Speaker 1: Are you good?
Speaker 2: Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 3: Bady, your work, our windows done?
Speaker 4: My world, reason the dust only good? Babs all down.
Speaker 2: I don't much, but yeah I know I'll big get and what I want.
Speaker 1: It don't matter where. This is the pickup.
Speaker 3: Hello a happy hump day, Happy day, Happy day afternoon.
Speaker 4: It's the pick up with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, happy post aper fools Day. Thank god that's over.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we're actually we are talking about that on today's show. We have some very strong feelings about April Fols. Someone in the team.
Speaker 4: Got fooled pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just over it. I've got some very neutral feelings about it. First though, what's his name?
Speaker 4: Not my kitchen rule, machine gun, call gun Kelly.
Speaker 1: But he's not called it anymore.
Speaker 3: He drops the gun because apparently it was bad.
Speaker 4: That's want to name.
Speaker 1: He's just machine previously known as machine gun Kelly, MGK.
Speaker 4: We could have just gone from his real name. Isn't his real name like Colon or something. I literally think he just goes machine anyway.
Speaker 2: Look, he's just recently had a baby with Megan Fox and they announced the baby. They're apparently amicably co parenting because they.
Speaker 4: Separated a while back.
Speaker 2: But they have this little baby that's come into the world, and they were celebrating the announcement and called the baby Celestial Seed.
Speaker 4: And there's been quite a bit of confusion because all of.
Speaker 2: Their fans thought that the baby's name was actually Celestial Seed, but that was just his very abstract description for a small child.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's also very believable because when you think about the names in Hollywood, that's probably one of the better ones.
Speaker 2: You would absolutely believe that someone who's named themselves machine Gun Kelly would name their child so, let's seed.
Speaker 3: Like that's that checks out a lot of like self inflation, isn't it like self love to say that your seed is so celestial and then name your kid after it, because that's what you're saying, is like, my sperm is so choice.
Speaker 4: That that's why that's so out of this world.
Speaker 3: Or if I'm misinterpreted what he means by seed, how would you respond?
Speaker 2: Like if I had a third kid and I name it the most whack out their name, like would we be okay with it? Will we just accept? Or would you call it on me? Like would you tell me that it's a terrible name.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say it was terrible, but you know, i'd call you on it.
Speaker 1: I'd like to be asking questions.
Speaker 2: If I have a third kid and I'm like, I'm going to name it friend of Panny Rocket, where you go that's not no, don't do that.
Speaker 3: No, I would say, talk me through the choice, and what state of mine were you in when you did it?
Speaker 1: Were you still high on gas?
Speaker 3: But if you want to call your kid friend of Penny, I'm gonna call him Franjo if you're happy.
Speaker 4: With that, Actually I'm gotta call it friend.
Speaker 2: You know what, I did call my daughter Lola and you just call her Lola Derby.
Speaker 4: So that was a terrible choice as well.
Speaker 1: Panelol Lolador. There's a lot of things like Lola Coaster and there's.
Speaker 2: Been a few now. Something that I wanted to talk about which is really super important to me, and I'm sure that it's something that a lot of Australians across the country will resonate with. But that is fostering or taking on an adoption rescue animal, right. So I have a ten year old bull Arab. He was my rescue pet that I got when he was one year old. He only has three legs, and hester he has.
Speaker 4: A name, a yeah Buster.
Speaker 2: He's the goodest of all the good boys out there. But he was so overlooked for so long and had been in the foster system for almost a year. The reason for that is because I think, firstly, he's a.
Speaker 4: Really big dog.
Speaker 2: He's considered a giant dog because he's forty something kilos even with just three legs.
Speaker 1: He's also quite lean though that surprises me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a big dog.
Speaker 2: But also I think people kind of thought because he had three legs, he was going to cost a lot of money and it was going to be, you know, a real expense with vet bills. Now, the reason why I want to talk about this is this month just passed so much was the Petstock Foundation's National Pet Adoption Month. I've worked with them for the last couple of years and it's a really incredible charity which focuses on getting more rescue animals into homes. And I read a statistic which was just absolutely alarming, and that is that there is one hundred thousand animals every single year that are put down because the rescue homes are just completely flooded, like they're so overwhelmed with animals in need, and most of those animals one hundred thousand never even make it to the point of being up for adoption. They just get euthanized on the spot or on the day that they come in because there's nowhere to put them. And I guess the reason why it's something that I really like, want to talk about and care about so much is because I think that there is so much stigma around it. But also there's a lot of stereotypes that are just incorrect.
Speaker 4: And that was what I learned when I took Buster on.
Speaker 2: So I thought he was going to come with all this trauma, especially being a dog they've been hit by car and having three legs. I thought he was going to, you know, with that trauma, might be vicious, might be reactive, hard to train, all that sort of stuff. And I mean, britt, you know him, He's just the biggest, sweetest, most gentle giant, has the patience of a saint.
Speaker 1: He's very horny as well.
Speaker 3: But besides that, he does I say that he does he has a humping thing, but.
Speaker 4: He doesn't have a humping thing. He's never hummed. He just always has his red Rocket is always out look.
Speaker 1: We canfigure he is the gentlest of boys.
Speaker 3: You almost can't provoke him, like he's just so calm.
Speaker 2: And chill, which yeah, and I mean, you know, you always hear stories about people bringing kids into families and how that goes with, you know, trying to introduce them to dogs.
Speaker 4: And we just have had such.
Speaker 2: A really beautiful experience with him, so much so that we adopted another animal last year, which you guys are all familiar about. We took on a rescue cat named Raspberry, which Raspberry and they hear me out. Cats are a whole different kettle of fish than dogs, Like they don't need as much attention. But my goodness that they got some attitude and she's great, but like, they just love on each other so much, and it's been so rewarding having them both in the house.
Speaker 3: It's actually so sad to think about how many animals don't even make it to the point.
Speaker 1: Of being able to be adopted. Yeah, like, which.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people don't realize, but if you do have the space for it, it's such a beautiful thing to do. We've had rescue dogs our family. We have one now at the moment, I say, at the moment, we've had it for like eight years and we genuinely have not ever had a problem with them. Like every rescue we've ever had has been incredible, And I know that is not always the case, but I think the stigma and stereotype probably needs to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess like one of the big things is, you know a lot of people have an aesthetic in mind of the type of animal that they want or the dog that they want. They wanted to look a certain way, but it might not be the right suit for your family. And one of the really amazing things about getting a rescue animal, as like you know your preference, is that so many of the charities and the foundations that work with these animals spend so much time with them, getting familiar with their characters, their traits, and they fit them with families that actually suit their needs, and so you end up with a pet that's way better suited to your family than if you were to buy one through a breeder. But yeah, I just wanted to share some stats because last month was a really incredible month, and being that it was the National Pet Adoption Month, nine hundred and eighty pets were put into homes this month, and eight hundred and fifty of those sorry, Britt, we're cats.
Speaker 1: That surprises me.
Speaker 2: That's almost one hundred percent of them being cats. I think it's because cat's are low maintenance. They do take care of themselves in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're also a nightmare. Personal, that's a personal opinion. Personal, I don't it's not for me.
Speaker 2: Cat people are as strong as Taylors with people. They'll come for you, Britt, but they can come for me. But I'm not adopting a cat.
Speaker 1: Personally.
Speaker 3: In my life, I will adopt multiple animals. I will adopt anax A Lottel probably before an adopt a cat. I don't dislike cats, they're just not for me. But that is an incredible statistic. Actually, you know what, I really loved. The RSPCA got me really good yesterday on April Fool's Day. I always reshare the RSPCA's post to my Instagram stories trying to encourage people to adopt.
Speaker 1: Because they always put up like this is what's up for adoption this week.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I nearly got done yesterday. I was like, oh that's different. They posted like what animals need adopted. They're like, let's not forget the more unique animals that need adoption.
Speaker 1: And it was like an alligator, baby alligator.
Speaker 4: And you're like, how long can you keep it at a home for in the bathroom?
Speaker 1: I I can get no.
Speaker 3: But I thought, oh, that's really nice that they're trying to find these things home. But I was thinking it was like the Robert Irwin's or the zoo's or the bigger property farms that would like adopt them.
Speaker 1: And I really got sucked in.
Speaker 3: Until I started swiping and it was like Zebra's baby elephants, and I was like, oh, you got me for April Fools.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you managed to fall for that.
Speaker 3: We only from the second swipe the alligator got me.
Speaker 2: We are talking April Fools next though, guys, because there's a few people on the team who got really stung by them.
Speaker 1: And I tried to adopt a baby elephant.
Speaker 4: I'm just over them. I think we should cancel April Fools. I don't think we need it anymore. It's a stupid day.
Speaker 1: I agree. I'm well and truly over it.
Speaker 3: Well, it was April fools Day yesterday and I don't know about you, but I want to know why the hell were still doing it. I don't know if I'm a grinch. I don't know if people are going to come for me. I have a great sense of humor, but yesterday just annoyed me so much.
Speaker 4: I have a great sense of humored.
Speaker 3: I do love a prank as such throughout the year. I love to prank people and do little jokes on.
Speaker 4: Them, but yours is not so much pranks.
Speaker 2: You like to jump out and scare people from behind you.
Speaker 4: That's your version of a prank.
Speaker 3: I dripped to my film so bad all the time, but it got to the end of the day yesterday and I was just really angry at the Internet because I'm like, we working media.
Speaker 1: Our job is to look at what is happening in the news. You're like to believe it or not. We report on things.
Speaker 3: I know it doesn't seem that way, but I was really angry at the end of the day because I was like, I can trust no one. I believe nothing I've read. There was no point of being on the internet today, It's all lies.
Speaker 4: I felt very similar.
Speaker 2: I think that April Fool's really increased this year, Like It really ramped up I think every influencer, every media personality, every brand, even my husband.
Speaker 4: So Matt, he has a podcast.
Speaker 2: Which is called Two Doting Dads, So this is very brand aligned for them. But they put out a post which was a picture of like a pregnancy test package, so like not the pregnancy test itself, but like you could buy a box set of pregnancy tests and box set, you.
Speaker 1: Know, like it's like a Netflix stupide, like a.
Speaker 2: Box of four pregnancy tests, you know. And it had a picture of them on the front holding each other, and then it had like, okay, stop no, and then the caption said if you've ever wanted to piss on here's your chance, or something equally is ridiculous. Anyway, if you want to buy a pregnancy test, don't buy it from my husband.
Speaker 1: I will you want to piss on him?
Speaker 4: Anyway. It was obviously a April.
Speaker 2: Fool's joke, But the thing is now with AI and being able to create things so convincingly, some of the April Fools jokes are like, really really convincing.
Speaker 4: There's a creator in the States. Her name's Becka.
Speaker 2: She was on The American Bachelor quite a few years ago. Funnily enough, she is the American bachelorette who went on the show and her parents thought that she went missing, so they declared her a missing person whilst.
Speaker 1: The show was that's also not an April Fools.
Speaker 4: That's what I have that that really happened.
Speaker 2: But she created this entire piece of content, which was our full brand piece of content, saying that she had genetically esthetically chosen the genes for her newborn baby, and she she did it as though it was a brand collab, and everyone obviously was outraged, and then she came out afterwards it was like, guys, April Fools, I'm just like, well.
Speaker 4: I'm I make people mad for no reason. What's that point.
Speaker 1: I did almost get done by the RSPCA.
Speaker 3: I did love their post, but I almost bought a baby elephant.
Speaker 1: But then I realized that wasn't actually up for adoption.
Speaker 2: How many do you think you fell for? Because I don't think I fell for any.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that I probably dismissed a lot of real things as being April Fools, because by the.
Speaker 1: End of the day I was like, I'm not believing or anything, But you know what I think April Fools is good for I think April.
Speaker 3: I think April Fools should become the day of like proposals, because.
Speaker 4: No, you can't do that to your partner.
Speaker 1: No, not as an April Fools. Seriously.
Speaker 3: So you propose and if they say yes, brilliant. If they say no, you're like April Fools. I didn't mean it, and that's like your way to get out of it. You don't propose as the April Fools, but the April Fools is your backup in case they say no.
Speaker 4: There's a few things that I don't think you should joke about. One of them pregnancies.
Speaker 2: I saw a really bad April Fools pregnancy go down online and the backlash was swift and hard. Producer Grayce, you fell for a few April Fools.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was trying to put together a content email yesterday to send to you guys, and every.
Speaker 2: Day, every hour you're like, dadally, I felt for three.
Speaker 4: You actually send them to us.
Speaker 3: And I wrote back and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, that's not real. You literally send one in the group chat and I was like, that's it. Even says April Fool's on it. I had to be like, please.
Speaker 3: Ignore everything I've just sent I'm actually a really good producer, I swear.
Speaker 1: Actually it was funny.
Speaker 3: You know when you accidentally send the wrong message to someone and people really quickly write other messages to push the chain up. That's when you're doing your okay, moving on, don't worry about your bar I just ignore it wrong group chat and we were.
Speaker 1: Like, you're just sending April fools content. It was very funny. But I don't know, let's wind it back a beer.
Speaker 2: Is this No, It's only gonna get worse every year, It's going to increase. I feel like this is the pickup show, unsubscribing from April Fool's content. But I feel like it is only every year going to get bigger and worse and like more out there, and I think we're gonna.
Speaker 4: Have to just keep your eyes peeled next April one.
Speaker 3: Now the show that literally the world is talking about Netflix show Adolescence. It is a show where a thirteen year old boy in the UK fatally injures another school student, and it has started this conversation around the world on are.
Speaker 1: We doing enough with our children in the schools?
Speaker 3: Are we doing enough with our children at home to prevent this from happening because in the UK crime from teenagers against other teenagers is absolutely rife, Like.
Speaker 1: The statistics are huge.
Speaker 3: Now, off the back of this conversation about adolescents and the popularity, the British Prime Minister has actually backed the fact that this should be shown in schools around the country, that it should almost start to become a part of the school curriculum to educate and teach against misogyny and how kids can be a little bit more media literate. And I know that's a really big thing for a teenager to understand. But with the likes of people like Andrew Tate who are consuming our young men, who are teaching them absolutely are bhorrent things, how do we counteract the crime that's happening. How do we say, Okay, it's not enough anymore for a parent to say treat your kid with respect, Like these things aren't enough anymore. So in the UK they're going to say, hey, you know what, let's bring this into the school curriculum and try and start it from the education system out well.
Speaker 2: I think if anyone hasn't seen it, a lot of it kind of revolves around screen time, and it revolves around young boys in particular forming very problematic views about girls because of the content that they're consuming online. And you know, it's a big conversation that's happened here in Australia recently around raising the age.
Speaker 4: Of social media use.
Speaker 2: But also the thing that kind of gets left out of that equation is how easy it is for kids to access sexually explicit materials online as well. And I thought the show was incredible. I think everyone who's watched it walks away from it thinking, not only is it the way it's created is amazing, it's this one shot film, but what it makes you think as a parent, what it makes you think is how you're raising your children, I think is really profound and interesting. My take home from this wasn't just a about how there needs to be work done with kids, but I also think there needs to be worked on with parents. I don't think that we are in time when parents can be illiterate to what their children are consuming online anymore.
Speaker 4: I think that if.
Speaker 2: Your kids have a screen, if they have computers in their room, if they are young and impressionable, then there has to be an understanding of what it is that they could be consuming, and there has to be conversations that are happening with your kids at home, not just with kids at school.
Speaker 4: For that change to happen.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a woman named Somasara who has founded a charity which focuses on highlighting a lot of violence against children, and she has collected thousands of anonymous testimonies from women and girls that describe what happens at schools on school grounds, and that is the groping, assault, sexist name calling, inappropriate touching, and the fact that this is increasing. So you think of how much work we have been doing as a society to try and counteract this, yet we're seeing an increase in it. So I think the education system at a bit of a wits end. It's like, so, what are we actually going to do to stop this? Because it would be a really scary time for a parent. There's a lot of parents that are not doing the right thing. There's a lot of parents that are doing every single thing they can to teach their children and protect their children, and they're still seeing that it's not enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think, you know, and one of the things that this show showed so perfectly is that it's very easy to think that it's not your child.
Speaker 4: It's very easy to.
Speaker 2: Look at your own parenting and be like, but I'm a good parent. I love my kids, I care about my kids. I want the best of my kids. I provide for them. My kid's a good kid, you know, And we always think that, right, Like you always think your kid's a good kid because you raise them, you want to protect them. But like in this instance, it's like there was so many other things that were going on with this boy who is the main character of this show, that the parents just weren't aware of. And I would dare say that there are a lot of kids who do horrible things and their parents are like, I never would have expected it from my child, And I guess like that's the thing is knowing that, like there are things that our kids can be exposed to and can be doing that we might not be aware of.
Speaker 3: Well. The British Prime Minister has said whilst it was difficult to watch and he did watch it with his fourteen year old daughter and sixteen year old son, he said, I do believe if this is put into schools it will help students better understand the impact of misogyny, the dangers of online radicalization and the importance of healthy relationships. I think as much it is as it would be very confronting for a lot of people to watch.
Speaker 1: If you are in your late teens.
Speaker 3: I think you're old enough to consume this content, and if it is going to help with the things that they think it's going to help with, then I would absolutely be all for it shown in schools to kickstart that conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And I also think if you're a parent and you're listening to this and you haven't watched it yet, I think watching it with your kids so that you can have the discussion. I don't think that there's any point a fourteen year old watching it on their own, because if they don't already understand, they're not going to just comprehend by watching a TV show. There needs to be that sort of adult intervention or you know, the school system, whatever it is. There has to be the support that goes with watching something like that. So definitely watch it with your kids and have discussions afterwards. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Having said that, it is time for us to get out of here. We're going to see you again tomorrow.