Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms. Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: Catch Up podcast.
Speaker 1: Another day, another party and thank goodness for that.
Speaker 3: And we have a very exciting guest. I am so excited. She is my favorite comedian. Everybody. It's Hajuang. She is from China. She's come to Australia three years ago. She has a lot of observations about our culture versus their culture. She blew up on social media in China and was, how do I say butrate it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't get a lot of feedback from the homeland. Yeah, but you know, it is what it is. She's not fast by it.
Speaker 4: I am so interested to hear what all your comedian friends in particular think about you grounding them as not your favorite comedian.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry, but it is what it is. At this point, she just was very spectacular. I'm a breath of fresher here with Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 1: Let's go. This is Flex and Frooms on Kaita.
Speaker 3: We were talking a few days ago about period trackers. There is a period track I use. I decided, oh my god, maybe they actually might be stealing my data. I freak out and I want to delete it.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's stealing if you gave it to them.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's a whole other that's a whole other kind of worms. And it got me thinking because then we spoke about it, and you and Mikayla, our producer, said I'm just going to do the period tracking manually in a diary and I was like, well.
Speaker 4: And I said no, because you're not getting any of the perks of manual tracking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, I need that notification with manual tracking.
Speaker 3: But it got me thinking, like I have made a physical diary before, as well as I've written things in notes. What would I rather be corrupted? Would I rather the physical diary by read by someone I love who has full access to like the characters in the diary and it's probably about them. Or would I rather a benevolent force or perhaps cloud hack out the cloud to disseminate the information to people I don't know? For profit?
Speaker 1: What's in your diary? No mean, what is in my diary?
Speaker 4: Because for me, anything that I journal like and I don't hold myself to a consistent journal standard anymore, but anything I did were dreams that I have, which I would be like, listen to my dream or another outlet to rehash the same topic I've talked about forty five times for view, just in written format.
Speaker 3: You see, you are unusual, I think for the majority of people. And I want Jordan and Mickey in the way in way In to weigh in. For me, I've always sort of diaries as a place to figure out your emotions and your interactions with people, like a journal, like journal, like when you're a kid, you've got the journal that has like the digital lock on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but how is that how you're using it right now?
Speaker 4: Are you putting things in your diary that you're not gonna unpack with other people, things about relationships?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, I've done it before, and I've been I've done it in the past, and I've been glad to do it because I look back and I can see a day to day thing of how my feelings changed. Yeah, and that's priceless.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When you sometimes doing you write a physical diary, I think there's a part of you that wants it to be found. Maybe subconsciously, I mean I don't want to be but potentially see that like you're putting out into the.
Speaker 1: And then you put your little lock on it and someone like, Hey, I hope maybe nobody sees this.
Speaker 4: That's your You're in your your spectator, your constant state of being the observer and the observed.
Speaker 1: Is someone going to see this? I hope someone doesn't see this.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I think people think like that. I'm talking about like that teenage particularly that you're talking now. No, no, no, I wouldn't write no, I'm talking about in the past, and I've written like.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know what I thought. Then what are you thinking? I thought right now, like would you rather if you were holding a digital diary or a physical one?
Speaker 1: What would you rather be? I thought what you.
Speaker 4: Were saying is the chances of your physical diary being compromised is by someone who actually quite knows you well, and it's like one or two people. But then the digital version is like the hacker and like could go to the world or no one.
Speaker 3: I'm just right that it seems like an obvious Yeah, yeah, what do you think, Miki?
Speaker 4: I think it'd be more incriminal to leak my notes up until we could get so much in.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: The drafted text my journal is just my manifesting.
Speaker 4: The journal is the manifesting place and sometimes put a little bit extra context. So you know, like I think when I write in my journal, it's when I'm trying to workshop a very specific thing, but I.
Speaker 1: Always slick it. I don't care I flipped the switch.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of like, Okay, I'm board of pining. Let's start getting the witches to get them to work, get them to work.
Speaker 1: What do we want? What do we want?
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll go home and do that tonight.
Speaker 4: I want a bajillion dollars not correct money, definitely not corrupt. Instagram isn't fun anymore.
Speaker 1: But why?
Speaker 4: That's the thing about these conversations that happen on mass on the internet. We rarely get to the why. And look, we're not looking for answers, but some context that helps us understand what's going on.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 4: Turns out, teen Vogue has a few answers for you, in the form of an article that talks about how the re reason why a lot of us hate Instagram is because we don't understand the building pressure of trying to like depict ourselves in this perfect blend of candid and curated, and that we don't understand that to be at odds with each other in such an obvious active way is the issue. It's not the fact that the feed is not in chronological order. Oh, it's not the fact that you've got to arrange your messages from primary to general horrible, horrible stuff. It's not the fact that you know sometimes someone's close friends. No, no, no, no no. The thing that is plaguing us is our interaction with the app that we don't want to change because at one point it's served a really important purpose.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So this article called trying to get your CRUSH's attention on Instagram can emotionally break You by Ameu on teen Vogue. It's a reported essay, which we love, but the whole article talks about the self inflicted negative emotional impact of trying to manipulate your crush.
Speaker 1: And I was like, where is this going?
Speaker 4: And I'm very fascinated with just any kind of online publication that still writes op eds and like these personal essays, because right now we get people's draft thoughts in these fifteen second draft thoughts, but when someone writes a ten thousand word essay one thousand.
Speaker 1: Word you're like, yeah, you meant that.
Speaker 4: So the opening paragraph of the essay says, Nia sat with her friend group at Denny's in South Beach when she opened her Snapchat to see her crush also at Denny's at the location forty minutes away in the Miami suburbs. In hopes of casually running into him, she packed her friends back into the car and sped to the other side of town in a record breaking twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: He wasn't there when she.
Speaker 4: Arrived, but she still posted a photo to her Snapchat story sitting at one of the booths. Her crush replied an hour later, Yo, you're at Denny's. Two success, and then goes on to say that she didn't know when the exact day her Instagram story posts changed from a casual portrayal of her day to day to a quest to catch a CRUSH's attention, but that she recognizes the flow on effect from all parts of her life that when did things that she did for joy or just because she wanted to do them turned into this manipulative way to be seen as someone who is smarter than she really is, prettier than she really is, more social than she really is. And Instagram provides a perfect platform for that because as we've grown to use it, we want to use it in the most, the easiest and most validating way. Right, perhaps you really could be out there having the most critical discussion, writing essays, connecting earnestly.
Speaker 1: With your people.
Speaker 4: But all you could just not or you could just read memes and use it the thirst strap or whatever you want to do. But this idea of like not recognizing when you're doing that dopamine math, Like how much of this will it take to feel good? How many times do I need to scroll so it's enough? And I feel like I've scrolled enough? How many times do I need to post and get a compliment before I feel good about the app? And I feel like the dopamine math is the secret path. The people are not clocking, like the amount of time you need to use the app to feel good. You've invested too much time on the platform.
Speaker 3: It's so, what's the antidote?
Speaker 1: Get off the apps makes you feel bad? You know what I'm saying. I don't want to hear it because.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, at one point, maybe one compliment from one friend would have been enough, but then you've seen influences get five hundred compliments with five hundred friends.
Speaker 1: It's not enough for you.
Speaker 4: The whole thing feels like you need to invest way more than you can get out of it.
Speaker 1: So jump off it, classic kids, This is flex and rooms on.
Speaker 3: Cater As we always say when we have a guest in the show, we don't often bring guests in.
Speaker 1: I reckon, we've had ten guests. No, that's too many, seven seven.
Speaker 3: Guests across twelve months of doing this show. However, when we encounter excellence, it must be shared with the broader public. Here at CATA a few weeks ago, or maybe it was a few months it was the beginning of the Sydney Comedy Festival and I was invited to the Garlamp, which is the beginning of the festival. They bring a diverse range of comedians.
Speaker 1: She's read the press, please you know.
Speaker 3: And there was one comedian that I saw who was hands down the funniest comedian I have seen at.
Speaker 1: Least all years.
Speaker 3: I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat like looking at my friend trying not to scram I can't feel like you're the funny And in a very very exciting turn of events, we have her in the studio.
Speaker 5: It is Ho Huang and how I am pretty single, I'm in my thirties and very horny for love.
Speaker 2: And visa sponsorship.
Speaker 3: We're very excited to have you on the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: Oh hi, thank you guys, thank you for having me. Super excited.
Speaker 3: Tell us about your experience with the Gala. Have you done a gala at Sydney before? Is your first time? Give us a bit of history on you.
Speaker 2: Please, Yeah, it's my first time doing the Gala with the Comedy Festival here in Sydney, so it was very cool to experience that. I think on the lineup, I'm the probably least experience. All of them have a more than a decade of experience, like ten years and stuff. It must impact Yeah, maybe because I'm new, like my face is new to general public. And also I have such a strong opinion Yeah, which about myself about everyone else?
Speaker 3: Your show was called bad Bitch Perfect. How do you describe it?
Speaker 2: It is so funny because like my first is funny. You know, the name is funny. Yeah, because like when I first thought about the show, how to name my first solo. Originally, I have so many names with it, so like boils down to tough cookie. So when I get my tattoo, I have a tattoo on a very private part of my body.
Speaker 1: As friends, do you really I do? If we tell you where friends of tattoos, we tell us what yours is?
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, Okay, So my tattoo picture my ass right in mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I have never seen it moderately size you could like you could gather, you could.
Speaker 2: Gather flat generic white girls.
Speaker 1: The crack is quite.
Speaker 4: Low, so low, long back, long back, very long back, great shape. And then as we kind of imagine the bump, cleavage and it's dipping into crack if you spread cheeks slightly. Okay, just at the very apex of crack is a little tiny.
Speaker 3: Tattoo of an alien.
Speaker 1: An outline, not detailed line.
Speaker 3: It's it's an emoji style alien, really like delicate, refined.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: It's really done.
Speaker 2: My tattoo is not really adventurous. That that's yours, just meaning between my boobs, there's a weed, not weed, there's a tree butt like a small tree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a small tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Both crease, yeah, both creasy jab That amazing. I feel closer to you already.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when my tattoo artist did it and he said, you don't worr about it because like it hurts right, It's like a very tender part of your body. And then they were like, oh no, no, don't worry about it. I think you're a tough cookie. You can handle it. So I just like that phrase just leave with me. And I was like, I wasn't gonna name my first show as tough Cookie, but I went to Australian Got Talent and then the clip went viral and they will travel back to China. I guess so much like hate comments on the like specific jokes, and I was like, I'm gonna be bad bitch. So when I told my best friend here and I was like, that's the right tato.
Speaker 3: It fits you more.
Speaker 2: Tough cookie always thinks nah, and you're not tough. You just so bad.
Speaker 1: It's like self self value it. Yeah, yeah, I was cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, name it?
Speaker 3: I heard you actually won an award? What was it?
Speaker 1: I so a lot?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Best newcomer?
Speaker 1: What is best newcome up for the whole year?
Speaker 4: Huge?
Speaker 1: Can I get around with clause in the studio? Please?
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, super honored, incredible, incredible. Now we love to play a little game here. Was never gimmicky, always just to get to know our favorite guests. You make a lot of self depreating jokes about race, and we'd love for you to let loose on some weird things that Australians do.
Speaker 1: You fill it out. What are you noticing about Australians. That's just like.
Speaker 2: The first stuff I feel it's really hard to understand is English here. It's just mind blowing now for me to know there so many dialects, and also the way to pronounce stuff is different. Even I have accent too. So when I first move here and I don't understand anything, I said.
Speaker 1: So movies quickly, it's quick, particularly propily, and.
Speaker 2: I realized when I first move I was Melbourne. Yeah, when I landed, I was asking to take a cab and then the staff in airport are trying to explain to me how to do it, and I just couldn't understand because he was speaking. Now I think back is that he was speaking proper standard Australian English and in my ear just not used to it. So I was like, can you paraphrase.
Speaker 4: It slow down or speed up or make it simpler? Yeah, but I'll just figure out what I can grab.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you just like repeat against I think he repeats so many times some of the regional areas they are speaking really like Bogan kind of Australian English. It's very fun to hear that.
Speaker 3: But I don't understand.
Speaker 2: So most of Australia. I can understand. Now in Australia, you like to cuss a lot, like you know, the sea word, and I would never yeah, and not like in a bad way. Very fun to see how such an aggressive word to be used in a very fun way.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I will say with the sea word, I feel like ten years ago and new this is an age for me, for example, But ten years ago it felt way more coarse. But I swear the sea word has become like more of an adjective than anything nowadays. Yeah, I used.
Speaker 1: To even five yearsgo.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't even drop it. Like I met someone you the other day. Oh, and I said it like in a new persons setting. I was like, wait, we haven't had that discussion if that is appropriate, because for some people that's like a massive no no.
Speaker 1: In hindsight, I do say the F word quite a bit. Yeah, but you could not also, I could not.
Speaker 3: Surprises me. Do you swear now more? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I don't really swear that much like the sea word because it's just f I always see that for.
Speaker 4: It flavors the sentence were being enthusiastic. We can add a little something.
Speaker 3: So the set that went viral in China and you've got a lot of like blowback on it, why were people criticizing you?
Speaker 2: I don't understand. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think feedback did not land. Yeah, I think mostly.
Speaker 2: Just like if you're female comedians, especially in China, I think the idea about female image this telly. They have specific sets like oh, you need to be pretty tall, skinny, and you need to present like China is a good image. So if you take my set word by word, it's not necessarily funny. If you translate into Chinese, the setting is different. It's comedy, right, so it has to know a lot of nuance and context to understand it. So whoever did it? I mean the first hate was like screenshot my set and then translate word by word and the people just don't get it. They were like they call it like disgrace to my culture and my family. They try to hate me, but then doesn't really get me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, more of that's how we should be all the time.
Speaker 3: Tell us, where can we find you reckon. Everybody get involved in your universe.
Speaker 2: I have social media presence Instagram. I use it a lot h E A h u a ng like my first name and last name and that's it. That's the handle.
Speaker 1: Ohgeous. Well, thank you coming.
Speaker 3: Do you have any shows coming up that we can watch or we just need to follow the social media.
Speaker 2: I just followed the social media I can and hopefully yeah, you'll see me one day and an hour on YouTube. Yes, someone else.
Speaker 3: Thank you for coming on.
Speaker 4: Got a question for you through me? Answer it honestly? Would you fake your own death for what reason? For any reason?
Speaker 1: Just yes or no? Yep? No, you know what.
Speaker 3: I'd want to see if people feel a certain way about me, But how would you most well, because I'd actually be alive. It's a fake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But the risk cause what if they start like tell rejoice or they tell like the registry of birth and death and now you're really alive, but then you've been marked his death?
Speaker 1: How do you become alive again on paper?
Speaker 3: I guess you don't. I mean, does that mean you could travel into state or like.
Speaker 1: I don't think so you need a passport far anyway?
Speaker 4: A Belgian TikToker fully faked his own death after feeling unappreciated by his extended family and his friends, fully made a funeral on everything just to see what they would do or say. It was a pranking collaboration with his wife and his children, which is I family friendly fun which I'm a big fan of, love the nuclear family.
Speaker 1: And basically he was just.
Speaker 4: Feeling unappreciated and want to see if they really cared and what they would say, and just to light to fire up their bum to encourage them to really check for him. Which look, we'll get into how we feel about that in a second. Basically, he while waiting for the funeral service to start, he flies in on a helicopter, as dead people do. He jumps out of the helicopter. He says, hooray, it's me paraphrasing. Of course, people rush over to hug him. They can't be consoled, they're crying, they can't believe their eyes.
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 4: He claims that he wanted to and I quote, give them a life lesson and show them that you shouldn't wait until someone is dead to meet up with them. What are our thoughts? As you said, it could have backfired so much so, But realistically it's such an egocentric way to just say you need your people. Like let's say if I me flex yes, fake my own death, invited you to a funeral to be like, hey, why don't you care about me? I think in theory you'd be like, oh my god, I feel so sad the length she had to go through to like feel like she could reach out. But also, you fully hosted an event like created budget like how to run cheet, You had a playlist, you had a playlist, you took so many active steps away from the thing you really wanted. You couldn't take those same active steps to reach out to me. No, let's plan a fake funeral. Granted this is just for content. I don't have to be yeah, yeah, I don't think this was real, But I'm just like I imagine, And I saw a fair few comments on the viral video that people be like, this was just backfire on me. This feels like the most self interested, indulgent way.
Speaker 1: They'd say this is why, yeah, this is why, this say is.
Speaker 3: Why we don't check for you because you're annoying it.
Speaker 4: And the cameras in the faces as people who are experiencing real emotions thinking that their friend had just died.
Speaker 1: He's like, wow, zero point panoramic with you. Crazy one, crazy one, so silly. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 5: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.