Speaker 1: Here at two good Sports.
Speaker 2: We would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we record this podcast. There were Inuri people. This land was never seated, always was, always will be. Happy birthday to you, Happy beirthday to you, Happy beth Day.
Speaker 3: Dear is Jealmy.
Speaker 1: Happy belidd birthday to.
Speaker 3: You in French?
Speaker 4: Are you actually, George enough of that once you get over a certain age you don't want to acknowledge birthdays.
Speaker 3: But welcome good sports.
Speaker 1: Dear listener.
Speaker 2: I hope that you were singing along with me, because one of the goodest sports that you'll ever meet abs Gelby. It was her birthday since the last time that we spoke, and she's radiating joy and wisdom.
Speaker 4: She's radiating sleep because the one thing I asked for was my parents to be in down to help out with a small child.
Speaker 3: So I am well slept, but no, I had a really nice dage, Georgia. It's very sweet, thank you, But how are you my good sport?
Speaker 1: Ah? Well, do you know what? You're well slept?
Speaker 2: And I actually am not, and it leads into my bad sport of this episode. We're starting strong because you know what, I cannot stand sleep paralysis.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had that before?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Before coming in today to record, I was like trapped in a limbo where I was in bed. It's been so windy anyone who's sitting in the southeast of the country. And I could not get any sleep, so I moved myself to the couch because the windows were rattling so much. So I went to the couch and I was like sleeping on the couch and I was like, please, let me get a couple of hours. I've got a podcast to do. And then I had this crazy thing. It's like where you're trapped and you're asleep, but you're not asleep, so it's like you're conscious but you can't yeah. Yeah, And people you see all those memes where it's like a sleep paralysis demon and it's like that, you know, naked monkey moving across across the grass for a towel. I love, I said naked monkey as if monkeys were close. But honestly, bad sport. If you haven't ever experienced it, good for you. My bad sport is get it out of my head. No sleep paralysis demon.
Speaker 3: It is the worst.
Speaker 1: It's the worst.
Speaker 4: I was about to say sleep paralysis is actually very handy for the time zone in Paris. Oh yes, that would have been really handy for the Paralympics. A bit of a disclosure. We are recording earlier, earlier this week than usual, so we're not going to dive into the Paralympics lest we miss something. Yes, before this actually goes to air, so we're not ignoring it. We just don't want to miss any of the big headlines, so we are going to be addressing that in a later perhaps good Sport, Bad Sport an episode.
Speaker 1: But what have you got for me? Good sport, bad sport.
Speaker 3: Bad sport.
Speaker 1: Oh no, double bad sport, double bad. We took too much joy with the singing.
Speaker 4: Okay again, this is going to give away the time of record, but whatever. Last night, the All Australian squad was announced. The group photo looks like Year twelve private school boys got it.
Speaker 3: Just didn't want to be there.
Speaker 1: I've not seen it so mad.
Speaker 4: The Sydney players, which had the majority of players in this lineup, decided not to wear a tie. And your Australian needs to get a blazer. It's very augusta you get presented a blazer. Yes, they just didn't wear ties. What do you mean so they had that the open It just looks so they look like a yachtsman. It looks ridiculous, Like make it mandatary that they all wear ties.
Speaker 2: So sorry, don't wear times. I've just seen a quick photo. My first look at the photo, and you're so right.
Speaker 3: All those tie goes for one kilometer.
Speaker 1: I'm immediately like, Goulden Heeney, where are your ties? What is going on?
Speaker 3: They look very Sydney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, you're so right. They're at the yacht club.
Speaker 3: Congratulations to all.
Speaker 4: But I just think maybebe make it mandatory that they all wear the same tie.
Speaker 2: And if we're being serious about being named in a national in quotation marks team, maybe play a game.
Speaker 4: Okay, just because you have state of origin doesn't mean.
Speaker 1: I'm just I say it every Yeah, it's such.
Speaker 4: It's so confusing, though, Mike, where do these if we announce the vix and the All Stars. I get it, and I do think they're a space for origin in AFL to come back and it was always fix versus everyone else. Yeah, but you can't have the best players take on everyone else. It would be a crime scene. And also they all play out a position. There's like four hundred midfielders in that site.
Speaker 1: Actually, you're so right.
Speaker 4: I've got one wingman because they're like, how else do we get decos in this site?
Speaker 3: And we can't not give it to Dacos. So it is.
Speaker 4: And also Marcus Bondepelli got the AFL Player's MVP Award, which is always a nice precursor to who might win the Brown Lot.
Speaker 1: Do you think that that seals it? Do you think favorite?
Speaker 4: No, it depends on it's if you have players in your team that still votes from you potentially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're so right, but it is one that means a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because didn't tra Law also get named in the All Australia did So maybe he's pinched a couple of he's playing with the Bulldogs, right, maybe he's pinched like a couple of votes away from the Bond. But other than like the Bond, surely it's Crips.
Speaker 1: Otherwise I can't really I don't really know.
Speaker 4: Well, Bond was also captain. He was an All Australian captain and the vice captain was Crips. Are they going to be wrestling for a Brown Low? No one knows decos is also like I would like to enter the chat, so.
Speaker 3: That's all to come.
Speaker 4: But my bad sport while not talking about sport is my God's sort out your ties. But what we are actually talking about this week is a topic of such interest to me because it's one of those ones that has fun facts riddled through it, where I go, they're earning how much to do what now? And we're talking about athletes as a personal brand. That's coming up, George. Long before we ticked, or talked or uploaded a Hudson filtered square image to the grid, hell, even before we updated our status with.
Speaker 3: What's on our mind?
Speaker 4: Like the diary entries that no one asked for, do not deep dive back into yours by the way you start to to who you were as a person. But long before social media, people of influence have been used to sell products because if they use it and we use it, maybe we're not so different from the superstars after all. And arguably the most influential people in the world of mega advertising dollars are athletes MJ. Brady, Pele Becks, Ronaldo Messi, Rogers Arena Ali Bolt. These are all one name brands that transcend their sport and become somewhat demigods, but also walking billboards and Georgie.
Speaker 3: No one cares.
Speaker 4: Well, you don't care that you're selling space on your guernsey if you've got a Nike Swush or an under Armour badge.
Speaker 3: All we care is that you perform in the arena.
Speaker 2: Yes, and if that Nike Swush has helped you, maybe it will help me at my under thirty fives netball social game.
Speaker 1: On the weekend.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: And do you think about the most lucrative advertising space in the world, and that's during a sports game at the Super Bowl. Hell, they basically become movies in themselves and the money that goes into it.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 4: But as I said, this has been Jesus probably had a logo on him. This has been going on for a very very long Pio. So why this week when a very prominent Australian athlete is supposedly wanting a trade from a club for one of the reasons being again supposedly because we haven't heard from Christian Petrarca about why he hasn't confirmed he'll be at the Demons next year. One of the reasons supposedly is that he wants to build his own personal brand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, q Upprol.
Speaker 2: Apparently not allowed to want that. You're not allowed to publicly or overtly want that. Especially in this country. This has been a topic that you know, Jemy, I mean you and I. We love sports, so we talk to each other about sport all day, every day, every week, right.
Speaker 3: Remember that time we started a podcast here we are here, we are here, we are.
Speaker 2: But this is one of those conversations where and I know that we're both based in Melbourne, but where I'll be war looking through the office and they'll be just a group huddled together, men, women, and they'll all be talking about track and what he's doing, and what's going on at Melbourne and what's the real issue going on there? How could everyone have stuff this up so badly? Why isn't he talking to his club? Why won't he confirm for twenty twenty five?
Speaker 1: It is an.
Speaker 2: Issue that has really captivated a lot of the country.
Speaker 1: And I think you're right, Jealmy.
Speaker 2: I think it is because he's dared to say something that people go oh and judge him for.
Speaker 4: And more the point he hasn't said it, there's just a gaping chasm where he hasn't said anything. Yeah, and we're waiting to find out what commentators have come in the commentary because I am a nerd and I listen exclusively to sports talkback.
Speaker 3: Is how dare he?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Just play the game.
Speaker 4: Your brand, You've got a Norm Smith medal, you've got a Premiership, just your brand. It shouldn't be about you. It should be about your teammates and the sport. And I thought, my god, how Australian.
Speaker 2: How Australian, especially when you consider the context that surrounds Christian Ptruck and this particular AFL season. Wind back the tapes, you will find an episode of you and I calling his club a bad sport.
Speaker 3: You were like, who let him back out.
Speaker 2: There after he suffered what I mean, armchair expert over here could deem at the time a disgusting injury, like a horrible injury, right, and then he got back onto the field with four broken ribs.
Speaker 1: I think it was a punctured lung and a ruptured spling.
Speaker 4: This is during the King's Birthday match, which is of course also the Big Freeze, so we are going way back when. But it was one of those ones where to defend the doctors at the club. You just don't know the level of damage at that time, and players go back out there.
Speaker 3: With broken ribs all the time. Bizarre, But here we are.
Speaker 4: And also what we're discussing today isn't Christian Petrarca.
Speaker 3: It's athletes as a brand.
Speaker 4: But we feel like this context is really important if we're going to use him as a springboard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think that it's something that a lot of people are just I don't think they've purposely forgotten about it, it's just they're choosing a different path right now and focusing on him as a brand rather than him as a person. Yes, not even him as an athlete, him as a person. Because he went through such a scary time. He went back out on the field, whatever your thoughts are about that, he ended up needing to go to hospital, was rushed to hospital, had to undergo surgery for all of those injuries, which were likened to some that you would experience in a car crash, had to undergo surgery, and it was all happening so quickly. He didn't go under general anesthetics. They just numbed the area, so he was awake for it all.
Speaker 3: And you're talking the spleen.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, like your abdomen is being cut open and you're awake.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I'm sorry. I've had nightmares that were more charming than that.
Speaker 2: Sleep paralysis demon there you go, Oh my god, I mean track, I know it's not exactly the same, but.
Speaker 3: Could you talk about sleep paralysis?
Speaker 4: He actually said, since then, I've had insomnia where I'm just reliving that moment. And he also talks about what his fiance said.
Speaker 2: Oh. Yes, there was a time apparently in the hospital during his recovery and immediately in that aftermath of his surge because he had internal bleeding, that she got a phone call at three am saying from a surgeon saying, oh, we don't know if he's going to make he's in a critical condition. Yeah, Which you can't just bounce back from that. So obviously there's going to be some discussions going through your mind about what your future may look like. And then if you're already a person who thinks about what life is like away from the footy field, Christian Petrarca is a brand, Yes, like him away from footy with his cooking and being a chef and all of those things. I mean that just for me is a natural progression then that of course that would be included into any kind of discussion.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, But I think it's also he is like anyone who went through car crash like symptoms post an accident that happened in the workplace, I'd probably have some questions about how it was managed. But it's more that the story has come out that he wants to be traded to a larger club in Melbourne, i e. Ideally a Carlton or a Collingwood, because Melbourne are a big fish.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, the oldest club in the AFL. Right, that he.
Speaker 4: Would like to do so because there's more eyes, there's more fan and there's a bigger brand. This is what's been suggested by people in the know.
Speaker 1: That's his crime.
Speaker 2: I would say, he's put it out there that he would love more attention, but he hasn't.
Speaker 3: Others have on his behalf.
Speaker 1: You're right, You're right, others have on his behalf, but.
Speaker 3: He hasn't denied it.
Speaker 4: Yes, so there is a window there. But you speak about Track the brand, Yes, he has one hundred and seventy two thousand followers as we speak on his personal account and since that accident that happened way back on the tenth of June. His personal brand has aligned with Online Ralph Lauren, Fragrances, Colgate, Samsung, Laroche, prose Yopro, and my Protein. So this is since that accident, but that's not where arguably his brand lives. His brand lives on on Track five at on Track five again, this is all via Instagram, where he has four hundred and seventy three thousand followers, and on that account, he has in the last couple of months, like we're not even talking way back to the accident, aligned with Australian Eggs, Sporting Globe, Coppro, Mistate, Mount Barker, Chicken, Primo Foods, VIC Markets, Bibby Foods. Firstly, all of those call us. Call us because we were sports.
Speaker 3: We would love to work with you.
Speaker 2: If I.
Speaker 3: Love Coppro Mistake, I've got shares in.
Speaker 1: It, he's not even alive.
Speaker 2: I've got shares in it because I believe so much in that company.
Speaker 4: So none of this is us putting shade on Christian Petruka for what he's done since the accident. But what we're saying is he is a brand and each one of those would be a lucrative alignment that will set him up for life after sport. So why is this such a big deal.
Speaker 2: Because it's also nothing that's new, right, Like, we have seen this in an international context for decades.
Speaker 1: Ever since we were kids growing up.
Speaker 2: I remember Michael Jordan in what was it a Warner Brothers movie, Space Jam, I've got the shirt.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, he is bigger than the sport.
Speaker 4: So we decided to zoom out, yes, because it's all been very tight on Christian. So let's look at the largest sporting landscape. Because when we started looking at some of the numbers that the world's biggest athletes have made from endorsements over the year, Wow, wow, wow, they are just fun fact after fun fact.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's incredible.
Speaker 2: I mean I only recently watched that movie with Matt Damon called Air, which is allegedly tracking, like you know, based on a true story, tracking Michael Jordan's assent and how he actually got the shoe deal in the first place with Nike.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so MJ's where we obviously need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have to.
Speaker 4: We have to do Georgie over his illustrious career at the Bulls.
Speaker 3: How much money did he.
Speaker 2: Make ninety four million dollars American American.
Speaker 4: Not bad, stunning, not bad, very very comfortable. How much has he made from air Jordan more than ninety four million, over one and a half billion dollars, and his net worth he's apparently three point five billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Who us, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And so Jordan really started this trend, particularly of sneakers, yes, and athletes.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And you may remember how have I got him into this episode? No one knows.
Speaker 4: Noah Lyles after winning the one hundred meters his first thing he said in the press conference was I want a sneaker.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, not a pair of spikes.
Speaker 4: I want a sneaker because that is where the money is.
Speaker 2: So it's also because it because essentially it's giving him a passive income, right totally, and a very very lucrative one. The being like Mike, oh, oh my god, my god. It's it's just a phenomenon. Because the biggest year in sales for Nike's Jordan brand was in twenty twenty two, two years ago. It's not something that's depreciating. If anything, it just keeps ascending, keeps ascending, keeps climbing.
Speaker 3: Speaking of just keeps climbing.
Speaker 4: This is probably my greatest example and my favorite example of what these endorsements can do. Caitlin Clark. Yes, so she's a rookie, a rookie in the WNBL.
Speaker 3: Wish a rookie.
Speaker 1: She was here.
Speaker 4: She's a rookie in the WNBA and arguably one of the biggest names in women's sport and very famously earns a fifteenth of what her male counterpearts do in the NBA. But she signed a twenty eight million dollar contract for eight years with Nike.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so this is and has serial brands. Yes, that's what I am and all of these different things. So this actually helps immensely female athletes with high profiles because she hain't making what Jordan did over her career.
Speaker 2: No, she might what Jordan did, but she could potentially get there, like this is the path, right, and she's had to be very clever in the initial stages of her career. As you say, she's a rookie, she's only in her early twenties in being aware of herself as a brand and marketing herself that way.
Speaker 4: And the one thing I will say is that no one ever over Michael Jordan's career went. Do you think the bloke needs to take basketball more seriously and think less about shoes? I mean, if you've watched the documentary on Netflix, his teammates were like, he needs to do less, he needs to do less, he needs to do less.
Speaker 1: Just chill.
Speaker 4: When you are performing on the court, no one cares about what you're building outside of it.
Speaker 3: If you're an American, if you are an American.
Speaker 2: Case in point, Tiger Woods, right, one of the biggest golfers us growing up. I think that we really did hear about Michael Jordan, and we heard about Tiger Woods. Like anyone who was like, who's the best athlete in the world, people would say Tiger.
Speaker 3: And again, swushh, this.
Speaker 1: Is Nike, Nike, this is Nike. This is Nike.
Speaker 3: So now I think of his son with an identical kit, also with my kids.
Speaker 2: So right with that red, that red shirt, that red rolo, the red, it's the red, It's the red Polo.
Speaker 1: And look at that. It's so identifiable to us.
Speaker 2: This is what we mean as this next coming of a fleets as the ultimate influences because.
Speaker 1: They always have been and they are right now.
Speaker 2: Free you can pluck that image we've got there. I mean Tiger Wood signed his one of his first endorsement deals with Nike at nineteen, a five year deal worth forty million dollars, and obviously that then grew and grew.
Speaker 4: I grew the fact that that was in nineteen ninety six and we were just hero in Caitlyn Clark's deals.
Speaker 3: It's worth a lot less.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, probably gives context to where we're at. But he actually in January this year it was the end of his twenty seven year deal with Nike that was worth five hundred million US.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's good think golfers don't make too much money with price money, so OBSEVD five hundred Let's.
Speaker 4: Just break that down, Like I know that we just talked about one and a half billion dollars. Think about how big a brand Taylor Swift is. Oh and she only just cracked a billion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, only only just this year. Yeah.
Speaker 2: With the eras to her is when she became a billionaire officially. Yeah, and she's the only I think she's the only musician who's cracked the billionaire status from America.
Speaker 1: Was it well from.
Speaker 2: Being her own songwriting, yeah, through her own jay Z as a producer, producer and stuff like that, whereas it's all on the you know, it's all on her pen.
Speaker 3: Shall we say, well, the one that really the number that I messaged you and said, what the hell was Steph Curry? And under Arma Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And the fact that over his career he's going to make a billion dollars from under Ama.
Speaker 2: Crazy crazy, But I've only and for me, Underrama is a brand that I probably would have only entered my consciousness in the last I don't know, five years, Yes, Like honestly, I'd never heard of it before then. So it takes like a Steph Curry, It takes athletes like this for it to filter through into pop culture and then it's like, oh, hang on, I wanted that.
Speaker 4: And I think the thing to realize with all of these is that American clubs and American sporting franchises are privately owned. Yes, so the club takes care of itself and you take care of yourself. There are no limitations on what you can do. NRL and AFL completely different operation. Yes, so those clubs, as part of your salary, you are aligned with what their brands are and it is very strongly stipulated what you can and cannot do.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's also comes into the international versus national market. If we were walking down the street in Atlanta, Georgia, I doubt that they know Reese Welsh.
Speaker 1: They should, but they probably don't.
Speaker 3: If you're walking down the street.
Speaker 4: Of Collins Street in Melbourne, you're probably also pushing it. So we don't really need to go to Georgia see a Lebron Jersey, Sherry Red Shiger Woods kit.
Speaker 3: So essentially what we wanted to establish.
Speaker 4: With all of this is big business athletes and endorsing brands. And if you've ever wondered, we'll hang on like how much of this actually has cut through? Like if my favorite athlete says they like or dislike a beverage, how much does it move the needle on a global scale.
Speaker 3: Well, arguably the.
Speaker 4: Most famous athlete in the world, Cristiano Ronaldo, back at the twenty twenty Euros, sat down for a press conference and noticed that there was a bottle of Coca Cola sitting in front of him with all the cameras, and he went not today, moved the Coca Cola off the desk and pulled out some water and said it was something as simple as you should drink water.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, drink water kids.
Speaker 3: So clearly was going this isn't what fuels me. The water is.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, there was globally a drop of one point six percent in shares for Coca Cola. And you're like, well one point six that's five point two billion dollars.
Speaker 1: That sounds more. You know if you put it a those term.
Speaker 4: Point two billion dollar dive us in the immediate aftermath, that's the power.
Speaker 2: That is the power of it, right, And those athletes that we've just mentioned very quickly here, they would never have had to make an apology for that.
Speaker 1: You know, they're like, great, the plan is working. Where is he now?
Speaker 2: I understand the commentary around it, right, because Australians we we we've got that tall poppy syndrome.
Speaker 1: We hate those tall poppies. Right.
Speaker 4: Oh, don't you dare tell me how good you are? Yeah, I'll tell you how good you are. And you are to deny it?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, then no, don't accept me.
Speaker 3: You Actually he's better.
Speaker 1: Yes, you act like a woman when we say nice top and the guy got it on sale.
Speaker 3: Yeah no it's not too nice. I need to iron it. Yours is nicer. It's nice.
Speaker 1: Yours is nice.
Speaker 2: This whole thing, I've had it fresh, I've had it for twenty seven years.
Speaker 1: That's how I want you to act.
Speaker 2: So I'm even fighting against my own default here, right, because it's how we've been raised.
Speaker 4: And also when you think about athletes and American athletes, Lebron came out and said, like, I think I'm the greatest of all time.
Speaker 3: I should be the greatest of all time.
Speaker 4: If any and we're talking like against Shordan yeh, because he's basically gone.
Speaker 3: Well, if you look at the stats and how long I've played, I am better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, imagine imagine came out and said that.
Speaker 4: Imagine how quickly we'd get our sickle to cut down that top poppy in Australia.
Speaker 3: If any athlete came out and.
Speaker 4: Goes, well, I am obviously the greatest of all time, we just wouldn't cop it.
Speaker 3: Part of me loves that humble Australian champion that another part of me goes, why can't people make hay when the sun shines? That's it.
Speaker 1: I think it's naive.
Speaker 2: I think it's a naive notion now, to be honest, And so while I don't think dismiss it completely. You can still hold on to it a little bit, like keep the sickle just In Holsted. Maybe keep the sickle Holsted and just maybe think about the person the brand.
Speaker 1: As the person.
Speaker 4: The one thing I will say, and what they're trying to set up is if you look at the AFL over the last ten years, I would argue the biggest brands post their retirement A Buddy Franklin yep and Dustin Martin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I remember Dusty with his bonds. Ad What access did you get to the two of those while they were playing?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah nothing. They never did media.
Speaker 3: They did nada.
Speaker 4: They weren't selling me yopro, they weren't part of Red Bull, they had no alignments. Yeah, so much so that everyone's like desperate to know anything about them.
Speaker 3: Whereas Christian Petruc is gone the other way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot of video, there's a lot of content and he's gone for that build. But as Australians we like the quiet, humble one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that just.
Speaker 4: Achieves, especially as members achieved for the club and will buy whatever you tell us to buy.
Speaker 3: Later on.
Speaker 2: I think there's a very real reality and it's a close reality in which Christian Petrarca's endorsement deals could far outstrip his payments his AFL salary, which we're probably not too far from that day.
Speaker 4: He does have five years remaining on his contract and that income will peak at one point seven million dollars yep, and it's not going to fall below one point two. So he ain't needed I know, in this economy and cost of living, I just see he's not to bolster that in order to afford a comfortable lifestyle.
Speaker 2: I have a question without notice for you, great before we get to our fun fact, which athlete in the world that we live in right now? Of the athlete as an influencer, a super influencer, really, which athlete would you want repping your personal brand?
Speaker 3: Jess Fox, I don't even think. I don't even have to think.
Speaker 4: Strow You didn't, No, that was just their bam and everything about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, drop the curly girl routine. I'm interested.
Speaker 4: So I'm with you. You who's your ash party?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, squimmy.
Speaker 2: Oh, But it's just I just love everything. Obviously I'm not alone in this. I love everything that she stands for. And I'll let her talk about the team. Right the team, the team, the team, it's it takes a village to build an athlete. So I love all of that because her brand, I think, I would argue, is slightly different and I think that she has values that I hold very high as well. So I would love that Ash come on board to good sports.
Speaker 4: So when we frame this whole thing, we've established that a lot of athletes and a lot of famous people, for a very long period of time, have made the majority of their money not from their craft, but from the way they leverage their brand to support other brands and get paid very handsomely to do. So that ain't new. What is potentially new for the AFL and something and NRL and something that Australian codes are going to have to get their head around is that Australian athletes are watching these and getting offers from companies like Red Bull to build their brands and to think about life beyond football and finding that very appealing and that's something that's going to run simultaneously with their athletic career. Do we the fans get the right to go I don't like that and is that called for?
Speaker 1: I think we have the right to say it, but it doesn't have any impact.
Speaker 3: So this is just going to become the way forward.
Speaker 2: I think so. Yeah, I honestly do. I honestly do, because if you want your club to survive, if you want a club to support, they have to look at these options a lot of the times. And then if they choose a path that you don't like, that's on you as a fan then to be like, Okay, well maybe I'm not I need to take a step back, maybe I'll follow someone else.
Speaker 4: And the athlete just needs to wear the criticism that will come if their form in any way waivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the Those are the high stakes games. I think that in this modern sporting landscape, that's what you're playing for.
Speaker 4: Do you expect the needle to shift in terms of Australian audiences and how critical we are of this?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I would love it too.
Speaker 1: I would love it too.
Speaker 2: But I think that it's always going to be the louder voice of why the hell do you want that stay in your lane?
Speaker 4: And is that potentially louder for athletes like Christian where we can publicly look at the fact that he's going to be on one point seven as opposed to Arion Tiitmas, who was on everything leading in to the Paris Games, Like we just found out that she slept on a temper mattress. Yes, she's been endorsing brands till the cows come home and we go get it, girl, because you've got one shot in four years to actually make a living out of this.
Speaker 3: Is there a difference between that.
Speaker 2: I think for people and their concept and their understanding of it, there is, but they shouldn't be necessarily. People are able to separate it, and I'm not sure if that's a gendered thing right now. I don't know if it's because of the differences in their sports and how their pay structures work, but people can separate it.
Speaker 4: I would also argue it's generational, yeah, totally, Oh totally, and a lack of understanding between the fact that social media is the new Nike footwear and that this is a platform that you can professionally leverage and it's not trivial and.
Speaker 1: It lives rent free in our minds.
Speaker 3: Or rent free in our hands.
Speaker 4: At the first thing we do when we wake up and the last thing we do when we go to sleep, we wwis track all the best and we're going to watch this space to find out. Actually, I think we're all waiting with beta breath to find out what he's gonna say, what's gonna happen? And is he going to be a demon next year? You're gonna make it? What do you think?
Speaker 2: I don't think so, really yeah, I don't think he will be. For him to stay there, there needs to be a whole lot of bridges built with the actual playing stuff and the coaching cohort and it, and for Track himself like that's that's both ways.
Speaker 1: So everyone's going to have to give.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if people, all of the players within this story, I don't know if they will.
Speaker 4: I think he'll still be there, given that Craig mccraye has been on the record being like we love Christian Petrucker. Have you seen our draft cand we don't have the royal flush it would take for that trade to go through. So that's Collingwood, who he's supported as a kid Track so that he's not he's not gone there.
Speaker 3: And then the other big club is Carlton.
Speaker 1: I can see him in Carlton in the trade with Harry mackay, but.
Speaker 4: Then Harry's management and the club have come out and been like, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, don't go wrong, Like nothing's been spoken about yet.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying as someone who doesn't really understand the AFL trade period because the NRL doesn't have a comparison. It's so fun, it's but this has given me great interest because I don't care about pick thirty six for the second round of the fourth round of the twelfth divided.
Speaker 1: All the time you do, but now I care. Yeah, watch this space, Jemmy, Time for a fun fact.
Speaker 3: I love a fun fact, and our.
Speaker 1: Fun fact is very demure, very mindful.
Speaker 4: Oh god, just when you thought you were safe from that, has that phrase just been everywhere?
Speaker 1: Oh everywhere?
Speaker 3: My inbox? Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: Flooded with subject line very demure, and I'm like, what, can't leave me alone?
Speaker 3: Don't TikTok?
Speaker 2: I would argue the only thing that may have flooded your inbox more than that is the term brat, and our fun fact involves both of them.
Speaker 4: The brad Greg Kamala Halla Harris has decided to make part of her brand as well.
Speaker 2: Did you know that the U You know that the US Open, you know, famously a tennis tournament, actually is a fashion catwalk. It's a runway show because Naomi yasaka my god, has she answered all of my hopes, wants and dreams with the outfit that she rocked out in this week?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It is in a collaboration with Nike, who she's been with for many, many years, and a fashion designer called yun Ahn. And if you have not seen this on your socials, you don't have socials, no, because it is the most fabulous outfit in the Brat Green Charlie XCX must be getting involved in here somewhere.
Speaker 4: For those of you playing at home that don't know what Bratt Green is, it's also tennis ball green. It is if you want something, it's it's fluorescent ch truce, which.
Speaker 1: Makes it sound less cool. I'm not gonna lie. I'm not gonna lie. People are like, oh my god, is that Bratt Green.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, it's kind of chatruce, but yeah, okay, here we go, Here we go. And basically why I love it so much is that it ties so nicely into our main discussion this week, Because have I been following everything that's going on in the tennis landscape in this tournament not necessarily Can I tell you every single detail of that woman's outfit?
Speaker 3: Yes, my bloody can.
Speaker 4: The reason yes I can, it's made so many headlines is it is ridiculous. Oh my goodness, it is ridiculous to think that someone would play tennis in there. There is an enormous lime green bow.
Speaker 1: She's turned into the met Gala.
Speaker 3: She's turned it into the met Gala.
Speaker 1: The costume change.
Speaker 3: There are bows on her nikes.
Speaker 1: Yes, what did you say about the shoes?
Speaker 4: I want them, but not to play tennis, to walk around it in general life.
Speaker 1: It's working. Her influence is at play.
Speaker 4: Oh and I'm playing Devil's advocate here and it might be showing my age I.
Speaker 3: Have aged since we last.
Speaker 4: Part of Me goes. This isn't a Mickey Mouse tournament. No, it's the US Open.
Speaker 3: Maybe focus on the sport.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 2: It is focusing on the sport, because do you know what I used to love about watching Serena Williams and Venus Williams. Part of it, genuinely and Maria Sharapover genuinely was to see them at court doing their job, but was also to see what they're wearing. Like, honestly, I would look forward to that. I wanted to see what collaboration they had come up with.
Speaker 4: But my argument would be, and I don't know if you feel this about work, because you and I have people that put together wardrobes for us, yes, stylas at work. If there was a button I could press that I wore a polo every day and I didn't have to think about it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Johnny, that's the man button. I think it is there.
Speaker 3: I think it is there.
Speaker 4: I believe that's the Carl Stefanovi for the entire year button. I would press that because it's one less thing that you have to think about and you can just focus on your job.
Speaker 3: And I love fashion more than the next person you do. I love it. Met Gala's my super Bowl. I own that.
Speaker 4: But I also think when you are there to perform, having to worry that there might be someone else in blue and that you'll get told off for that is not where my head's at.
Speaker 3: I just want to do my job.
Speaker 2: Do you think, though, because I would say that this outfit and the costume change and the whole theatrics of it actually helps. Naomia Saka because famously doesn't love press, doesn't love the attention.
Speaker 1: Doesn't like having to do all of that.
Speaker 2: This allows her to show her personality in a way that her words don't.
Speaker 3: Is this her nor lyles warm up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it could be. I really think it could be.
Speaker 2: And it's also part of her bringing that Japanese culture into her game as well and into her brand.
Speaker 4: And shall we say, building a personal brand, building a personal brand.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's brat, it's demure, it's somehow both of those things which seem that they are competing.
Speaker 1: But here we are.
Speaker 4: You've never sounded younger than me. But thank you for listening to do good sports.
Speaker 3: It is sports news sold differently with one of us that TikTok's.
Speaker 4: And another one who certainly does not. And I own that and that is fine, but please do.
Speaker 3: Follow us at two good sports podcasts.
Speaker 4: Also give us your feedback on this one, because we're way off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think about track? What do you think about where we're at with this whole situation?
Speaker 4: Now? Are we okay with players leveraging their brand to clearly try to build the life for themselves outside the game, or should they just play the sport.
Speaker 3: Until then?
Speaker 1: Be a good sport