for them. I hope they do come there.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, Alex, that's a great call. Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry you have a good day well.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's Show podcast