Speaker 1: Hey, legends, Welcome back to the Mason Cock Show. Big week of footy this week, Carlton's back, big big win over the weekend port of one eleven straight. They're on fire. We've got Dema watching Kochi's three hundred. That's a big milestone. But there's a great, great story in here, and that is I went to Bali with Harry Shechezel's mom. Yes, we'll get into that in plenty more of this episode, so tune in. All right, let's get into it the footy fix. What do we have for the clanger of the week? Brandon d D da da da big Charlton win. We'll get to that. That's not the clanger of the weeks. That's very well done by Vossi and the boys, but we'll get to it later in the show. Clanger of the week off the very top. Now this one, I don't know if you missed this because you're in Bali. You're on the lounge chair by the pool. You don't have time to be checking in. Well, the stand rule dead. It's dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gone, mane Yep, you don't need to stand anymore. Well, you know Baker didn't stand anyway, Jump into that story. So Baker's on the mark and he comes off the mark and then smothers the ball, kicks the goal, kicks the that's it. That whistle's nothing, no, nothing, no, I tell you the stand rule is dead. So stand comes off his stand, smothers the ball, gets the ball, kicks the goal.
Speaker 1: Stan roll dead. Ah. Was it a pivotal moment in the game. You'd say it was.
Speaker 2: Richmond was fifty five and Saints for forty four five minutes left in the second, So really it was not a lot in it that put him up by another couple of goals going in a half time. It's probably not even like important, is it.
Speaker 1: I love the Saint Kilder player's reaction of like hands up, like yo, what are you doing.
Speaker 2: I just don't get the point of the stand rule if you can just not stand. So yeah, a bit of a weird one. I'm gonna say, just a temporary Uh, that's a clanger on the umpires. I'm given on double barrels casis bread two weeks in a row. But I'm sure the AFL will come out clear it all up. I'll have a reason behind it, and I'll give it the green tick. So stand by on the stand Rod Dead, stand by on the stand rule because I'm sure it's not because you probably give away fifty next week. So I don't want to be given you bad advice.
Speaker 1: I'm not taking your football advice. I hate to break it to your braid. If the club it's like, what the fuck? I got this advice from Brandon on the podcast. Here's the clip, temporary question marks around.
Speaker 2: A question marks on the standard.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll go into my clanger. Everyone just settle in. This is me trying to explain cricket. This is gonna be a golden nugget. You best believe trying. You're a big cricket fan, huge cricket guy, huge stumps and bats and raise the things. Anyway, So over the weekend there's you know a bit of a match going on called the Ashes. Everyone knows and it's essentially a competition for the tiniest cup possible for a championship trophy urn sorry the urn, Yes, the miniature earn of literally two inches tall. Anyway, we move on the bowler, Allie Robinson from England, number fifty seven. Here. Number is not a big thing in cricket. I'm a big fan of them. So I'm gonna say number fifty seven. He's bowling. He gets usman Kauwaja out Now, who'sman quadja what I've been told decent little knock right. One hundred and forty four, one hundred and forty one runs at this time. That's pretty good. That's a plus century plus. You raised the bat at that point. He's had a good outing, as they say. Now after he gets them out right, he keeps running at pace right past old Kauwaja and gives them a little bit of lip He says, you best believe I'm gonna let you know what just happened. And maybe there was some lip reading. That might have been some obscenities. I'm not here to divulge into the details, brain, and that's not what I'm good at.
Speaker 2: It'skay, two very clear words, one starting with F one starting with.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, gough. And so I was like clanger of the week. But it's a little bit ironic coming from someone that does that every single week. I was just blown away that Twitter and everyone else lost their shit that this man talked a bit of trash in the old nice fancy game at cricket.
Speaker 2: So you're on Ali Robinson's son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. I'm all for it. I hate to say it, Australia.
Speaker 2: That's not good.
Speaker 1: The trash talks don't need in this world anyway. So I'm not only saying that's a clanger of the week. I'm doubling down on the cricket clanger of the week this week Mowen Allie fine twenty five percent of his match fee for putting drying agents on his hand. I'm gonna take you back here, Bryden. I don't know if you know a lot about cricket or the history of cricket. Australia had a little bit of issue, just one, a little bit of an issue, just one. Just shine in a ball with a little bit extra sand, all right, let's just say that. And the ironic thing about this ron so England essentially cheated Ron, Australia's cheated, England's cheated. We're all cheats. And the saying of the English fans ron that they say, and they chant this, they go say, old Assi is always cheating. Bit rich, I'd say, bit rich. Whenever you're just putting a bit of drying ages on your hands, just get a little bit more spinish speed on that ball, just saying cricket fans.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I know a bit about cricket.
Speaker 1: You probably don't know as much as me.
Speaker 2: Though I'm not suggesting there I suggest No, I'm just saying, not a lot happens in cricket long game. So I don't know how they're thinking they're getting away with this stuff when there's a million people watching and there's a million cameras on them, and they're all super slow motion, different angles of you rubbing sandpaper on the ball or spraying shit on your hands or licking a lolly, and like rubbing it on the ball. That happened, as you would very well know, Mace, it happens.
Speaker 1: I remember you remember that time.
Speaker 2: It happens often where they have like a little mint in their mouth and they let their hands and rubbing on the ball to give it a bit more shine. Well, I don't know, turn it up on all of them, because if you're gonna cheat, get good at cheating.
Speaker 1: Cheat, well, be good at it. Cheating ten k Like.
Speaker 2: If you're all gonna cheat, get creative with it. I mean Australia's was pretty creative, just poor execution.
Speaker 1: Why choose the color yellow. Choose white. Choose the same as your pants.
Speaker 2: It's smart. Come on, if you're gonna cheat, Mo and Alley. Now, I don't know because they've almost the race to every piece of footage, just the place place of the earth at this thing. But he's down there with the bloody spraying cannon, Glenn twenty just playing it on mate. We're going to see so I don't know.
Speaker 1: Ten k resolution dude batting away with it.
Speaker 2: If you gotta cheat, get good. I don't know what their bloody doing, but they're not very good cheaters.
Speaker 1: Not fairy good. Choose. I want to ask you this. Do you all have wizard sticks? Here s wizard sticks, and you like drink cans and you like duct taping together and make a big stick of it, and you go and you essentially joust each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, But it's different at the cricket here because you've got the plastic cups. So they just it's a community based thing because Aussie's you know, we are one all in, but we are many, as the song suggests, And they put all the cups together and create one gigantic snake out of plastic cups. Snake, and then security comes across and they're just like, wow, you know the big DeBie down. I was like, you got to give us your snake cup back and then it all starts again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, because whenever you tell someone not to do something, especially after a few beers, what's the first thing they do exactly what you told them not to do.
Speaker 2: I went to the very first cricket game after they banned the Mexican Wave in Australia, which makes nice.
Speaker 1: They were literally enticing people to do the Mexican Wave with our last game.
Speaker 2: It's the dumbest thing they can do. But yeah, I went to this game and.
Speaker 1: Shit was on.
Speaker 2: There was mayhem. They were throwing, people were throwing all kinds of cook stuff up into the air. It was like people were going and buying stuff like sandwiches and like chips and stuff and just throwing it up in the air. We got covered in like orange juice and like beers and everything. But it was you know, it was on for young and old and it went forever. I think it only stopped when someone scored like a fifty and everyone stopped the clap, like everyone's brains to everyone's attention span was like a second this was before mobile phones. But I digress. We're going to old schools, So who's who's your clanger?
Speaker 1: Clanger's essentially just a bit of just push fans and I'll go with the media on the Cowaga and Robinson deal because your team only.
Speaker 2: Robinson, which is that's going to go down great? Well, let's jump into the footy mace.
Speaker 1: First game after less after Batport versus Geelong. This was going to be a juicy game, Geelong right on the cusp of the eight. Port very high up there, number one on later at the moment.
Speaker 2: Because Geelong, if they had have just won this, then they've just they've managed to put themselves into the position of winning the premiership the year before and then completely flying under the raidar because if they won this, there's a period of time. I don't know if they would have finished in there, but they would have been in the eight.
Speaker 1: Not probably the start that a lodge long fans probably thought after winning a Grand Final, but I think they'll definitely be in the top eight by the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Well, they always have that advantage. They play a stringer home games in Geelong and it's pretty damn hard to beat them down. There, so they're definitely thereabouts. Now let's pull this one apart, because there's plenty that happened in this game, and in particular, there's got to be the biggest talking point out of the whole thing. Patrick Dangerfield comes back off a hamstring injury. What happens first game, Well, he pretty much dies. Cops had partially collapsed lung and cracked ribs in a marking incident where I don't know, probably could have put him in the clangers. Gary Rohan teammate Gary Rahan just pushes a blog into the skip. Hey mate, take a punctured lung and some broken ribs. That's probably not what you want from a teammate, but yeah, it looks like he's probably going to be out for an extended period of time and actually have to drive back from Adelaide to Geely.
Speaker 1: As soon it was the cabin pressure. Maybe in the flight because of this collapse. Long you're afraid something worse is gonna happen, but gosh, that would suck. You imagine it a game and then be like, ah, we're all getting on the flight. You stay on the bus. You're gonna go another six to eight hours back to Melbourne and enjoy We'll see you in the morning. Another thing out of this Finlayson fins up ends up, kicks four and he's been playing damn good over the last few weeks. Yeah. I feel like ever since that good news with his wife and the health concerns I'd had, he's been he's been playing real well footy.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, he's probably gone to another level. I reckon he's had a good eighteen months. He's been good since he went to Port and kind of started playing that Rockford role. Yeah, he's been very good, but lately just kicking goals.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Another couple of big shining stars Quinton Arkle and also Sam pal Pepper and I Quintin Arkle pretty funny playing his old side kick two snags that would have felt oh, would have felt real good, just to stick the dagger and then get the w and say yes, shouldn't have dropped me?
Speaker 2: Have ledy good and the game that he like returns just being against his old side is just like, it's poetic in the way that it comes about him and pow Pepper. I love watching power Pepper play.
Speaker 1: One of the great names in the NFL. It just rolls off the tongue. You just love to say it.
Speaker 2: He just attacks it such ferocity.
Speaker 1: A few more jigs for Hangley. He's getting to dance up. His caves are getting a wark.
Speaker 2: I think he want a few more zeros on his contracts.
Speaker 1: How have they not signed him? Say this every week? Can you sign the man Ken Hinckley already?
Speaker 2: I just have flashbacks of Rossline incident where they didn't sign him up, and then he's got you know, mortgage to pay, family to feed. It's like, well, someone, It just leaves the door open for someone to knock on it and go, hey mate, we've got a big, juicy five year or ten year afore you and a couple of zeros. How about you come over to our club. So I don't know. I don't know why clubs leave it.
Speaker 1: A few interim coaches going around them.
Speaker 2: Plenty of positions going around. It's like lockdown your.
Speaker 1: Boy, Yeah exactly, Well we've got to say this a watch. What's what's the update? What's the update? Brad?
Speaker 2: I don't know if you want it. Mace, I don't know if you want it. Because our boy didn't get too many numbers. I don't know if he was subbed oubt of this game because he got one goal, ten disposals and a mark am one one Mark yeah one Mark Okaki okay, okay, yep. I think we go back to the drawing board, have a look. We reassess he'll bounce back from this.
Speaker 1: He's better bounce back because I've got him winning the Coln. I need him to bounce back. Well.
Speaker 2: Somehow, he's still second in the Coleman after a couple of weeks that he's produced, and he's got Charlie Kurno who's kind of dipping off too. So they got out of the gate early.
Speaker 1: Say there's a chance.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's one of those it's one of those common races. They burst out of the gates and then they just they're just cruising. Now they're just cruising midyear and then I'll come home strong and Jess will really lift coming out of this. Now they got Melbourne next week GMHBA. So back at the home home ground advantage. He knows how to play the ground. He'll probably kick ten or twenty, so he'll be back next week. He's back up and running.
Speaker 1: We've put a lot of faith.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we put a lot of faith.
Speaker 1: We put a lot of faith and we'll move on to the next one. Brisbane versus Sydney. Now, big old Oscar McNary, number forty six had a day out. Man had forty six hit outs, eighteen disposals and a goal. And it wasn't against you know, the second rock of Sydney's choice. This was against Tom Hickey, who's their first rock. So the man had a good game of football. You would say, now it's forty six, that's a lot. That's a lot. Fifty is like absurd. You had fifty hit outs. You've just dominated someone.
Speaker 2: What did we say earlier in the year, he's a plumber, because you've got more taps than a plumber.
Speaker 1: So we liked that. Brisbane the all fun fact about then they haven't lost a home yet. They have a bit of a fortress up there at the moment. And I mean like they beat us up there. They've now knocked off Sydney up there and a few others. It's it's a sign up like I think it's maybe a bit of the I always say it's a bit of the like you know, humidity and the dampness and the wet ball and then being used to playing up there more than the other team, and they it's it's tough. It's tough to go one up there. But they also weren't so great in front of goals after halftime six fourteen not adel do you.
Speaker 2: Wish you had a fortress? So obviously you're good at the G, but you share the G. It's like you've got housemates. You got there's a few keys cut, you know. They all imagine if you if you had one ground there at Vicki Park and you all rocked up to the fortress and you just lock it down and you maybe don't spit on players and stuff like you used to do and pour cups a year and on them like back in the day.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe dal it back just a bit a fortress.
Speaker 2: It'd be cool just to have your own place.
Speaker 1: It would be cool to have like a proper home ground eventage rather than like other people playing in the same ground. No complaining about the G now we love the GGS is the best place to maybe kick the others in set. But I do kind of think it's cool whenever you've got like port Adelaide play really well on that deck. Adelaide also plays really well on that deck. GMHBA plays really well. But I always found this interesting because AFL does not have like a regular you know, regulatory size ground. Every ground is different, which I that baffles me, Like, how do you not think that like there's you know, one hundred and fifty meters from one side to the other or like two hundremeters long and then be able to make the oval from there. So it's weird to think that they've made different sized ovals for different home grounds and some play like some people play it a lot better. You think of adelaide a lot of those teams up and down the grounds not as much with so able to play that ground and have a bit of a game style that suits it. Well.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty big ground size, so you got to you know, clear some land and stuff. And if there's a few people's houses in there, how you kind of just say we need to knock down your house because we need another ten meters. So we're the same as the G. So I don't know, and it throws in you know a bit of randomness to it. So you know, they've been talking about how Brisbane's not very good at the G and the ground dimensions are different and you've got to play it different. You guys with you what was it the other year Sydney fiasco where you're training and you've got the cones and you've got to stretch out the training ground. It just gets in players heads, gets in teams heads. They overthink it, they underthink it, they think it, they think it, they definitely think it now. Something that was very interesting that came out of this is reported throughout the week that Daniel Rich and Jack Gunston might have put up the hand and said, hey mate, been a bit under what the standard is?
Speaker 1: Very interesting.
Speaker 2: Would you be one to be putting your hand up and say, hey, fly ah, not really getting it done? What do you reckon? Weake in the two.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna leave that decision up to the coach rather than myself probably that's my personal opinion. But yet it was interesting. Whenever I read that, I was kind of a bit like, oh, okay, maybe there's something going on here that we don't know the full information to who knows, But you know, for them, if they're sitting there saying like, we want the best team out there, and if they think they're not part of that best team, and they're going to be better without them, then I guess it's understandable. I wouldn't really probably give as a personally like myself, I wouldn't give someone else the opportunity to play better than me on the week, if that makes sense, you know, like I don't want someone else who's going to come out there and you know, be able to give that opportunity to someone to outshine me, like I'm hopefully going to go out there and play my best every single week. So that was an interesting one from my perspective. I'm not sure because you're backing yourself in, yeah you would, Yeah, always every week you back yourself in. That's why you play football, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can be commendable though, if you're like, look, this is what they're asking me to do and I can't do it, like I know in myself if.
Speaker 1: You can injury or something. Right, let's say you're carrying an injury like something that's a niggle that's like, you know, maybe restricting you from being you know, ninety two hundred percent. You never played one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: They like, Mace, we need you to get down the line. Why aren't you making it there? And you're like, it's because I've got an issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then that's that's understandable. But I think that would be probably released as more of a medical thing than someone just raising their hands saying, you know, I'm going to sit out this one. So it was a very unique. I've never heard the scenario happen in AFL before. It's very unique. But yeah, we'll see if that changes over the next few weeks.
Speaker 2: Brisbane got the w over Sydney, so who knows. It might have been a good result, but yeah, as you said, they're very good up there, so we wait and see. Now, another incident out of this one I showed you. I've recently shown you the vision, so you might be able to talk on it a bit. Semi Wicks, what are you doing? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Right as soon as he did it, he realized it too. He goes off.
Speaker 2: So, for those who haven't seen it, Sammy Wicks on a Brisbane opponent I think it was Lester. He kicks the ball and Semi Wicks just runs up, leaves the ground, raises the elbow and hits him in the head.
Speaker 1: He essentially combined everything people have been getting suspended for into one action, decided to do it over the weekend. As soon as he did it, he put the arms up and he goes, no, don't man, another bye week.
Speaker 2: It's real shocker. But you know, I think, you know it's one of those ones where it's good as an industry that we're like, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a bit more clear cut now, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent now GWS Freemantle big loss for Freo. I would say that's that's the big thing coming out of this now good win by GWS, GWS up and about they're there about.
Speaker 1: You've been on the GWS train for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like we'll see where they land come finals. But Freo were on a winning streak and then they really stuffed it up last week by losing to Richmond at home. And now they go to GWS with another opportunity, and boy, oh boy, was it. It was a stinker, to say the least.
Speaker 1: Never really look close.
Speaker 2: It was such a low score in the end.
Speaker 1: JA grabcardy, Ricky Bobby kicked five, kicked a bag.
Speaker 2: I liked rickar and Dry.
Speaker 1: I like Ricky Bobby. We'll let the fans decide that one. Toby Green kick four and Kelly kick three so the big names all kicking big goals, which was always good. Now Jesse Holgan's late withdrawal had calf tpness. He's been playing really well too also, So even without some of the better players like Jesse and the team, they still were able to get a massive win over Frio and it's their biggest win gwos's biggest win under Kingsley, but it's also biggest Freemantle loss under a long mirror in three and a half years he's been coaching.
Speaker 2: There was one weird stat that came out of it of the Frio like really slow starts. Yeah, like, what do we do about that? Opening terms? They've lost twelve of thirteen this year, So we got any ideas that we can get around ideas, maybe a bit of hype. Hype Now, I don't know if it's if music's going to do the job. You're coming out there, you lose them by seventy points. You need a defibrillator to give them the hype that they need to win this one. But we just need maybe a bit of spark, early.
Speaker 1: Bit of spice. I think a hype video right before you go out, money right on cute right, and then maybe be like, I don't know, maybe it's something just to get the boys railed up, you know, and give him like a give him a target, give him someone on the whiteboard. You can absolutely smash my target.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: And you're going to give him something to really get amped up about. They can all get around. It's like something in the game. Whenever it happens, everyone's like, oh yeah, we're in something like that. Then just get everyone to go, let's go. Today's our day. Let's do this thing.
Speaker 2: What about ultimatums. It's like, hey, boys, all right, fiffy, you love him, your door him. Yeah, well, we're going to cut him if we lose this game.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a bit of circ If.
Speaker 2: We don't, if we don't win this first quarter, we're going to cut him there on the spot. He's going to be subbed out. Quarter two. We're going to drag him.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, my favorite players, no, no, you need a specky On the weekend, I think it was spectacular. I must say.
Speaker 2: I just feel like you need some more threats in the game.
Speaker 1: Threats, Like he's not a threat guy. I feel like he's such like a calm, collective, very like, very methodical of making decisions.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite post game like or mid game like snack you get on the snakes? Do you get the gummy snakes?
Speaker 1: The gummy snakes you don't do like the vix you know, vapor up and you get the little like the little snuff. Yeah, you're like, yeah, you know, they should do smelling salts everyone before they leave the room, do the smelling salts. Yeah, that will wake your ass up, like no one's fucking business.
Speaker 2: That was the weirdest thing to me. That So it's like vix in, like hot water in a bottle with face mask and when I first.
Speaker 1: You get on a plane and it drops down.
Speaker 2: When I first got to the club, I was like, oh, we're gonna be investigated for sure. Though the boys lined up at the door. You just got like some volunteer on here, sniff on this thing, brought it from home.
Speaker 1: We don't do it anymore. But yeah, that was that would wake us up. Oh my god, some beauty. Now move on to the next game. Richmond versus Saint killed a big one. Everyone, everyone I'm sure is aware of. That's Catch three hundred, three hundred games, absolute legend, and it was awesome. To see he had two goals in the game, he got chaired off. Him and his kids all got cheered off by people, which is a very very lovely site. The whole family is involved, and you know, even before the game, he runs up, he's first out there and he turns around and he high fives every single player and then you know, Jack and Reewat and him just kind of go arm and arm. They run out together. It was a very kind of beautiful moment, a feel good moment from the weekend.
Speaker 2: I felt like crazy career to make it to three hundred, but like when you join the club, the condition that it's in to where you finish and the legacy that he leaves is massive.
Speaker 1: Wild.
Speaker 2: You got to love him. And the best part about it was during the broadcast, they kept cutting to a bloke that most Richmond supporters know and love, Damien Hardwick, sitting up in the crowd, and every time the camera would go to him and the cheer would go up and he's just lapping it up at the moment, which is so good to see. He's doing the fist pump and the crowd, yeah, they you know, got right around him, and it's got to be pointed out that they went through that journe need together the whole way through, so it's you know, it was great to see him there celebrating clutches three hundredth and Jesus. They saw the low times together, which made the success all the more sweeter, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, and it was. It was awesome to see him at the game. And I think we mentioned this before we got on the podcast, was not many coaches leave the game and people love them, you know, everyone hates them there because they're fired because they weren't doing well or they didn't have the enough wins on the board. Whoever. It was like Demon went out and was like, look, guys, I've got new three premierships over four years, Like I'm gonna live on as a legacy for this club for ever. And yeah, mentally, I just want to, you know, I need to take a break. And everyone was like, you know what, take a break, dude, Like your life you've lived literally given us so much success, Like we can't ask anything more of you, Like, you know, we obviously would love to win more premierships and all that kind of stuff, but if you need that, like you've given so much dies it's like, okay, like if you need this, you know, we're willing to you know, let you have it. And it was awesome. It was awesome to see him get like the love and affection at the MCG all the different fans you cheer him on, and I'm sure he would have enjoyed that deep down to know that, like, you know, he's loved by all the Richmond supporters are there.
Speaker 2: It would be a real head scratcher for me to think of. Like a coach leaves a club and then they pan to him in the crowd watching the team and everyone's like, yeah, gold buddy. It's very rare. Normally it's like get out of our club. You ruined it. And most of the time coaches are gone full loopy by the time they're finished, so they're normally half loopy by the time they leave.
Speaker 1: I will say this bit of room for improvement for demmer chug a beer next time. Oh how good we that he goes on? He goes first one double fist pump. The second time they go to him, chokes it down Bob Hawk style. How good would that be?
Speaker 2: And he starts the snake and.
Speaker 1: Then he starts the Mexican Wave.
Speaker 2: It's all happening, a shining light out of this game. As a young kid, he's a bit of a battler, buddy. He just tries. Every week. He goes out there, ties his boot lacers up, he pulls his socks up, and he tries to have a crack. But maybe sometimes it doesn't work for him. He's probably around the one fifty one fifty one market players.
Speaker 1: In the camp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this kid's name and fifty what's his name?
Speaker 1: Tim Taranto, Tim Tarana, Tim Taranto, the guy that won the Ian Stewart Medal for Best on Ground over the weekend.
Speaker 2: The one goal that he kicked, you know, it was a bit of a cheapie, no such thing, you know, in the wet across the body to win the game. It was okay, I'll put it in the okay basket. Wow, Wow, he'll get better.
Speaker 1: It was absolutely killing earth Melon and start who played up a little bit please, But it is another win for Andrew mc McWalter. I think that's how he says last name.
Speaker 2: I remember the name now. First week I was like, what's this? Who is this clerk?
Speaker 1: And I almost want to say McAllister for.
Speaker 2: Everyone in the industry seems to know him very well, so I've been living in under a rock. But he is well, one knows his name now because he's he's probably going to drag him back to the finals.
Speaker 1: It is a real, it's real.
Speaker 2: They could be playing finals at the end of this year. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a bye week, firstmen coming up, so they'll take a little bit downtime after the big win on the weekend. And it was an The mcg might be absolutely screwed after that game too, because it was a puddle of mud. The whole thing was just drenched.
Speaker 2: I was pretty courageous. I walked down to the bottle shop in that weather. You do it me complaining about it? Just get the jump done? Beautiful week, No your old player on.
Speaker 1: It was thirty in bowie. Anyway, next game we got Carlton versus the Cold Coast signs your boys are back. What's the Navy Blue song?
Speaker 2: Blues? I don't know. It's been freaking ages since I heard it, so it's hard to remember. Let's break it down because they didn't really burst out of the blocks, and I'm sure every Carlton sweat fan was sweating because this was d day for him. It's like you got to show something against Gold Coast Coast at home. In the second quarter, Carlton came out and blew them out of the water. At one stage they were going at one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: They were nine to three. They kicked to Gold Coast zero three and thirty minutes of play, twelve scores from fifteen entries. That's insane. Everyone was like, oh, Carlton can't kick goals. They're struggling to get into the four lines. They come out here and do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and most of them were coming straight out of the sand bounce. Now, it's good when you get one or two, but they were getting numbers up, so I don't know it was as much as as good as it is for Carlton. Just feel for Stewey Due because we love him. We do love them, and they were coming off back to back good performances up there, not in cans which is.
Speaker 1: In Queensland, in Northern Territory.
Speaker 2: I went in the Northern Territory. There was a couple of ex Blues that were turning it on, but in particular Levi Kasbod, who kicked his two hundredth career goal which is great, that's good. But there was one goal that he kicked in the pocket.
Speaker 1: Fifty seconds left in the game.
Speaker 2: The game's over, but a fight broke out at a ball up situation. Levi switched on nominates about thirty meters away from this thing and comes barreling in like a big locomotive, snatches the ball out of the ruck, kicks it on his right, snap across the body from the boundary line, and it goes through the the one foot gap there would have been to fit this ball through. This incredible goal. The TV director he missed it because he's like, they're all looking at the fight.
Speaker 1: He's locking up the door on the way out already.
Speaker 2: Everyone bloody missed it. And it cuts back and everyone's like, what just happened, And it's like Levi kicked the goal, a miraculous goal from the pocket, which is insane.
Speaker 1: It was insane. I love the rock goal out of the rucke. It's a real disrespectful thing, real disrespectful thing, Like time he could got two kicked on him in the Grand Final last year against Tom Hawkins kicks on him and it was flating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's flating. It's always a big key forward that's like just a big boy. They're like one ten, one, twenty kegs and they're just not moving three trunks. Hawkins is great at it. You get someone like Charlie Dixon, Big Charlie.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is a great feeling at the Crimes and Football Club this week. Everyone is down. They're back on board. They've pulled their memberships, you know, back into their pocket and they're back in the back on they're cheering their team off again. Yeah, we'd love to see that. We love to see that.
Speaker 2: Is it a good time to get the buy or is it a bad time to get the buy? Do they want to carry the momentum to go straight into the next one and have another crack or you just you're just happy to be happy going into the buy, reset and start again.
Speaker 1: Either one's good, I think, But if I had to choose, I'll probably choose momentum. I think they would probably would love to have the same bye week as us. Come back, played this game this week and then continued on with us right this experience and being like, hey came back, we freshened up from the by you know, we had a big winners our first game back and we're going to continue the momentum through the back end of the year. That would be the ideal scenario. Yes, they're getting to go on a bye week, which has been a very stressful time of the Carlson Football Club. They're getting a bit of a release from that pressure, obviously from playing well over the weekend, but also a week off. Therefore they're not having to get as much media around them, so they can all get away from it all, go up to ball your Queensland, wherever it is you want to go, to get some sign and just detox from all the craziness that's been happening. And that's I think something they'll put them in good stead. And the real question will be the next game they play if they can continue on this trajectory of being able to convert goals inside fifty.
Speaker 2: Now I hope that they went and just got on the piss after the game. Now, I was trying to think of a way to put that more eloquently that day to be a beer, But like I just hope that they use this opportunity to come together as a group, have a few beers and go like boys, the things that we can do and the pressure not like that Gold Coast didn't bring any pressure, but when the it was like they the floodgates open there in the second and they just started running and playing free flowing footy and it was good to see and it was just it just reminded you of what you saw from Carlton last year. So it's hopefully they can just reset go like, let's dump all the pressure and let's just have a crack at the second half of the year.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of love for Crowton right now on this podcast.
Speaker 2: No, because I would like to see them up so they can get knocked back down.
Speaker 1: But last year would have been your favorite year. I feel like it.
Speaker 2: Was pretty amazing. I did like Melbourne losing it the death with the Lynden Dunn high ten in the crowd to like, there's just moments where I feel like as a spectator, and I don't care if it's Carlton or someone else, but I feel like there needs to be a team with tons of expectation that performs really poorly. That's just another level of excitement because if you come out and it's like North don't win many games or Hawthorne don't win many games, they delisted half their side, so it's like you're expecting it. So to have a team that you don't barrack for, have all this negative attention and like they're going through it all. It is a bit fun to watch tea sippy, a bit bit of gossip, bit of you know, stuff going on for with you and it takes it away from your team, which is always good as well.
Speaker 1: Gold Coast they are I could have been the top eight. They're won this so it's a very I mean I said it last week. I said Gold Coast to finish in the top eight this year. Yeah, and this one was one of those games you need to you need to get a dub on the board.
Speaker 2: At least be super competitive because at this stage in the round they could have gone inside the top eight, inside the top eight, which is insane. The last time they were good was pre Gary Ablett doing his shoulder against Collingwood.
Speaker 1: Brent McCaffer shout out little he was on my flight to BALI actually only shout out to CAF. Yeah he was him, his wife and his kids, very lovely.
Speaker 2: Great bloke. He was tagging Gary Ablett and just smashed his shoulder to pieces and that was kind of the demise of Gold Coast Sons, but they they were so close, but I hate to say it, it was the most Gold Coast Sons thing ever, just to it's like, we all want to see some success there.
Speaker 1: We all do. We want Queensland footy to be a success.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's just like, just win it. I want to see you win it. I want to see you in the eighth. I want to see you be successful. I want to see some of that. And it was just so gold Coasty to see this happen. It was like, just break the mold, come out, get three like good wins on the trot and set up the second half of your season. And they just not only could they just not do it. It was just a real deflating letdown. And I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling I'm sure they would feel it more than anyone.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I've still got them in the eighth. I've still got faith in them. Like Jessic Cameron, it went in the common Metal.
Speaker 2: The problem with the eight mace, I don't know if you know this.
Speaker 1: There's only eight slots, so you think I've put about fourteen teams into the eighth. This year.
Speaker 2: It's just there's so many years, you know. I just love love love Love is good. Not that I not that I know that much about it. But let's just er podcast. Let's jump into the North Bulldogs game, and this was North is a good team to watch.
Speaker 1: Keep saying it every week.
Speaker 2: There. I think both of these pseudo tazzy teams lifting because we've got the Hawks they're playing some up and about good foot and then we got North. I reckon both of them. But Cody Weightman, big plugger Cody Weightman up there, playing his fiftieth game, kicked five goals in two quarters, finished with six for the game.
Speaker 1: Oh what about stat line? Probably weight Man.
Speaker 2: It was not that you want to be on this end of things. But Griffin low was on a poster just the it was a beauty. The photographer must have just you know, was Stratton into the office to drop that SD card on your boss's desk because Griffin Loan's all stretched out.
Speaker 1: On the back of the Specky just clunks it.
Speaker 2: It's rough.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it was a beautiful mark. Mark of the Year contender. I'm not sure if it's number one for the year, but as of right now, it definitely makes top five.
Speaker 2: But you say, why is he up there? Mace, Why is Cody Weightman playing the big key forward? Good question where you look around the ground and it's because the big key ford, Aaron Norton's playing playing back. We got to we're shifting the magnets around.
Speaker 1: It was a big going on. Liam Jones broke his arm and that was not looking good the way he came up holding it. I was like, oh, no, you can tell right away something's happened. Yeah, something serious has happened.
Speaker 2: Well, being kicked in the arm. We'll do that, we'll do it. Apparently he fractured one of the bones. Has got to get a played in there. But it's bizarre how these things work in footy because I don't know what's the difference between most of these. But you know, if I break an arm, I'm done for the bed ridden. Bring me some soup. I'm struggling. But you know these players would be like, oh, he'll be back in two weeks, it's nice and just cut me open chucks and plates in there, and we're called good. Get her going. So we see how that goes. Does Norton stay back and Josh Bruce comes in and plays forward. Josh Bruce obviously got dropped after the game against Port Charlie had a big nine out against him. Do you bring it back in? And it's just status quo. Do you bring back Josh Bruce, you go straight back in the back line, you bring Norton back into the forward line, and it's just, you know, we play as usual. It's a at least they've got players that can slot into these slots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got both of these teams have a bye week coming up, so they've got a little bit of time to make this decision. But I think you move Josh Bruce back to back as a defender fall back, and then you move not And back forward. He's too important in their forward structure not to not have him there. Notton's too important to the structure not and have him in the forward line.
Speaker 2: A lot of people, a lot of people because Norton played like his junior footy back, a lot of people people reckon that he's a gun defender. So it's like potentially the whole Darcy Moore situation, are you playing a Darcy Moore up forward when he could be you know, all Australian captain down back so you could flip him. And then we know Josh Bruce can do freakish things. He can kick backs, So I don't know he was before he got injured in twenty twenty one, I'm going to say before they went into the flag against Melbourne, he was second in the colemt. Yeah, he was killing. It's absolutely killing, insane. And then you know they've got almost a logjam of forwards up there with hugil Hagen, and then they brought lobbying over the off season, so he's like, yep, hand up, I'll go down back. People weren't dynamic, so she's he can play everywhere. But here's my advice to him. Right, I saw another fellow rolling around here on this game, Zoraha, rocking a bit of an accessory. We say a bit of a Travis k cloke about him. He was rocking the glove just to glo the glove, the old glove. I think Josh Bruce chunk that glove on. You might kick ten right throwing out there best idea. Now, I think that we're coming up on one of the old time stories of this podcast.
Speaker 1: This is a great one.
Speaker 2: As we know, you went off to Bali a bit of rest and relaxation. And you met someone on the plane over.
Speaker 1: Sitting next to me. And I must say this, the most lovely people sitting next to me, all around me. It wasn't just next to me. It was like I was aisle seat and these were two the right, one to the left, two behind me, two back to the life like it is surrounded by me right now. I'm just sitting there, got Darcy Moore and Jamie o. It's same flight. They're in business class front as you do. What is this fly the wild fly boyeve me? And then there's about eight women that are all there and they on their shirts, all have matching shirts. It was someone's fiftieth birthday. It was the Mini Pause fiftieth Birthday Extravaganza up in Bali. So I'm sitting in the middle list these women. They are hurting and hollering for like, get on the plane. I'm going this is gonna be a great experience.
Speaker 2: They have titled it the menopause.
Speaker 1: This is their words. This is their words. Everyone do not yeah, do you not put that on me? And I'm sitting there, I'm going, Okay, whoever gets to sit next to these women they'ren't getting the air full for the next six hours, right. Luckily enough, that person have to be yours truly. Well, the ladies goes that's Harry Sheezel's mom, and I was like, oh, hey, how are you. So we start having a conversation, right and in my mind I'm going, oh, Chezel, next time we play you, I've got six hours of dirt on you. So you best believe you should not be anywhere near me because I will be throwing the trash talk around the football field for the whole game.
Speaker 2: So you went to Bali with Harry Shechezel's mom.
Speaker 1: Essentially lovely ladies, great time in Bali. Six hours on that plane ride was didn't get a wink of sleep, I'll say that didn't get a sing a little bit asleep, but it was all good fun.
Speaker 2: Jeez, I feel bad for him next time you guys.
Speaker 1: Come up against him.
Speaker 2: The title of the episode mat she those seashells.
Speaker 1: We've lost it with this game. Yes, the game.
Speaker 2: There's one more odd thing that came out of this was Bailey Smith running laps post game.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting one. I don't know why. The thing. I think if I were to hear that, not hear his name, right, I would think that's the substitute. Yeah, that would be the person that didn't play a full game, right. But the fact they played a full game and they want to do I mean credit to them. It's business. You know, you're going really well and you want to be better, and I give you full credit to that. That's something I haven't really seen too often. I was kind of wondering what was going on.
Speaker 2: Od I think we'll have to wait to see what else comes out of this. Watch this space now someone we talk about every week, Big suit me Nick Larky signed on to twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 2: We love everything about North Melbourne, so we love the soove signing on. We love players sticking around and they've got a team to really build on. Let's jump into the game for next week.
Speaker 1: Net week, that's forecast.
Speaker 2: They're right on the edge of the ap so they got a lot to play for. You guys are up there Fairway could probably pull put your foot off the gas, just glide into finals.
Speaker 1: It's a big game, Brandon, start playing it down. It's a massive game. And Adelaide's one of those teams. Hey top eight I'd say this year. I know Top eight's getting expanded, but seriously, they've been playing really well. They're I mean, Textwalker kicked ten last time they played ten at Adelaide Oval. So that matchup versus Darcy Moore Box Office their forward line very potent, very good. But Darcy Moore playing on texts. He's a big boy. He's a big boy.
Speaker 2: So he's got He's gonna have to rely on a bit of speed and a bit of agility.
Speaker 1: Those are two things he has.
Speaker 2: So how do you see this game playing out? What do you who do you go up against?
Speaker 1: Big o Brian and Brian the big fella. Let's help his Twitter accounts? Okay this week he's actually like the nicest guy. I actually remember that happened with Nick Nad. I was like so confused because he's like a lovely human. I was like, oh, I feel bad now, Well.
Speaker 2: You got to g yourself up for games. Has there ever been a player that you're like, who's the most intimidating player you've ever come up against?
Speaker 1: Intimidating? Probably Nick nat I'll never forget once. The first time I played him was my third game ever playing and we're at what's the other not in the new optic stating the old one the walker or something like that. I think we were there, and I remember at one point Levi Greenwood and him got in a scuffle and like Nick NAT's over the top of him, like shove him into the ground. And I was kind of like ten meters away, and I see Levi look at me as he's getting his face pushed into the ground like help being I'm going And I had to like jog over there and be like, please get off, please get off.
Speaker 2: Of whenever you're ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Levi. Of course, as soon as I hit like nick nad Levi, I just darts off and his on. You never see him again.
Speaker 2: He's a genuine big boy. He's a big big boy. So do you ever do anything to g yourself up to play big games or against big boys.
Speaker 1: I do write notes on every single player, like before I play them. I wouldn't say it's probably like negative on them. It's more like you know the positive and you know, like if you kind of rooms for improvement, you might be able to exploit and then some other things that they do really well. So I don't think there's anything I do per.
Speaker 2: Sale you write little notes on them everyone, Yeah, do you just make up stuff to make yourself feel good.
Speaker 1: I'll just say, you know what I'm good at and what they're not as good at sometimes, and man, where you can, like I said, be able to have a little bit of an advantage against them, because I mean, like I've played until Brian for a long time, so I kind of like right now I could think of all different things. I'd probably be writing down my notes sheet. We won't go.
Speaker 2: And something very big happened throughout the week. Yes, Scott Emblebrie and your coach, Fly Craig and Craig Craig, as you like to say in America, sign new contracts. Pendal's on for one more year, fly on for another two. We know Pendals is really going to sign on for another ten one year.
Speaker 1: I just want to see him hit four hundred. He's going to get it pretty easier, would mate. He's just going to keep he deserves it. He deserves four hundred games.
Speaker 2: Well, he just he's not getting bad. He's just still a really high standard. You look at all the stat sheets and he's still up the top, which is pretty crazy because I feel like something that we do with these legends of the game, is like when they drop ten percent on their lofty heights, we're like, oh they're done. Where it's like ten percent on their lofty heights is still twenty five percent above everyone else. So yeah, but not saying that about our fearless leader. Scott Pendlebury an amazing career to date, and I just feel like it's got twenty more to go. And back in the day he used to say, it feels weird when you start to celebrate these moments because it feels like it's getting wrapped up where he just feels like he's.
Speaker 1: Got plenty of Yeah, keep going.
Speaker 2: So it'd be pretty amazing to see he'll knock off that record, I reckon and fly another two years.
Speaker 1: That's the reward for effort. I'd say that's Adelaide takes some notes.
Speaker 2: I was thinking two years pretty easy. Just not had a bit of.
Speaker 1: Free time now after quitting your day job, so just saying you should do it.
Speaker 2: So excited for the game on the weekend, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It would be good. It'd be good to get back out there and just get back into the week I guess schedule of you know, game every weekend We've got a few six day breaks coming up, but yeah, this is it's been nice to get away for a bit, feel refreshed, and then we'll start kind of getting into you know the details of the game this week, which would be good fun.
Speaker 2: You feel fresh, like fresh fresh.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I'm staying well. I had COVID before and then like went on the like I was just like exhausted, and then went to Bali and then got a massage every day and was doing ice bass and sign us every day to wake up at like seven am, and doing the gym, and it was just nice to have a bit of structure in a sense of like recovery for a week and then enjoying like real nice food and the cy balls and smoothies and juices and like all this stuff just to you know, cleanse the body a bit, which was good. And it was also thirty degrees every day, which definitely helps.
Speaker 2: And I saw your tweet. Your tweet was like, hey, I went to a gym and some bullshit that you tweeted. You're just tweeting that as like, hey I'm going to the gym. All the coaches at the gym.
Speaker 1: There was no photo evidence right.
Speaker 2: Inside there's nothing in the bullshit.
Speaker 1: I was at the gym every single day. Yeah, well it was just to take a sognage and dip in the pool. That's up for a debate.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I'm glad to have you back, but we're back at it.
Speaker 1: You rolled in.
Speaker 2: I was like, you look all nice and cleansed. I've been back here slaving away in the trenches as per usual. But that's it for this episode.
Speaker 1: That is it. It's been a packed full episode for a bye week, but it's been very good and it's gonna be exciting week I had. It's some big matches coming up this week. Like we said, Geelong versus Melbourne is the one I think I'm gonna look out for the most. It's gonna be it's really interesting over there. Gm h B I. But make sure you listen in obviously. Tune in next week too. We'll have another Footy wrap up from the week.
Speaker 2: You guys say goodbye to the Sunday slot. That can piss right off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that can just get But in all honestly, it's gonna be a great week ahead. It's gonna be some exiting stuff and we keep saying it, but we will, we will launch the march.
Speaker 2: It's coming. It is genuinely definitely.
Speaker 1: Your issues along the way, but we get we're getting there. It is it is coming. To make sure you have a lookout for that. But that is it for the week. Thanks everyone for tuning in and we will chat to you soon, yeah,