Speaker 1: The Chris Jian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast each day this week. Then along with the Small Business Plug, we'll try and plug as many small businesses in two minutes, catching up with celebrities in captivity to see how they're getting on, how they're surviving. This morning, someone who met properly for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I was a guest on his outstanding podcast. I know we've got a lot more time at the moment indoors and a bit of burning through podcasts. Will Anderson, obviously you'll know in this country normally this time of you he's smashing it at the Melbourne Comedy Festival. But sadly luck a lot of comedians'm all over the world too normally flock here. That's obviously not on at the moment, but it does. A couple of podcasts. I was a recent guest on Philosophy, which is a brilliant one. There's some great guests on there, some really good chats as well. Then a footy one which I made the mistake of subscribing to thinking I would learn about the game. I learned the wrong things about the game, but it's very funny. Two guys one cup and I think about twenty others like Elton. He's a one man outon John and Bernie Torp and anyway, he's on the line right now, Win Andison.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Good morning, Christian O'Connell, and thank you for playing a little their journey before. I did do a lot of air guitar at the end of that boom.
Speaker 1: Didn't take you back to your triple m days with Eddie.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean, I don't think we actually played enough journey. And that's what I was going to say. I mean, you know, I think when I did Triple J I wanted to do quadruple J and just add an extra J for journey. There's just something specifically about that song that really does inspire air guitar. And I was up in my office, So I am up in my office and you've been to my office in my house and only one of the dogs, So good news, mate, they won't start un relieved during this interview.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've done many interview as well, but I've never done one where in the middle of an interview, the interviewer, the host, his dogs start enjoying each other. One of them who was I guess the boss of the enjoyment session was the top was looking at me eye to eye, and you just carried on interviewing me, which I'm mighty professionalism but also lack of at the same time.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, I like to think that this is, you know, the level that you know sometimes you know, when you're interviewing somebody like you you're a professional, you've seen everything. No, not that.
Speaker 1: No, I've never seen that. No, you never saw that on parking so neither.
Speaker 2: Well that's just because they couldn't train his dogs to do It's not me. Three months trained him to do that in that exact moment, and I said, girls, you've got to do a while looking Christian in the eye about an hour and a half into the podcast, just what he's tying to, really relax, come in prison style and just steer him directly in the eye, liking the guard and say, what are you going to do about this? Mate?
Speaker 1: Do you know this is what the world of TV chat shows needs right now? You know this is what Channel nine, Channel seven they need a new chat show. Okay, this is what you need is well interviewing people. His dogs perform in front of them like a revolving kind of stage in the round. Take that, Andrew, Well, how are you surviving? What are you actually doing to cope? How are you getting through it?
Speaker 2: You know, like a lot bunch of things, like everybody at the moment. The first one is that, you know, the simplest thing you can do is do nothing right, stay at home and save some lives. It's the easiest time in your life you'll ever get to be a life saver. So you know, by that great thing of just not going outside the door, You're like, I'm a bit of.
Speaker 1: A hero today.
Speaker 2: I don't think they will let me march on and Jack David, I'm paying your live today, and I think that's a good thing. And then I've been trying to you know, find positive ways, you know, to kind of you know, not just consume things, but to produce things. So you mentioned all the podcasts, and you know we've been doing those regularly, trying to get some entertainment out to people. But on the day the Melbourne Comedy Festival is going to start, I actually went through the program and tweeted out links and things to other people's work, you know, shows that I wanted to see. Try to find positive ways to fill the time rather than just constantly consuming. But I've also been doing a lot of housework around the house because we wanted to be moving house during this time. It turns out we're instead stuck in the house, but where we were meant to be house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean, I don't want to be rude anything, but when I came around the house, your other half was obviously away because it looked like you've gone feral for some reason. All your clothes were folded up on the dining room table, which I've never a unique way to sort laundry out. And then yeah, it looked like a house that needed some housework doing well, if you don't mind me saying.
Speaker 2: It was a house that was being deconstructed. This was like you went to a fancy restaurant.
Speaker 1: How you were in Melbourne a deconstructed house.
Speaker 2: Instructed house. This is what it was. You've moved to your city. You've got to understand, mate, occasionally when you go to Melbourne suburbs, I'm.
Speaker 1: Still so British and pumming uptight about how I like a home to be.
Speaker 2: You're quite I like my washing in the washing machine and then folded and put in the coveroared. Okay, mate, well that's the old stort. You're in Melbourne. Now this is the more. This is why take on what a house is?
Speaker 1: And so are you trying to learn any new skills because you get all these people right now that are overachieving and aren't going to learn a language or learn how to play the guitar? Are you doing any of that?
Speaker 2: Well, I've been doing a lot of practical things, which is not normally my forte. Normally this is your sort of situation where you get a man in I'm very much a you know, a hire a harbi, yeah, to a trade person sort of thing. So, but of course in this current environment that's not something that you can do. So I have been you know, I looked yesterday. I oiled some decking I would not use.
Speaker 1: I think most men listening have been doing that. But what aside from that, just to give that a rest.
Speaker 2: You've got to predict your deck, as the Wu Tang claim almost did. So I know I oiled the decks. It turns out not quite as easy as it looks. I thought, now, be just swap some oil on some.
Speaker 1: And also, but people like you and I that aren't actually we work for living, but we don't really work for liver. It's not actual proper physical toil. Whenever I've done anything like that, you realize how physical labor and people that do it must be ripped with their obliques whatever those side muscles are called. It's knackering. They should have decks in gyms that people that were as part of CrossFit workouts where oil the deck like wax on wax off. If you want a really good old body workout.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's actually a good way to make some money and get your house for it is just you put a sign up the front and convinced people trust indoors. So you grab that, grab that big box, take that down the stairs, and they glad that other thing. Take that back up. They said, now this is not part of it. Now the barbecue. Cleaning the barbecue is a real full body workout. And I discovered that because so I moved into this house two and a half years ago, and I regularly cleaned the barbecue after I use it. But I hadn't done you know, like a full it's quite a big you know, barbecue came with the house, and I've never done sort of a full top to bottom clean of the I.
Speaker 1: Thought the heat does that when you turn the burners on. Are they cleaners?
Speaker 2: That's what I saw it too, But it turns out we're learning a lot. Haven't been quite his hygie because we should have read. I mean, I don't know how you have time to do much else when you're just washing your hands every twenty minutes about twenty minutes ago and.
Speaker 1: OCD. When we come out of this, we're just going to all have OCD about washing our hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're good years these guys that we've cured the disease, but we've run out of water. We have used all the water washing our hands. So I cleaned his barbecue, and it turns out underneath it was a different color than I thought it was. There were parts of the parts of the barbecue that I assumed were meant to be black, but that was meant to be silver. And I have gone back like I've gone back previous owners of this house, because this barbecue is now in better shaped than when it was delivered to us. I felt like I was at one stage. I felt like I needed to get out one of those little archological sort of uidusters in case I found some ancient transcription written on my bid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's my archaeological renovation and dig now as time team more than just cleaning a barber. You found that you're in shrouded somehow in there this imprint of the face of our savior.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know what happened, mate, I just said this word. I found there three times in a row, and suddenly a lot of crazy stuff happening over the how.
Speaker 1: And well, what are you missing right now? And obviously you're a big Footy fan, but what are you missing? Is it like me that the simple, the small things really.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, for me, it is the community sense. And I hope that I remember, you know, and I know you remember this. We're both broadcasting after you know, September eleventh, you know, and there was after we came out of that period. There was such a joy in being back in society again, you know, doing things that suddenly had been taken away from people. You know, there was a real joy in that. And I hope that when this is over, there's going to be that same celebration. I know. Certainly, suddenly you things that you take for granted, I mean, my job stand up comedy. You realize straight away, not in the central service in any way. You never imagine that could be taken away so quickly. So you know, particularly at this time of the year. You know, April in Melbourne is normally the time that's time for clowns, boomgunk collect This is clown Christmas, you know, clown Mecha clowns travel from all over the world to our Clown Festival. And this would have been my twenty fifth year in a row before at the festival, and so it's it's going to see those people who come and see my shows every year, going to hang out with them, going to be in that community. The thing I've always loved about stand up comedy is that you're can have a thousand people in the room who all have different opedions on topics, and yet you can get them in the room and they can all laugh at that one moment and there's a great sense of community and that everybody putting aside there.
Speaker 1: It's like going to see a live music as well as a communal experience. That's why it still works live. It doesn't it get so big.
Speaker 2: Or seeing it. That's why I think that everythings like stand up you know that people are doing some stuff over the internet, but it is an experience that's meant to be experienced live, you know, in a room with a group of people. So on a personal level, I mis that, and yes, on a I think the footy is probably the big one for me. My team, the Western Bulldogs were well well ahead of the game because they were actually practicing social distancing in their first game against Collingwood did not go within two meters of any of the oppositions and any days. So I am now lodging for the entire season to be canceled and the draft to be allocated in the positions We are on the ladder now, so we'll take good. We'll look good for twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: All right, listen, Well, I got to go. It is always a joy catching up with you. Can I give you a call another week or two to see how you getting on? What else you've cleaned around the house?
Speaker 2: Mate? You can call me whenever you like, you know that.
Speaker 1: Well, if we want to find out more about the mega industry that is will Ink and your many podcasts and projects, where can I find out more?
Speaker 2: Mate? Yeah, go to toe Fop. This is the best place. This is a weird name, but t o f op dot com and it has links to my comedy podcast Topop. There's a new one called Tofop coming out, the footy one there and of course Velocity, and you're the most recent guest on that, so I'm sure that people who love your show would love that interview.
Speaker 1: All right, well, thank you very much for chance to time. Mate stay say stands bye.
Speaker 2: YouTube The Question O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast