Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Mattrolope, a RATA and editor for oz open dot com.
Speaker 2: And I'm Victoria Rinikov, a producer at Tennis Australia and the Australian Open. Matt, why are we sitting down with Kim Birel today?
Speaker 1: Well, Vick, we were lucky enough to sit down with Kim at the Billy Jinkin Cup Tie recently when she was in Melbourne at John Kyne Arena. But the chat wasn't just about that. This was a chance to go deep into her career journey. She's been playing at the top level or at tour level now for almost a decade, but there's been some speed bumps along the way, including some time on the sidelines with an elbow surgery. But it was a chance to not only talk about how she overcame those setbacks and what she did with her time off, but how well she's rebounded. She's entrenched herself in the top one hundred, being Ossie number one, and had some great success at tour level and a really really good start to twenty twenty six. So yeah, it was really fascinating to hear her talk about that journey and its ups and downs and how it's trending up and.
Speaker 2: Since entering the top one hundred as well. It's been interesting to hear her perspective on playing all these tournaments for the first time, getting a bit of a different experience on tour than she previously has had, so that was really fascinating.
Speaker 1: We hope you guys enjoy it. Kim Yrel, thank you very much for joining us today on the Sitdown podcast.
Speaker 3: How are you? I'm great, Thanks, Matt, very excited to be here. It's well, it's a slightly different venue locker room undisclosed understood.
Speaker 1: Well, I've certainly never done a podcast interview in a locker room before. Normally we're in the studio, but maybe for our listeners and viewers, you can give us a bit of context as to where we are and what you're doing in Melbourne.
Speaker 4: Well, we are here in the JCA or one of the JCA locker rooms John Cane Arena where we're playing Billy Jean King.
Speaker 3: Cup against Great Britain on Friday and Saturday. Very excited to be in melbs playing at home tied so.
Speaker 1: Good is it weird? Have you ever been to Melbourne in autumn.
Speaker 4: No, I haven't. I've been here in the winter once. I had my surgery done in the winter time, and I must say all.
Speaker 1: Got experience as a Queensland I.
Speaker 4: Got some great Yeah, I got your roots from a restaurant that was like just to run the corner because I didn't want to leave the warmth. But it's really cool to be here at a different time of year and it's not as cold as well it was expecting, and just being in Australia to play any time of the year is just the best.
Speaker 3: So grateful.
Speaker 1: But your season as a whole, like coming into this tie, has been really great. You've already made two semi finals and a third WT. You did a one twenty five k semi as well in Austin. You've come from outside the top one hundred and got back in the top seventy. You've won sixteen matches already, Like you must be pretty happy with how twenty six has started.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Thanks, it's really cool to hear it kind of like that because as tennis players, you're just moving.
Speaker 3: From one to the next.
Speaker 4: You sort of don't even get really time to process. So yeah, I guess sixteen matches is a pretty good way to start the year. And overall, I'm just really proud of how I sort of picked myself back up last year and then have kind of kept the end of last year, kept that momentum going and had a really good week in Adelaide, gained so much confidence and then sort of maybe had a little bit of a dip here. I sort of wanted to perform better at Ao than I did, but was again able to just sort of pick myself back up.
Speaker 3: And get on with it.
Speaker 4: And I really thrive on hard court and I liked the US Swing.
Speaker 3: So I have that to look forward to. And I also went to the Middle East for I played. Had played Doha before, but had never played Dubai.
Speaker 4: So that was a new experience and I really liked the conditions there. And so yeah, you know when you just seems to be once you sort of get on a roll, it's yeah, what I mean, Tylie is another one who's had an even better role than I have, And yeah, you just gain confidence. And I think it's just like the competing day in day out, you know, and those time moments seem to maybe go your way a little bit more.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I'm super proud at the start of my year.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm glad we.
Speaker 1: Got to mention those some statsy, so you could you could reflect on what you've done. You mentioned that it was really good or important to you to pick yourself up at the end of last year after what were you picking yourself up?
Speaker 4: Yes, well, I kind of just was in a bit of a lull, I guess I can call it. Hadn't won too many matches since had sort of Clay, and then I just felt a little bit down because I actually went into Clay. Probably when I spoke to you, I was like really pumped and putting on a not a brave face.
Speaker 3: I was actually genuine you.
Speaker 1: Were really hard to play your seniting prayers, I remember, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And then I actually had some good matches and had sort of just lost a couple of really tight ones where I felt like I played well and put myself in a position to win and didn't quite get there.
Speaker 3: And when that happens consecutive weeks in a row can kind of weigh on you.
Speaker 4: And then by the time I got to French, I was just not feeling too confident in a few things areas of my game. And then I think that probably did affect the way my grass season went, although it was okay, but I think I can do better on grass than my season last year. And then yeah, sort of didn't come home. But by the end of a long trip, I was just a little bit fried by the end of the year and just not invest headspace with things.
Speaker 3: By the time I got to Asia.
Speaker 4: And didn't defend my points in Osaka, dropped out of the top one hundred, was kind of struggling with my serve what else, And yeah, I guess was a bit of a turning point when I decided to go to Chennai to play.
Speaker 3: What was it choosing between.
Speaker 4: Chennai or Hong Kong that week, and Hong Kong's one of my favorite tournaments.
Speaker 3: But I knew that I was going to be seated in Chennai and so exciting to there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they may have had it like two years now, okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so just the conditions in India can be tough, like you have to watch what you eat, and it's really hot, and we got there and it was raining two days straight. Didn't get to practice my first match. I supposed to start matches in the afternoon, at four pm, and then they ended up starting matches at eleven. I was first on and it was so hot and I didn't feel one hundred percent in the stomach and lost the first set six love or six to one. Yeah, looking at my brother like he's sitting on the side, just drenched in sweat as well, and not even movingspace. Yeah, I was no. I was like, why did why did you come here? We should have just gone home? And then I think, yeah, I might have gone too the bathroom just like washed my face and then come back and maybe she had a little bit of a lull. I gained like a little bit of confident and ended up getting through that match and then just started to play better, and I felt like I was a little bit more clear after spending a couple of weeks with Pratty and what I needed to work on. And sometimes it just takes someone you know, saying things really and are not that bad, And that's sort of what she had been drilling into me the week before and Tokyo and Osaka and then yeah, I ended up beating Donna Vekitch that week and I was down five love in the third set around of Garland, like just I know people will get and she's such a lovely person.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that was a bit of.
Speaker 4: A dramatic end to that match because I came back in one she wasn't feeling one hundred percent. So yeah, honestly that week was just a humongous turning point for me. And then yeah, I made the final, got back in the top hundred, and knew I was going to make Mainjraw of Ao.
Speaker 3: It was so many things, it was just all at once and then BJ after that.
Speaker 4: I honestly I went into that week they hadn't announced the team yet and I didn't think I was going to be picked with how many year had gone from the middle of the year to to that point.
Speaker 3: It's just when I've played two singles matches there in Hobart.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it was honest I look at little killed thinking about that because I don't know what would have happened if I didn't go to India and had those exces.
Speaker 3: Also, like working with.
Speaker 4: My psychologist a lot and going back to like why I played tennis to compete and I just love the battle and I really had to dictate that week and sort of just reminded me of my love of the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I didn't know that story. You might not have gone there. That's it's unly Yeah, and the fact it returned you to the top hundred. So you first got into the top hundred almost year earlier with that great breakout run you had in Brisbane, and pretty much apart from a few weeks here and there, you've pretty much been top hundred ever since. And it was just and so that's beyond the year. That's getting towards eighteen months now that you're kind of like a rank far week in, week out, top one hundred player. What have you discovered or what can you tell us is required of the level to be up there as a tour player direct entry into slams.
Speaker 3: What's the difference?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just outside it, Well, honestly, I didn't think there was going to be that much of a difference. If anything, I thought it was going to be easier, because when you're just on the cast, you're still playing somewh my tfs, you're really grinding and qualifying every week, and you're checking the rankings constantly, and if you're just seeing that top one hundred is like the golden egg, like to get there and then I can relax.
Speaker 3: But it was almost like when I.
Speaker 4: Got there, I just the expectations of that I had for myself. The goal post just moved, like once I got to top hundred, maybe I could be top fifty, and I.
Speaker 3: Really started to believe it.
Speaker 4: And when that didn't happen, then I started to doubt myself a little bit. And just the overall how tough every single match is, Like when you're not seeing in one thousands, you're in main draw and you can maybe get through one match, and then you're playing a seeded player. It was just the I think, just the depth of everyone in the top one hundred and what's required, like physically but also mentally. It's week in and week out. It's almost more than you know I had experienced that, Yeah, and then you just when you get there, you just want to stay there because you're at.
Speaker 3: Much nicer tournaments. And the schedule.
Speaker 4: One thing I found that I really liked was I knew my schedule more in advance, and it took away that kind of am I going here or here based on the cart I kind of knew in advance, So that was a new experience, which was a good one. I mean there's so many positives to it, obviously, Yeah, but that was one thing, just the challenging aspect of it takes more out of you because the level's higher, so you expect.
Speaker 3: More of yourself.
Speaker 1: But you haven't managed to pretty much stay there. And you did nearly get to the top fifty. I think he got to sixty one. Yeah, so I mean that's amazing, and you got back to sixty nine this year as well, or seventy in the world. And I know there's a bit of fluctuation, but yeah, you're kind of like, yeah, does it feel are.
Speaker 3: You more comfortable?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that initial shock of it, Yeah, a year on, does it feel more comfortable? Like is that your level?
Speaker 3: Yeah? We are, I think so. And yeah, I think there's like I don't know the exact stat but I.
Speaker 4: Think it's it's very common for players to get into the top hundred and then to drop out after about a year and then maybe it takes a little bit more time to get back in and then you sort of settle. So I am really proud that I was able to hang on and stay inside the cut for the Slams, Like that's just a huge goal, And no, it is. I think I don't often give myself praise, but for that I am super proud, because it's not easy.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think now just when I.
Speaker 4: Play someone ranked inside the top hundred, I have so much more belief that I can win and compete. And it just comes from those runs on the board and really want to prove it to yourself. And then yeah, you just definitely feel much more comfortable and knowing more of the girls, practicing with more of them week in and week out, knowing how each tournament's run. This will be my second time, you know, going to Madrid, and it was my first time last year playing all the one thousands and getting into mainjoy without having to qualify. So yeah, it was always like I've been on tour a long time and I'm, you know, a little bit older than some girls already, but it still felt like I was my first year on tour.
Speaker 1: You're a bit wide eye, Oh my god, and I met the four Italico or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, things you've seen on TV, Yeah you totally Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Your breakout run in Brisbane that I referred to before was I guess perhaps even outperformed by what you did in Adelaide at the start of this year, you made it through to the Semis, also a five hundred event leading up to the AO. But obviously the Brisbane one was at home, you know what was And you reflect on both of those runs, which were both so amazing. Yeah, is there one that's more significant than the other.
Speaker 3: Or both incredible?
Speaker 4: Probably Brisbane sticks out to me a little bit more, just because I had reached literally.
Speaker 3: One hundred before that.
Speaker 4: I got to one hundred and people were messaging me saying, congratulations, you got to the top one hundred, top hundred for the first time.
Speaker 3: I was like, and I didn't even play that week.
Speaker 4: It was just that someone dropped out and then I went to But it didn't feel like as you know, big as what I think Brisbane when I want a match, I think it was against Emma when I won that match that it sort.
Speaker 3: Of put me in Yeah, and you're just having my friends and as in my family. Yeah, I was first and foremost and playing at home, and yeah, that was really special.
Speaker 4: But Adelaide was great too, and a bit unexpected.
Speaker 3: Obviously I got a walkover in the second.
Speaker 4: Round, so that did a little bit of luck was on my side there, but I think I was playing at a higher level than what I was in Brisbane the year. Yeah. Yeah, that's like my main goal is just to keep improving and I think if I can continue like on this trajectory of improvement, then hopefully I'll be in those situations again for sure.
Speaker 1: One thing that's interesting about your career too, and this is hard for Australians because you know, we travel a lot, as you were saying away for a long time, and when you have that support and family can sleep in your own bed, it can often be easy to succeed at home. But you've had some of your best tournament results overseas, so like Osaka final, Chennai, what you did in Austin Is that important to you to be able to go away to conditions you're not as used to doing it for the first time and still winning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. And I think for a little while it wasn't like that for me. It took a little bit of time where my best results were in Australia. The itfs that I want, we're here at home and so yeah, to have that really good result in Osaka definitely gave me some extra confidence. And yeah, just being on tour like more now, and I mean it's just as an Aussie playing at home, it's just the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, We're away the whole year.
Speaker 4: And just looking into the crowd and seeing familiar faces.
Speaker 3: And for me, I'm very much a home.
Speaker 4: Body and I love my friends and my family so much. So yeah, I think that is why I've played really well at home. And then also at the start of the year, we're coming off of a training block where you actually get to practice.
Speaker 3: Things that we need to work on.
Speaker 4: And throughout the year, it's really tough to find those moments in time where I can sacrifice a few things to improve in other areas.
Speaker 3: It's just you're constantly playing tournaments, so I mean, we do our best.
Speaker 4: But I think that maybe why I've had my best results coming into January, where I just feel really good about, you know, areas that I've been able to improve and are feeling really fit it.
Speaker 3: And show because you're definitely fresh them as well.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Yeah, yeah, for sure, looking back at your career, you've made nine to A level quarter finals now, which is a lot. That might that might be the most of anyone in the Billy Drinking Cup team. Not sure, but I think it's a lot, and it dates back to twenty twenty three. So I wondered, was there a moment, a moment, or a result or a win that kind of convinced you that you were potentially, like I am good enough to crack that top hundred even before you got there, like the one that was the flip to.
Speaker 3: Switch for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I've kind of seen my career in two parts, like before my elbow surgery and after and before I had had some good results, you know, had a couple top twenty or at least one top ten wine.
Speaker 3: And I mean you started to get a taste of that them.
Speaker 4: And then it was put on pause and of course COVID so kind of had to start again, like to prove it to myself. And so I would say I really important match for me was playing Elise Mertens in Osaka, because I thought that was really high level match and she's a great player, and I gritted through, like there were all of the sets were really tired, and she hurt herself just right at the end in the third set. But yeah, like the first two sets were some of the best tennis I think I've played. And also working with Pratty, now I just feel so much more clear on my game, and knowing like some of her caliber just believes in me.
Speaker 3: I think has been a big help.
Speaker 1: You alluded to, Yes, your career in two parts, you have overcome a lot of injuries to get to this point. Is there a silver lining in that at all?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 1: Because you had a lot of time on the sidelines, So yeah, what did you do at that time? What did you learn about yourself?
Speaker 4: You know, because I got to be Yeah, I got to be basically a normal sort of early twenties. I was gonna say teenager, but I think it was a teenager at the start. But I mean a lot of that time was focused on getting better and my recovery, and I was very diligent with my rehab. But at the same time, I got to be home and I got to, you know, have some deeper connections with my friends that I didn't really have at school. And that was, you know, at the same time as it sucked, because I all I wanted. I mean, if anyone said you take this away and you can be back on to her, I would have taken it. But at the same time, looking back now, I know that was an important time for me as well. Because I think growing up I had a lot of niggles.
Speaker 3: It wasn't just my obra.
Speaker 4: I had like just I kind of always had something going on with my body, but actually gave me the time. I couldn't play, I couldn't play tennis, but I could train in the gym, and so I think I really developed into like a young woman by the time that I came back on to her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I also met my now fielance during that time. Sorry.
Speaker 4: If I wasn't injured, we probably never would have met, would have been able to build the foundation of the relationship that allowed me to then be like, see, I'm going for six months and so Yeah, at the same time as it sucked and it was hard, but it was also kind of a nice time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did you meet? Like you're saying, you would probably not have meant.
Speaker 4: No, because one of our mutual friends has this big Halloween party every year, and I always wanted to go, but I could never because I was always away.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that's where we met. We met at that Halloween party. Yeah, that's really right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And he was supposed to be going to a different party and it got shut down, so then he ended up but this one's it was kind of was like a sliding doors moment for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also wondered, did that, particularly the elbow that kept you out, did it change your approach to like the small or your your body and being managed yourself as well, Because now you're looking back the last four years, you've almost averaged seventeen matches a year, which is way more Tennessee you were playing pre that, and that's like year after year after year of playing a decent schedule. So like your body's obviously handling it.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I think that my body is way more resilient than I could have ever imagined as a kid.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 4: I've surprised quite a few people, to be honest, And yeah, that feels really really good, especially my elbow. I was a moment in time where I didn't think that I was gonna be able to serve again, and I still struggle with it a little bit, but I's just exceeded my wildest dreams really, And you know, when I even started back playing in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Two, I was sort of like, let's just see what happens. I might just play a few more.
Speaker 4: Tournaments and so yeah, to now, look back on the last few years and how many matches I've been able to back up day in and day out.
Speaker 3: It's really incredible, And yeah, it gave me.
Speaker 4: A lot of perspective when I came back and just enjoying myself so much more on tour and being grateful. Of course, there's moments now it was a little while ago now where I know find certain aspects of the tour tough.
Speaker 3: But it is very good to remind myself of.
Speaker 4: That time where I didn't think I was ever going to play again, especially because tennis is such a big part of not just like my life professionally, but my family's life. Because yeah, my mom and dad, if anyone didn't know, they have a club on the Gold Coast that I basically lived at as a kid.
Speaker 3: And since I was eight years old, I think they've had it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's a big part of Like, even when I was injured, I was still going through a lot, and so tennis is just all around me all the time. So yes, I'm really grateful that was able to come back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are to thank you.
Speaker 1: How do you You said there were some elements of being on the road for a long time that are tough, and you mentioned that about your schedule, Like last year you were on the road for six months. That's quite the common experience for assies because we have so far to go. How do you make it work? How do you make life on tour bearable?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What a tricks if you land.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I make it work well, but I try my best. Well, I'm really lucky that my family has been able to come to me quite a few times, especially last year when I was in the Main Joor and I knew my schedule further in advance. My mum and dad came over and they had a great time, you know, on their own, but yeah, yeah, they were able to come to my matches and come to majory of Wimbledon, which is a really really special because my dad and I would talk.
Speaker 3: About that all the time growing up. So yeah, even the first day UH on site at.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't be this year. He was tearing up and so that was just like really special. And they even weren't planning to come to the US Open, and there was a sale and flights and they were like they're coming, So yeah, I guess home has to come to me. And then Matt my partner is able to travel a little bit with work, and now my brother's traveling with me full time this year, so that's a change in sort of my team. But yeah, I'm really lucky to have such a good relationship with him. We're really close, and it just helped to have family around for me, sure, and they just know me so much better than anyone else. And you know, sometimes were communicating without even speaking. It's just like cool that you just you look and look at each other and you just know what each other's thinking, and especially on court, that's a really amazing thing to have with somebody. And so yeah, I mean this year, we'll see how it goes, because usually he travels with me for a few weeks and then you know, was going and playing his own tournaments.
Speaker 3: So it's going to be different to be with each other all the time. But we won't be sharing.
Speaker 4: A room as often as we were, and we have plans in place if we get on each other's nerves.
Speaker 1: But then you have that, it sounds like you've got the great network, which is really important.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 1: At what point, when you were spending heaps of time at the family club in the Gold Coast, did you realize a professional career might have been like something you could actually do, Like when did you think you were good enough to go pro?
Speaker 4: I might sound crazy, but it was never a question for me, Like I just kind of grew up knowing that that's what I was gonna do, because I just was at the courts all the time.
Speaker 3: And even my dad would say where are you going, and I would say Wimbledon, Like it was just kind.
Speaker 4: Of yeah, It's just always been my path, I feel, even playing fixtures and tournaments every weekend, like I just played matches.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be on court all the time.
Speaker 4: Like we would get up early before school because my mom was a school teacher. Was a school teacher, so that was still very important to them that I finished school. But yeah, I would get up early with him, and it never felt difficult. I'm sure there were mornings when he never dragged me out of bed, but it was tougher to get out of bed. But it was just always really fun for me, which I think is like really cool that I had parents that were involved in tennis, especially my dad as a coach, but he was still able to be dad outside of court, and that I probably just allowed it to be more fun when we were at the club going on.
Speaker 3: A road trip to tournaments.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I am super grateful to still have like a really great relationship with my parents because I know it can be tricky.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, but that's really lovely to hear. And it sounds like as well, you were like a real fan of tennis, like you and your dad watching Wimbledon. Yeah, I'm like, who were the players that you loved watching? Who did you learn from? Who are your idols?
Speaker 3: That kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess we did watch like quite a few old clips of like Monicselli's was someone that my dad really.
Speaker 3: Liked me watching.
Speaker 4: I think it's also like her demeanor in between points. That was something that my parents really drilled into me, is you know, when you go on court, you're representing you, but also like our family.
Speaker 3: And our club and now Australia. So yeah, that was one thing about her.
Speaker 4: And then I really loved watching Kim cleist Is not just because of the name, but yeah, just like the way she played and being Aussie Kim, and then obviously Sam because she grew up on the Gold Coast and there was a few years where she would do some training on the Gold Coast before her summer, and she would come with Dave and I would watch her practice and she would get me out on court and hit some serves at me and have little rallies. So yeah, little like moments like that. Now, looking back, I'm like, wow, that is really cool.
Speaker 1: That's really cool.
Speaker 4: I'm actually here, you know now playing under Sam because yeah, even my club, the mom and Dad's club, the court too, is named after her, and the council did like a ceremony and I got to go out with some flowers.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's yeah, very cool.
Speaker 1: That's really you know, that's really cool. Probably like within like probably the last six months, you've played three top five players, So Pagoula in Cincinnati and Nissimova in Brisbane and then Rabaikner in the Middle East. I can't if it was Dohara, Dubai, Dobai. It was Dubai and that was like a couple of weeks after she'd won the So playing that kind of caliber of player, what did you learn from those matches and seeing what it takes to succeed at like the very top of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's a great question. They just they have really do have like.
Speaker 4: That sort of aura around them, and so I guess I've learned to respect them, of course, because what they've achieved is incredible and there's a reason.
Speaker 3: Why they're ranked where they are.
Speaker 4: But it's important to not beat yourself before stepping out onto the court because they are also human and there will be moments in.
Speaker 3: The match where you do have a chance.
Speaker 4: So the chances that you get are less often and they're quite small, but they can still you can take them. Yeah, and they have had moments where I have taken them against players in the top ten. It's just sort of having that belief like within yourself, deep within, like I can't do this, and so yeah, I think, especially after my last match against Rebakner in the first set, I think I gave her much too much credit and well, she played amazing as well, so it's kind of yeah, but I had moments in the second set where I'm not saying I would have won, but that I could it could have been like closer, so and then she went on to she ended up losing in the next round, So yeah, I think it's just that And I probably had like one match where I think I didn't believe, and so yeah, Pratty really called me up on that, pulled me up on that, and so since then, I've you know, tried to just make sure that that doesn't happen and I just believe no matter what when or lose, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also just that sorry my answer supposed so long, but if I get another pop.
Speaker 4: I seem to like play against someone of that calor and then do pretty well on the weeks after because you just see like what it takes and it's like you just feel even more motivated afterwards, like get me to the gym, like I need to practice and I need to find better hits and.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I guess I need to look at that more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's like a rebound effect in that it shows you that the yard stick and.
Speaker 3: It motivates you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it shows you the art stick and like, oh, it's not as far away as like it's far up, but it's not as far.
Speaker 3: As I thought.
Speaker 1: So it's pretty much ten years ago to the day that you made your tour level debut, like it was January, but it was in Hobartney Strain Open and then when you played Fake Cup for the first time, and now ten years on. You've come an enormous waiting since then. So what's in store next? Looking forward? What would you like to do or achieve or where do you think you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I well, firstly, I want to be healthy and enjoying my tennis and you know, hopefully not get to like the low points. I'm sure they're inevitable and they make you know, the good times better. But yeah, I think I can be in the top fifty.
Speaker 3: I really do believe that. So I am gonna.
Speaker 4: Shoot for that and even maybe say top thirty and why not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I guess just I would like to be more consistent with my results, you know, making deeper in tournaments more often. And I would really like to play and represent Australia in the Olympics, putting that out there.
Speaker 3: Love that, Yep, that's something that I really really love to do. And obviously the Slams. I think I've been guilty of putting too much pressure on myself at the Slams.
Speaker 4: So I think this year, hopefully second time being in directly step and is the main or I can enjoy myself a little bit more and hopefully just you know, play better at the slams.
Speaker 3: That's a big goal of mine too.
Speaker 1: And just to finish off, you've mentioned Wimbledon a couple of times. Is that your favorite? Is that your dream or is there another Slam or another dream you have that you love to see realized.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I can't go past Ao and yeah, just playing hero As and Aussie is so special.
Speaker 3: But Wimbledon is I mean every player kind of says it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has a special place in my heart, especially with just how much we talked about it as a kid's growing up.
Speaker 3: And I love grass. I think it does suit my game quite well.
Speaker 4: So ah yeah, I think hopefully this year it will be a great grass season, And I think I'm gonna get to the end of clay and be hopefully in like a more motivated, energized state ready for grass.
Speaker 3: And Wimby is pretty cool, so I want to play there many more years.
Speaker 1: Well, King, this has been an absolute pleasure. Thank you for sitting down with us today.
Speaker 3: Thank you really appreciate this is fun thing that.
Speaker 2: That was a great chat that you had with Kim. It was so good to hear that whole journey and everything she's gone through.
Speaker 3: It's been quite a journey.
Speaker 2: But there's been a.
Speaker 3: Lot that she should be really proud of.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And from here, I guess the clay court season is underway and we've got Roland Garross coming up, but soon is the grass beyond that, which she kind of had an eye towards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think she definitely loves to play on grass and it'll be exciting to see what she can do when she's there.
Speaker 1: It certainly will be. Thanks Vic for jumping in the co hosting chair with me again this week. We're missing Viv, but we're looking forward to seeing her when she returns from Roland Garross. And in the meantime, if you can subscribe to the sit Down, you'll never miss an episode when it lands in your feed. And if you can leave us a rating or a review, we'd love that too. See you next week.