Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. They welcome back guys to TV Reload. As you may know, my name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are still a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. So each episode I've been finding guests, but want to dive just that little bit deeper into the show they're currently making so that you can hear all the exclusive stories and gain access to some of the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast however you've found it. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. This episode of the pod, I'm joined by Melissa, last week's eliminated cook from Mastership Australia who faced her last pressure test and just missed out on getting that one week closer to finals week. Melissa Fadell is a twenty eight year old clinical nutritionist from South Australia with a Bachelor of Health and Sciences, understands the crucial link between good food and good health. Have proved to Australia and herself that she's a pretty good cook under pressure. Growing up in Adelaide in a large Italian family, she learned early on that food brings people together and creates memories that last a lifetime. Pretty cool if you ask me. You will get a chance to hear Melissa open up about her time on the show and you'll get plenty of insights into what really went down during production. I will find out how she learned to perform under pressure and what went wrong in that last cook. Melissa will talk immunity pins and if she felt like she might have played her immunity pin just that little bit too early. I will discuss if contestants can see who's getting the elimination edit and if they can pick up on who is going home. Plus, we will get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes of MASTERSHEP Australia, which is currently on Network ten and you can catch up on ten Play if you've fallen just that little bit behind. Anyway, Let's bring Melissa into the podcast and guys, I really hope you enjoy this delicious episode of TV reod. Well, congratulations on getting in the competition. This is amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so amazing. I'm so proud of myself.
Speaker 3: I did not think I would make it this far, you know, looking back at me on day one, I was like, oh my god, what have I got myself into? But making it to this point, I'm yeah, I'm nothing but proud of myself.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: What's interesting is that I was watching this series and I was thinking, is Melissa trying to fly under the radar at all in this competition to try and make it towards the end? And I want to ask you if that's something that you were trying to do at all? But also do those sort of tactics do they work on a show like Mastership?
Speaker 2: Oh? Look, I was just trying to get through every cook Honestly, I was just really trying to, you know, show up every day and give it my best. I think, you know, even if you did.
Speaker 3: Have a strategy and say that was your strategy, when you are actually in that kitchen, it's such a different thing. You know, it's really intense, it's really full on you don't know what your challenge is going to be on the day.
Speaker 2: It could be a weakness, it could be a strength. You don't know. So yeah, it's just kind of like you've got to go in. You've got to give it your ale and just hope for the best.
Speaker 1: People talk about, you know, doing a lot of preparation in preparing for the show by doing a lot of cooks and trying to add a few new tricks into their you know, resume. But what about when it comes to going on the show, did you go back and watch seasons, Like, once you've got the yep, you're going to be on the show, did you try and watch a lot of it before going into the kitchen.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. That was actually a big part of my prep because you know, you don't really know with the.
Speaker 3: Time frame, you don't really know what you what you can cook in that time. So a big strategy for me was watching past episodes, watching past challenges, and that really gave me a lot of inspiration, especially when it came to mystery Box challenges, and you know, it just it really helped. I felt like that was one of the most beneficial ways to prep for this episode for these shows, because you could just look at what other peop people were doing and take inspiration from that and then make it your own.
Speaker 1: My biggest problem though, is that if I watch too much of a series, I'd start to I mimic people. I think there's actually, oh, my friend Evie Jones, who that's a bit of a name drop. She used to be on goggle Box. She has the same syndrome. And it's like, you know, when you're talking to someone with an accent, sometimes you start to with an accent back to them. And I'm wondering if I was watching too much of the series that I'd be in there sort of impersonating someone.
Speaker 2: Oh look, I.
Speaker 3: Wish I went in impersonating Renold because I think I would have smashed all the dessert challenges. So I wish that wasn't the case for me, but I wish it was.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have watched anyone else by him the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I mean, do you do it the other thing for me? Watching this series with you and the take home and hopefully you can help me on this. I'm not very good under pressure, but you really could up the ante if the pressure was on what happens in your mind to be able to keep you so in the zone and get the job done.
Speaker 2: I was really surprised with myself, to be honest, I didn't realize I could.
Speaker 3: Deal with pressure so well until I stepped into that kitchen. And there was just something about putting on that black apron and my mind would just go somewhere else. I would be so focused and determined, and you know, I would.
Speaker 2: Always say to myself, if I'm going out today, I want to go out feeling really proud and knowing that I gave it my all. So yeah, it was just my mind would just do this thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I've got like an alter ego maybe that come into play every time I would do these elimination cooks. But yeah, there was just something about it that would make me just really go for it.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed the pressure. It felt like it made me a better cook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that pressure to me, I get. I actually watched the show and I a pil on my fingernails off because one of those shows for me where the stress level is too much and I love to cook, but you should see how messy my kitchen is. It is a disaster.
Speaker 2: Don't worry my kitchen gets like that too.
Speaker 1: I kind of would be like, it's your turn to cook tonight, but don't cook these things. And he has like spaghetti and fried rice and all these things that he reckons that I make too much of a mess, so he'll be like, just make a pork steak and shut up about it.
Speaker 2: If it requires one more than one pot or pan, just leave it.
Speaker 1: They do a really good job of making it look like someone is going to go home when they're not. And we kind of saw that a bit with Round and last night, you know, the cake and falling to pieces, and you know, it looked like probably her turn to go. Can you pick up on those storylines being created when you're in the kitchen or are you just too busy?
Speaker 3: Honestly, when you were in that kitchen, you are just so focused on getting the job done. You don't really know what's going on around you. You know, you I had no idea what Rihannan and Cas were doing.
Speaker 2: I you know, all I was thinking about was get this cook done, get this finished.
Speaker 3: So you don't you don't pick up on any of that, You honestly are just your mind is so laser focused on the task in front of you, which is getting your getting through the cook.
Speaker 1: Was there any storylines that you're watching it back, because I mean, of course you're watching every episode. Was there any big shocks watching it back that you were like, wow, I had no idea that that was happening in the kitchen at that time. Oh?
Speaker 3: Not really, To be honest, everything was pretty you know, I lived it.
Speaker 2: I lived it all and I experienced it.
Speaker 3: Also watching it back, it was kind of like just reliving it all, I guess, and yeah, just seeing it all unfold, which was great. It's the one thing I did learn was that, you know, it's there's so many other cooks in that kitchen.
Speaker 2: It's not just about you, Whereas.
Speaker 3: On the day you're like, oh my god, you're thinking that all of these things are going to be Yeah, it's going to be all about you. But it's not, which is such a good thing because you don't want everyone to see all the little things.
Speaker 2: You do, you know.
Speaker 1: They say that's the reason why a lot of reality TV contestants get upset with their edit, is that the expectation of you because you live this experience and you the whole time are thinking this is going to be on television, and then when they edit it all together, you realize that the whole show is not about you. You know, it feels like you've been given a rough edit, were an actual fact, you know, it's just splitting up the time, and I'm choosing very few things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to be honest, like they're great.
Speaker 3: They choose the they choose really kind things to show about you, which.
Speaker 2: I think is good.
Speaker 3: And you know, you realize it's you, but there's all these other great people as well, and yeah, I actually think that was a better thing. I think it was. I didn't want it to be all just about me when I cooked. It was nice to have that slit up between everyone. And the edits were amazing. It was very genuine everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Melissa edit, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: I'm very happy that they send that to you. And you're like, oh god, I'm glad that this al didn't it up on Oh god, No.
Speaker 3: I felt like I was one hundred percent myself the whole time, and same with everyone else. You know, we all showed up, we all gave it our all, and we were all very genuine.
Speaker 2: What you see is what you get. So yeah, that was that was great.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the competition is now so close that something like raspberry seeds just being forgotten to be taken out? Is that small detail that probably ends up seeing you get some home.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know, with five really great cooks left, you know you have to think about everything. You know, at the start of the competition, you know you probably didn't have to think about that as much, but at this point you need to make sure that every single element is perfect. You know, it needs to be executed so well because so much does at stake here. You know someone's going to take out the title of mastershef Australia, and you know you can't be leaving raspberry seeds in you sauce.
Speaker 1: I've done that so many times. I was like, you know, I would definitely stend home over that. But then you followed it up with the ice cream gan ash, which was another looking like another dish looked amazing up against Pathan Rhannon. But I have to admit I have definitely done that before. When it comes to overusing baking powder, it kind of looked like it was a bit of a surprise to you when they said that, had you not realiz that that had happened in the cook No, I had no idea.
Speaker 2: I thought I measured it right, but obviously I did not.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was quite a shock for me getting that feedback, because you know, when I served out my plate of food, I thought I had done a really, really good job. I thought everything was spot on and great. So yeah, it was a shock. But that's just what can happen in that kitchen.
Speaker 2: You know, you think you can have a handle over everything, but you know, when you're racing against a clock and you know there's so much pressure on you, mistakes can happen.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure that you're playing things over in your head a little bit, but are you still thinking about that immunity pin that you played, Because I was talking to Rule about this particular moment of the series and I really didn't think you needed to play that immunity pin at that point. Is that something that you're kicking yourself over. Did you really think you needed to play that immunity pin or are you just being too safe?
Speaker 2: Look, it was a five hour cook.
Speaker 3: It was a really it was a marathon. It was a lot of work, and it was a really complex dish. And I think one thing that people from home aren't seeing is that. You know, there's a difference between getting everything done and actually nailing every element, you know, And for me in that point, I felt that it was necessary for me to use the pin because I wasn't one hundred percent confident within that recipe from you know, such a well renowned chef. A lot of it was to taste, so there wasn't actually specific quantities. You had to just balance things on your own, and it was it was really hard. It was a very very complex pressure test. It was there were so many elements, and although I got everything done and I was proud of, you know, how hard I worked, I wasn't one hundred percent confident with all of my elements, which is why I used it.
Speaker 2: So I don't regret it at all.
Speaker 3: You know, I worked really hard for that pin, and I used it when I felt it was necessary to use it.
Speaker 1: So like people are using them pretty quickly, Like even last night, I was thinking that Brent probably played his immunity pin a little bit unnecessarily, and we played it typically, but I guess the allure of wanting to make it to the top five in that time, you're just like I've just got to play this immunity pin. I don't want to be sent home with it. That must be scary.
Speaker 3: And I think for Brent, you know, he's not Dessert isn't his thing. So I think if you know you're feeling really frazzled, you you know, it was a really tough challenge last night, so you know, he had that pressure. He had that pin for a really long time stout the competition, and he held on to it. And I think that he did use it at the right time because you know, dessert isn't his forte so he did what he had to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true, Yeah, that is true. And then that the judges, you know, are so amazing. You can really tell that they put their heart and their soul into the competition. You know, we can see that throughout the series. What advice or moment do you think that you will remember for the rest of your life from the feedback or the interaction that you have with them.
Speaker 2: Look, I just remember them always being so encouraging.
Speaker 3: You know, there were days where you'd come into that kitchen and you wouldn't have anything left in the tank. You just wouldn't you know. Personally, me, I had been through so many eliminations. Sometimes I would come in and I just have nothing left to give, and they were always there to be like, you know, you can do this.
Speaker 2: You need to back yourself more. You know, you're here for a reason. And I think hearing that from you know, three incredible people like they are, you know they it was, it just meant a lot.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'll always take those moments and yeah, remember that in moments of doubt that I have now, I'll remember that. You know, look at these three amazing people. They all believed in me, So I need to believe in myself too.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And it must have been fun to sort of watch this show back. And I mean, this season is coming to an end. What if you got planned for how you're going to watch the finale? Are you going to get together with people in your state? Are you going to fly to be with some of the other people. Is there a party that's happening that I don't know about?
Speaker 3: You know what, I haven't even thought about it yet, But maybe today I've got to make a few phone calls, you know, and see what everyone else is doing. Maybe we need to organize like a little viewing party or something.
Speaker 1: I reckon you could all get on like a zoom chat.
Speaker 2: And that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Green record everyone watching the show back, Like, I don't feel like you would even need to have people talking, just have the entire cast watching the show just to see those reactions.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea. I'm going to suggest that we've got a little group chat. So maybe I'll put that in there today and I'll see what everyone's thoughts are on that.
Speaker 1: Because imagine in years to come when you want to go back and watch it. I mean, you can watch the finale the way that it played on TV, or you would have that extra special moment of watching it with everybody. I don't know, it sounds for yeah, that would.
Speaker 2: Be really nice.
Speaker 3: We went through this whole experience together and we all really bonded over it, so it'll be nice to celebrate it all at the end.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think I'm going to make some phone calls today.
Speaker 1: You also mentioned last night that you started the whole experience thinking that you're a savory cook. I'm more of a savory cook, if I am honest, And then you say that you know you're quite enjoying cooking desserts. Do you know where you will take your cooking from here. I mean, are you the next Kirsten Tibbles or is that a satur name? Yeah, you can.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm the next Kirsten, but you know, I went into.
Speaker 2: Master Chef thinking, yep, savory is my strong point.
Speaker 3: I'm going to really focus on that. But I just really fell in love with making desserts. You know, it's actually quite technical making desserts. You do feel like you're a bit of a scientist sometimes, and I really enjoyed that process. And you know, you can make desserts look so beautiful, which I really loved the presentation of that as well. So I definitely will continue to experiment and learn and yeah, expand on what I know when it comes to desserts. But yeah, for me, I just love wholesome cooking, you know, using really fresh, vibrant produce, things that are going to really nourish my body and my mind. So yeah, I'm excited to see where it all takes me.
Speaker 1: The other thing, I don't know, are you reading stuff online? Because I read this online this morning and fans were saying that they think that Rhiannon and cath you know, being quite popular with the show that they should after this series have their own series together to cook. Do you think that that's something that could actually happen. Do you think those two women could join forces and have their own show.
Speaker 2: I think they definitely could. I think it would be a great show. I would definitely watch it. They are so funny, they're such great women. I would love that.
Speaker 3: I also think that Robbie and Decklan should have a show together because I think that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what we could do, like we get the four of them back, Yes, watch them. Yeah, I would love that.
Speaker 2: I think that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: I was I think that was unwell. I can't remember what happened when I missed out on interviewing Robbie and he at that point of the competition, I was like, he was one of my favorites. So still kicking myself. He kind of feels like, you know, we could bring him back though. He could do it. He could do another series of Mustard.
Speaker 2: Robbie is just the best.
Speaker 3: He was one of the greatest things to come out of that experience for me. I have such a great friendship with him. He's so kind, he's so supportive, you know, it's yeah. I think, Yeah, he is awesome and I can't wait to see what he does. He's so loved and he deserves every bit of it. So yeah, I'm really excited for what he does.
Speaker 1: I just like it as well because I think about myself all the time. I'm like, I'm forty three. In my life it's over. And now I look at something like that, I'm like, yeah, forty three is not old. Gods, not at all old, not at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can change your life at any point. It's a yeah. You know, look at Robbie. He did something as crazy as Master Chef and he smashed it.
Speaker 3: He did so well, and he's so loved and this is just the start of his journey now.
Speaker 2: So age is no limit.
Speaker 3: You can do whatever you want at any point in life.
Speaker 1: What do you think not what you know now, but like maybe when you left the kitchen, who do you think is going to win this competition? Who did you think was going to win?
Speaker 3: Look, this question I find really hard to answer because.
Speaker 2: One thing I learned whilst being on Master Chef is that you could be the best cook, but depending on the challenge of the day, that it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: You know, if there's a challenge and say it's one of your weaknesses, it could be.
Speaker 2: Really hard and you might not do really well. So I find this question hard to answer.
Speaker 3: It really just depends on the day, It depends on the challenge, and it depends on how you show up, you know. And all five cooks that are left in the competition they're all really strong and they all have different strengths and weaknesses.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's really tough.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm really close with Declan and Rhannon, so I really hope that they're up there. But yeah, it's so hard. I find this question really difficult to answer.
Speaker 1: No, it's hard because you're right, you know, this is one of those shows where there is a bit of luck, chance and circumstance that plays out lately, which means that you know, I mean I still think about Sashi going home. You know, I just think, you know, one of the best cooks in Australia coming out of the competition halfway through. You can't really predict that kind of stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really just depends on the challenge and something can go wrong and it is what it is, like, you know, it's some sometimes it's you don't have time to fix it, or you try and pivot and maybe it doesn't work, or yeah, it's really hard. It's really you just never know. You kind of just got to show up and give it your role and hope for the best.
Speaker 1: Well, some seasons you feel like you know who's going to win because there's someone that stands out. Where with this season, I honestly like, you know, we've literally got two weeks left, and I'm like, I have no idea, Like I feel like it could be anyone, anyone still left in the competition at this point, Like it's impossible.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's anyone's game.
Speaker 3: And like I said, they all have very different styles of cooking. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, so it's really hard to pick because they're all so talented and they're all very determined.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think you get to this point in the competition and you're so close to the end that you just amp up those levels of motivation, you amp up all everything you know so you're ready to take it on and that adds another level of cooking. So yeah, I'm very excited for them. Yeah, it's going to be these next couple of weeks are going to be really really great to watch.
Speaker 1: And also, you don't need to win this show to really stand out after the competition. I think we'll probably do the most with their master Chef exposure. Who do you think is going to you know, use this in a way that's going to work the best?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I know everyone's got different dreams. Everyone's got a different food dream that they want to achieve. So, you know, everyone from this season is so motivated to make the most of it. So there isn't one person that stands out to me. You know, everyone's really going for it. Everyone's really determined to make something of it, and we all worked really hard while we were on the show. So yeah, it's I mean, I'm excited to see everyone's journey unfold because they're all going to be very different, but I.
Speaker 2: Know that everyone's going to really go hard and give it. They're all well.
Speaker 1: A question that I ask everyone who joins the podcast is what is something from behind the scenes, something that we did not see on the show, but maybe kind of a story personalized to you about what it was like to be on Mastership Astray twenty twenty three look.
Speaker 3: I think for me it's the preparation side of things which people don't see. And one thing that I did to prepare was I made flash cards, because when you're in the kitchen, it's all memory. You know, you don't have a recipe to follow, you don't have your notebook, you don't have your phone, you haven't just your brain.
Speaker 2: So for me, every night before I would go to bed, I had about fifty flash cards with my recipe on one side and the question of what the recipe was. And I'd sit there and I'd ask myself, how do I make as cream? And then I'd have to remember all the ingredients and what it was and then flip it over akcheck got that right onto the one.
Speaker 3: So for me, flash cards were kind of like my BTS little moment, which really helped me so much, because yeah, it's all memory. It's there's no there's no cheating, there is no phones, there is no recipes.
Speaker 2: It's just you go in and it's what's it up here? That's it.
Speaker 1: That sounds so stressful. I think if I was you, if I ever saw a flash card again, I'd have PTSD.
Speaker 2: I tell you what, I couldn't wait to get rid of my flash cards.
Speaker 1: It used to come and be like, I wish I would have kept them as a memento, but yeah, look I did.
Speaker 2: I have them somewhere.
Speaker 3: They're like hidden away in a drawer where I don't see them, but I have kept them because one day I'll I'll have a little look at them and I'll have a little laugh and think, well.
Speaker 2: I did a lot of prep for that. It was like it was like studying for a really, really really intense final exam.
Speaker 3: So that's how I looked at it.
Speaker 1: Good advice for people that are listening to this that might have for their show, you.
Speaker 3: Know, absolutely, I think it was. Yeah, I think it was a good little tip to take on. I thought, yeah, that work for me, and that's how I'd study for exams.
Speaker 2: So I think it's a good way for people to, you know, if they're thinking about going on next season, then it's a great little tip. You know, make your flushed cars. It's going to help you with your memory. It's going to help you remember your recipes. And it helped me a lot definitely.
Speaker 1: Well, the series has been like a warm hug from mum. It's been a very wholesome series. It's been a lot of fun to watch. Thank you so much for being so generous and talking to me this morning, and good luck with what you do with your master Chef experience from here, I think, like a lot of people, i'll be in your audience.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it was the most amazing journey and I'm so proud of how you know how far I went, and I'm really really excited for this next chapter. I've got lots of big hopes and dreams which I hope to fulfill. So yes, definitely stay tuned and make sure you're following me on on socials.
Speaker 1: What is your social media handle?
Speaker 3: Yes, so my personal page is at Melissa for Deli, and then my business page is at good Day Wellness Underscore, so I post all of my mood boosting meals on there.
Speaker 2: I talk a lot about nutrition and mental health, and I sell a beautiful wellness journal as well, so come and check it out.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm doing that now, as just everybody else is. That's on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Good Love that