Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast Past Deep Theirbine. Welcome back guys to TV Reload. As you may know, my name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows that you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are still a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about some of these shows and how they get made. So each episode I've been finding guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper into the shows that they're currently making so that you can hear all their exclusive stories and gain access to some of the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast however you found me. I really do love hearing your feedback, so if you can leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. On today's podcast, I have Max McKenna, stage and screen actor, well known for playing Muriel in Muriel's Wedding, the stage show which toured Australia. Max went on to star alongside Natalie Bassingthway in Jagger Little pill, which I actually saw five times. Yes, I've got a problem. Max is also known for being the only child of Gena Riley, one of my favorite comedians. We are here to unpack their feature role in the film Jones Family Christmas, which is now available to watch on STAN Australia. The Christmas feature involves an eccentric grandmother, Heather Jones played by Heather Mitchell, who finally manages to get a whole family under the same roof for Christmas. But all is not as merry and as bright in this rural home. From heartbreak and depression to meddling mothers and forced frivolity, every member of Heather's extended clan is fighting an internal battle, which I think is something we can all relate to, especially at Christmas time. This film is like a warm hug from Mum, and I hope you all take the time to check out Max in this story, as they are sensational as the non binary youngest child in the Jones family. We will talk about Max's role in the film and if their own journey through gender and sexuality discovery helped the writers and producers tell the most authentic story. I will ask Max in this chat about play Muriel's wedding and if that role left as much of an impact on her as it did for Tony Khalet. Max will share some really fun stories about Gina Riley and which character was their favorite growing up. Plus, we're going to get some exclusives from behind the scenes of Jones Family Christmas, which, as I mentioned, is now out on Stan Australia, so you should go and check that out. Anyway, guys, let's bring Max into the podcasting. Guys, I hope you enjoyed this catch up with one of Australia's brightest stars. Hey Max, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm great? How are you?
Speaker 1: I think I should probably tell you right up from the start that I'm probably your biggest fan.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, thank you. That's very nice.
Speaker 1: I have a really fun story that I want to start this podcast with. But I live in Tuac and the video store that I used to go to, you know, over last when the video stores existed, was the one in Armadale, And it actually was the same video store that you used to go to as a kid with your parents. And I was in there once paying late fees, and you were there and your mom's like, hurry, up and choose a DVD.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that sounds about right, because I would spend hours in there and I was so indecisive. So she was always like, please just pick a film.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what movies? Used to go as a kid to the video store and rent all the time?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of movies.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was obsessed with TV shows, like I watched lane On and Woodley probably a hundred times. That was kind of my favorite. But movies, I mean, I was obsessed with Mean Girls, and I was way too young to be watching it, but I just was obsessed with it. Any any kind of comedy, anything fun and camp I loved.
Speaker 1: You know, I think with Mean Girls, that's the sort of film that as kids you want to watch, but you know, a lot of the jokes go over your head or as you know, maybe a little bit not suitable for your age demographic.
Speaker 3: I mean, I did grow up in a comedian's household, so I was probably exposed to jokes I shouldn't have been exposed to younger than other kids, but so I was just accustomed to it.
Speaker 1: I just think with this movie Joanes Family Christmas, that it's that sort of movie that as a kid, you go back and rent again and again. I grew up watching films like Bushfire Moon and Bush Christmas. Did you have a favorite Christmas movie that you guys, you know, you and your family used to watch again and again.
Speaker 2: I mean we still kind of watch Love actually every year. I know that's basic, but.
Speaker 3: It is just the film that my family love, and I mean, it's such a great film, and every time I watch it, I go, oh, it's just so well done, and it's got the spirit of Christmas there and it's quite beautiful.
Speaker 1: I think Love actually is one of those films that we all grew up watching. I actually saw that at the cinemas with my parents and my younger sister. She's probably a bit young for that at that age. But I think my favorite now looking back is The Family Stone. Have you seen that?
Speaker 2: No, I haven't seen that one. What's that involved?
Speaker 1: Well, it's got Diane Keaton in it, it's got Sarah Jessica Parker, and it's very similar to Jones' Family Christmas and you're getting all of the siblings back under the same house for Christmas, and you know, drama ensues love that, you know, I went into watching this film, and I didn't know what to expect, and I actually don't always love Christmas movies, especially they're too cheesy. But I kind of feel like this film is like a warm hug from mum. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I saw it for the first time last night actually on a big screen, which was really cool, and I felt the same I think. I mean, I'm obsessed with Heather Mitchell, and I think she has that she has that energy if she's everyone's mum, and so I think she really holds this film together and is such the heart of it that you know, I cried at the end when she cries, and yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I want to know how with a film like this, like how did it all happen? Like how did it come across your desk? How did you get involved?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was traveling and I just I got an audition and with it came the script and I went, oh, this is so cool an Australian Christmas film with lesbian character in it. And I thought that was so so exciting and such a cool step for us with representation, and the character was so funny and I really connected to the story and so I just really wanted it and put down a tape and thankfully the stars aligned and I booked it.
Speaker 1: You know what drew you to this particular role?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: I kind of feel like, you know, yes, they're right. You know, it is a lesbian character, and there is a bit of a marriage between who you are and where you are in your life and this particular character. But what made you want to take this role on?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 3: I mean, I've been lucky enough now to pet to play a few queer characters, and since coming out is queer, it's been really really special for me because I spent so long grappling with my identity. So now getting to step into roles like this and be a love interest and have a romantic interest in a film whilst being an openly queer, non binary person, it's just really really heartwarming and exciting, and I just feel incredibly lucky that I live in this time.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that the way in which your character struggles with gender and same sex attractive relationships feels very honest. Did you get a chance to work with the writers the directors, Like, did they ask you to add anything to this to the character?
Speaker 3: I mean, they'd done a real, really good job of the you know, writing and creating of it, and it felt pretty authentic to me. When I first read it, I didn't read it and go, oh, this doesn't feel true. I thought it actually felt quite honest about the experience of, you know, not being accepted by someone else's family, which is an issue for a lot of queer relationships. And yeah, I just came in and we had lots of conversations and they were so open and they I think they really wanted a queer person.
Speaker 2: To play this role, so it did feel true.
Speaker 3: And yeah, Talie, who plays my love interest, is also queer, so it was it was really nice to be able to talk from a place of authenticity whilst discussing this role and the story arc.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so funny to talk to you because I always think of you being so much younger, and now we're having these broad adult conversations. Has it been interesting to navigate your own journey of discovery, I guess, with finding yourself and having to live in the public eye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, I'm kind of lucky enough that I've done a lot of theater and things, which isn't that kind of major paparazzi life of people following my every move. It's a much smaller community that kind of follows me, which I've been really grateful for because it has let me experience and find myself a bit more and you know, fall on my face and make mistakes and figure things out without a lot of public scrutiny. I think it would be really hard to be under a complete microscope. But I think I've just been so thrilled with how much community I've found from coming out that it for me, and this is not everyone's experience. I'm very privileged in this, but I've had a really really beautiful experience coming out and finding people like me.
Speaker 1: It's so cool to be able to talk to today about this film, Jones Family, Christmas, but also some of the other things that you've done in your life. I actually went back the other night and rewatched the documentary that they made, which was on SBS. I think about how you got the role of Muriel in the Murial's Wedding production. Have you ever gone back and tried to watch that again.
Speaker 3: I actually I haven't watched it back in full. I've seen little clips here and there. I think I probably want to give it a bit more time before I go.
Speaker 2: And watch it, but it's funny.
Speaker 3: My partner's brother said they had to watch it for a media class in year eleven and they had to study it, which I mean, is so weird for me, But I do think it's so special and who gets to have their first job filmed and like the process of it filmed.
Speaker 1: I remember Tony Klept forever felt connected to that character, and I remember her talking about, you know that time where you were taking on that role and what Muriel had meant to her. Did you taking on that role of Muriel's wedding have that same effect, like did that change your life in some way? Oh?
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: I think that it's one of those jobs that will always be the most special, even no matter what I do. I think that felt like a dream. The entire experience was a dream.
Speaker 2: It was so hard. It's also one of the hardest things I've ever done. But it just was.
Speaker 3: Entirely mind blowing to be this young person creating a new show with these incredible people, and having PJ. Hogan, who wrote Muriel's Weddings it's his life like to be in the room and giving his blessing, and Tony Kleet coming to see the show and giving her blessing. Yeah, I hope I have another experience like it, But if I don't, I'm okay. I'm happy to die with having that experience.
Speaker 1: You know, Max, this is the beginning. It's the beginning. I feel like we're going to talk about so many amazing roles and so many different jobs that you're going to take on. I'm excited for you. I remember I remember watching your mum's face for the opening night of Jag at Little Pill. I know Natalie bassin Twad and Nat Bass in the real world, and so I went along to the opening night to watch her in that. I remember seeing your mum and dad's face while watching you in that role, obviously watching you in that role for the first time, and it was so amazing to see parents watching their child, you know, do so well in such a such a powerful role.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom and dad are so supportive, and you know, they've always been like, you need to work hard, and we're always going to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: We're not going to bullshit you. Essentially if like we don't think something's.
Speaker 3: Good, or like you need to work hard, or you know, they've always had that attitude, so when they are proud, it feels like such an achievement because I'm like, oh, I did good.
Speaker 2: I did good.
Speaker 1: I mean, that would be so amazing, you know, to get that reaction from your family like that. The thing with jagg a Little Pill, which I just loved, was that moment where you sung the Elanis Morrissett song You Want to Know, And it was such a big moment of the song that was singing and dancing and then you kind of finish at the end and there's a there's a standing ovation that seemed to happen every time you performed it. What was it like at that point when the song would finish and you'd have to try and catch your breath.
Speaker 3: I mean, to be honest, I was so out of breath that I was like just trying to breathe and not pass out, and then to feel the audience kind of lift my energy back up was always so thrilling. Yeah, but that was That's the hardest workout I've ever done ever.
Speaker 1: The choreography, though, was so intense. I mean it was the most amount of choreography I think your character has in that just for that particular moment, but it was so there was so much going on in your mind. There must have been so much going on in your mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and there's no set corry there, at least for my role. So it was very much like let the music take you and throw your body around, and so that's that's what would happen every night, and it was it was cool because I felt like no night was the same in terms of how I felt.
Speaker 1: It would be remiss of me not to ask you this question because I am a big fan of your mum's. Did you have a favorite character or a skit that she was a part of while you were g up? Like, what was something that you maybe not Kim because everyone would know that role, but one of the other smaller roles that she had on, maybe Big Girl's blouse or one of those shows I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so many.
Speaker 3: I think what I grew up with my mum doing voices throughout the house all the time. So I mean, my favorite character of hers is called crabby because that's what she would do as a when I was a kid, was like this crab voice and that was no one's ever seen that character, but that was my favorite character. But yeah, she I mean, there's just there's so many things she's done on stage as well that you know, I saw her in Chicago about twenty times and was obsessed with her.
Speaker 2: You know, she's she's such an icon, such a legend.
Speaker 1: Is she watching your career and watching how amazing these roles that you've just recently been taking on and feeling more inspired to come back and do more acting work. She kind of handed over the baton to you.
Speaker 3: I think she's having like vicariously living through my stress and going, I don't need any more stress in my life.
Speaker 2: I've had enough stress and so it's my turn to take on that. Yeah. No, but she's she's just great.
Speaker 3: Like she helps me a lot, and I'm writing and creating my own stuff and she's such a good soundboard. So yeah, she'll always be part of my career.
Speaker 1: That's so it's so lovely to hear about that relationship between you and your mum. You know, I'm so happy that we've been able to have this chat. I can't wait for people to watch this film. But something everything. Something I ask everyone who joins this podcast is what is something from behind the scenes, something that we did not see that we won't see, kind of like a behind the scenes secret of making Jones Family Christmas.
Speaker 3: It was such a stunning experience, and I think I hope people see on screen the family dynamic, because we really had that on set. We were such a family and I know everyone says that and as.
Speaker 2: Cliche, but we were.
Speaker 3: And I love everyone who made this film, and I hope people come and see it and just feel that Christmas joy and that family connection and yeah, just have a little hope and spirit for the future.
Speaker 1: Max. This is so cool. I can't believe that I had the chance to talk to you today, and I'm so happy and so grateful for your generosity. It's been a real buckep this thing for me to do. Hopefully I've managed to keep my call and not sounded too much of it too much like a crazy fan.
Speaker 2: You kept a very call and I've had a great time.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Good luck with everything in the future, and I can't wait to see what you do next.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Okay, so here